• Published 13th May 2013
  • 243 Views, 1 Comments

Warfare is Magic - Kingsly



"When everything has the chance to go wrong, what is there to stop it from happening?"

  • ...
 1
 243

The metaphorical cage

“Death’s going to crash your party someday,

so why not make it the best until that day comes?”

~Kingsly~

. . .

Kingsly stared at the same crack in the ground he had been for the last few hours. He had lost track of the seconds he had been counting in his head. The chains dangling him from the ceiling digging into his hooves. He had watched the blood from his body seep into the crack. He didn't know what happened. He just woke up here. He knew it was prison, he could feel it. The cold, dark feeling that prison gave you was evidence enough. If he listened closely, he could hear the constant gunshots in the distance, the howls of dragons, and the screams of artillery. War. He sighed. As if there was anything else to do. The thin metal door to the shack that was his prison burst open. Two soldiers in thick white armor entered first, their guns trained on Kingsly. They were followed by a highly decorated officer, A Solar Empire commander at least.

“At ease gentlemen, we don’t want our guest to feel nervous.” He said in a thick tone.

Kingsly remained silent, staring into the newcomers eyes.

“So you are with the NLR? You have us to thank, that we managed to find you before the dessert took you. Now as repayment, maybe you know a few things, Captain Shadows?”

“The name’s Kingsly. The least you could do was get my name right before an interrogation. That’s common courtesy, something you probably wouldn't know about.” Kingsly said with a smug grin on his face.

“Oh? Is that so?” He turned to one of the soldiers, handing him his overcoat. “You two may leave, and close the door, we don’t want any of this chap’s precious screams.” He said with a devilish grin.

. . .

The sounds of pain, and vicious fighting sounded easily through the thin tin roof of the interrogation room, aptly named the Can o pain. Private ‘Sev’ Menear stood next to another nameless soldier, guarding the door from noone. The sound of a brutal kick echoed through his plated helmet.

“Man, I almost feel bad for that guy in there.” He said solemnly.
“Don’t. He’s nothing but a bump in the rode that needs to be dealt with.” The other guard said angrily.
“I mean, I know we haven't had a NLR prisoner in that long, but I think he might really kill him. We don’t want that, do we?”
“Apparently there orders from Princess Celestia herself. He’s more dangerous than we think. That’s why they called in The Raven to deal with him.”
“The Raven? Isn’t she that really scary interrogation expert?”
The sudden squeal of tires pierced the night air as a humvee roared up the dirt road. It’s tires ground up the rock’s in the dirt. The back door was thrown open, as a dark hooded pony stepped out.
“Where is the little rat for me to toy with?”

. . .
The commander swung another brutal punch into Kingsly’s gut.
“Why won’t you speak!?” He hollered, punching again and again in rage.
He aimed one last punch for his face, but his hoof was yanked back at the last moment.
“You’re not going to get anything if he’s dead.” The pegasus spoke quietly. She waved to the door, signaling for him to go. She set her bag on the small table, tossing aside the ripped apart body armor of the NLR.
“Rainbow Raven. It’s been awhile.” Kingsly said, coughing blood.
“Hello Kingsly. Let’s not get familiarities get in the way of business shall we?” She asked, holding a serrated sickle to prove her point. She waltzed over, hovering the blade just short of his neck. She slid it across, letting the point make a long scratch across his throat.
“So... What is it that you know?” She asked kindly.
“If I knew anything, i’d probably tell you.” He said with a grin.
“Wrong answer.” She said with grimace. She aimed the blade lower, driving it deep into his side. He yelped slightly, as the blade remained in the flesh while she retrieved another blade. Holding up a brutal drill like blade she gave him a wink. His eyes opened with fear.

. . .
“She’s been in their awhile. You think she’s getting anything?” Sev asked curiously.
“If I give any bucks you’ll be the first pony to know.” The other guard replied.
Sev nodded, ignoring his comment. The commander quickly stalked up the path to the shed.
“Look alive gentlemen! We’ve got an entire NLR battalion headed our way! Sev, follow me.” He said throwing open the shed door. Rainbow raven aimed a butcher knife just over Kingsly’s shoulder as they walked in.
“I apologize doctor, but were about to be under attack, and i would like to keep your safety a priority.” He said sadly.
She lowered the knife and turned. “No, that’s fine. I’ll just pack my stuff and be gone. And he was right, he really doesn't know anything. I just like to play with my prey before letting them die.” She said with a brutal grin. went to her pack and threw some of the tools in the bag, then went to Kingsly, ripping out her tools without any care. Kingsly mumbled something, causing her to lean in closer. He mumbled a few words that nopony else could hear. She nodded, then turned to leave.
“Good evening gentlemen.” She said with a bow.
“Allright Sev, you stay with the prisoner and i'll go get the formations in line. No matter what, keep him right there.” He said with anger. He slammed the door behind him, making the thin building rattle. Sev directed his attention to Kingsly, training his gun on him. Kingsly was quiet for a few moments before suddenly shuckling.
“You know, I almost feel bad. This camp has to have... What? Maybe 500 soldiers max at hand. The NLR is coming, their bringing thousands. And you wanna know why?” Kingsly asked.
Sev lowered his weapon, puzzled. “Why?” He asked concerned.
“All New Lunar Republic scouting armor comes built in with gps locators. every hour or so they go off. They know exactly where that armor is. They know i'm dead, but they think you at least have my corpse. And they don't let their technology go to waste either. And it just came to me. It’s the full moon isn’t it?” Kingsly asked again.
“It is, where are you going with this?” Sev asked confused.
“There’s no better moral boost, then having your very flag waving to the entire world. The NLR fights for the a better Equestria, an Equestria free from the chains of suppression, and a tyrant leader in control of everything. What do you fight for, Private Sev?” Kingsly asked.
“I... I don’t really know. For a brighter future.” He said with confidence.
“Is that so. Look around you. What future is there in a leader who refuses to believe there's a problem, even while her land crumbles around her? Who blindly sends her troops to their deaths, without a cause to fight? That doesn't sound like somepony i’d like to lead me.” Kingsly said with a nod. He cringed as his side ached with his speech.
Sev sighed before speaking. “I know what you mean. I didn't sign up for this. I was shipped out because of my age. ‘Any colt who has passed at least grade school must join’. I'm standing shoulder to shoulder with children waiting for hour deaths. At first, I thought I might be a hero, leading our land to victory against some, plague that tried taking over. But really? Were both ponies. We both think, we both breath, we both bleed. Who really wins in war? Both sides die, so can you win? I wish I was never born into this war.” Sev said, taking off his helmet, causing his blue mane to fall out.
“It’s not too late to have an ideal to fight for. I've got an idea.”

. . .
Sev tugged at the color of Kingsly’s old NLR armor, he now wore. Mortar shells exploded in the distance, causing the ground to shake. The sounds of war echoed loudly through the shack.
“Give it half an hour, there will be some troops to get you. Just explain to them what happened, and ask for Trippy Hooves, tell him everything you know, give him the data ships, and tell him I sent you. Let me see.” He dug around, suddenly stopping and pulling off his dogtags. “Give these to him, he’ll know it’s me. “

“But won’t you need these?” Sev asked.
“Dead mares tell no tales.” Kingsly replied with a grin, swinging the scabbard of his blade onto his back, beneath his saddle bag. His side and legs now covered in bandages from his ‘chat’ with Rainbow Raven. He saluted the waving Sev, and dashed out into the war filled night. bullets rang out around him, as he ducked past moving tanks and sliding jeeps. He ducked under some barrels, while a group of soldiers ran out past him. He moved towards the large gate, behind the fighting. Pegasi flew past, trials of sound following them, dropping explosives down. A fuel depot just a few feet away exploded brilliantly in a wave of crimson flames. He ran past the flames, and past the chain link fence that marked the boundaries of the camp. He kept running, until he was clear of all of the sound of battle. He turned and saw the camp in flames, under siege and clearly losing. He gave a quick salute. Then turned, and kept running towards the rising moon, shining over the battle like a beacon in the night.

Author's Note:

And... Part 3. Please enjoy, leave a comment, and give it a thumbs up.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment