• Published 31st Mar 2013
  • 9,855 Views, 1,155 Comments

What's Really the Most Important? - KrishnaKarnak



Rainbow Dash's life with Scootaloo has begun. But with a nasty disorder growing in the young Scoot, will Rainbow be able to balance affections between her and Rainbow's crush, Soarin? A mission to Saddle Arabia is about to make everything m

  • ...
20
 1,155
 9,855

PreviousChapters Next
27 Confrontations and Confirmations

Scootaloo's soft whimper echoed out over the void once Dash felt her hooves land on a solid surface. Drawing in a great breath of air as the feeling returned to her limbs, Rainbow Dash could still feel the filly on her shoulders. Hastening to put her down, Dash dropped to all fours.

“Rainbow Dash! I c-c-can't see you!” Scootaloo cried. “I've gone blind!”

“Sssh, everything is fine, Scoots...” Rainbow Dash spoke clearly to her, sitting down on her flank and holding the filly close to her body. “You can see fine, it's just real dark here! Princess Luna sent us here and we'll meet her in a few moments.”

“I'm scared, Sis...” Scootaloo quivered in an escalated sob as Dash squeezed her tighter.

“Scootaloo? Is that you?” a familiar voice called out from a short distance behind them. “Dashie?”

Dash's heart jumped into outer space. “Soarin!” Dash gasped in surprise, twisting her head around. She could not see anything through the blackness all around them. She could feel Scootaloo trying to look as well, still quivering. “Man, am I glad to hear your voice! I wish Luna gave us a little more warning before warping us away like this!”

“I... don't think this is Luna, Dashie...” Soarin replied in a worried tone. “I've been here for a few minutes, but I haven't seen a single soul arrive since. I was standing with Spitfire, too, so it seems like only I've been dragged here.”

Dash felt a flutter of fear in her belly. Now that she thought about it, the last time they had all been warped together as a group. Why would Princess Luna single out Soarin and herself, or even bring Scootaloo to this spooky plane? She could still hear Scootaloo's soft whimpers of fear as she tried to lead Soarin to her with her voice.

“Yeah, this isn't like before...” Dash admitted, her eyes darting all around in search of a source of light. She reached out and felt Soarin's side as he finally found his way over to her. Dash could feel tough fibres; Soarin was in his flight suit. Scootaloo's tears were warm against Dash's chest. “It's okay, sweetie... I know you're scared, but Dashie and Soarin are with you.”

“I don't like this...” she continued to sob as Dash stroked her mane softly.

“There's no reason to be scared, Scoots!” Soarin whispered to her and Dash could feel him lean over her to stroke the filly's mane himself. “I made you a Wonderbolt Recruit, remember? That means you're really tough!”

WE KNOW.” echoed a harsh and raspy voice from above them.

“What the HELL was that?!” Dash panicked, unable to stop herself as dread flooded her. She whipped her head high at the noise and positively smacked Soarin away from her when it collided with his jaw.

Scootaloo had fallen so silent that Dash would have been worried that she had disappeared. She could feel the girl shaking against her body so hard that it was like Scoot was freezing to death. She felt Soarin scramble back over to them, groaning a little. He wrapped his wings around herself and Scootaloo, as though he were trying to shield them. The top of Rainbow's head was throbbing viciously.

“Who are you?” Soarin demanded, his voice displaying a fury above anything Dash had yet heard. “Show yourself!”

WE KNOW THAT YOU AND YOUR TEAM ARE PLANNING TO RETURN.” the voice hissed. “STAY OUT OF THE DESERT, FIRST OFFICER SOARIN. WE KNOW THAT YOU MET WITH THE TEAM IN CLOUDSDALE, RAINBOW DASH. WE KNOW YOU SERVE THE SUN PRINCESS. STAY OUT OF THE DESERT LEST ALL OF EQUESTRIA SUFFERS THE WRATH OF THE VOIDWALKER. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Before Dash had a chance to open her mouth again, she felt her body contract once more. All she could do was clutch to her filly for dear life as all the weight left her body. It was like she was floating along in nothingness until she finally felt her flank touch down on another solid surface and her vision was assaulted by a bright light.

“Oh, thank Heavens!” Twilight Sparkle's voice broke with relief.

Rainbow Dash blinked a few times to clear her eyes. As Soarin's wings retracted, Dash could see all of her friends very clearly. They were arranged around Princess Luna along with Spitfire, Rapidfire, the two Streak brothers, and Fleetfoot. Dash realized where they were; they were back on the dark side of the moon. The group quickly moved to crowd around the newcomers as Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom ran forward to embrace Scootaloo. Rainbow saw that the light was coming from Luna's horn.

“What happened?” Princess Luna asked sharply, the dark alicorn striding over. “I attempted to summon you all here, for I have important news that cannot wait. However, the three of you did not arrive immediately.”

“We don't know what happened, Princess,” Soarin began, giving her a swift bow, “but it seems that we were intercepted.”

Intercepted?!” Luna's eyes widened. “Impossible.”

“Nu uh!” Scootaloo contradicted in a shaky voice, pulling away from the other fillies. Sweetie Belle had tears in her eyes and Apple Bloom looked very reluctant to let go of her. “It was all dark, Princess Luna! It w-was me, Rainbow Dash, and Soarin and we were trapped and I thought I was blind!” Scootaloo took a steadying breath, wiping her eyes.

The alicorn bent her legs low to put herself on a level with the young pegasus, real concern visible in her dark eyes. “What happened when you were all there, Scootaloo?”

“A v-voice... a horrible voice yelled out! It told Rainbow Dash and Soarin not to go to the desert!” Scootaloo whimpered. “Don't make them go...”

“You have done wonderfully in facing your own fears, Scootaloo.” Princess Luna said gently, extending a hoof to her shoulder. “You must allow your mother the same opportunity. I will watch over her to the fullest extent of my great power. You have my word.”

“Sounds like I'm on my own!” Soarin tried to joke lightly, though his voice cracked. Dash could hear Spitfire mumbling scathingly.

Scootaloo gave the alicorn a slow nod of assent. Rainbow Dash was taken aback by this, impressed by her daughter's quick acceptance of the Princess' word. She felt a little inadequate when she saw how quickly Luna had reassured Scootaloo, however. Her own attempts were never that successful.

Luna's legs straightened out again and she turned to face Rainbow Dash. “Did this voice say anything else?”

“It believed that I'm working directly with Princess Celestia rather than you. Told me to stay away for Equestria's sake. It knew that I was with the Wonderbolts yesterday!” Rainbow shuddered, apprehension building in her breast.

“I dunno how or care why this thing intercepted you, but we won't be staying away. It dared to harm us and now we'll repay it in kind!” Spitfire said with a determined air. “If it recognized you then should be safe under Twilight Sparkle's disguise spell. Hell, we all should. I dunno how it knew what you were doing, but we're gonna crawl under its nose.”

“For now, the question of how it managed to pull you three from my grasp remains to be seen.” Princess Luna said once Spitfire had her say. “Is that all, Rainbow Dash?”

“No,” Dash replied, looking over at Soarin, “that wasn't everything it said, Princess. I'm pretty sure it went ahead and told us the name of The Shadow.”

“What?!” Applejack gasped. “Y'all kept that quiet!”

“It mentioned a 'Voidwalker'.” Soarin explained. “Are any of you familiar with that term?”

“Read about anything like that, Twilight?” Rainbow added.

“It doesn't ring a bell. I'm sorry...” Twilight sighed, shaking her head.

The others gave similar answers. All except for Luna.

“I am positive that I have heard that term before. I will ask my sister to put some ponies on research while we are at work in Saddle Arabia.” the alicorn said, flexing her wings. “For now, it is best to assume The Shadow is fully aware of our actions. That is part of the reason I had pulled you all from the Summer Sun Celebration in the first place. My work in Gymkhana has lead me to uncover an espionage scheme against our kingdom. This, I assume, is how our enemy knew of your actions, Rainbow Dash.”

“Is dere an actual spy, Princess?” Rapidfire asked, running a hoof through his cinnabar hair, streaked with charcoal. “Perhaps we could uncovah 'im or 'er if we did some investa'gatin' before we lef'.”

Princess Luna shook her head, her constantly rippling mane swirling through the air. “They are using powerful scrying methods that I have never witnessed before. They have a seer who is using the collective magic in the air surrounding Canterlot as a viewing portal that stretches as far as Cloudsdale. I pray that The Shadow is as of yet unaware of my own actions in Saddle Arabia, for I am presently a hired adviser in a new branch of government that has been set up in recent days in response to the present climate. Wave Chill has been behind its creation and I can confirm that he is still using that name privately.”

Rainbow Dash's feelings of unease was increasing with each passing minute. She gave Soarin a quick glance. He had a look in his eyes that was terrible to behold. It was almost psychotic. Glancing about, Dash noticed that Scootaloo was looking her confusion as well.

“He's not hiding the fact that he's betrayed the team, then? Betrayed me?” Soarin asked, eyes squinting as though he had just experienced a jolt of physical pain. Rainbow Dash stretched out a hoof to him but she could not be certain if he had seen it or not. Soarin proceeded as though he had not. “No disrespect, Princess, but us hiding here and hoping that the scryers look the other way cannot be doing us any good.”

“I agree with Soarin.” Spitfire said, a fury burning in her amber eyes. “If there's nothing left for us to plan here, I suggest we get to Baltimare so we can depart immediately. Perhaps it would be wise to remain undisguised until we reach the Eastern shores? If they can see Canterlot and Cloudsdale, then it's probably best to think that Gymkhana is already preparing for us. They can watch us leave and we can disguise once we are outside of the scrying range of Canterlot!”

“I'm wid' the Cap'in and Soarin, meself.” Rapidfire nodded. “The quicka we get over dere the quicka we get some action. And Spitfiah's right, if we disguise en route den' dere's no way we'll be detectahble.”

“Ha! While they are busy awaiting the arrival of our warring entourage, we shall already be perfectly positioned under their noses! They won't know we have arrived and our glorious Elements of Harmony will make quick work of The Shadow! Or... Voidwalker, or whatever, and we'll be home in time for the spa's 'half-price Mondays'!” Rarity said confidently.

“S'long as Soarin's cutie mark doesn't give us away, that is.” Fire Streak cautioned. “We use that as our current emblem, so here's a suggestion: we'll go without our flight suits and, if we cover up his mark, we might not even need disguises. Few ponies in the streets know what we look like without these suits on, and good luck finding any others over in Saddle Arabia!”

“You're forgetting Wave Chill.” Lightning Streak said dully. “He knows exactly what we look like.”

“I don't see that as a problem, Lightning.” Spitfire snarled. “I'd like nothing more than to be close enough to him for him to recognize us. It'll make this mission a hell of a lot simpler if we're close enough to get our hooves around his throat.”

Rainbow listened to the Wonderbolts talk. The ugly look playing around Spitfire's face was matched on Soarin's, although neither Rapidfire nor either of the Streak brothers looked as vindictive. Dash wondered exactly how close Spitfire had been to Wave Chill, considering it was his brother who she had fallen in love with.

'At least she isn't giving Soarin her hatred right now...' Dash thought miserably. 'Instead, they're both in a murderous mood. I dunno how this is going to end well. I'm not going to let Soarin do anything stupid.'

“The Wonderbolts do not intend to disguise, then?” Princess Luna asked, an eyebrow raised. “I'm not sure I can allow that, Captain. Our secrecy is crucial to the mission. How do you intend for the Elements of Harmony to strike a blow to the usurpers if your rashness sabotages the entire operation?”

“We will form two groups if we must, then!” Spitfire suggested stubbornly.

“We are not separating!” Dash snapped, moving quickly to stand next to Soarin, Scootaloo still by her side. The filly was whispering to the other Crusaders, the present discussion clearly lost on them. “We'll do this together, Captain!”

“Who the hell do you think you are to speak to me like that?” Spitfire said in a dangerous tremble, moving to stand face to face with the rainbow-maned pegasus.

“Speak to you like what, huh? Like a child? Geez, maybe you shouldn't act like one next ti-” Dash fumed, interrupted by Twilight Sparkle.

“Girls, please!” the unicorn groaned, moving quickly to stand between them as Applejack placed a hoof on Rainbow's shoulder.

You are speaking to the CAPTAIN of the WONDERBOLTS, you worthless foal!” Spitfire roared in a vehement hiss, her voice shaking with indignation.

She looked as though she was going to attempt to strike Rainbow Dash, but the moment Rapidfire placed an arm in front of her, the fight completely vanished from her. She gave the elder pony a single cold look, a fire in her orange eyes. Rapidfire simply looked with concern in his dull blue eyes.

“No, I'm speaking to AN IDIOT!” Dash snapped as she made to charge forward herself. Applejack was quick on the uptake, grabbing Dash's tail by the teeth. “Let GO of me, AJ!”

“Sis!” Scootaloo said in a worried shriek. “I d-don't like fighting!”

That will do!” Luna's earth-shattering voice echoed throughout the void of the moon prism. All struggling ceased immediately. “Absolutely pathetic behaviour we have witnessed! The Elements of Harmony and the Wonderbolts will work together as one cohesive group lest the plan splinter! There will be no arguments. Have we made ourselves clear?

“Crystal clear, Princess.” Spitfire said crisply, glaring at Rainbow Dash with something like hatred in her eyes. “Please allow us to remain undisguised. You know what group the Wonderbolts serve under, Princess. It would be disgraceful to our militant order to disguise and crawl around in the shadows, that's all. But if Wave Chill himself spots us, then we'll deal with him ourselves.”

Luna seemed to consider Spitfire's words. After a moment, she finally spoke. “Very well, Captain. Just remember that you are commissioned by the Regal Sisters. Next time the safety of this group clashes with the Order's methods, Princess Celestia or I will deal with your superiors' objections ourselves.”

Rainbow Dash did not have a clue what they were talking about. She knew that there was more to the Wonderbolts than meets the eye, this was true. She knew they had strict military training for a group that are labelled as aerobatic performers to the public. 'But... superiors?' Who exactly did Spitfire, and by extension, the Wonderbolts themselves, serve under? Dash had no idea and she knew better than to try to get information out of Soarin. And she certainly wasn't planning on approaching Spitfire any time soon.

“So... off to Baltimare!” Pinkie cheered, as though that entire exchange had not taken place. “Then we all get to see Twilight's disguises for us! Pinkie Pie and Pinkie Fly! We can both say proudly 'I am the tag-team champions!'” she gave Rainbow Dash a swift hug, Dash rolling her eyes.

“Let's git 'er done, then!” Applejack cheered.

“Oh dear... it's finally happening...” Fluttershy whimpered.

“I will send you all back a few at a time to avoid raising suspicion. It's too much to hope that nopony would notice fourteen of you spring out of the ground all at once.” Luna said, satisfied that the quarrelling had stopped. “There is a bright scarlet train at the Canterlot station right now. It is bound for Baltimare. The ticket keeper already knows to allow you boarding. Once in the city, proceed to the port. You'll be taking a large cruising vessel. It will be the largest ship in the harbour, if memory serves me correctly. Like the train, the crew will allow you passage. Disguise a few hours outside of the Eastern continent's coast and maintain it all all costs. Understood, everypony?”

“We take the scarlet train to Baltimare and board the big cruise ship!” Twilight summarized. “Disguise just outside of Saddle Arabia. I think that's everything?”

“Sounds like it...” Fluttershy mumbled softly. “So much travelling... it makes me a little nervous!”

“Have confidence in yourself, Fluttershy! You are the Element of Kindness and you have great power to go with it.” Luna said.

“I just hope the Voidwalker doesn't catch us as we leave...” Fluttershy shivered.

Princess Luna turned to look in the direction of the three fillies. “Stand by your sisters, girls, and I will send you all back to Canterlot.” she then addressed Applejack and Rarity. “There will be a mare by the name of Ms. Harshwhinny at the station. She will be taking care of the fillies for the duration of the mission. For their safety, they will be staying at the palace and under Princess Celestia's protection.”

“See ya soon, Scootaloo!” Apple Bloom said, giving Scoot a quick embrace and moving to stand by Applejack.

“Can't wait to start Crusading in Canterlot! There's probably a million things to do at the palace!” Sweetie Belle added, hugging her as well.

Once Sweetie Belle had joined them, A light blue aura formed around Luna's still-glowing horn and the black beams of magic erupted once more. Applejack and Rarity vanished, along with their sisters. Princess Luna then turned to look in the direction of the Wonderbolts. With a nod to the Captain, Lightning Streak, Fire Streak, and Rapidfire stood to one side. With another zap of magic, they vanished. Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle, and Fluttershy stepped forward next. Dash blinked once and they were gone.

“See you at the station, Dashie.” Soarin said, walking over and placing his arms around Rainbow's chest as she stood up tall to embrace him herself. “I'll see you there too, Scoots!”

Rainbow Dash's eyes flashed to Spitfire and she was not surprised to see the pegasus still glaring in her direction. Was it their confrontation that had infuriated the Wonderbolt Captain, Dash wondered, or was it jealousy over Soarin?

“C'mon, Soarin.” Spitfire ordered. “Teleport us when you are ready, Your Highness. And make sure you hide your cutie mark with something, Soarin. It's not going to surprise me if your dimwittedness causes you to forget.”

Soarin gave Rainbow Dash and awkward smile and walked back to Spitfire. Dash narrowed her eyes furiously as Luna's spell caused them to vanish. She gave a sigh.

“Still a little scared, Scoots?” Dash asked, kneeling down and wrapping a wing around her. “That voice was scary, huh? But I knew we would get to Luna in the end.”

“Yeah...” Scootaloo nodded, hugging Dash's torso and nuzzling her face into her. “I'm glad we're with Luna right now, though!”

“She's gotta send us back now, though!” Rainbow reminded her.

“Oh, right!” Scootaloo gasped, pulling away from Dash and looking to the alicorn. “Goodbye, Luna!”

Luna had been watching them quietly. At Scootaloo's words, she smiled warmly and inclined her head, mane flowing all around her. “Goodbye, Scootaloo. I am glad we could see one another again. Are you ready, Rainbow Dash?”

“Actually, hooold up a sec... I gotta ask before I forget: How do you two know each other? I already guessed that your Scootaloo's favourite ruler, but I woulda never guessed you two were actually friends!” Dash gave a shaky laugh, the prospect of a seven year old filly being close to the immortal Princess of the Night almost being too much to comprehend. “What did I miss?”

Scootaloo giggled and walked over to stand near Luna. “Luna's been my friend since before you adopted me, Sis!”

Dash watched Luna and Scootaloo exchanged a meaningful look, before both looked straight at her.

“You could say,” Luna began delicately, “that I was fortunate enough to stumble upon Scootaloo in one of her dreams when she needed guidance the most.”

“Luna helped me, uh, do something I was afraid to do!” Scootaloo said cagily, still beaming and looking into Dash's eyes with pure adoration. “She made me tell somepony the truth and I'm glad I did!”

Dash looked her confusion as she stared back into the filly's eyes as Scootaloo returned to her side. It was like Scootaloo was trying to tell her something with that look she was still giving her, Dash thought. She looked over at Luna, who was still beaming as though the sight of the two pegasai was warming her heart. For some reason, the first time Scootaloo had ever told Dash the truth crossed her mind.

”I'm so, so sorry, Rainbow Dash! I just wanted you to hang out with me and see how cool I was so you'd take me under your wing and teach me everything you know and become like my big sister! But... then you started telling those spooky stories and I got scared! I thought I heard the Headless Horse so I ran out here all by myself and... well... I guess you know the rest..."

Scootaloo had told her shortly afterwards that she had seen the Headless Horse in a nightmare, Dash remembered. As she looked back into Scootaloo's smiling face, Dash could recall a dream that she herself had experienced that very night. Though the details had faded from her memory, she could still remember one startling feature: Dash had seen Princess Luna, who had shot magic at her. Rainbow Dash had awoken a moment later and noticed that Scootaloo had left the cave they had all been camping in.

“Wait... wait a sec...” Dash said in a shaky voice, looking from Scootaloo to Luna again. “Scoots, you told me the truth about how you were afraid of disappointing me, and how much you wanted me to be your big sister when I saved your life! That's one of the things made me want to adopt you in the first place!” Scootaloo nodded, giving a sniff as her eyes started to grow a little wet. Dash's stared over at the alicorn. “You appeared in my dream that night, Luna. The dream I was having when Scootaloo had ran off, thinking the Headless Horse was after her!”

“So I did!” Luna said evasively. “If memory serves correctly, that wasn't the only dream I had entered that night. But I must really be sending you both back now or your friends will worry!”

Rainbow Dash felt as though she had crashed headlong into a brick wall as the waves of comprehension crashed over her. Luna had sent her after Scootaloo. She pulled the filly close to her chest and held her so close to her heart that she was sure the filly could feel it thundering against her ribs. 'What if Luna had given Scoot the guidance she needed to face her fears about disappointing me?' Dash shut her eyes, breathing deeply as everything came to a point.

Never once had she ever thought to mention to Scootaloo that she was able to save her because she woke up after seeing Princess Luna in a dream. Rainbow turned to speak to Luna once more. Dash had to tell her, had to explain exactly what the Princess' actions had meant to her.

Luna was the one who had brought them together.

“Wait!” Dash croaked, her throat going dry as Luna prepared to cast her spell. She was nearly sick with happiness, completely lightheaded. “P-Princess Luna, how can I ever tha-”

Before Dash could get the words out, the thick black beam was racing toward her. It split just before contact and she could feel herself being warped away with Scootaloo by her side. Dash could feel the cobbled street below her as bright sunlight assaulted her vision. She was still holding on to Scootaloo as tightly as possible. They were back in front of the platform that Celestia had stood upon, although the crowd had dispersed by now to enjoy the carnival.

“Scootaloo...” Dash whispered hoarsely, looking down at the filly as she fought the urge to break down and cry. “Why didn't you ever tell me about Luna before?”

“I dunno!” Scoot shrugged, looking up with a frown before nuzzling into Dash's chest. “I didn't think it was important, I guess... I mean, we became sisters that night! That was more important!”

“'Didn't think it was important?!'” Dash repeated in amazement, lifting the filly high with both front hooves and flying a few feet into the air. “Scoot, it's all because of Luna that I can look into your eyes and tell you that you're the best darn thing to ever happen to me! Well, actually, that's all because of how AWESOME you are, but Luna gave us a nudge in the right direction!”

“I guess so!” Scootaloo said, smiling brightly again. “I love you, Rainbow Dash!”

“I love you so much, Scoots!” Dash grinned up at her.

“I told Luna that you adopted me when I saw her at the soccer game, back when you did the airshow with Soarin!” Scootaloo explained, wiping her eyes. “She said she already knew because she and Celestia review all adoptions in Equestria and then she said she was so happy for us! I'm sorry I never told you, Sis! Hope I didn't upset you...”

“Of course you didn't upset me, love! I'm just so happy I got to find out before I had to go away, Scoots! I can't wait to meet Luna in Saddle Arabia, I'm gonna tell her exactly how important her little dream jumping has been to us both! But I guess she probably already knows, huh?” Dash sighed happily, taking in a deep breath of air.

“Hey! Were y'all hangin' around here the whole time?” Applejack's voice drifted to them on the wind.

“AJ!” Dash called out, floating back to the ground and allowing Scootaloo to climb on to her back. “Sorry, just had a quick word with Luna before she did her hocus pocus!”

“Well, hurry on up! Everypony's left for the station already, I hung back to wait fer ya!”

Dash galloped over to meet her, still beaming brightly with Scootaloo sitting comfortably on her back.

“What're y'all so happy about?” AJ grinned at her, starting to walk in the direction of the station.

Dash started to tell her exactly what had just transpired after everyone but herself and Scootaloo had left the dark side of the moon. Applejack's jaw hung low as Rainbow explained the full details of that night on the camping trip, with a little help from Scootaloo.

Applejack wiped a tear from her eye once they had finished speaking. “Golly! That's such a sweet story. It just goes to show exactly how much the two Princesses really take care of us all, don't it?” Applejack gave a chuckle. “And here I thought ya just adopted Scootaloo out of the goodness of your heart!”

“I did, ya jerk!” Dash laughed, giving Applejack a punch in the arm. “Luna just set up the pins. Me and Scoots knocked 'em down, didn't we, kiddo?”

“What pins?” Scoot asked interestedly.

“Nevermind, Scoots!” Dash giggled, feeling the happiest she had been in so long.

It made her feel so confident to know that the dire warnings that voice had given them to scare them off from going to Saddle Arabia could do nothing to muddle her happy feelings. She was finally beginning to accept that she did not have much to fear from this mission. Difficult or dangerous it was sure to be, Dash knew that luck was on her side and would aid her and her friends. Her heart felt so swollen at that point that she felt as though she could use the strength of her love as a shield itself. Her confidence in her friends was only going to make her Element of Loyalty all the more powerful. And Soarin would be by her side. And when they all came home, triumphant in their victory, Dash knew she was going to be closer to Scootaloo than ever before.

At that moment, Dash felt as though The Shadow was nothing to her; the Voidwalker was a meaningless obstacle to crush beneath her hoof. 'We'll figure out what's going on with Wave Chill, we'll find out what's been corrupting the Saddrabian dignitaries in the first place, and we'll blast The Shadow with the Elements of Harmony! When all is said and done, I'm gonna fall in love with Soarin and the three of us are gonna be a family. I'll get married and Scoot gets to grow up with a daddy, too! Everything's comin' up Dash!'

Completely lost in her own thoughts again, Rainbow Dash didn't realize when they had reached the station. She was only dimly aware of Applejack telling Scootaloo about some of the shops and places she had visited in Canterlot before as they had walked. Coming out of her revery, Rainbow spotted the rest of her friends talking to a very sour looking earth mare with a brilliant orange coat with a short golden mane, just outside the train platform.

“Oh!” Twilight Sparkle said, turning to watch them approach. “Rainbow Dash, this is Ms. Harshwhinny!”

“Uh... hi!” Dash said awkwardly, extending a hoof and receiving the weakest hoofshake she ever had in her life. Dash blinked in amazement, shaking her head when Harshwhinny turned away to speak with Rarity. Her resemblance to Ms. Cassandra was astounding. They even had similar names.

“She's normally the Equestria Games Inspector, but Celestia has asked her to be the fillies' caretaker during her downtime!” Twilight explained conspiratorially. “The last time I spoke with Princess Cadance, she mentioned possibly using the six of us as the welcoming committee when Harshwhinny goes to inspect the Crystal Empire next year. So it's good we get to meet her now!”

“As long as we don't do something stupid like forget what she looks by next year, the Crystal Empire will probably get to host! That's awesome!” Dash whispered back. “Go say 'Hi', Scoots!”

She bent low to allow the filly to jump off her back with a faint buzz of her tiny wings. The filly ran over to where her two friends were standing next to Rarity. Ms. Harshwhinny looked down at her and then back to Rainbow Dash.

“This is the third and final child, is it?” Harshwhinny's voice was lofty and a little hoarse.

“Yep. That's Scootaloo!” Rainbow Dash confirmed, raising an eyebrow.

“Very well. I shall be off, then.” Harshwhinny spoke crisply. “Follow me once you have said your goodbyes, girls.”

Dash knelt low to Scootaloo again and gave her another hug. “Dashie's gonna miss you, kiddo. You're not still scared, are you?”

“A little, Sis... I'm gonna miss you too!” Scootaloo said sadly, Dash's heart skipping a beat as the filly's ears started to twitch.

“Everything's gonna be just fine, remember that! We're gonna have so much fun when I get home!” Rainbow Dash explained swiftly. “And remember, I'm gonna hang out with Luna! That's neato, huh?”

“Yeah...” Scootaloo sighed. “Just be careful...”

“I will, Scoots. I promise.” Dash kissed her on the forehead, ruffling Scootaloo's mane one last time. “I love ya, Scoots. I really do. Be a good girl for me, won't you?” Dash lowered her voice. “Ms. Harshwhinny looks reeeally impatient! Just make sure if anything happens, ya can blame it on Apple Bloom!”

Scootaloo giggled softly. “That's not nice, Sis!”

“I know, I knooow!” Dash laughed. “Have fun, Scoots! I'll be home soon! Say 'Hi' to Princess Celestia for me!”

Scootaloo closed her eyes as though trying to steady herself. Dash could feel her stomach dropping, but relaxed when Scootaloo opened her eyes and nodded. With another kiss, Dash stood up again.

As Applejack and Rarity finished their own goodbyes to their sisters, Rainbow Dash spotted Soarin walking over to her. He ruffled Scootaloo's mane for a moment and beamed at Rainbow. Dash noticed he wasn't wearing his flight suit. Scootaloo walked over to her friends and Dash spoke up to the Wonderbolt.

“Where'd ya stash the suit?” Dash asked him, looking around and spotting Rapidfire and Lightning Streak talking to the ticket usher with Fire Streak standing behind them.

“Ms. Harshwhinny's got them stashed in that big bag she's got. Apparently she's Ms. Cassandra's sister, so she's gonna send them over to Cloudsdale. Ms. Cassandra will probably burn them because they're more than a week old, but that just means the team'll have brand new suits for when we get home!”

“Uh huh... So, where's the jackass?” Dash asked conversationally, looking around for Spitfire.

“She's gone to buy me a pair of shorts. I'll look like a douche-nozzle, but we've gotta hide that cutie mark!”

“Maybe you'll look cute in a tight pair of shorts!” Rainbow grinned at him.

“Ha, yeah right! And... could you please give Spitfire a cha-” Soarin tried to say, but Dash cut across him.

No. She's really arrogant and she treats you like crap!” Why the hell should I give her a chance? And don't give me the 'she's had it rough' nonsense you threw at me at the Wonderbolt Academy yesterday, either!”

“It's true, Dashie. Please... she's still my closest friend. Try and work things out with her, won't you?”

Rainbow Dash groaned, sighing heavily. “Fine. But if she keeps giving me this attitude, I'm going to knock her out. She won't be the first mare I've left lying on the floor, I can tell ya that!” Rainbow said ruefully, although her anger began to lessen when the idea occurred to her that Soarin must think that Dash herself is more than a close friend if someone like Spitfire was the closest.

She walked over and gave Scootaloo a final hug and kiss goodbye as the fillies prepared to depart with Ms. Harshwhinny, who was looking very annoyed at all of the delays. As the Crusaders walked away, Scootaloo kept throwing sad glances back at Rainbow Dash, who was starting to feel miserable again. Praying that she'd see her daughter again one day, Dash looked up to watch Spitfire flying toward the group, clutching a bag.

“I got you a pair of denim shorts. You'll look horrible, but you should be comfortable.” Spitfire explained, completely ignoring Rainbow Dash.

“Thanks, Spit...” Soarin said graciously.

Spitfire closed her eyes at the name, as if trying to contain herself. “Right... oy!” Spitfire's sharp voice echoed over to the other Wonderbolts, still with the ticket usher. “Everything check out?”

“Yes, Captain!” Lightning Streak explained. “All aboard when ready!”

“Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!” Pinkie squeed as she walked over with Fluttershy. “Can't waaait! We're gonna go to Baltimare and we get to ride a boat that can fly!” she clapped her hooves together.

“Oh, goodie...” Fluttershy sighed.

“Let's go, then!” Twilight said, walking down the platform to a large scarlet locomotive on a far track.

With a deep breath, Rainbow Dash took one last look in the direction that Ms. Harshwhinny had taken the Crusaders, and began to follow Twilight down the platform, Soarin and Spitfire walking silently beside her. She narrowed her eyes in determination and held her head high.

PreviousChapters Next