• Published 31st Mar 2013
  • 9,855 Views, 1,155 Comments

What's Really the Most Important? - KrishnaKarnak



Rainbow Dash's life with Scootaloo has begun. But with a nasty disorder growing in the young Scoot, will Rainbow be able to balance affections between her and Rainbow's crush, Soarin? A mission to Saddle Arabia is about to make everything m

  • ...
20
 1,155
 9,855

PreviousChapters Next
32 A Matter of Time

The gyrocopter touched down softly on the coarse sand just outside of the north-western gates of the capital of Gymkhana. After a chorus of metallic clicks, the group unbuckled their restraints and clamoured off of the gyrocopter. Rainbow Dash helped Scootaloo get her hooves back onto solid ground. Gripping one of her front hooves tightly, she turned to stare at the pegasus guard with distrust swirling about her mind.

Once they had all disembarked, he started forward with a determined air about him. His face was hidden behind a study-looking iron helmet and he had a sword in a sheath strapped to his side. Dash could see the hilt protruding, a small leather loop tied to the handle, allowing a pony an easier grip. The guard's coat was a light orange and he had a very short tail of blue-green, matching his mane.

“Gud evenin',” Rapidfire greeted him, moving swiftly to meet him. “May we gain entrance to da city? We 'ave young exhausted from a long journey. My name is Ashen Vindacation, 'n'—”

The guard held up a hoof. “Shut up,” he said in a fierce voice, reaching across his chest to the hilt of his blade. “Do not act! We know all about you, Wonderbolt! You can drop your stupid facade, you villain! You endanger this great city!” He took another step forward, wings spread wide threateningly. “I will destroy you. ALL OF YOU!”

Rainbow's breathing had completely stopped. 'How did he know? How?!' She would barely feel her heart violently thrashing against her ribs as fear spread a paralyzing numbness throughout her. Scootaloo was shaking at her side as the fear continued to lick at her insides like the fire on a candle's wick. Her muscles were stone as she turned her head to see Rarity, who was bending her hoof inward, as though balling up a fist. Fluttershy was covering her face, cowering in fear. Pinkie Pie was frowning angrily, but her eyes were full of an uncertainty. Sweetie Belle was hiding behind her sister, out of sight. Applejack was pawing at the ground, teeth gritted and fury in her eyes, with Apple Bloom at her side.

“No, no...” Twilight shuddered, shaking her head. “Rapidfire, be careful...”

“Be careful?” Rapidfire said, twisting to stare back at Twilight Sparkle. “Don't be ridiculous.”

“W-what?” Dash gasped, pulling Scoot tight to her side. “Are you stupid, Rapid?!”

Rapidfire looked back at the advancing pegasus, sitting down and folding his arms. Soarin had made his way over by now and was standing his ground next to his teammate, tall on his hind legs with both forehooves ready for a fight, his own wings splayed wide.

“Hones'ly? Ya expect to intimidate me, eh?” Rapid asked the guard. “Wid a voice like dat? Wid wings like dose? Do ya recognize dis idiot, Soarin?”

The guard stopped dead in front of them, sword pointing directly at Rapidfire's chest. After a moment, in which Rainbow battled with herself not to soar over there and attack the guard herself, he returned the sword to its sheath and gave a heavy sigh.

“We thought it would be funny,” he said with a shrug, jerking his head at the anubis pilot.

“Funny?” Soarin said in a quaking voice, putting his face in his hooves. “You have any idea what we've been through? Rapidfire even said we have young with us, yet you go through with this?

Dash was staring in disbelief, completely thrown for a loop. “What the... hell?” Even if she was thinking about the fillies present, she would not have been able to stop herself. “What... was this a joke, or something? A joke? WHO IS THIS SON OF A BITCH? I almost had a heart attack!”

“Look!” the guard said, putting up his hooves defensively before removing his helmet, revealing his face. His left eye had an eye-patch over it, while the right shone green. “Alright, stupid idea! My mistake, won't happen again, miss!”

Soarin sighed, flying over to Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo. He looked down at the filly and his face fell. Rainbow imitated him and looked down at Scoot herself. Scootaloo was sitting on the ground, a blank expression on her face. Her eyes were wide with fear and tears were trickling down her cheeks. Dash dropped down low and turned Scootaloo to face her as the fear once again mounted.

“Sssh, Scoots, it's okay, baby...” Rainbow said softly, pulling Scootaloo into her chest and cuddling her tightly, her mind numb with shock. “We aren't in danger, everything is fine... Scoots, talk to me...” Rainbow started to rub her back softly, squeezing her tightly. She could feel Scootaloo's shaking intensify and she buried her face into the filly's mane, still holding her tightly into her chest.

“This filly has issues with anxiety,” Dash heard Soarin speak. “That was the worst thing you could have possibly done, Bottle Rocket! It has been a mentally exhausting day for all of us. What did you really hope to accomplish?”

“I'm sorry, Soarin! Rapidfire! And you mares, I just... damn. I wanted to inject a bit of humour into the proceedings, that's all! I've been in Gymkhana for eight hours and this place has been a total nightmare.”

“Wait a sec! 'Bottle Rocket'?” Applejack said, voice full of meaning. “This rooster-brained moron was your old Captain?

“Ya cud say da crash rattled his brain,” Rapidfire said in a disgusted voice. “What exactly are ya doin' here, Botta?”

“How is she, Dashie?” Soarin asked softly, kneeling down beside her.

Rainbow didn't answer him. She had asked Scootaloo to speak to her again, but the filly had remained silent. Dash felt Soarin's hoof against her own back as she continued to caress Scoot's, her own eyes starting to feel wet at the filly's anguish.

“She hasn't said anything, Soar...” Dash whispered, taking a steadying breath. “That... that...” Rainbow Dash wanted to go on a swear-filled tirade, to rage and storm and throw all of her emotions out into the open, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. She didn't want to cause Scootaloo any more pain by adding to the tumult, especially given how easy the filly had been set off.

“You alright, trainee?” Soarin asked Scootaloo softly, still rubbing Rainbow where she sat.

“Scootaloo, baby, talk to me... please,” Dash whispered, now stroking her mane softly. “Are you okay?”

“I wanna go home...” came her voice at last, quivering with fright. “I've seen enough, this is too much... I just wanna go home...”

“I'm sorry to cause this, I really, really am...” Bottle Rocket said earnestly, ignoring Rapidfire's question. Rainbow could hear his hooves crunching the sand as he approached.

“Don't come near her!” Dash hissed at him, resting her chin on Scootaloo's head. “You'll just upset her more!”

“I just wanna go home...” Scootaloo repeated softly, breaking into renewed sobs into Rainbow's chest. “C-can we go ho-home?”

Rainbow wrapped her arms around Scootaloo's body and stood up on her hind legs, clutching her safely to her torso. “I'll get you home as soon as I can, Scoots. Dashie promises...” She fluttered over to the gyrocopter and sat down on the edge of the rusty container which housed the seats, cradling the filly in her lap.

Was this all just some sick, twisted joke, orchestrated by fate? One terrible thing after another. There was no waking from this nightmare. Every little thing that had happened in the last two days had been horrible. Scootaloo's crying had gone quiet, though Rainbow Dash could still feel the warm tears dripping from the end of her snout as sat with Scootaloo placed on her left shoulder. Scootaloo's hooves were wrapped around her neck as Rainbow did her best to comfort her without words, stroking her mane and patting her back, humming softly to her.

She could hear the others breaking into conversation. Despite the importance of whatever details an ally on the scene could possibly tell them, she made no attempt to listen in. All of her focus was on the filly in her arms. She could see Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle looking sadly over at them, perhaps wanting to try and comfort their friend, but perhaps they both realized that Scoot was better off in Rainbow's hooves, or perhaps their sisters had asked them to stay put.

“Scootaloo, I'm so sorry you've had to go through all of this... I know that was really scary for you, baby. I was scared, too. It was just a stupid joke, he never meant to hurt your feelings or frighten you. Our friends are talking to him now, he's here to help us...” Dash explained gently, trying to keep her emotions in check as the pain of seeing Scootaloo like this clashed with the still-burning embers of fury at the audacity of pulling such a prank on them.

Her eyes focused on the pilot of the gyrocopter. Judging by the 'we thought it would be funny' line, he was in on the prank as well. How could they think that it would be funny? How could they possibly think that pulling a sword on them as they proceeded further and further into frightening, unknown, and hostile territory would be a good idea? And poor Scootaloo, she was set off so easily. Rainbow Dash wondered if Scootaloo was more nervous than she had lead on.

“I'm sorry I didn't listen to you...” Scootaloo said in an almost non-existent whisper. “I shouldn't have come...”

“It's okay, sweetheart...” Dash replied softly, pulling Scootaloo off her shoulder and sitting her on her lap. She carefully wiped the tears from the filly's eyes, which were reddened. “You had no way of knowing this was gonna happen, I know you were only trying to stay close to me. Trust me, I don't wanna be over here either... Are you gonna be okay, kiddo?”

“I... I dunno...” Scootaloo said in a hoarse voice, staring into Rainbow's stomach. “I n-need you, Sis... or I won't be okay...”

“You got me!” Dash assured her. “I'm gonna stay by your side the entire time you're here if I can!” She hugged the filly tight to her chest again, realizing with each passing second exactly how much Scootaloo did need her. Would she be alright if Luna could send the Crusaders back to Canterlot?

“Dashie...” Soarin said after a few minutes, strolling over. “How is she?”

“'M alright...” Scootaloo replied in a muffled voice, her face buried into Rainbow's fur again.

“We've gotta get moving into the city. According to Bottle Rocket, there's a patrol of pegasai who pass over here every half an hour,” he explained, wrapping his wings around them both.

“What's going on, Soar?” Dash asked him, pressing her own face into his chest, feeling exhausted. She kissed it softly, wanting nothing more than to just fall into a warm bed, safe and sound with the two ponies she was touching.

“Bottle Rocket was stationed here by Luna earlier today. Apparently, he owed Celestia a favour. The pilot was working with him and radioed ahead to warn him.” Soarin explained, pulling away from her so he could get a good look at Scootaloo. Rainbow Dash was touched by his concern for her daughter, affection for the stallion she so cared about exploding in her chest. “Apparently, he figured out who we were when he was talking to Rapidfire while the copter fuelled up. I guess he knew to be on the look-out for suspicious tourists, or maybe Bottle Rocket gave him Rapid's description. Or... maybe he just figured it out when Rapidfire used my name... whatever the case, the clowns came up with that stupid prank.”

“I still can't believe they went through with it. I mean, me and Gilda used to pull some cruel pranks on ponies when we were younger, but Bottle Rocket's a full-grown stallion! He's gotta have more sense than that.” Dash groaned, shaking her head.

“He's been weird ever since his accident. He didn't just resign as Captain due to his injuries... he's been a bit funny in the head ever since, so it was more or less out of necessity.” Soarin sighed.

“Princess Luna's gonna freakin' hear about this!” Dash growled, sighing and stroking Scootaloo's mane again. “She couldn't have picked a worse pony to greet us... Well, has he told you guys anything important?”

“He doesn't know anything about the Republic or any of Luna's plans, since he's only been in the city for a short time. All Luna told him to do was to allow us to pass safely into the city, since the other soldiers would require information or paperwork before they allow anypony into Gymkhana right now. He also told us the name of one of Luna's allies, who's the patron of the Amber Cottage. I expect he'll know the deal with the Republic.” Soarin explained, before his voice became more rushed. “But we've gotta get moving, Dashie! The patrol will be by in ten minutes.”

“Alright,” Rainbow said, preparing to get off the edge of the container. “You wanna walk, Scoots?”

“No...” Scoot said, shaking her head against Rainbow's chest.

“Alright, I'll let ya ride my back,” Rainbow Dash offered.

“Can you... carry me?” Scootaloo asked softly. “I don't wanna ride...”

“Of course,” Dash said, giving her wings a flap and rising several inches into the air, keeping her hooves wrapped around the filly.

Out of no where, out of nothing, a potentially wonderful idea struck her. An idea she was sure would make Scootaloo happy. She looked inquisitively at Soarin for a moment. He simply stared back, confused.

“Scoots... do you wanna go up with Soarin? Let him carry for you a little bit, so I can talk to my friends and Rapidfire?” Dash asked, floating next to Soarin.

“Uh... okay,” Scootaloo agreed in a sleepy voice.

“You don't mind, do you, Soar?” Rainbow asked him.

“I don't mind at all, no!” he reassured her, though he still gave her a curious look as he gently took the filly from her, now using his own wings to hover a few inches from the ground.

“Thanks...” Dash said, smiling warmly at him as she watched Scoot's wings give a quick little buzz as the Wonderbolt placed her on his shoulder. Scootaloo wrapped her arms around his neck and Dash was sure she closed her eyes.

Falling back to all fours, she started to walk alongside him as he flapped his wings evenly, drifting along with her child in his arms. She wasn't really entirely sure why the idea struck her, but she loved seeing them together. She knew Scootaloo wouldn't object, remembering with fondness at how happy the filly was to fly with Soarin during that day in Cloudsdale. If they could all get out of this nightmare in one piece, she told herself, who knew what kind of bond Scootaloo and Soarin could have one day?

Something strange crossed her stomach like a poison, making her suddenly feel as though she had come down with a terrible feather flu. She recognized it immediately as guilt, something she was no stranger to. Was it guilt for promising Scootaloo she would stay by her side, yet depositing her on Soarin? No, she reasoned, that wasn't it, since Scootaloo is comfortable around him. Did it have something to do with Soarin himself? She confirmed these suspicions through an uncomfortable belly clench.

Approaching the city gates where her friends had gathered with Rapidfire, Dash averted her eyes from Bottle Rocket and the pilot, who was now standing next to him.

“I'm staying on the scene for a few days, just in case you need an escape,” the anubis explained to the group at large. “I'll inform any patrolling guards that I need to make repairs to the copter, and that the parts I need are on a caravan from Half Rock. That's a two-day journey from here.”

At last, they crossed the threshold, entering the city at last. Once inside the walls of Gymkhana, Rainbow's eyes panned across her immediate surroundings. She could see empty stalls surrounding a large fountain to their left. The road from the gate forked into three directions, including along the stalls. Directly ahead of them, she saw the road lead to a flight of stairs at the end of a row of square, clay houses, leading to a higher level of the city. She could see the palace dominating the skyline ahead, although the road above the stairs did not lead directly to it. To the right, the road continued through another residential district. A single road bisected it at the end, clearly visible from the gates.

“Dere's our cross...” Rapidfire spoke softly, jerking his head down the right road.

“Now, you are absolutely certain, are you, Rapidfire?” Rarity asked, throwing a nervous look at a pair of guards strolling up the street from the market. “We can't haunt these streets too long, it isn't safe.”

“Absalutey. Dis ain't my first time 'ere, Miss Rarity. Down dat road lies da Amba Cottage. Dat's where we'll find Amadeus. Botta Rocket sed dat was Luna's contact, so dat's who we're goin' after,” Rapidfire said, turning right as they walked away from the gates. “If we look like we're jus' walkin' 'round lost, it'll look su'picious.”

Rainbow thought he had a pretty good point. She followed the road right, falling into pace next to Twilight, half-trying to listen to the whispers she could hear coming from Soarin and Scootaloo. They were talking to each other, but she didn't want to wedge herself between them. Instead, she focused on Twilight beside her. Her now-silver-maned friend seemed to be watching the back of Rapidfire's red and grey mane, if only to give herself something to follow. Twilight's eyes were unfocused.

“Twilight?” Rainbow voice broke the silence her after a moment's hesitation. Her throat was oddly constricted, causing the voice to issue out hoarser than she had intended, and certainly lower than she did.

“What is it, Rainbow?” Twilight responded after equal hesitation.

“Just, y'know, wondering about your thoughts, that's all.” Dash shrugged.

“I'm thinking... about the New Lunar Republic. They wanted to lead us to the Amber Cottage. Can they be trusted? Can this Amadeus be trusted?” Twilight asked rhetorically. “The Republic supported Nightmare Moon's vision of eternal night, covering this land like a blanket, a shadow.

“What... are you getting at?” Dash asked, feeling a cold sweat on the back of her neck, dripping through her mane.

“There's nothing to tell us that the Republic and the Voidwalker are not tied somehow. Maybe I'm wholeheartedly wrong! That would be a welcome outcome. After all, they praised Nightmare Moon, it's possible that that means they are loyal to Princess Luna, too.”

“That's what I'm hoping for...” Fluttershy mumbled, evidently overhearing them. “This place already feels like it's covered in a blanket, though... the dark houses and empty streets!” Her voice was almost panicky. “It's the Festival of Summer Flames, but I didn't see bonfires as we flew over. Only the darkness, save for a few braziers....”

“There's a curfew, remember?” Applejack said, patting Fluttershy softly on the back. “That's what that Bottle Rocket idiot said, anyway!”

“Exactly,” Rapidfire said. “Da guards dat watched us arrive prob' ain't gonna botha us if we look like we knows where we're goin'. We keep movin' like we're just tryin' to get indoors, and dey won't feel the need to enlighten us o' da curfew.”

“Well, we're almost there,” Soarin said from the back. Dash turned around and saw him staring to the left.

Following his gaze, she saw a long building just beyond the crisscrossing street. It was made of stone or concrete, like most of the surrounding constructions, but it was artfully decorated with exterior wooden panels and walls, all painted orange. It looked quite old, however, as the paint was peeling in several places. Was it simply weathered, Dash wondered?

“We'll get you to bed soon, Scoots!” Dash said gently to Scootaloo's back. “Maybe even back home if Luna is here.”

“She's already asleep,” Soarin explained in a low voice. “We were talking and she just dozed off mid conversation. Preening her at the same time probably didn't help, I noticed she had a few bent feathers...”

“Aaah,” Dash moaned softly, beaming at him as a warmth rose in her chest. “Knew you could help her relax, Soar.”

“Why?”

“She likes you,” Dash went on. “Ever since you took her flying, she's been super approving of you! She spent that week after the airshow constantly asking about you...”

She trailed off as the uncomfortable feeling tore at her again, extinguishing the warmth. She had a sneaking idea where this guilt could be coming from. Her mind fell across that wonderful night alone with Soarin. Squirm. That was definitely it. It had to be, she thought. She tried a different tact.

“Sooo, what were you kids talking about?” Rainbow asked him in a would-be casual voice.

“I told her I wouldn't tell you!” Soarin chuckled softly.

“Oh, is that so?” Rainbow Dash challenged, grinning. “We'll see about that!”

She followed her friends across the road and through an iron gate outside of the flat little inn. Up a few stone steps and through an iron-grated, heavy wooden door that rang a bell when opened.

“It's so... bright!” Pinkie mused quietly as they all stepped into the main room.

Bright was right, Dash agreed. The immediate interior of the Amber Cottage greeted the eyes like a spontaneous combustion. Warm reds and oranges illuminated by gas lamps and candles adorned every surface, from the wallpaper and painted amber ceiling, a soft yellow-gold rug that covered most of the floor. The smell of food wafted in from a door possibly leading off to a kitchen at the far end of the room, adorned with chairs and tables.

Rapidfire approached a single desk at the back of the room, where a white satyr was speaking with Gymkhanites stallion.

“Wake up call for eight in the morning, then?” The satyr asked, the stallion nodding in response. “Very well. Have a good sleep, sir.”

Rapidfire approached the counter, with Twilight stepping up beside him. Rainbow Dash knew that they would be required to confirm their identities, as per the note left behind by the New Lunar Republic.

“A big group, I see!” The satyr spoke up, studying them all. “I am very sorry, folks... The Amber Cottage is quite near capacity. An entire wing has been closed for renovat—” He stopped abruptly the moment the stallion disappeared through the door on the right side of the room. He narrowed his eyes at them, peering over the desk to fix his gaze upon Twilight Sparkle's cutie mark. He cleared his throat significantly. “What is it that binds harmony?”

“The magic of friendship,” Twilight responded immediately.

“Twilight Sparkle,” the satyr said softly, exhaling. “I am relieved you and your friends are here at last.”

“We affirm our own alleviation on that, sir,” Rarity said, approaching the desk. “We are just as relieved to be here.”

“Good to hear! My name is Amadeus and I have been working side by side with Princess Luna since she arrived in the city. We have so much to discuss, but you all must be exhausted!” Amadeus moved to the kitchen, returning within seconds with a pitcher of iced juice and a tower of teetering cups. “I shall get food.”

“It'll be nice to finally get some answers,” Twilight said, magicking the pitcher to fill several cups.

“You think this guy is part of that Republic?” Rarity asked. “After all, Nightmare Moon is an alicorn, so I would have made the presumption that only ponies would praise her.”

“The Republic ain't selective!” Applejack said savagely, passing a cup to Apple bloom. “They'll take in any folk, s'long as they're corrupt enough!”

No one said anything in response. Rainbow Dash still wasn't sure whether or not she wanted to believe the Republic were allies. Not wishing to continue on her spiral to a bleak frame of mind, she did not voice these doubts.

Amadeus returned with some fruit, vegetable, and a few strange pastries shaped like rolls that Rainbow had never seen before. The group accepted the food with thanks and ate until their tummies were full. Dash had persuaded Scootaloo to wake up long enough to eat and drink something, but she soon fell asleep again, still in Soarin's arms. With a meaningful look to Rarity and Applejack, she cleared her throat significantly and spoke to Amadeus.

“First things first... can we get a room, Amadeus? Should really get the fillies to bed before we talk,” Rainbow Dash said briskly.

“Of course, madame,” the satyr said, moving forward to the left side of the room. With a click, he unlocked the far left door. “I have several rooms this way. Princess Luna requested I close this wing off. Bad for business, I assure you! Nevertheless, we wanted to ensure you all had a safe place to stay, and beds to boot.”

Rainbow Dash took Scootaloo carefully from Soarin's arms. It wasn't an easy task; Soarin had her turned into his chest with her arms around his neck. After a few tense moments, Dash was able to slid the filly off his chest and into her own. Soarin grinned her success, holding out his hoof.

“Thanks,” Dash said, pecking him on the cheek as she hoof-bumped him. “You're a real sweetheart sometimes, Soar.”

“Only sometimes, eh?” Soarin grinned at her, giving her a quick squeeze with one of his wings.

“C'mon, darling,” Rarity said gently, levitating Sweetie Belle with her magic. “Despite a nap earlier, you must need a respite of a good, solid eight hours! You poor fillies have had a long day.”

“I'll say... I can't remember when we last slept before you lot found our h-h-hiding spot...” Sweetie yawned hugely, floating along ahead of Rarity. “I approve of this method of transport, by the way...”

Apple Bloom was the only Crusader still on her hooves and not sleeping, although she did look exhausted. She made no comment as she followed Applejack over to the door, yawning softly. Applejack paused to yank her up by the mane, grabbing her around the bow and tossing her over her back.

“Let's get you to bed, hun!” Applejack said sweetly, once Apple Bloom dug her hooves into her sister's back in alarm.

“C-careful, Applejack!” Apple Bloom stuttered, “I ain't a kitten!”

Dash floated through the door after Rarity, entering a long hallway reminiscent of the second floor of the Herodotus. However, it was not nearly as long, only four doors on either side. The floor was wooden and had a single long rug stretching down the length. Like the rest of the inn, the wallpaper adorning the walls was a fiery orange. Dash could hear Applejack trotting behind her, catching up after apologizing enough times to Bloom to satisfy her.

“So, which door?” Dash asked uncertainly, gazing around at the darkness illuminated by one solitary candelabra hung from the ceiling.

Rarity tried a couple of the doors. “Two beds in here...” she said, before peering into the next one. “Three in here! In you go, sweetheart.” Rarity floated her sister toward the doorway.

“Watch my head!” The filly snarled as the aura of magic veered dangerously close to the door frame.

Rainbow flew inside and, after pulling back the sheets on the bed closest to the door, gently laid Scootaloo on her belly, covering her up with the sheet again. There was a distance of some four feet between this bed and the next one, which Apple Bloom had climbed into. Dash watched Applejack sit on the edge of the bed, leaning down to hug her sister. Rarity imitated Rainbow Dash and deposited her sister on the bed opposite the two others, once she deftly magicked the bedsheets away. Levitating them back and tucking them in around Sweetie Belle's body with her hooves, Rarity leaned down to kiss her forehead, before finally illuminating the three candles on the three bedside tables with her magic.

“Uh, Rarity...” Sweetie asked, a little embarrassedly. “You wouldn't exactly be party to, uh, staying with me for awhile, would you?”

“I shan't leave your side 'til you shoo me away!” Rarity told her happily.

“Y'all talk funny...” Apple Bloom said, yawning and closing her eyes, rolling onto her side.

“Just until I fall asleep is good... I don't want to make you hover over me all night,” Sweetie said, closing her eyes as well.

“We should probably spend the night in here, too,” Applejack suggested, kissing Bloom on the forehead.

“Sounds awesome to me,” Dash agreed, finding herself almost lost in just watching Scootaloo sleep. “To be honest, I kinda don't want to go back out there. Putting Scoots safely to bed and just... being here with her. It feels right. It's kinda therapeutic.”

Applejack and Rarity both gave her looks that told her plainly that they felt the same way. This small and dingy room nevertheless had a home comfort to it, with soft beds for their charges and a pleasant heat in the air from the desert climate.

“Girls, I just... I hate being on this mission. I haven't felt right in my stomach since the stupid boat reached this rock. I'd be happy to just stay here with Scootaloo all night. Y'know, just screw the mission...” Dash shrugged quietly.

“Don't you want to hear all about Princess Luna's plan, Rainbow?” Rarity asked her in a whisper. “That's so very, very important.”

“'Course I do!” Rainbow whispered back, stung at this. “But it's just been so much to take in, since before that airshow... I just want a peaceful break where the bad stuff is temporarily at bay. Is that too much to ask?” She turned to study the sleeping filly. “Just stressing out over poor Scoots and her anxiety, preparing for the airshow and Soarin being an idiot half the time, then stressing out over whether, y'know...”

“Know what, exactly?” Applejack asked, stroking a hoof through her sister's hair.

“Well...” Dash checked Scootaloo again, making sure she was definitely asleep. “We should have waited. Me and Soar. After the airshow, I mean. And to cap it all off, once all that was said and done, The Shadow popped up not a full week later!”

“I definitely hear ya, Dash. Y'all have had loads on yer plate, nopony denyin' that. But what in tarnation ya mean by 'shoulda waited'?” Applejack asked quietly, checking to ensure Apple Bloom had drifted off as well.

“He's just worth it, AJ. We got so carried away in the post show, with the drinking and dancing at that stupid club. It all felt so amazing and made me so unbearably happy, I guess I got... carried away. We both did, I guess. We should have waited... shoulda waited.”

“So... you regret it, then?” Rarity enquired, stroking the sleeping Sweetie's mane softly.

“I dunno...” Dash sighed, “That's been the only real opportunity we've had to just be ourselves, alone with each other, coming down off our little emotional highs after that cheering crowd.”

“Gosh, ain't pregnant, are ya?” Applejack asked, throwing her eyes to the heavens as she rolled them. “That's jes' whatcha need right now.”

Rainbow gave a sharp, low laugh. “Yeeeaaah, good luck with that happening! As Scoots would say...” Dash tapped her stomach. “I'm broken. And unlike these,” she went on, tugging back Scootaloo's sheets to take a look at her wings. She could see several in a neat row where Soarin had preened her, “I can't get better with training.”

“You really believe she'll fly, then?” Rarity asked quietly.

“Absolutely. Scoots hasn't failed me yet and she never will.”

“Back to the Soarin thing... now, don't get me wrong,” Applejack whispered. “I've done things I regret when it comes to stallions, but I see you and Soarin like yer already dating. Y'all have never been closer, right? What's the problem, exactly?”

“I just feel guilty about it. That's all. I don't know why...” Rainbow shrugged, pulling the sheets back over her daughter and watching them rise and fall with her breathing.

“You don't know why are you feeling guilty?” Rarity asked, evidently seeking clarification. “Wait... shed some light on this, dear, like a phosphorescent opal: Rainbow Dash, did you take advan—”

“No!” Dash hissed defensively, burying her hooves into her face. “No, no, absolutely not. Was nothin' like that! C'mon, you girls know me... it was just, I dunno, seeing him getting on so well with Scootaloo, makes me think we should have waited. Like it woulda been the right thing to do! That's all.”

“So, what was with Soarin carryin' Scootaloo back there, huh?” Applejack asked after a moment's pause.

“Scoot's comfortable around him. 'sides, I like seeming 'em together! Makes me all fuzzy 'n' junk.” Rainbow shrugged, still watching the orange filly sleep.

“Hmm...” Applejack was clearly deep in thought. “I think I've got me an idea as to why yer all worried like this, Dash.”

“Oh?” Dash asked, cocking an eyebrow.

“Yep. I think I do. What you say, Rare? You thinkin' along the same lines as me, or are ya confused?” Applejack asked, throwing the unicorn a look.

“I think you may be absolutely correct, Applejack,” Rarity responded, inclining her head to the earth mare. “I've suspected this would happen. It was only a matter of time.”

“Uh, what?” Rainbow Dash had absolutely no idea what they were talking about.

“You're...” Rarity began.

“... in love!” Applejack finished.

“HA!” Rainbow Dash immediately threw a hoof to her mouth. She had laughed so hard she could have woken up the fillies. Indeed, Apple Bloom was stirring and Scootaloo mumbled incoherently for several long seconds. “Oops... anyways, me? In love? Get real, you two! Me and Soar have got a long way to go, I think. I thought that took time, anyway?”

“You act like y'all have only jes' met!” Applejack grinned at her. “And you keep callin' him 'Soar'.”

“Bad habit I slipped into,” Rainbow said with distinction. “And stop smirking, Rarity!”

“But you most certainly have a powerful infatuation! Had one for years, did you not?” Rarity asked.

“Yeah, I'm not sayin' that isn't true! I mean, yeah, I would like him to be Scootaloo's dad one day. I mean, c'mon, who wouldn't? Rich and talented, handsome, athletic, an effing' Wonderbolt...”

“Lookit 'er, Rare!” Applejack laughed. “She's glowin' like a ripe red delicious!”

“I don't love Soarin!” Rainbow said firmly. “At least, not yet. I'm not saying I'm not totally crushing' on him something fierce, but I haven't fallen in love with him. End of story...” She wasn't really sure why she was taking so much offense to this. After all, the thought of the two of them falling in love caused cascades of delight in her heart. But, she told herself, she'd know if she was already in love, right? “Let's just... go back and hear what this satyr got to say.”

The other mares just shrugged, still smiling to each other, and accompanied Rainbow Dash quietly from the room.

“Sweet Celestia, ya took ya time!” Rapidfire bellowed as the three of them re-entered the front room.

“Sorry, sorry!” Rainbow said, hooves up defensively. “Simmer down before you experience heart failure, Rapid! That's a risk when you're a hundred and forty.”

“Ye'h, real funny! We've been waitin' on precious information, 'n' 'Amadeus here told us dat our time is very short.”

“Whatcha mean, 'short?'” Applejack asked, looking around.

“Well, Amadeus told us a few things,” Twilight explained quickly. “Like how the New Lunar Republic is working with Princess Luna; they'll serve her, no matter what form she is in. And...”

“And...” Soarin spoke up, removing his face from his hooves. “Dashie... they have Spitfire.”

What?!” Rainbow gasped. “They were caught?!”

“Yep,” Rapidfire said painfully. “Dey managed t' get Wave Chill and dat warlock away from da ship, but dey got caught in da end.”

“Luna has found out some details on the Voidwalker,” Amadeus explained. “She has been working very hard, working tirelessly against these usurpers. She has infiltrated the Gymkhana ruling body, who are presently nothing but puppets to the usurpers.”

“What has she been doin', exactly?” Applejack asked.

“Well, she has not given the Republic all of the details, our reputation have not endeared ourselves to her. However, we are presently building up a resistance in the common Gymkhanites, a militia to match the military might of Azure Wings.”

“Azure Wings? That kind of sounds familiar...” Dash said softly.

“Azure Wings is Wave Chill's pseudonym,” Soarin explained.

“Does Luna know if Wave is being controlled or not?” Rainbow asked.

“All we know, unless the Princess is concealing more information from the Republic, is that Azure Wings and Gwyndolin, the warlock, are the leaders of our enemies. Whether or not there is something higher up controlling either or both of them remains to be seen,” Amadeus said. “What's more, we are not the only ones working against this new government. There is a small group presently in the city, working in the shadows, spreading warning to the common folk not to trust the propaganda against Equestria and Princess Celestia. We haven't made contact yet.

“One thing at a time, then! So, what's our first move?” Twilight asked. “Has Luna told you what she wishes us to do?”

“Luna is presently focused on freeing the Wonderbolts. She has told me that she will be touching base here in the morning, so you can get a proper debriefing from her then.”

“Excuse me? Um, sorry to butt in...” Fluttershy whimpered. Rainbow Dash only now realized that the shy pegasus seemed intimidated by the satyr. “Um... does Princess Luna know what the Voidwalker is after?”

“I believe she does,” Amadeus confirmed, smiling at Fluttershy. “She will give you the details in the morning. Now, any other questions before I move on?”

“I daresay we got 'nuff to get by until we talk to da Princess,” Rapidfire said. “Now, wha' did ya mean when ya told us dat time is very short?”

“Long story, short...” Amadeus said with a deep breath. “Luna wants Azure Wings and Gwyndolin taken down before seven o'clock on the evening of June 24th, before they can act! That is only Monday.”

“Uh, oh! You're gonna miss the spa's 'half-price Mondays' that you wanted to be home for, Rarity!” Pinkie Pie said tragically.

“So, anyway,” Twilight said quickly, frowning uneasily as Pinkie Pie continued pulling horrifying faces. “Why must they be taken down specifically before seven on Monday?”

“Because that is effectively... our time limit,” Amadeus said, closing his eyes for a moment and taking a deep breath.

“Time limit?” Soarin asked, his eyes widening. “That does not fill me with confidence...”

“They intend to summon the Voidwalker on the citizens of Gymkhana on that exact hour,” the satyr finished, shaking his head. “If this war is still going before then, we will need to evacuate the entire city! The Voidwalker will destroy it and everyone within will die.” Rainbow's friends were gasping and she felt her breath vanish from her chest. “They will blame the Voidwalker on Princess Celestia. Dragonspire and Griffon Peaks have been adamant supporters of Gymkhana since the initial attack on the city, when the Wonderbolts were involved. As I believe the Princess has already told you, the government has blamed Princess Celestia and the Wonderbolts for this darkness once before.”

“W-what'll we d-do?!” Fluttershy cried, blinking away tears as she stared in utter defeat at the satyr.

“Princess Luna has told me you six mares possess incredible power. You will need to win this clash in the city or defeat the Voidwalker yourselves, or Princess Luna fears the destruction of the city will spark a war between the East and the West, with the Voidwalker at the helm. Equestria will fall from the combined force of the dragons and the griffons, or else be consumed by The Shadow. The Republic and the citizens of this city will help you the best we can, but Luna believes you six will be what wins this battle in the end.”

Silence filled the room as Amadeus finished speaking. Soarin and Rapidfire were throwing each other meaningful looks. As Soarin glanced toward Rainbow Dash, she found herself overcome with an urge to fling herself into his arms. Her heart was pounding so hard in her chest that it was painful, thundering the blood to her extremities. How could it be that they only left Equestria the day before? Yet it would all be over in less than seventy-two hours. Her gut feeling had been right all along; there was no waking from this nightmare.

Her thoughts drifted to that wonderful filly sleeping just down the left hallway and she wanted to vomit. She had to get Scootaloo home somehow, she told herself. Luna must send the fillies home through her moon sanctuary, leaving their sisters and mother at the gates of Hell without them.

“If we don't pull this off... then we're dead,” Rainbow said to the silent room. “If they summon the Voidwalker, we're going to die. And there's no way out of it!” Her voice was rising hysterically.

“No!” Twilight said fiercely. “If we can't take down Wave Chill and Gwyndolin before they summon the Voidwalker, we WILL hit it with the Elements of Harmony. We'll give it everything we've got! We can't fail! Equestria's fate is on us!”

“We can't lose faith now,” Rapidfire spoke clearly. “We meet da Princess in da morn', get da Elements you lot use, we get da 'Bolts safely from dere clutches, 'n' we fight da military directly. Dey won't 'ave a chance t' summon da Voidwalker.”

“I hope not...” Twilight sighed. “Girls, we should get to sleep. We've got a long three days ahead of us...”

PreviousChapters Next