• Published 24th Jun 2013
  • 505 Views, 13 Comments

The Great Divide - Venomous Woe



When Princess Luna is abducted, Twilight Sparkle must embark to save her, and she must face the greatest threat Equestria has ever known

  • ...
0
 13
 505

Gestalt Awakens

Twilight's eyes slowly fluttered open, but all she could see was blackness. Her mind was foggy and scrambled, and she struggled to remember where she was and what she was doing. Her body felt stiff and rigid, and she struggled to lift herself off of the cold, hard ground. Slowly, her memory began to return, and she focused magical energy into her horn, giving light to her surroundings.

Sure enough, she was still in the cave, although the diamond dog that knocked her and her friends out was nowhere to be found. Her head felt light and airy, and she clutched her temple in her hoof and starting rubbing it in a vain attempt to alleviate her dizziness. After rubbing it for a few seconds, Twilight felt a sharp jab of worry. Something that should be perched atop her head was no longer there. Her Element of Harmony was gone.

She looked around her at the limp, motionless bodies of her friends, paying special attention to their necks. Sure enough, their Elements were missing as well. She went over toward the nearest body, which happened to be Rainbow Dash, and started to nudge her with her hoof.

“Hey! Rainbow Dash!” She addressed. “Wake up!”

Rainbow Dash began to stir. Her eyes slowly opened, and she let out a couple of soft groans. Twilight backed away to give her some more space. Rainbow Dash stared at Twilight for a minute, and said in a meek voice, “Twilight? That you?”

“Yes, Rainbow Dash, it's me,” Twilight responded. “Now get up. Something awful's happened.”

“Wha-what?” Rainbow Dash questioned. “What's going on?” She began to rub her forehead. “Oh man, my head's all fuzzy...”

“It's the Elements, Dash! They're gone!” Twilight explained. Rainbow Dash lay there for a moment, still processing the information. Once she did, her eyes suddenly shot open.

“What?” Rainbow Dash exclaimed. She sprang up to her feet in an instant, ignoring her weakened and drugged state. She looked Twilight straight in the eye, panicked. “What do you mean the Elements are gone?”

“That's just it, Dash! They're missing!” Twilight responded. “Look!” She gestured toward the others. Rainbow Dash squinted across the cave, looking at the other ponies. The realization and gravity of the situation struck her like a wrecking ball. Her face contorted into one of worry, then one of anger.

“I bet that diamond dog took them while we were out!” Rainbow Dash proposed.

“I was thinking the same thing,” Twilight responded.

“Well, what are we going to do now, Twilight?” Rainbow Dash wondered. “We can't just ignore this.”

“I agree, but we need to be at our peak strength before we can do anything,” Twilight explained. “Let's wake the others, then we'll decide what to do.”

The two ponies immediately wandered over to their friends, nudging them with their hooves until they woke. They moved across the cave until all their friends were awake. Twilight allowed the formerly unconscious ponies and Spike to gain their senses back, then began to speak.

“All right everypony, listen up!” She started. The ponies and Spike all turned their attention to her. “The Elements of Harmony have been stolen!”

The ponies looked at her oddly at first, then placed their hooves on their necks where the Elements should be. When they realized they were no longer there, they all gasped.

“Was it that diamond dog?” Rarity asked. “Did she take them?”

“That's what we think!” Rainbow Dash replied.

“Well, what are we gonna do now, Twilight?” Applejack asked. “We don't know how long we've been out. That diamond dog could be miles away by now!”

“Hold on, let me think,” Twilight said. She turned around and started to walk deeper into the cave. “I could probably use some kind of...no that wouldn't work...how about...no that won't work either...maybe...” As she walked, a crumpling sound could be heard under her hoof. She could feel something crisp and dry; she seemed to have stepped on something.

She lifted up her hoof and examined it. Stuck to the bottom of it was a small piece of paper. She used her magic to levitate the paper in the air, and began to uncrumple it.

“What's that, Twilight?” Pinkie Pie wondered aloud.

“I'm not sure,” Twilight responded, still unfolding the paper. “That diamond dog must have dropped it.” The paper was successfully unfolded, revealing its secrets to Twilight.

“What's it say?” Spike asked.

“It says, 'I await your arrival in Fillydelphia,'” Twilight began. “'Signed, Nightshade.'”

The group collectively gasped. “Wait, did Nightshade have something to do with this?” Applejack asked.

“He must have,” Twilight answered. She released her magic grip on the paper, letting it float gently to the ground. “I'd even bet that that diamond dog is working for him.”

“But why would a diamond dog work for a mere pony?” Rarity asked.

“I don't know,” Twilight replied. “All I know is, we need to get to Fillydelphia.”

“Why don't we just have you teleport us there?” Pinkie Pie asked. “I mean, Nightshade teleported himself here. Surely you can do it.”

Twilight shook her head. “A pony teleporting on their own magic is limited by distance,” she explained. “It takes a lot of energy to teleport from city to city. Nightshade is probably using some kind of rune so that he doesn't have to use his own magic.”

“Well, where in tarnation are we gonna get a rune or whatever, Twilight?” Applejack asked.

“Hmm...” Twilight muttered. She stewed on the situation, racking her brain for any possibilities, until finally, she came up with an idea. “Rainbow Dash, do you still have Nightshade's cape?”

Rainbow Dash looked at her, confused. “Yeah, I have it right here,” Rainbow Dash said, holding up the cape. “But what do you need it for?”

Twilight extended a hoof. “Let me see it for a second,” she ordered.

Rainbow Dash maintained her confused look, but handed Twilight the cape all the same. Twilight snatched it from her hoof, and immediately flipped it over. Inspecting the cloth under the light of her horn, she found that the symbol she saw on the cape was still there.

“Perfect!” Twilight exclaimed, pointing to the symbol. “That rune he used to abduct Luna is still on the cape! We can use this to get to Fillydelphia!”

Applejack looked at Twilight, both ecstatic and astonished. “Well, I'll be,” She muttered. “Good job, Twilight!”

“Aww, yeah! Now we have a chance to show Nightshade who's boss!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed.

Twilight turned toward Spike, focused on the matter at hand. “We need to get the Princess in on this as well,” she explained. “Spike, can you send Nightshade's note to her?”

Spike smiled at Twilight, and said, “Sure thing! Just leave it to me!” He went over and picked up the slip of paper. Holding it up to his mouth, he took a deep breath, and exhaled a sea foam-green flame. It consumed the paper, reducing it to ashes, which then scattered and disappeared.

Satisfied that Celestia would receive her message, she turned toward the rest of the group. “All right, everypony, put a hoof on the cape!” She demanded. “I'm going to get us to Fillydelphia!” All the ponies cheered and complied. Spike, too, put his foot on the cloth.

Twilight focused her energy; her breathing began to deepen. She looked straight on the symbol on the cape, building energy in her horn. She imagined Fillydelphia, with its skyscrapers reaching up the heavens, and the streets crowded with ponies of all colors. Finally, she let go. A bright purple beam struck the symbol, and the symbol began to glow. A purple aura radiated from the cape, enshrouding everyone in its light. The light became blinding; Twilight couldn't even see her friends. The light shone for several seconds, until it finally subsided, and Twilight and her friends stood in something wet.

Twilight looked around the area. She seemed to be in a large tunnel, illuminated only by grates in the ceiling letting in the morning sun. The walls were solid concrete, as was the floor, and they were standing in a trail of murky water up to their ankles flowing further into the tunnel. A rank smell filled the air. The ponies all took in the new scenery, until Pinkie Pie broke the silence.

“So, uh, where are we?” she asked. “Is this Fillydelphia?”

Twilight glanced around the tunnel once more. She surmised that there was only one place they could be. “Looks like we're in the sewers,” She observed.

Rarity's eyes shot open and her mouth contorted into a startled grimace. “Ugh! Twilight!” She bellowed. “Why did you take us into the sewers, of all places? Ugh! I am standing in pony waste!”

Applejack guffawed at Rarity's antics. “Oh Rarity, always afraid to get her hooves dirty!” She mocked.

Rarity shot a glance at Applejack. “This is more than just dirty, Applejack!” She explained. “This is...this is...obscene! Oh, I cannot wash my hooves enough times!”

“Will you two stop? This isn't getting us anywhere!” Rainbow Dash asked annoyed. She then turned towards Twilight. “But yeah, this is weird. Why'd we end up in the sewers?”

Twilight pondered on that question. “Hmm, it's possible to have a rune teleport to one location and that location only,” Twilight answered. “This might be what happened.”

“But Twilight,” Fluttershy interrupted. “If the rune only teleports to one location, then that would mean...”

Twilight nodded in agreement. “That's right,” She started. “Nightshade must have sent Luna here!”

“Then what are we doing just standing around here?” Pinkie Pie wondered aloud. “Let's go find her!” The ponies all nodded in agreement, and began to walk down the tunnel.

The sloshing of their hooves in the muck echoed throughout the sewers, making the only sound. The tunnel seemed to stretch on forever. No other paths presented themselves, so they had to go forward. Several minutes passed, then the tunnel stopped in front of them, and sharply bent to the right. They continued to follow the tunnel, and just as they turned, in the light of a grate, they saw Princess Luna.

The ponies all gasped. The moon princess was trapped inside a pyramidal cage. The bars of the cage were all gold, and covered with runic engravings. Between the bars was some kind of blue force field, and pipe-like tendrils extended out from it, tethering the cage to the ground. Laid out beside the cage in blue spheres were the Elements of Harmony, arranged in a six-pointed star pattern.

“Wha...what is this?” Twilight wondered aloud.

Luna wearily raised her head toward the sound of the ponies gasping, and her face bent into a weak smile. “Twilight...Sparkle...” She wheezed. “You came...”

Twilight approached the princess. “Of course I did, Princess!” She affirmed. “There was no way we were going to leave you!”

Luna's smile faded. “Twilight...this cage...” She began. “It's making...us weak...We can't...” Luna's knees wobbled, and she collapsed inside the cage under her own weight.

“Luna!” Applejack cried. “Are you all right?”

Luna struggled to get back on her feet. The ponies could see her staggered breathing as she slowly and shakily rose. Her head hung down, gasping for air. With all of her strength, she turned toward the ponies, and solemnly uttered, “Get us out of here...before they...”

Twilight raised a hoof to hush her. “Save your strength, Princess!” she said. “We'll get you out!”

“I'm afraid that's not going to happen,” a deep voice rang out from deeper in.

Twilight peered beyond the cage and saw three ominous figures cloaked in shadow approaching. “Who's there?” Twilight demanded. The light from the grate began to shine on the figures, and Twilight all saw what they were. On the far left, there was a dragon, barely small enough to fit into the sewer, staring at her intensely with yellow eyes and a serious expression. His royal-blue scales contrasted with the gold of the morning sun. On the far right, the diamond dog from the cave stood. And in the center was none other than Nightshade himself.

“Ah, I see you've arrived early,” Nightshade said, his face contorted into a wicked grin. “Doesn't matter. You're still far too late to stop us.”

“Nightshade!” Twilight yelled, her face livid with anger. She pointed to the cage. “What in Equestria is this? What are you doing to Luna?”

“A fascinating contraption that is,” the deep voice boomed again. Twilight noticed that it came from the dragon. “It's a cage that permits nothing from entering or leaving it without the key. And the force field with its extensions allow for the easy extraction of magical energy from whatever is inside it.”

Fluttershy gasped. “Extraction of magical energy?” she repeated. “You're taking away Luna's power?”

“Mm-hmm,” Nightshade affirmed. “And you have a front-row seat to see what we do with it.” Nightshade's smirk never left his face. “You see, you have been cordially invited to see the first glimpse into this world's future. A future in which everyone shall be friends.”

Rainbow Dash flew up and stared Nightshade down. “What are you babbling about?” She bellowed. “How is hurting Luna going to make everyone be friends?”

“If you would permit him a chance to speak, he will explain,” A cool, feminine voice sounded out behind them.

They all turned to look. Standing behind them, as if they had appeared out of thin air, were Siegfried the griffin, and the alicorn statue from Nightshade's penthouse.

Rarity's looked at Siegfried with a curious expression. “Siegfried? What are you doing here?” Rarity inquired. “And why in the world is that statue there too?”

The statue's wings suddenly flew open, the white feathers glimmering in the light. Moving with the grace and dexterity of a swan, it marched of its own accord towards Rarity. She and the other ponies all hopped back, startled.

“Either my eyes deceive me, or that thing's comin' toward us,” Applejack commented. Her face was rife with complete disbelief.

“No, Applejack, your eyes do not deceive you,” The statue spoke in the cool voice that the ponies heard before. It planted its feet directly in front of the group. “I am fully capable of movement.”

Spike pointed at the statue, his face molded into an expression of utter terror. “Th-that thing's alive!”

“But that's impossible!” Twilight protested. “I felt it with my hoof! It was nothing but metal!”

“Ha!” Nightshade called from behind them. The other ponies turned around to listen to him. “Not only is she alive, she's far more of a pony than any of you will ever be!”

“She?” Twilight wondered aloud. She turned back toward the statue. “What are you?” She demanded.

“My name is Silence,” the statue replied. “And these...” She gestured to all the other beings in the room “...are my friends.”

“What?” Pinkie Pie uttered, completely confused. “Friends? None of this is making any sense!”

Siegfried stepped forward. “It doesn't have to make sense,” He argued. “All that matters is that our plan goes through to completion.”

Rarity stared at Siegfried in shock. “Your plan?” She stuttered. “Don't tell me you're in on this!”

Siegfried sighed. “I'm afraid so,” He replied. “It was my role to ensure that you got to the mountains.”

“But why, Siegfried?” Fluttershy prodded. “You were so kind to us!”

“My loyalty is to my friends,” Siegfried clarified.

“Your friends? Ha!” Rainbow Dash yelled. “Some friends you have! They're all kidnappers and criminals!” She looked at him with bloodlust in her eyes. “I oughta just pound you into dust! You're nothing but a criminal too!” Siegfried averted his eyes.

“Oooh, scary, scary!” Nightshade taunted. Rainbow Dash turned towards him. “You may be tough, Rainbow Dash, but no amount of physical prowess can stop this!” His horn began to glow with a dark aura. He shot a beam from his horn, striking the cage with his raw magic. The cage was soon enveloped by darkness, prompting a terrified Princess Luna to look on, stunned.

Twilight stepped toward the swirling shadows. “Quit it, Nightshade!” She yelled. She began to focus magic into her horn, hoping to do something, anything, to stop whatever was transpiring. Her thoughts raced as she tried to come up with a spell to stop the reaction, but nothing came to mind.

Out of the corner of her eye, she could see the dragon hunching over, growling. It opened its mouth wide, and a bright orange light began to emerge from its throat. A ball of flame shot forth from its mouth and lunged toward Twilight. She forced the magic she had built up into a shield, and watched as the flames struck it and rolled off. Twilight dispersed her magic, only to see Nightshade looking at her, amused.

“Ah, ah, aaah! No audience participation allowed in the ritual!” Nightshade scolded. His eyes began to glow white. His wicked grin faded as he focused his magic onto the swirling dark aura of the cage. “In unity, we vow. In friendship, we promise. In equality, our unbreakable oath stands! Bring forth life and love incarnate! Arise! Gestalt!”

The cage began to rumble the earth beneath it. The aura of the cage began to spin faster and faster. Princess Luna watched, her horrified look never leaving her face. From the darkness, six beams of blue light suddenly emerged, striking each of the Elements of Harmony. The beams caused the spheres encasing the elements to glow, and they began to rise off of the floor. Within the next few seconds, the elements began to spin around the cage in a centrifugal motion, the light beams tethering them to the cage.

The white glow faded from Nightshade's eyes, and he returned to normal. His wicked grin returned to his face, and addressed the stunned, helpless ponies. “It begins,” Nightshade cackled. “Equestria's new era begins!”

“What are you talking about?” Twilight demanded. “Stop this right now!”

Nightshade laughed. “There's no stopping this! Not now! Not ever!” he howled. He reached for his hat, pulled it off, and bowed to the ponies. “I'll be seeing you later! If you aren't consumed, that is! Ta-ta!” He, the dragon, and the diamond dog all disappeared in a flash.

Twilight looked behind her to where Siegfried and Silence were. They too had disappeared. Panicking now, she turned back toward Princess Luna. The elements were spinning faster now, and Luna was impossible to see amidst the funnel of light. Twilight racked her brain as she struggled to figure out a way to stop this. But her thoughts all hit a wall, as she didn't even know what was going on to begin with.

Suddenly, she felt something beginning to pull her in. A vortex was forming around Princess Luna's cage, sucking all the ponies into its center. The ponies all dug their hooves into the floor, trying to resist its pull. But it was of no use; it kept tugging and tugging at the forms of the ponies. Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy screamed as they struggled to hold on. Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Spike just grunted and dug in with all their strength. Twilight's racing thoughts could only come to one conclusion: they needed to leave.

Twilight focused energy into her horn again. She imagined Fillydelphia again, hoping, wishing that they could teleport back to the surface. “Hang on, everypony!” She called out. “Just a little more...”

In a split-second, all the ponies and Spike vanished. When they reappeared, they were on the streets of Fillydelphia. Twilight looked around, still feeling the earth shake from what was going on in the sewers. A number of the local population were on the streets with them, and were either staring at them, or looking around nervously, trying to figure out what was going on.

A yellow Earth Pony mare with a young foal approached Twilight and the group, a worried expression drawn onto her face. The foal stayed behind his mother, eyes fraught with worry. “You're Princess Twilight Sparkle, aren't you?” she asked. “What's going on? Why is the earth shaking so horribly?”

Twilight averted her eyes from the mare, uncertain as to how to respond. “Well, see...” she began. Twilight had no time to finish her sentence before the rumbling grew more severe, almost knocking her off her feet. It increased in intensity, then settled back down, then started up again, then settled. The undulating rhythm of the quake continued for several more seconds, like a heartbeat, until it peaked. Twilight could hear a violent crashing noise to her side, as if the earth itself was splitting open.

Twilight looked to see what had happened, and immediately wished that she hadn't.

Comments ( 1 )

2836859 Yeah, I thought about having him sing first, but I like to be conservative with the word count, and I thought doing so would make the chapter drag on too long. The last thing I want is for a reader to tell me to get to the point. :P

So I didn't milk the power udder, you say? In what way?

Also, that is indeed an easy fix. Quite doable. XD

Thanks for posting your thoughts. I appreciate it. :)

Login or register to comment