• Published 21st Jun 2013
  • 1,587 Views, 28 Comments

Royal Oppression - Twiggles6



Princess Celestia has been suffering from insomnia ever since the royal wedding and the changeling invasion. Is it really just lingering stress from her first confrontation in eons, or is there something more to the nightmares Celestia's been ha

  • ...
6
 28
 1,587

Epilogue

As the nights passed, things continued to deteriorate around the castle. Celestia was becoming more and more unsure of herself, and her ability to protect her subjects. Each night, Luna would enter Celestia’s dreams and torment her about her inability to rule properly. Eventually, the sun princess could take it no longer.

After two weeks of terrible dreams and declining conditions in the castle, Celestia finally had had enough. On the fifteenth night, Princess Celestia submitted to Queen Chrysalis. That morning, she and her sister both ventured to the Badlands beyond the Equestrian border. Following Heart Murmur’s instructions, they managed to find the changeling Hive, where their true Queen awaited their arrival.

After hours upon hours of conditioning and magical manipulation, Luna and Celestia no longer existed. In their places were two specially created changelings. They were allowed to retain the posts of their past lives on the condition that they swear eternal fealty to their grand Queen, Chrysalis. Of course, the royal sisters accepted this generous offer with zero hesitation.

And so Equestria fell under the rule of Queen Chrysalis. But even so, only those who were meant to know ever knew at all.

Author's Note:

I'm sorry that it ended this way, but I just can't do this anymore. Sometime in the last few chapters, I literally lost ALL motivation to work on this story. I doesn't have anything to do with any kind of happenings at home or anything. It's just that this really isn't my kind of story.

I think from now on, I'll leave the dark stuff to the writers that really enjoy writing it. I've always been better with fluffy, more light hearted writing, and I know that will show in my other works. I just... Couldn't write this one anymore. I'm sorry that this ending was a let-down, but I think that it is better than leaving this story in a perpetual state of incompletion or taking it down altogether.

Here's hoping you will still be willing to read my stories after this disappointment.

Comments ( 7 )

I think you should try something related to
This

I see great potential in this story and it's ideas, I was wondering if I could use some of the parts in a potential story I was going to make. It's... going to be a clop, I hope you don't mind.:twilightoops:

3211481 Actually, I'd be honored if you were to do that. Clop or otherwise. As long as it isn't futa or some such weirdness I'd probably like to read it myself.

Thanks for the video too. It's awesome! :twilightsmile:

3211844 no problem hopefully the vid inspires you to write a fluffy fic involving Fluttershy.

Until I write it, I'll keep this story in Queu.

:ajbemused:

With an ending like that, it might have been better off just being declared cancelled instead of complete

But I understand, the creativity well dries up, and you gotta move on to fresher territory.

well, as disappointed i am in this ending, i can understand why you couldn't continue and i much prefer something like this rather than having the story just stopping.

You might hate me for this, but what ruined the story the most, in my mind, was the fact that you finished it.

Allow me to explain. To me, the best kind of Dark story is not your typical "scare them witless, the thing under the bed" story. Nor is it the "so-gory-that-you-vomit-every-time-you-think-about-it-Cupcakes-blood-gore-intestines" Dark story. No, the best kind of Dark story is the one that is never actually resolved. For most writers (including myself), this is very hard if not impossible to pull off, due to our desire to bring the story to a point of closure. However, as far as Dark stories go, closure can be a bad thing. The most effective Dark stories are the ones that leave you with more questions than answers. They keep you up all night, not because you're scared, but because you just can't stop thinking about the questions. It ends up forcing each reader to, essentially, create their own ending; one far worse than any author could hope to produce, since it will be entirely different and completely personal to each individual reader. Saying what happened and the end result takes away this sense of mystery that is the heart of the Dark genre.

To bring it down to this story in particular, I feel that this could have been far more effective as a Dark story if it had ended much sooner. For instance, Chapter Five or Six, when the reader realizes that the Changelings are going to brainwash/have brainwashed Princess Luna into serving Chrysalis. At this point, the reader has just enough information to have a general idea of what would likely happen next, but the ending is still up in the air. It's the same reason that many authors end chapters on cliffhangers. It's not just for trolling readers, I assure you.

Anyway, there's my huge shpeal on Dark stories. Don't get me wrong; while the ending left much to be desired, the story itself was still good. Unfortunately, however, you made the mistake of taking it too far. It was great, up until the point where there was no mystery. Again, this only applies to true Dark stories, and you're sure to make some people upset when the story is not resolved, but there will be more disappointment if the story were resolved, since it's guaranteed to not live up to-[/rant]

I'm repeating myself, aren't I?

Anyway, there you have it, and holy crap did I really just write all of that? :rainbowderp:

Write on,
Legion

I'm confused. Considering that this story has an epilogue, shouldn't it be marked as “completed” and not “cancelled”?

Login or register to comment