• Published 21st Jun 2013
  • 1,587 Views, 28 Comments

Royal Oppression - Twiggles6



Princess Celestia has been suffering from insomnia ever since the royal wedding and the changeling invasion. Is it really just lingering stress from her first confrontation in eons, or is there something more to the nightmares Celestia's been ha

  • ...
6
 28
 1,587

A Helping Hoof

About a week had passed since Celestia and Luna shared a somewhat tense breakfast. With each passing day, Celestia seemed to grow more and more detached as she got less and less sleep. It got to a point where she barely even spoke with Luna, let alone anypony else.

“Sister, please.” Luna begged. “Let me help you tonight.”

“For the last time, Luna. No!” Celestia said. This had been happening each night for the past week. Luna would offer to help clear up her sister’s dreams, but the end result would always be the same. “You will not enter my dreams tonight, or any other night!” She said as she walked past her sister and into her room. “Now please leave me be. I’m very tired tonight and do not wish to be disturbed.” She said as her door glowed golden shortly before slamming shut behind her.

“Sister, please.” Luna said with tears in her eyes as she pressed up against the door. “I just want to help you-”

“Good night, Luna.” Celestia said through the door.

“If you’ll just hear me out-”

“I said good night!” Celestia shouted, ending the conversation.

Slowly removing herself from the door, Luna sighed in defeat yet again as she solemnly hung her head. “Why don’t you trust me with this?” Luna asked quietly as she made her way to the stairs and headed down towards her balcony.

“If I’ve told her once, I’ve told her a thousand times.” Celestia grumbled as she paced in her room. “I’ll not have my sister waste her time in my dreams when there are so many ponies who rely on her each night.”

“But is that really the reason?” Celestia heard herself ask in her head. “Is that really why I don’t want Luna in my dreams?” Celestia’s mind asked in a questioning, echoic voice.

“But of course it is.” Celestia said, stopping her pacing as a light buzzing sound began to permeate her thoughts. “Everypony relies on her to keep their dreams safe at night.”

“Everypony except for me.” The inner voice said. “And just why is that, really?”

“I simply don’t need that type of help is all.” Celestia rationalized, apparently ignorant to the fact that she was talking to herself.

“Please.” Celestia’s echoing inner voice scoffed. “How can I bear to lie to myself like this?” She mused as the buzzing grew more intense. “It’s plain to anypony that the past week has been absolutely dreadful.”

“That is my own problem to face. I needn’t get my sister involved.” Celestia said.

“But what of friendship?” The voice asked. “Is Luna not my friend?”

“Of course she is, but-”

“I seem to recall a letter from Twilight some time ago about the importance of letting friends help each other and working together.” Her inner voice said, actually interrupting Celestia mid-sentence.

“I suppose that is true, but this is different from bucking apples.” Celestia said, remembering the letter in question.

“The situation is different, but the principle remains.” The voice said as the buzzing sound increased in intensity once more. “She seems desperate to help.”

“She... Does seem desperate to help.” Celestia said, closing her eyes and furrowing her brow as a migraine began to rear its ugly head.

“I’ve been turning her away for a while now, and I’ve hurt her in doing so.” The voice said.

“No… I would never want to hurt Luna.” Celestia said as she put a hoof to the side of her head and rubbed gently in circles to ease the pain.

“Then you know what you must do. Don’t you?” The voice asked, no longer sounding quite like her own.

“I… I need to apologize to Luna.” Celestia said as the buzzing sound disappeared.

“And what else?”

“I suppose…” Celestia said, thinking hard about what to say next. “I suppose I should give her a chance to help out. I mean I have been rather sleepless lately.” She said, unintentionally punctuating her sentence with a yawn.

“Very good.” The voice in Celestia’s head cooed as the migraine subsided. “Now go to your sister.”

“Yes.” Celestia said, standing up a bit straighter. “I need to ask Luna’s forgiveness.” She said as she reopened her doors and started towards the stairs. As she began her descent, Celestia swore that she could briefly hear a strange echoing laughter in her head.

“I suppose it can’t be helped.” Luna sighed as she brightened a few stars close to the horizon. “Her mind’s been made up. All I can do is hope that she manages to solve the problem herself.” As she dimmed another star to bring out the previously altered ones, there was a light knock on her chamber door.

“Luna? May I come in, please?” Celestia asked through the door.

“Sister?” Luna asked, turning and opening the door with her magic while remaining on the balcony. “What is the matter? Did you have something else to say?” She asked, a hurt expression crossing her features.

“Yes, I did.” Celestia sighed as she entered. “I wanted to apologize.”

“Say what now?” Luna asked, obviously not expecting this.

“I’ve been acting very badly towards you, and I wanted to make it up somehow.” Celestia said, scuffing the floor with a hoof. “I’d like you to take a look into my dreams tonight. If you’d still be willing, that is.”

“I- I don’t know what to say!” Luna exclaimed, her eyes sparkling with joy. “I’d be more than happy to help you, Tia. All is forgiven, so don’t you worry a single moment.” She said, stepping forward and nuzzling her sister affectionately. “I’ll have your dreams put in order by the end of the night. I promise you that.”

“Thank you, Luna.” Celestia said. “I’m sorry I took so long to let you help me. I was acting foolishly.”

“No harm done, sister. Now go to bed.” Luna said, gently shooing Celestia out of the room. “I must prepare to enter the dream world.”

“Very well.” Celestia said. “And… Thank you again, Lulu.” She said as the doors closed and she made her way back up the stairs to her own room.

“Finally, I have a chance to aid my dear sister.” Luna said with a smile. “Whatever ails her sleep shall be no more by the time I am finished.” She said as she made a couple of final adjustments to the night sky. Satisfied with her work, Luna spent the next half hour in meditation as she waited for her sister to fall asleep. Sensing Celestia’s consciousness enter the dream realm, Luna focused her mind and magic as she entered as well. “Worry not, Tia.” Luna said as she easily slipped into her sister’s subconscious mind. “I’m here to help you.”

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long wait, but here is the next chapter. I hope you enjoyed it. I've just been taking a brief respite from writing, and that's why this one took so long.

It also doesn't help that I've finally started playing League of Legends. X_x;

Oh well. Look forward to the next chapter! :D