• Published 31st Mar 2013
  • 9,866 Views, 1,155 Comments

What's Really the Most Important? - KrishnaKarnak



Rainbow Dash's life with Scootaloo has begun. But with a nasty disorder growing in the young Scoot, will Rainbow be able to balance affections between her and Rainbow's crush, Soarin? A mission to Saddle Arabia is about to make everything m

  • ...
20
 1,155
 9,866

PreviousChapters Next
18 Dark Side of the Moon

It was Princess Luna.

Rainbow Dash watched as the Princess of the Night walked forward. There were hushed mutterings all around her as the townspeople stared in awe. The alicorn's great wings were extended, and her blue cobalt mane was flowing all around her as if caught in the wind, although the air was still and silent. She had a gossamer-fine aura around the edges of her hair and it seemed to sparkle in the darkness.

Luna's horn began to glow a light blue and her eyes became opaque spheres in her face. A bolt of lightning came crashing down, illuminating the square and striking the Princess in the horn. The clouds overhead began to swirl around once more, parting and dissolving until the sun shone brightly once more upon the street.

Rainbow Dash had an excited shiver coursing through her. Whatever dangers their present situation presented and however dire the circumstances were, the pegasus always felt elated whenever her eyes fell upon an alicorn. She could feel hope flooding back into her, her spirits elevating.

“Twilight Sparkle.” Came Luna's soft voice. “A pleasure, as always.”

“Princess Luna!” Twilight said, still bowed deeply. “Thank you for coming to Ponyville!”

Luna tapped her right forehoof on the ground once, leaving an abrasion on the cobblestone. “I will always be there when my subjects need me. Now... please, all of you!” The volume of her voice rose magnificently so that it thundered over the gathered ponies. Rainbow Dash could feel her hair rippling. “Rise. We should not spend any more time on formalities.”

Rainbow stood up straighter on her hooves, as did everyone else around her. Spitfire took a step forward, bowing yet again to Luna, albeit very briefly.

“Please, Your Highness...” Spitfire began, standing up straight to gaze into the face of the tall alicorn. “What is our plan?”

“I will explain all of the details once we have privacy.” Luna said, flexing her wings. “Approach me with your friends, Twilight. And you with your Wonderbolts, Captain.”

Rainbow Dash moved forward with the group, still with that feeling of hopefulness burning within her breast. Once they were all within a close distance to Luna, the Princess' horn began to glow anew once more. A thread of magic, black as the darkest void, shot straight into the air and split into fifteen separate streams. Each stream fell back to earth and struck a different pony. As each one connected, its target vanished on the spot with the rapidity of a light blub blowing. Rainbow Dash was one of the last to be struck.

As it connected with her, she felt her body contract as if she were about to break through the sound barrier during a Sonic Rainboom. Everything she could see faded to black and the effects of gravity seemed to have vanished from her body. She was just floating in the middle of nothingness.

After a few seconds, the contracting feeling faded away and she felt her hooves land upon a solid surface. It was strange to the touch, neither hot nor cold and with zero imperfections or other features. It was as if her limbs were numb, unable to feel. Looking up, Rainbow could see stars above her, even though it was still too dark to even make out her own body. The darkness and the stars... This was very strange, as it was still early enough in the afternoon that Scootaloo was still in school. Wherever Dash was, the air was very cool and refreshing. Each breath was incredible on her lungs.

A light suddenly flared next to her as Luna reappeared, her horn now glowing a bright white gold colour. Rainbow Dash could make out Applejack and Pinkie Pie standing next to her, and gasps told her that Rarity and Fluttershy were behind her. Twilight was standing next to Luna, with the Wonderbolts beyond them. On the edges of Rainbow Dash's vision, which was the extent that Luna's luminescence could reach, the light changed to all colours of the rainbow. Again, it was like Rainbow's Sonic Rainboom, only this time they could have been standing within the expanding ring.

“Where... where in tarnation are we?” Applejack said in surprise, immediately slapping a hoof to her mouth and blushing. “Princess, I am so sorry for that language!”

Luna smiled benignly. “It is of no consequence, Honest Applejack. We are within an enchanted prism, filled with perpetually flowing oxygen. We are on the dark side of the moon. I find it as good a place as any to be alone with my thoughts.”

Dash felt her jaw drop in wonder as she gazed around. Could this really be the moon? The darkness stretched out almost an eternally beneath them. It was impossible to tell whether or not the surface of the satellite was there or not. But still, the stars were indeed visible overhead. Dash lifted her arms and they felt light as feathers. 'It's true...' She thought to herself.

“Wow!” Pinkie said, perking up as she began to bounce around in a wide circle, soaring in great arcs with each leap. “It's like I'm completely weightless but I'm not because I still fall down! So it's like I'm completely weightless with a small rock tied to my left backhoof! But only that one!”

Twilight rolled her eyes, snagging Pinkie with her magic and pulling her back to the group.

“Let us get down to business, then!” Luna said briskly, turning on the spot to look at all of them. “My sister has sent me to speak with you all in her stead. We have both agreed that Princess Celestia is of much better use remaining in Canterlot where she can better protect her servants and subjects. We have also agreed to unite the Elements of Harmony with your forces, Captain. Depending on the severity of the threat, I may assist you myself.”

Dash gave a start of surprise. Princess Luna might be joining them? The Shadow wouldn't stand a chance! Perhaps things would work themselves out after all?

Spitfire nodded in agreement as she and the Wonderbolts moved forward to stand next to the mares. “We are most grateful, Your Highness.”

“Please, explain to me the full details of what transpired in Saddle Arabia.” Luna requested, sitting down before them with her arms outstretched on the featureless floor of the prism. This put her at eye-level with the Wonderbolt Captain.

Within five minutes, Spitfire had explained everything she knew. The plea for help from Saddle Arabia and the false dragon dangers. Their investigating of security, the ambush by The Shadow and the guards turning on them. The deaths of the Ambassador's militia, the attacks on the innocent, and their flight from the desert.

“So you see...” Spitfire concluded. “It was only after we had breached through the mountains that we noticed Wave Chill had disappeared. We fear he was taken by The Shadow.”

Rainbow Dash looked quickly at Soarin, who was standing next to her at that point. He had a fierce and defiant look on his face. She caught his eye and gave him a reassuring smile, extending a wing to grasp one of his own.

“Very well.” Luna said, standing up once again. “Making haste to Ponyville was a wise decision, it is not where this threat would expect you to flee, I think. All evidence points to the possibility that this enemy's focus is on eliminating the Wonderbolts. We can only pray that your teammate survives. This shadow may attempt to use him to lure the rest of you into danger. We should plan for this, because we will use it to our advantage.”

“Princess Luna, do you have a suggestion for our first strategic move?” Rarity asked, tossing her mane. “It may seem, forgive me, foolish to charge straight into the open to confront The Shadow for demands!”

“I agree. Celestia has already suggested a passive move on our part. We must monitor the situation in Saddle Arabia from afar. The Shadow may return to the desert. If the innocent are threatened, we will take our flight there, Elements of Harmony in tow!” Luna said, her voice rippling over them once again. “If The Shadow makes a strike against Canterlot or Cloudsdale, we will respond with our full might.”

Rainbow Dash walked forward, giving Princess Luna a quick bow. “If ya ask me, it's likely that this shadow flew back to the desert. It lured the Wonderbolts into danger, right? And now... its got Wave Chill.” Dash looked around at the group, her mouth rather dry. “It captured a Wonderbolt, one of the bravest and greatest fliers in Equestria! The Shadow will expect a rescue mission, am I right?”

“I'm with you, Rainbow Dash!” Spitfire said, ripping her sunglasses off her face. “It can be damn sure that we will attempt at rescue mission.” Unlike Applejack, Spitfire did not apologize for the language. “So I agree with Celestia, let's keep an eye on the situation in the Saddrabian capital. If The Shadow expects us to charge back in full force, we may be able to take it by surprise with a quiet infiltration. What's more, the royals and peasants alike know that the military joined up with whatever the hell darkness has taken hold! For all we know, a full scale revolution is taking place as we speak and the military will be torn to pieces by the very taxpayers who line their pockets.”

“A'ight, so...” Rapidfire spoke up, bowing to Luna. “How's we gon' know what's goin' on over in Saddle 'rabia from 'ere? If we're gon' keep our eyes on th' sand to see how th' cards play out, wouldn't we need ta be dere?”

“Yeah! That's totally a good question, Princess!” Surprise said, speaking for the first time and tossing her golden hair in excitement. “We should totally, like, I dunno, tap into the radios, maybe? Or... Oh! What's the word you call somepony who is sent to spy on someone? A fly?”

'Looks like the Wonderbolts have an... eccentric pony themselves, just like Pinkie Pie.' Rainbow thought to herself as Spitfire looked daggers at Surprise. 'I never noticed that before...'

“Well, shoot! We'd need a spy!” Applejack said, tipping her hat with a smack from her hoof.

“That's the word, that's the word!” Surprise said gleefully.

“Indeed. An act of espionage into the Saddrabian capital would prove most beneficial. Somepony to collect the vital intelligence we need to know the severity of the threat of The Shadow, the extent of the corruption of the military forces, and what actions the Saddrabian royalty may be taking to swing the odds back in our favour.” Fleetfoot agreed, tugging at the strap of her goggles absentmindedly. “Moreover, there is the distinctive probability that Wave Chill will be held captive there. Successful infiltration may lead us to the location of our comrade.”

There were mutterings of agreement from the assembled group at these words. They all began to discuss the advantages and disadvantages, debating the right tactics and wondering aloud what news a spy could possibly dig up. Rainbow Dash noticed Luna was not speaking, but merely turning her head to each speaker in turn to listen. Luna had a look that suggested deep thought, although she still seemed to be picking up on every word.

“Very well.” Luna spoke at last. “A spy will be sent into the Saddrabian capital while the rest remain behind to maintain the defenses at home. There is ever the possibility that The Shadow will still attack.”

“Princess Luna, um... who will you be sending?” Fluttershy asked in a tiny voice, looking very intimidated as she addressed the alicorn.

“I will go myself. I will not put any of my subjects in danger.” Luna said simply, flexing her wings again.

“Uh...” Dash said, rubbing her arm. “No offense meant, Luna, but... you're not exactly a subtle looking pony...” Dash focused on the everflowing mane and the dual features of both a unicorn horn and pegasus wings.

“You memory betrays you, Loyal Rainbow Dash.” Luna said with a smile. “My body can take many forms; I can disguise myself most efficiently. You yourself have seen three different Princesses of the Night.”

“I must say...” Rarity spoke up, frowning. “I'm not a great fan of the conception of placing one of our dear Princesses in harrowing danger!

“I will go.” Luna repeated firmly. “There will be no more objections. This prism has been permanently connected to Canterlot ever since I had successfully broken free my containment here as Nightmare Moon. I can travel to this prism and back from a single specific spot with a spell, as demonstrated when I brought you all here. I will go. If I am discovered, a great improbability in and of itself, I can warp myself here in an instant and flee to safety in Canterlot. I will go.”

“I trust our Princess.” Soarin said, speaking for the first time since Luna's arrival.

“As do I, Soarin.” Spitfire agreed. “It's decided, then. The Wonderbolts will stand alert and ready for the intelligence the Princess will gather. In the meantime, we will do our best to protect our kingdom. We must take into account Wave Chill's safety, though. If he still lives...” Spitfire trailed off a moment, her composure slipping slightly as she looked into Soarin's eyes. “... if he still lives, then each passing day will likely place him in more danger.”

“Exactly!” Blaze said, nodding. “I don't think we should wait longer than a week before we act against The Shadow. We'll rescue Soarin's brother, and the Elements of Harmony will blast The Shadow to bits!”

Luna turned to face the six. “I will move the Wonderbolts to Canterlot for their own safety. I shall send a battalion of winged guards to patrol Cloudsdale. In the meantime, I'll send you all back to Ponyville. I suggest you all make your preparations and be ready to leave at a moment's notice, just in case. You will have the Elements waiting for you when it is time to act.

I pray I will be able to discover precisely what we are up against during my infiltration. For now, Twilght Sparkle... you and your friends make your peace with your loved ones. This could very well be the greatest danger any of us have faced.”

Rainbow Dash closed her eyes a moment, mulling it all over. The prospect of fighting this great evil in a foreign kingdom with a hostile military guarding it... it was not the adventure she had been hoping for. This would truly be a dangerous mission. There would be no fun and games, no singing, no laughter. Wave Chill's life was in danger or already over, the Princess was worried and was putting her own life into danger in order to get them vital information to aid their plight. Was this real fear Rainbow was experiencing?

Everything seemed to have happened so fast. Her friends were saying their farewells to the Wonderbolts. Blaze was shaking hooves all around and smiling, seemingly doing her best to maintain good faith. They would need to return to Ponyville. Were their lives truly going to be in real danger? Would the Elements even be enough? How she was going to explain all of this to Scootaloo?

'My little Scoots...' Rainbow felt cold at the thought of losing to this shadow. Losing to this great evil... Would Scootaloo have to suffer through the grief of losing a mother all over again? 'No!' Rainbow Dash would not let it happen. She grit her teeth, breathing deeply. Rainbow and her friends had never truly failed before. They would have the Wonderbolts on their side. They would have Princess Luna on their side. 'We're not going to lose!'

They couldn't lose.

“Soarin...” Rainbow said, breaking her train of thought and approaching him.

“Dashie... I'm sorry we had to drag you and your friends into this...” Soarin said, shaking his head and hugging her.

“No, Soarin... this is destiny! You told me you wanted me by your side, and I'm gonna be there! We will all be there. It don't matter if this shadow attacks Canterlot, or Cloudsdale, or if we take the fight to Saddle Arabia! We'll meet it, we'll beat it, the two dorky brothers will be reunited...” Dash paused, looking him full in the face with her arms around his waist. Leaning forward, she pressed her lips against his. Before she closed her eyes, she saw Spitfire turn resolutely away to face in another direction. Rainbow Dash did not even care if anyone else was watching. She felt his arms wrap around her neck and the kiss was not broken for several long moments. It was blissful oblivion, as if the danger temporarily did not exist. “... and then you may take me on another date!”

Soarin gave her a much stronger smile, running a hoof softly across her face. “You're on! I guess we'll see you all in a week!”

“Be strong, Soarin! For Wave's sake!” Rainbow smiled at him.

“Are you all ready to return?” Princess Luna asked, her eyes travelling from mare to mare.

“Let's dooo thiiiis!” Pinkie cheered.

The black beams shot from Luna's horn once more. Rainbow watched as her friends were struck and vanished from sight. She felt the beam connect with her body, which began to contract like before. She took a deep breath before everything went dark.

PreviousChapters Next