• Published 1st May 2013
  • 351 Views, 7 Comments

A Crafter Rolls In - GaleWind



Even a crafter can move as fast as the wind

  • ...
7
 7
 351

Chapter 1 (re-mastered)

The rattle of the train moving over the tracks shook the cars and its occupants. The train itself was coming from Baltimare with it making multiple stops. Most of the occupants were busing themselves with gossip or reading the newspaper. However, one occupant had a different time passer.

In one of the cars, a passenger was busy using a knife on a block of wood. The pony was a dark green coated stallion with a short, spiky, swept back blue mane. His eyes, which were covered by blue tinted goggles, were focused on the block of wood as he expertly used the knife in his right hoof to whittle it. A testament to his cutie mark: a chisel and hammer shaped in an ‘X’ with a swirl of wind in the back.

Even though his focus was on his work, he kept his ears open as he listened to the couple that sat across from him. Most of their conversation was about their trip but one piece of new caught his attention.

“I still can’t believe that Princess Luna has returned.” The wife spoke.

“Yes Violet, I can hardly believe it myself. Apparently, Princess Celestia’s student and her friends saved her little over two days ago.” The husband responded.

That was news that brought the stallion to stop his work and look up.

‘Princess Luna returned? Jeez, this proves I should keep up on what’s going on.’ He thought to himself. The husband noticed the he had stopped and was looking at them.

“Uh, excuse me sir, but is something wrong.” He asked him as his wife turned to look at him as well.

“Oh, I’m sorry if I’m intruding but, it’s just that I overheard you talking. You said Princess Luna has returned.” He asked.

“Why yes she did. You mean you didn’t know.” Violet responded.

“No, I’ve been a little slow on what’s happening in Equestria.” He said.

“No harm, yes she has returned. She came back the day after the Summer Sun Celebration in a small town called Ponyville.” She said.

“Ponyville!” He shockingly said. ‘I’ve been gone for too long.’

After answering, the stallion went back to his whittling with an increase in his speed. The couple was surprised by how fast he was working and by how effortlessly he did it.

We will be arriving in Ponyville in three minutes. Please, those disembarking, prepare any luggage you have.” The conductor spoke out.

The stallion looked to where the voice came from. He folded his carving knife, placed it in his saddlebag next to him, sat the carving down and lowered his goggles to around his neck, revealing his light blue eyes.

He got up from his seat, grabbed his saddlebags and placed them on his back as the train came to a stop.

“Well, this is my stop. It was nice talking to you both, take care.” He said as he waked out of the room. The couple waved him off as the doors closed.

“He was a nice, young stallion wasn’t he dear?” Violet asked her husband to which he nodded in agreement. She looked at where the stallion was sitting and noticed something.

“Iron, isn’t that the carving he was working on?” She asked as she pointed towards it.

“I believe it is. He must have forgotten it.” Iron said as he got up from his seat and picked up the carving. When he got a good look at it he gave a short gasp.

“What is it, dear?” she asked. Iron turned and showed her the carving and she too gasped at the sight.

The young stallion had whittled the block of wood into a flower. The amount of detail in it almost made it look like an actual violet. Also, on closer look, it almost seemed as if the features of the flower were made out of metal, despite it being carved from wood.

“It’s beautiful; I’d almost believe it was an actual flower! He did all of that?!” She spoke in shock. She couldn’t believe that the young stallion did all of that work in an hour. Iron turned it in his hoof and glimpsed at something on the base.

“There’s an inscription on the bottom.” He said.

“What’s it say?”

“It says,"

'Thank you for the conversation.
Happy 10th Anniversary!
S.C.'

The couple looked at each other and smiled warmly.

“Such a thoughtful boy.” Violet said as the train began to move as it left the station. Iron got back in his seat as he held his wife’s hoof in his right one and the flower in his left.

“Yes, he was. I wonder what ‘S.C.’ stands for. It’s probably his initials.” He spoke as they felt train begin to move again.

The train departed from the station and those that left it went about their business. The stallion stood on the platform as he gazed at the small town. He took in a deep breath, let out a sigh and had a smile on his face.

“It’s good to be home.”


The mane six were walking towards golden oaks library. It has only been a couple of days since she got here, but Twilight had managed to make good friends with all of the girls.

“Thanks again for getting more familiar with the town girls.” She said.

“Think nothin’ of it, Twilight.” Applejack said.

“Yes darling, it’s the least we could do.” Rarity said. The other girls also offered their welcomes as they continued to walk. Rainbow was also starting to become antsy so she flew in the sky before speeding back down.

“Dash, you really need to stop doing that.” Applejack spoke.

“I’m just bored. No offense Twilight, but can we speed this up.” Rainbow said.

“Maybe you should just slow down.” Applejack responded.

“You know I don’t do slow, Applejack. Can we please peak up the pace?” Rainbow insisted.

“Not everypony is as impatient or fast as you.” Twilight said.

“I don’t know about that but you’re right. But, I guess your right Twilight. Nopony is as fast as me!” She boasted as he crossed her hooves.

“Some things never change, do they?”

When she heard that voice, Rainbow’s right eye twitched a bit before lowering to the ground. She slowly turned around and faced the owner of the voice.

“You.” She growled.

The owner of the voice was the green coated stallion from the train. He had a smile on his face as he waved his front hoof.

“Nice to see you too, Dash” He said.

The girls noticed who Rainbow was talking too and were surprised to see him. There was a second of silence until Pinkie bounced right toward him.

“You’re back, you’re back, you’re back! Welcome back, did you get us a present?!” She asked excitedly as she gave him a tight hug.

“Agh, Pinkie… my ribs… breaking.” He gasped trying to breath. She let go of the hug and took in a deep breath.

“I thought you were going to be gone for a couple more days.” Applejack said.

“I got on an early train and thought about surprising everypony. But apparently, I came back after something interesting has happened.” He said.

“Oh, we simply must tell you about all that’s happened.” Rarity said.

“Speaking of which there’s somepony you should meet.” Applejack said. She led the stallion over to Twilight who watched the conversation with interest. “Twilight, this here is Swift Craft, Ponyville’s resident crafter. Swift, this is Twilight Sparkle, she just moved here.”

“Nice to meet you, Swift Craft.” Twilight said.

“Same to you Twilight, but you can call me Swift. So, what made you decide to move here?” he asked. Before she could answer, Rainbow spoke up.

“Not so fast Swift!” She exclaimed which caused all of them to look at her. “Since you came home early, how about a race?”

Swift gave a small frown. “Seriously, can’t this wait until tomorrow? I mean I just got off the train.” He tried to give a reason the dissuade her.

“No way! Right here, right now.” She proclaimed. The girls looked back and forth between the two before settling on Swift for his answer.

He gave a small sigh before looking at her. “Alright, where to?”

“We go to the ‘Sweet Apple Acres’ sign and back here.” She stated. Swift agreed as he slid his saddlebags off and the two got into position. Twilight looked at the two in concern and looked backed at the others.

“Shouldn’t we stop them?” She asked.

“Nah, best to let them get it out of there system.” Applejack pointed out “Besides, you’re about to see a treat.” She added with a small chuckle.

Twilight was a little confused at that remark. The girls watched as Pinkie bounced in front of the two. Rainbow flared her wings as Swift placed his goggles over his eyes.

“Okie dokie, on your mark, get set, GO!”

The two jetted off, leaving a cloud of dust from where they were. Twilight was shocked with not only how fast they were, but there was somepony that could keep up with Dash on the ground.

Swift weaved through ponies in his way with expert reflexes as Dash sped through the air unhindered.

The two were already half way to the sign. Rainbow pushed her wings harder as she touched the sign and flew back to the others. She looked back and saw Swift right behind her.

“Not this time!” she said through gritted teeth as she moved her wings faster. She was a few feet away from them when she pulled up, kicking up dust.

The girls coughed through the dust. Dash’s wings cleared the cloud as she landed. She looked behind her and didn’t see any sign of Swift.

“Yes, I’ve reclaimed my title!” She declared as she pumped her hoof in the air.

“Uh, hate to disappoint you Dash but… “

She froze and slowly turned around and saw him just behind the others. Her raised hoof came down hard and met her face, hard.

“…the record still stands."

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment