• Published 21st Jun 2013
  • 1,587 Views, 28 Comments

Royal Oppression - Twiggles6



Princess Celestia has been suffering from insomnia ever since the royal wedding and the changeling invasion. Is it really just lingering stress from her first confrontation in eons, or is there something more to the nightmares Celestia's been ha

  • ...
6
 28
 1,587

Awakening Anew

Throughout the next few days, Celestia had stopped to check up on her sister whenever her royal duties would allow her. Each time, she wouldn’t speak. Celestia would simply lie down next to her sister for a minute or two, nuzzle her mane, and walk out of the room with a tear in her eye. Thankfully, Heart Murmur was more than happy to allow these visits, on the condition that it wait until after the current round of treatments were complete.

It has been almost a week since Luna slipped into a deep slumber. She seemed to be breathing more easily after the third day of treatment, but otherwise remained unresponsive. The treatments continued after that, but no further improvement was evident. Despite Celestia’s deepening worry, Heart Murmur was always there to reassure her that she was on top of everything.

“Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.” Celestia said as the large, red earth pony stallion in front of her bowed respectfully. “I’ll see to it that somepony investigates Sweet Apple Acres soon.”

“Thank you, Princess.” The pony said without getting up. “Things just ain’t been normal as of late. Cows been actin’ funny. Got a weird gleam in their eyes.” He said, shuddering a bit as he stood up.

“I understand.” Celestia said with a nod. “Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I’ll make sure that it is taken care of.” She said, indicating that the meeting was over.

“Thank you, Princess.” Big Macintosh said with a nod as he turned and left the throne room.

Celestia let out a sigh as she stood from her throne. “That’s the third report of animals acting strangely this week.” She said as she walked towards the large doors at the end of the room. “Something must be going on, but I can’t be sure what.” She said.

“I’m sure it can’t be anything too serious.” Celestia thought, her head beginning to ache slightly. “I’d rather not send somepony out there just yet. At least not until I know more than idle rumors and suspicions.” She thought, stopping to shake her head briefly.

“And just when I thought I’d been able to get enough sleep.” Celestia muttered under her breath as she descended the stairs toward her sister’s room.


“Good. I’m glad to see that the treatment has worked perfectly.” Heart Murmur said as her horn lost its green glow. If I’m familiar enough with your sister’s schedule, she should be here very soon to check up on you.” She said with a smile. No sooner had she finished talking than a knock was heard on Luna’s door. “Ah. Speak of the pony.” She said as she walked over to the door and opened it slightly with her magic.

“Pardon me, Heart Murmur.” Celestia said as the door to Luna’s room opened up.

“Princess! We’ve been expecting you.” Heart Murmur said with a smile as she stepped aside for the princess. “You’re free to visit your sister now. We just finished the final treatment together.”

“Final treatment?” Celestia asked as her ears perked up. “Lulu, are you okay?” She asked as she rushed into the room and practically pounced on her sister.

“Tia!” Luna exclaimed as Celestia landed on top of her. “I haven’t seen you like this since we were fillies. Don’t worry, I’m alright.” She said with a laugh.

“I was just so worried that I’d lost you again.” Celestia said, a couple of tears rolling down her cheeks.

“Tia, don’t worry so much.” Luna said as she gently pushed her sister away. “I’m fine, see?” She said, standing up and turning around slowly to show that she was fine.

“Luna, how can you be so nonchalant about this?” Celestia asked. “You’ve been out for almost a week! You must at least be a little concerned.”

“Not really, sister.” Luna said. “I’ve heard of this kind of thing happening before. After all, I’m not the first pony able to dreamwalk.”

“I’m not entirely sure I follow.” Celestia said. “I suppose I’ve never fully understood how that power worked.”

“Well that’s because you never asked me.” Luna said. “In any case, when one enters the dream of a pony with enough magical power, there is a risk of what’s been called dream backlash.” She explained.

“I honestly always thought that you were the only pony ever able to enter another pony’s dreams.” Celestia said. “If there are texts on the subject of dreamwalking, I’ve never seen them.”

“That is because the information is passed on through dreams.” Luna said. “There are other dreamwalkers out there in the world, and they have been kind enough to share their stories and experiences with me.”

“And to think that there was this whole other world of which I was unaware.” Celestia mused as she sat down to listen to her sister.

“Indeed.” Luna said with a nod. “As I was saying though, dream backlash happens when one enters the dream of a particularly powerful unicorn and isn’t prepared properly for the transition. You being an alicorn essentially triples the likelihood of the condition.”

“I’m sorry.” Celestia said. “When I allowed you to help, I had no idea. Why didn’t you warn me that this might happen?”

“I was so eager to help you that I ignored the risks. And I thought that if I told you just how risky it was, that it would cause you an uneasy sleep. And that wouldn’t be very productive at all, now would it?” Luna asked.

“No, I suppose not.” Celestia admitted. “Still, I wish that you had given me at least some information before making such a bold move.”

“I’m sorry to have worried you, sister. But it turned out well, didn’t it?” Luna asked. “Heart Murmur tells me that you have been sleeping more soundly, even if you seemed more stressed when awake.”

“I suppose that’s true.” Celestia said. “But are you sure everything is alright? There aren’t any kind of lasting effects of dream backlash, are there?”

“No, none at all.” Luna said. “In fact, Heart Murmur has informed me that I should be able to return to my royal duties tonight as long as I take it easy the rest of the day.”

“Indeed, she should be as good as new.” Heart Murmur said with a proud smile. “I’m honored that I was able to help you, princesses.” She said, giving a polite bow.

“Please, there is no need to be so formal.” Celestia said. “You’ve done us a service for which I can never repay you.”

“Oh, please.” Heart Murmur said, gaining a light blush. “There’s no need for that. Your thanks is payment enough. Besides, this has helped with my career immensely. The fact that my procedure worked so well will surely help me to reach my dreams.” She said, getting a far off look.

“Well I wish you the very best in all your endeavors.” Celestia said, rising from her seated position. “I’ll be back to check on you again later, Sister. Please, concentrate on getting your rest before jumping back into your responsibilities.”

“I will, Sister.” Luna said. “Thanks for checking in.”

Celestia gave a thankful smile to Heart Murmur and Luna before leaving the room and closing the door gently behind her.

Heart Murmur and Luna sat in silence for a few moments as they listened to Celestia’s hoofsteps echo up the stairs and out of earshot. Content that they would not be overheard, Heart Murmur turned to Luna. “That was very clever of you, princess.” She said, allowing herself to revert to her changeling form. “What did you call it? Dream backlash?”

“It’s true that there are no books on the subject of dreamwalking.” Luna said. “And that’s only because I’ve never bothered to write any. After all, what’s the point when I’m the only one capable of doing it?”

“So all of that was a lie then?” Heart Murmur asked, cocking her head to one side.

“Indeed. I’ve never once encountered another dreamwalker. So as far as I know, they do not exist.” Luna said.

“What a shame. I was hoping that our Queen might be able to learn to dreamwalk as you do.” Heart Murmur said.

“As powerful as she is, I would not be surprised if she found a way.” Luna said. “I would of course be more than happy to help in any way that I can.” She said as her eyes briefly flashed green.

“Of course you would.” Heart Murmur said, walking up to Luna and lightly patting her head with a hole-ridden hoof. “After all, you’re just Queen Chrysalis’s obedient little pet princess now, aren’t you?”

“I live to serve Queen Chrysalis, and all of the changeling hive.” Luna said. “I’ve already received my first task from the Queen, and intend to begin tonight.”

“Very good.” Heart Murmur said as she changed back to her unicorn form. “Remember. Do the Queen proud, and you might just receive a new body to appropriately match your new mind.”

“I exist to obey my Queen.” Luna said. “Any rewards she decides to bestow upon me are simply added bonuses, and any punishments an unfortunate necessity.”

“Very good.” Heart Murmur said, patting Luna’s head again. “I think you’ll do very well in your new life, princess Luna.”

“And if all goes well, so will my sister.” Luna said. “I look forward to sharing the glory of the hive with her tonight.”

“Remember that our Queen wants this to be a lasting process.” Heart Murmur said. “Breaking her in one night will not give our Queen the satisfaction she desires. Celestia needs to go to Her.”

“Of course.” Luna said. “May Her will be done. All will soon hail Queen Chrysalis. The one true Queen of Equestria.”

“Perfect.” Heart Murmur said. “I’ll be in to check on you periodically. Just do your best, and everything should work out exactly as our Queen has planned.” She said just before opening the door and walking out into the hall. “It’s the beginning of the end.” Heart Murmur thought as she shut Luna’s door behind her.

Author's Note:

Sorry this update took so very very very very very very ver- *SMACK* Okay, okay!

Sorry this took so long. I've been very distracted by things such as work, playing League of Legends, wondering where my life is headed, saying screw it and playing more League of Legends, and driving over eight hours to Baltimore, Maryland to attend Bronycon 2013 (which was AWESOME by the way).

Anyways, I've hopefully gotten back into the swing of updating every once in a while rather than once in a GREAT while.

Look forward to it!