The Writeoff Association 937 members · 681 stories
Comments ( 349 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 349
RogerDodger
Group Admin

Event overview

Please refrain from saying anything that might compromise your anonymity. Doing so is grounds for disqualification. It's recommended you do dummy reviews of your own stories should it otherwise be easy to deduce which you wrote.

TheNumber25
Group Contributor

'Ere we go again.

Bad Horse
Group Contributor

Cannot enter. My weekend is already booked solid.

journcy
Group Contributor

oh man oh man

A dozen helpings of nope this time too. A single weekend to do 2000+ words isn't something my work schedule will let me do :pinkiesad2:

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

Oh god, already? D: I still say we need to do these every five weeks, or every four weeks from the end of the previous contest rather than the beginning of it.

Also, I notice the 8k word limit. Trying something new?

RazgrizS57
Group Contributor

I might be able to make this one, but I might also have to abstain from reviewing. My schedule crosses the event horizon just around when the writing is supposed to end.

M1Garand8
Group Contributor

I'm in unless the prompt doesn't give me any good ideas.

Silent Strider
Group Contributor

One thing about the prompts already submitted do pique my curiosity. A few seem to break the "not lock participants into certain characters, settings, or plots" rule; is there some kind of official enforcement of those rules, or is it left to the discretion of the participants?

RogerDodger
Group Admin

I think the current pace is okay. While it's four weeks between events, it's eight weeks between short story contests (and between minific contests). If you enter only one or the other, they might seem too far apart.

That said, if a substantial number of people would rather there be five (or any number that isn't four) weeks between events, then I could change it to that.

Keyword: substantial. Changes to the schedule won't be made lightly. I like keeping things consistent so that people can manage their own schedule with the assumption that write-offs fall at predictable intervals.

Regarding the wordcount: It's a short story contest. Once you start approaching 5 digit word counts, it's time to rethink your definition of "short".

The other reason is that the 10k+ wordcount stories get abnormally high scores. One explanation I have for this is that the people that don't like the story don't read it through to the end, and therefore don't vote on it. This is supported by the fact that the longer stories have fewer votes on them. So in a way, I feel like those not-so-short stories have an unfair advantage.

Titanium Dragon
Group Contributor

I like the present schedule; it feels good to me. But I'm crazy. I like them nice and frequent.

The length seems reasonable enough to me. :heart: I have yet to compete in a full-length contest though.

Looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll be able to come up with something good.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

Okay, that seems a good reason to try a shorter wordcount. Well, that and keeping the overall word total down if we get another 30+ entrants. :) (Which I'm betting we won't, with no prizes offered.)

Silent Strider
Group Contributor

The far higher minimum size will likely do far more to limit the entrants than the lack of prizes. In the minific events I'm able to enter 3-4 fics, in the short story ones I was never able to submit more than one :scootangel:

Flashgen
Group Contributor

I can only promise to try, and then fail miserably.

Fuzzyfurvert
Group Contributor

I can't make this one. Going to a festival over the weekend and my travel table is crap for writing.

Bachiavellian
Group Contributor

I'd love to join in on this one, but I really don't know if I can put out several thousand words in three days. I can usually only get out 500ish words per writing session. :facehoof:

Axis of Rotation
Group Contributor

Oh snap, an 8000 word cap. That's new, but certainly not unwelcome. Personally, I think it'll help me to keep out much of the fattening I tend to add while writing.

That's a bummer, I hate it when I can't make a writeoff. A festival sounds awesome though.

I'd say give it a shot! You never know what may happen. And if you don't finish it then so what? At least you tried. There's been a handful of writeoffs that I gave a shot but didn't finish in time, and none of those I regret attempting. So why not, eh? :twilightsmile:

bookplayer
Group Contributor

If nothing comes up this weekend (a pretty big "if" with a two month old baby) I might give this one a shot if I like the prompt.

Titanium Dragon
Group Contributor

Welp, I voted on the prompt. There were some good ones.

Silent Strider
Group Contributor

Let's see what gets picked.

For the time being I'm going to brainstorm every prompt that I think might have a chance; I need to refill my ideas book anyway :scootangel:

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

Only today did I come up with a story I really want to write. Too bad I've already voted. D:

bookplayer
Group Contributor

3620379 Maybe you'll get lucky, and everyone else will get your telepathic message and vote for the prompt you need.

journcy
Group Contributor

some good prompts! i'm sad that i was a grapefruit and missed submissions though

Titanium Dragon
Group Contributor

You could just write it anyway if it doesn't get picked.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

That's the failsafe plan, yes. :V

horizon
Group Admin

My main objection to the four-week schedule is that I've been basically losing a week to each comp, in between the writing and then obsessively handcrafting reviews that are 4x the wordcount of the actual writing I did.

The simple solution is for me to be more realistic about reviews, rather than gripe about the writeoff schedule. And I definitely do appreciate that the writeoffs are forcing me to produce and finish at least one story per month.

horizon
Group Admin

Suggestion: Give NaNoWriMo a try this November. Whether or not you finish, it's an eye-opening experience. When you have to keep up a sustained pace of 1,667 words per day, and you throw away all of the excuses about producing polished work that keep you slaving over the same words over and over and throwing out the bad stuff, you learn an incredible amount about the process of writing.

Also, there comes a point at which your muse kicks into overdrive, your inner editor is at peace with writing crap, and suddenly good words start pouring out. My personal favorites out of all the stories I've written have come out of the NaNo variants I've done where I've tried to write a short story every day, or write 50k of short stories in a month.

Bachiavellian
Group Contributor

This looks really interesting! I do have the ideas for a couple of longer stories that've been marinating for a while. Maybe this will help me stop feeling intimidated by the thought of starting these projects. Just a quick question: Do you think making a big ol' outline helps with this event, or should I try to keep things more loose and flexible?

And I think I'm going to go ahead and go with 3617037's advice. I mean, I did join the writeoffs specifically to help streamline my writing process. Not much point if I'm going to chicken out as soon as the wordcount starts rising.

Axis of Rotation
Group Contributor

That's the spirit!

Titanium Dragon
Group Contributor

So... what happens when there is a tie in the prompt voting? "In Case of Emergency" and "There's Magic In Everything" got 18 votes apiece.

Axis of Rotation
Group Contributor

Coin toss?
Edit: Oh, there we go. "There is magic in everything." Not too bad ^^
And so we go.

bookplayer
Group Contributor

According to the FAQ, one of the tied prompts is chosen at random. When that will be, I don't know.

Titanium Dragon
Group Contributor

Already has been, apparently. "There Is Magic In Everything".

M1Garand8
Group Contributor

Seems like There is Magic in Everything won.

bookplayer
Group Contributor

That'll do.

Xepher
Group Contributor

/me is ashamed to admit that he couldn't figure out what prompt won... until coming here and THEN realizing that the event name changes to the winning prompt!

horizon
Group Admin

Oh man. I was tossing around a few ideas in my head that would work beautifully for … half of the other high-voted prompts, actually, but for this one I'm drawing a blank. Well, I've got a day to brainstorm before I get any writing time!

Silent Strider
Group Contributor

Well, if there is magic in everything, then you can write about anything, as long as you work your magic :scootangel:

(Being only half facetious here; it's among the prompts I wanted to win because, in a scenario that is described as "the magical land of Equestria," it's hugely open, and that before even going beyond the literal meaning of magic.)

FanOfMostEverything
Group Contributor

Hmm. A lot of ways one could read this one. Especially when taking the "Friendship is Magic" equivalence into account. This is going to be fun.

Silent Strider
Group Contributor

A lot of ways one could read this one

Fun activity: look at some episodes and figure out how to make them fit the prompt. Hint: about anything you could rename "X Is Magic" probably fits, so many episodes would only need a slight focus tweak :scootangel:

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

Augh, this prompt is awful. D: The other one that tied with it wasn't much better. Time to ignore it and write random shit!

Thisisalongname
Group Contributor

So can't really figure out a story that fits with the spirit of the prompt, mainly because I can't figure out what the spirit of the prompt is, so just gonna write the story I've had sitting in my ideas collection for a while and pretend it fits. If people can't figure out which one I wrote, then I guess it did fit :/

horizon
Group Admin

> There's magic in everything … especially when taking the "Friendship is Magic" equivalence into account

Oooh! I've got a perfect story idea! A pony makes friends with a rock!

… it's kind of sad that the show has moved so far beyond satire that I have to pick and choose my punchline. :derpytongue2:

Silent Strider
Group Contributor

Yep, your destiny might be rocky here :pinkiecrazy:

... I regret nothing :trixieshiftright:

Bachiavellian
Group Contributor

Okay, I'm stuck with blanks in all six chambers for this one. Seriously, how is it that a prompt can sound so promising up until the moment you're locked in with it?

Dubs Rewatcher
Group Contributor

Oof... I've got something of an idea, but I'm not so sure...

I was really hoping for that "High Class, Low Style" prompt.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

I settled on something after all. :O

For the record, I was gunning for "Trust".

Dubs Rewatcher
Group Contributor

This was my first time submitting a prompt, and I was happy to see that my "Every New Day" submission actually got some votes. :yay:

Titanium Dragon
Group Contributor

I came up with a couple things for this. We'll see whether or not I do both.

Sunny
Group Contributor

Time to see what rolls in from the ole noggin.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 349