• Published 31st Mar 2013
  • 9,859 Views, 1,155 Comments

What's Really the Most Important? - KrishnaKarnak



Rainbow Dash's life with Scootaloo has begun. But with a nasty disorder growing in the young Scoot, will Rainbow be able to balance affections between her and Rainbow's crush, Soarin? A mission to Saddle Arabia is about to make everything m

  • ...
20
 1,155
 9,859

PreviousChapters Next
28 Spitfire's Story

Twilight Sparkle was heading for the furthest train car from them, the one at the head of the line, just behind the engine. Rainbow Dash's eyes moved around their group, doing a quick headcount. All of her friends and the five Wonderbolts were present. With that, her eyes snapped forward again.

Was it honestly possible that something would go wrong? Rainbow's head was already beginning to shuffle through countless frightening and terrible scenarios and it felt like all of her confidence of the last few minutes was already starting to dissipate like sugar in water.

She wished she had said a better goodbye to Scootaloo. Once they boarded this train for Baltimare, there was no going back. Soon they would arrive at the port city and board the vessel bound for Saddle Arabia, across the vast ocean. Were her friends as worried as she was? She knew Applejack and Rarity had confidence, but what about Fluttershy? Pinkie Pie's strength was due to the fact that she was amongst her best friends. Could Dash find the same courage, she wondered?

She wanted comfort more than anything right now. To sit and cuddle with her filly or to have a moment alone with Soarin and find the warmth within his powerful chest and arms. She wanted to be a little girl again and find herself cooed and cuddled by her supportive father. She wanted her mother's loving gaze.

Rainbow Dash could remember a day when she had a terrible fight with her old friend Gilda Grifftan at her old flight school in Cloudsdale. Dash could not have been more than nine or ten years old. The pair of them had gotten into a vicious confrontation that had resulted in a handful of students getting into a legitimately scary brawl as ponies jumped in on either side. The entire thing had been Rainbow's fault, she knew. And so did her father. Nevertheless, he had still been understanding of the predicament she had placed herself in, still fully aware of how frightened Dash had been while she stood in the thick of a swirling mass of hooves, staring down the claws of a griffon.

That was something she would grow to respect about her father: whatever discipline Dash had earned, there was always comfort to be found in her father's arms when she needed it. Rainbow Dash had been, in her mind, an awful child for a single parent to have to deal with after the death of their spouse, but he had never hurt her in anger and was always there with a comforting wing whenever she needed his advice. Whatever he had ever done to punish her, Dash never resented it because she understood his love for her and the guidance behind every action. It was precisely the parenting Dash wanted to emulate for the sake of Scootaloo.

All of these memories and thoughts had swirled around her head because it was the type of comfort that she yearned to enjoy at that very moment. She wanted to be able to find solace in his arms when she was distressed or afraid.

“Wake up, you moron!” a voice snapped behind her. Dash gave a start of surprise.

“Wha-what?” she stammered, blinking and looking around. There were ten sets of eyes upon her.

“You've been standing there like you're too stupid to walk and breathe at the same time. You're beginning to convince me you are,” Spitfire snarled.

“Dash, is everything alright?” Twilight asked with concern in her voice, walking back to her.

“I... oh! Oh, dammit!” Rainbow cried out, suddenly remembering. She whipped open the saddle bag she was still wearing and stuck her face inside of it, rummaging around for a moment before extracting a rolled up scroll of parchment. “Give me firty seconds! Be righ' back!” Dash's voice was a little muffled with her mouth clamped tightly around the paper.

Had Dash not been so preoccupied, she would have noticed the look of venom the Wonderbolt Captain was shooting her. She took off at a gallop and jumped into the air, wings spreading wide to catch herself on a gust of wind flowing on to the mountain from the empty skies beyond the station. The updraft was strong against her plumage, allowing her to focus on positioning her wings for speed while the lift kept her gliding. As Dash soared to the very edge of the station, she caught sight of the golden hair of the games inspector.

“Miff Halfwitty!” Rainbow called out, speeding towards the ground and landed on her hooves in an ill-assorted manner in her haste. Folding her wings, she pulled the rolled up letter from her mouth.

“Sis?” Scootaloo said with surprise and worry, stopping in her tracks so suddenly that Apple Bloom bumped into her.

“Oh...” Harshwhinny sighed in a bored voice, turning around as Dash trotted over. “It's Rainbow Dash, right? What is it? Don't you have a train to catch?”

“Yes, I do, but this is important, too! Can you please give this to Princess Celestia? It has to be sent to a stallion named Radiant Dash, who's deployed in Trottingham right now. It's urgent, please. The Princess can send post to a dragon there in an instant,” Dash said in a rush.

With a sigh, the mare snatched the letter. “Very well. Radiant Dash, Trottingham. Now, I wish to get back to the palace already! Good day!

“Love ya, Scoots! Be back soon!” Rainbow Dash said with a quick pat on the filly's head as she turned to gallop away, wings unfolding and beating hard against the air.

Wings flapping furiously, Dash raced back in the direction of the train. She had a new cold feeling in her stomach now. That was an even worse farewell to Scootaloo than before, but Dash knew it couldn't be helped. As she approached the station at speed, she saw a coffee-coloured conductor peering out of the train with an irritable look on his face while Twilight tried to explain something to him. As she drew nearer, she could hear part of their conversation.

“Look, miss, I'm on a very tight schedule. You lot aren't the only passengers going to Baltimare. Princess Luna's instructors or not, I'm going to have to get this train moving!” the conductor was saying exasperatedly, running a hoof through his light blue mane.

“We're sorry to delay you! Look, she's here now,” Twilight explained as Dash landed hard next to her, almost stumbling.

“Sorry, sorry!” Rainbow said hastily, panting.

“Well, hurry along, then!” the conductor said, jerking his head in the direction of the entrance of the first train car. “All aboard!” he called loudly as attendants moved forward to close the train doors.

Dash followed Twilight as the unicorn stepped onto the train. Judging by the fact that she could see none of her other friends or the Wonderbolts outside of the train, everyone must have already boarded. The pair proceeded down a tight corridor and into the next train car.

“I think the ticket usher said we're in the third train car. It has a single large compartment with twelve seats where we're all going to be congregated.” Twilight explained, looking around to admire the beautifully decorated mahogany woodwork that lined the interior.

Dash was not as keen on inspecting the locomotive herself. She focused on catching her breath as they proceeded into the third train car. There was a large green door leading into the main compartment, with a small hallway on the left side to allow guests to proceed further down the train. The door was already open and Dash could see Pinkie Pie's puffy raspberry hair as she peered around Twilight.

“So! This is, uh, it!” Rainbow wheezed, throwing herself into a seat next to Soarin.

Twilight sat down next to Rarity in the front row. Looking around, Dash could see Fluttershy sitting with Applejack along the opposite side of the compartment. Fluttershy gave her a warm smile which Dash returned. She also noticed Fire Streak, who was sitting with his brother behind them, throwing Fluttershy furtive looks. Pinkie Pie and Rapidfire occupied the front row of that side. That left Spitfire and Fleetfoot sitting behind her, as Dash noticed upon entering.

“Yes. Thanks so much for gracing us with your presence, Rainbow Dash!” Spitfire said in a clipped tone. “Maybe if we're lucky, there will still be a crisis in Saddle Arabia by the time we actually get there.”

“That's not somethin' I'd consider lucky, myself!” Applejack shrugged.

Spitfire threw her one look of deepest loathing and turned to stared moodily out of the window. With a rumble, the train began to move out of the station, departing Canterlot at last.

“What did you need to vamoose for, precisely?” Rarity asked after several minutes, leaning over the seat in front of Rainbow Dash to speak to her. “It seemed quite abrupt!”

“I had to make sure a letter I wrote to Dad got to him, that's all. Being snatched up mid-teleport by a bodiless voice that probably belongs to our enemy caused the letter to slip my mind, for some reason,” Dash explained, relaxing as she leaned against Soarin beside her. She smiled as she felt his wings shiver.

“Your dad, huh? Would have taken you for a 'Mommy's Filly', personally,” Spitfire said nastily from behind them.

“Dashie!” Soarin said quickly as Rainbow Dash made to get out of her seat, a furious inferno raging inside her chest. He quickly placed an arm in front of her. “She didn't mean anything by it! Captain, please...

“Didn't mean anything by it?” Dash said in a frighteningly calm voice. “That's a total crock! But hey, she didn't know any better, right? But what she does know is that she's been doing her best to piss me off lately. And look at that!” Dash pushed Soarin's arm away and stood up on her back hooves, her own arms outstretched to gesture around the entire compartment. “I don't see Princess Luna here, so there's nopony to stop me from beating her face in.

“Captain!” Fleetfoot gasped as Spitfire got to her own feet, stamping her hooves.

“You want to fight me, Rainbow Dash? Oh, that would be just wonderful. I owe you a proper ass kicking!”

“And there you have it, ladies and gents!” Dash smirked, flexing her wings convulsively and nearly thwacking Fluttershy in the head. “Owe me how, Spitfire? The only claim you've got against me would be if you were jealous about Soarin. And you denounced all ties during that race when we had that talk. The one where you almost convinced me you were a decent pony who was simply in pain! But no, you're just a bitter bi—”

“Rainbow, stop!” Soarin said, clapping a hoof to her mouth. “Please, just give it a rest! Spit, please!” For Spitfire herself was being restrained by Fleetfoot, with Lightning Streak hurrying over to help. “Captain!”

“You...” Spitfire began in a dangerous voice, looking daggers into Dash's eyes, “have no idea what you're talking about, you foal. You might think you've got the read of me, Rainbow Dash, but you couldn't be more ignorant. Relax, Fleet. Sit back down.”

Fleetfoot, who had been trying to block Spitfire from leaving her row, moved back into her seat almost reluctantly. The white-maned pegasus shrugged at Lightning Streak, who returned to his seat next to his brother. Spitfire herself slowly lowered herself back onto the seat.

Rainbow Dash very slowly dropped back into her own spot, putting her face into her hooves and breathing deeply. She always got very touchy whenever her mother was used as an insult against her. There had been a trio of bullies at her old flight school who were notorious for using mother's death as a weapon against her. It wasn't to anyone's benefit that she was currently harbouring real resentment toward the Wonderbolt Captain.

“Listen ta me, da both'a ya,” Rapidfire said, walking around Pinkie Pie and strolling down the middle of the seats, stopping next to Dash. “Actually, all of ya can listen, 'cause dis is impa'tint,”

Rainbow Dash kept her head down until she felt Soarin's hoof on her shoulder. Almost resentfully, she stared up at the aged stallion standing beside her. Rapidfire was looking directly at Spitfire.

“Cap'n Spitfiah knows. Fleetfit, you knows. Streaks, you two knows...” Rapidfire continued.

“Know... what?” Fluttershy asked, looking intimated as she glanced up at the ebony-coated Wonderbolt.

“Dey knows what Da Shadow can do. Captain, forgive dis, but I'm very disappointed in ya righ' now. I know damn well it ain't my place as far as da 'Bolts are concerned. But dis is me speakin'. You knows what dis enemy can do. Please, don't fight wid our only allies 'ere.”

“What... exactly is this Voidwalker capable of, Rapidfire?” Twilight Sparkle asked, approaching him from behind. “You have all been very vague with details of how this enemy works. All we know, from Luna's information, is that it's the darkness that the usurpers are claiming the Wonderbolts are responsible for.”

“Ms. Sparkle,” Rapidfire said respectfully, turning to face her and bowing his head, “Da Shadow covers da ground like night. It moves like a mist, righ'? But it can't be. We have seen dis ting phase through buildin's... and crumble dem to da ground. We have seen horses it consumed fall to da ground dead. It's quite capable o' killin' us. And dat's just Da Shadow, let alone da guards who were intent on spillin' our blood. If da Cap'n sounds like she fears fa her life, it's 'cause da threat is very real. And... Da Shadow went directly fa her. If it wants to eliminate da 'Bolts, it must figure the Cap'n is da supportin' pilla.”

Rainbow Dash was not aware of how fast her heart had been beating due to the left over adrenaline from her confrontation with Spitfire. She only realized she was scared when she laid a hoof on her knee and felt it slip off due to the cold sweat. She could see horror in Twilight's eyes. Rarity had a hoof to her mouth, looking shocked. As Dash studied the rest of her friends, she saw similar looks of fear. Pinkie's mane was razor straight.

“Dere's some... physical atta'butes to Da Shadow. It can move tings. It can kill tings. And if every bloody one of us don't work tagetter, it'll probably kill us too.”

“Waaait one darn second! Physical attributes? Psh!” Pinkie laughed, her hair suddenly poofing up again. “That means it's something we can hit with the Elements of Harmony! But for them to work, we need everypony friends with everypony else! That means you...” Pinkie slipped under her seat and crawled out beside Rapidfire, grinning up at Rainbow Dash, “need to be friends with Spitfire!”

“Pinkie Pie has a point, dear!” Rarity agreed, leaning over the seat in front of Dash again. “You and Spitfire need to give up this ridiculous vendetta. Besides, if you two mares haven't realized, you've been putting Soarin through hell and back. That's not frivolous drama he needs, considering we're going to confront his own brother. He obviously cares deeply for both of you. He probably doesn't want one of you to kill the other in cold blood, hmm?”

Soarin gave a light chuckle. “Rarity... has a point.”

“Whatever,” Spitfire said in a bored voice, “I couldn't care less who or what you care about right now, Soarin. Or any of you, for that matter. However, you do bring up a fair point, Rapidfire. We'll need to be on the same page to win this and I'll make that effort. Don't question my actions again, though.”

Rainbow started to chew her tongue to resist the urge to start shouting again. This Soarin hate was really starting to grind her nerves. She focused on Rapidfire to see how he would take her last words. There was something like a knowing smile on his face.

“Whatever ya ask'a me, Cap'n.” He bowed to her and moved back to his seat, Pinkie following him with a grin.

“I'll be a friendly little parasprite, fine,” Rainbow Dash said, before turning to look Soarin in the face and continuing in a low whisper, “Sorry, Soar. I'll try not to explode at her. I never really realized it probably hurts you to see your ex girlfriend and me trying to kill each other. I know I'm not your girlfriend, but you proved to me you care for me that night...”

“I do, Dashie. More and more every day. It means a lot to know you'll be beside me through this whole mess. I appreciate you making the effort to stop fighting with Spitfire,” Soarin whispered back, reaching over and taking her left hoof in both of his own.

“I'll be good filly. Or at least try too, eh?” Rainbow grinned, giving him a swift peck on the cheek. “Anyways, here's a question: Rapid's the only one she seems to listen to, so... what gives?”

“It's a long story.” Soarin shrugged. “It's not my place to tell it.”

Dash frowned at him. “This honourable secrecy schtick is wearing thin, dude...”

Soarin chuckled. “Not my problem, Dashie!”

Dash rolled her eyes and fell silent. She turned to look out of the window on Soarin's left and was surprised to see rolling hills flashing by. How long had they already been travelling, she wondered? Canterlot must be miles behind them, as they were already off of the mountain.

The rest of the train ride passed by without much incident, unless you count Fire Streak and Lightning Streak getting into an argument over some spilled apple cider. Spitfire had yelled herself hoarse at what she called their childish behaviour. When Fire Streak jokingly implied that she wasn't setting a good example with her earlier behaviour, she had threatened to punched him so hard in the face that he'd never smell again.

Finally, with a creaking of pistons, the train came to a stop outside the Baltimare station. Rainbow Dash stood up with her friends and the Wonderbolts, waiting for the crowd of ponies passing their compartment to leave. When the corridor outside fell silent, Rapidfire lead the group out, Pinkie bouncing behind him. Dash and Soarin stood back to allow the opposite side to file out first. Applejack shot her a wink as she followed a sick-looking Fluttershy, with Lightning Streak and Fire Streak bringing up the rear, in quiet argument about taking things too far.

As Rainbow finally stepped out into the early evening sunlight, she felt an incredible feeling of awe flood through her. The station seemed to be situated at the highest point of the port city, for the rest of Baltimare sloped down toward the brilliantly blue ocean. Rows upon rows of seashell-white, square houses and businesses stretched out in every direction. Dominating the horizon was a tall clocktower, obscuring the view of the harbour in the distance.

“I have... to go shopping...” Rarity said in a quaking voice, a far-away look in her eyes.

“Fat chance, missy!” Applejack snorted, approaching Rarity from behind and thrusting her head down. With a grunt, she knocked Rarity over her head and on to her back. “We gotta find our boat!”

“Oh, my...” Fluttershy shuddered. “Look at it...”

Rainbow Dash followed her gaze to the smallest bit of the harbour they could see to the right of the clocktower. She felt her jaw drop. It was quite visible, and quite big, from their lofty position at the station. A long, storm-coloured vessel rising up in several floors. They could make out a large chamber at the very top, no doubt housing the zeppelin's deflated balloon.

“That's gotta be three or four stories tall!” Soarin exclaimed in wonder. “Imagine it, Dashie: That beast can fly!

“Its stature is an impressive sight for one to behold, yes.” Fleetfoot spoke from behind them, smiling in wonder. “We must be gratified we're having a opportunity to board that liner.”

“Once you've all put your eyes back in, can we get moving?” Spitfire sighed, taking zero interest in the sights. “That cruise ship might look more impressive if we actually move closer to the damn thing.”

“When we get back, we MUST CLEAN OUT THE STORES!” Rarity shouted with a gleeful giggle once they had started their descent through the marvellous city. “Look at the gorgeous architecture on that tower! Look at how the buildings stretch out like little ivory buckets, as far as a gleaming eye can see! With the sapphire waters stretching out to embrace the sky over the horizon, the pair greeting the edge of the land on that northern shore like an old friend! Look at it! This is Heaaaven!

“I can smell seagull poop. I don't like this place!” Applejack chuckled.

“The world would be bedlam with hounds like YOU in charge, AJ!” Rarity snarled, slipping off her back to walk on her own, throwing her hair in Applejack's grinning face.

“The world's already bedtime, Rare...” Rainbow Dash sighed. “Y'know, considering what we're going off to do now...”

The uneasy feeling was back in the pit of her stomach. As they continued to march in the direction of the harbour, Dash barely noticed the ponies going about their day to day business. Her thoughts were, yet again, filled with dread and worry. Talking or thinking about how brave she had felt back in Canterlot was one thing, but once they boarded that ship, they would only be disembarking when they reached the shores of Saddle Arabia. How could she expect her confidence to continue to spike if she caught sight of that horrible shadow?

“Covering the ground like night...” Dash mumbled, giving a shiver. “Sounds just like King Sombra... that was a nightmare to face.”

“What was that, Dashie?” Soarin asked from beside her.

“Oh!” Dash swallowed hard and ran a hoof down her mane. “It's nothing, Soarin. Just thinking aloud...”

“Worried, Rainbow Dash?” Spitfire asked, approaching from behind.

Dash closed her eyes briefly, biting her lip. “As a matter of fact...” she hissed through her teeth, “I am.”

“Calm the hell down, I'm not criticizing you,” Spitfire snapped as the harbour came into view. “Rapidfire's already made it crystal clear that I fear this thing myself.”

“So... the Voidwalker can actually bring down buildings, can it?” Dash asked apprehensively, opening her eyes and breathing deeply.

“If that's what The Shadow is actually called... yes, it can. A dark cloud that can sweep tonnes of stone brick out of its way, and I'm sitting comfortably at the top of its hit-list.” Spitfire shrugged as though this fact was no real concern to her.

Rainbow Dash said nothing. She was too preoccupied trying to quell the feeling of nausea that was descending over her like a curse. As they passed by the various ships lining the harbour, Dash looked up at the towering liner that was drawing closer and closer.

“Man, I feel like crap...” she sighed. “I'm getting really apprehensive, Soarin...”

She felt Soarin's hoof rubbing her shoulder. Despite her increasing fears, she was very thankful to have him with her. If she couldn't have her father or Scootaloo with her, Dash was at least happy that the stallion who had spent the last five years on her mind was there for her.

“Don't be such a damn baby. Hell, I'm sure we're all a little scared,” Spitfire said harshly.

“Honestly, I wish you mares would stop swearing!” Rarity sighed. “Somepony is exhausted trying to be the only stunning example of a descent dame who holds herself to real standar—”

Rarity stopped speaking abruptly as they reached the massive ship at last. Everyone's eyes traced up the side of the vessel to the top of the walkway connecting it to the port. Two ponies stood there, both in naval uniforms. The first had an Admiral's crest pinned to his shoulder and was wearing a long, dark blue hat with curved sides. He had hazel eyes, a dark brown mane, and an orange coat. His cutie mark was that of a sailboat. The Admiral was speaking to a unicorn with arctic blue eyes, fine amber hair and mane, and a very pale grey coat that was nearly white, just like Rarity's. He had a compass rose as a cutie mark.

“That son of a bitch...” Rarity swore softly. Dash could see anger in her eyes.

“Oh, dear...” Twilight spoke in a voice that suggested she was fighting back a giggle. “It's Celestia's nephew, Prince Blueblood. He was at the Grand Galloping Gala. He must be the ship's navigator,” she explained for the benefit of the Wonderbolts.

Despite her own fears, Rainbow Dash started to laugh heartily. She grinned sideways at Applejack who started to chuckle immoderately herself. Rarity was starting to grow red, though whether from embarrassment or anger, Dash couldn't tell.

“G-go on, Rarity!” Dash snickered. “Go say 'Hi' to your old crush!”

“What was his name, sugar?” Applejack guffawed. “Vladimir, wasn't it? Go give him a big ol' kiss!”

Rarity let out a furious bellow and did not respond to her sniggering friends. Prince Vladimir Blueblood was did not turn out to be the 'Prince Charming' Rarity had expected when she had gone to the Gala. Dash could remember her raging about how much of a selfish pig he had been for weeks after.

“Girls, don't tease her...” Fluttershy sighed at them both.

“I must say, this journey looks like it's gonna be interestin'!” Applejack wheezed. “I enjoyed how offended he got when he ate my home-baked apple fritters.”

“He insulted your cooking, Applejack?” Soarin laughed. “Now that is a gentlecolt I could not see eye to eye with. That apple pie was the best one I've ever had!”

“Nopony needs to be reminded of how you slobbered over that pie like a dog, Soarin.” Spitfire said, rolled her eyes. “I had never been so embarrassed before. Anyways, let's get on this stupid thing already.”

“Oh, ho!” the Admiral said in a booming voice as the group ascended the wooden walkway to the ship. “Good day to you all. You must be the group I have been told about. Could you confirm your names?”

“Of course,” Twilight Sparkle said courteously, glancing about to ensure there were no ponies listening in. “My name is Twilight Sparkle. Beside me is Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Rapidfire of the Wonderbolts.” Twilight turned to point down the plank. “Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and the rest of the Wonderbolts. That is to say... Soarin, Fleetfoot, Lightning Streak, Fire Streak, and Captain Spitfire.”

“They all match our information, I believe. Is that right, Blueblood?” the Admiral asked his navigator.

“Yes...” Blueblood spoke, holding a hoof to his chin and grinning down in Rarity's direction. “Quite a... splendid group...”

“Ms. Sparkle, my name is Admiral Hiexhes, though you may call me 'High Seas. I am the Captain of this vessel, the Herodotus. This is my navigator, Prince Blueblood of Canterlot.”

“I do believe I have met a number of this ensemble,” Blueblood explained, giving a bow to Twilight.

“Capital!” High Seas smiled warmly. “You shall all find your accommodations on the second floor. You will find a private parlour complete with various... beverages... in suite #221. Princess Luna spared no expense. You shall be provided with actual room keys once we cast off.”

“Excuse me,” Spitfire said, pushing herself to the front of the group. “I am the Wonderbolt Captain. When do we depart, Admiral?”

“Within an hour's time, if luck favours the Herodotus! As you may know, this is a luxury cruise zeppeliner, as I like to call them! We are allowing our passengers time to shop in the great port of Baltimare while we await the luggage and new passengers from the train from Canterlot. You will not be the only group joining us,” the Admiral explained. “In the meantime, please make yourselves comfortable in the common area here on the main deck.”

With a nod, High Seas made his way along the length of the ship with Prince Blueblood. Rainbow Dash turned to look at Rarity, who still seemed to be looking furious.

“Well, at least he sounds nicer today!” Dash shrugged.

“Balderdash!” Rarity huffed, marching the rest of the way up the walkway and proceeding towards a glass set of double doors which no doubt lead to the common area. “Perhaps mingling with exotic, high class vacationers will whet my appetite for some sophistication on this oversized tugboat!”

“Well...” Spitfire said briskly, once the group had all moved away from the walkway where a handful of passengers were ascending on to the ship, some crew members, no doubt to check identities, walking to meet them. “I'm going to get our room keys now. There's got to be a service desk on this boat. I have zero interest in 'mingling' in the commons. Team, c'mon.”

“I'll come and see you later, Dashie!” Soarin said in a low voice, giving her a short kiss.

The rest of the Wonderbolts were already following the Captain. “Soarin, that means you, too,” Spitfire snapped, turning to look back at him.

“Yes, Captain,” Soarin said obediently, smiling at Rainbow and quickly joining his team.

Dash gave a heavy sigh, walking in the direction of the doors that Rarity had gone through. “Let's go enjoy ourselves, girls. I guess... Or at least find another chance to tease Rarity.” As she walked, she glanced directly overhead to see the additional floors stretching to the heavens directly above the doors.

“Yeah, I reckon I'd like to see these 'high class' vacation-ponies myself!” Applejack agreed, falling into step behind Rainbow Dash.

“I'm gonna go exploring!” Pinkie cheered. “Find a place to set up shop for a party tonight!”

“Why not in here?” Dash suggested, jabbing her hoof at the double doors.

“Naw, I don't have luck with the high class types! I'll find the ponies who actually want to have fun! Toodles!” Pinkie bounced off.

“That was awfully straight forward for Pinkie Pie,” Applejack commented. “If we ain't careful, she'll start to grow serious.”

“Eh, Pinkies' got a point... I mean, most of her attempts to entertain the stuck up snobs Rarity likes to be seen with end in disaster! Though for all we know, there are no ponies like that on the ship. You two comin', Twilight? Fluttershy?” Rainbow asked them.

“I'd actually like to see the rest of the ship myself!” Twilight said, turning on the spot and taking in every inch of the deck she could spot. “C'mon, Fluttershy!”

“I suppose...” Fluttershy said, looking with apprehension at the size of the upper decks.

“Eh, whatever! Catch you girls later, then.” Dash pushed open the doors.

The common area was an extravagantly decorated room with a large crystal chandelier hanging directly in front of Rainbow Dash and Applejack. The room proper was sunken down in the centre, descending in levels to where guests were congregated. A red carpeted staircase lead from the door they had just entered down to the floor. Dash thought it looked like a mini stadium.

“Fancy pants!” Applejack muttered, sweeping off her hat and rubbing her blonde hair, sweeping back through her mane. “Still seems a little silly to travel to Saddle Arabia on a cruise ship, but I guess goin' incognito has its perks!”

“Yeah, they're not going to expect us to be part of a group of tourists just stopping by the city for some shopping,” Dash agreed, proceeding down the stairs and looking left and right. There were paths leading off the stairs to sets of tables on either side of it. The rest of the floor around the staircase were slanted. “You see Rare anywhere?”

“Yep. Looks like she's startin' the party early.” Applejack pointed toward the bar at the far end of the room. Dash felt her spirits soar.

“So much for mingling with sophisticated ponies! Should have figured this place would have a bar, though,” Dash said casually, opening up her saddle bag and rummaging within for her coin purse. Extracting it with her teeth, she dropped it into a hoof. “I got lots of bits left over from that airshow. Want a drink, AJ? I could use a fine spirits to keep up my spirits, methinks!”

“Naw, I'll pass. I'm gonna go say high to that there stallion over by that waiter!” Applejack said, gesturing toward a massively built mustang sitting alone at a table. “Hot dog, he could buck a barn if he wanted to!”

“Damn,” Rainbow Dash said appreciatively, sizing him up herself. “Go get 'em, girl!”

Dash continued on to the bar and took a stool to Rarity's right. Rarity looked over as Dash sat down and rolled her eyes. Dash cocked an eyebrow at her and grinned.

“Whaaat?” Dash asked, holding her head high to try to catch the bartender's attention.

“I know why you're hear, darling! Come to scorn my sorrowful drinking, perchance?” Rarity said grumpily as the bartender set a tall glass of turquoise liquid in front of her.

“I'm not gonna keep teasin' ya if it's upsetting you, Rare!” Dash patted her on the shoulder. “But while Applejack tries to wrangle herself some evening entertainment, I'ma gonna keep you company and, y'know, enjoy the atmosphere!”

“Is that so?” Rarity said unconvinced, taking an impressive gulp of her drink and shivering.

“Fine,” Dash said with a shrug, rapping her hoof on the counter to get the bartender's attention, “I'm having a bad day so I'm gonna drink myself stupid for a few hours and try to sneak off somewhere with Soarin. Like I'm fourteen again.”

“What in heavens did you do when you were fourteen?” Rarity gave a giggle.

“Something that caused Dad to ground me for three months!” Dash said, smirking a little.

“Did that work?” Rarity asked with interest, draining the rest of her glass and tapping her hoof for another.

“Ha, as if!” Rainbow Dash laughed as the bartender came over with a refill for Rarity.

“What'll it be, miss?” he asked Rainbow Dash.

Dash studied him closely. He was a handsome unicorn with lofty blonde hair and mane and a fine white coat. “Yeeeah... uh, whatever she's havin'!”

“One Minotaur Sweatbomb, comin' right up,” he grinned devilishly.

“Welp, horseapples!” Dash sighed.

“It doesn't taste as bad as it sounds. That's more or less an euphemism, darling!” Rarity giggled, cheeks growing a slight tinge of cherry.

“Uh... y'know, Rarity, I might not know half the words you spew sometimes, but I do happen to know what an euphemism is. That's supposed to make it sound... not as bad as it actually is!”

“Whatever, dear!” Rarity sighed happily, downing the glass in one. “It really doesn't taste that badly.”

“Sheesh, how many did you order?” Dash asked in surprise as the bartender slammed yet another in front of her and one in front of Dash herself.

“As much as I need, honey...” Rarity gave another happy sigh.

Dash took a sip. It tasted like unsweetened applesauce. However, the moment the liquid hit the back of her throat, there was a terrifying burning sensation.

“Holy c-crap!” Dash coughed, staring with disbelief at her drink before taking another heartily measured gulp.

“That'll be two bits, ma'am,” the bartender said to her.

Dash rolled out six. “Send me two more after this. That almost put me on my butt... awesome!”

“So...” Rarity said in a higher pitched voice than what she usually adopted as she took a sip of her newest glass. “How are you feeling, Rainbow?”

Dash didn't need to ask her what she meant. “Whenever we're talking about how, y'know, strong we are as a group, I'm feeling awesome and so confident. The moment I'm left to my own thoughts, I start to worry that we're not going to succeed or else I feel... scared about facing The Shadow. I feel like... a coward, Rare.” Rainbow felt a sinking feeling in her stomach. She was so sure that telling Rarity how much she was worried would alleviate her fears, but that didn't seem to be the case.

“Of course you aren't a coward! Why, you're one of the audacious stallions I know!” Rarity gasped in surprise.

“That's, uh, 'mare'...” Dash said, frowning at her. She took another sip and screwed up her face. “H-how strong did you say this stuff was? Am I gonna start calling my friends dudes, too?”

“Exactly! You are absolutely indomitable!” Rarity giggled loudly, not even listening to her. “I know you had those nightmares after the whole business with King Sombra, but you got over them just fine! I'm sure you'll be very heroic, dear!”

“If you say so, sir...” Dash said, putting a delicate emphasis on the last word and downing the rest of her glass.

After about an hour of steady drinking, Rainbow was starting to feel very bubble-headed. An announcement had been made over the ship's intercom that the Herodotus was preparing to disembark from Baltimare at last. Dash had given a cheer at this, happy to finally be moving toward their destination, frightened or not. Applejack had joined them an hour after that. She had finally lost interest in the stallion she had been chatting up after he made a few unwelcome advances.

“I told 'em y'all gotta earn the combination to this safe!” Applejack chuckled, throwing back her twelfth glass of sherry. “I-I-I was like, 'Yer cute 'n all, but hooo-flippin'-whee, not so fast, hammer-hooves!'” Applejack gave a hiccup.

Shortly thereafter, the Wonderbolts had entered the common area. Rainbow Dash had found it very difficult to concentrate on the approaching Soarin, who looked as though he was dancing his way through couches and tables on his way over. In actuality, he was walking perfectly straight.

“Soarin, dude!” Dash giggled, feeling her face burning like the fires of the hottest star in the universe. “Why ya movin' all over the place? Come and have a d-drink... try thish Minotaur's shweetcheeks or whatever... it's great! I've had, uh—” she tried to count some of her empty glasses. “Well, I dunno how many! The bartender takes them away when there's five glasshes, and he's done that three or four times, so...” Dash trailed off, giggling. “You're so cute, Soar!”

“Rainbow Dash... are you alright?” Soarin asked with concern. “Maybe you should stop before you start feeling sick.”

“But I feel totally awesome!” Dash clapped her hooves together, turning to face her drink again and hiccuping.

“Are you sure, Dashie?” Soarin pressed on.

“I love when you call me that, by the way! Rarity's been calling me it too! Everypony should call me 'Dashie' tonight! The great Rainbow Dashie!” Rainbow reached over and gave Rarity a hug, causing the unicorn to giggle and nearly fall into Applejack beside her, who guffawed again.

“Excellent,” Spitfire snapped, looking at the three mares. “Half of Princess Celestia's greatest champions are completely sloshed. At least I know our loss in Saddle Arabia will be a swift one. I wouldn't want to suffer.”

“I warned ya, Spitty...” Dash said, draining another full glass. “If ya tick me off again, I'm gonna... something about knocking something in? Shoot... uh, shucks! Sheesh, I'm shlurring my words somethin' nuts!”

“I look forward to your attempts to knock my thing in. Right, where's Twilight Sparkle?” Spitfire asked impatiently. “I need somepony sober to give your room keys too.”

“They haven't been to the common area yet,” Rarity explained, tracing a hoof around one of her empty glasses. “Won't you join us, Captain? We're having a gay old time!”

“Maybe you didn't notice my insult just then?” Spitfire spat at her. “I'm looking to give these keys to somepony who isn't making an ass of herself!”

“Right, that's enough!” Dash snarled, whirling around and sliding off her stool on to all fours. Much to her surprise, considering that Rainbow Dash felt absolutely fine at that moment, her legs buckled under her weight and she hit the floor with a smack.

“Maybe ya should take Rainba Dash to one o' da rooms, Soarin?” Rapidfire spoke up. “It ain't dat late yet, but she looks like she could do wit sleepin' some of dat off, righ'?”

“That's probably a good idea. Can I get a key, Captain?” Soarin asked, stooping low to help Dash to her hooves.

“Yeah, whatever.” Spitfire shrugged unconcernedly and reached into one of her bags, extracting a handful of keys on strings and separating one from the rest and giving it to the officer.

“Thanks, Captain. C'mon, Dashie...” Soarin said patiently, leading her toward the stairs.

“There's that name again!” Rainbow beamed brightly, still blushing furiously. She felt absolutely elated at that moment, but for some reason, she couldn't seem to master walking on her own.

“Yep!” Soarin said encouragingly, placing the key in his mouth and sweeping her into his arms. “I don'p twhast you on dese steps...” Soarin extended his wings, ready for flight.

“Whoa, Soarin!” Dash gasped, wrapping her arms around his neck. “Forgot you were packin' shome serious upper body strength. Dashie likes...” she said in a seductive voice, leaning in close to him and sliding her tongue along his ear. She grinned as he started to blush.

“Get her out of here, Soarin. Before I vomit!” Spitfire raged.

Soarin took off with a flap, supporting Rainbow Dash in his arms as he flew off in the direction of the doors. Once outside, he twisted gracefully and flew along the side of the ship. Dash let out a gasp of wonder as she noticed the shimmering sea all around them, painted gold by the setting sun. With difficulty, Soarin pulled the key out of his mouth and gave it to Dash for not-so-safe keeping so he could speak.

“Sooo, the Captain has a point, Dashie... you're not in your right state of mind,” Soarin said firmly, circling higher and higher, ignoring the steps leading up to the upper floors.

“How much time hash passed?” Dash asked, ignoring him and still focusing on the setting sun, rolling the key between her hooves.

“A few hours, I think? The Admiral has a rough idea of why we're on this ship, so he's going to leave it in the water overnight. It's a darker colour, so it'll be hard to see amongst the waves,” Soarin explained, finding an entrance to the second floor by soaring over a rail, head bent low. “I think it's a great strategy if the enemy is watching out for us.”

“And tomorrow, we fly!” Dash cheered, cuddling herself against his chest, again she seemed to ignore any negative information. “I'm so happy to have you with me...”

“I know, Dashie, I know...” Soarin said gently, headbutting open a door and pushing forward into the inner deck.

Once inside, he landed carefully on the soft aquamarine carpet and helped Rainbow Dash to her hooves. He glanced down at his key.

“This is for room #219...” Soarin mumbled. “Keep an eye out for it, okay?”

“I can barely shee right now, dude!” Dash giggled, leaning heavily against his body while twisting around his front to kiss him. She overbalanced and hit the floor. “Oopsie!”

“Are you okay, Dash?!” Soarin gasped, dropping low and grasping one of her front hooves with both of his own.

“Well, duh!” Rainbow smiled contentedly as though nothing happened, her face still an impressive shade of magenta.

“Well, alright, if you say so...” Soarin said in an unsure voice, reading golden-emblazoned plates on each door and stopping at one half-way down the corridor. “Ah, here we are!”

Rainbow stumbled toward the door and fumbled with the key in her hooves. She made three attempts to thrust it into the lock, each one ending in failure. Soarin patiently guided her hooves until the key slipped into the lock. Twisting it with some theatrical swaying motions, Dash shoved the door open and tripped over her hooves again.

Soarin followed her into the tiny but comfortable looking room. There was a shag rug in the middle of the room at the foot of a large queen-sized bed. A small lamp hung from the ceiling and there were two small tables on either side of the bed and a dresser at the far end of the room.

“Let's get you into bed, Dashie! C'mon, up you get!” Soarin pulled her up again and she collapsed into his arms.

“Are you coming too, Soar?” Dash asked him in a very soft voice, stroking his face lightly with a hoof.

“Of course. I'll stay with you tonight!” Soarin gave her a warm smile. “But not just yet, I should check up on the team and find the rest of your friends first.”

“Nooo...” Rainbow pouted, turning and throwing herself upon the bed. She crawled to the headboard and flipped around, beckoning him with a hoof. “Pleeease...”

Soarin gave a sigh and crawled on with her. “Okay, Dashie. I'll chill out for a few minutes, okay? You need to get to sleep, you're way too tipsy right now.”

“I'm fine...” she whispered to him, reaching up and wrapping a hoof around his neck. Pulling him down toward her, she kissed him passionately, tracing her tongue along his lips, which he kept firmly closed. “We haven't had much time together... should make the best of it, hmm?”

“Sssh...” Soarin said gently, stroking her mane and dropping down beside her. He wrapped his arms around her torso. “We have all the time in the world, Rainbow Dash. But right now, you should sleep. You're not in your right mind.”

“I told you, I'm fiiine...” Dash explained, her eyelids feeling heavy.

“I'm gonna go check up on the rest, alright? I'll be back in five minutes!” Soarin assured her, placing a soft kiss on her lips. “You just rest your eyes, alright?”

“Whatever...” Dash yawned. “I'll be waiting for you when you get back, Mr. Handsome Wonderbolt...”

She watched him get off the bed and walk out of the room, closing the door behind him. With a click, Soarin appeared to have locked it. Dash closed her eyes, happy thoughts swirling around in her mind about the pegasus that she adored. He was so strong and handsome, she thought. Dash felt that he was always so good to her. She could happily cuddle into him the entire night.

Rainbow wasn't even aware that she was drifting off to sleep. Nevertheless, she woke up abruptly what felt like mere minutes later, heart racing as a repeat of the last nightmare to rattle her bones had shocked her awake. Judging by the twisted bedsheets all around her, someone must have tucked her into bed. She had a pounding headache rumbling in her skull.

'That freaking nightmare again...' Dash thought miserably. It had been the one with Wave Chill taunting her, standing side by side with the mysterious unicorn as she fell to the hard ground below. Opening her eyes, she turned to her side and was surprised not to see Soarin laying beside her. What was more, the room was in complete darkness.

Dash sat up and rubbed her head. Virtually all traces of inebriation had left her, though the pounding headache remained. Looking around the room, she spotted an illuminated clock face on the wall. It was 4:13 AM.

“Sweet Celestia...” Dash mumbled to herself, throwing off the bedsheets and slipping off the side of the bed. “I must have been out for like six hours.

She stood up carefully and deliberately, testing to see if she was still intoxicated. Realizing that she was quite steady on her hooves, she approached the dresser with the mirror hanging on the wall above it and glanced around for a light switch. She took a few steps toward the door, where she could see the faint white of the switch contrasting against the dark red wallpaper by the faintest moonlight streaming through the small window. Flicking it on, she turned around and almost jumped out of her fur.

Soarin was curled up on the rug and snoozing quietly. Rainbow was was impressed by the sight. At least, she was once her heart had made its way back into her chest from her throat. She never realized he was so chivalrous. 'I can almost remember... trying to get him to come on the bed with me. I think he did...' Dash thought to herself, frowning. 'I hope I didn't make an ass of myself. Gentlecolt, though! He knew I was drunk off my trees.'

She approached the mirror and studied her reflection. Her mane was dishevelled and the whites of her eyes looked blood red, but otherwise she looked fine. She smirked at the reflection and stuck out her tongue.

“I'm never touching that muck Rarity had me drinking again!” Dash said quietly to herself, shaking her head. She felt wide awake. Hungry, too.

Deciding to see if that private parlour the Admiral had described had any food, she picked up the key from the dresser. Very quietly, making sure not to wake Soarin, she opened the door and slipped out, and just as quietly, locked it behind her. She made to place the key in her mouth and hesitated.

“Wait... it's on a string! Duh, Soarin! You could have just hung it around your neck earlier...” Dash rolled her eyes, smirking to herself.

Slipping it over her head, she made her way to suite #221 after a brief stop at a restroom. Along the way, she heard Prince Blueblood's voice floating from around a corner. He sounded drunk, spluttering and laughing like an idiot.

'Awesome. The ship's navigator's hit the alcohol. I bet this ship crashes into freakin' Dragonspire.' Dash thought, rolling her eyes. She stopped dead when she heard a high pitched giggle and someone reply to him in a sultry voice. A voice she recognized. 'Oh, sweet Celestia, Rarity! Gross, Blueblood's a pig! Is she really that drunk? Never letting her hear the end of that one...”

Pushing some terrifying imagery from her mind, she proceeded to the door of the suite and tried the handle. She was very happy to find the door unlocked. Opening it quietly, she tiptoed inside. The immediate area inside the door was a small dining area, in case passengers that usually occupied this suite wanted room service rather than dining in the ship's commons. Pushing ahead, Rainbow Dash passed by two small bedrooms, both with an open door.

Peering inside the first room, she spotted Fire Streak and Lightning Streak, both deeply asleep. Peeking into the next one, she saw three beds. Rapidfire and Fleetfoot were fast asleep. The Wonderbolts must have claimed the suite, she realized. The bed beside Rapidfire was empty, but disturbed. With a sudden feeling of dread, she moved on to the end of the suite, gently pushing open a door labelled 'parlour'.

“Well, well...” Spitfire said loftily as Dash entered, lounging on a long red sofa with a glass of wine clasped between her hooves. “I'm surprised to see you walking.”

“Spitfire,” Dash greeted curtly, acknowledging her with a very brief nod.

Rainbow descended a small flight of steps into a warmly coloured room complete with a self-serve bar, several soft chairs and sofas, and a fireplace. Spotting a few bread rolls and crisps on a plate at the bar, she made beeline for them.

“Hungry, are we?” Spitfire asked with a quirked eyebrow, starting to look more and more offended that Dash was just helping herself.

“Sorry, but there was no food in our room, the common area is probably closed, and I didn't really eat yesterday. So...” Dash trailed off, shoving a full roll into her mouth.

Spitfire seemed to be studying her for a moment. Dash felt a tinge of unease, expecting her to start raging at any moment. Much to her surprise, however, Spitfire jerked her head at one of the soft velvet chairs.

“Care to join me for a drink? I'd suggest non-alcoholic, so you don't look like a total jackass again,” the Captain offered.

'I guess that's as close to a friendly gesture as she's going to give me,' Dash thought ruefully in her head. Seizing a bottle of water from a bucket of ice, she strolled over and dropped down in the seat.

The two mares sat in an uncomfortable silence for a few minutes. Dash screwed off the top of her bottle and took a number of small sips, which felt pleasant on her dehydrated throat.

“Well, not that I don't enjoy awkward silences or anything, but it's clear you don't like me, Rainbow Dash,” Spitfire said abruptly, finishing her glass of wine and lying down more comfortably on the sofa. “Care to explain why?”

Dash frowned at her. “It's not so much that I can't stand you or anything, Captain. It's the simple fact that you've been prone to jumping down everypony's throats lately!”

“Fancy that,” Spitfire said simply. “Care to... take a guess why?”

“I honestly have no idea. Honestly, it seems to be that your jealous that I'm growing close to Soarin!” Dash accused, feeling her insides churning with unease. She couldn't really understand why.

“I told you before... you've got the measure of me all wrong. I won't deny, though... there is a bit of jealousy there. And dammit, you can't exactly blame me!” Spitfire said defensively. “I told you that I loved him. That's not exactly easy to just drop. Also, it might not come as a surprise to you that Soarin's obviously a novice when it comes to relationships, as our own didn't go anywhere. He doesn't exactly comprehend 'kiss and don't tell'.”

Dash opened her mouth quickly but seemed unable to find any words to utter. Spitfire grinned at her and leaned over to a small table sitting between them. She placed her empty glass upon it and filled it up with more wine from the bottle on the floor. Reaching into a cupboard under it and pulling out a second glass, she poured Dash a generous volume. Dash accepted it, mouth still slightly agape.

“Just in case you're worried, I don't know what the hell you might or might not have done the night of the airshow. He's not that much of a dimwit to let something like that slip, but he kept going on about enjoying his time with you. Honestly, he wouldn't shut the hell up about you. The stupid, brain-dead moron...” Spitfire said with venom, sipping her wine.

Dash began to relax a little once Spitfire had explained that Soarin had not gone into detail about what might have transpired after their first kiss on her couch, but anger now filled the void inside her once the apprehension had left.

“Can't you just leave him the hell alone?!” Dash snapped, laying the glass of wine down without drinking any and flexing her wings in fury as she stood up. “He wasn't ready to progress things with you because he probably wasn't all that interested anymore! He probably wasn't sure how to tell you because, as you've said yourself, he's not an expert at dating!”

“Sit down. Who do you think you're impressing, jumping up as though you think you have the guts to do a damn thing about it?” Spitfire asked in a dangerous voice. “It's awfully hard to forgive a guy for breaking your heart when he starts monologuing about his new squeeze to your face as though there's nothing wrong! Do you have any idea how much that eats at me? And the stupid moron knows I'm still hurting over the whole ordeal! As if I haven't been through enough in my effing life!”

Rainbow felt the fight drain out of her as she gave a sigh. “Look, Spit, I—”

“It's bad enough that my ex boyfriend is practically rubbing his newfound happiness with another mare, a rival, in my face. But I also have to contend with the fact that The Shadow is threatening to destroy everything that matters to me!” Spitfire stormed, leaping to her hooves and slamming the wine glass on the table with such force that Dash was surprised it didn't break. “I would be dead if it weren't for the Wonderbolts. I'm the Captain, I put the team before my own boyfriend which probably attributed to the pair of us drifting apart. I have poured every last drop of blood, sweat, and tears into the Wonderbolts for the last seventeen years! Ever since I was thirteen! And it's entirely possible that we'll be eliminated in Gymkhana...” Spitfire paused here, breathing deeply as she tried to catch her breath. Dash was shocked to see tears in her eyes. “How dare you accuse me of jumping down ponies' throats? You have no idea, NO IDEA, what I've been through and how important being a Wonderbolt means to me!” Spitfire closed her eyes, positively quaking with emotion.

Dash let Spitfire explode herself into silence. Slowly, Rainbow dropped back into her seat and stared at her glass of wine. She had felt a little flutter of pride when Spitfire had referred to her as a rival, but it had been marred by pity and confusion.

“Spitfire, I... I know it's not exactly my place to ask, but what—” Dash tried to speak.

“'What the hell am I talking about'?” Spitfire supplied, cutting her off.

“Not exactly, I—” Dash attempted to correct Spitfire, but the Captain cut across her again with a mere wave of her hoof.

Spitfire sighed and dropped back onto the couch, running a hoof across her eyes. “I just told you I would be dead if it weren't for the Wonderbolts. This wasn't exaggeration, Rainbow Dash. When I was seven years old, my mother was murdered by her ex boyfriend. I never knew my father.” Spitfire began, putting her face in her hooves.

Dash sat there in stunned silence, unable to say a word.

“I was afraid of being taken away. I was afraid that he'd be coming back for me, so I ran away. Ran as far away from Phillydelphia as I could. That's where we lived, see... Do you have any idea what that's like? I watch your own mother die?” Spitfire asked, keeping her face hidden.

“I... do, Spitfire. I absolutely do. I'm not trying to diminish your own suffering or anything, but I was with my mom when she died of brain cancer eighteen years ago. I was only four...” Dash explained, closing her eyes as the pain tore at her heart. “That's why I... on the train, earlier...”

“I...” Spitfire hesitated, looking up to stare over at Rainbow Dash, who looked her dead in her amber eyes. Dash could see that she was still tearful. “I'm sorry, Dash.”

“It's... fine. Really. I'm sorry you had to go through watching something so horrible...” Dash said, these startling similarities making her want to stroll over and embrace Spitfire like a sister, just so they could cry into each other's arms for comfort. She mastered the impulse, however.

“Anyway, I lived as a street urchin and roamed Equestria until I was twelve or thirteen, I can't remember specifically when. But... I had enough of it. I had enough of scrounging for food, being chased by other children and hissed away by mares and stallions who could have helped me due to my delinquent appearance. I didn't even have my cutie mark. So I decided to throw it all away! My pathetic existence! I had no family, no nothing. Without a cutie mark, I never exactly had something folks would call a 'destiny', did I?” Spitfire said in a disgusted voice.

“When you say you decided to throw away...” Dash said uncertainly, feeling her stomach clench painfully.

“The cliffs on the edge of Baltimare. That's why I wasn't exactly keen on hanging around in town today. I stole some rope from the dockworkers one morning and tied it around my body to pin my wings to my sides. I climbed up the hills overlooking the sea and was ready to jump in...” Spitfire said, wiping away more tears.

Throwing away all pretence, Dash strolled over and sat down beside her.

“Who do you think you are? Blaze or Fleetfoot?” Spitfire said with a small laugh as Dash put an arm around her.

“I'm just Rainbow Dash, Spitfire. But it's clear you could use a friend rather than somepony who fights with you right now!” Dash said, giving her a squeeze.

“Charming.” Spitfire sighed, rolling her eyes. “But thanks for the thought.”

“So, what happened?” Dash asked, removing her arm once Spitfire had dried her eyes.

“Well, if you're going to kill yourself by jumping off the cliffs, make sure the Wonderbolts aren't doing a show in the town you pick to do it in.” Spitfire shrugged. “That ebony bastard...”

“Rapidfire?!” Dash gasped in surprise.

“Yep. He saw me approaching the cliffs while flying around the city. I guess to enjoy the sights? Whatever the reason, he landed next to me and tried to talk me out of it. He didn't have ash-coloured streaks in his red hair then. It was orange...” Spitfire trailed off a moment, lost in reminisce. “Anyways, he was a little cocky about it. Didn't I know who the Wonderbolts were? Did I really expect to pull it off? 'I'll just catch ya!' he said. 'A pretty young ting like ya must have lots ta live for.' I jumped anyway. True to his word, he caught me the moment my mane cleared the edge of the cliff. He tore the ropes off and dragged me back into town to get cleaned up and fed. Told him I didn't want his sympathy! Told him I just wanted to be let alone to die in peace. Stubborn old goat wouldn't allow it. I managed to give him the slip and flew away from Baltimare as fast as I could. He caught up with me as easily as he freakin' caught me sailing off that cliff! But he said he was impressed with my flying...”

Spitfire paused here for another moment. She readjusted herself on the sofa to show off her cutie mark, three licks of flame in the shape of a bird.

“A phoenix?” Dash asked, thinking about Princess Celestia's pet bird, Philomena.

“Indeed. Rapidfire offered to get me placed into the Wonderbolt Academy. Told me they'd take care of me and keep me fed. Offered to cover everything, even offered to tutor me, since I lacked any real education since I had run away,” Spitfire said in a whisper, gazing down at her cutie mark. “The words were barely out of his mouth when this appeared on my flank. Phoenixes represent rebirth and resurrection... I actually knew what phoenixes were, so when my eyes caught this, I knew that this was... my second shot at life. I accepted at once! I met Soarin and Wave Chill at the Academy... I lived there myself and they did the training every single year! We were all best friends and we practically grew up together! We all made it onto the team once we were old enough to qualify and I rose through the ranks quickly. I've been Captain now for over four years. Youngest ever Wonderbolt Captain, all because of Rapidfire's kindness. I owe him, and the Wonderbolts, everything. All throughout the years, he was there for me like a parent. He was the father I never had and I love him as much as anypony would love their own father. He lets me call him 'Dad' when we're not being formal. Or, you know, when I'm not trying to bite his head off. Maybe the phoenix represented my flaming personality?” Spitfire finished with an amused chuckle. “So there you have it, Rainbow Dash. I'm short tempered lately because, one, I always am, and two, The Shadow is a threat to everything I've ever known. So I'm edgy... I'm also nearly as upset over the whole Wave Chill business as Soarin. Like I said, we were all best friends. Wave Chill was as much my brother in the academy as Soarin's. So that's another thing adding to my misery lately. As for Soarin himself...” Spitfire trailed off briefly. “He really likes you, Dash. So I'm probably gonna be angry with him for awhile if he doesn't shut up about you. I'd still give my life for him, like I would for any member of the team, but I'm treating him like crap if it makes me feel better. That's not changing for awhile!”

“Fine, fine...” Dash laughed, reaching over for her glass of wine at long last, “just try not to be too harsh on him, alright? It hurts me to see him harassed so... fiercely.”

“Well, deal with it, honey!” Spitfire grinned. “Anything else you wanna talk about before I actually go to sleep for a few hours?”

“As a matter of fact...” Dash leaned back on the sofa, fixing Spitfire with a determined look. “Who's the fastest Wonderbolt?”

“Ha!” Spitfire threw back her head and laughed, looking scores happier than Dash had ever seen her. “Soarin finally told you that I wasn't the fastest, did he? I was wondering when he was going to pop that little bubble of self-confidence that was surely blossoming around your ears! No, Rainbow Dash, in case you were wondering: you did not beat the fastest Wonderbolt in a race. Fleetfoot has your speed and my techniques. You'll find her quite the challenge!”

“I look forward to racing her when this is all said and done, then!” Dash laughed, pounding her chest. “Nopony can beat the great Rainbow Dash!”

Still grinning, Dash raised her glass to her lips to take a sip. She felt so content at that moment, so happy that she could finally talk to Spitfire like she would any of her friends. It was friendly jabs like her 'little bubble of self-confidence' that Dash preferred over real animosity. Before she could take a sip, however, the door to the parlour flew open with a crash.

“What the...” Spitfire jumped up, alarmed. “Rapidfire? Lightning Streak? What is it?”

“Captain!” Lightning Streak stammered. “The crew just banged on the door, ma'am! They were going over preparations for the ship lifting into the sky in an hour's time and they came across stowaways hiding amongst luggage on the lowest deck. They want the Wonderbolts for added security...”

“Stowaways... no...” Rainbow Dash gasped, her heart pounding. “Did the Voidwalker see us leaving Canterlot for Baltimare?!”

“My thoughts exactly, Dash!” Spitfire snarled. “No doubt our enemy's been keeping a close watch on us. Probably intended to ambush us once we were far enough in the middle of the ocean! Go and wake Soarin, Rainbow Dash. Meet us outside on the deck! We'll get your friends!”

“Alright!” Dash said, tearing up the stairs and back into the suite proper. “I expect Rarity's already aware of what's going on! At least, she is if the navigator is!”

Rainbow Dash ran back to her room at top speed and quickly opened the door. Shaking Soarin awake, she quickly explained the situation and the pair of them met the rest of their allies rushing down the corridor.

“Where's Rarity?!” Twilight asked in fear. “Fleetfoot said there's trespassers!”

“I'm right here!” Rarity stammered, racing around a corner and panting. “Seems you all already know, then!” She looked a real mess. All of her make-up had been running and her hair was sticking out everywhere. “That gives me some time...”

“What are you doing, Rare? C'mon!” Rainbow Dash said, stamping her hooves as Rarity ran into one of the rooms.

“Alright, I'm coming!” she answered, running out with a hairbrush and washcloth levitating beside her, caught in the glow of her horn. “I'll clean myself up en route!

“I hope you're not too tipsy, Rarity!” Dash said warningly.

“I'm fine! At least, I'll manage...” Rarity said with uncertainty.

Within minutes, they had all reached the main deck. Admiral Hiexhes was waiting for them. Judging by the complete lack of other ponies, it was likely that the crew were keeping the other passengers inside their rooms.

“Gallopin' griffins, I'm glad you're all here!” the Admiral panted. “I ordered my crew away from the lowest deck the moment one of them reported the stowaways. I don't know exactly what the threat Princess Luna spoke of is, but...”

“We'll deal with it!” Spitfire said in a commanding voice. “I don't mean to give you orders, Admiral, but keep your crew up here to prevent our enemies escaping! They're safer up here as well.”

“I shall, Captain! Thank you,” the Admiral bowed to her.

The group proceeded to the bow of the ship where a crew member stood next to an open trapdoor. She was a pale green pegasus with pink mane.

“Straight through here. Good luck!” she said in a terrified voice.

Spitfire lead the group down into the darkness, wings splayed wide to cushion her landing. As Twilight, Rarity, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie couldn't fly down on their own, they were helped by Lightning Streak, his brother, Rapidfire, and Soarin. Bringing up the rear and practically dragging Fluttershy along with her was Rainbow Dash, Fleetfoot beside her.

The room below the bow looked like a mixture between a factory and a warehouse. Wires and tubes were everywhere the eye could see, illuminated by the early morning sunlight streaming in through the trap door. Rainbow could see rigging and other strange looking mechanisms that must, she thought, be linked to the zeppelin portion of the ship.

“Keep your voices down, you lot...” Spitfire whispered to the group. “I can hear them speaking, just over there.”

Rainbow Dash flicked her ears, desperate to catch something of what they were saying. The voices sounded muffled but not very distant. There didn't seem to be any more than three or four speakers.

“Be careful, you two...” Applejack hissed warningly as the Captain and Soarin moved forward in the direction of the voices. “Y'all don't know what's down here! And remember, we ain't got the Elements of Harmony with us...”

There were two large bins piled high with luggage. Bags and bags of clothes and possessions towering over them with those deathly whispers floating from their midst. Soarin and Spitfire stopped just short of the bin and Soarin turned to look back at the group.

“Twilight Sparkle? Rarity?” he whispered, jerking a hoof at the pile. “One of you should levitate the luggage out of the way. It sounds as though they're hiding under the pile. The other should shine a light on the stowaways. We'll surround them once they're blinded.”

Spitfire nodded her approval to the plan and Rainbow felt a sudden rush of either excitement or fear, she couldn't seem to make up her mind. Slowly, the rest of the Wonderbolts began to spread out, ready to pounce at their foes in ambush.

“On three!” Spitfire hissed, leaning low on all four hooves and spreading her wings. “One, two, three, now!

Twilight's horn glowed a light raspberry as she concentrated, focusing her magic on the pile in front of them. Squinting her eyes, the luggage suddenly flew into the air and the Wonderbolts darted forward.

They stopped short, all of them. The figures who had been hidden were caught by the dazzling spotlight shone from Rarity. Shielding their eyes, they seemed to cower before their discoverers. Their bodies illuminated, Spitfire slowly turned to look at Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Rarity herself.

Dash's eyes were focused on the intruders. She could feel her stomach falling away from her as though she was rocketing into space. As Rarity lowered the intensity of her light, Dash continued to gaze at the three very guilty looking fillies.

“Oh dear...” Sweetie Belle mumbled in a squeaky voice filled with fear. “I... I guess yelling 'Surprise!' is out of the question, is it?” No one answered her. “Yes. Yes it is.”

“I don't even... understand...” Applejack said in a hollow voice, staring with disbelief at her younger sister. “Apple Bloom? What... what in blazes... what in tarnation are you three doing here?!”

Neither Dash nor Rarity seemed to be able to speak at that moment, though Rarity seemed to have a vein throbbing in her forehead. Twilight slowly moved forward, keeping the bags still floating overhead.

“Climb out, you three...” Twilight said gently, shaking a little with surprise. “You all must be starving and... and thirsty, too. Come out where we can see you properly.”

Slowly, the Crusaders did as they were told, Apple Bloom mumbling that she wanted a bathroom more than food or water at that moment. The moment that Twilight had returned the luggage to the bin, Rarity started to storm at her little sister. She cut a furious tirade on Sweetie Belle, who sank lower and lower on her hooves to the floor. Rainbow Dash couldn't make out a single thing that Rarity was screaming. Wordlessly, she beckoned the only child that had remained silent toward her; the only one she had been unable to look at.

Scootaloo slowly walked forward with a look on her face that suggested she was approaching a set of gallows. Dash took a firm hold of Scootaloo's arm and spread her wings, floating back to the trap door and into the sunlight. The journey back to the room she had shared with Soarin seemed to take an eternity, due to the fact that Dash had been in a daze the entire time.

“Go... get cleaned up...” Dash said in a flat voice, leading Scootaloo to one of the washrooms on the second floor.

Soarin knocked on the door to their room some five minutes later. Dash moved away from it and pulled it open. He stepped inside. He was holding some grapes, cheese, and crackers, with a bottle of water clamped in his teeth.

“Grabbed these from the common area on my way up,” Soarin explained, once Dash had taken his burden from him and he had removed the bottle from his mouth. “Do you need anything, Dashie?”

“No...” Dash shook her head. “But thank you, Soarin. Here, Scoot...”Dash laid the food and bottle on the dresser and Scootaloo slipped off the unmade bed to approach it.

“I'm going with Spitfire to explain the situation to the Admiral. I expect the ship will be preparing to fly in a half hour or so...” Soarin said offhandedly.

Dash was looking at him but she wasn't really seeing him. Her mind was filled with a faint buzzing noise, thoughts completely blank with shock. How could this have happened?

“I'll bring you up something for breakfast, alright? Scootaloo should be fine with those,” Soarin said when she did not reply.

“I... yeah. Thanks, Soar...” Dash said, giving her head a little shake and blinking.

Soarin placed a hoof on her shoulder, walking forward to embrace her before dropping back to all fours. “I'll be back soon, Dashie.”

Rainbow nodded her head slowly and Soarin left the room, closing the door behind him. Dash leaned against the door again, eyes locked on the shag carpet where Soarin had slept the night before. She could see some of his dark blue mane hairs caught in it. Scootaloo was sitting on the bed, eating ravenously, but quietly.

Once the orange filly had finished off the water, she screwed the stopper back on with her teeth and laid it on one of the side tables next to the bed. Rainbow Dash could see her doing this out of the corner of her eyes, now gazing out of the window over the bed.

“Rainbow Dash, I—” Scootaloo began, speaking at last.

“Scootaloo... why?” Dash asked, still not able to look her daughter in the face. Still completely numb with shock and disbelief.

“I-I...” Scootaloo spluttered, apparently unable to find the right words.

“Alright. How?” Dash snapped, feeling the emptiness slowly being replaced with anger.

“I- um, we ran back to the station when Ms. Harshwhinny wasn't looking...” Scootaloo answered meekly.

“Why did you?” Dash asked the floor, placing one of her hooves against her face.

“I didn't want you to go, so... I told my friends that maybe we should try and get on the train t—” Scootaloo tried to explain, Dash cutting across her.

“I told you I had to go. I told you... I had to go. Scootaloo, do you have any idea what you've done?” Dash demanded, breathing in sharply to try and steady herself.

“Wha-what do you mean, Sis?” Scootaloo asked, her own voice starting to tremble with fear.

“Can you imagine how Harshwhinny felt when you three disappeared? Can you imagine how Princess Celestia feels? She and Luna decided that the three of you would stay in Canterlot! Made sure that you guys would be safe with her! Can you imagine how guilty she must feel, knowing you three are lost?!” Dash roared, stamping her hoof hard on the floor.

“But... we didn't think that—” Again, Dash cut across her.

“Do you remember...” Dash began, looking directly at Scootaloo now, “that day you and your friends caused the fire in your clubhouse? Do you remember when I had to spank you for that?”

Scootaloo was staring at her own knees, nodding. “Yeah...” she replied in an embarrassed voice.

“Do you remember what I said to you after? I told you I was going to trust you completely, Scootaloo...” Dash trailed off for a moment, taking her eyes off the filly again. “Was I wrong to trust you?”

“No!” Scoot cried in hysterics, jumping off the bed and rushing over to her. Scootaloo flung her arms around Dash's waist. “No, Rainbow Dash! You can trust me!”

“Scootaloo, there's no more dangerous place in this entire world than where this ship is going!” Dash said, closing her eyes.

“But... you're going...” Scootaloo said, giving a shudder as she began to cry.

“Do you honestly think I wanted to go, Scootaloo? I told you I was scared. It's because this mission is dangerous!” Rainbow Dash dropped all pretence about sugar-coating what was waiting for them in Saddle Arabia. “These bad guys aren't like anything me or my friends have faced, Scootaloo. Ponies could die. YOU COULD DIE OUT HERE!”

“I thought... you'd be happy to see me...” Scootaloo whimpered, “please don't... don't yell at me...”

“Scootaloo, I've never wanted to see you less than I do right here on this boat...” Dash said, her stomach squirming as though she had just flown through a vortex.

She picked up Scootaloo and moved her back to the bed. The filly was shaking violently, her ears twitching and tail wrapping around her body as she curled up on the mattress. Dash moved away from the bed, feeling extremely dizzy.

“You should have stayed put... you were safe in Canterlot! You were safe, Scootaloo. I would have been able to face anything if I knew that nothing could hurt you. I don't know how you got from the train to this boat and I really don't care. You betrayed my trust, Scootaloo... This stupid boat is reaching Saddle Arabia today! We don't know what the place will be like when we arrive. If anything happens to you, I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

“Sis... I'm so s-sorry...” Scoot bawled from the bed, voice muffled as she cried into her own tail. “I love you... I was afraid I was never gonna see you again...”

“YOU DRAGGED YOURSELF AND YOUR FRIENDS, INTO THE MOST DANGEROUS SITUATION YOU'LL EVER BE IN!” Dash shouted, staring a hole into the wall. “Scootaloo, I can't even look at you right now! This is the very last thing I needed to deal with... You were safe! Now we don't even know when we'll be able to get you all back to Canterlot!”

Horrible visions were flooding her mind. Fire, screaming, a great black shadow rippling over fleeing ponies and horses. She could remember finding Scootaloo's unmoving body in her nightmare.

“Scootaloo... I'm leaving, I... I can't deal with this right now.” Dash said with a horrible finality in her voice, feeling as though the world was closing in around her. “Stay here, so I know where you are.”

“R-Rainbow Dash!” Scootaloo wailed. “M-Mom... Mom, I'm sorry! Don't go!”

Rainbow Dash couldn't say another word. She approached the door and pulled it open. Stepping into the corridor outside, she closed the door behind her and pressed her back to it. The corridor was completely empty, as other passengers were either still asleep or outside, waiting for the ship to lift into the sky. Slowly, she slid down to door to the floor.

She had experienced so many emotions in the last twenty four hours. Anger, hatred, fear, sadness, total depression, happiness, wonder. So much had happened between writing to her father and now. Everything was swirling around her and closing in like descending night.

Dash curled her own body up against the door. On top of everything that had happened, finding Scootaloo on the ship had been the absolute worst possible thing to happen. She placed a shaky hoof to her eyes, shivering uncontrollably. It was too much for her. She could not stop herself.

The realizing that Scootaloo's well being had been jeopardized had sent her into real panic now. Tears began to leak from the eyes of the mare who never cried as Dash squinted them shut, shaking all over. The Herodotus sped ever-closer to the country that she feared would become a graveyard.

PreviousChapters Next