• Published 20th Jul 2013
  • 1,116 Views, 42 Comments

Rising from the Fall - Darkhanos



After a series of tragic events, Jetstream, a former Wonderbolt, moves to Ponyville to move on with his life. What he finds instead is what his broken spirit needs.

  • ...
2
 42
 1,116

Chapter 5

"And then you should have seen the time when Twilight was in the third grade, and asked our teacher, 'If you are what you eat, then why aren't we all hay?' Can you believe that?" Jetstream asked, already rolling on the floor and laughing unceremoniously, followed by the combined laughter of everypony in the house...save for a single, very unamused mare

"Aw, lighten up, Twi," Applejack said, giving her a friendly bump on her shoulder, "It's all in good fun."

"The fun tends to stop when it's at another pony's expense, and it borders going too far when it goes on for almost an hour and a half." Twilight deadpanned.

"An hour and three-quarters." Jetstream corrected with a smug smile.

Twilight rolled her eyes, "Are you guys quite finished yet?"

"Oh, don't be such a spoil sport! It's not everyday we get to hear how you were as a filly!"

"But Twi, has a point. We've had our fun and we should really tone it down a bit." Applejack responded, "Besides, we can always hear more later at the party tonight."

"Oh, yeah, about that...um...what exactly is in store for me at that party?" Jetstream asked.

"It's nothing like your autograph sessions, Jet. You just go and mingle with everypony and have a good time." Rainbow Dash answered.

"But don't stay up too late. Don't forget ya have work tomorrow." Applejack reminded.

"Don't worry, I haven't forgotten. I just need to know the way to the farm."

"Wait, you're here on vacation, but you're gonna work on the farm tomorrow? What's up with that?" Rainbow Dash asked with a suspicious glint in her eye.

"It's to work off the free apples she gave me." Jet answered.

"Kinda defeats the purpose of a gift if you do that, isn't it?" Spike asked.

"Yeah, but I insisted. I'd much rather earn my keep."

"An' that's the kind of outlook Ah can respect. Just don't expect me ta take it easy on ya just 'cause you're a greenhorn." Applejack stated.

"Duly noted." Jet replied with a confident smile.

"I wouldn't be too sure about it if I were you, Jetstream. I know you're a Wonderbolt and all, but this is a different kind of physical exertion, and you're not used to it." Twilight said.

Jetstream chuckled and placed a hoof on her shoulder, "I appreciate the concern, Twilight, but I can handle it. Trust me on that, you little worry bug."

Twilight gave him an incredulous look, "The last time you told me to trust you was when we were on a date at the carnival and you blew all of your bits trying to win me a stuffed animal."

"Did he win it?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"No, he lost every. Single. Time. I ended up having to pull him away from that silly game. "

"Hey! In my defense, that game was rigged! How was I supposed to know that the darts were dull?" Jetstream asked indignantly.

"Oh, I don't know, maybe when the balloons never popped despite the fact you hit them almost every time?" Twilight shot back with a wry smile, earning a laugh from Rainbow Dash and Spike.

"That’s right! I remember, you came home really annoyed and ranting that Jet was 'very stubborn and didn't know when to quit!' and that 'his inability to let go of his pride was preposterous!' ...you were really critical of him." Spike stated.

"Well, I did ruin the date, so I can't really say I blame her."

"Ah disagree," Applejack said, "it sounds a lot like he was tryin' real hard ta win ya somethin', Twi, an' he wasn't gonna stop til he did. Ah think that was awful sweet of him, even if he did blow his money in a dumb way."

"You see, Twi?" Jetstream spoke up, "That's what I was...wait, you're agreeing but disagreeing with her at the same time?"

"Can't deny that it was painfully obvious that the game was rigged. What kind of animal were ya tryin' ta win 'er anyways?"

"...A giant chicken." Jetstream answered wistfully.

After a moment of silence, laughter was heard throughout the tree house.

“A chicken?! All of that wasted time and effort was for a chicken?!” Rainbow Dash asked before returning to her fit of laughter.


“Oh! That’s just too darn funny! An’ here I thought ya woulda tried ta get somethin’ a little more romantic-like!” said Applejack.


“Jetstream, romantic?" Twilight chuckled, "We're talking about a stallion that gets his ideas from cheesy romance novels!"


"That's funny, because those books just happened to belong to you!" Jetstream quipped, with a grin.


"Trust me, I know." Twilight deadpanned.


"Uh...I'll get the cookies started!" Spike said as he scurried off to the kitchen.


"Whoo-wee! This batch is better than the last time we tried 'em at the meteor shower!" Applejack praised.


"That’s because he's awesome like that. Just not as awesome as me!" said Rainbow Dash before taking another bite of her cookie.


"Okay, I'll admit, these cookies of yours are probably the best I've had in a while." Jetstream admitted.

"Hah! Then that means I win the bet! So pay up!" Spike said in a victorious manner.

Jet reached in his saddlebags and pulled out the agreed upon price: one sapphire, "Here ya go. Don't eat it all at once." He chuckled.


"Oh, I won't. I'm gonna try to save up and make something special when I have enough gems!" Spike proclaimed.


"Just don't go overboard, Spike," said Twilight, "The last time you took on more responsibilities than you could handle trying to get a hold of gems."


"I know, I know. I'll be more careful this time." Spike responded.


"Well, Ah hate to cut this visit short, but Ah gotta get back to the farm. Jet? Wanna come with me so ya know the way?" Applejack asked.


"Sure! Sounds good to me," Jetstream replied, getting to his hooves, "I'll see you guys at the party tonight."


"Bye, Jet. It's good to see you again." said Twilight, giving him a quick hug.


"Don't be late now!" Rainbow Dash said, before the two headed out the door, "...So WHY did you two break up?! I mean, I knew you were a dork, but come on! He seems like a totally neat guy!"


Twilight gave Dash an unamused look, "Another time, Dash."


"Eh, I don't blame ya. If I screwed up a relationship with a good catch, I'd be mad about it too."


Twilight let out a groan, "You're not going to let this go, are you?"


"Nope!"


The walk back to Sweet Apple Acres was filled with relative silence, with Jetstream stealing a glance from the farm mare once in a while. Normally, he would attempt to make some small talk, but for some reason beyond him, he just couldn't find anything other than mundane topics off the top of his head, and of he would just talk about himself all this time, he would come off as vain and conceited.


"Damn it! Why is trying to break the ice with her like a damn chess game? Like if I say the wrong thing, I may as well be at checkmate?"


"So, uh, how long did ya date Twilight?" asked Applejack, though judging from her expression, she wasn't entirely sure how to break the ice either.


For some reason, that helped Jetstream relax a little, "About two years. Give or take a month or two."


"Oh, Ah was just wonderin', 'cause Twi didn't strike me as the type to have a coltfriend back then, seein' as she get caught up with 'er studyin' and all."


"Well, it surprised me too to be honest," he chuckles, "especially because of the way we got together."


"Well, spit it out!"


"I made a bet with her that I'd get a better grade on a science exam we had going on at school."


Applejack raised an eyebrow, "No offense, partner, but Ah find that a little hard to believe."


"Well, you better believe it, because I did. But I kinda had some inside help. You see, her friend Minuette overheard our bet and she made photocopies of Twilight's notes under the pretenses that she was gonna use them, but gave them to me."


Applejack chuckles, "Now that Ah believe, but then somethin" ain't addin' up. If ya had 'er notes an' all, wouldn't ya have made the same grade as 'er?"


"You'd think that, but I have it on good authority that she intentionally missed the last question on that test. That's how I knew she liked me too," Jetstream laughed, "Good times. Good times."


Applejack smiles, "Well ain't that just the nicest thing she did? So, is it true that ya never did farm work before?"


"Yes, ma'am, it's true. I never had to, so I didn't."


"Alright, Ah just don't wanna hear no complainin' outta ya. It's gonna be rough on ya."


"Heh, I sure I can manage."


Just then, they were approaching the fence line of the farm, the scent of fresh, ripe apples filling Jet's nostrils as they trotted further down the path, "This is it. Home, sweet home." Applejack said,


"Woah...this place is huge!" Jetstream said, marveling at the sight of the rows upon rows of fresh apple trees, "And you have to buck all of these?!


"What's the matter? Yer not losin' yer nerves, are ya?" Applejack asked wryly.


"Not at all, I'm just a little surprised. It's bigger than I would've thought."


"It's not like we gotta do every one of 'em, so don't sweat it. We do still gotta lot to do though," she turns to him, "Now that ya know where Sweet Apple Acres is, Ah expect ya to show up at six in the mornin'. If yer late, then the deal's off an' ya gotta work for another day."


"Yes, ma'am. So...see you at the party?"


"You bet. I'll see ya then." Applejack answered as she stared down the paved road to her house.


Jetstream watched her until she entered her house, totally oblivious to the goofy grin that was spreading across his face. He then walked back towards town, with a slight spring in his step.


Whether it was because of the party, or seeing Applejack again was a mystery, even to him. Either way, he couldn't stop smiling at the anticipation that was welling within the very core of his being; a feeling he hasn't felt in a long while. It was a welcome distraction, and one he hoped would last for a while.

Author's Note:

Image came from richhap from deviantart.

Comments ( 5 )

Nice to see this story again. Also, the stories about Twilight and Jetstream's dates were sweet.

6231217

Oh, crap! :pinkiegasp:

I didn't mean to publish this yet! I was making some small edits on my phone and its been acting up lately, so I must have accidentally uploaded it. There must be a ton of grammar mistakes in it! :rainbowlaugh:

But thanks though, I'm glad you enjoyed it :twilightsmile:

Quite the enjoyable chapter. Very fun, especially how they wound up dating.

Minor error.

It's not like we gotta do every one of 'em, do don't sweat it

Should be so.

6241891

And fixed! I appreciate it!

6242517
Happy to oblige.

Login or register to comment