• Published 31st Mar 2013
  • 9,866 Views, 1,155 Comments

What's Really the Most Important? - KrishnaKarnak



Rainbow Dash's life with Scootaloo has begun. But with a nasty disorder growing in the young Scoot, will Rainbow be able to balance affections between her and Rainbow's crush, Soarin? A mission to Saddle Arabia is about to make everything m

  • ...
20
 1,155
 9,866

PreviousChapters Next
35 Zugzwang

The thick, dark smoke was still masking the action taking place at the gallows. After the heart-stopping sound of the trapdoor swinging open ripped through the square like a gunshot, half a dozen griffons, including Major Hawkeye herself, took to the air once more. In an instant, they were flying into the confusing din of dark clouds and wood. The noise of their razor sharp wing covers cleaving the air like butter was like a guillotine. Wave Chill’s confused swearing mixed with Rapidfire’s own startled curses. The sounds of the yelling soldiers and Hawkeye barking out orders were all anyone could hear. Not one sound of a jerked or stiffening rope could reach Rainbow Dash’s ears.

Finally, one by one, four pegasi were born from the smoke and Rainbow’s heart leapt. A bright orange streak lead the pack as Spitfire flew to freedom. The bright white of Fleetfoot was next to leave the danger zone. The red of Fire Streak trailed behind the white. Finally, Lightning Streak’s golden yellow tail trail left Wave Chill and his entourage in the dust. The Steel Talons circled around the escapees, throwing the severed ropes they had diced into a hundred pieces to the ground.

Rainbow Dash didn’t even have to think about it. She looked sideways at Soarin for the briefest of moments. As their eyes met, she tried to communicate her intentions wordlessly to him. Whether or not he would understand, Rainbow Dash never stuck around to find out. Above them, more griffons were throwing smoke bombs in attempt to mask the escape path of the Wonderbolts. Flinging her wings wide, she leapt into the air and rocketed straight up. Before the exploding bombs and their expanding clouds could blind her, she was already free of the smoke’s radius.

She had to catch up with them. They had to make contact, if not with the Talons, then at least with the Wonderbolts. Wave Chill was the only soul in the square, apart from herself, that could match the speed of the escaping ponies. With luck, by the time the smoke had faded completely, each and every one of them will have safely vanished from the Jewel District.

Rainbow rose ten, forty, a hundred feet, her disguised form leaving a long blue trail. Determination to catch up to Spitfire and the others flooded her. Following the fading colours of the tails, she turned west and beat her wings vigorously against the air.

Gymkhana flashed below her as she continued to accelerate, fixing her gaze upon the escaping fliers she was slowly, but surely, closing the distance with. They continued to fly west, well into the Crossroads. As she inched closer and closer, two griffons detached from the pack and slowed. One was large and burgundy-coloured, while the other looked small, speedy, and with snow-white fur to match his head. Rainbow Dash saw their steel claws flash in the dying light and she swore, rolling over in the air to avoid a slash as she blew past them. Getting diced like a tomato was not necessarily conducive to her present plans of letting the Wonderbolts know that she and her friends were safely in the city with Soarin and Rapidfire.

“I’M ONE OF THE GOOD GUYS, YA BUNCHA KNOBS!” she snarled at them as she shot by, diving low to avoid another slash as the smaller of the two sped up to catch her.

“HOW IS THAT PEGASUS KEEPING UP WITH US? KNOCK THAT PINK WITCH OUT OF THE AIR, YOU CUBS!” Major Hawkeye barked the order back to the two griffons still on Rainbow’s tail.

Rainbow wasn’t the least bit scared. Even though there were two of them, the griffons trying to attack her couldn’t even come close to maintaining a speed to match her own. She dipped low, flying down toward the rooftops in an attempt to slow them both down. She rolled over in the air again, falling into an alleyway and forcing the larger one to stay above her. Using her well-practiced agility, Rainbow Dash’s constant changes of direction as she weaved around buildings and over low stone walls ensured that the smaller pursuer wouldn’t be able to catch her.

One final turn lead her to a dead-end. Twisting around in the air, she rocketed back above the rooftops again. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw the larger griffon spot her and resume the chase. Accelerating high into the sky again, she fixed her gaze back upon the Wonderbolts’ bright colours, which were moving into the next district. She rose and fell, moving this way and that, circling the winded griffon pair easily and avoiding their every attempt to harm her. Even out in the open, as long as she kept shooting looks at both of them, doing her very best to estimate precisely where they would be at any given moment, she couldn’t be touched.

“SPITFIRE!” Rainbow roared ahead, panting with the effort now. She had to be no less than fifty feet behind the group. “TELL THAT STUPID BIRDBRAIN THAT I’M FRIENDLY! I’M RAINB-Gah!”

Rainbow had to flatten out her wings to slow down in order to allow the pair’s most recent attempt to slash her to fail. She had gotten so distracted in calling out to Spitfire that she hadn’t even noticed the smaller of the pair coming up from below her.

“G, take care of her,” Hawkeye commanded one of the griffons alongside her. “Falchion, Ruby! Leave it to her!”

“Right, I got this,” the griffon beside her replied, flattening out her own wings vertically to slow down.

Hawkeye, her cohorts, Rainbow’s pursuers, and the Wonderbolts themselves pulled ahead and left Rainbow to contend with this new challenger. She had a very light orange-amber coat, although her white head matched the other members of her team. Her claws and wings were, of course, covered in metal.

The griffon shot forward, both claws outstretched, and Rainbow twisted around to fly low. Effortlessly, her pursuer echoed her movements and revolved around to face her without losing momentum. Rainbow could feel the sharp claws wrap around her neck from behind. Slight tickles told her that parts of her mane had been cut away thanks to the metallic gauntlets and were falling to earth. Very quickly, Rainbow aimed a buck into the griffon’s abdomen.

The claws left her throat. Instead, they went for her wings. Dash let out a shriek of pain as numerous feathers were yanked from her skin. Luckily, her attacker had not managed to scratch up the wings themselves. Dash shot forward with all of her might, speeding toward the ground, and looped under an archway. Immediately, she soared upward and, turning upside down, flew back over the arch again. She could see the griffon sailing beneath her. Dash continued this loop and ended up behind her new opponent.

The griffon swooped around a tall lamp post, her metallic wings clattering the burning brazier at the peak, and turned to face Rainbow Dash again. The two women stared one another down.

“Alright, pony...” the griffon growled menacingly. “I’ll give ya the chance to run away. If ya refuse... I’ll have no choice but to break your wings!”

“Wings?!” Rainbow was kinda starting to grow tired of the threats to her life and limb. She felt the anger boil up in her stomach like a ferocious bile. “I’LL BREAK YOUR FACE! Rainbow screamed, glaring into the fierce orange eyes of the griffon as it tore towards her. “YOU DIRTY, FILTHY, FU— wait... Gilda?”

“Huh?” The griffon stopped in midair, claw paused in mid-slash. “How d-did you know my n-name?!” she demanded.

Rainbow took a deep breath and managed to smile. “How do I know your name? How do I?” she laughed. “Junior Speedsters are our lives, sky-bound soars and daring dives...

Gilda’s beak fell open. “J-junior Speedsters, it’s our quest, to someday be the very best...” She held a shaky claw to her forehead. “Dash?! But... how? You’ve gotta be joking me, I mean, you’re pink!”

“Why does everypony only see the pink?” Dash sighed. “I’ve got blue hair! I’m disguised, G, but hoooly crap! What are the odds that I’d see you in the middle of Hell, of all places?”

“Well, the fact that Gymkhana IS Hell is a good enough reason all on it’s own, but when the heck did you join the Wonderbolts?” Gilda demanded, looking mildly impressed.

“Not in yet. I’m just working with them,” Dash explained, still grinning. Despite the fact that she had last seen the griffon storming out of Sugarcube Corner at the end of their friendship, she was nevertheless quite pleased to see her old ’bestie’. “Are the Steel Talons in ’the Order’, or whatever they call it?”

“Yeah, but not many know. Even those in the Order themselves,” Gilda said, flying up to land on top of a rooftop. Rainbow Dash joined her, looking around cautiously to make sure they hadn’t been spotted by anyone. “Like, that former Wonderbolt didn’t seem to recognize the Steel Talons, did he? But... what the hell, Dash? What exactly is happening? Why did that ’Bolt go rogue? What are you actually doing in the city?”

“That’s a good snot-load of questions right there, but lemme ask ya one in turn: where is Hawkeye taking the rest of the Wonderbolts?” Dash asked, frowning.

“We’ve got a pretty good hideout in the city. More of a roost, really. I expect our commander is taking them on a route all over the city before heading there, in case they end up being followed.”

Rainbow turned to stare at the menacing outline of the towering palace at the centre of the city. “You all got away thanks to those smoke bombs. Hawkeye shoulda took them straight to your hideout. How could they possibly be followed? I mean, c’mon, that’s stupid.”

“Gwyndolin,” Gilda said simply. “She’s been doing her best to keep tabs on our activities here in the last month. I wouldn’t be surprised if she already has pegasus guards following the rest of them right now. Better to leave an impression all over the city and throw them off the trail, since we don’t know how she’s been tracking us. Thankfully, we’re always cloaked when we leave or arrive at the roost, so they’ll never find us. We can’t stay cloaked forever, though... that’s the thing.”

“That’s all pretty awesome and all, but I’m confused: didn’t this all start like ten or eleven days ago?” If Wave Chill really was in charge, then how could things have been strange in the city before the Wonderbolts even arrived in the first place, Dash wondered? “What exactly has been going on?”

“We’ve both got a million questions, so let’s go to the roost and wait for the team and the Wonderbolts. We’ll get it all out in the open and I trust ya enough to take ya there, Dash. But, uh... listen, back in Ponyville...”

“Don’t apologize for what happened between us, G... Rain under the clouds, dude. There’s kinda bigger, y’know, fish to fry right now than our stupid teenage feud,” Dash reassured her, smiling as she stood up. “I’m... happy to see ya, by the way.”

“Hey, uh... Pinkie Pie isn’t here, is she?” Gilda asked, standing up herself.

“Pinkie Pie has a tendency to be freakin’ everywhere,” Dash explained lightly. “So, duh.”

“Ha, figures. Well, as fun as it is to stand here in the open after I just helped interrupt the execution of accused terrorists, c’mere; I’ll cloak us so we can travel invisibly,” Gilda offered, extending one of her metal claws.

“Neat!” Rainbow said appreciatively, marching forward without fear.

Gilda took a glance at her wing. “Sorry about that, by the way.”

“It’s cool.” Rainbow shrugged. “You didn’t do any real damage, so we’re ace... oh, Celestia, I haven’t used the word ’ace’ since I was, like, fifteen! I talk like an idiot around you, G.”

“You talk like an idiot anyway,” Gilda chuckled, grinning. She took a firm hold of Rainbow’s hoof and ran a claw against the runed belt around her waist. At once, Gilda’s body, not to mention her own, faded from Rainbow’s vision.

“I gotta hold on to ya like a foalsitter, or else it’ll fade. Not against being flown along like a child, are ya, sweetheart? You want ice cream?” Gilda snickered.

“Lead on, Mama!” Dash laughed.

Rainbow felt a tug as the metal gauntlets tightened against her hoof. The claws interlocked around the diameter, allowing the griffon to grip her safely. Flapping her wings hard, she allowed herself to be lead blindly, unable to see her old friend, but nevertheless able to make a rough estimate of where to fly.

Gilda lead her above and out of the district. Flying higher and higher, they approached the palace. A slight feeling of apprehension crept over her briefly, but it was extinguished just as fast when Gilda continued to climb in altitude. As they soared over the palace grounds, Rainbow glanced down at the Gymkhanan seat of power properly for the first time.

From a bird’s eye perspective, the palace outline was shaped like the prongs of a trident. A large, grand staircase lead up to what had to be the main entrance on the centre ’fork.’ At the foot of the stairs, a large, elegant fountain stood, with a walkway beyond that which lead down into the Jewel District, not far from the chaotic movement of the crowd still in the square with the gallows. Craning her neck, she looked back to study the facade of the building proper. The main gates stood several stories high and open, with ivy growing in delicate patterns over the walls on either side. Stone paths lead all around the building, winding between fenced gardens or alongside white gazebos.

She could catch no more details as Gilda accelerated toward one of the towers along the great perimeter wall. As they drew nearer, it looked fairly worn down and disused. Despite this, the tip of it glowed like a bright beacon. Gilda paused just outside of a grated window. Rainbow Dash felt the griffon’s grip on her break and her own body reappeared before her eyes. Immediately, she glanced down to ensure that no one was watching, heart nearly stopping. The hum of the glowing pinnacle was making her fur stand on end. Or, perhaps, she reasoned with herself as she relaxed, that was just the magic in the air.

“Warn me when... when you’re gonna let go, G! Almost gave me a heart attack,” Dash gasped after a moment, rolling her eyes. “Was... worried we’d be spotted.”

“I checked our surroundings before I did, don’t sweat it, Dash. I needed my claws free to wrench this open, anyway. We’re using this tower as a hideout,” Gilda explained, apparently clinging to the grate and giving a grunt as she pulled it free. “The grating over this window is busted, so we can remove it. Thankfully, it’s easy enough to put back into place.”

“I saw the five towers as we flew over the city when we first arrived. What are they used for, exactly?” Rainbow asked curiously as Gilda reappeared in front of her.

“Uh... defensive magical conduits, or something,” Gilda said, carefully pushing the removed grating through the window before she clambered inside the tower herself. “I don’t really understand it.” She stood aside for Rainbow Dash.

Squeezing herself in carefully, Rainbow stumbled a little on her hooves as she landed haphazardly. Once she was standing properly, she spoke up again.

“Magical conduit, huh? What the hell’s with this place? Between conduits and alchemy, I’ll never freakin’ understand it...” Rainbow sighed. She took a moment to glance around the interior, which resembled a small storage room in a shop. There were lots of wooden boxes, dusty and with tattered, fading labels. Oddly enough, there was also an assortment of rusty iron instruments and old weapons such as spears and loop-handled sabres.

“Yeah.” Gilda nodded. “I know my cloaking device uses alchemy and invisibility magic, but I dunno exactly how it works. I need to use my steel gauntlets to activate it... something to do with minerals. Or something. It’s all ’voodoo’ to me!” Gilda glanced around the room herself, her yellow eyes trailing to the ceiling. “Wanna know what’s strange about these towers, though? They haven’t been used for years, according to the commander. They were fired up the night before yesterday.”

“Really...?” Rainbow’s eyes widened somewhat. “That feels kinda-sorta important.”

“Kinda-sorta like when the Wonderbolts got caught?”

“They got caught yesterday, though,” Rainbow informed her, standing up on her hind legs and leaning against the circular wall of the room. “Still, with everything the way it is in this stupid city right now, it feels important. Wave Chill only just took over, after all.”

“I’d say there’s a billion significant things happening due to that asshole assuming control of the military and, by extension, the Ruling Council.”

“The Gymkhanan leaders are definitely under his control, then?” Dash asked in amazement, running a hoof ruefully through her mane.

“Well, they’re under somepony’s control. They aren’t in their right minds, they can’t be. That’s just what makes it all strange, though... this has been going on for months. Y’know, a slow, gradual coup. However, Azure Wings only appeared last week, like ya said! Gwyndolin’s been here forever, though. Yet... she seems to serve him. It’s awfully queer, Dash.”

“Like a three-bit coin,” Dash agreed, putting her hooves behind her head. “You gonna tell me what exactly is happening, then?”

“I think,” Gilda began, smirking towards the window and gesturing with a single claw, “that you’ll have your questions answered for ya.” Rainbow Dash could hear the voices of others floating in through it. “We’ve gotta have a chat with the Wonderbolts, after all. I can’t see Hawkeye shooin’ ya away once she realizes you’re on the same side as us.”

“Huh. The grate is already off. Gilda probably killed her quickly, I expect,” a male voice spoke. Rainbow threw Gilda a wink. “Shame. I wish I could’ve watched it all go down.”

“We don’t need a trail of bodies, dude. If you and Falchion were able to fight her off, G wouldn’t have needed to come to the rescue,” another added. “All the same, I can’t see her killin’ for the fun of it. We’re griffons, not some bloodthirsty anubi savages.”

“For the love of... shut it, you lot!”

“Yes, commander. Ma’am.”

“Yes, commander... Hawkeye, ma’am.”

Unlike Spitfire, it was clear that Hawkeye enjoyed their subordination, even in private. This was evident by her satisfied huff. Rainbow Dash watched as the griffons began to spill through the narrow window, a few of them uncloaking once they got inside, others having done so beforehand. Falchion and Ruby, the two who had chased her, dropped in just before Hawkeye herself, who was leading the Wonderbolts. The Steel Talons who had entered prior were standing quiet, staring dumbfounded at Rainbow Dash, who gave them a cheery wave. The moment Hawkeye’s eyes fell upon her, she held up her hooves defensively.

“Now... slow down, there, Captain Birdbath! Hear me out...” Rainbow explained hastily. “I’m with them.” She jabbed a hoof at Spitfire.

“Who the hell are you?” Spitfire demanded, looking weary. “I don’t know any pink pegasus.”

Rainbow Dash groaned. “That’s all anyone sees. The pink...” she mumbled, but Fleetfoot spoke up before she could continue.

“I believe that I can speculate that the present situation has painted a very clear, and quite frankly, obvious answer to her identity, Captain,” the white-haired mare explained quickly. “There are precious few pegasi we encounter on a day-to-day basis, let alone in previously unventured territory such as Saddle Arabia, who could match the technique or velocity of our own members. Logic dictates that there is, perhaps, a special trait about this particular mare, whom followed us efficiently with little-to-no effort. I’m comfortable enough to make the hypothesis, through my own deductions, that—”

“HOLY MOTHBALLS. GET ON WITH IT!” one of the griffons cried in exasperation.

“Uh. My hypothesis is that the pink pegasus is, in fact, Rainbow Dash, Captain. Disguised, as planned,” Fleetfoot finished lamely, rubbing the back of her mane with a hoof.

“Uh. What she said,” Dash confirmed with a nod, falling back against the wall again with her hooves once more behind her head. “Her hippopotamus makes me Rainbow Dash, which I totes am!”

Spitfire’s eyes widened. “Rainbow Dash! Excellent, you all made it here safely, then? How’s Soarin and Rapidfire?”

“Rapidfire’s here?!” the larger of the pair who had chased Rainbow earlier asked in an excited voice. “Oh, wow. We used to play cards, I miss the miserable old bastard!”

“Shut it, Ruby!” Hawkeye snapped, glaring in his direction.

“Yeah,” Rainbow Dash answered Spitfire. “We’re all safe, but... Rapidfire’s... uh...” Rainbow really didn’t want to be the one to inform Spitfire that her father-figure was brutally injured by the pony whom Spitfire had so often claimed she wanted to kill lately.

What about Dad?” Spitfire asked quickly, narrowing her eyes.

“He’s fine, Spitfire, he’s just a bit, uh... roughed up. He had an encounter with Wave Chill earlier today. Apparently, he smashed Wave Chill through a window! So, that’s awesome,” she explained, still doing her best to skirt the injury.

“Is that so?” Spitfire asked, impressed. “Well, I expected no less from him! Glad he didn’t finish Wave off, though. I’d quite like that privilege myself.”

“A-anyways,” Rainbow continued, “I should better introduce myself to the rest of ya... I’m Rainbow Dash, wielder of the Element of Loyalty and faithful champion of Princess Celestia!”

“You’re a champion of Celestia? Cripes, how bad did she beat you, Gilda?” a high-pitched female Steel Talon member asked, smirking at her. “We all thought you had her dead, at the very least!”

“Oh, it was close,” Gilda laughed, winking at Rainbow. “However, I felt bad once she started crying like a baby and let her live.”

“Translation, for those who need it: me and Gilda used to be best friends back in flight camp. I recognized her, and... yeah!” Dash said, shrugging.

“Well, fair enough,” Hawkeye hissed testily. “Now that that’s all settled: Gilda, I don’t appreciate you bringing a stranger to our roost. What if you were mistaken? You could have brought down the whole operation, if you hauled in one of Gwyndolin’s lot. I expect more tactful decisions in the future, G.”

“I apologize, ma’am. I’ll be more careful in the future,” Gilda said meekly, giving Hawkeye a bow while swishing one of her wings across her body.

“I should say so, Gilda,” Hawkeye growled, turning her attention back to Rainbow Dash.

“You believe Gwyndolin is behind everything, then?” Dash asked her, moving away from the wall.

“We cannot be certain, but she was active in the city before that Wonderbolt went AWOL. Anyways, discussing Gwyndolin or having a cozy catch-up is not why we brought the Wonderbolts here.” Hawkeye cleared her throat and glanced in the direction of Spitfire, licking her beak softly. She took a breath and locked her eyes upon the fiery mare’s own. “First and foremost, this whole thing is on your hooves, Spitfire.”

“I’m sorry, WHAT?” Spitfire snapped, taking a step forward. “Do you actually believe the terrorism crap, Hawkeye?”

Hawkeye stood her ground. “Hardly, Spitfire; I’m not a fool. However, this is on you for failing to control your former teammate. He is as responsible for the state of the city as Gwyndolin, especially as she seems to follow his own orders. You bear, as Wonderbolt Captain, responsibility for him. You allowed him to go rogue.”

Excuse me?!

“If you were half the Captain Rapidfire would have been, you would’ve seen the danger signs before he had the chance to betray you.” The Steel Talons commander’s voice was an icy mist. “Perhaps you should have had your cadets whipped after drunken excursions a little more often? Maybe then you might’ve had some measure of control of the fate of your team!”

“How dare you!” Spitfire snarled. “You have no idea what you’re talking about! THERE WERE NO SIGNS! Hell, we thought he had been taken prisoner. Who the hell do you think you are, placing the blame on me?”

Hawkeye’s eyes had become slits. “Who do I think I am? I’m the one who orchestrated your rescue, you ungrateful whelp,” Hawkeye hissed dangerously. “You remember your execution? You know, when your little colleague SPOKE TO A CROWD OF HUNDREDS ABOUT THE WONDERBOLTS’ RELATIONSHIP WITH THE ORDER?! You realize this compromises not only us, but the safety of Equestria as well? Our enemies here are aware that the Wonderbolts are the best ’special forces’ Equestria has to offer. What if they target Canterlot next?”

“WE HAD A PLAN!” Spitfire bellowed back, stamping her hooves. “WE WEREN’T IN ANY REAL DANGER, YOU WEREN’T EVEN NECESSARY!”

Rainbow jerked an eyebrow at this point in their peaceful little exchange. ’They weren’t in danger? Then why was Fleetfoot looking so scared?’ she thought to herself, confused.

“You weren’t in danger, huh? Then why the hell were the four of you within a foot each of those ropes snapping your necks? Don’t give me your fairy tales, Spitfire.”

“One of Wave Chill’s advisers was there and took the steps to ensure our safety, even if it meant revealing herself as a spy!” Spitfire explained, trying to calm down. “She had already cast the charm that would prevent us from falling the full length of the drop! I repeat, we weren’t in any danger.

“Wait... we w-weren’t?” Fire Streak asked, astonished. “You kept that quiet, Captain...”

“Remember when she spoke to me privately? We agreed that it would be convincing if some of you looked like you actually believed you were going to die.” Spitfire looked somewhat guilty. “Sorry to betray your trust like that, ’Bolts...”

“Even if you didn’t need a rescue from the noose, you were still surrounded by his forces. What’s more, you were still foolish enough to return to the city after whatever the hell you were involved with in the Mesa District!” Hawkeye accused. “Rather than staying away and keeping your muzzles clean, you lead yourself and your teammates back into contested territory to be captured in the first place.”

“Which we did to save innocent lives!” Spitfire retorted. “He attacked a zeppelin, we led him away. What would you have done? Escaped subtly and left innocent lives to the fury of Gwyndolin’s fire magic?”

“Perhaps not! Nevertheless, you were caught, Spitfire. A Wonderbolt still betrayed the Order. Most were unaware of the fact that the Wonderbolts were even a military, let alone affiliated with Celestia, let alone affiliated with the Order! Our leaders anticipated such a development when Azure Wings appeared on the scene, Spitfire... and that brings me to the point of all of this.”

“Get on with it, then!”

“When we were stationed in Gymkhana weeks ago, I deemed it prudent to establish and sustain contact with headquarters. Once it became obvious that one of your crew had gone rogue, they gave me clear details on what would happen if Wave Chill sold the Order out. They would have sent an envoy to Cloudsdale, but since I’ve got you here...”

“Details, huh? Well, yeah, I am here!” Spitfire growled dangerously. “Continue, Hawkeye!”

“Spitfire... you are relieved of your position as Captain, as your team no longer exists.” Hawkeye turned away from her, shaking her head. “The Wonderbolts are disbanded.”

Rainbow Dash looked quickly from Gilda to Spitfire, feeling her jaw drop. Gilda was looking distinctly awkward, but unsurprised; it was clear to Dash that that the griffon must’ve known about this outcome prior.

’The Wonderbolts... disbanded?’ she thought in a panic. Not only did this news affect the future of Soarin, whom she cared for greatly, but her own prospects for joining them as well. On top of that, she was growing rather fond of both Rapidfire and Spitfire, especially the latter now that their ill will toward one another had subsided. She was friendly with all of their members and immensely enjoyed her time at the academy. ’Disbanded...’

Spitfire opened her mouth to respond, but no words came out until several long seconds had passed. “Wh-... what?!”

Rainbow Dash looked around to see the expressions on the faces of the rest of the gathered ponies and griffons. A few Steel Talons looked uneasy. Falchion and Ruby both looked as though this was not news to them. Gilda continued to give Dash a pained expression, almost apologetic in a way. Fire Streak looked furious, his brother, dejected. Fleetfoot stood silently by Spitfire, wordlessly supporting her.

“With the truth about the Wonderbolts now in the open, continued existence will further compromise the Order. You might be contracted by Celestia, but the Order has control over everything to do with your team, and... it’s over, Spitfire. We’ll give you tools to get someplace safe to lay low for a few days. From there, leave the city and leave your mess to us.” Hawkeye motioned for one of the Steel Talons to walk forward. “I’m sorry, Spitfire.”

“You... don’t understand. Do you even know what the Voidwalker is capable of? We have to stay here, we have experience fighting it. Rainbow Dash and her friends have weapons that could possibly defeat it, not to mention Wave Chill and Gwyndolin!” Spitfire protested, breathing deeply and pacing around. She seemed to be choosing her words carefully. “If this spells doom for the Wonderbolts... dammit, so be it! But know this, Hawkeye: you’re not going to shoo us away like obedient little foals sent to bed! WE CAME HERE ON A MISSION, AND CELESTIA BE DAMNED, WE’LL FINISH IT! WE AREN’T GOING ANYWHERE!”

“Stop with the theatrics, Spitfire. I don’t know much about the Voidwalker; we were reporting back to headquarters when the attack happened. However, the Steel Talons’ abilities are great; we don’t fear it. Get out of the city. Sparks will provide you with some rune-marked belts to cloak your way to safety. Mind you, they are not permanent spells and will wear off quickly.”

“I told you... you can’t just send us away!” Spitfire reminded her, beginning to shake with indignation again.

“What choice do you have, exactly?” Hawkeye asked, reaching out for a bag one of the Talons was handing her. “We’ll spare you a few belts. Take these daggers, too; the alchemy can only be activated by touching a mineral, such as iron. A steel dagger will suffice. Just brush the flat side over the runes to activate it. It’ll last for a half an hour before the magic must recharge itself, which takes about seven hours.”

Spitfire did not immediately take one of the belts Hawkeye held out to her.

“Stop the drama, Spitfire. Take these and get your friends to safety.” She softened a little. “This may not be the end of the world, maybe the Order will allow the Wonderbolts to be re-branded under a different name. You don’t have to stick around, but tell Rapidfire we will be in touch with him.”

Spitfire narrowed her eyes again and snatched the belts from the griffon’s claws. “Fine. Here.” She stood on her hind legs and separated one from the hoof-full. Fleetfoot moved forward and took one without comment. Dash herself took one as well.

“What is our plan now, Spitfire?” Lightning Streak asked, reaching out for another.

“I intend for the whole lot of you to act as though nothing has changed. You might not agree with my methods, Hawkeye,” Spitfire spat, reaching out for the handle of a dagger the griffon was now offering, “but this whole mess isn’t over yet. If the Order wants Rapidfire to lead us, so be it. But the Wonderbolts aren’t going anywhere, either as a symbol or physically. We’re not leaving the city until this is over. What’s another two days?”

“Two days?” Hawkeye asked, cocking an eyebrow. “What’s so special about Monday?”

“Maybe you and your Talons should investigate our enemy a little more closely next time.” Spitfire turned to face Rainbow once everyone had wrapped a belt around their midriff and held a dagger in one of their hooves. “Is there a safe place for us, Dash?”

“Yeah, we’ve got a little base of operations in the Crossroads,” Dash answered quickly.

“Wait just a moment, Spitfire...” Hawkeye began, but Spitfire forestalled her.

“We’ve nothing more to say to each other, Hawkeye. You and your Talons do as you see fit, but the Voidwalker attacks the day after tomorrow. If you want to try and fight it yourselves, be my guest.” Spitfire approached the window. “You’re going to get killed, though. Every last one of you. Fleetfoot, Streaks... Let’s go.”

“Yes, Captain,” Fire Streak said, giving her a brief salute with his dagger-hoof. “Uh, whoops.” He did it with the other.

“I’m not your Captain anymore, according to the powers that be,” Spitfire replied bitterly, tapping the flat-side of the dagger against the markings on her belt. Her body vanished.

“I heard what Hawkeye said, ma’am,” Fire boomed in a defiant voice, throwing a reproachful look toward the griffons before swiping his own dagger across the runes on his belt.

“Indeed. One does not simply disband the freakin’ Wonderbolts!” Lightning agreed, following suit.

“It wasn’t my decision, but you better believe I’m enforcing it, after the mess you all left Mesa in,” Hawkeye growled.

Although she could no longer see Spitfire, Rainbow knew the fiery mare was longing to throw back another furious diatribe. However, the former Captain remained silent and waiting. Rainbow took a moment to wrap the belt around her back and belly.

“I’ll lead you all back to our little safe zone,” she told the Wonderbolts, staring at the places they had all vanished, now that Fleetfoot had disappeared as well. Turning her head, her eyes fell upon Gilda. “Until next time, G...”

Gilda nodded awkwardly and Rainbow tapped the blade across her runic belt. At once, her body vanished from her vision. “I’ll fly slow so you guys can hear me.”

“Yeah. Lead on, Dash,” Spitfire said simply.

“Spitfire...” Hawkeye spoke slowly, turning to face her own team. “Tell Rapidfire... I’m sorry. I don’t hide my disagreement with you, but Rapidfire earned my respect twenty years ago.”

Spitfire huffed in agreement. Rainbow moved over to the window and carefully stepped up on it, squeezing herself out and giving a quick flap of her wings once she was in the open air again. Holding the handle of the little dagger was awkward with her hoof, but she wanted to have her mouth free to direct the Wonderbolts.

“Lemme know when you guys are outside...” she said clearly, beating her wings to stay airborne.

A few moments later and Spitfire spoke up. “I think we’re all out now. These cloaking things are going to get really annoying, really fast.”

“You know what...” Rainbow saw a silver dagger reappear as it fell away from the field of the cloaking magic. “I ain’t holdin’ on to this crap.”

“Just slip it into the belt you’re wearing, Fire Streak,” Spitfire suggested.

“Oh...”

“It doesn’t matter, the belts deactivate in a half-hour, so no real point in holding on to the daggers, I suppose. I’m holding on to mine, however. Now... it’s going to be next to impossible to stay together with all of us invisible, so let’s link together.”

“What if we need to use ’em again, though? The belts, I mean. We should hold on to the daggers, right?” Fire Streak’s voice asked.

“You just threw yours away!” Lightning reminded him.

“Then we find something metal,” Spitfire answered quickly, before the brothers could get into an argument. “The rest of ya hold on to your knives. Celestia, we’re wasting time here.” Dash slipped her own dagger into her belt. “Now... speak up, Dash; I want to know exactly where you are. I’m going to grab one of your back hooves.”

“Uh. ’Kay... Uh... so, basically, you’re gonna act like the Wonderbolts haven’t been taken out, Spit?” Rainbow enquired, asking the question mainly as an excuse to keep talking long enough for Spitfire to pinpoint her exact location. She felt the mare’s hooves grip her own.

“Those are my exact intentions,” Spitfire confirmed.

“Keep your voices down...” Lightning urged them. “What if the Talons hear us?”

“There’s not a thing they’re gonna do to stop us, Lightning,” Fire growled confidently.

“Damn straight,” Spitfire said, giving a little laugh. “I think we’re all linked, Dash. Fly on.”

“I believe ’dire straits’ is a more pertinent term for our present situation...” Fleetfoot mumbled uneasily. “The most desirable outcome of that encounter with the Steel Talons would have seen the entirety of our two groups joining forces to battle against a common enemy.”

“Sometimes stubborn is annoying,” one of the Streaks spoke sagely. As Rainbow was focusing on trying to remember which part of the city was the Crossroads, she wasn’t paying too much attention.

As little as she wanted to, she decided to lead them back over the square in the Jewel District and retrace the steps she and her friends had walked earlier to get to the execution. Although flying anywhere near where Wave Chill or Gwyndolin could possibly be would be stupid, it was still unlikely to her that they would expect the Wonderbolts to return to the scene of their escape.

“Let’s fly to the West,” she said aloud, flapping her wings with a little more force and pushing forward. “We’ll go back over the square where the gallows are. Soarin, Rapidfire, and my friends are probably back in the Crossroads by now. Or... well, they probably will be by the time we get there.”

“Where exactly in the Crossroads are we flying?” Spitfire asked.

“The Amber Cottage, run by some satyr bloke named Amadeus,” Dash explained, eyes focused on the outline of the gallows in the distance. The large, open square was quite visible from this height. “He’s part of the New Lunar Republic, they’re working with Princess Luna.”

“The Princess mentioned them, yeah,” Spitfire informed her. “She didn’t sound too trustworthy of them, though. That’s to be expected, I guess... that cult is pretty much famous for being insane.”

“There exists the extremists in every organization, ma’am,” Fleetfoot added. “The New Lunar Republic has gained infamy due to various outrageous acts of crime or terror done in the name of Nightmare Moon. However, the vast majority of followers worship the Princess of the Night peacefully.”

“Fleetfoot, I couldn’t care less about the rest of them! I’m concerned with the group here in the city that Luna is kind of uneasy about working with.”

“You remind me of Applejack, y’know,” Dash laughed, increasing her altitude as they drew nearer to the square, her wings beating restlessly against the dry desert air.

“The farm pony?”

“Yeah. She’s pretty much totally against the Republic. No idea why, she won’t explain properly. Something to do with her dad.”

“They attacked some farms years ago. Could that be why?” Lightning asked.

“No idea, but that makes sense.” She fell silent for a moment. “Spitfire, what’s going to happen to the Wonderbolts? Like... if you’ve been disbanded, what does that mean for the cadets and the academy back in Equestria?”

“Not a damn thing, as far as I’m concerned. We’ll continue to operate as we are... somehow.” Spitfire still sounded very bitter.

“What exactly is the Order, if you don’t mind my askin’?” Rainbow Dash asked as they entered the square.

There was still a sizable crowd clustered around the gallows. The Steel Talons that had remained behind had disappeared, as had Wave Chill and his entourage. All except for the warlock. Rainbow recognized the brown cloak and white fur, even at this height and level of light, as the sun continued to fall over the horizon. There were around half a dozen soldiers beside her, perhaps receiving instructions. A dozen more were moving amongst the crowd, trying to disperse them. Rainbow remembered the curfew.

“Well, as I don’t give a crap about the Order right now, I’ve got no problems with telling you. The Order is basically a world-wide collection of military units. Like the Wonderbolts, like the Steel Talons, like the Hierophants of Dragonspire, or the Red Horizon from Equus Votum, who actually founded the Order.”

“Vote ’em, what, now?” Rainbow Dash asked, confused.

Spitfire sighed. “Fleetfoot. Lecture.”

“Lecture?” Fleetfoot repeated.

“Lecture,” Spitfire confirmed.

Dash groaned, shaking her head as Fleetfoot cleared her throat significantly. “Here we go...” she lamented.

“Equus Votum is speculated by modern scholars of the magical arts to be the birthplace, or originating source, of all magic in existence. Once a lush forest situated far away on a distant island beyond the Eastern Continent we are presently situated upon, nestled in the boundaries of the discovered and plotted world. The area surrounding Equus Votum is now called the Borderlands, a desolate wasteland.” Rainbow was dragging a hoof down her face, feeling it tug at her lips. “The first alicorn was born there thousands and thousands of years ago. In fact, it is widely believed that Princess Celestia and Princess Luna both came from Equus Votum. Celestia has refused to confirm it, citing that she ’enjoys the rush of knowledge and pursuit of education about the ancient world too much to spill the beans and not allow somepony to discover the truth for themselves’.” Fleetfoot elucidated in a rush.

“You sound like Twilight,” Dash spluttered in amazement, raising her voice to prevent Fleetfoot from continuing. “SO THE RED HORIZON ARE FROM THERE, ALRIGHT, COOL, THANKS FOR THE EXPOSITION THAT I DIDN’T ASK FOR, MOVING ON, CONTINUE, SPITFIRE. YEP!”

“So, the Order is tasked with protecting the world by utilizing the military forces from each nation. Most of them masquerade as aerobatic performers, like the ’Bolts. We keep our operations on the down-low, but a lot do know that we work with Princess Celestia. The Order, however, technically owns us. That would be why Hawkeye thinks she can just disband us because that’s what headquarters would have done. We’re gonna finish our mission here and then deal with that crap!”

“Alright, I think I get it... Moving on, did Luna mention any plan while she was talking to you, Spitfire? We’ve kinda been walking around blind since we got here,” Dash confessed, glancing down at the dividing wall between the Jewel and Crossroads Districts as they flew over it.

“Well, our time is limited, so Luna wants to mobilize the Republic against Wave Chill now,” Spitfire said. “If we had more time, we could try a more subtle approach, but the Princess thinks that a more direct course of action is needed. Basically... you and your pals are going to use your Elements. Meanwhile, the rest of us are going to fight Wave Chill and Gwyndolin’s military forces directly. It’ll be like a holiday,” Spitfire finished sarcastically.

“Well, I feel stupid now. I tried to get a group of kids in the city to join us. Y’know, spy on officials, that sort of thing, but we hardly have any time left. Well, at least we can keep them safe.”

“Children, Rainbow Dash?” Fleetfoot questioned.

“Victims from the Mesa District.”

“I see.”

“Well, then...” Spitfire said blankly. “I never stopped to think about what The Shadow’s carnage had done to the lives of the locals.”

“Same here. This’ll be over soon, I hope.” Rainbow sighed as they approached the winding path leading around the palace grounds. “Maybe we can help the kids out when all is said and done... They’re living in the sewers.”

“I just pray those Elements of yours work, although I’m looking forward to fighting some of Wave’s guards! They were none too gentle handling us today!” Spitfire growled.

“Amadeus said there’s horses in the city that can fight too. Gymkhanites against the new regime! So, with some luck, you’ll have a militia by your side!” Rainbow Dash told her, now leading them along the upper walkway through the Crossroads, beyond the winding incline.

“Luna claims that Gwyndolin is beyond powerful, so watch your step against her when the time comes. If you ask me, she’s the brains behind the duo,” Spitfire admitted. “I’d like to save all my hate for Wave Chill, but she’s dangerous.”

“Gwyndolin isn’t the only strong douchebag... Wave Chill’s powerful, too. He almost killed me before Rapidfire stepped in,” Dash mumbled uneasily. “And yet... I still think there’s some good left in him. Or, maybe he’s bewitched, or something... even though he says he’s the one in charge. At any rate, he’s got something he’s calling the Voidwalker’s own boon. He’s super strong, fast as lightning, and... kind of a dick. But, I guess ya already knew that, eh?”

“Yeah, we know he’s juiced up on something. We were captured, after all,” Lightning Streak reminded Dash.

“Why do you even give him the benefit of the doubt, Dash? You barely know him,” Fire Streak asked from the back, something like annoyance in his voice.

“He’s Soarin’s brother,” she replied simply. “I don’t wanna see Soarin suffer. If this can have a happy ending and we all go home without some lovely mental scarring, I’ll be happy as a bee in earwax,” Dash said, shrugging her shoulders before remembering that no one could see her.

“That does not make logical sense, Rainbow Dash,” Fleetfoot pointed out. “I expect you were trying to weave a simile out of ’beeswax,’ but used it incorrectly.”

“Don’t care! Anyways, let’s follow the path until it drops down to the lower level. The Amber Cottage isn’t far from there.” Rainbow decreased her altitude slightly, still pulling the Wonderbolts along behind her. “And... Lightning Streak? That thing he’s ’juiced up’ on is that ’boon’ I just mentioned. Voidwalker must be giving him powers, basically. That’s why he’s so... y’know, powerful.”

“Well... we have powerful friends, too!” Spitfire laughed. “I forgot to mention... I expect Luna will visit tonight. She mentioned getting in touch with her informant for a good, long talk. That’s the Amadeus guy, ain’t it?” Spitfire asked.

“Huh. If she shows up, that’ll be a miracle,” Dash responded in absolute dejection. “We’ve been waiting forever.”

“Have faith in the Princess, Dash. We can’t really lose with Luna,” Spitfire reassured her.

“I... guess you’re right. I mean... eh, Wave Chill can’t even get an execution right with us around, can he?” Rainbow Dash spoke, feeling slightly warmer.

“Yep. Even though you and your friends did nothing, eh?” Spitfire reminded her slyly, although Dash could practically hear the playful grin on her face.

“Whatever!” Rainbow started to smile as well, flying lower and lower until they were cruising down the stairs back to the main stretch of road leading up from the gates to the city. “Almost home! I bet ya can’t wait to get in Rapidfire’s face and tear into ’em for his ’insubordination’ back on the Herodotus, huh? Not listening to his Captain, and all!”

“I betcha she cries in his arms,” Fire Streak guffawed.

“Hardly,” Spitfire retorted with distinction. “It’ll be good to see him and Soarin again, though. Luna having a plan or not, I can’t say I wasn’t a little apprehensive back there. You know... on the gallows. I was afraid I’d never get to see Dad again.”

“Or... Soarin?” Dash prompted her, a little irked.

“Or Soarin,” Spitfire croaked in a defeated voice.

“Are you ever going to forgive him?” Dash demanded.

“Stop asking me that, Dash. Pissing me off will make it harder for you to get your wish.”

Down the road they flew, hanging left and heading down the street intersected by another at the far end, Dash’s eyes focused upon the Amber Cottage. Once they were low enough to the ground, she decreased her speed and hovered until Spitfire let go of her. Hooves clip-clopping on the hard, cobbled street, Dash trotted toward the door, pausing to look around. There was a lone patrol walking away from them. Feeling safe enough to do so, she removed her dagger, slid it across the cloaking belt, and saw her body reappear.

“Well, this was an eventful evening, eh?” she said loftily, hoof on the door handle, anxious to step inside.

“You could say that.” Spitfire reappeared and shrugged. “Think they’re back by now?”

“Let’s find out!” Dash moaned, almost bursting with happiness. She threw open the heavy wooden door.

As the bell above the entrance jingled, she stepped inside the brightly-coloured room. The ponies gathered around the main desk looked over, stopping in mid-conversation, which seemed to be about Rapidfire’s eye again. Rainbow Dash caught the words ’alchemists’ and ’impossible’ from Amadeus. Twilight had removed their disguises.

Upon seeing her enter, Soarin gave a start and hurried over. Behind him, Rainbow could see all of them present, as though anxiously awaiting her return. The Crusaders and Grape Blossom remained by the desk, Scootaloo’s wings buzzing excitedly as she fought restraint. Rainbow completely ignored Soarin’s approach as she locked eyes with her filly. She had not noticed that Pinkie Pie was the only one not there.

“Scoots!” Dash cried out, dropping low to the floor. “C’mere, I’m beat out and I want a hug!”

“That’s a stupid excuse to wanna hug me!” Scootaloo challenged, but she bounded forward as fast as her legs could carry her and jumped into the mare’s chest. Dash let out an ’Oof!’ as they collided.

“Dashie!” Soarin choked. “Thank Celestia, I was worr—” He let out a gasp, eyes widening. “Spitfire!”

“Hold your applause,” Spitfire said with a grin, stepping into the room proper, “there’s no need to completely lose it.”

“Spitfiah...” Rapidfire breathed. “At last...” The ebony pegasus moved forward and Spitfire met him halfway. “So foolish...”

“You know we had to lead them away, Rapid,” Spitfire sighed, appearing to steel herself as she studied his face, eyes locked upon the terrible gash traced along the left side of his head.

“Yes, I undastan’ dat, Spitfiah, but... bah.” He shook his head. “Dammit.”

“Hey, it wasn’t my intention to worry you, but it was pretty much an on the spot decision. What choice did we have?” She moved closer to him. He rose to his hind legs, as did Spitfire herself, and they embraced. She was still staring at his injury. “I’m sorry, Dad. You know I had to confront them. It would have been shameful not to.”

“Da risk shoulda never been on yas.” He looked to Fleetfoot, Fire Streak, and Lightning Streak, who had all entered quietly behind Spitfire and Dash. “Shoulda never been on any of yas. Let da old stallion take da risks, not da effin’ Captain. Not you, Spitfiah.”

Rainbow Dash was clutching Scootaloo tight to her chest during this exchange, feeling the filly bursting with joy to see her. Scoot must have been seriously worried about her. Everyone arriving back without ’Sis’ couldn’t have been an easy thing to digest, Dash realized. Despite this, Scootaloo seemed very calm in her absence, making Rainbow Dash inexpressibly proud of her. At least, calm is what Scootaloo whispering ’you’re so stupid, you’re stupid, stupid, stupid, so stupid, you’re stupid, stupid, stupid’ repeatedly into her ear told her, anyway. Dash grinned; Scoots was definitely her usual self tonight.

“Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry!” Dash apologized profusely, nuzzling Scootaloo’s forehead with her face. “Are you mad because I ran off and everypony came back without me?”

“Ya big, stupid, blueish-pink dummy...” Scootaloo mumbled furiously, although her ’anger’ was betrayed by her bright smile. “Yes, I’m mad at you!”

“Love you, Scoots...” Dash beamed, kissing her cheek.

“Yeah, I know,” Scootaloo spat.

“You’re officially as important a member of our team as I am, Rapidfire,” Spitfire continued after a moment, sighing deeply. “In fact, moreso now. The Order intended to shut us down if Wave Chill compromised them. I believe they’ll probably rally to make you the Captain of the next team, assuming they allow us to reform.”

Rapidfire swore. “Da Order operates in purest secrecy. Dat’s why da Talons don’t openly affiliate wid ’em... ’cause dey ain’t subtle. But when dat sonuvabitch ran ’is mouth... I expected summat like dat to happen... have we ’onestly been shut down, Spitfiah?”

“You know what? It’s not a big deal. We’ll deal with that roadblock when we get back to Cloudsdale, Rapidfire. The point is... we’re safe. The team is safe. They failed to take us out, just like last time! Hawkeye can disband us all she damn well pleases, it’s not gonna change a thing. I don’t care about that!” Spitfire narrowed her eyes and took a deep breath, glaring a hole into the carpet. “What I care about right now is killing that backstabbing psychopath.” Her eyes returned to Rapidfire’s face and she slowly raised a hoof, tracing it along his left cheek. “For what he did to your face.”

“Don’t put yaself in danga again, just because of me,” Rapidfire growled sternly.

“If I get my chance, I’m taking it, Rapidfire. Soarin’s brother or not, he’s mine! Soarin can’t lay much of a claim to his head right now.”

“Can we possibly navigate away from the blood lust, please? There are fillies present,” Rarity sighed in exasperation. “I quite understand you all want a piece of the villain of our present little story, but let’s act civilized, hm?”

“Fine. Sorry,” Spitfire spoke quickly, eyes switching between the Crusaders grouped around Grape and Rainbow Dash with Scootaloo.

“I dunno, Rarity...” Sweetie said evasively, gazing imploringly at her big sister. “I kinda wanted to know where that was going.”

“Yer crazy,” Apple Bloom mumbled matter-of-factly, rolling her eyes.

“Rainbow,” Twilight began, swiftly bringing the conversation back to a progressive ground, “did the Steel Talons mention if they found out anything we might not have known?”

“Well, like Spitfire said, they seemed more concerned with telling off the Wonderbolts more than anything.” Rainbow Dash let go of Scootaloo, ruffling the filly’s mane as she stood up. “However, the coup for control over the city has gone on for months, or something. Wave Chill joining them and ’assuming control’,” she sketched quotes in the air with each hoof, “was only recent. Mark my words, Wave’s gonna be innocent when this is all over! It’s all Gwyndolin, it’s all that stupid warlock.”

“We’d all like to believe dat,” Rapidfire said with a note of longing in his voice, “but we’ve gotta accept da fact dat he may be beyond savin’.”

Dash shrugged. “So, where do we go from here?”

“Might I suggest a course of action?”

Rainbow whipped around to face the door at the sound of the voice, her heart leaping in her chest. ’About time,’ she thought with great satisfaction.

’Moonlight Sonata’ crossed the threshold of the doorway into the main hall of the inn. Amadeus rounded the desk and sunk into a bow. Once the rest had noticed her, they bowed as well. Scootaloo’s wings buzzed excitedly. Despite never having seen Luna in this form, the true identity of the unicorn was not missed by her.

“Princess Luna!” Dash whistled, head bowed. “Finally! You’re here!”

Near the desk, Grape Blossom let out a loud gasp. “P-Princess Luna? The Princess Luna?!”

“Indeed, child. There will be no formalities,” Luna instructed the rest of them. “This is neither the time nor the place for it. We have much to discuss. However, my time is short, and we cannot do it in the open. All of you, please, straighten—”

Luna seemed to notice Scootaloo. Narrowing her eyes, she focused on Sweetie Belle next, and then Apple Bloom. Their smiles faltered somewhat. The rest of the gathered ponies did straighten up as Luna requested. Only Amadeus remained bowed, whispering what sounded like a twisted lullaby to himself. It was soft and airy, but the words were dark and menacing. Applejack let out a low growl and Dash looked over at her, seeing Apple Bloom gazing up at her sister with worry. At Luna’s glance, Applejack stopped and immediately tapped her stetson to hide her eyes, looking embarrassed. To spare the earth pony from further attention, Twilight hurried forward to remove Rainbow’s disguise.

“Amadeus?” Luna voice rang out sharply, turning from Applejack to the satyr. “Enough.”

“Yes, Your Highness. Praise the Eternal Night.” The satyr stood up straight, folding his arms over his chest. “Do you require a private location?”

“Yes, momentarily...” Luna said, turning back to the Crusaders with a very stern expression on her face. “I had forgotten that you three had come here with your relations. I realized the truth through your dreams, Scootaloo, and informed Celestia of the whereabouts of you and your friends.”

Scootaloo’s face fell and her eyes went with them, dropping to the floor. Rainbow Dash waited to see if she was going to speak, and was pleased when she did. “I’m s-sorry, Princess Luna.”

“We’re sorry, too...” Apple Bloom said quickly.

“Yeah, we are...” Sweetie emphasized earnestly.

“We didn’t think there would be any trouble and didn’t mean to... to make anypony worry! Especially not... Princess Celestia.”

“They’ve been spoken to, Luna,” Rainbow said, placing a hoof on her adoptive daughter’s shoulder. Scootaloo had been shaking a little, but managed to calm down at her touch. “They’ll be paying your sister a visit once we get home, as well.”

“Very well. As long as they are aware of the dangers, and are thus cautious, I shall linger on the subject no longer.” The three fillies bowed solemnly. “Amadeus,” Luna continued, “could you lead these ponies to your sewer connection?”

“Sewer connection?” Fluttershy asked softly, looking confused.

“Uh... am I going?” Grape spoke up, blushing somewhat when all eyes fell upon her. “Like, do you want me to go, too? Is this connection far? I don’t want to leave Appleberry, so...” Grape trailed off.

“Through the kitchen to the back room of the inn is a staircase leading into my storage cellar. There is a false wall down here. Beyond it leads to a series of passageways leading down into the sewers,” Amadeus explained. “The room just before the passageways used to be an armoury, so it is quite large.”

“An armoury and a secret connection to the sewers?” Twilight questioned, amazed. “Quite the attributes for an inn!”

“The Amber Cottage is very old,” Amadeus continued. “Years ago, when it was ran by my grandfather, it was the base for a large rebellion to overthrow the dictator of the city at the time. The room and passageways were built then, but are still safe to use.”

“If you ask me, they sound like they could be very useful to us, depending on how the rest of our time in the city plays out,” Soarin said, grinning. “Pretty handy!”

“Right, just ignore the kid...” Grape groaned, shaking her head.

Amadeus smiled at her. “As I said, it’s just below the inn, so it’s not far at all. And you are working with Twilight Sparkle and her friends, are you not? Of course you may come.”

“I wouldn’t say... workin’ with them, exactly...” Grape ran a hoof along her silvery, flowing mane.

Luna was eyeing her closely. “What is your name, child?”

“Me? Oh, uh...” She was blushing timidly, very neurotic at being addressed directly by royalty. “I’m G-Grape Blossom, Your Highness...”

Luna shifted her gaze to the pony’s flank. “Are you an author?”

“No, ma’am,” Grape said quickly, glancing down at her cutie mark briefly herself before returning her eyes to the Princess. “I used to be in study to be a reporter. You know, journalism.”

It was the first time Rainbow Dash had actually noticed the cutie mark herself. Grape Blossom’s mark was that of a scroll with a quill resting upon it. Grape must have realized her destiny at a pretty young age, to already be in study for her future career early enough for her pregnancy to set up a roadblock.

“Used to be?” Luna questioned further, peering at her intently.

“Why is Luna being... rude?” Scootaloo whispered confidentially to Rainbow Dash. “That’s not like her. Luna’s really nice... she never even yelled at us!”

“She’s gotta make sure she can trust her,” Dash whispered back. “She hasn’t met Grape yet, remember?”

“Yes, Princess,” Grape answered, sounding slightly more confident as her nerves appeared to fade over time. “I had a foal.”

Luna’s eyes widened somewhat. Not enough to be immediately noticeable, but as Dash had taken that moment to study the Princess’ face, she spotted it at once.

“I have a son, Appleberry,” Grape went on, blushing again. “He’s sleeping in one of the rooms through that door.” She pointed to the door on the left.

“I see,” Luna said, not unkindly. “I will not question you further, Grape Blossom. You may listen in; I trust you. However, if you’d rather remain with your child, I will not force you.”

“If it’s not long, since you said your time is short, I’ll tag,” Grape consented. “Me and my friends are survivors from the Mesa District, so it would be cool if one of us knew what the heck was going on in this city.”

“You saw The Shadow?” Fire Streak enquired quickly, breaking off a whispered conversation he was having with his brother. “That thing was freakin’ terrifying.

Grape didn’t respond. It didn’t take a genius to realize she wasn’t keen on talking about it further, Rainbow Dash thought. Luna, meanwhile, nodded to the satyr for him to lead the group to the old armoury. Amadeus approached the kitchen door and opened it, beckoning them all onward. Rainbow saw Luna pause to look with concern at Rapidfire’s injury as he moved toward the door himself, following Spitfire. The rest of the Wonderbolts followed behind him, all except for Soarin.

“I guess you and your friends get to hear important information, trainee!” Soarin smiled down at Scootaloo, who was watching Luna move into the kitchen of the inn.

“Yeah...” Scootaloo moaned uncertainly, glancing up at Dash. “You don’t mind me being there, do you, Sis?”

“Yeah, I kinda mind!” Dash said with a huff. “But it’s not like it’s gonna be easy to stop any of ya from finding out, so I’m tappin’ out.” She fell into step behind Applejack and Rarity as the rest of their party moved into the kitchen. “Speaking of important info... where’s Pinkie Pie? It’s quiet as the grave in here.”

“She went back to the Hideout, Rainbow Dash,” Grape told her, walking behind her, pausing to gaze enraptured at Luna as she stood aside from everyone to go first.

“Aaah... well, hopefully she has some luck in persuading Dameer and the rest of ’em to get their butts out of the freakin’ garbage. I kinda miss Neighshyte, he was just so darn polite. You woulda liked him, Scoots; he’s really hyper, just like you! He’s a horse, too, so that’s cool. Heeey... bet he’d make a nice boyfriend!”

“Eeewww!” Scootaloo gagged. “I don’t want a boyfriend!”

Colts are disgusting,” Sweetie Belle said from ahead of them, tossing her mane much like her sister, giving it a gentle pat.

“I know, right?” Scoot agreed, rolling her eyes.

The Amber Cottage’s kitchen was quite spacious for such a small building. Two long, wooden-topped islands occupied the centre of the room, with pots and pans hanging from hooks from the ceiling. Each had a different stove built into it, with a sink installed at the front of the one on the left. As Amadeus did all the cooking for inn guests, it was clear from a glance that it was a one-man job. Some unwashed dishes were in a far basin, piled up dangerously high. One side of the kitchen contained carts for wheeling meals to the different rooms, while the other had an array of shelves containing jars of spices, cans of food, and bags of flour. The far right corner had a single door, which they were all moving towards.

“What did you think of Hawkeye, Dashie?” Soarin asked unexpectedly. “I only met her once or twice when she was inspecting the academy for the Order.”

“Why do you even care, Soar? She freakin’ disbanded you guys!” Dash asked in surprise.

“Spitfire wants to operate like normal, so that’s how I’m treating it,” he answered with a grin.

Dash sighed. “For somepony... well, somegriffin, who is so big on keeping their affiliation with anything besides their own work a secret, Hawkeye sure likes sticking her beak into the other groups’ business,” Dash said eventually.

“The Steel Talons were always high up in the whole thing. They’re just, you know, incognito most of the time, since they’re such a well-known mercenary group. It’s easy to disguise their true intentions,” Soarin explained casually.

“I thought Griffon Peaks allied itself with Saddle Arabia? Their scene at the execution was hardly incognito, bro,” Dash pointed out, shrugging. “Hawkeye confronted Wave Chill and Gwyndolin directly.”

“The Talons aren’t affiliated with Griffon Peaks’ ruling body. Remember, they’re mercenaries by nature, a flight team by hobby, but they’re secretly with the Order,” Soarin went on as the pair of them passed through the far door.

The next room was very small, practically just built for the staircase that lead down into Amadeus’ storage cellar. Descending quickly, all ponies gathered around the satyr as he unlocked the door to the cellar. With a click, the door swung open, and he stood back.

“I should return upstairs. There are still two occupants in the inn besides all of you, but I’m sure tonight is their last night, so I’ll shut the inn down officially once they leave,” Amadeus said to Luna. “The false wall is in the middle of the far wall. It can be pushed in and slid sideways.”

“Thank you. We will be able to speak freely down here, for now. Once the Amber Cottage is empty, it will be a perfect spot for our forces to gather,” Luna noted, giving Amadeus a nod as he left them.

They proceeded into the cellar, which was much colder than the rest of the inn, even considering the lateness of the day. There were sacks and crates everywhere, the smell of vegetables filling Rainbow’s nostrils. Luna’s horn illuminated their path, as there were no sources of light down there. Upon reaching the far end of the room, Rapidfire placed both hooves against the wall. With a grunt, he pushed it forward a few inches. Dragging his hooves right and then left, he found out which direction to move it in. Very slowly, it slid to the left, revealing a metal track on the floor, to hold it in place.

“Cutie Mark Crusaders: Secret Base Infiltrators?” Apple Bloom suggested in a low voice to the others.

“But the secret base is empty!” Sweetie Belle pointed out, squinting through the darkness.

“Sounds lame, anyways!” Scootaloo coughed.

Beyond the wall, the floor sloped downward some twenty feet or so in a very narrow hallway until reaching the entrance to what was once the armoury. It was a large room, although the ceiling was low. Luna’s horn glowed brightly as she peered around, stepping aside to allow the group to file in past her.

The Crusaders remained close to their sisters in this new, unknown location. The light of Luna’s horn slowly panned across the room, revealing strange objects, not unlike the tower the Steel Talons had been using as a roost. Rusty weapon racks along one wall and more crates stacked by another. Rainbow Dash was starting to get tired of seeing crates.

“Princess, shine ya horn on da floor, ’ere...” Rapidfire requested, dropping low to the stone ground.

Luna did as he requested and Rainbow squinted at the patch illuminated by the light. It was an alchemy symbol, identical to the transporters leading to and from the Station. Rapidfire hesitated before sliding his hoof across it. Nothing happened.

“Try this, Rapidfire,” Spitfire suggested, holding out the silver dagger.

Rapidfire took it from her and tapped the tip against the symbol. A bright red glow emanated from it for a brief moment. Within seconds, the glow broke free of the runic circle and spread in lines across the floor, travelling to the four corners of the room. Each one spiralled up a metal staff set in indentations on the floor, coming to rest within a spun glass orb sitting on top. Each orb began to glow red, flooding the room with light. Strangely enough, the light seemed identical to sunlight; it was not red.

’I’m... not even going to ask anypony to explain how this stuff works,’ Rainbow decided, frowning.

Luna approached the centre of the room and let out a short breath, turning on the spot to smile at her companions. “It is time to throw off this disguise. I will need to keep my powers in check, however. I have chosen this weaker form to make such precautions easier to maintain. However, my true body will be required for me to help you all right now.”

In an instant, a small burst of magic exploded from her horn, spreading over her body like a bubble. Her figure became pearly white as a powerful brightness covered her. Upon fading, her fur had changed to its usual darker blue, her mane and tail had extended, shimmering with magic and flowing. With a grunt, she allowed two wings to burst from her sides and extend.

“That... looked painful,” Twilight gulped.

Grape’s jaw was hanging low, her eyes bulging. “W-what?! She transformed!”

“Yep!” Rainbow said, nodding. “She’s got a third body, too, and it’s awesome.”

“Nightmare Moon is hardly ’awesome,’ Dash...” Applejack mumbled delicately.

“Whatever,” Rainbow shrugged, approaching the Princess. “If Luna keeps her mind when she’s in her Nightmare Moon body, I bet you she’s a lot stronger... probably strong enough to beat Gwyndolin’s magic!”

“I would not be so sure, Rainbow Dash,” Luna said, looking seriously at her. “I have not yet witnessed the fullest extent of that warlock’s powers.”

“Well, I just... uh. Huh. Honestly, I wasn’t expecting that. But, uh, just in case things do go wrong...” Dash steeled herself, trying to clear her head of the various potential outcomes to their mission if Luna’s magic was no match for Gwyndolin’s. “Listen... Princess Luna... I never got a chance to properly thank you for sending me after Scootaloo that night. You, I mean... you put EVERYTHING in motion! I’m just...”

“I understand, Rainbow Dash, and please, do not worry about the future. We must focus on the present,” Luna said, attempting to reassure her. She looked over at Scootaloo and winked. “To me, though, I merely helped along events that seemed destined to already happen.” Her voice was gentle.

“Just... thanks! So, now that that’s out of the way, can you send the girls back to Canterlot soon?” She had a sudden inspiration as she twisted her head towards Grape Blossom, who was standing next to Rarity. “And... you should send—”

“I’m... sorry. I cannot.”

“Grape... to... wait, what? What do you mean, Luna?” Dash asked, her jaw dropping.

“The warlock has suspected my power within this city for some time. Gwyndolin’s been able to slowly and methodically zero in on me, so to speak. She’s getting better at it. I have not yet been detected in my attempts to infiltrate their new regime and gain their trust, but she is aware that a great power beyond herself is within Gymkhana. Unfortunately, she had taken steps against me,” Luna said, bowing her head sadly. “If I use powerful spells, I’m certain she would detect me; she has become obsessed with finding ’the rogue sorceress.’ That is why I must remain in my weakest form for as long as possible. It prevents me from casting spells equal to an alicorn’s power.”

“I... uh... alright,” Dash spoke slowly, doing her best to understand what Luna was saying, although her temper was slowly starting to rise. “And this affects your warping spell? Isn’t it worth the risk?!”

“Beyond the necessity of keeping my powers in check, there is another problem. The warlock has used a sort of spell that has created an invisible barrier around this city that is preventing me from leaving this place by magical means. I cannot access my lunar sanctuary, nor can I bring anypony with me,” Luna finished to total silence. “Unlike normal barrier spells, it is not weakening over time. It’s being enchanted by something, strengthened through unknown means. Even if I could freely use my magic, I have no spells to disable something so powerful.”

“But...” Rainbow said eventually, eyes snapping to Scootaloo, “the t-time limit... the V-Voidwalker!”

“I am doing my best to locate the source of the protective barrier’s uncharacteristically potent peculiarities, but... for the time being, I am limited to speaking with my sister using telepathy. That is the extent of my influence on anything outside of these city walls. I am sorry. If fate should conspire to make the Voidwalker’s summoning unavoidable, then I will do everything, everything in my power to ensure their safety. Even if it means my life. You have my word.” She looked to Applejack and Rarity. “All of you.”

“So we’re supposed to just sit here and wait with the kids while the whole city goes down?” Rainbow demanded furiously, feeling her left eye twitching.

“Calm down, Rainbow... please,” Twilight begged her, placing a comforting hoof on her shoulder. “We’ve been dealt a poor hand with this, I understand, but exploding at Princess Luna isn’t going to help anypony!”

“Yeah. The hand sucks!” Dash sighed, shaking her head and placing a hoof to her eyes. “Princess, I’m... sorry. I’ve had a bit of a long day.”

“Whoa, that there’s quite the understatement,” Applejack whistled.

“Wave Chill fought you, didn’t he, Rainbow Dash?” Luna asked quietly.

“Yep,” Dash confirmed, jerking her head over at Rapidfire. “That’s when Gramps over there got slashed.”

Rapidfire smirked. “I keep tellin’ ya, it’s nothin’. He hurt my pride. Dat’s it.”

“You were both very fortunate to get away from him. He’s got frightening powers right now,” Luna sighed, shaking her head.

“Is dat boon he says he got from Da Shadow real, Luna? Is dat where ’is strength comes from?”

Luna bowed her flowing mane, furrowing her eyes. “Indeed. This part of the conversation makes for an adequate transition to the subject of our adversaries. I should warn you, Spitfire,” Luna continued, turning her head towards the fiery-maned mare, “that Wave Chill wants to personally see to your end.”

“He’ll have a hard time pulling it off,” Spitfire spat, eyes narrowed.

Applejack leaned against the wall, an arm draped around Apple Bloom. “Well then, Princess, what are we gonna be facin’ here?”

Luna walked back and forth for a few moments. Eventually her pacing lead her to the middle of the room and she laid on the ground. Lowering her horn, she tapped it against the cold stone and runic symbols, much like the ones when she had shown them all the holographic Wave Chill back in Canterlot, formed there. Moments later, a miniature Crystal Empire materialized within it, translucent and shimmering. Luna got to her hooves again, giving her wings a brief, restless flap.

“Over a millennium ago, there existed many, many great evils in our young world. Discord had been banished to his prison of stone through the Elements of Harmony, but other sources threatened to spread enmity throughout the land. I, myself, was losing the fight against the darkness of my heart.”

Rainbow Dash had a vivid mental image of Luna’s third form, the menacing figure of Nightmare Moon, as she had seen her during the brief period of extensive night a few years back. As though it had read Rainbow’s mind, Luna’s magic had caused a glowing figure of Nightmare Moon to stalk the countryside beyond the empire for a moment before vanishing. During this time, Scootaloo had made her way over to Rainbow’s side and sat on the floor, eyes fixed on the Empire. Dropping to the floor herself, she took one of Scoot’s hooves in her own. Out of the corner of her eye, Dash could see Grape leaning low, gazing enraptured at the display.

“If only Fenuku could see this...” she mumbled softly, causing another image to surface in Dash’s mind, this time of the blue eyed anubis preteen she had met that morning. “He loooves history.”

“Before Princess Mi Amore Cadenza brought the crystal ponies their salvation, the ascension of the unicorn, King Sombra, had ended a long line of benevolent leaders. The darkness of his heart and his cruel, evil intentions for the dominance and torture of his kinsmen attracted a terrible force to the kingdom.”

The bright diorama of the crystal empire suddenly became enclosed in a swirling cloud of darkness. Though it made her feel like a coward, Dash averted her eyes. She knew that if they failed, she was bound to see those swirling masses of blackness regardless. Near the entrance to the room, Rapidfire swore softly.

“That’s it, Dashie...” Soarin shuddered, leaning low. “That’s The Shadow. That’s what attacked Mesa, and us.”

“The way it moves... that’s pretty... scary,” Scootaloo whimpered in a small voice.

“I don’t like it either...” Rainbow whispered softly, giving the hoof she was clutching tightly a small squeeze. “You’re so brave right now, Scoots... I can’t even look at it!”

“Yeah, brave... sure...” She didn’t sound very convinced.

“This terrible shadow... they called it the Voidwalker, even in ancient times. It is rumoured to be... a demon,” Luna spoke in a voice barely above a whisper.

“A DEMON?” Fluttershy screamed, causing everyone to jump and her voice to crack. “Like... f-from... f-from... the beyond?

“That... that is what the legends say. It was attracted to the darkness of that wretched unicorn, Sombra, as it is precisely the force that feeds and fortifies its power.” Luna paused briefly. There was a flash of light, and a model of Sombra appeared. “It is the negative emotions within a being’s heart that strengthens the Voidwalker. It feeds on it, much like how the changelings feed upon love. It will feed until the victim has been driven mad by their hatred and anger.”

“King Sombra enslaved the crystal ponies and made their daily lives an eternal struggle...” Twilight spoke softly, eyes unblinkingly fixed on Sombra, who was engulfed by the shadows.

“Correct, Twilight Sparkle,” Luna continued as the figure was consumed, emerging from the dark, swirling clouds of shadow with his eyes glowing that terrible lavender. “His cruelty fed the Voidwalker, who I believe gave him his boon, in turn.”

“That’s what Wave Chill believes,” Rainbow added, leaning closer to study the shadow figure’s face.

“Luckily for the world, with the boon in place, the Voidwalker’s own essence was diminished. Our research shows that it cannot give its boon of power to more than one soul at a time, nor can it possess somepony or interact with the world physically while it’s active. When Celestia and I banished Sombra to the frozen North, he put a curse on the Crystal Empire, not only binding his soul to it, but causing it to vanish into thin air. Without access to Sombra in the physical world, the Voidwalker was practically powerless. It could not touch anything in this dimension. Instead, it spread its touch through nightmares and madness!”

“So, when the crystal ponies reappeared...” Applejack hissed, rubbing her forehead, “the Voidwalker got its freedom?”

“Yes. It could extract its boon at any time and become a physical manifestation once again. However, its patience has proven to be very great, as this demon allowed Sombra’s power to continue to grow. When the curse he cast had worn off and his banishment became complete, he appeared in the frozen North, this time with the Crystal Empire in tow. When the Crystal Heart, powered by the willpower of the crystal ponies and spearheaded by Cadance’s endless love, destroyed Sombra’s corrupting crystals and annihilated his body... the Voidwalker’s boon was released, allowing that foul creature to regain full strength. It is what we face now, only a new pony has the boon: Wave Chill.”

The glowing figure of Sombra vanished to be replaced with Wave Chill, his eyes glowing with the same corruption, the very same sign of dark magic that Sombra wielded against the crystal ponies. Twilight was studying it closely, shivering. Rainbow could see Wave Chill’s spectral face reflected in her violet eyes.

“Gosh, I remember using dark magic to access Sombra’s version of the Crystal Palace, but... I feel disgusted now. I never entirely fathomed the evils of it...” She shivered again. “I know it was a necessity, Princess, but I... I sunk to their level!”

“Using the dark arts out of, as you say, necessity, is a very different thing than embracing them. Twilight Sparkle, you are not the same as the Voidwalker or King Sombra. Never believe that you are,” Luna said delicately.

“Excuse me, if I, um, may...” Fluttershy asked, desiring to speak once more.

“Of course, Fluttershy,” Luna said, acknowledging her with a kind nod.

“We know that the Elements of Harmony can attack the darkness in somepony’s heart and that they... destroy e-evil. The Voidwalker sounds t-terrifying to actually face, but... we can beat it with the Elements, right? The Voidwalker is a d-demon, so that must mean it’s filled with e-evil...”

“That’s what I believe, as well,” Luna agreed. “I’m certain that the Voidwalker will get the same treatment as the darkness that once fuelled my rage as Nightmare Moon: eradication!”

“It’ll be sent straigh’ back to Hell!” Rapidfire said with a menacing growl, smiling in a satisfied manner. “What a fate.”

“So, how do we know all of this, Princess? How do we know how The Shadow operates? Him?” Spitfire asked sharply, jerking her head at the figure of her former teammate.

“Partly. Wave Chill unwittingly provided certain details on the Voidwalker. The rest, Celestia and I have discerned together. You see, she believes the Voidwalker may have been an influence upon one of her former students. Infesting her nightmares like a plague, corrupting her through her own thirst for power and forbidden magics.”

“A former student?” Twilight enquired, tearing away from the figure of Wave Chill and quirking an eyebrow at the Princess.

“Indeed. This girl learned all she could about the Voidwalker before she fled Equestria to serve her own selfish needs. She transcribed all of her findings into a journal. Unfortunately, she imbibed it with several magical seals. The words have to be... unscrambled or translated, so to speak. It is not yet in a form or language we recognize. Celestia is working it out, little by little.”

“Forgive me, Luna, but why is it necessary to learn its history with Sombra?” Applejack asked politely, bowing.

“I think it’s not only fascinating, but important to know where our enemies come from!” Twilight cheered brightly, throwing a hoof into the air. “The more we know about an opponent, the more likely we are at finding their weakness! We may find out Wave Chill’s if we can truly understand how the Voidwalker may be corrupting him, if it is.”

“I already know Wave Chill’s weakness,” Spitfire said darkly, staring down at the silver dagger Hawkeye had given her. “The throat.”

“Moving on,” Rarity spoke hastily, nervously glancing at Sweetie Belle, who was staring at the knife, “you said you have a course of action to suggest? What will be our actual plan, going forward, my dear Princess Luna?”

“Very well, Rarity. With the Voidwalker’s return dawning on us, it is essential to prepare ourselves for a battle against the forces of Azure Wings and Gwyndolin. I wish to gather the New Lunar Republic from Corral Bay so they can join forces with their members in the city, as well as our sympathizers. We must avoid bloodshed, but not to be prepared would be foolish. As for Wave Chill and the Voidwalker... we must use what has been proven before as an effective weapon against the darkness...”

A smile slowly crept across Rainbow’s face. She knew exactly where Luna was going with this. She gave Scootaloo’s hoof another squeeze, punched Soarin in the shoulder, and winked at him. Stepping away from both of them, Rainbow Dash rose to her hind legs, puffing out her chest.

“... the combined power of the Elements of Harmony,” Luna finished, her eyes becoming opaque as her horn glowed a golden colour.

“Yes, yes, yeees... Dash hissed, beaming.

Flash. Flash. Flash. Flash. Flash. Flash. With six bright flashes, each one fading before the next, five necklaces and one tall tiara appeared. As promised, Luna had brought their Elements safely with her. The other bearers of the Elements rose to their back legs, much like Rainbow Dash. One by one, their respective Elements flew forward, one each to Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Applejack, Rarity, and the tiara to Twilight.

“AAAWWW YEAH!” Rainbow cheered as she watched the crimson lightning bolt fly through the air toward her. A warmth spread through her body as the golden amulet extended around her neck, placing the stone bolt over her chest.

“Wow...” Grape said meekly, staring at Dash and her friends. “I can... feel them.”

“Sis, you look so coooool,” Scootaloo whispered in a hollow rush, mouth agape.

“That’s... ha! That’s nothin’!” Dash laughed. “Watch this, it’s a trick I learned last time...”

Closing her eyes, Rainbow began to focus her mind. She cleared it of all her worry, all unpleasant and uneasy thoughts, desperate to put herself in a mindset beyond the current reality facing them as the time limit ticked nearer. This was essential. Her thoughts drifted to her friends, the greatest source of her strength. Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle; her five best friends. She could remember first meeting Applejack when she and her oldest friend, Fluttershy, went on that field trip to Sweet Apple Acres to study the Zap Apple Harvest, the only time she had ever seen Applejack’s parents. This brief, ill-tempered encounter during Rainbow’s troubled foalhood was laughed about years later, once they had become friends. Applejack... the most sincere pony she had ever met. Hardworking and honest, she was the pony Dash was the closest to, their friendship a gift she would give her life for twenty times over.

Her body was trembling. Her back was straight; vertical. Chin pointing to the heavens, Rainbow Dash drew in great gulps of breath through her nostrils. Both hooves were curling inward, balling into fists, more and more tremors rippling through her. She opened her eyes again slowly, vision razor-sharp, although she knew that it wouldn’t appear that way to an outsider. Her eyes were pulsating; glowing opaque. Two brilliantly scarlet orbs. Soarin was gawking at her in amazement, eyes quivering.

Inside her mind, her retrospection of her friends was moving through each one, now landing on Pinkie Pie. Their friendship came shortly after she moved to Ponyville. What a wonderful girl she was. Heck, they all were. No matter how upset she was, a visit to Sugarcube Corner could always brighten up her day and bring a smile to her face, a laugh to her throat. Twilight eventually arrived and they were finally complete. Six girls, six best friends, together always, no matter what hardships the world threw at them, their destinies long intertwined, even before most of them had met. Twilight’s leadership, counselling, and her inability to give up on what was most important to her, their friendship, is what Rainbow admired in the unicorn the most.

Rainbow would do anything for them. How often had her friends helped her in the past? Their bond together was so strong, so truly honest. The Element on her chest was vibrating. The truest nature of Rainbow Dash, her authenticity and love, her desire to help them, no matter what. It was her loyalty to the ponies she wanted to grow old with that was powering the stone on her chest. It was exploding in her heart.

Her hooves left the ground, though her wings were still. The Element of Loyalty itself was vibrating, fit to burst. She was floating, a strange and warming energy coursing through her body, filling her with determination.

“This is so legit,” she breathed, beaming. “If Pinkie Pie was here, they’d start reacting, all of them. Heck, they might anyways if I tried hard enough! Cool, huh? Let’s just grab Pinkie, haul ass to the palace, AND END THIS, RIGHT NOW!

“Rainbow...” Twilight sighed. “The timeless, of unknown origin, unlimited power sourced, ancient relics of the purest harmony of existence are not toys!”

“Hehehe... sorry,” Dash giggled humbly. She relaxed her mind and body, the Element’s reaction dying down. With a clatter, her hooves hit the floor.

“Besides, we can’t just tear off to the palace without planning, sister,” Rarity said, tossing her mane. “We must do this properly.”

“Killjoys!” Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Fine, fine, ya all win. Y’all.” She winked at Applejack, who slapped a hoof to her own face. The Element’s power had blossomed Rainbow Dash’s mood to new vistas.

“How do ya plan to call forth da Republic from Corral Bay?” Rapidfire asked, his scowl explaining all too plainly that he wanted things to start moving again.

“I must use a messenger, as I cannot leave this city by magic anymore and an extended absence on my part will not go unnoticed by our enemies. Unfortunately... Bottle Rocket and his accomplice have fled the city after he was nearly discovered as an infiltrator, so an easy means of travel across the desert is no longer available to us,” Luna detailed, shaking her head in dismay.

“I will go,” Fleetfoot spoke up. At once Spitfire looked over at her, concern etched on her face. “Using one of Hawkeye’s cloaking devices, I can slip surreptitiously out of Gymkhana and take flight west. Even if by some unlucky chance I am pursued, the odds that one of our pegasus adversaries could apprehend me is astronomically miniscule.”

“But... you were captured,” Fluttershy pointed out, face falling.

“Fleetfoot was only caught because she slowed herself down so she could stay with the rest of us during Wave Chill’s little chase,” Lightning Streak said with a shrug. “I doubt even Wave Chill with his new powers could catch her once she really gets going.”

Luna looked at the white haired pegasus carefully. “Alright. Fleetfoot, within the lowest district of Corral Bay is a shop dedicated to selling shells and other trinkets from the ocean to tourists. Enquire about ’Moon Stones’ to the proprietor and he will tell you everything you need to know. With luck, you can be back by tomorrow evening with the eighty members in tow.”

Eighty?!” Applejack gasped, shaking her head. “That’s a mighty big number of those... those... erm, members. Mighty big for a small village.”

“The New Lunar Republic’s operations in Corral Bay are underground, you see,” Luna explained. “Literally. There’s a large group of ponies hiding beneath the earth who sing praise to Nightmare Moon. They have proven to be loyal to me, no matter what my form, Applejack. You can trust them.” Applejack nodded softly, still looking uneasy. “Fleetfoot, please get some rest and food and set out as soon as you feel you’ll have the strength to make it across the sands.”

“I need only some food and I will leave immediately,” Fleetfoot said confidently.

“Fleet...” Spitfire spoke up, sighing heavily. “Please... be careful. Sleep first, or something. We can’t lose you.”

“I will be fine, Spitfire, I promise,” Fleetfoot assured her, flexing her wings. “It has been a great many years since I had an excellent opportunity to legitimately challenge my expertise with flight. I shall cross the desert in minutes.”

“Be careful, Fleetfoot!” Rainbow cheered, trotting over to her. “I want a race with you sometime and I can’t rub my victory in your face if you bite it.”

“You’ll never be rewarded the pleasure regardless, Rainbow Dash.” Fleetfoot grinned. “Good luck, friends!”

She turned and ran from the room. Spitfire watched her go, her concern still evident.

“Princess...” Rapidfire began, approaching her. “Do ya know what da Voidwalka is afta? I mean... why Equestria? Why da ’Bolts?”

“I do not know all of its intentions, nor do I believe Wave Chill or Gwyndolin do, but... the Wonderbolts are being marked for elimination, both to weaken Equestria’s military power and lower the morale of the population in order for this demon to feed on their negative emotions. Once it is powerful enough... it will go after Canterlot.”

“Why’s it interested in Canterlot, then?” Spitfire asked, eyebrow raised.

Luna took a few moments before she answered.

“It wants the soul of a naturally-birthed alicorn.”


Shouting. Screaming. Debris floating freely through the air. Again, she was falling through that strange, tall area. The broken walkway above her, chaos all around her, Rainbow Dash could not escape due to her broken wing.

Again, as expected, Wave Chill’s face zoomed by as she fell. The unknown unicorn beside him bore Gwyndolin’s appearance. Cascading down, down, almost into nothingness as the dark basement far below the throne room approached. Just like before. She knew how this would all play out. Dreaming! She was obviously dreaming! How could she wake herself up?

Falling. Falling. With her stomach in her throat, it was hard to clear her head. The impact from the ground knocked the air from her lungs and she rolled over, gasping for breath.

THE DARKNESS WILL CONSUME YOU, RAINBOW DASH. YOU DID NOT HEED ME. DEATH AND PAIN SHALL BE YOUR REWARD. THE VOIDWALKER MAKES THIS VOW.

Well, this felt different.

“Show yourself!” Rainbow screamed, eyes screwed up against both the darkness and the pain in her wing joint.

THE HOUR OF TWILIT VOID APPROACHES.” It was the Voidwalker. It had to be. Is this horrifying thing stalking her in her dreams, now? “AN ENDLESS, SWIRLING CURTAIN OF TERROR WILL ECLIPSE THE WORLD AND ALL WILL DROWN IN DESPAIR. SOULS OF THE FALLEN WILL FILL MY BREAST AND ALL IS DARKNESS.

“LIKE HELL!” she bellowed back furiously, desperate to get to her hooves. “WHAT ARE YOU?”

ALL WILL DROWN.

”NO! YOURE LYING! YOURE FULL OF IT! Scootaloo...” Dash whipped around, looking all over for the small figure she knew was down here.

THEY WILL DIE. ALL YOU LOVE IS DEATH AND DECAY.

“Leave me alone, you psychotic monster! Scootaloo! SCOOTS!” she screamed so loud that her throat hurt.

IT IS OVER. FOREVER.

“No... argh!” Rainbow struggled against the forces holding her back, but it was fruitless. “Let me... go... I’ve gotta s-save her...”

She opened her eyes. It was dark. This did not surprise her. Of course it was dark! There was no light at the bottom of this pit. She knew this dream well. Sure, the Voidwalker was new, but if she crawled across the floor, she’d find her...

Something was weird. Something wasn’t right. She tried to move and felt the graciously warm fetlocks across her chest, contrasting with the cold Element. As realization broke over her, she exhaled. Rainbow Dash was safe in bed. She was with Soarin, not facing Wave Chill and Gwyndolin. That meant that Scootaloo was safe in bed too. Dash sighed, whacking a hoof against her forehead.

’Well done, Rainbow Dash. You’re falling apart again,’ she thought ruefully. ’You used to pretty much bleed arrogance and swagger, and it was freaking awesome. Now a silly nightmare has your effin’ eyes wet...’ It was the third time she had this dream. It introduced her to Gwyndolin before she even met the mare. Were they truly prophetic? A cold feeling of dread filled her tummy. What did that mean for Scoot? More importantly, ’Why the hell am I having these?!

Quietly, slowly, and very carefully, she slipped out of Soarin’s embrace, his hooves getting caught on the Element of Loyalty. Once her torso was out from under his hooves, she sat down on the edge of the bed, burying her face in her own. Rainbow wanted to go home. Just to be in her own bed right now would be a gift straight out of the brightest light, but she would not abandon those who needed her. Twisting around, she looked upon his face, illuminated by a solitary candle on the bedside table. There was nothing stopping her from sliding back under his touch and cuddling deeply into his chest. The smell of his fur, the warmth of his body, his soft, gentle breathing... The prospect was so, so comforting. But, no. If she didn’t go see her filly, she’d go crazy. Rainbow had to be sure.

Giving her wings a powerful flap, she lifted off the bed and hovered above him, wings humming softly. Leaning over Soarin’s face, she placed a slow, deliberate kiss on his lips. Though fast asleep, he responded in kind, lips puffed out and searching for her as she pulled away.

“I’ll be back...” she whispered softly, stroking a hoof gently across his face.

Fluttering over to the door, Rainbow Dash dropped to the floor and twisted open the door. The silence of the night pressed on her eardrums like a veil. It was so quiet, not a sound from the city penetrated the peace of the inn. Strolling down the hallway, she made for the door to the lobby. It was only as she moved that she realized that the hallway itself was unfamiliar. This had to be the hallway opposite the rooms they had been in previously, she thought. Amadeus said the other inn guests were leaving, so the Wonderbolts must’ve claimed this side.

Confused thoughts were pounding at her mind as she attempted to piece together the rapidly fading events of the dream, attempting to separate them from her memories of the evening which was surely only hours ago, judging by the stillness of the air.

Princess Luna had left shortly after Fleetfoot did. Was Luna in her dream? Rainbow Dash didn’t think so. That definitely happened, she told herself. They were all a little disappointed in the lack of a concrete plan. So much was riding on reinforcements from the New Lunar Republic. Why couldn’t they just take these Elements and storm the palace? It can’t be that heavily guarded. Rainbow idly touched the Element affixed to her chest. If there was nothing stronger than these ’ancient relics,’ then what was stopping them?

“Wait, waaait...” Rainbow mumbled, stopping dead in her tracks. “We did storm the palace! But... OH! That was the dream! That’s how ya got there, Rainbow Dash... I think...” Shrugging, Rainbow moved to the door into the lobby and proceeded through it.

As she expected, it was empty. Fixing her gaze on the opposite door, she narrowed them through the gloom. Trying to remember precisely which of the four rooms beyond she and Scoot had slept in the night they arrived, she crossed the carpet quickly and placed a hoof on the door handle. Scootaloo was probably mad at her. What if Scoots wanted Dash to fall asleep with her? She could remember talking to Soarin, but things must’ve got a little heated for her to end up wrapped so tightly in his embrace. Rainbow Dash shook her head; it was all still such a mess.

Soarin had been upset. Leaning against the wall beside the door, she shut her eyes and tried to remember. Soarin was so pained by everything Wave Chill had done to them that he was struggling to hide it. So, she went to talk with him, curled up together, giving him sweet assurances, but it was still so difficult to remember. Had she been drinking again, or maybe the fogginess of her brain was due to the Voidwalker’s intrusion? A trickle of horror went down her spine. Was it really the Voidwalker in her dream, or was it just her own mind’s invention?

She breathed on her hoof and sniffed it. With no traces of alcohol to be smelled, Dash confirmed that she definitely hadn’t been drinking. She could taste something familiar, however. The heat rose in her face once she realized that it was the bland taste of Soarin’s tongue.

“Celestia...” she mumbled to herself. They must’ve been making out pretty savagely for the taste to linger this song. Shrugging, she opened the door and proceeded down the familiar hallway.

Looking inside the first door, her eyes fell upon Twilight Sparkle in one bed and Fluttershy sleeping in the other. Wrong door, she told herself. Turning around, she closed the door quietly and proceeded across the hallway to the left side to try that first room. Within, there was an unmade bed and and an empty cot. Thinking that Amadeus had dug that dusty old crib out from who-knows-where for Grape’s use, she grew concerned. Where were Grape Blossom and Appleberry? It was the middle of the night, after all.

She moved on to the next room. Empty. Crossing the hallway once again, she paused outside of the second door on the right side, twisted the handle, and peered inside. There was Rarity, curled up with Sweetie Belle in her arms, a sweet smile on her face as she slept. Raising her head, Rainbow saw Applejack and Apple Bloom sleeping in the furthest bed. Dread filling her stomach, her eyes locked on to the final bed, with Scootaloo sleeping all alone. How could she do that to her?

“Scoots... I’m so sorry...” Dash fluttered into the room, not wanting to walk and risk squeaking a floorboard. “Dashie fell asleep because she’s a flippin’ idiot,” she whispered softly, kissing the filly on the cheek. “I didn’t mean to abandon ya like that... I’m sorry, Scoots...”

Placing a hoof against Scootaloo’s chest, she tried to wordlessly let the sleeping filly know that she was there with her. Scootaloo gave a little mumble, wiping an eye and scowling somewhat, causing Dash to giggle. She’d never stop being adorable in her eyes. Scootaloo draped a hoof over her’s and slept on, a trickle of spit at the corner of her mouth.

“Oh, Scoots... there’s just no contest between you and Soarin! I’ll be back in a bit, baby, and I’ll cuddle up with ya until the morning. Dashie promises... aaand you’re sleeping, so you probably can’t even hear me...”

“But you won’t shut up...” Scoot mumbled softly. “Seriously, if you just... I ’unno, crazy head.”

“Uh... doesn’t matter. Mom’ll be right back. Gotta find out where Grape snuck off to.”

Smiling down at Scoot for another moment, Dash backtracked out of the room, buzzing her wings until she landed softly outside of the room. Closing the door with a click, she returned to the lobby. It was then that the light coming from the inn’s kitchen caught her eye. Squinting over, she saw Grape Blossom standing up at one of the sinks.

“That was easy!” Dash beamed to herself, trotting toward the open door. “Hey, kiddo,” Dash started, giving a small knock on the door frame as she entered. “Whatcha doin’ up? Appleberry?”

“Yep,” Grape responded quickly. She stepped aside and Dash saw that the sink was filled with water, Appleberry sitting up and peering at his mother, perhaps trying to work out why she wasn’t paying attention to him. “Just giving Appleberry a bath. What are you doing up? Oh... you’ve still got your Harmony thing on?”

“Freakin’ dreams, that’s all. Wanted to go check on Scoots, y’know, while I was up! As for this...” She tapped her chest. “We all decided after the meeting with Luna to keep them on at all times, ’cause ya never know! So...” She approached them, smiling down at the unicorn foal. “Didn’t he have a bath yesterday?”

“Yeah...” she sighed, fishing out a small sponge from the depths of the sink and running it across her baby’s forehead. Appleberry screwed up his face and started to splash in protest.

“Is everything... uh, y’know, alright?” Rainbow Dash asked in concern. “I should probably ask if Amadeus knows if you’re bathing a foal in his sink, too!”

“This is his hoof-washing sink, it’s cool!” Grape rolled her eyes. “As long as we’re playing ’twenty questions,’ yeah, it’s all cool, it’s nothing... Appleberry was just ill again, you know...” Grape laid the sponge back in the water while her child glared at her reproachfully. “Just... the u-usual.”

Dash wasn’t fooled. “Something’s bothering ya, Grape,” she pressed.

“Just... j-ust throwing up, a fever, diarrhea, coughing, the usual!” She leaned against one of the counters, covering her face. “He c-couldnt breathe, e-earlier. He was c-choking and c-coughing and, and...”

Grape wasn’t able to hide the fact that she had started to cry. Shield her face though she might, she was unable to disguise her quiet sobs. Wordlessly, Rainbow Dash reached out a comforting hoof to her. Grape did not push it away, so the pegasus took the initiative and pulled her into an embrace, wrapping her wings around the teenager. Before she knew it, the purple and silver filly had broken down completely, shaking with misery and letting out heaving sobs.

“Grape... Grape,” Rainbow whispered softly to her. “Calm down, kiddo! Appleberry’s fine, hun!”

“I didn’t know what t-to do!” she wailed, causing Appleberry to stare at her in confusion and fear. “I’m j-just a kid, Rainbow Dash! I don’t know what t-to do!”

Rainbow was a at a loss for words, simply holding the distressed girl in her arms. Appleberry was now taking the time to gaze in astonishment at Rainbow’s mane colour, mouth slightly open. Rainbow gave it a small flick and he giggled joyously.

“I ain’t no expert at the whole parent thing, Grape... I screw it up constantly, lemme tell ya. It isn’t easy for anypony.” These words of comfort weren’t working as well as she intended, so she went on hurriedly. “I understand that it can be scary sometimes... I mean, a week after I adopted Scoots, she got sick and I panicked like she was terminally ill! Appleberry’s just got a bad little bug, or somethin’. He’s fine right now, c’mon! You know that. He’s over there laughing at my hair!”

Grape pulled away from her, looking embarrassed as she wiped off her face with a paper towel. “S-sorry about that, um... yeah. I’ve been keeping... keeping that in for awhile. I’ve always had to be the strong one for all the other kids, keep it all in even when I could hear them crying for their parents at night. I mean, me and Dameer were the oldest, so we had to be the strongest. But there’s only s-so much I can hold in.” Grape fell silent for a moment, staring at the floor while Appleberry splashed around in the sink. “Rainbow Dash, I’m so scared... I may be Appleberry’s mother, but I’m just a clueless kid! I mean... I got all the help I needed from Mom. And... she’s gone, now. They’re all gone.”

“I’m sorry, Grape... we’re gonna destroy that thing! Consider that a promise: we’re gonna destroy the Voidwalker. For now, though, you ain’t alone anymore. We’re going to find a doctor in the morning, remember? Everything’ll be biscuits and gravy.”

Grape grinned. “That was... sinfully corny, Rainbow Dash.”

Rainbow shrugged. “Just call me ’Dash’, like a few times before. Or, I dunno, ’Dashie’.”

“What am I? That Soarin guy?” Grape laughed. “’Dashie’ sounds like a lovey-dovey pet name.”

“Hey, I’m ’Dashie’ to Scoots, too! Personally, I love it. It’s just how I refer to myself when I’m talking to her. I use ’Dashie’ instead of ’Mommy’ for... just some reasons, that’s all. It’s no different than a sister being called ’Sissy’. Seriously, why does everypony find that weird... you ain’t the first.”

Grape shrugged. “I’ll call ya ’Dash’, anyways. That’s cooler.”

“Yeah...” Dash trailed off for a moment. “Listen, kiddo... uh, well, while we’re on the subject, would you rather that or ’Grape’?”

“Either’s fine...”

“Anyways, when I said we were here for ya, I meant it, and—”

“I know that,” Grape said with a bemused expression, carrying a towel over to Appleberry. “We’ve just went over that! God, you’re like Numane.”

“Don’t interrupt me, ya brat!” Dash smirked. “As for Numane... why don’t you and the rest of the outcasts come back with us to Ponyville?”

Grape looked surprised. “Huh? I... I dunno, Dash.”

“Come on!” Dash sighed in exasperation. “Look what happened to you in this hellhole of a city? I mean, I...” She stopped suddenly, inwardly cursing herself. “Ugh, sorry, didn’t mean to bring that up.”

Grape had stiffened at the mention of it. “It’s cool, Dash... It’s not like it’s something that haunts me. No, seriously!” For Dash didn’t look convinced. “I’m not trying to be brave or anything, it’s just... you don’t know all the details.” She wrapped Appleberry in his towel, holding him over the basin as the water dripped from his hooves and bright red tail. “Besides, what went down in Mesa nearly two weeks ago was a lot worse than being a victim to a schizophrenic predator...”

“I’m sorry I even brought it up,” Dash sighed. “I didn’t mean to spring that crap on ya, I just... ugh, again! I’m an idiot.” Rainbow turned from the filly, a sickness flooding her stomach.

“It’s fine!” Grape said earnestly, sitting up on the counter and holding the foal close to her, who was fighting. “Don’t fuss, Appleberry! Mommy’s gotta dry you! No, you gotta sit your butt still. No, ’Berry... that’s better.”

“I’m still sorry.” Dash jumped up on the other counter, sitting across from her. “Would you consider moving to Ponyville, though? It’s a better life, I swear!”

“A better life? Please, Dash! My life is just peachy here in Gymkhana. What would I need a better life for?” Dash winced at the forced toughness in her voice.

“Seriously, this place is no place to raise a baby. Ponyville got a buncha programs in place for single moms, like me! Even though I don’t get to use them, since I ’make too much’” Dash sketched the quotations with her hooves. “That’s what I got for working two jobs, but... yeah. You can probably get a job, Twilight can tutor ya, she can train Appleberry to use crazy magic... It’ll be great!”

“It does sound tempting, but I was born here, Dash. My baby boy was born here...” She kissed the foal on his forehead as he cuddled into her chest, his eyes closed. “My whole family line has foundations here. Even if...” She shivered. “Even if me and handsome here are the only two left...” There were tears in her eyes again. “A-at least it’s not like I need to stay in the city so Appleberry can see his father, or anything...” She traced a hoof along her son’s horn.

Rainbow sat there watching for nearly a full minute. She knew it was very rare for a foal to not take on the race of its parent. The only other example of an earth pony giving birth to a unicorn that she could think of was Mrs. Cake, and that wasn’t just a unicorn being born to earth ponies; that was a unicorn and a pegasus. She smirked briefly, remembering the scandal their birth caused, as no one believed they were Mr. Cake’s children.

“I... I take it he’s, uh, locked up, huh? Appleberry’s father?” Dash asked eventually, straightening her face again. She had lost a silent debate with herself to keep her mouth shut.

Grape stiffened. “N-no. He’s dead. Gymkhanan law is pretty strict about that sort of thing. Truth be told, Dash... I kind of felt a little bit sorry for him.”

What?” Dash asked sharply, sure she had misheard.

“He wasn’t right in the head. It was my own fault for even being out that night. My parents always warned me that the Mesa District was dangerous after dark, but I snuck against their wishes to visit Numane, since I wanted him to help me out with an essay...” She sighed heavily, holding Appleberry a little closer to her chest, looking Dash straight in the face. “It was... terrifying.” Grape Blossom shook her head. “H-he was a homeless unicorn, no money, always muttering to himself, I don’t think he could control his actions. If I had any authority, I would have tried to stop his sentence and get him help, but... it’s old news, now.”

Rainbow Dash was just staring at her in amazement. It was incredible how she could even pity her attacker like that. For a youngster to have such compassion for somepony who had harmed her made Rainbow so humbled. There was definitely a lot more to Grape Blossom than she thought.

“Sorry to have to dig up all those old memories, Grape,” Rainbow apologized, slipping off the counter. “I’m kinda nosey like that, I don’t mean to... anyways, I should head back to bed. Think over the Ponyville thing, though. Maybe you can persuade your friends to do the same.” She smiled. “All we have back home are ponies, a mule, a zebra, and a couple of donkeys! Some horses, griffins, and anubi would really spice up the place.”

“I will,” Grape agreed, looking a little happier. “Thanks, you know... for listening. It felt good to talk about, you know. I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Yep, no prob! We’ll get Appleberry to a doctor and, I dunno, maybe you guys can watch us kill the Voidwalker on Monday. It’ll be awesome.” Dash winked. “This nightmare will be over soon. Goodnight.”


The door shut with a click. Rainbow watched as Soarin strolled over to the bed and sat down beside her, the bed springs creaking quietly. Rainbow placed one of her hooves on his left arm, feeling cold sweat. It had taken her at least a solid hour to persuade him to go talk to her, yet even in private, he was being difficult.

“Soarin, talk to me. C’mon, dude... please,” she implored him, biting her wing nervously as she scratched her chin with it.

Soarin parted his lips, teetering on the verge of speech. “I... I don’t know, Dashie. I don’t know.”

Always that response. “Don’t know what?” she pressed him, shuffling closer to him and wrapping both of her front hooves the limb.

“I haven’t been sleeping well.”

“Well, that’s not surprising, y’know, with everything goin’ on. How are you feeling besides?” Rainbow asked, blowing a few stray strands of crimson-coloured hair from her eyes.

“Sick as a mule,” he mumbled, shaking his head. “I thought I’d be elated with Spitfire’s rescue, and don’t get me wrong, I’m thrilled they’re all still alive, but...”

He got up abruptly, pacing the room, looking suddenly very agitated. Rainbow did not open her mouth; she simply watched him walking back and forth. He reached the far wall and slammed his back hooves against it in a rapid buck, making an old oil painting hung up rattle as it bounced against the wallpaper.

“HE TRIED TO KILL YOU! He mutilated Rapidfire! He gave the command for Spitfire, Fleetfoot, and two of his best buddies on the team to be hung. I don’t know, Dashie! He’s my b-brother...” Soarin stopped in the middle of the room, hanging his head. “I-I love him. Thirty years..." Soarin kicked up dust from the floor, flapping his wings furiously. “How could this all happen? I failed as a brother if he could turn out this way without me realizing, and I’m afraid that... that...”

“What are you afraid of, Soar?” she begged him, fluttering over. She had made no attempt to stop him as he raged, not really knowing what to say. “Calm down, man, before you work yourself up.”

“Rainbow... Dashie, I’m afraid that I’m eventually going to have to make a decision between someone I care about and my own flesh and blood. If he goes after you, Spitfire, or, hell, ANYPONY... I can’t hesitate! Dashie, I... I...” His lip was trembling, angry tears splashing down his face. “I’m g-going to k-kill him in the end, I know it! I have to s-stop him THERE’S TOO MUCH AT STAKE!” Soarin was breathing rapidly, a hoof pressed to his face. “If he wakes the Voidwalker, or does whatever the hell will summon it, a-and we all die... Dashie, that thing will sweep across Equestria like a plague!”

“SOARIN, PLEASE!” she pleaded with him, raising her voice just as loud as he had just had his.

Soarin didn’t respond as he resumed his pacing. As he turned to buck the wall again, she pulled him into her chest, using her wings to lift from the floor. He was heavy, but Rainbow Dash held on to him with all her might. Soarin did not attempt to fight her, even though he could have easily overpowered her.

“Calm down!” Dash cried in exasperation. “You’re scaring me...”

It took a few minutes for the stallion to regain control of his breathing. Limbs quaking with fatigue, Dash lowered him back to the floor. Mumbling an apology for seizing him like a child, she stroked his wild, dark blue mane gently.

“I know everything, and I do mean everything, sucks. There’s a butt-load at stake, and it’s your brother we’re talking about, and if we lose, that demon’ll go after Celestia, but... we’ve gotta keep our heads, man!” She stroked his cheek. “You’re strong, Soar. You can keep it together.”

“Everything has broken down, Dashie. My entire life,” Soarin croaked. “The Wonderbolts could be finished, I’m g-gonna l-lose my baby brother, I... I... I can’t do this.”

He stumbled to the bed and sat down. Moving to sit beside him again, she leaned over and kissed him on the cheek, resuming the gentle stroking of his mane. Her heart was aching, seeing him in such pain.

“A few weeks ago,” he began, “everything was so simple. Wave Chill was himself, the team was in good spirits, and Spitfire hated me beyond all reason.” She smiled and gave a small giggle, glad that he was at least able to make a small stab at humour. “Once the airshow was over, I knew I just had to get through a week in this Celestia-damned place before I got my reward for a successful show: a solid month off. I-I wanted to date you, Dashie... I would start off slow, work up my courage and win you over by any means necessary!”

“Ya didn’t need to win me over at all, Soarin... you knew I liked you, you stupid goof!” Rainbow Dash smiled warmly at him, kissing his cheek again.

“I meant... earning your affection, Dashie. I didn’t ever dare to dream that the day of the airshow would end the way it did. That night we shared... was incredible. It was like all my wishes came true! I really, really like you, Rainbow Dash.” She could feel herself blushing as he continued, giving him a soft little punch in the shoulder. “If I could get to see you again once the Wonderbolts got back from this desert, everything was going to be... perfect,” he sighed with an exhale of breath. “Now, I doubt my life will ever be back in order. I don’t think I’d be a good boyfriend like this. I will never earn your affection if... if I have to get blood on my hooves.”

He closed his eyes. Wordlessly, Rainbow pulled his hoof into hers again. Soarin moved his head toward her shoulder, but she nudged his chin with her muzzle so that his face turned towards her own. A deep breath filled her lungs. And then she was kissing him. Her hooves moved to wrap themselves around his neck as the soft warmth of his lips spread to her own. Once again, she was lost in that endless expanse of peaceful oblivion, and there was nothing. No evils to fight, no terrible crimes against the harmony of the world to right, no one to bother them. Just herself and Soarin, lost in a sea of no cares.

Tugging against his neck, she fell backwards on the bed, allowing him to drop down beside her. Their lips did not part; their kiss held together like an iron maiden. Wrapping her wings around both of their bodies, Dash met his own attempting to do the same. Lips parting, she flicked her tongue across his lips, demanding entry. He opened his mouth and pressed his tongue against the underside of her own.

“Soarin... you do have me won over. You’ve earned my affections the moment you were kind to Scoots, sweetheart...” Rainbow whispered in his ear as they pulled apart some time later, staring into each other’s eyes. “Once this is all over, we’ll have our chance. I promise you...” She beamed at him, completely lost in his eyes. “How’s this: you get me and Scoots some ringside seats to the next wrestling event in Canterlot, and you’ll never lose your chance with the great Rainbow Dash! Pull some strings, Mr Wonderbolt...”

He returned the smile, beaming in a most genuine way. “I’ll see what I can do, shall I?”

Her heart hit her throat like a rocket as the bed vanished beneath her, Soarin’s face fading from view. Again, she was falling away from that throne room, the Voidwalker screeching into her ears.

YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING TO THE DARKNESS. I WILL HUNT YOU. I WILL DROWN YOU. I WILL CONSUME YOUR WORLD.

“NO!” Rainbow screamed. “NOT AGAIN!”

She flung out her wings to catch herself, trying to ascend back to the upper level. A sharp pain tore through her as she remembered her broken wing. Rainbow Dash spiralled down, down to the ground... and landed softly on the bed again, eyes flying open.

Thirty seconds passed. Thirty seconds with her blood thundering in her ears, eyes fixed on the wall, breathing in the smell of Scootaloo’s mane. During this time, she recalled what Luna had told them during their meeting.

”It spread its touch through nightmares and madness!”

Her molars would have been ground into a fine paste had they been anything weaker than teeth.

“So...” she whispered into the darkness. “You’ve taken a personal interest in me, haven’t you, demon? You’re tormenting me through my dreams...” There was no response, not that she expected one.

Rainbow Dash stroked a hoof slowly across Scootaloo’s forehead, thinking. Was it possible that Soarin and Scootaloo were being stalked in their dreams as well? After all, they had been there with her when that horrible monster prevented them from warping to Luna’s prism. She closed her eyes, trying to remember the dream.

The dream had been identical to her actual time with Soarin. Her brain had recreated it so perfectly that she wouldn’t have been able to say she was in a dream, even if she was conscious of the fact she had been asleep. However, the Voidwalker and falling had played out a little differently. Was it entirely possible that it was just a regular nightmare, free of that demon’s touch? She couldn’t make up her mind.

“If you can hear me... leave them alone. Soarin and Scootaloo. You can do whatever you want to my head. After all, it doesn’t matter, since we’re going to destroy you,” she hissed, kissing the back of Scootaloo’s head.

Resolving to question Twilight about these strange dreams in the morning, she allowed the thoughts swirling about her mind to become still and silent. As the seconds trickled by like water over pebbles, she began to drift off again, the slow, rhythmic breathing of the filly lying beside her in the safety of her hooves being unable to penetrate her exhausted brain.


SLAM!

Rainbow Dash’s eyes shot open again. In an instant, she scrambled out of bed, hit the floor with a hard bump, swore ferociously, and leapt to her hooves. Immediately, she had set her thoughts to emotionally charge the Element of Harmony still on her chest, which began to vibrate.

“Oops... I’m sorry, my dear!”

“Holy CIDER, Rarity!” Dash groaned, putting a shaking hoof over her chest as the quaking amulet became still. “You almost gave me a heart attack!”

Rarity was leaning with her back against the closed door, two front hooves massaging her temples. “There’s seven of them, Rainbow. SEVEN.”

Rubbing her side where she had hit the floor, Rainbow Dash sat down on the edge of the bed. “Seven of what?” she asked irritably. “Seven ways I’m gonna beat ya senseless when I get out of the hospital due to this heart attack?”

“Oh, no! So much worse than that!” Rarity wailed in a hollow voice. “We have met our match...” she continued darkly.

Dash, deciding to pay her absolutely no attention what-so-ever, checked around the room. The only one who had been sleeping when Rarity stormed in loud enough to wake the dead had been herself. Applejack, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo had already gotten up and left, it seemed. A small flicker of disappointment gurgled in her stomach; she had been looking forward to seeing Scootaloo’s reaction when the filly woke up next to her.

“I just HAD to get away for a few minutes, I crave this respite!” Rarity continued, breathing deeply.

“Alright, alright,” Dash moaned, admitting defeat. “What the hell are ya talkin’ about, Rarity?”

“The Cutie Mark Crusaders, Rainbow Dash!”

“What about them?”

“They have met...” She paused for dramatic effect. “THE OUTCASTS.”

“They’re here?!” Dash gasped, jumping off the bed again. “You kept that quiet!”

“No!” Rarity said, holding up a hoof. “It’s not safe to go out there!”

“What are you... waaaiiit...” A smirk formed across her face. “Seven of them, you say?” Thinking back to the scene in the Hideout, Rainbow could remember seeing three horse foals in addition to Neighshyte as she and Pinkie had prepared to leave. “Uh oh!”

“Indeed. There’s four horses: two fillies, two colts,” Rarity said quickly, her countenance slipping. “The colts are alarmingly hyper. The fillies are your standard levels of hyper. They are all very, very loud!”

“And they’ve met the Crusaders?” Dash asked, grinning. “And the inn isn’t on fire yet? I’ve gotta check this out, I won’t believe it otherwise!”

“N-not yet!” Rarity stammered, before relaxing. “I kind of wanted a word...”

“Uh. ’Kay...” Rainbow shrugged, plopping back down on the edge of the bed. “Shoot.”

“I would’ve mentioned this to you last night, darling, but you retired to bed with Soarin a little too early to be exactly auspicious. And, before you confuse that with ’suspicious’, as you are wont to do... it was suspicious, too!” She shot her a beady look.

“He needed company last night!” Dash said defensively, the memories coming back to her easier now that she had had a good night’s sleep. Once she realized Rarity had insulted her, she made a rude gesture with both of her hooves. Rarity looked scandalized. “Anyways, he was upset! You know, Wave Chill and stuff. I was a perfect lady, by the way!” She grinned.

Rarity gave a snort to suggest her disbelief. “Anyway, to business: Sweetie Belle told me something about Scootaloo last night.”

The grin vanished from Rainbow’s face. “Oh... uh, what did she say?”

“She was telling me that Scootaloo was acting strangely yesterday morning, while you and Pinkie were out exploring this urban jungle.”

“Strangely in what way?” Rainbow asked cautiously, fearing the answer.

“’Acting scared.’” Rarity replied sadly, her ears drooping.

Rainbow stared at her knees, her vision swaying. “I-I was afraid this awful place would get to her! She’s been so... I dunno, I don’t wanna say ’normal’, because that’s just gonna suggest there’s something wrong with her.”

“I understand, hun,” Rarity said sweetly. “The poor child has been through a lot in the last few months, hasn’t she? Constant ups and downs, much like yourself! What I find especially curious, though, is the fact that she was her usual self last night. Even throughout Luna’s dire explanation of that horrible demon, she maintained composure. When you were beaten up by that cur, Wave Chill, she was shaken, but kept her head.”

“I know...” Dash agreed, nodding fervently. “It’s freakin’ weird. I mean, when she has her anxiety spells, they just get so bad so fast. Yet, sometimes, she goes through the scariest stuff without batting an eye, and all I can do is clap her on the back, y’know.”

“I’ve... had a theory concerning her anxiety, Rainbow Dash,” Rarity began uneasily. “And, please; don’t take offense, dear.”

“Uh...” Dash sat up straighter, staring into those deep blue eyes, feeling a little anxious herself. “What do you mean? Why would I get offended?”

“Because...” Rarity hesitated. “It’s about you.”

“A-are you saying I’m the reason she gets anxious?!” Dash gasped, half incredulous, half terrified.

“No, no, no!” Rarity breathed quickly. “You misunderstand me. You see, when—”

“SPIT IT OUT, THEN!”

“Rainbow, please... As I was saying, when she has her episodes where she can’t control her emotions or her fear, how do you react?” she asked delicately.

“What are you tryin’ to suggest, huh? That I freakin’ hit her when she panics, or something?!” Her rage was starting to spill over.

Rarity jumped away from the door, looking pained. “No, Rainbow. Please, calm down! Allow me the opportunity to explain, but first, I need to know how you react.”

Fine," Rainbow snarled through clenched teeth, her right eye twitching. “When Scoots starts to get anxious and panic, I get scared. I do everything I can to calm her down! I hug her, I try to soothe her, I just... I try to calm her down, alright? I make sure she knows I care about her and love her. I say it’s all gonna be fine, and... I do whatever I need to do. It kills me seeing her so scared!”

“Alright...” Rarity sighed carefully, looking frightened. “My theory... was that there’s a chance that she’s afraid of the... concept of having a mother again.”

“Uh... yeah...” Dash said, taken aback. This was not what she expected Rarity’s theory to be. “That’s why I figure she always tries to stop herself from calling me ’Mom’,” she sighed, doing her best to calm down. “Now, what does that have to do with her attacks?”

“I noticed it the night we arrived and perhaps a little that day back in the barn. You remember? When we were testing your disguise?”

“Yeah...”

“When you fall into the motherly mannerisms, and that includes being strict, as well as comforting, it’s possible that she gets confused. This could serve to strengthen the severity of her attacks. I don’t doubt for a second the love she has for you, but it might benefit her if you showed her the big sister she always wanted when she can’t control her emotions. At least... until she is ready to call you ’Mom’,” Rarity finished, attempting to give her a comforting smile, but she still looked apprehensive.

Rainbow Dash nodded slowly, feeling a little sick. What else was going to go wrong lately? Is it really possible that pouring her love into Scootaloo when she thought she needed it the most was damaging to their relationship, or at least to Scootaloo’s mental well being? Unsurprised to find her eyes a little wet, Rainbow could feel the fear that she was a hinderance to the filly she loved so much threatening to overcome her.

“You should talk to her today, sweetheart. Try and see how she’s been coping with everything that’s been going on. It may serve to keep her mood elevated,” Rarity suggested in a gentle tone. “Just be yourself.”

“Yeah...” Rainbow nodded. “I will. After all, might not even get the chance tomorrow... might not get a the chance to do anything.

“Don’t think about that demon right now,” Rarity suggested, approaching the door and opening it. “Now, Grape Blossom is waiting for you. You two are going to find a doctor, right?”

“Yup,” Dash replied, slipping off the bed and onto her hooves. “Just gonna grab my money.”

Bending low, she reached for her saddlebag under the bed and extracted her money bag. Hanging it around her neck so that it rested against her fur, just above the Element of Loyalty, she bounded to the door.

Once in the hallway, Rainbow followed the white mare to the lobby entrance. Throwing the wooden door open with her magic, Rarity steeled herself to march through it, sighing. Coming to a canter, Rainbow Dash caught up.

“Uh... you okay?” she hissed to Rarity, lowering her voice when she heard speaking voices flowing in from the lobby.

“I’m foalsitting,” Rarity responded in a whisper, looking over her shoulder.

“I’m sorry to hear that,” Rainbow replied with a grin. “So, where is everypony?”

Before Rarity could give her a response, Rainbow Dash found herself accosted by a trio of horses. They were foals, with a colt who looked to be about Neighshyte’s age, a filly who was quite small, and another who looked a lot older.

“Whoa, it’s the one with the crazy mane!” the golden colt gasped. “This is Rainbow Dash, Neighsh?! She looks awesome!”

“Yup! That’s her! Hi, Rainbow Dash!” Neighshyte cheered, beaming.

He was sitting at the one of the tables with Grape Blossom. Rainbow could see the blood red Numane beside them, eyes narrowing as she waved at Neighshyte. Despite her best efforts, the horse still didn’t quite trust her, apparently.

“I’m Nishaaj!” the colt continued, bringing her attention back to somewhere near the floor.

Move it, Nish! I wanna say ’hi’, too!” the larger of the two fillies said, shoving him aside. She had dark brown fur. “My name is Anima,” she continued, smiling and bowing.

’At least Anima’s name is easy to remember,’ Dash thought to herself. ’Nishaaj’s... not so much. Oh boy.’ She bent low to talk to the second filly, who was standing a little a few feet away from them. “What’s your name, sweetheart?”

“My name is... um, Hoofza,” the third replied in a soft voice, giving a small bow. “I’m five years old!”

“Oh, wow!” Dash said brightly, smiling broadly at the child. “That’s impressive!”

“Thanks!” she replied, ecstatic. She turned to yell in the direction of the table. “You were right, Neighshyte, she’s so nice!”

Smiling sweetly at her for a moment, Dash straightened up again and moved over to the table where Neighshyte, Grape, and Numane were sitting. Rounding it to the empty chair closest to Amadeus’ desk, she sat down.

“You’ve got a fan!” Grape chuckled, playing with Appleberry’s mane as she watched Rainbow lean back on her chair.

“I’ve got a million fans,” Rainbow said, tossing her hair and smirking. “Where’s Amadeus? He usually just hangs out behind that desk, like he lives there, or something! It’s actually kinda weird not to see him here,” she continued in a more serious tone.

“Well, he ’closed’ the inn, remember? He doesn’t need to remain behind a rickety old desk, waiting for guests to arrive. As we speak, he’s off with Dameer and the others. They’re tracking the new captain of the city guard, who replaced Wave Chill when he took over the military,” Rarity answered for her.

“Oh! So, my idea is working!” Rainbow laughed. “Awesome!”

“The Republic are going to attempt to capture him until everything blows over. Luna stopped by before the children arrived; she believes he is bewitched. What is more, she gave Amadeus a list of officials for when the Republic arrive in the city. I, for one, think it is a brilliant proposal: stalk and capture our enemy’s supporters until those in command can be dealt with.”

“Well, at least things are moving along, Rare,” Dash said with a satisfied exhale, watching Neighshyte trot over to his friends. “Where’s Scoot, Sweetie, and Bloom?”

“The girls are in one of the rooms with the Wonderbolts. Everypony is here except for Rapidfire, who’s patrolling the Crossroads, and Fleetfoot. She hasn’t made it back yet, although that should not be cause for alarm; rounding up the bulk of the New Lunar Republic must take time.”

“’Everypony’ as in the Wonderbolts?” Dash asked, seeking clarification.

“Yes,” Rarity replied, nodding. “Twilight, Fluttershy, and Applejack are investigating the Jewel District more carefully. Pinkie is with Amadeus and the other outcasts.”

“Final question: We know anything new?” Rainbow asked, placing both hooves against the table as she prepared to get up.

“Erm... yes, we do.” Rarity let out another sigh. “The guards are swarming the city, looking for the Wonderbolts. Only problem is... they’re looking for you, too. Wave really wants you dead, my dear.”

Rainbow felt a shiver of cold bite at her. “Oh... well, then. Of course he does. Why wouldn’t he?” she demanded sarcastically. “Well... screw it! I made a promise that I’d take Grape to find a doctor, so I’m doing it anyway. Are there any of those cloaks around, you know, that Soarin and Rapidfire were wearin’?”

Rarity looked like she wanted to argue against Rainbow Dash going, but seemed to accept that the rainbow-coloured mare was far-too stubborn to be stopped. “Rapidfire has one of them. The other is behind the desk... if only Twilight thought to disguise you while you slept!”

“Well, she didn’t, so I’m-a gonna have to take my chances. Don’t look at me like that, Rare... I’ll be careful!” She pushed herself away from the table and stretched.

“Uh... Numane wants to come with us, Dash. Is that cool?” Grape asked, breaking off the whispered conversation the pair of them had been having.

“Oh. Uh...” She looked over at him and their eyes met. “Alright.”

The door on the right side of the room creaked open and Rainbow twisted around to face in. The three fillies walked in, followed closely by Soarin and Spitfire. Scootaloo gave a great gasp once she saw Rainbow and dashed over. Soarin smiled warmly and made his way over as well. Neighshyte, Anima, Nishaaj, and Hoofza ran by them all, heading for Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom. Scootaloo stopped just short of throwing herself at the blue pegasus and put on an angry face. Soarin stood just behind her, looking into Rainbow’s eyes with a curious expression.

“Where were you?” they both asked in unison.

“Uh... heh,” Dash couldn’t help but grin. “About that...”

“You never came in with me...” Scootaloo mumbled, frowning.

“And she disappeared on me!” Soarin added, although it was only now that Rainbow Dash realized he wasn’t actually mad; he was playing along with Scoot.

“I had to babysit Soarin! I came in when you were asleep, Scoots!” Dash said defensively, throwing up her hooves in an exaggerated shrug.

“Don’t matter!” Scootaloo bellowed. “You told me yesterday morning that you’d be there with me, so...” The filly’s face was suddenly crafty. Dash realized that she wasn’t serious, either. “There’s only one way to make it up to me...”

“Is that so?” Dash laughed. “Well, c’mon, let’s hear it, squirt!”

“Well...” Scootaloo’s eyes travelled to rest for a moment on Grape Blossom. Over by the door, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom were nodding vigorously.

“Oooh, no!” Dash said quickly, cottoning on. “We’re off to find Grape a doctor for Appleberry, but you’re not comin’!”

“WHY NOT?!” Scootaloo demanded furiously. “We’ve been stuck inside the inn since we got here! No crusading, no exploring..."

“Yeah, being stuck someplace safe must suck, eh?” Dash asked, rolling her eyes. She remembered what Rarity had mentioned to her and an idea formed in her mind. “How’s about this, Scoots: we’ll have a talk when I get back and maybe you’ll get a chance to do some crusading. Maybe.” Scootaloo’s eyes widened. Whatever she had expected Rainbow to say, it wasn’t that. “But right now, it’s too dangerous without me being disguised. I ain’t riskin’ it, so be a good little filly and sit here, bored out of your trees!”

Scootaloo sighed theatrically, rolling her eyes, too. “Fine! But I’m gonna hold you to that, Sis!”

“Don’t worry,” Rainbow reassured her, glancing back at Rarity. “We’ll def have a talk, kiddo. And, if I think the city is safe, and Rarity and Applejack agree, you can all go out. Promise.”

Scootaloo’s brow furrowed and she scowled at the addition of this new ’Rarity and Applejack’ stipulation, but raised no argument. “Okay.” She walked over to join the other Crusaders and the horses.

“Do me a favour, Dashie...” Soarin spoke up, sitting down at one of the tables. “Meet up with Rapidfire before you go too far away from the Amber Cottage. I won’t worry too much if he’s with you.”

“Alright. He shouldn’t be hard to find; I mean, I just gotta perk up the ol’ ear and listen real closely for the sound of distant swearing while we’re out and about,” she said confidently, causing Scootaloo to giggle over in the corner. “It’ll lead me right to him!”

Giving her wings a flap, she turned towards Grape’s table. “We ready to bounce?”

“Sure. I’m just going to grab a few things from my room and then I’ll be right out, Dash,” Grape said, standing up. “Can you watch ’Berry for me?”

Rainbow, who was actually looking at Appleberry as the purple earth pony spoke, was about to say that she would. However, before the words were out of her mouth, Numane answered. She realized that Grape had been talking to him with that last part, not her.

“Yeah, absolutely. Things will be okay after this, Grape. I love you,” he answered with a delicate tone to his voice.

Rainbow Dash paused, listening for Grape’s response. Grape had told her that Numane ’kinda digged’ her, but that response made it sound like this sounded far more developed than that.

“Love you too, Numane! Mommy be right back, Appleberry.”

Appleberry looked around as she sat him down carefully on the table. As she walked away, he stretched out a hoof for her, giving a squeak of distress, but Numane immediately started to coo him in an effort to distract him, picking up a small toy off the tabletop. Meanwhile, Rainbow Dash ventured over to Amadeus’ desk. Moving behind it, she found the cloak Rarity had mentioned and slipped it on. It was heavy and smelled like wet hay. Knowing that it was going to be swelteringly hot under this, she groaned. Leaning against the desk, Dash cast an eye around the room.

Soarin had fallen into conversation with Spitfire, who had joined him at the table. She knew they wouldn’t stay in the lobby for too long, just in case the military decided to barge in, but she nevertheless didn’t like them being visible from the inn entrance. Scootaloo was giggling happily over with the other kids, all of them chatting and laughing loudly as they no doubt planned a little adventure into the city. Neighshyte caught her eye and smiled at her. Numane sat watching Appleberry, trying to persuade the baby to take the toy out of his mouth. Appleberry glared at him and tried to shuffle away.

’So...’ Dash thought to herself, ’Grape was hiding the fact that she had Numane as a boyfriend, by the looks of things. She probably trusts me a lot more since our talk last night, so she can act more naturally around him. They’re pretty young to be talking about love, though. I think he’s twelve, and... Grape’s thirteen.’

She gave a soft chuckle at the idea of challenging the authenticity of two teenagers’ ’love’ for one another, but she’d never act so cruel. Grape was reminding her of when she herself had been a young teen, dating that colt who had been in and out of juvenile detention centres, even if he did eventually smarten up for his little brother’s sake. She had been so convinced at the time that she was truly in love, but it was just young infatuation. Nothing more. Dash distracted herself with memories of her father trying to dissuade her every night to stay away from that colt.

There was something about Numane that was rubbing her the wrong way, though. He was most definitely the ’tough guy’ of their clique, but would he be an appropriate pairing with Grape, given all of their recent hardships? Dash couldn’t lie to herself; Numane seemed to her to be exactly the type of horse to harm that filly. Bad news. Just like Thunderlane.

“’But I looove him, Dad!’” Dash mumbled quietly to herself, trying not to laugh. “You don’t understand meee!”

That were exactly the words she had spoke to her father when she was fifteen. It was hard to believe it had already been eight or nine years since they dated. Had she not been so obsessive over Soarin at the time, it’s possible that competing against him during the airshow tryouts would have unnerved her. She never stopped to think of the irony of her past and present romantic interests getting progressively drunker at the club afterwards.

She dropped her face, resting her forehead on the cool surface of the desk. One eye continued to peer at Numane, the other blinded by her hair. She could talk to him, or Grape, or them, or both at the same time...

“You’re being nosey, Rainbow Dash,” she mumbled to herself. “Leave the love birds be.” A heavy sigh followed. “Even thinking about the old Thunderlane again is a big ’no-no’, ya flippin’ moron... he grew up for Rumble’s sake, and in any case, you don’t even know if Numane is bad news,” she added reasonably, smacking her head with a hoof. “Thunderlane’s a decent pony nowadays. Maybe Numane’s not so bad. He doesn’t trust you, that’s all... no big deal.”

She just didn’t want to see that poor filly go through anymore turmoil. Resolving to keep an eye on the situation from afar, rather than be an interfering knob, she lifted her head off the desk. For all she knew, Numane was a good guy at heart. Grape walked back into the lobby and Rainbow Dash moved to meet her, flattening out her mane where she had whacked herself in the head, inwardly praying no one had been looking.

“All set?”

“Yep,” Grape answered, placing a bottle of water into a saddlebag and approaching Appleberry. “Let Mommy have that.” The foal started to whine as she gently tugged the toy from his mouth, but she picked him up and nuzzled his muzzle. “Go for a ride, ’Berry?”

The baby’s aspect changed once it saw the little woollen pouch she had hung around her neck. Allowing himself to be dropped into it, he clutched the edge and looked around, resting against her chest. Grape winked at Rainbow.

“Marius knitted it for me! Pretty dang handy for actually getting around without having to walk on three legs, just so I could hold Appleberry sensibly,” Grape said loftily. “And it’s pink. Pink’s awesome.”

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Riiight. Well, c’mon, Numane. Let’s go.”


Sundays in Gymkhana certainly seemed to be quiet. Compared to the hustle and bustle of the streets the day before, it was a quiet atmosphere. The Festival of Summer Flame celebrations were still largely collected within the Crossroads, but as the group moved into Research Row, the district where Rainbow Dash had to be rescued from Wave Chill, the air was eerily silent.

Rapidfire kept shooting glances all around them as he walked at the front of the group with Numane, who was leading the way. They had met up with the stallion around the market stalls. The amusing fact of the matter was that Rapidfire had, indeed, been cursing under his breath when they found him. The subject of his ire had been a group of satyrs and horses dancing around another bonfire.

“Bloody loons, dancin’ in this murderin’ heat,” he had grumbled. “Dere’s guards everywhere, keep yaself covered, Rainba.”

Well, she had, by and large, done as he had instructed. The sweat making her fur stick together made her very conscious of the fact that it had been ages since she last bathed. Maybe she’d need to take care of that soon, especially if she started to smell.

The reason they were in Research Row was because, according to Numane, there was a doctor’s clinic in the area. As they walked, Rainbow Dash could see the buildings of the Mesa District in the distance, just over the low dividing wall.

“I get goosebumps whenever I see something like this...” Grape croaked, breathing deeply. “It’s so weird. Most of the buildings are still standing, but there’s... nothing left. No reason to ever go back, even if the military would let us. They’re gone...”

“I know, Grape,” Numane said softly, giving her a one-armed hug, looking kind of silly due to the fact that horses were very tall.

“How much farther, Numane?” Rainbow asked, trying to distract them from the dismal sight.

“What? Oh. We take the next left turn,” he replied distractedly. “Come on.”

Rapidfire was the first to reach the corner. The moment he peered around it, he jumped back.

“Stop,” he hissed, throwing out a hoof. “Move against dat shop. Now!

Rainbow, Grape, and Numane immediately did as instructed, Grape looking a little frightened. Rapidfire joined them, adjusting his cloak to ensure he was adequately covered. Imitating him, Rainbow Dash made sure her vibrant colours weren’t in view. A moment later, a group of satyrs approaching from the opposite direction stopped dead in their tracks and began to applaud, joined by other horses and a few ponies moving about the district.

“Stamp your hooves,” Rapidfire growled. “Don’t make eye contact.”

Rainbow Dash had to suppress a gasp. Immediately, she started to clop her hooves against the cobbled stone, eyes bulging in her sockets out of fear. A pair of ponies rounded the corner, completely ignoring the clapping and stamping all the creatures made as they passed.

“And I want another patrol stationed in Jewel. You will deliver the orders back to the palace. Understood?” Wave Chill instructed.

“Understood, sir,” Gwyndolin replied in a faint droll, not breaking eye contact with him as they walked.

“Tell Aaqib he’s wasting his time in Mesa. The Steel Talons don’t seem stupid enough to hide the Wonderbolts there.” Wave Chill paused a moment, causing Gwyndolin’s cloak to swirl around her hooves as she imitated him. “You know what? I’m tired of that ignorant horse. Inform him that he must refine his decision making or he’ll be killed.”

“Understood,” she replied as they resumed their movement.

“Finally, I want Kaneighz to start the door to door searches. She is to set the guards searching every dwelling in Dynasty and Crossroads, Dynasty first.”

“Dynasty, sir?”

“They wouldn’t expect us to search the military heart of the city, so they could very well be hiding there. Dynasty will be searched.”

“Is that all, sir?”

“It is.”

Rainbow Dash turned her head as they walked away, the clapping and stomping dying down. With a bright flash of green, Gwyndolin teleported away, leaving Wave Chill alone. He flagged down a group of soldiers flying overhead, who descended in spirals to meet him.

“It’s like every time I turn around, I’m within spitting distance of those two...” Rainbow shuddered as Rapidfire lead them safely around the corner and out of sight.

“Well, we ’aven’t seen da last of ’em, so don’t get comfortable,” Rapidfire cautioned, glancing back at the corner.

“I’m not, trust me,” Rainbow murmured. “This is a bit too frightening to be taken casually. But... what did they say about the Crossroads? I missed it since I was trying to think what Dynasty is.”

“Dey’ll be searchin’ da Crossroads...” Rapidfire supplied, spitting on the ground. “Spitfiah ain’t stupid, she won’t be foun’ easily. None of dem won’t. As for Dynasty, dat’s da military district, between Jewel ’n’ Mesa.”

They had only taken around thirty steps each down this new street before Numane pointed out the clinic he had first seen during one of the outcasts’ many scouting trips around the city. They hurried toward the building and moved inside, Rapidfire standing just inside the doorway, staring back up the street. Numane paused beside him, but the elder pegasus pushed him further inside.

“Stay outta sight, ya dum’ass!”

“They aren’t even after me...”

Rainbow Dash stood aside as Grape Blossom approached the counter and began speaking to the receptionist, a well-dressed female anubis with very thick glasses. She watched Numane sit down at the end of a row of chairs by the big curtained window. He glowered at Rapidfire, who backed into the clinic and closed the door, standing sentinel by it.

The office was dimly lit, the only sources of light being an electric light down a hallway, one inside the receptionist’s small cubical-like area, and the sunlight streaming in through the curtain. Otherwise, the rather spacious interior was shadowed. Rainbow sat down a couple of chairs away from Numane.

Judging by the bits of the conversation she could hear between Grape and the anubis at the counter, the clinic was generally slow on Sundays, so only one doctor was available. This meant that Grape would need to wait until she was done with the only other patient in the building.

“Gotta wait, bud,” Grape cooed sweetly to Appleberry, setting him on the floor. She settled herself between Numane and Rainbow Dash, tapping a hoof on her lap and gazing around. Numane was breathing sharply through his nose.

“Well, we’re all edgy as hell,” Rainbow said conversationally. “How do you keep your composure, Rapidfire? Aren’t you worried?”

“Of course not,” Rapidfire growled in a low voice. “No point worryin’, since I’ma be killin’ Wave Chill before he has a chance to lay a hoof on Spitfiah.”

“Well, that’s three ponies who want a piece of him, now. He’s popular, ain’t he?” Dash whistled darkly.

An aged pony ambled down the hallway beside the inner-office where the anubis sat. With a nod in their direction, he moved to the desk to pay for his visit.

“Grape Blossom, you’re up,” the receptionist called out once the pony moved toward the door to the street.

“Right!” Grape said brightly. “C’mon, Appleberry! You’re gonna get all better, okay?” Appleberry let out a whine as she picked him up, hooves extended toward a stuffed dragon he had been about to start gnawing on. “Nooo, dirty, dirty!”

“Good luck!” Numane smiled weakly.

Silence filled the room as they watched Grape depart. Rainbow Dash fanned herself briefly with one of the magazines on a table in front of them, her tummy growling. She’d need to eat sometime soon. Numane was glowering in a different direction.

“Uh... Numane, I know you don’t really trust me, or... anything, but...” Rainbow Dash spoke up after a few more minutes of uncomfortable silence, “please, just hear me out.

“Why?” Numane demanded, shooting her daggers. “You just wandered into our lives out of the blue and now you’re acting like our own personal saviour. I don’t buy it.”

She frowned. “I’m not dangerous, ya know.”

“That’s not my point,” Numane groaned. “What’s it to you what happens to the outcasts? You’re not our family. We don’t need some babysitter! We can take care of ourselves.”

Rainbow gave him a serious look. “Is that so? How old are most of you?”

“Humph,” Numane grumbled, but didn’t seem to find the question so offensive that he couldn’t reasonably ignore it. “Marius, Fenuku, and myself are all twelve. Aidos and Alastor are ten... you know, the griffin twins.”

“And Grape’s thirteen, Dameer’s gotta be fifteen or sixteen, and the rest of ya are foals?” Dash asked, seeking clarification.

“Yeah, so what’s your point? I told you; we’re capable on our own.”

“You realize you aren’t an adult, Numane? Neighshyte’s big brother is the closest thing to an adult any of you have, even counting Grape,” she informed him, running a hoof through her mane in exasperation. “What would happen if any of you got seriously sick? I don’t wanna sound like a jerkass, but you haven’t really got anyone to help you if something goes wrong!

“So, we’re supposed to just accept you with open arms? Goes back to what I said; you’re trying to shoehorn yourself in as some saviour!” Numane accused indignantly.

“I’m just offering my help, because you are kids and I can’t just leave ya all screwed. Sorry if you find this too interfering, but I know what it’s like to lose a parent at a young age, even if I didn’t lose both of mine like you probably had to suffer through...” She sighed, trailing off for a moment. “You guys shouldn’t have to deal with being abandoned in the freakin’ sewers because your homes were lost. You’ve all even given up your faith in Osiris.”

Numane didn’t answer her, he simply picked up an outdated copy of The Practical Alchemist and began perusing it. Rainbow Dash steamrolled on.

“I’m not asking you to throw yourself at my hooves, just... trust me. Please. I’m trying to help, I don’t wanna see you lot suffer more than you already have. Grape has a child, for pony’s sake! You’re her boyfriend, don’t you want her to get all the help she needs?”

She fell silent, exhaling. Numane screwed up his face in concentration. Despite the fact he was muzzle deep in the magazine, his eyes were still. Looking away from him to check on Rapidfire, Dash saw that he was still keeping watch at the door. Whether or not he had been listening, it was impossible to discern.

“Grape trusts you... I’ll try, Rainbow Dash...” Numane murmured eventually. “Help her however you can.”

“I will,” Dash promised. “I was trying to persuade her to come back with us to Equestria after me and my friends are finished in Gymkhana. You should consider that, too.” She paused a moment. “Listen, you can help Grape out, too. Help her out by making sure she and Appleberry are always safe. I’m expecting things to get messy in this city, do your best to keep her out of harm’s way, won’t you?”

“’Course I will,” he said quickly. “I love her.”

“Then make sure that you grab her and Appleberry and completely book it if anypony happens to stumble upon me and Rapidfire on the way back to the inn. Got it? Stuff’s gonna be waaay too nuts if Wave Chill sneaks up on us.”

Numane nodded and they both fell silent again. Rapidfire moved away from the door and took a seat beside Rainbow Dash. Checking to ensure that the receptionist wasn’t listening, he whispered to Rainbow.

“No sign o’ Wave Chill. We’re safe fa now.”

“I’m still unnerved about the fact we keep running into him!” she whispered back, rubbing her forehead with both hooves. “It’s like we can’t make a move here without risking ourselves getting exposed.”

“Hmm,” Rapidfire huffed. “It’s like a ’zugzwang’, Rainba.”

“A slug’s WHAT?

“’Zugzwang’. It’s from da game of chess. Ya know how ya hafta make a move on ya turn, even if it means puttin ya pieces in danga? If ya can’t make a single ben’fical move, it’s a zugzwang,” Rapidfire explained.

“Uh... if you say so.” Rainbow shrugged.

“Y’see our situation... If we wait, da Voidwalker will be released. If we act now, we risk defeat as we’re unprepared and ain’t got no backup. Luna cannot da’rectly help us ’cause she’s riskin’ revealin’ herself. Everywhere we go in dis pig stye of a city, we run into enemies. Totally outnumbahed, totally outpowahed, ’n’ if we don’t do nothin’, we’ll be killed,” Rapidfire growled. “Zugzwang.”

“Sheesh... you’re so cheerful right now, Rapid, that I can’t look ya in the face and take ya seriously,” Dash said sarcastically, shaking her head.

“Shaddap.”

Dash smirked. Even Numane grinned a little, although he still looked nervous. He looked over to the hallway again, twisting the outdated magazine in his hooves. He gave a start when Dash placed a comforting hoof on his shoulder.

“Whoa, dude. Chill,” she suggested. “Don’t jump out of your fur. I know it seems bad, but I’m trying to joke around because I know we’ve gotta keep our spirits up. We’ll pull this off somehow.”

“I’m just a little worried about Grape, honestly,” Numane revealed. “They’ve been in there for awhile.”

“Grape’s probably getting herself checked out at the same time. Living in the sewers can’t be healthy. Oh, speak of the devil, herself!” she said as Grape walked down the hallway, Appleberry munching on his own hoof.

Numane jumped up, as did Dash, herself. Grape walked around to the counter, smiling back at them.

“Looks like he’s just got a stomach virus, that’s all,” Grape told them, looking relieved. “It’s only bad because he’s a baby. They’re gonna give me some medicine that should keep his fever down and fight the bug.”

“That’s awesome!” Dash exclaimed cheerfully, winking at Numane. “See? Nothing to worry about!”

“Yeah, I guess!” Grape nodded, putting a shaking hoof to her forehead. “Got all nerve-wracked for a minute in there, but it’s all good. Got myself looked at, too. Clean bill for me, haven’t even caught ’Berry’s bug!” She turned to see the receptionist approaching with the medicine. “How many bits have you got, Dash?”

“Loads,” she answered, tapping the money bag still around her neck. “Like seven hundred in credit slips and about seventy individual bits. I don’t see this costing a lot, medical costs back home are a joke. It’s the least I could do, Grape!”

“Let’s see,” the anubis began, looking down a receipt. “Two medical examinations, one for a foal and one for a matured pony... this antivirus medication... that’ll be five hundred and forty five bits.”

Rainbow’s eye twitched.


The trek back to the Amber Cottage was much more uneventful when compared to the journey there, as there was a conspicuous lack of an encounter with a deadly foe. Nevertheless, she was starting to grow nervous as the day wore on. The more close calls they had, the more Rainbow Dash felt like a dark shadow was creeping in on them.

Time was running out. She knew it. Would the Republic even get here before seven the next evening? Just under thirty hours was all they had. She didn’t even want to think about sleeping that night; it would feel like a complete waste of time.

All of the ponies and horses celebrating all around them, not knowing their time was short, not knowing a terrifying threat was looming overhead. They couldn’t alert the populace, because causing a panic would draw attention to themselves. On the flipside, they couldn’t just abandon every innocent being in the city. ’A zugzwang... Would the New Lunar Republic be able to guide most of the citizens out of Gymkhana?’ Rainbow asked herself.

No. There was only one true solution to this problem: They would need to defeat Wave Chill and Gwyndolin. It was the only way. Too many lives would be at risk if that horrible demon was summoned, wherever it may be now, for whatever reason it was choosing to hide.

The nagging doubts were returning. Even if they managed to somehow deal with those two ponies, the Voidwalker still existed. It was still out there somewhere, able to taunt her in her dreams.

“What if it doesn’t actually have to be summoned,” she reasoned with herself in a low mumble, feeling horrified. “What if the Voidwalker will arrive at seven tomorrow... regardless of whether or not we beat them...?”

“Dash? You alright?” Grape asked her, peering back. “You’re falling behind and mumbling to yourself.”

“Uh.” Dash gave a quick, innocent-looking grin. “Don’t mind me, just talkin’ to myself, that’s all!” She hurried forward. “Hope everypony’s back to the inn, now. They’ll be thrilled to hear that Appleberry’s gonna be alright, eh?”

“Yep, I can’t wait to tell Dameer and Neighsh!” Grape said excitedly. “They were so worried.”

Rapidfire gave a final look around before knocking on the door to the Amber Cottage. Within a minute or so, the sound of a deadbolt sliding back and a few clicks indicated that the door was being unlocked. Amadeus pulled open the door, took an uneasy glance down the street, and stood aside.

“Welcome back,” the purple satyr greeted, bowing.

“Thanks,” Rapidfire said quickly, disappearing into the lobby.

Grape Blossom and Numane followed him. Anxious to finally throw off the heavy cloak, Rainbow Dash graciously stepped inside and closed the door. As Amadeus locked it again, she watched Grape lower Appleberry out of his carrying pouch and onto the floor. Spitfire hurried over to Rapidfire and gave him a swift hug, Soarin behind her, looking very happy.

Scanning around the room, Rainbow noticed that all of her friends were back. Pinkie Pie was waving energetically at her, the Element of Laughter now resting against her chest. Applejack and Fluttershy were beside her. Twilight was at the next table, head bent low as she poured over a book. Several more were spread out in front of her. Rarity was looking exhausted, leaning heavily back in her seat, one arm draped over the back, holding a glass of water precariously in the light grip of her hoof as she drank. Spotting the plate of fruit on Rarity’s table, Dash made a beeline for it, famished.

“Spitfiah,” Rapidfire began, “da guards are startin’ searches of da city districts, lookin’ fa us ’Bolts. Somepony’s gotta keep watch. If dey come to da Amba Cottage, we’ve gotta get into dat secret basement.”

Spitfire looked worried. She opened her mouth to say something, but Amadeus forestalled her.

“Well,” he chuckled, beginning to unlock the door again, “I’ll do that, myself. I must do some painting of the exterior, anyway. That will help sell the idea that the inn is ’closed for renovations’. If I see the guards approaching, I will knock three times on the door very hard.”

“Thank you, Amadeus,” Spitfire sighed in relief. “Anything else, Rapidfire?”

“Well, da reason we know about da searches is ’cause we over’eard Wave Chill and dat warlock talkin’. Luckily, Wave’s head is so fah up his ass dat he never saw us,” he growled. “We can’t affoad anotha close call... we’ve gotta stay ’ere.”

“Agreed, then,” Soarin said, moving towards the right door. “I’ll tell Lightning Streak and Fire Streak to get out here so they’ll know when to hide.” He gave Rainbow Dash a broad smile before disappearing through it.

Numane gave a look around. “Pinkie and Amadeus are here, but where’s Dameer, Marius, and the others?”

“In the rooms through the left, dear,” Rarity sighed, rubbing her eyes.

Rainbow started tearing into some plums, the sweetness embracing her tongue, their juices quenching her thirsty throat. Numane disappeared through the left door, informing Grape that he was going to get them all to come out. Grape nodded, sitting down on the floor and watching Appleberry play with some blocks he had left there. Occasionally, she would give his hoof a light slap whenever one of the blocks got too close to his mouth. Apparently in retaliation, the foal had a burst of magic, levitating six of them towards his face at once as he caught them in a cherry-coloured aura. Grape groaned loudly and tried to snatch them out of the air, but the magical pull was stronger than she was. Giggling, Appleberry sent them up near the ceiling, his mother dangling from her hooves.

“APPLEBERRYPUTMOMMYDOWN!

“So,” Dash said indifferently, momentarily turning away from the action. She flexed her wings, just in case she needed to make a quick catch if the earth pony fell. “Applejack, you girls see anything in Jewel?”

“Waste of time,” Applejack groaned, sweeping off her stetson. “We didn’t see nothin’ worth rememberin’. Just a buncha hoity toity Gymkhanites talkin’ about the botched execution. Kids’n Amadeus tried to keep on that military chuff, but they couldn’t follow him into the heart of the Dynasty District... I reckon it’s been closed off to the public.”

“It was definitely closed,” Pinkie bemoaned seriously. “I didn’t even get to see if they had any bakeries! I’ve been comparing the local joints to Sugarcube Corner!”

“Pinkie’s been making very, uh, tactical decisions with our time.” Applejack smirked.

“Well, that all sucks!” Dash replied brightly, smacking her face on the table. “Maybe we’ll get lucky and have the military find us instead. Our hiding is pretty much the only thing that hasn’t gone wrong yet.”

“I did find this interesting book store in Jewel, though!” Twilight said, lifting her head out of one. “I’m reading up on Gymkhanan history, which is very, very fascinating,” Twilight explained happily, clapping her hooves together with a series of loud clops. “Oh, and I’ve also picked up a published collection of research papers on various demons that have been encountered, both in dreams, and when magical rituals have gone awry. Hopefully I’ll come across something that resembles the Voidwalker.”

Rainbow Dash was about to mention her nightmares when the left-side door burst open, flooding the room with youngsters. Knowing a ’did an orphanage just explode?’ joke would have been in very poor taste, Rainbow stood up and flapped her wings. First, she brought Grape back to the floor. As the purple pony clutched her chest and glared at her child, Rainbow flew over to Dameer, who was standing beside the griffon twins, Aidos and Alastor.

“Hey, Rainbow Dash!” The coffee-coloured horse greeted as she landed beside him. “Missed you this morning.”

“Yeah, I slept in, then I took Grape to find a doctor.”

“Yeah, Numane told us. Listen,” he lowered his voice, “we’re really glad for your help. Numane might have taken awhile to come around, but the rest of us trust you. Especially after all you’ve done for Grape Blossom.”

“Don’t mention it!” Dash smiled at him. “Seriously. Because I want to forget how much that visit to the doctor cost me!”

Dameer chuckled and walked over to Grape. “How are you doing?”

Absolutely capital,” she replied darkly, having given up on attempting to prevent Appleberry from gnawing on the edge of a cube. “Appleberry’s got some medicine I gotta give him after his next feeding. Once he’s got that, he can be a bad little boy a little easier.”

The foal gave a happy little squeak as he drooled on the block. Grape sighed, sat down beside him again, and played with his little wisp of hair. Marius the satyr moved to sit beside her with Fenuku, breaking out into whispered conversation. Rainbow felt a small thwack against her leg and glanced down, surprised to see Scootaloo; she had missed the filly when they had all ran into the room at once.

“Siiis! Stop ignoring me!” Scootaloo demanded.

“Whoops,” Rainbow said apologetically, stooping low. “Didn’t see ya, kiddo.”

“So, we gonna talk?” Scootaloo asked, reminding her of her promise.

Rainbow grinned at Scoot. “I suppose so.”


Rainbow closed the door behind the filly, who bounded toward the bed and leapt upon it, flopping onto her back. She walked over, sat down beside the orange filly, and waited. Scootaloo was staring at her out of the corner of her eye, tail flicking.

“So...” the filly started, tapping the bed impatiently. “Whatcha wanna say, Sis?”

“I’m just... uh, I wanted to see how you’ve been doin’, since we haven’t had that much time to hang out, y’know?” She stretched out a wing. “C’mere!”

“Naw,” Scoots said, kicking a hoof toward Dash. “You owe me freedom!”

“You know why we’ve been keeping you kids in here, right? I’m not trying to be mean!” She folded the wing again. “No cuddles for you, I see.”

Scootaloo frowned and sat up, tugging at one of her own wings. “Yeah, I do. Sis... I know it’s not safe, but the other kids go out on their own. Why can’t we?”

“They aren’t related to the ponies the bad guys wanna fight, are they? They don’t have anywhere safe to go, either. I’m just worried about ya, Scoots. You’re really awesome!” Rainbow smiled at her, happy to see the little grin on her face in return.

“But... nothing bad will happen to me and Sweetie and Apple Bloom... I’ll make sure,” Scootaloo pleaded earnestly.

“You can’t know that, Scoots...”

“I’ll make sure!”

“C’mon, now! You know ’I’ll make sure’ doesn’t work on me.” She tapped the filly lightly on the shoulder, paused, then pulled her in quickly, hoof placed to her head. “Hoooweveeeer... maybe we can work out a deal?”

“Nooo, Sis! Don’t you dare!” Scootaloo snarled, pressing all four hooves against Rainbow’s chest.

Rainbow laughed and started moving the hoof back and forth quickly in a vicious noogie, deaf to Scootaloo’s protests. Eventually, both hooves moved to her sides as she tickled her. Scoot gasped for air, flailing her arms and struggling with all her might.

“Lemmegolemmego!” Scootaloo wailed, trying not to laugh.

“You promise to not take any dumb risks while you’re outside... and I will!” Rainbow offered, giggling herself.

“FINEFINEFINE I PROMISE! Lemme gooo!”

Rainbow released her charge and Scootaloo scrambled away, breathing hard. “Ya... big bully!”

“Ouch! That hurts, ya meanie.”

“Big, blue dummy!”

The pair of them started to laugh, and once they had started, it was difficult to stop. Rainbow fell backwards, practically crying with mirth. She felt absolutely wonderful as her spirits soared higher than the sun. Rolling over, Rainbow Dash wrapped both her wings and her arms around the filly and pulled her close.

“I love ya, Scoots... so much,” she whispered, kissing her forehead.

“Does that mean we’re allowed to go out?”

Dash laughed again. “Not the answer I wanted to hear, but...”

“I know it wasn’t!” Scootaloo admitted brightly.

Hush, you! Anyways, yeah, you girls can leave the Cottage. Well, if Applejack and Rarity agree. But... you gotta stay in that little secret base that’s downstairs tomorrow, alright? Me and my friends are gonna have to use our Elements of Harmony tomorrow and I can’t have you in danger,” Dash sighed. “You’re waaay too important to me, got that?”

“I got it, I got it!” Scootaloo said quickly. “I love you, too, Sis. I really do! And thanks!”

Scoot jumped off the bed, exploding with happiness, but Rainbow leaned forward and caught her tail with her teeth. The orange pegasus nearly stumbled, but managed to stay upright.

“Uh... what?” she asked, glancing back.

“Hold up, Scoots... I won’t be going with you.” The words came out bluntly and made Rainbow Dash feel somewhat ill again.

What?” Scootaloo gasped, staring back at her. “Why?”

The decision had been crossing her mind for most of the day. The most damning attribute of the whole thing was the fact that it made Dash feel like a coward. If Scootaloo was upset by it, it would only make it all worse.

“Listen, Scoots...” Rainbow gestured Scootaloo back to her, and the filly obliged. “Wave Chill is after me as much as the Wonderbolts. I’ve already ran into him more times than I’m comfortable with. They’re all staying here... and I think I should, too.”

“But...” Scootaloo looked at the floor for a moment, trying to find the right words. “I want you to come, Sis...”

Rainbow held out her hooves and Scoot moved into them. Pulling her into a tight hug, Rainbow realized that Scootaloo had begun to cry again. She lifted her off the floor and sat her on her lap, keeping the filly pressed against her chest. If Rarity was right and it was her constant mothering that was damaging to Scoot, she would need to do this carefully.

“Hey, hey... don’t cry, kiddo!” Rainbow said softly, stroking her back. “You don’t need me to go Crusading! I’d get in the way.”

Scootaloo shook her head into Rainbow’s fur. “N-no, it’s n-not about t-that...”

“What’s the matter, then?” Rainbow asked, moving Scootaloo back a little bit so she could peer into those dull purple eyes she loved so much. “You wanted some freedom, right? You won’t even need to worry about me breathin’ down your neck, makin’ sure you behave yourself! I trust you enough that I know you won’t put yourself in danger, so I’m giving you free reign, Scoots! Isn’t that awesome?” she continued, doing her best to act as though this was the best thing in the world. “You, and Sweetie Belle, and Apple Bloom... and all the horses, I guess... you can all go exploring for awhile. Maybe Pinkie Pie would go too? Or, heck, Applejack and Rarity will probably tag along, but that might be boooring!”

Scootaloo wasn’t taking the bait. “But... I’m scared, Rainbow Dash...” she whispered softly, running an arm noisily across her muzzle. “I want you to be there with me so I don’t gotta worry anymore.”

“Have you been worrying about me, Scoots?” Rainbow asked softly, kissing her on the top of the head.

“Duh, you b-big idiot!” Scootaloo yelled, giving a cough as she sobbed again. “Nothin’ goes right and I don’t wanna lose you! And I keep having nightmares about that shadow thing...”

Rainbow sighed. “You and me both, Sister... Soarin too, I bet. Listen, Scoots, I’m a lot safer at the inn. Ya ain’t losin’ me here, I promise, Scootaloo,” Dash explained quietly. “I’d love to go out there with ya and watch ya destroy half the city in an effort to get your cutie marks. Honestly, I would! I’m the big blue moron who suggested trying a billion things to Apple Bloom in the first place, remember?” Her heart lightened when she heard Scootaloo give a watery chuckle. “But I’m better off where it’s safe. I’ve just taken way too many risks, squirt, you know that... I mean, ya could chill with me here, but would you rather stay with me or go out and have fun with your friends? Twilight’s bound to have me reading some of her new research books, so for Celestia’s sake, get away from the snore-fest while ya can!”

Scootaloo giggled again and Rainbow Dash waited for her to calm down. At least this wasn’t another anxiety attack, she reflected gratefully. She knew Scootaloo would be alright outside of the inn, especially if the guards were liable to come searching. If they found the Wonderbolts, all hell would break lose.

“I forget sometimes that you think I’m just as special to you as I feel you are to me, Scootaloo,” Dash whispered once the filly had stopped crying. “I won’t forget again. You should go out and play, Scoots. Dashie’ll be fine! I’ll be with Soarin and the rest. Twilight will be here and whoever else sticks around. If you be careful while you’re out exploring, I’ll feel even safer, knowing you’re okay.”

Scootaloo tilted her head to stare up at Rainbow Dash again. After a moment, she finally spoke.

“Alright... when do you want us all to come back?” the filly asked, rubbing her eyes and muzzle, perhaps to disguise the fact that she had been crying.

“Well, there’s a curfew, so... before that, I guess! I don’t think that’ll be a big deal, though, sweetheart. I mean, it’s still early, so you lot go and have fun for however long ya want and I’ll sit here and... read,” Rainbow said, pulling a super-serious face on the last word. Scootaloo laughed again.

“You sure you’ll be okay, Sis?” Scootaloo asked seriously. “This is still sorta scary...”

“We’re gonna get through this, Scoots. I promise ya. We’re fixing this tomorrow and then we’re gonna go home. Everything’s goin’ back to normal and we’ll finish that Daring Do book, alright?” Rainbow nuzzled her with her muzzle.

“Alright, Sis!” Scootaloo giggled, smirking. “Have fun readin’, ya egghead!


Rainbow Dash yawned. Rolling over, she glanced up on the wall at the clock affixed there. The constant ticking had finally started to drive her bonkers, and she had given up on reading Twilight’s book on demons.

’Five... I expect they’ll all be back, soon,’ she thought, stretching out her limbs.

She tapped the book resting open against her chest, sighing. There was nothing in there, at least that she could find, that resembled the Voidwalker. The closest thing was what the text had referred to as a soul-consuming creature the size of a village. Apparently, its name was loosely translated to ’K’bwa Giza’, but there was no way the Voidwalker could be that big. Besides, that name made her skin crawl.

Shrugging off the idea, Rainbow Dash had instead looked through it again, keeping her eyes peeled for the word ’soul’. She knew the Voidwalker wanted an alicorn soul, but few demons tended to deal with them. Here and there she saw the word, but it was usually unrelated to the demon’s powers. Again and again, she found herself on the same article about the village-sized creature.

“This stupid ’Kwababa Geezer’!” Dash groaned, throwing the book down. “I quit.”

“Rainbow Dash?” Soarin spoke up from the far bed, rolling to face her. “You okay?”

“Twilight’s got me reading names that make me wanna pull my tongue out. I’m just sunshine and rainbows!” she snapped sarcastically, beating the back of her head against the pillow.

“Wanna swap books, then? I’m reading up on the New Lunar Republic,” Soarin offered.

“No thanks, I’m gonna get something to eat,” Rainbow decided, leaping off the bed. “See ya later, Soar!” She walked quickly over to his bed, kissed him briefly, and left the room.

Moving down the hallway, she passed by Spitfire’s room and hesitated, debating knocking. Part of her wanted to see how Spitfire was doing, but another part wanted to leave her in peace; Spitfire had been acting very moodily as time moved further and further away from their encounter with the Steel Talons. Rapidfire had done his best to keep her in good spirits, but fear of the future of the Wonderbolts was still troubling her.

Knowing Rapidfire was still in with her, she left him to it and continued into the lobby. Twilight was standing by the doorway and Fluttershy was reading one of the books the unicorn had abandoned. The rest of the room was empty. This was hardly surprising, however. After all, Rarity and Applejack wanted to venture out into the city to keep a distant watch on the Crusaders, Neighshyte, and the other three foals. Pinkie Pie had tagged along as well, at the insistence of the five-year-old Hoofza.

Grape and her friends weren’t around either. Once Appleberry had been given his medicine, they had all decided to join the swelling group going out into the city. Of all the outcasts, only Dameer and Numane were still at the Amber Cottage.

“Rainbow Dash, have you seen Amadeus?” Twilight Sparkle asked her the moment she was within earshot.

“Uh... no, why?” Rainbow replied. “He’s out working on the inn’s exterior, I thought.”

“He was, but he’s not there now!” She hesitated briefly. Making up her mind, she used her magic to disguise herself into the silver and white-maned tangerine unicorn and left through the front door. “Be right back!”

Shrugging, Rainbow fluttered over to Fluttershy. “Hey, Flutters, any word from Fleetfoot yet?”

“I’m afraid not...” Fluttershy moaned sadly. “We’re still waiting.”

“I hope we don’t need to wait too long... we’re runnin’ out of time as it is.”

The door opened again and Twilight came back inside. Her eyes were wide with worry. Rainbow didn’t fail to notice this and she flew back over to the door, landing with a soft clatter of hooves.

“Uh... is everything okay? Where’s Amadeus?” she asked, trying to peer over Twilight’s head.

“That’s the thing, Rainbow... I don’t know where Amadeus is! He said he was keeping watch for approaching guards, since they’re doing door to door searches, but... he’s not there,” she said in a panic. “And I dunno when he left!”

“Relaaax, Twi! He was painting, so he’s probably gone for more supplies,” she suggested reasonably. “We don’t even know if the inn will be searched.” She suddenly remembered something. “Though... the Wonderbolts should still be out here, anyway. Just in case. That way, they can just zip off through the kitchen to the basement...” Rainbow Dash groaned. “Dammit, ya got me all paranoid, now!”

“I hope I’m just being paranoid...” Twilight sighed, dispelling her disguise. “I need something to distract myself... where’s that book on demons Rainbow? I want to read up on a particular one that I believe matches the Voidwalker closely.”

“It’s in Soarin’s room. I’ll go grab it. We gotta keep the Wonderbolts on their guard, anyways.”

A few minutes later, Rainbow Dash had the book wrapped in a hoof as she walked three-legged back down the hallway. Soarin was behind her, yawning. He knocked on the door to the room where Fire Streak and Lightning Streak were staying while Rainbow moved to Spitfire’s. At her knock, Rapidfire appeared in the doorway.

“Hey, Rapid,” Dash said, giving him a weak smile. “Everythin’ cool? Twilight said Amadeus just went AWOL for a bit, so you guys should come out. You’ll need to be on the scene, y’know? In case you need to hide.”

Rapidfire looked swiftly over his shoulder. “Dis inn ain’t big, so it don’t matta where we are. I’ll come keep watch, den. Let Spitfiah rest in peace, please.”

She gave him a searching look, but he only replied with a stony gaze. Shrugging, Rainbow Dash nodded and returned to Twilight Sparkle, Soarin, Lightning Streak, and Fire Streak behind them.

Once in the lobby, Rapidfire moved cautiously toward the front door and peered carefully through the glass, doing his best to keep himself only partially in view. Rainbow held up the book and Twilight levitated it out of her hoof, smiling.

“Thank you, Rainbow! I’ll give that article I was talking about another look-over.”

Rainbow was about to ask what article she was talking about, but she never had the chance. Rapidfire gave a snort from the window, turning to look back at them.

“I dunno what yas two were on about. Amadeus is right there,” he said, turning back to look out again. “looks like da rest of ’em are back, too, because he’s not alo—” Rapidfire stopped mid-word, his good eye widening. “No, no, no! Dammit!

“W-what is it?!” Rainbow Dash asked in alarm, her voice cracking.

Rapidfire moved swiftly back, swearing. “He sold us out!”

“WHAT?!” Soarin demanded, the book he was holding falling to the floor.

“The sonuvabitch sold us out!” Rapidfire gasped, flexing his wings involuntary. “He has ’alf a dozen guards with him! Twilight, use ya magic to barricade the door!”

Twilight, whose eyes had been bulging in fear, sprang into action at his command. Concentrating hard, she seized every single table and chair in the room and flung them toward the entrance, arranging them carefully into a sturdy pile. Rainbow Dash’s heart was banging in her throat, her mind completely blank. This couldn’t be possible. They had come too far for it to end like this.

“Soarin, open da false wall downstairs! Lightning, go get da Cap’n!”

Both did as instructed while Rainbow continued to stand there, paralyzed with fear. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Fire Streak trying to assist Fluttershy, who appeared to have gone into a full panic attack, gasping for breath. Twilight continued to focus on the pile of furniture, wedging each piece into place until she could move it no longer. She ran to Rainbow’s side, blinking away tears.

“We shouldn’t have let everypony leave! We need the Elements of Harmony together, or else they’re useless!” Twilight wailed. “Oh Celestia, what’re we gonna do?

Rainbow still couldn’t speak. She couldn’t think. This had to be another one of the Voidwalker’s nightmares. There was no other way.

A series of rapid knocks echoed on the door behind the barricade. Rapidfire was taking steadying breaths, glancing back at the mares. Wordlessly, he jabbed a hoof toward the kitchen, where the entrance into the basement was.

“Open up!” a gruff voice called, muffled both by the door and the pile. “You are to present the Wonderbolts and Rainbow Dash to us, or else face death!”

“RAPIDFIRE!” Soarin burst. “They’re coming up this way! We’re surrounded!”

Three armoured horse guards were advancing upon him, spears aimed at his chest. Rainbow thought she was having a heart attack; the secret passage into the sewers wasn’t safe. There was no escape. One of the guards lunged forward, his spear cutting Soarin across the cheek and Rainbow felt the fury break over her. Before she could do anything, however, Rapidfire had flown forward.

All four hooves landed on the spear as the guard went for another swing. It hit the floor with a clatter and the guard overbalanced. Flapping his wings, Rapidfire jumped high into the air and used both front hooves to pull the head of the horse forward. Rolling over in the air, he brought the back hooves down and stamped hard. With a grunt, the guard hit the floor, unconscious, his helmet rolling off. The other pair surged forward and Soarin bucked one of them in the stomach. The guard in question had just risen to his hind legs, spear held high, to block a punch thrown by Rapidfire. As Soarin’s hooves made contact, he buckled over and Soarin repeated the gesture, this time bucking him in the face.

“Good gracious...” Twilight mumbled, awestruck by the Wonderbolts’ fighting. “Two armed soldiers, downed like that!”

The left door banged open and Dameer and Numane ran out, confusion etched on their expressions. Dameer worked out the situation before Numane, and he dove upon the fallen guardsmen’s spears and threw one to Numane. The right door flew open and Lightning Streak lead Spitfire out.

“We’ve gotta get the hell out of here!” Spitfire roared over the banging of the soldiers outside of the inn as they hammered on the door and walls. “Through the passage in the basement!”

“No good, Spit!” Soarin bellowed over to her as he assisted Rapidfire in disarming the third guard. “There’s more coming that way, we’ve gotta block the door!”

Finally getting a grip, Rainbow Dash rushed over to Fluttershy, dropping low to talk to her. Fire Streak was still trying to hush and calm her, one of her hooves in his.

“Flutters, c’mon, girl! Keep it together, we’re gonna pull through this!”

“I’m s-so scared! I don’t wanna die!” Fluttershy whimpered.

“Nopony’s gonna die! C’mon, we need ya!”

Fluttershy shook her head. “I can’t help, I’m no good at fighting!”

Rainbow groaned. “You can still help us!”

“Soarin, catch!” Rapidfire said, throwing the third fallen guard’s spear to him. “I can hear ’em comin’ from downstairs!”

“Dammit!” Soarin replied, clutching the spear to his chest. “Dashie, get your friends and take them... and take them... argh!”

“There’s no where to go!” Twilight cried, pulling herself together. “I’ll have to start using my magic!”

“You two get someplace safe,” Rainbow said to the horses, jerking her head toward the hallway they had come from.

“Numane, you go,” Dameer instructed, turning to face the kitchen, the distant sound of hooves scrambling up a staircase barely audible over the hammering against the walls. “I’m older, I’m helping the Wonderbolts.”

“You honestly think I’d ditch you, you flippin’ idiot?” Numane demanded, gripping his spear tight. “Grape and the rest of them are safely out of here, so I can help you!”

“Stay back!” Rapidfire shouted, staring down four new guards as they entered the kitchen from the basement. “We just beat ya pals senseless, so back off if ya knows what’s good fa yas!”

“Spitfire and her flunkies escaped their execution. You two can join them! Turn yourselves in and it’ll be quick,” a pegasus soldier said, brandishing his sword.

“Go to hell!” Spitfire suggested, standing on her back hooves with her front hooves raised.

It was like a bomb had gone off. Rainbow let out a cry of pain as a chair smashed into her back, sending her to the floor and burning her fur. Twilight quickly conjured a shield to guard Fluttershy and Fire Streak beside her before a burning table spinning through the air could hit them or Rainbow. Dameer and Numane turned towards the doorway, looking shocked. The four guards rushed forward from the kitchen and engaged Soarin and Rapidfire. Lightning Streak and Spitfire were dodging pieces of flaming wood as it continued to fly through the air.

Rainbow scrambled back to her hooves, back aching as though she had just taken a steel pipe to the spine, and turned her eyes to the doorway. Her jaw fell.

The rest of the furniture that had barricaded the inn’s door were floating in the air, caught in a green aura. It was the warlock. It was Gwyndolin. Spitfire let out a vehement swear and charged forward, jumping into the air and flapping her wings. Without even looking towards her, Gwyndolin’s horn let out a surge of golden magic, forming a golden chain, which whipped Spitfire out of the air as easily as though she had been a fly. At the exact same moment, the warlock placed a hoof near her mouth, looking almost bashful as she sent the flaming furniture roaring across the room in the direction of Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Twilight Sparkle, and Fire Streak.

Twilight redoubled her efforts on the shield and it took the weight of the attack, the reflected chairs leaving charred streaks on the floor, igniting the yellow rug. Gwyndolin’s eyes travelled to the floor, looking bored, almost empty. Her expression did not change.

“You know why we are here,” she said in a bored voice. “We have claim to the lives of the terrorists you’ve been travelling with. Azure Wings has also taken an interest in the rainbow-maned pegasus within your shield. “Give them up or we shall take them by force. We will not spare your lives in the process.”

Rainbow looked towards the kitchen, to Soarin and Rapidfire locked in combat against the guards. Dameer and Numane were trying to help them. On the right side of the room, Lightning Streak was trying to get Spitfire to her hooves; the golden chain appearing to have dazed her. There had to be a way out of this. As the seconds ticked by, she expected the rest of her friends to return and unite the powerless Elements on hers’ and Fluttershy’s chests, and on Twilight’s tiara. She expected Luna to show up and save them. She expected the New Lunar Republic to arrive and give them some backup, swarming the guards behind Gwyndolin with their numbers.

No help was coming.

“You’re wasting my valuable time,” Gwyndolin pressed on, looking at the smoking rug on the floor.

With another surge from her horn, the entire carpet was engulfed in a fierce green flame. Rainbow let out a scream, scrambling away before the flames could lick her body. Twilight attempted to use her shield to smother the flames, but the moment Gwyndolin’s flames touched the shield, it disintegrated. Twilight’s magic was useless against the warlock’s.

“I will bring Lord Azure Wings here,” Gwyndolin said to one of the soldiers behind her. “The flames should keep these criminals inside the inn, but prevent their escape regardless. They lost their right to mercy when they refused to cooperate, but the commander will wish to watch them die himself.”

“No!” Twilight roared, horn glowing raspberry as she seized the white mare with her levitation magic. “You... aren’t... getting him, Gwyndolin!”

“And what’s going to stop me? A pathetic amateur spellcaster like yourself?” Gwyndolin questioned, looking with interest at the aura she had been caught in.

“I am the protegé of the great Princess Celestia!” Twilight retaliated, a note of pride in her voice rarely heard there before. “You can’t just swat my magic away like a fl—”

In an instant, Gwyndolin not only dispelled the aura around her, but sent out a beam of magic that flattened Twilight against the far wall.

“Such arrogance... it will destroy you, child,” she said, turning away from them and surrounding her body in a green light.

In a flash, the warlock vanished. Rainbow Dash scrambled over to Twilight, Fluttershy following her, hooves pressed to her mouth. The flames were slowly spreading from the carpet to the wooden floor, inching toward the back wall.

“Twilight! Speak to me! OH CELESTIA, SPEAK TO ME!” Rainbow begged, panicking.

“I’m... fine!” Twilight gasped, rolling over on to her front. “We’ve gotta...get out of here! We’re gonna b-burn to death!”

“Twilight, use your teleportation spell!” Rainbow suggested, beckoning over Dameer once he had caught her eye.

“Rainbow, that’s it!” Twilight said in a shaky voice, getting to her hooves. “I never thought about that! We’ve gotta collect everypony together though... Gosh, I hope I have enough energy to do it!”

Dameer and Numane ran over to them, still clutching their weapons. Soarin and Rapidfire followed closely behind, having dealt with the rest of the soldiers in the kitchen. Rainbow was surprised to see absolutely no blood on any of their spears.

“Soarin, bring Spitfire and Lightning Streak over here. Quick!” Rainbow told him, placing a hoof against his face. “Twilight’s gonna get us outta here!”

Soarin nodded quickly and, skirting the fire carefully, ran over to where Spitfire was standing, supported by Lightning Streak. Fire Streak had made his way over to the group as well. Judging by the sword in his hoof, he had grabbed it from one of the unconscious guards. Soarin returned with the Captain and Lightning Streak and Twilight did a very quick headcount.

“I hope the guards outside can run in and save their friends... Alright, here goes...” she said, her face illuminated by the glow of the green fire approaching them. “I’m taking us behind the execution platform in the Jewel District, it’s not where they’ll expect us to flee...”

A purple flash obscured Rainbow’s vision as Twilight teleported them. As it faded, the sight the gallows did not greet their eyes. Instead, it was the exterior of the Amber Cottage, smoke billowing out of the open door. Rainbow never had a chance to question what had gone wrong. Instead, one fact permeated her brain: there were about two dozen guards in view. They had formed a perimeter around the area near the inn.

“W-what...” Twilight choked, falling to the ground with exhaustion.

“Gwyndolin already cast a spell to prevent you from escaping by teleportation magic!” a horse soldier on the far sidewalk said with a laugh. Next to his hooves, Amadeus was in a kneeling position with two others pointing spears at his throat. “Many thanks for bringing the criminals out into the open.”

It was over. Rainbow wanted to cry, but she knew her mind was in no fit state for any kind of emotion. They were surrounded by weapons. There were satyrs with crossbows amongst the guards as well, able to shoot them down should they attempt to take to the air. Twilight’s magic was no use to them. She fell beside Twilight, completely lost and staring in defeat at the laughing soldier.

Soarin, Rapidfire, Dameer, Numane, and Fire Streak moved to form a circle around Spitfire, Lightning Streak, Fluttershy, Twilight, and Rainbow herself. Each one had their weapons raised. All eyes were upon them. Rainbow’s vision was shaking. She wanted to yell to Soarin that she loved him, but how could she say that in the face of death? Would it be the honest truth, or only brought on because her life was about to end? How could she even fathom saying it if she had the smallest shred of doubt? He would deserve better. Instead, she found Twilight’s hoof and squeezed it, her other searching for Fluttershy’s. She would not let go of them. If she was to die, she would die with her friends. A single tear burned her skin as she thought about Scootaloo.

A bright flash of green lit the street. Gwyndolin’s cloak flapped around her hooves and she threw her black hair out of her face. Soarin’s head jerked in their direction and his eyes widened as he stared into the face of his brother.

“Hey, Soarin. Long time no see? How great to meet up with you again,” Wave Chill spoke ironically, his dull green eyes boring into Soarin’s. “Too shocked to speak? Eh, no matter. You’d probably screw up whatever you said, anyway.” Wave Chill turned to address a group of soldiers directly behind him. “Let’s put on a show for your peers. Kill the terrorists, their associates, and the brats.”

As the soldiers ran forward, Rainbow jumped up, pulling both Fluttershy and Twilight to their hooves. No, she could not die here! It can’t end this way! Before she could do a single thing, however, her body was paralyzed. She rose thirty feet into the air, unable to move a muscle, and saw Spitfire rise beside her. On the cobbled street, Gwyndolin was staring up at them, her horn glowing. Wave Chill put on a psychotic looking smile and spread his wings.

“No!” Rainbow screamed, struggling hopelessly. He was going to kill Spitfire and there was nothing she could do to stop him. “Spitfire, I can't move! I'm sorry!”

Wave Chill was flying up to meet them, removing a sabre from a scabbard as he went. Spitfire's glare was blazing like the sun. Whatever was about to happen, her eyes told the world that she was not afraid. All Rainbow Dash could do was struggle fruitlessly in an attempt to regain control of her body.

“We meet again, Spitfire.” His voice was cold and menacing. Placing the sharp edge of his blade against her throat, Wave Chill leaned forward, a revolting hunger scrawled across his features. Slowly, he dragged his tongue across her neck, a free hoof moving to her stomach. “Truth be told,” he hissed quietly into her ear, “I was jealous when you and Soarin started to date. I wanted my own round with you, Spit.” Spitfire was powerless to fight him off as he started to kiss her.

“YOU DISGUSTING PIG!” she snarled through clenched teeth, the rage in her voice almost palpable. “JUST KILL ME ALREADY! I'm not afraid of you...”


“Ha! Relax, Spit. I'm only kidding... I wouldn't touch a greasy slut like you, whatever you looked like.”

Wave flapped his wings, moving a foot back, and placed a well-aimed punch at her mouth. Spitfire roared out in pain, blood mixing with spit as she gasped for breath. Rainbow wanted to tear the face off of him, but the warlock's spell was showing no signs of weakness. Below, Rapidfire had glanced around at the sound of Spitfire's cry, but another soldier jumped in to engage him.

“I'm going to enjoy watching you bleed to death. You shouldn't worry about that just yet, though... and neither should you, Rainbow Dash. I see you shaking with indignation over there. Don't worry, I don’t want the pair of you dead just yet,” he said with a generous tone, as though presenting them with a rare treat. “You two are going to watch as I murder the third point in your little love triangle.”

“N-no...” Rainbow muttered, eyes bulging as they snapped to Soarin. “P-please...”

“Don’t you d-dare... ” Spitfire spat out a mouthful of blood, coughing.

“C'mon, I didn't hit you that hard. Just you try and stop me, though,” Wave Chill laughed. “By the way, I'm killing you next, Spitfire.”

There was no stopping him. Wave Chill turned in midair and dove. As he rocketed toward the ground below, he twirled the blade in his hoof. Those with weapons were still in heavy combat, completely unaware of the exchange that had gone on above. Rainbow’s voice caught in her throat as she watched the dark blue streak from Wave Chill’s tail fur burning through the air as he accelerated.

There was no stopping him. Purple tendrils of magic started to flow from his head, no doubt from his eyes. His speed had become too quick to possibly catch, even if she hadn’t been completely immobilized. With a mere wave of his free-hoof, Wave’s own forces, along with Numane and Dameer, were knocked aside by an invisible force. Swinging it the other way, Fire Streak and Lightning Streak went flying. Soarin and Rapidfire were left standing, still fighting, back to back. Surrounded.

There was no stopping him. Rainbow whispered a soft prayer, tears spilling from her eyes. Spitfire was speechless, bruised, and frightened. Twilight attempted to stop him with a spell, but it did nothing to his body as the former Wonderbolt came within two feet of his target. And just like that, it was over. It was all over.

A scarlet spurt of blood ripped through the air. As the sword stabbed forward, every soldier was knocked away by the same force. The sun could barely reflect off of the blade now that it was coated in crimson. If Rainbow could find her voice, she would have been screaming.

Soarin’s eyes were massive with shock. It seemed to take him an eternity to hit the ground. His cauliflower blue fur was splattered with dark blood. There was nothing anyone could have done to prevent it. Soarin's eyes simply looked in horror into his twin's.

“No... no! NO! NO!” Spitfire screamed in purest agony. “NO! CELESTIA, NO!”

“Spitfire...” Rainbow whispered, the last ounces of her hope flowing out of her through her tears.

DAAAD!

Rapidfire’s spear hit the ground with a dull, echoing clatter. He had shoulder-checked Soarin out of the way at the last moment, leaving himself defenseless. He stared down at Wave Chill's hoof, the sword buried to the hilt, deep into his chest. The other end was staining his feathers red as it dripped. Moving his eyes away from Soarin’s, Wave Chill stared down the aged stallion he had just impaled. He was so close that they were muzzle to muzzle.

“Wrong target... but, no matter, Rapidfire, old friend...” Wave Chill whispered softly, in a voice that nevertheless carried all the way up to the floating pegasi. They were still immobilized by Gwyndolin’s magic. “No hard feelings, but consider that repayment for putting me through a window yesterday.”

“Sp... Sp...” Rapidfire spluttered, blood pouring from his mouth as his only working eye found Spitfire's figure. “Spitfiah... I neva once… told ya... what it meant... you, as a daught—”

Wave Chill wrapped a hoof around Rapidfire's neck and pulled the blade from his chest. “We’re not doing this last word nonsense,” Wave Chill growled, his voice wrapped in an icy veil. He plunged the sword into a new wound, silencing him forever. Without another word, Wave Chill pressed his hoof hard against Rapidfire’s face and thrust him back, off of the blade.

Rapidfire fell to the ground with a terrible finality. His limbs briefly stirred and his head bled from the impact with the ground, but it was far too late for such a wound to be a danger to him. His face stared blankly into the sky above, unable to see the paralyzed mare whose life he had not only saved, but given purpose to. Spitfire’s scream of grief echoed throughout the district.

He was dead.

Author's Note:

Cannot thank SolidFire enough for editing this beast.

PreviousChapters Next