• Published 31st Mar 2013
  • 9,862 Views, 1,155 Comments

What's Really the Most Important? - KrishnaKarnak



Rainbow Dash's life with Scootaloo has begun. But with a nasty disorder growing in the young Scoot, will Rainbow be able to balance affections between her and Rainbow's crush, Soarin? A mission to Saddle Arabia is about to make everything m

  • ...
20
 1,155
 9,862

PreviousChapters Next
34 Justice in Gymkhana

There was an explosion going off. Mountains were crumbling, the earth was cracking, and huge, sharp shards of the sky were breaking away and falling like meteorites. The seas boiled, the wind became a tempest, then disappeared forever.

In other words, Rainbow Dash was absolutely livid. She had placed every ounce of her rage into her hooves as she twisted in midair, bending her back legs so that her thighs felt like an elastic band being pulled to its limit. She shot them forward, spurred on by the momentum of her kick off and vigorously flapping wings. She closed the distance between herself and the threat to her in the infinitesimal space between her brain signals controlling her own heartbeat.

She connected with the hardest buck she had ever done in her life. The warm flow of blood heated the underside of her hooves as she felt Wave Chill's nose break beneath her fury. They landed hard upon the ground, Dash practically standing on his face as they tore across the surface of the ground in an eight-foot skid.

“You destroyed your brother!” Rainbow Dash hissed, finding her voice immediately. She dropped down and seized the stunned Wave Chill by the front of his foreign military uniform with her left hoof. “I'll never forgive you for hurting Soarin!”

She punched her right hoof into his face with all the strength she had. She did not wait around to see his reaction or what new damage she had done to the pegasus. Rainbow Dash sprang off him and kicked off hard from the ground again, shooting straight into the air as she flapped her wings with all her might. None of Wave Chill's guards were pegasi, but if he recovered quickly enough, he would be on, and he had said that he was able to catch up to Fleetfoot effortlessly.

'Fleetfoot is a better flier.' Dash's thoughts were razor sharp as her anger began to ebb away as the warm, dry air of the desert tore at her eyes. 'I have to get back to Soarin. I have to warn everyone about the Wonderbolts. Dammit, dammit, DAMMIT!'

Tucking her wings close to her, she raced like a missile through the archway connecting the Mesa District to the district directly west of it, a long streak of her rainbow-colours trailing her. Rainbow knew that she would need to circle around half the city to reach the Crossroads and the safety of the Soarin's hooves. She flapped her wings again and twisted down an alleyway between two large buildings. Glancing behind herself, she saw Wave Chill already hot on her tail, leaving a dark blue haze behind him as the blood flowed freely from his face. His body rippled weirdly. Not desiring to find out what that meant, threw her eyes forward.

WHAM.

Her head had to have been cleaved into two halves. There was no way she could be in so much pain otherwise. Rainbow Dash did not know how, but Wave Chill had gotten ahead of her. He had punched her so hard in the jaw as she turned to the front again that she doubted the world would ever stop tilting sideways. She could not control her own wings and hit the ground hard, completely dazed.

“Bitch. You... bitch. I told you. I told you. I will catch you. It doesn't matter how fast you can fly, I caught the fastest pegasus in the world. Even faster than me. The Voidwalker guides my hoof, Rainbow Dash.” Wave Chill landed softly next to her, wiping the blood off his mouth. “You never had a prayer.”

The fight had left her. All of her anger was gone, replaced with shock and confusion. She did not feel fear, even though all hope was lost. She was disappointed in herself, in her own ignorance for going it alone into the Mesa District without the protection of her disguise. All of the breath left her body as he kicked her hard in the stomach, rolling her onto her back with his hoof. She was gasping for air, unable to think.

“I was looking forward to having you as my own little concubine. Nothing but a toy to play with until I got bored. I would have completely broken you, Rainbow Dash. Not just physically, either. Yes, I would have blinded and crippled you after awhile. But, no, I mean I would've broken your spirit entirely. Rainbow Dash, nothing but an empty shell of the confident and smart-ass mare she once was... I can almost picture you begging me for death, not that you'd have had a tongue to speak with.”

Rainbow stared up into his bruised face, trying to control her breathing. He placed a hoof on her throat as he towered above her, increasing the pressure. She tried to pull him off of her with her front hooves, but he was too strong.

“I'm going to kill you. Right now. You pissed me off back there, Rainbow Dash. Had you given up like a good little girl, you would have lived to see this city fall to the ground under the Voidwalker's strength.”

Dash's eyes widened as she stared into his own. His purples were elongating, reddening. The whites of his eyes had turned to green, while his dull-green irises became a lighter shade of red than his pupils. She had seen the glowing purple energy energy in her head before they formed, flowing from the eyes of his eyes. It was precisely the appearance that King Sombra had. The pressure against her throat was increasing, causing little white dots to obscure what she could see.

“You like it?” he asked, a smile creasing his lips. “The Voidwalker's boon, Rainbow Dash. My power... is like nothing you can possibly imagine. He can only share the boon with one being at a time, sadly. This meant that for a thousand years, no one could enjoy it, not while King Sombra was sealed away. Yes, indeed, you could say I'm not the same Wave Chill you are familiar with... no, I am so much more.”

“Ya absalutely righ'. Ya really are so much mo'. For example, ya dead, Wave Chill!” Rapidfire snarled from out of sight.

Before those glowing green eyes could look away from her own, Rainbow Dash felt the pressure ease off her throat as a body came flying across her vision. Rapidfire had tackled her enemy off of her. Dash rolled over on to her front and coughed, hearing the two pegasi slam against a wall. She hadn't registered the glowing raspberry aura around her body until she was dragged out of the alley.

“Oh, Celestia! Twilight, is she gonna be alright? We shoulda never split up, y'all were MAD to suggest it!”

“Now's not the time, Applejack! She should be fine, but what happened to her disguise? They aren't supposed to wear off for another hour or two!”

“How the hell should I know?!”

“Calm down! Hold her up, I'm going to try to teleport us back to Amadeus!”

“Rapidfire...” Dash mumbled stupidly, lightheaded and unfocused. The voices of her two friends sounded distant.

“Where in tarnation's Pinkie Pie? She was with her!”

“Safe, I hope... alright, here goes!”

She was already very weak from crashing to the ground and nearly being strangled. Teleportation always sapped some of the stamina of those affected by it. Rainbow was unable to stop herself slipping into the darkness gathering at the edge of her mind as the spell took hold.


Rainbow Dash came to. Her head was pounding like a beating heart and she felt hair tickling her face, though she didn't immediately open her eyes. Her head was resting on something soft, like a pillow. It was taking a lifetime for the nerves in her body to reach her brain, so she had no idea what she was lying on.

“Does it hurt, Rapidfire?” Sweetie Belle's voice asked.

“A li'l. As I've told yas, I'm fine!” Rapidfire hissed in response. “Ya kids are drivin' me nuts.”

“He's right, leave 'em alone, you two,” Applejack scolded from the side.

“Alright, but... gosh,” Apple Bloom whimpered softly.

“Twilight fixed me up best she could, so stop ya belly achin',” Rapidfire replied crisply. “I'll just borrow Botta Rocket's eye patch, he owes me a fava. Hell, he usually owes everypony a fava.”

Eye patch? Why would Rapidfire need an eye patch? Why would he need fixing up? Rainbow was still dizzy. It was hard to string two thoughts together, everything was slow.

“You two go on 'n' play in the other room,” Applejack commanded. “No arguments, either. Now... are you staying here with your mom, Scootaloo?”

“Yep,” came Scootaloo's voice, much closer than Rainbow expected.

“You're really brave, Scootaloo, sticking by Rainbow's side! No wonder she's so proud of you.” That voice belonged to Soarin. He sounded close by, too.

Slowly, she opened her eyes and quivered, wanting to make sense of everything. 'Well, damn,' she thought as pain shot through them. 'Celestia, that hurts.'

“Dashie?” Soarin stirred beside her and she felt the mattress she was laying upon shift.

“Man, my head? Killin' me,” Dash groaned. As her eyes adjusted, she saw the fuzzy outline of Scootaloo's hair. The filly was lying on top of her, her body warm to the touch. “Hello, Scoots! Ya miss me, or something?”

“Don't joke, you big dummy...” Scootaloo mumbled. “You almost d-died, Sis...”

“Wave Chill hurt nothin' but my pride. And, uh, my head. He punched me... pretty hard. No use trying to hide the fact that I was fighting him from ya, Scoots...” Dash said with a heavy sigh, staring at the ceiling.

“You promised you'd be careful...” Scootaloo croaked, burying her face into Rainbow's chest.

“I know, sweetheart... I screwed up, I should have come back the moment I lost my disguise, I'm sorry, Scootaloo...” Rainbow apologized, wrapping her arms around the filly.

“What happened to your disguise, Dashie?” Soarin asked gently, wrapping a wing around them both.

“Your stupid 'special science'!” Dash snapped. “I took that alchemy teleporter transmutation thingy and it removed Twilight's magic. We gotta travel the city the long way.”

“Oh... shoot, I didn't realize that would happen,” Soarin admitted.

Dash sat up, running a hoof through her frizzled mane, keeping the other wrapped around her child's back. She saw Twilight sitting on the opposite bed, frowning as she scanned a newspaper with the Wonderbolt insignia on the front page. Applejack was reading it over her shoulder, shaking her head in dismay. Soarin was laying on Dash's right. She twisted her head in Rapidfire's direction and recoiled.

“Not pretty, eh?” he asked with a soft chuckle. “I wish I cud say I repaid Wave in kind, but I had t' focus on gettin' da hell away from 'em. He was imposs'bly strong.”

The left-side of Rapidfire's ebony face had a terrific gash, extending from his forehead to the edge of his cheek, straight across one of his dull blue eyes. The wound looked recently cleaned, but... Rainbow Dash had to look away, trying to erase the image of his eye from her memory.

“Rapidfire, I'm so sorry...” She forced herself to look at him, it was the least she could do. “You saved my hide back there...”

“An eye fa ya life seems a reasonable trade, Rainba Dash. I got anotha one,” Rapidfire assured her. “I'm an old stallion, all rocks get weatha'd over time.”

“How did this happen, Dashie?” Soarin implored her, unable to suppress his rage as he took a sobering look over at Rapidfire's face. “How did my... brother... get you?”

“When the disguises fell, we met up with a boy in the Station, that portal, or tunnel, or whatever intersection. Me and Pinkie, I mean. Oh, right! Gosh, you all must be worried sick about...” Rainbow Dash trailed off as Twilight got off the opposite bed to approach her, leaving Applejack to re-read the paper herself.

“We already know about the outcasts; Pinkie Pie showed up ten minutes ago,” Twilight supplied. “Grape Blossom is in one of the spare rooms as we speak, with Pinkie, Fluttershy, and Rarity. I think they're giving her son a bath.”

“She's here!” Rainbow gasped, relief filling her. “Thank Celestia, they listened! Right, anyway, so I went to the Mesa District to check out what the Voidwalker could do.”

“Is it bad?” Scootaloo asked meekly.

Rainbow hesitated. How much information should she still try to hide from the filly? “Yeah, it's bad, Scoots... but, uh, can you go play with Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle? I'd rather you not hear this next part.”

Scootaloo paused, on the verge of speech. She must have realized it would have been no good. Instead, she leaned up and kissed Dash on the cheek, before slipping off the bed. Rainbow Dash waited until she had closed the door behind her before continuing.

“I went to the news centre and got a copy of the newest paper. By the looks of it... you all already know about the Wonderbolts,” she said, gesturing to the paper Applejack was holding.

“We do,” Soarin confirmed with a nod. “We're going to the execution, as it'll be our only chance to save them. Twilight believes the 'Moonlight Sonata' that the paper mentions is Princess Luna, so if we have to fight Wave Chill and allies... we should have back up.”

“Princess Luna said she could summon the Elements when we need them. I convinced Pinkie Pie to stay here with us, so if we need to use the Elements, all six of us will be there.”

“Awesome!” Dash said appreciatively. “So, to finish my story, Wave Chill saw me because I never had my disguise, I bucked him in the face like I did to that dragon, y'know, the one Fluttershy scared the crap out of. He chased me into that district you found us in, clocked me in the jaw and sent a freakin' earthquake through my head, and... I kinda can't remember much after that.”

“Dat district was 'Research Row',” Rapidfire explained. “Twilight insisted on inspectin' da schools. Lucky she did, eh?”

“I wanted to see the Gymkhana Grand University!” Twilight admitted. “Selfish of me, given our time limit...”

“Do you hear me complaining?” Rainbow questioned. “I'm glad you were there! Otherwise...” she drew a hoof across her throat. “Preeetty sure he woulda killed me.”

“Dat's what he told me. Soarin went nuts when he found out, didn't ya, Soarin?”

“You could say that,” Soarin admitted grimly. “I wanted to believe you when you said my brother could be saved, Dashie... I don't think that's possible anymore.”

Rainbow wrapped her hooves around him, placing a kiss to his forehead. “I'm sorry...” She seemed to be saying that a lot lately. “He said this whole mess was his doing from the get-go. I mean... the Voidwalker could still be controlling him, he has the Voidwalker's 'boon', or whatever. Maybe... maybe his soul is still his own, Soar, even if his mind isn't.”

“Nobel fa ya to defend da stallion who had 'is hoof against ya throat, Rainba,” Rapidfire noticed.

“I decided to stop being so damn depressing, Rapid. Sorry about your eye , and all, but if there's the smallest chance to save Wave Chill, I wanna make sure it can happen. I don't think I felt that way when he was threatening everypony, since I was freakin' pissed, but now that I've calmed down... yeah.”

It wasn't really so much that she wanted to save Wave Chill out of friendly affection for him, she thought. She would hold on to the faintest glimmer of hope in order to spare Soarin this terrible pain. He didn't look it at that moment, but she knew Wave's recent actions had completely shaken him.

“We'll do what we can for him,” Twilight said, a small touch of confidence in her voice. “The Elements of Harmony have never failed us. If Wave Chill's deepest nature is still good, the Elements should drive the Voidwalker's influence from him.”

“What is this 'boon' ya mentioned, Dash?” Applejack demanded from over on the other bed, finally throwing down the paper. “He's gonna be at the execution, so I'd like to know what we're gonna be goin' up against.”

“I'm... not really sure,” Dash admitted. “I remember him mentioning it, but most of what he said after he knocked my head off my shoulders is a bit of a blur.” She gave a shudder, remembering something along the lines of having her beg for death. “I'm sure it was all pretty damn sick, though.”

“It's prob' where he got all his powa,” Rapidfire suggested. “He used magic to conjure dis green blade that fixed itself onto the edge of his hoof. Dat's when the sonuvabitch slashed me. No offense, Soarin.”

“None taken,” Soarin replied with a grim laugh. “You never did tell us how you got away, Rapid...”

“I suppose a story couldn't 'urt. But, once I'm done, we really shud get goin'. The execution's at 7:30; it was nearly five last time I checked, just before Rainba Dash woke up.”

“Yeah, we'll get over there as soon as we can, but I'm curious to hear how ya got away myself!” Rainbow said. “So, cough up, Rapidfire!”

“Well, once Twilight Sparkle and Applejack got ya outta there, I wrassled with 'em best I cud. Dat boon made him really strong, howeva, so I had to play a little dirty... drove my knee into his groin. He responded by slashin' me. I countered by tossin' him through da window of a buildin' on one side of the alley. Den I dove through the window of a diff'rent one. Spread my wings and sped to da opposite side. It was a classroom, I think... pretty sure I spotted a blackboard with my gud eye,” Rapidfire told them, sitting down beside Applejack on the opposite bed. “Once I left da school through da otha window, I went through anotha building! Dis was owned by an old couple, scared dis poor mare outta her wits, prob' 'cause I was bleedin' so bad. Flew up da stairs, out anotha window, and soared as fast as I cud around more alleyways until I saw a tunnel.”

“You were going for the Station?” Rainbow asked, remembering that had been her plan when she was fleeing from Wave Chill: lose him and duck into a tunnel.

“Yup. Was my best hope. I rememba'd the alchemy B.S. from my last trip to Gymkhana. Raced as high as I cud, into da shadows of da ceiling, flew over da alchemist market, and took da portal to Crossroads. 'Ere I am. I bet Wave Chill must be bloody rippin' dat we all gots away, but dem's da breaks, eh?”

“He's probably just happy he got your eye,” Soarin said bitterly.

“Yeah, seriously...” Dash winced, feeling so very guilty. “I'm sorry I pretty much cost you that...”

“For da love o'... da pair of yas sounds sound like dem Crusadas!”

He got up and tore off a piece of a bright amber bed sheet with his teeth. He wrapped it around his head at a slanted angle, covering the wound. Adjusting it slightly with his hooves, he relaxed.

“Shoulda done dis since da beginnin'... I'll get an alchemist to look at it afta dis evenin', eitha to fix it or remove it, dependin' on whetha it can be saved or not.”

“An alchemist? Why not a, y'know, doctor?!” Dash demanded, cocking an eyebrow.

“You'll see...”

Rainbow Dash shrugged and shuffled off the bed at long last, getting to her hooves and standing up straight, stretching. She figured she had been lying in bed uselessly long enough. She wanted to see Grape Blossom and Appleberry before they all set out for the Jewel District. Falling back to four hooves, she shot a look over at Twilight and Applejack.

“I'ma go check up on the others. Then we should get our disguises on and head for Jewel,” she suggested.

Applejack reached into her saddle bag, resting against the bed, and pulled out a pocket watch. “Yeah, we definitely should. They'll be dead by the time we get there!” Applejack had grinned at the humour before she realized the irony and suddenly looked stoney-faced.

“Before you go, Rainbow...” Twilight began quickly, looking from Applejack to Rainbow Dash herself. “I think Soarin and Rapidfire should stay here. Do you two agree?”

“Absolutely,” Applejack said at once, skirting over her momentary embarrassment. “We can't have Wave Chill recognizin' either of ya, now he knows yer both here.”

“None of yous got da authority to keep us anywhere,” Rapidfire snarled, throwing them a venomous look. “I will be dere to save Spitfiah and da others!”

“I've got the authority to keep Soarin here!” Rainbow snapped back, feeling incensed.

“Like hell you do!” Soarin replied with a whip-like crack in his voice, leaping to his hooves. Rainbow took a step back, alarmed at this. He seemed to notice her surprise at his outburst. “I'm sorry, but I can't just sit here while you all go risk yourselves for the team. Spitfire's my longest friend, I'm going.”

“Wave Chill knows you're both here, though!” Twilight reminded them, her voice cracking somewhat. “I don't have time to work up disguises for both of you, Rapidfire's wrappings make him stand out, he'd recognize those...” She jabbed a hoof at their cutie marks: Rapidfire's light grey flame and Soarin's wings and lightning bolt. “It's too dangerous!”

“I'll see if Amadeus has cloaks, den,” Rapidfire said, turning to leave immediately. He paused at the door. “I'll meet ya all in da lobby.”

Soarin made to follow him. Rainbow reached a hoof out and gave his mane a tug. “Soarin, please...” she implored, looking him deeply in the eyes. “Can you seriously not freakin' go?”

“Dashie, I told you I wanted you at my side for this whole damn thing,” Soarin reminded her. “But that works in reverse, too. I will be at your side. Wave Chill will be there with his warlock and guards... you honestly expect me to just sit comfortably here at the inn?”

Rainbow sighed, feeling Applejack's hoof on her shoulder. She let go of Soarin's mane and turned around to face her. Applejack always had a way of calming her down, and now was no different.

“He's made up his mind. They both have, Dash. I know you're worried about his well being, but you've gotta trust his decisions, even if ya don't agree with 'em... even if none of us agree with 'em!”

Rainbow looked sadly in the direction of the doorway, which he had just left through. “Why's he gotta be so stupid...?”

“You said yourself the Wonderbolts are like a big family. I mean, I thought it was a good idea for them to stay behind, but I understand why they both want to go,” Twilight explained.

“Horseapples...” Dash sighed. “I'm just sure Wave Chill is quite capable of murder... he was determined to track Soarin down, too. I'm trying to remain positive, because I know this is all so important, but...” She sighed again. “Whatever, I'm going to check up on the others. I'll meet you guys back in here in a bit and we'll all disguise.”

They both nodded and Rainbow strolled out of the room. Once into the hallway, she listened at the door of the adjacent room. She could hear the Cutie Mark Crusaders having some sort of scuffle. Concern filled her until she heard the giggling and Rainbow rolled her eyes. Making a mental note to make sure she said 'goodbye' to Scootaloo before leaving, she walked across to the other side of the hallway and listened at a door. Rarity's voice met her ears and she rapped a hoof on the door.

“Oh! Hello,” Fluttershy greeted, opening the door. “I'm so glad you're awake!”

“Thanks, Flutters!” Dash said appreciatively, giving the shy pony a quick hug. “We'll be leaving soon, just wanted to see how you're all doin'.”

Dash followed Fluttershy into the room and closed the door behind her. Rarity was levitating a large wooden tub of water into the air and debating how she would get it out of the room without spilling it. Dash didn't bother asking how she got it into the room in the first place.

“Rainbow Dash!”

Following the voice, she saw Grape Blossom sitting on one of the beds, wrapped in a white towel. Appleberry was sitting in Pinkie Pie's lap beside her, also wrapped in a cloth. He was awake now and staring up at the pink pony, studying a little wooden pony she was dancing through the air and giggling.

“Hey, kiddo,” Rainbow greeted her, walking over and sitting on a bed opposite her. “So, they gave you a bath as well?”

“Your friend Rarity insisted that I 'smelled like a spit-roasted swine',” Grape informed her, throwing her eyes to the heavens. “Marius would say that smells awesome, but I'll trust the pony who looks like she's a frickin' beauty queen!”

“Are the others going to come, too?” Dash asked, leaning back against the bed comfortably, with both front hooves behind her to keep her balanced.

“I think Dameer and Neighsh will, Numane's bound to come since he kinda digs me, but I'm not so sure about the rest. Pinkie brought me here on my own because Appleberry's fever spiked.”

“How's he doing now?” Dash looked over at Pinkie, who was bouncing the foal on her lap.

“He's as perky as a pickle!” Pinkie said, beaming down at him as she removed the wet cloth around him. “All dry, too!”

“I was an idiot, Rainbow Dash...” Grape said with self-disgust in her voice, throwing her face in her hooves.

“W-what?” Dash stammered, taken aback. “Why?”

“I should have taken Appleberry and set out for the surface the moment we finished talking. He needs a doctor and medicine, but it's too late in the day to get anything now! Every time his fever goes up or he's crying for no reason, I know it's getting worse and worse...”

“Don't sweat it, kid! You're here now, aren't ya? He'll make it until the morning, then we'll get him help together, alright?” Rainbow promised her. “I just hope tonight goes smoothly.”

“You're... going after Azure Wings, aren't you guys? Can you beat him? He's already taken you out, Rainbow Dash! Don't get yourself killed, please.”

“We...” she hesitated, frowning at Grape, wishing she could give a concrete answer. “We're gonna rescue the Wonderbolts, but if we've gotta fight him... we'll fight. Hopefully we'll have the Elements with us and this nightmare will be over tonight. It almost... seems silly, when I think about it... I thought you and your friends would be useful in helping us out. I mean, you might still be, but... our time is so short, there's not much we can really do to make a difference beyond taking down Wave Chill and Gwyndolin.”

“Maybe they could help the New Lunar Republic?” Fluttershy suggested, causing Rainbow Dash to jump. As usual, her shy and quiet demeanour meant that she had completely forgot that Fluttershy was in the room.

“Maybe...” Dash shrugged. “We don't even know their plans yet.”

“Uh... who's Wave Chill?” Grape asked after a pause.

“That's Azure Wings' real name. He is... well, was, a Wonderbolt. Soarin is his brother, he's the second-in-command.”

“Soarin? That's the cute guy you're dating, right?” Grape demanded.

“We aren't dating,” Rainbow said quickly, sighing. “If things were different, yeah, we would be, but... how can we even think about being together when everything's going crazy all around us? But, uh... how'd you even know about that?”
“She asked about you...” Fluttershy murmured softly. “So I told her all about you. For example, training to be a Wonderbolt... the Sonic Rainboom... being a weather pony... oh, and all about Scootaloo and Soarin. Et cetera.”

“My life story, then!” Rainbow grinned, shaking her head in bemusement. “As long as you didn't tell her about the Mare-Do-Well thing.”

“That's when your friends were dressing up as a costumed hero, right?” Grape asked excitedly.

Dammit, Fluttershy!”

Language!” Pinkie hissed, covering Appleberry's ears. “There is a child present!”

“We should... get going,” Rainbow muttered, breathing deeply as she stood up. “I'll catch up with ya later, Grape. I'm glad you came.”

“Best of luck with everything!” Grape wished her, accepting her son from Pinkie Pie. “Aunt Pinkie's gotta go, Appleberry... yes, I know, I know.” For he had started to whimper, screwing up his face and biting his lip. “Mommy's gotta feed you, you can play with Pinkie Pie later.”

“Whoops!” Pinkie giggled, realizing she was still holding the wooden pony. She handed it to Appleberry, who relaxed at once, smiling with delight. “Buh-bye!


“We all set to go?” Soarin asked as Rainbow Dash and her friends joined him some five minutes later, fresh disguise spells applied. “It won't be long before it's seven... forty-eight hours to go.”

“Yeah, let's not do the countdown thing... “ Rainbow Dash said, flinching. “We're just waiting on the Crusaders to finish trying to kill each other.”

As if on cue, the left door to the lobby opened up and Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, and Apple Bloom joined them. Rainbow was very happy to see the hopeful look Scootaloo threw her. Sweetie ran to her sister and Rarity bent low to nuzzle her.

“For Heaven's sake, be careful, Rarity...” Sweetie implored her. “I'm not even kidding, I need you to come back...”

“We'll be fine, sweetheart,” Rarity assured her, wrapping a hoof around the unicorn filly. “This will be all about proper stealth and subtlety, after all.”

Rainbow Dash was studying Scootaloo carefully. Would her child be able to maintain her bravery, or was Scootaloo going to suffer another attack? The orange filly approached her and Rainbow dropped low.

“You gonna be able to stay brave for me, squirt?” Rainbow asked her very gently, wrapping her wings around Scootaloo.

“I'll try... please be okay...” Scootaloo gave a shudder and Rainbow kissed her forehead. “I k-know you're gonna try to save the W-Wonderbolts... d-don't do anything stupid, please!”

“We won't fight the bad guys unless we absolutely gotta, I promise. Can you believe me?” Rainbow Dash asked her, feeling the filly collapse into her chest. Scootaloo nodded softly.

Apple Bloom didn't seem able to find any words. Applejack seemed to understand. She stood on her hind legs and allowed the yellow filly to leap into her arms. The three pairs remained wrapped around the fillies for a moment later until, one by one, they all broke apart.

“Good luck, all of you,” Amadeus spoke as he walked out of the back room. “I will keep your youngsters safe... and that new girl, too.”

“Let's roll,” Rainbow said with a deep breath.

“How are we gonna rescue the Wonderbolts without fighting Wave Chill and his goons?” Applejack asked the group as they departed the Amber Cottage for the dusty street beyond.

“AJ...” Dash sighed. “I have no idea.”

“Where's the Jewel District, precisely? I mean, had the circumstances surrounding our little foray into this city been different, the Jewel District would sound like my kind of spot!” Rarity exclaimed.

“Da rich folks live dere,” Rapidfire huffed, throwing on a cloak. “We go East. Alls we gotta do once we get close is follow da crowd, since executions in Saddle 'Rabia are public. I'm expectin' a good showin' to see da 'terrorists' hung.”

“How'd you know the executions are public?” Applejack asked.

Rapidfire took his time answering. “I've... been to one, dat's all. Years and years ago.”

Rainbow was curious, but she could tell that he wasn't keen on discussing it. Instead, she glanced over at Soarin, who was busy adjusting his own cloak. She wondered how he would react upon seeing his brother again. How exactly would he handle being in range of the stallion who had not only tried to kill her, but blinded Rapidfire in one eye?

“Why are executions carried out in the evenings?” Twilight asked interestedly.

“More religious nonsense,” Rapidfire spat, leading them down the road. “Dey believe da condemned are not worthy of Osiris' light, which is considered strongest between da mornin' and noon.”

“There's nothing wrong with Gymkhanites worshipping Osiris, Rapid...” Dash said before she could stop herself, thinking of the outcasts.

“I know dat, but I have me own reasons for distrustin' the whole lot of dese sun followers!” Rapidfire spoke with a finality in his voice.

“Uh... fair enough,” Dash replied, shrugging.

Once down the 'cross' street, they turned right and Rapidfire lead them up to the steps ascending to a higher section of the district. In the distance, the palace loomed overhead. It was tall, golden in colour, with many spires and great violet banners flying in the gentle breeze of the evening. For perhaps the thousandth time, Rainbow Dash wondered what the interior looked like or what the Ruling Council's intentions could be. Were they bewitched, like she was still positive Wave Chill was? She didn't care how much he claimed the coup was his own idea; she trusted Soarin's proclamations that Wave Chill was never a cruel pony before.

“If we get through the next two days, it would be awful nice to enjoy the city for a bit, eh? See the palace, maybe.” Applejack had clearly noticed her staring at the large building. “We've barely seen a thing this place has to offer,” she continued, giving the rim of her stetson a twirl, “seein' the Festival in full swing was alright, but Gymkhana is huge. So much to do see.”

“Remember, girls... this isn't a vacation,” Soarin reminded them.

“Yeah, no kiddin', 'cause we clearly didn't know,” Rainbow replied sarcastically, although she winked and grinned sideways at Applejack.

“I'm just saying, Dashie...” Soarin sighed. “Please, don't get upset.”

“I'm not! I'm just messin' with ya, Soar!”

The party turned left and descended a twisting road circling around the outskirts of the palace grounds. The entire trek so far had presented them with the sight of a handful of horses or satyrs mingling about as curfew drew nearer and nearer, but as they got closer to the Jewel District, the crowd was beginning to swell. What was more, there were guards, dozens and dozens of them. Horses and pegasi, all heavily armoured and carrying spears.

Rainbow felt her stomach clench painfully and she experienced a surge of guilt for acting so lighthearted given what was coming. Resolving to take this a bit more seriously, she focused one last time on the palace. They would need to skirt the northern edge as they continued to move around it, which told her the Jewel District was the northernmost section of the city.

She was suddenly very thankful that Wave Chill had not decided to change the time of the execution once he realized they were all in the city. Unless, she dreaded, he already did, and the massive crowd wasn't aware of it yet. What if they arrived in the square before the palace and discovered them already...

She pushed the thought from her mind.

They joined the crowd approaching the dividing archway between the two districts. Rainbow noticed that Soarin and Rapidfire were not the only ones wearing cloaks. Indeed, directly in front of them she could see several horses and two anubis wearing cloaks. This would help the two Wonderbolts blend in better, which was now one less worry burdening her or burying her recent optimism.

“Rememba, stick togetha and try to be a bit more serious, Rainba Dash...” Rapidfire whispered back to the group as more and more joined the moving throng.

“Don't worry about it, Rapid,” she returned. “Already taken care of.”

“I always find a bit of humour and fun can defuse an otherwise tense situation!” Pinkie whispered excitedly. “Execution, schmexecution.”

“Are you seriously for real right now, Pinkie?” Applejack demanded in a low hiss.

“What?” Pinkie asked defensively. “We're gonna rescue them, so why worry?”

Keep ya traps shut!” Rapidfire growled. “If we get caught... this isn't ova yet!”

“Right, good point!” Pinkie agreed, falling silent.

Rainbow Dash averted her eyes from their group, glancing around to double check that none of the other Gymkhanites had picked up on their conversation. Luckily, they all seemed to be absorbed in their own discussions about the upcoming display of justice. She was about to turn her head forward again when something caught her eye.

A momentary gleam of bright silver in the evening sky. It had come from the top of one of the city walls, just to the East of one of the five towers along the city's circumference. It flashed again, this time much closer to the tower, as though it were moving. She paused in her tracks, causing Fluttershy to bump into her and fall to the ground. She blinked once and the gleam had vanished. Turning quickly, she reached out a hoof and pulled Fluttershy back to her hooves, mumbling a quick apology.

'What... in the name of Firefly's classic disco-shorts was that?' Rainbow thought to herself, slightly disconcerted. No one else was looking around in confusion, merely in amusement at Fluttershy's stumble. She looked embarrassed and stared at the ground until the Gymkhanites ignored her.

They passed through the gate and Dash immediately knew they had reached their destination. The crowd was larger than ever as they gathered around a long, flat, raised stone platform. Judging by the worn state of it, it had to be a regular feature of the square. Standing atop the platform, supported by four thick wooden posts, Rainbow saw the gallows. There was a winding staircase leading up to the floor of the structure itself, situated some ten feet above the stone base. Above it was a single beam with four ropes with plenty of slack thrown over it. The fact that the stone platform and the gallows were located in the 'rich' district unnerved her, almost as though it doubled as entertainment.

“JUSTICE!” someone in the crowd roared, a sentiment that was echoed on all sides.

“GLORY TO THE TEMPERED FEATHER!” a pegasus roared, throwing a hoof into the air.

“HAIL AZURE WINGS!” a horse mare cried, stamping her hooves.

“OSIRIS SHINES UPON OUR CITY!” an anubis cheered.

Rainbow Dash, feeling sick, moved to stand with her friends, Soarin, and Rapidfire on the right-most edge of the gathered mass, ensuring the drop area was clearly visible. Spectators continued to flood the square as the minutes passed.

“What time is it?” Rainbow whispered to Soarin as she continued to gaze upon the gallows.

“It's nearly time... they'll bring them out soon, I expect,” Soarin replied in a croaky whisper.

“So, uh... what exactly is our actual course of action? What did you lot decide while I was chillin' out unconscious?” Dash enquired in a low voice.

“Twilight and Rarity will each target two of them. They'll sever the ropes with magic... both sets, the ones around their necks and the ones preventing them from spreading their wings. Once they're free... who knows, Dashie?” Soarin sighed. “We'll need to ensure that not only can Spitfire and the others get away, but that we do, too...”

“This plan.. is bad,” she whispered bluntly. “Like, really bad. But we don't really have a choice, do we? If they chase the Wonderbolts and we try to slow them down, we're gonna give ourselves away. I...” She swore softly. “I dunno, Soarin...”

Her confident little bubble was bursting. How exactly were they supposed to get out of this? If Twilight and Rarity released the Wonderbolts, Wave Chill and his little group would just recapture them, so Rainbow and her friends would have to intervene somehow and expose themselves.

Her musings were cut short as a hush fell over the crowd. She saw everyone craning their necks to spot something in the sky. Looking up as well, she saw him. He was floating high above the district, observing the gathering, wings beating steadily against the sky.

Wave Chill descended upon the gallows stage, folded his wings and looked out over the assembled ponies, horses, and other creatures. He cleared his throat loudly and tore off a pair of sunglasses he had sitting upon his repaired muzzle, stuffing them into a pocket of the uniform he was still wearing. Rainbow Dash could see that, while his face had been cleaned, either his own or Rapidfire's blood remained on his clothing.

“My friends,” he called out, rising to his hind legs and folding both front hooves behind his back, “tonight will be a glorious night! We can finally put behind us that terrible catastrophe. I am referring, of course, to the tragic events of ten days ago, when the Wonderbolts brought the darkness to the Mesa District. How, you may ask, did a mere trope of entertainers, specializing in aerobatics, pull this off? The answer is quite simple. The Wonderbolts are not what they appear to be.”

“No...” Rapidfire hissed, curving one of his hooves.

“What's wrong?” Applejack asked him in a hushed tone.

“He's gonna compromise our Order. Dat bastard... he's gonna tell dem all everything.”

“Bring them out!” Wave Chill roared loudly to a group of pegasi guards near the base of the platform. “They must face each and every one of you as I reveal their true purpose. Justice will be done this evening, my friends. The souls lost will be avenged and Gymkhana's darkest day may finally be forgotten when the four ropes behind me support the weight of these criminals.”

The guards at the base marched to a small tent that had been erected some fifteen yards away and vanished within its folds. Seconds later, they emerged, dragging their prisoners. With a pair of soldiers on either side of them, Spitfire, Fleetfoot, Fire Streak, and Lightning Streak were flown into the air as the pegasi headed for the gallows. Each of them were heavily bound by thick ropes, not only around their wings, but their front and back hooves as well. At the same time, a bright flash of jade light lit up the square by the stone platform. The same white-furred unicorn that Dash had seen on the ship when Wave Chill attacked had appeared as the light faded. She was flanked by an unrecognizable light blue unicorn. Behind them were five horse stallions. Two of them were dressed in regal clothing of bright golds and aquamarine. The other three were heavily armed soldiers.

Gwyndolin's black mane whipped around her body as the glow of her horn faded slowly. The coarse hairs on the back of Rainbow's neck were standing up; the magic flowing from this unicorn was unbelievable, even a pegasus like her could feel it rippling through the air. She could not remember sensing this back on the Herodotus, but she thought that maybe that was due to the fact that she had been so terrified at the time. Wave Chill took his eyes away from the approaching guards and stared down at the warlock, who returned his gaze. Nodding once to her, he fixed his eyes back upon the pegasi as they landed on the gallows.

The Wonderbolts were forced to stand on their hind legs below each of the four ropes, with Spitfire and Fleetfoot in the centre. Fire Streak was on Spitfire's left while Lightning Streak stood on Fleetfoot's right. The look that the Captain was giving her former teammate was pure hatred. It was only then that Rainbow Dash realized that every Wonderbolt had a cloth tied around their muzzle, preventing speech.

“Fillies and gentlecolts, if I may introduce to you...” Wave began, giving a bow to the finely-dressed horses as Gwyndolin lead them to the gallows stage. “Two representatives of our Ruling Council, Sultaan and Ameer. By their side stands Gwyndolin, the Court Sorceress, who will also be observing the execution along with Moonlight Sonata, our adviser.” Wave Chill gave a bow to each of them as he introduced them to the crowd, and as each returned it, Rainbow's heart leapt into her throat.

As Moonlight Sonata bent low in a bow, she swished her tail to the side and Rainbow Dash caught a perfect look at her thigh. A crescent moon upon patches of dark cloud. Princess Luna. She could have burst out laughing, relief flooding her. Of course, Rainbow recognized her now. It was the exact form Luna had taken when she had first reverted back from Nightmare Moon, the small alicorn with pale hair and mane, only she had hidden her wings somehow. With the Princess close by, how could the Wonderbolts be in danger?

“Now, as I've stated, many of you know that the Wonderbolts are a flight team, but they also double as a special group of sorts, contracted by Princess Celestia herself! They carry out her wrongful orders without question, for you see, the Wonderbolts are a secret military!”

Spitfire began to struggle at her bonds, eyes narrowed and face reddening. If her voice could carry beyond the rag covering her mouth, she would surely be swearing her head off. Wave Chill glanced back at her before turning to the front again. He was barely disguising his grin.

“I have a confession and I beg for your forgiveness, proud citizens of this great and most ancient city,” Wave Chill boomed, strolling back and forth across the stage. “I used to count myself amongst their numbers! I WAS A WONDERBOLT!” There were murmurs throughout the crowd. “While my former colleagues would plunder and murder willingly and without hesitation, I was forced to do terrible things that ate at my heart. I suffered with my sins until I called out to Osiris! He forgave me, friends, he forgave me! I found His light and my salvation. I renounced my wicked, unjust ways so that I could help this wonderful city and its souls usher in a new age.”

An applause rang out across the spectators. Rainbow Dash found herself sick to her stomach. She wasn't entirely sure how, but she knew, she absolutely knew, that these claims about Osiris were errant nonsense. He was lying and using their own faith as a crutch to win over the allegiance of the horses and other creatures, making Rainbow's blood boil.

“So, while my own soul was cleaned, Princess Celestia continued to send out her military to do her bidding and unlawfully advance Equestria's place in the world by oppressing lesser nations! To make matters worse... the Wonderbolts are not the only organization of their kind. There are others. In fact, they are connected!

Due to Spitfire's struggling, the cloth silencing her had slipped down her neck to where the noose would soon be situated. Claiming her voice at long last, it sounded out over the square with a fury Rainbow had yet seen from her. It was terrible to behold.

“YOU PATHETIC, BACKSTABBING, SINFUL SON OF A BITCH! THE WONDERBOLTS GAVE YOU EVERYTHING YOU HAVE EVER KNOWN! HOW DARE YOU BETRAY US? HOW DARE YOU BETRAY OUR PRINCESS WITH THESE LIES?! KEEP YOUR TONGUE INSIDE YOUR LYING FACE OR I WILL RIP IT OUT!” Spitfire struggled harder against her bonds and a soldier beside her punched her hard in the stomach.

“Imagine, fine Gymkhanites... this raging banshee is the Captain! It is no small wonder that the team had been so willing to do evil in this world, with such unbridled rage leading it.” He waited until the soldier had re secured the rag over Spitfire's mouth. Rainbow Dash could hear Rapidfire snarl as Soarin twitched beside her. “The Wonderbolts belong to a group that styles itself 'the Order'. It is an international crime syndicate with its claws rooted deeply into nearly every nation in the world! Princess Celestia is not the only corrupt ruler, and all of these heathens must be brought to justice before we will truly enjoy peace! Worry not, friends, justice will now be served as these ropes sever their ties to life, and Gymkhana will be one step closer to peace.”

Rainbow focused heavily upon Princess Luna, who had narrowed her own eyes slightly at Wave Chill, who's attention was back on his former teammates as the guards threw the ropes around their necks. One by one, they were tightened. Spitfire continued to glare, infused with rage. The other Wonderbolts had not struggled. Fleetfoot looked on sadly, perhaps disappointed in their failure or in her fate. Fire Streak was looking just as defiant as his brother as they stood proudly, prepared to die for Equestria, even if they had failed the mission.

Looking around, Dash saw both Twilight and Rarity staring unblinkingly at the gallows. Rarity was chewing her lip softly, completely focused. Twilight was frowning in determination. She caught Soarin's eye and saw the fear in his features, attempting to wordlessly reassure him that they still had Princess Luna for support, even if, say, zapping the Wonderbolts to her moon sanctuary the moment the section of floor they were upon dropped would reveal her espionage to their enemy.

“May your souls be cleansed,” Wave said simply, raising a hoof into the air. He never had a chance to bring it down.

“PROUD CITIZENS OF GYMKHANA, YOU HAVE BEEN LIED TO BY YOUR GOVERNMENT AND YOUR MILITARY!”

Wave Chill twisted around, hoof still in the air. He fell back on to all fours, eyes panning the crowd. Gwyndolin was imitating him, her teeth gritted. A babble of talk broke out amongst the gathered spectators as everyone looked this way and that for the speaker. Rainbow, who had tensed up greatly in anxiety as Wave Chill had prepared to order the execution, felt her heart pounding in her chest. Whoever had yelled out, the speaker had been female. The members of the Ruling Council, who had remained stoney-faced throughout Wave Chill's speech, were talking quietly to one another, looking confused.

“Dat voice...” Rapidfire breathed, scanning the skies. “I'll be damned...”

“YOU HAVE LIED TO THE GOOD AND HONEST FOLK OF THIS FAIR CITY, AZURE WINGS!” Rainbow Dash was prepared this time and caught the direction of the speaker, twisting to her right. There was a flash of silver above the dividing wall between the Crossroads and the Jewel District. “DO NOT BE FOOLED!”

The entire crowd was now looking over at the wall. Again and again, gleams of silver flashed in the dying light of the descending sun. After a moment, the outline of some creature formed, standing fall with its wings outstretched. A few seconds later, and a light seemed to ripple across its body as it solidified into sight. On top of the wall was a griffon, dressed in a bright gold uniform that matched her fur. Around her waist she wore a belt marked with strange, glowing runes. If her choice of clothing was odd, it was nothing compared to the metal she was wearing over her claws and feathers.

“My name is Major Hawkeye, the commander of the Steel Talons,” she spoke clearly, now that she had the attention of every being in the square.

“They must be the other group Amadeus mentioned!” Fluttershy gasped. “Do you all remember?”

No one bothered to tell her to keep her voice down as Hawkeye pointed a steel claw toward the gallows. “My forces have been observing the climate in this city for months. You may be duped into believing that the horrible events started with the attack on the Mesa District, but you would be mistaken.”

“Sir,” Rainbow could hear Gwyndolin say to Wave Chill, causing her to look back over to them, “shall I?”

“No, my dear... let this heretic speak, so that our friends may understand the lunacy that is behind the evil!”

“An unwise move,” Hawkeye said, licking her beak quickly. She tapped the belt once and vanished from sight, reappearing several seconds later standing below the gallows. “The Tempered Feather have been the poison that has been choking Gymkhana for weeks, long before Azure Wings took control of the military. The Wonderbolts were not in this city to attack, but to defend. This society must understand that everything is not as it seems.”

“Enough of this!” Wave Chill commanded, leaning over the edge of the platform to stare down upon Hawkeye. “This sick individual does not understand the words coming out of her mouth.”

“Steel Talons! Mark!” Hawkeye roared, jabbing a claw up at the gallows.

Dash gasped. One by one, all over the square, all over the walls, griffons appeared, the sun reflecting off of their silver gauntlets and metallic wings. All were wearing the same belt as the commander, and Dash assumed that the they were a type of cloaking device. One of the griffons leapt off the wall as more and more materialized everywhere, at least twenty or more now visible. As he flew toward the stage, he threw a round object at one of the supporting posts. Every griffon near him did the exact same thing. The moment the objects made contact, they burst open and began to release dark clouds of thick smoke. In the blink of an eye, the gallows were completely obscured by the many smoke bombs.

DROP THEM, NOW!” Wave Chill yelled in a panic. “SNAP THEIR NECKS!”

The unmistakable sound of a trap-door opening reached Rainbow's ears, echoing from the midst of the smoke.

PreviousChapters Next