• Published 12th May 2014
  • 548 Views, 7 Comments

A Mother's Tale - The Notebook



A bedtime tale from a mother to child.

  • ...
0
 7
 548

"Would you like a bedtime story?"

"How about Momma tells you a story?"

"Yes, please."

"You know, it's not very fun when it rains. Everypony thinks this at some point in their lives. You read a book, or played a game with the family, or you went out and did whatever you needed to do despite the cold water and mud. I didn't have these options, but not that I couldn't if I tried; settling down isn't impossible, it was just something that never spurred a spark of interest in me. Momma liked her quiet life. Alone, it let me be myself just as much as it let anyone be themselves. It's not embarrassing to act crazy, hyperactive, or let out how you feel, when it's just in front of yourself . You don't judge you. That's what I've always thought.

On days that it rained I did the simplest of activities. Cleaning. It let me clear my mind, not that mine was particularly busy. I never really had much to think about. I had absolutely no drama in life, which sounds implausible and boring, right? I'd have given anything to have a mom nagging at me to get married and send the grand-foals over to see her. Alas, Celestia decided to bless me with a beautifully quiet life in those days.

I worked as a small time gardener, selling carrots and the busy and often crowded farmer's market; During the winter I helped the Flower sisters collect Holly and Mistlehoof, or waited it out visiting the hospital to go talk with the patients sometimes. So why break this chain of life, especially since I enjoyed it? sure that despite how hectic the town got for others, never before had such a thought crossed my mind. So I continued with what I normally did. I Got my broom, set on one of the western music vinyls to play, and I sung along as I cleaned, content and conformed.

On days like these, I never worried about anything just focused on keeping busy. Because if you didn't realize your bored, are you really bored anymore? I figured that one out before Pa disappeared. So I sang and I cleaned, sweeping and dusting off the floor moving almost animatedly across my cottage's floor moving the dirt, dust and small little pieces of trash towards the front door. Opening it, like always, after I had inspected everywhere in my home for anything I missed. Going back to the door, I opened the heavy mahogany slab slowly on it's hinges. Holding the broom between my chest and my right forehoof. Using my left forhoof to sweep out the mound of grim I had swept up from around my house, out into the muddy front porch. Easiest way to get rid of dirt is to put it where it came from.

That's when I heard a loud crash. Shattered glass spilling out on the floor behind me.jumping at the noise I reacted as fast as possible, I let the broom fall onto the floor in a loud clatter and heaved against the heavy wood door. Seemingly too slow to be safe did it take to close and lock it. Turning back around I took a breathe to myself calm down, taking in deep breathes I managed a stable level of poise.

Going back into my kitchen I began to access the damage. Broken glass everywhere. Some of the wood flooring was scratched up by the glass, a rock had made a dent in my- their was my culprit! The rock had broken my window but if it wasn't that heavy a rain, who would- no, why would anypony have come to the very very edge of Ponyville to a place like my house, to throw a rock into my window?

Inspecting the rock closer Momma became aware that it was attached to some sort of letter. Why send it by rock, we have a mail service. I was puzzled by this, my mind not properly absorbing my surroundings as I quickly became more and more confused. Again I slapped myself back to reality, and quickly unattached the letter from the rock. Doing my best not to ruin the partially soggy letter I held in my hooves.

Taking a few moments to open this message-via-rock Momma quickly felt her mind go blank as I looked over its contents.

For the third time that afternoon my mind went absolutely blank. What in Celestia's name was this, a bad movie scene. It was too strange to be real. That didn't stop me from jumping out the broken window and into the rain. Cliché as the moment may have seemed, I tried not to think on that too much and focused more on finding what I had been told was out here was my only objective. The cold rain felt non-exsistant, only me and the garden that expanded behind my house.

Looking around I was frantic to find a... well anything out of place in my field of vision. A small basket, a box, listening for a cry, or a rustle. I was going about parting bush limbs and around the circumference of trees. Momma kept thinking to herself, Come on Harvest think, where would you safely place a baby where it won't be harmed in this rain. After what seemed to be a eternity of searching and thinking I remembered the old shed where I stored her gardening tools.

To put it simply I was running, as fast as Momma could. The sheer horror of a infant being alone for some reason made me at the fastest I could move, and it was true. I must have been going twice as fast as I ever had before because I felt like I'd run a marathon when I slide to a stop in front of the the shed.

It didn't matter though, I had a foal to bring out of this weather which by now had absolutely soaked me. I couldn't bring myself to worry about this though. I was to busy staring at one of the cutest darn sights I'd ever seen in my life. There right before my eyes was a a young angel. I knew that now. A pure white Pegasi filly that looked as frail as she was beautiful. Working quickly I covered up the innocent filly with the light colored blanket I had found with her. Holding her tightly next to my chest."

"You found me Momma!"
"Yes Angel I found you."
"Momma who brought me to you?"
"The princesses probably sent you to me that day my precious Angel, now shall we continue?"
"Yes, please."

"It took me only a moment to get back inside our cottage, I could no longer claim it as only mine, I knew that the little one would've be going anywhere anytime soon. So I threw a few logs into the chimney I started up the fire and left it to crackle as I settled down on the rug with the baby beside me exploring the living room. I smiled at the scene as I thought about what to do about this little filly, a name was at the top of the list. She needed a name, I couldn't just leave a young foal without a name, not such a bright angel as this innocent little foal. There I derived your name my sweet, Angel Glow."

Golden Harvest seeing that her child was sleeping let out a small smile as she kissed Angel's forehead. Tucked in her infant and left the room quietly, tonight the rain had brought more than just boredom and cleaning.

Comments ( 7 )

Welp, gave it a few minutes, now let see it it works this time.

Why hasn't this been featured? I'm so sorry, this has been in my read later for Luna knows how long.

4478937

No one really read it I guess. I dont add my stories in a redundant manner where its instantly in 50 groups.

Also I have no cover art.

4478992 Yeah, guess promotion does help.Welp, this is a great fic. Deserves more recognition though. :twilightsmile: Wanna know something funny? I tried to comment earlier, but the site was bugging out. Heck I even tried your userpage and pm. I almost thought you blocked me. Not that I could for the life of me figure out why you'd do so?

4479015

So your cousin said.

4479066 :ajbemused: ... As I can see on your user page. :facehoof: Gadammi... he blew everything out of proportion. I swear he's a drama queen sometimes.

Login or register to comment