• Published 31st Mar 2013
  • 9,855 Views, 1,155 Comments

What's Really the Most Important? - KrishnaKarnak



Rainbow Dash's life with Scootaloo has begun. But with a nasty disorder growing in the young Scoot, will Rainbow be able to balance affections between her and Rainbow's crush, Soarin? A mission to Saddle Arabia is about to make everything m

  • ...
20
 1,155
 9,855

PreviousChapters Next
7 The Worst Day

Rainbow Dash was slumped on the bench, panting heavily. Soarin landed next to her, drinking from his water bottle. Dash glanced at him. He stared back. She shook her head in exasperation. He gave a laugh. Dash put her head in her hoof, glaring away from him when Soarin folded her arms and looked sternly at her, waiting for her to notice.

“What? I'm not doing it,” she said firmly. “You're absolutely insane.”

“C'mooon!” Soarin grinned and nudged her with his elbow.

Rainbow Dash stood up straight, breathing deeply. Soarin watched her carefully. THWAP. She extended her wing and knocked him off the bench. She leaned over him, shaking her head.

“I couldn't help but I notice I already toldja 'no'!” Dash smirked.

Soarin pushed himself off the floor with his own wings, placing himself nose to nose with her. He held up a hoof between them, and carefully pushed her back.

“Why not?” He asked, grinning.

"Do you even realize what you're asking me to do?!" Rainbow snapped. "I can't believe you!"

"It doesn't last very long. It'll all be over quickly," Soarin explained, attempting to persuade her.

Rainbow shook her head again. She wrapped her arms tightly about her chest, tossing her mane in his face.

“I... I am not doing the 'bunny hop' during the second flight phase. I'm not doing it. You are the biggest dork ever. I'll look like a tool! Besides, it's exhausting!

It was Wednesday. Rainbow Dash was nearing the end of her first day in practice for the airshow performance with Soarin. They were inside the grand gymnasium at the Wonderbolts Academy, testing aerial acrobatics. The show was to be broken into three phases and Soarin was aiming to teach her the toughest moves first, with them focusing on tying it all together later. He had just showed her a move he called 'the bunny hop' that involved quick acceleration shifting while increasing and decreasing altitude, all while leaning forward with all four limbs bent like a hopping bunny rabbit.

“I think it's cute,” Soarin said, shrugging.

Cute?!” Dash rolled her eyes. “I wouldn't even let my kid do that!”

Soarin sat back down on the bench, Dash still standing, glaring in another direction with her arms still folded tight. Dash would not have noticed the smile slowly leaving his face.

“I... didn't know you had a foal,” he spoke after a few moments, regaining his slipping composure.

“She's a filly, actually,” Rainbow Dash said, staring at a chart of moves that Soarin had posted on the wall that morning. “Scootaloo is seven.”

“Well, that would explain how you've managed to stay in flying shape! You had plenty of time to get back into it!” Soarin said, probably under the impression he was flattering her.

The time it took for Rainbow Dash to slowly turn her head toward him and fix him with the most disgusted look she could muster could have been a million years. As it was, Soarin seemed to recoil slightly, unnerved at her expression. He stood up, holding his hooves up in front of him.

“Whoa, whoa! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to offend you,” he said, backing away slightly.

“I... should probably leave.” Dash sighed. “I've gotta pick her up from school soon, and that's all the way in Ponyville.”

“But... Dash, I... I—” Soarin spluttered into silence, falling back to all fours. “Uh, yeah. Alright, we can finish up early and try again tomorrow. I'll try and work the bunny hop out of the set.”

“Thanks,” Dash said, calming down and smiling. “You can say some dumb things sometimes!”

Soarin smiled weakly at her. The silence fell between them once more, but still Rainbow Dash did not yet leave, having returned to looking at the chart. If Soarin was smart, he could still save the situation. Dash was on the verge of saying that Scootaloo was a child she had adopted, and had thus never would have needed to 'get back into' any sort of shape, but Soarin spoke first.

“Sooo...” he mumbled, clearly casting around for something to say. “What's... wrong... with her going to normal flight school?”

Dash wheeled around to face him again, feeling the pure rage flood her face.

“She's HANDICAPPED, you JERK!” Dash yelled, spit flying and her chest heaving.

She gave him one snort from her nostrils and leapt into the air, spreading her wings and leaving a completely mortified looking Soarin in her wake. She landed on the edge of one of the high windows at near the ceiling, threw him one look of deep loathing, and dived out. She hadn't even bothered to grab her towel or water bottle.

She plummeted a hundred feet. The building and floating earth it was built upon flashed by as she fell, ripping through clouds and exiting Cloudsdale through the bottom. She opened her wings to catch the air and glided toward Ponyville, still fuming.

She had been anticipating this day ever since she had won the race. She had barely slept the night before. Stomach churning and feeling dizzy, she arrived at the gym that morning to meet with Soarin. She was so shy and embarrassed, completely nerve-wracked. However, a full day of working side by side with him, moving through the air under his instruction, allowing him to adjust her limbs to perfect her form, joking around with him and chatting constantly had all been beneficial. By that last hour, she was very comfortable around him. It was all very hard work, she knew, but she enjoyed it all immensely anyway. And although his stupid bunny hope exercise was ridiculous, it was still a great cardio.

Rainbow Dash sighed. Despite all of this, she had such a sour taste in her mouth. She couldn't really blame Spitfire for calling him an idiot, as much as that realization tore at her. Soarin seemed to have absolutely no idea how to talk to another pony without humiliating himself or offending them. He was clueless! All throughout the day he had said things that just crossed the line. Little throwaway comments or crude jokes that just rubbed her the wrong way. What made it all worse is the fact that she couldn't really blame him, at least not for his last two insulting attempts at making conversation. He obviously didn't know about Scootaloo beforehand, nor did he know Rainbow Dash wasn't her real mother, nor did he know she could not fly. Despite this, Rainbow Dash had still blown up at him.

She still liked him, but he had really and honestly disappointed her. It was the first time since hearing about the airshow that Rainbow Dash felt like she truly would not be bothered if she didn't do it. Cute he might be, but if he didn't start thinking before he opened his wretched trap, she was going to back out of this awfully quick.

Dash swore as she kept flying, Ponyville just in the distance. 'Why does he have to make this SO HARD?' she thought, her breathing erratic. She wanted to rewind time and try this day over again. Hopefully tomorrow would be better. Dash was dreading another sleepless night tonight as she looked forward to second guessing her feelings until the sun came up.

“Sis! You're late!” Scootaloo frowned as Dash touched down next to the school house.

Scoot had been sitting down on the steps in front of the doors. All of the other fillies and colts seemed to have already gone home. Rainbow looked up at the clock tower; school ended nearly a half hour ago. Rainbow could not help but think of Misty Skies leaving Scootaloo to wait, only to never return. She felt ashamed of herself as she approached Scootaloo, kneeling down beside her.

“I'm so sorry, Scootaloo,” Dash said with a heavy sigh, ruffling her hair and kissing her forehead. “Mo—I mean, man, I didn't mean to keep you waiting. Dashie wouldn't do that on purpose. Practice ran late, that's all... I'm surprised Cheerilee didn't wait with you, though.”

Rainbow Dash had almost called herself 'mommy'. The last thing she wanted was to upset Scootaloo even more. Just let this day end already, she thought ruefully.

“But Cheerilee is here! She's still inside,” Scoot explained, standing up. “She didn't want me to be left here all alone.”

“Oh!” Dash said, feeling a little sickened at herself at jumping to conclusions so quickly. “I'll go talk to her, thank her for cleaning up my mess!”

Scootaloo smiled. “Okay. Hurry up, I'm booored!”

Dash walked inside the school and into the main classroom. Cheerilee was standing by the blackboard, wiping it clean with a sponge, a bucket on the floor. Dash rapped on the door frame, and Cheerilee looked over. The fuchsia coloured mare frowned.

“Late again, Rainbow Dash?” she asked, shaking her head. “You mustn't keep that up. You are a parent now, and certain responsib—”

“Unavoidable, sorry!” Rainbow interrupted. “Well, thanks for stickin' around, gotta split, later!”

“Dash, wait a moment!” the teacher said, approaching her. “I need to talk to you for a moment, if you don't mind.”

“Look, if you want to flog me with a meter stick, I'm free during the evenings and my rates are cheap.” Dash said, leaning against the door frame and scowling, sure she was giving the all-to-obvious impression that she was in no mood to be lectured on time-keeping right now.

Cheerilee rolled her eyes. “If we could be serious for a moment? It's about Scootaloo.”

Dash raised her eyebrows in surprise. “Huh? What about her?”

“Has she been... acting strangely at home?” Cheerilee asked delicately.

“W-what...? What do you mean?” Dash's heart began to beat rapidly. “What's wrong with her?!”

Cheerilee sat down on one of the desks and Rainbow Dash followed suit, sitting next to her with concern and worry inching on her face. Her mind was racing with any number of horrifying answers to what Cheerilee was about to say.

“There may not be anything wrong with her. I pray that is the case, at least. However...” Cheerilee looked saddened. “I believe she may be suffering from an anxiety disorder. The symptoms come and go. When you adopted her, they had vanished for the longest period that I could remember. I was sure it was related to her life at the orphanage and nothing more, but they returned today. Scootaloo has been the happiest I have known her since you came into her life, but I fear this is something that runs deep...

Scootaloo seems concerned with anything that happens between other students. Any confrontations, even when Scoot herself is not involved, and she will grow worried. Her mood changes, and she seems more depressed, more apprehensive, and prone to crying far more easily. I've noticed her hooves sweat when she doesn't immediately grasp something I am teaching. She is a very gifted little filly, but whenever these symptoms manifest themselves, her work suffers. Problems with memory and concentration are linked with anxiety.

You should take her to a doctor to get her examined, Rainbow Dash. As I explained, this all seemed to vanish when you gave her a proper home, but her joy only seemed to be a temporary fix. That suggests the problem may be... internal. I'm sorry, Dash.”

Dash made not a sound during Cheerilee's explanation. The teacher's words crashed over her like waves on rocks. Her heart seemed to be stuck in her throat and she felt her arms shaking. Rainbow racked her brain, trying to remember any odd or anxious behaviour that Scoot might have been displaying, but she was coming up blank. She opened her mouth to speak, but could not find any words. 'The problem may be internal'? Did that mean there was something wrong with her brain, or something? Were the powers that be out to get that poor child, she wondered in frustration? Why couldn't Scootaloo catch a break?

Rainbow made an effort to steady herself. Cheerilee was looking very upset at having to be the bearer of bad news and even more concerned at how hard Rainbow Dash was taking this. Rainbow Dash filled her lunges with a deep breath.

“T-thanks for telling me this...” Dash said after a moment. “I will get her examined... Please, keep me updated on her behaviour. I will keep a close eye on her at home and I'll check with Applejack and Rarity. They've both foalsat her recently.”

“Be strong for her, Rainbow Dash,” Cheerilee said, standing up and placing a hoof on her shoulder. “I pray that I'm mistaking this for something minor.”

Rainbow Dash stood up as well and the two mares looked at each other silently. Dash looked over at Scootaloo's desk on the far side of the classroom, marked with a block with her name on it. Dash picked it up, sliding her hoof over the engraved letters. Dash was scared, she couldn't deny it to herself. She was really scared.

“You've been forever!” Scootaloo groaned as Rainbow Dash and Cheerilee walked out.

“Sorry, kiddo. We were talking about grown up stuff. Like... boys and cooties,” Dash said, smiling her hardest at Scootaloo, though her insides were still churning.

“Eeewww!” Scootaloo said, pretending to gag. “Can we go home nooow?”

Dash bent low. “Hop on and we just might.”

Scootaloo gave a squeal of delight and scrambled up on Rainbow's shoulders. Rainbow stretched out again, her wings extending.

“See you tomorrow, Cheerilee!” Scoot said happily, her wings buzzing.

“Goodbye, little one!” Cheerilee replied, smiling broadly at her. She gave Dash a meaningful look and a nod. “Rainbow Dash, feel free to stop by any time you're passing.”

Dash nodded. “Same to you, Cheerilee."

Dash didn't know how she managed to get through the rest of the afternoon. The disastrous fiasco with Soarin was one thing, but this? All throughout the day, she watched Scootaloo very closely. Her eyes rarely left the filly as she prepared the stir fry for dinner that evening. Scootaloo was playing with her toys in the living room now, having just helped Dash chop up vegetables. Scootaloo had always seemed so happy and calm. Was she really suffering from some terrible disorder? Dash kept having to steady herself, to focus on controlling her breathing. She felt absolutely miserable and constantly on the verge of tears. It had not been an enjoyable day. Eventually, they sat down to eat.

“Bath tonight, Scootaloo...” Rainbow Dash said as Scootaloo shovelled food into her mouth. Dash was barely touching her own, having no appetite.

“'Kay!” Scoot said quickly, chewing loudly. “Neat!”

“Hey!” Dash said, seeing bits of carrot hit the table. “Mouth closed, missy.”

Scootaloo rolled her eyes and flicked some rice at Rainbow Dash. Dash smiled warmly at her. The prospect of getting her examined was a frightening one, but necessary. She would have to know. Dash would need to consult Twilight on this, perhaps. Maybe she had a book that could help? Or better yet, a spell. But... no. Dash didn't want to have to use a spell to fix Scootaloo. 'There's nothing wrong with her. There's nothing wrong with Scootaloo.' she said in her head. Could she be wrong? She would have to look up a doctor tomorrow.

“Are you okay, Sis? You're actin' weird!” Scootaloo remarked, licking her plate.

“I'm acting weird?” Dash laughed, standing up and moving around the table. “At least I'm not throwing food and licking my plate like Winona!”

She scooped up Scootaloo with her wing and sat down again, cuddling the filly close to her. “I love you, Scootaloo. You know that?”

“Yeah, 'cause you don't shut up about it!” Scootaloo grinned up at her, nuzzling her head against Rainbow's chest. “It's okay, though, 'cause I like you too!”

“Like? That's all I get? A lousy like?” Dash asked in exasperation, tickling Scoot with her wings. “You'll have to do better than that!”

Scootaloo giggled and fought with her. “No! Stop it, stop it, lemme down! That tiiickles!”

“I'll let you down, because you're smelly! You should take your bath now!” Dash said, plopping the filly on to the floor.

“Yeah, I'll get riiight on that!” Scootaloo replied sarcastically. “I've got cartoons that need watching. I'm a busy pony!”

“An hour, at most!” Dash called after her as Scootaloo marched back into the living room. “Then it's bath time!”

There was a knock at the door. Who in blazes is that, she wondered? She heard Scootaloo yell 'I'LL GET IT!' excitedly. Dash quickly gathered up the plates off the table and laid them on the counter. She heard the front door open and someone's voice, talking to Scootaloo.

“Who is it, baby?” Dash called out to her.

“Rainbow Dash? I think it's... a Wonderbolt,” came Scoot's reply.

PreviousChapters Next