• Published 3rd Jul 2013
  • 614 Views, 17 Comments

Run Rabbit Run - BluePhoenyx



A My Little Pony and Watership Down crossover.

  • ...
0
 17
 614

Ch. 3 Sugar Cube Corner

Author's Note:

Alright everyone sorry this took so long. No one would edit for me and with school/new job getting in the way I hardly had time. Hopefully I'll be back on a regular schedule

“General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him.”

-Watership Down, Richard Adams.

Snapdragon did his best to follow the bouncing pink pony as she ranted on about the new flavors of cupcakes, whatever those were, she had just invented. She was just finishing her rant as he collapsed onto the floor, his exhaustion over taking him.

“Oh and my newest creation is the banana split sunday with a cherry on top hold the whipped cream but it actually has whipped cream frosting! I call it the Banana ramma.” The pink pony said as she bounced around in a circle. Fluttershy and Applejack were just finishing the cupcake she mentioned.

“That’s great ‘n all Pinkie, but we’re here for somethin’ else.” Applejack said as she swallowed the last bite of cupcake.

“What is it AJ?” The pink creature asked.

“We were wondering if you could let Snapdragon rest for a while. He’s badly injured and I’m afraid I over exerted the poor thing on his walk.” Fluttershy said nodding to Snapdragon.

“Ohhh what a cute little bunny!” The pink one said. Snapdragon growled a little.

“Frith above I’m a rabbit!” He snapped and started to stand, but wobbled and fell down again. The pink one jumped a little.

“He can talk?” She asked.

Applejack snickered a little. “Yeah he does, now can you let him sleep for a spell?”

“Of course!” Pinkie said and Fluttershy picked Snapdragon up.

The proud soldier protested at first but soon his exhaustion overtook him. He was laid down in a bed upstairs and a bowl of water was laid beside him. Rabbits, when facing a slow death, will find a corner of some secluded refuge and die in peace. Having no corner of the bed to truly hide in, Snapdragon made due with the pillows and blankets, which he scratched up to make more comfortable. When Fluttershy arrived to see how he was doing, she smiled at the little grave he’d built for himself.

“You won’t die today Snapdragon.” She said softly to wake him without startling him. The rabbit lifted his head and yawned a little.

“What? Oh, yes, I suppose not.” He said and stretched.

His muscles were stiff but if he worked them out, he could run faster than El-ahrairah in case he needed to. His peace with the pegasus was short lived as the pink pony jumped out from nowhere, scaring Snapdragon to death, and blew on a piece of plastic that spat out a long paper tube and made a noise. Around her, bits of colored paper flew up into the air and cascaded around the party.

“Good morning!” The pink thing squealed, “Well I guess it’s more like good afternoon isn’t it? Did you sleep well? I made you a cake while you slept, my name is Pinkie Pie by the way, anyway I hope you like carrot cake, of course you like carrot cake you’re a bunny, whoops i mean rabbit silly me!” She laughed. Snapdragon wobbled a little as he tried to keep up with her rapid speech pattern.

“Um, pleasure to meet you.” Snapdragon said. He sat up, scratched behind his ear at a rapid pace then sniffed around.

It was a habit he knew he’d have a hard time breaking. He was exceptionally alert, even by rabbit standards. He almost always knew when a fox was going to come near the warren well before even the wide patrols knew. His keen ears were even more amazing. Once, he could have sworn he heard the breathing of a human as it laid traps along the path to the water hole. He warned his superiors and the General took care of it. Thinking of the General made him shudder and that caught Fluttershy’s attention.

“Would you like to go home now Snapdragon?” She asked delicately. Before the rabbit could answer, Pinkie Pie jumped in.

“But you haven’t met all our other friends! I just invited them over for a huuuuggggeeeee welcome to ponyville party!” Pinkie Pie sat on the floor and stuck out her bottom lip. Snapdragon’s back leg thumped a little.

Many know a rabbit will thump it’s feet on the ground to warn its comrades of approaching danger but sometimes they do so when they are excited or happy as well. Snapdragon couldn’t explain what was making him excited.

“I suppose I could stay for awhile.” He said. But I really need to find a new home He thought.

Pinkie Pie exploded in a cheer and raced out of the room, past Applejack who was bringing Winona in. Snapdragon took a step back on the bed.

“What’d y’all say to her?” Applejack asked.

Snapdragon gulped a little. “I said I’d stay for awhile.”

Applejack laughed. “Oh, you done it now.” She said and her dog barked. “Snap I think you and Winona got off on the wrong hoof, er-paw, She ain’t so bad once you get to know her and don’t worry she only eats her kibble.”

The dog placed her paws on the bed and wagged her tail happily at the rabbit. They sniffed noses and a silent conversation began through body language.

“Hello long-ears, sorry about earlier, I was just so excited.”

“My name is Snapdragon”

“My name is Winona, would you like to play?”

“I don’t know how.”

“I’ll show you, chase me.”

The dog jumped away and began running back and forth. Snapdragon jumped down and watched her wizz by before giving chase. It is the most unusual thing for a rabbit to give chase to something, especially a predator. They may charge a weasel or even a hawk if it thinks it can get away, but in play it was something else. Snapdragon felt a new life being pumped through his veins with each hop and was soon happily bounding after the dog. He rushed up and batted her tail with his paw.

“Tail tag, you’re Elil!” He said. Winona paused.

“Elil?” She asked. Snapdragon froze mid hop.

“It um... it means Enemy in my language. Tail tag is a game young rabbits play to practice running away from predators.” The dog’s tail never stopped wagging.

“I understand! Well then, let’s play!” She barked and Snapdragon raced off again.

Fluttershy smiled as the pair chased each other but frowned when she saw Snapdragon’s leg starting to stiffen. He tripped over a sock and fell. Winona wasn’t expecting it and skidded to a stop over top of him. At Snapdragon’s angle, all he could see were her fangs and claws and he suddenly became very aggressive. He kicked at her and bit her leg hard enough to get her to yelp and run off behind her protective owner.

“What’d you do!?” Applejack demanded. Snapdragon groaned as he stood up, his leg dragging behind him.

“She scared me to death!” Snapdragon defended.

“Ain’t no reason to go bitin’ her.” Applejack said.

“I didn’t mean to scare you little long-ears.” Winona said, sounding as a whimper to her pony friends.

Snapdragon sighed as he stood up. He busied himself with a bit of grooming before finally apologizing. Applejack nodded as Winona playfully licked the rabbit, making him shudder in disgust of the smell, then he began to walk out. He barely made it to the front door before it swung wide open and a dazzling white unicorn wearing a long flowing lavender dress to match her royal purple mane walked in as if she owned the place.

“Pinkie Pie!” She called out in a whining voice. She hadn’t noticed the rabbit. “Where is that cake I ordered for my unveiling tomorrow? You said you’d have it delivered.”

Pinkie Pie came bouncing, literally, over to Snapdragon and the new pony. “Oh sorry Rarity, I got distracted.” She apologized. The other pony snortered.

“There’s a shock.” The white mare grumbled. She looked down and squealed in fright at the sight of the dingy rabbit. “Good heavens Fluttershy! You need to take better care of your animals, he’s filthy!”

“I beg your pardon!” Snapdragon said in offence. Rarity nearly jumped into the hooves of another pony, this one a flying blue blur of rainbows, who stopped as well when she thought she heard a rabbit speak.

“Oh my Celestia, he can talk!” Rarity jumped.

The blur landed beside him and at first said nothing. Snapdragon stood in awe of her and completely ignored Rarity. There was a strained silence before Snapdragon finally bowed to Rainbow Dash who looked even more confused.

“P...Prince Rainbow, my lord.” Snapdragon stammered. The blue pegasus was taken aback.

“Prince?” She asked. Snapdragon’s ears flicked at her voice. He went to the only logical explanation.

“Forgive me, are you his mate?” He asked in confusion.

“Mate!?” She asked and turned to the others. Fluttershy glided over and picked Snapdragon up.

“Snapdragon this is Rainbow Dash and Rarity.” She introduced. “Girls, this is Snapdragon.”

“That’s an awesome sounding name.” Rainbow Dash said, completely forgetting the prince thing. “And those are some rad scars, you get em in a fight or something?”

“Yes I did, except this one.” He said nodding to the three scars on his back leg. “These show I’m an officer.”

“An officer huh? I didn’t know rabbits had armies.” Rainbow Dash laughed.

“I thought rabbits were cute and sweet.” Rarity pouted.

Snapdragon shook his head. “We can be vicious when we want to be.” He said.

Rainbow Dash bent down and held her hooves up. “Oh yeah? Well, let’s see some of your moves!” She dared. Snapdragon smirked to himself then rushed her, dodging left quickly and slamming all four of his feet into her side, then used her body to shove off and land at a safe distance away. Rainbow Dash was sent skidding across the floor, only a foot or two, but was still impressed by the kick. The others began laughing at the high strung pony as she stood up and shook her head.

“That was some kick.” She said and ruffled Snapdragon’s fur with a hoof. “You’re alright little guy.”

Snapdragon stood proudly for a moment, then suddenly fell over. Fluttershy was at his side in an instant. The other ponies rushed over as well.

“Is he alright?” Pinkie Pie asked quickly.

“He’s fine.” Fluttershy answered after a moment. “The poor thing’s just exhausted. his injuries still haven’t healed yet.”

“I think y’all better get him in bed.” Applejack suggested.

Fluttershy picked the rabbit up and glided back upstairs to the bed Pinkie Pie had offered. She tucked him in and went back to her friends, never seeing the white rabbit in the corner, watching carefully with cold eyes...

Comments ( 3 )

3839262

well you're very welcome ^^ as I said before I thought it was a very serious issue that there was not a cross over like this (that I could find at least) I hope you enjoy it!

Admittedly, it is a shame this was never really continued. You can't ever find mlp fanfictions based off Watership down.

In the hope that Hazel shall join Snapdragon...

Login or register to comment