• Published 31st Mar 2013
  • 9,855 Views, 1,155 Comments

What's Really the Most Important? - KrishnaKarnak



Rainbow Dash's life with Scootaloo has begun. But with a nasty disorder growing in the young Scoot, will Rainbow be able to balance affections between her and Rainbow's crush, Soarin? A mission to Saddle Arabia is about to make everything m

  • ...
20
 1,155
 9,855

PreviousChapters Next
23 Dear Joey

June 18

Holy crap, Joey,

Things are a total mess right now. I can't even BEGIN to describe how quickly everything has gone to hell. Remember when I told you Soarin stayed over after the airshow? The Wonderbolts departed for Saddle -freakin'- Arabia the following Monday. Part of their private contract stuff, y'know, the jobs that are kept out of the public eye. Soarin won't talk about it, since it's 'confidential'! What a crock of piss. Oh! Listen to me, trying to sound funny to disguise the fact that I am totally terrified right now.

They came back early and on Scootaloo's last day of school. Scoot did really great! She's so smart, makes me really proud to call her my daughter, and we had a really fun day in Ponyville and with Tank. But... I got some pretty bad news before I picked her up from school.

While abroad on what was supposed to be a mission concerning marauding dragons, the Wonderbolts were attacked by something we're all calling 'The Shadow'. To add sprinkles to this B. S. cupcake, the Saddrabian military turned on them, too. Spitfire won't explain properly how The Shadow can actually attack and hurt ponies, but that's pretty damn irrelevant in the grand scope o' things. They fled for their lives, leaving the innocents to deal with the military that just murdered the ambassador's own militia. Rapidfire, that old guy on their team, was really ashamed about the whole thing, but what choice did they have, Joey? I believe Spitfire when she says they, the Wonderbolts I mean, could have been killed.

I keep picturing how King Sombra used to move around as this massive cloud of smoke. That was some scary stuff! I've been afraid of The Shadow moving in the same way. The very CONCEPT of it sends a cold chill down my spine. It wouldn't be so bad if we knew what the HELL it's supposed to be, but if it moves like Sombra... It would be like stepping back into a nightmare. Yeah, okay, not thinking about that right now or I'm gonna start glancing over my shoulder like a spaz.

Soarin hasn't been coping well. When they all came back, he acted all happy to see me and kissed me and stuff. I mean, I'm all for bumping gums with that adorable oaf, but there's such change in his personality in the days since. I held his for awhile yesterday and it all seemed... fake, Joey. It's related to the 'disappearance' of his brother Wave Chill during their escape from Saddle Arabia. I'll get to THAT little nugget in a moment. But he's being torn to pieces and I can't get him to open up to me. I understand he's got bigger potatoes on his plate, but it hurts me a little. Just sayin'.

The situation in Saddle Arabia has escalated and, again, I'll get to that in a moment, but The Wonderbolts saw fit to come straight to Ponyville after flying back from the Eastern Continent... flying the whole way, IN ONE GO. Being chased by The Shadow the entire Celestia-damned time. Just thinking about it makes me shiver. I'm getting timid in my tender old age of 22, I think.

Spitfire seemed to feel that the Elements of Harmony will be necessary against The Shadow. I mean, I'm all for crawling out of this cesspool of 'booored as baaalls' that my adventurous life has fallen into, but I can't deny that I'm scared. Maybe we'll get lucky and the Elements of Harmony will blast it to nothing when we arrive. Or maybe this will be the last entry I live long enough to write. What a cheerful line, almost makes me wanna slit my throat in joy!

Rainbow Dash gave a heavy sigh, rubbing her temples with her hooves and standing up. She walked out of her room and into the upstairs hallway. Peering into the crack of Scootaloo's partially open door, Dash saw the orange filly slumped over her desk, pencil held in her mouth, writing in her own diary. Dash smiled warmly at the scene. She knew Scootaloo had enough grip on her hooves to hold the pencil like Spike could hold a quill in his clawed hands, but Scoot always liked to challenge her dexterity by writing with her mouth. She's so damn adorable to watch, Rainbow thought. Still grinning, Dash moved away from the door.

Proceeding downstairs and into the kitchen, she poured herself a glass of water and drank it slowly. Her thoughts drifted back to the meeting in Canterlot. She tried to make sense of everything, but it made her head hurt. She approached the window over the sink and stared out into her backyard.

The days were certainly getting longer and longer with the solstice so close. 7:00 in the evening and the day was still bright. Rainbow could hear colts playing in a yard adjacent to her own, hidden by a tall wooden fence. She was breathing deeply, enjoying the fresh scent that was carried into her home by the breeze. It was hard to accept that all of this was potentially at risk.

Smash!

Rainbow Dash had not even realized she was still holding her empty glass, having been lost in her thoughts. As she leaned in closer to the window, the glass had shattered between the edge of the counter top and her hoof.

“What was that, Sis?” Scootaloo's soft voice bellowed from the top of the stairs in the hallway.

“Nothing, baby!” Rainbow Dash called back, trying to keep her bleeding and stinging hoof over the sink as she tried to bend low enough to sweep the glass shards to one side with her feathery wings. “That was me being an idiot!”

“Oh! Just the usual, then!” Scootaloo giggled and Dash heard her footsteps retreating overhead.

“'The usual' your blistered hide!” Dash fumed under her breath.

Rolling her eyes and cursing softly, Rainbow Dash turned on the taps and stuck her bleeding limb under the jet of cold water. She had to stop losing herself in her thoughts, especially since they were still a swirling cavalcade of confused musings and fear.

She always found her thoughts easier to digest when they were down on paper. Back to Joey, then! She twisted the taps off and examined her cut. It had not been a deep gash but it was still bleeding softly. She sucked on the cut as she reached for a roll of paper towels. Pressing the tissue hard against the cut by using her shoulder, she proceeded into the hallway closet for a broom and dust pan, taking the broom in her opposite arm and the dust pan by grabbing the handle with her mouth.

Once her mess had been cleaned and the bloodied paper had been tossed into the garbage bin, Dash rummaged around in a drawer and pulled out an aged first aid kit for some gauze for bandaging. Groaning, she returned the kit to the drawer, the broom and dust pan to the closet, and her butt to her bedroom.

She moved to sit on her bed and picked up the diary and pencil she had dropped on to it a few minutes previously. Throwing herself down on the mattress, she opened the little book back to where she had left off. Pausing to quickly re-read what she had already written, Dash gingerly put pencil to paper once more with her wrapped hoof.

Way to go, Joey! You made me cut myself, ya jerk... so, what are we facing? Aside from this darkness creature, there's a new... public figure, you could say, who's been labelling The Wonderbolts as the ones behind the deaths of innocents in the capital city of Gymkhana. What's more, according to this capital doorknob, Soarin and his teammates are now accused of commanding The Shadow. Remember when I mentioned Wave Chill disappearing? You'll NEVER guess who's been putting the blame on the Wonderbolts!

Betrayed by his own twin... it sickens me to even imagine it. I want to be there for Soarin, but he has a wall around him right now. Spitfire's pretty upset too. I mean, duh, she's the Captain, and he turned on the entire team, but apparently Spitfire, Soarin, and Wave Chill all grew up together. Really, most of the Wonderbolts are like a big ol' farce of a family, I guess! It's sorta cute...

Rapidfire's like the foul-mouthed, angry grandpa of the bunch. It fits, since I'm pretty sure he's gotta be pushing like 100 years old. Well, maybe closer to like 60, but still, prime piece of stallion to hook Granny Smith up with! I love the way he talks, too, he just butchers his words... uh, rambling, sorry! Back to my little metaphor... or simile? What's the difference? Anyway, Fleetfoot and High Winds are like the super-smart geeks who use big-ass words all the time. Kinda like Rarity, but a million times worse at the same time because Fleetfoot speaks stupidly fast. Lightning Streak and Fire Streak are the quarrelling siblings... oh, yeah, funny story... listen to this, Joey!

So, Lightning Streak made the comparison of Fire Streak to Wave Chill. Since Wave betrayed Soarin, Lighting said he would feel just as bad if Fire had done likewise. Fire Streak was NOT happy to be the bad guy in that little scenario. He ripped into Lightning Streak right in front of Celestia and Luna! Scootaloo didn't seem to like watching it, though. Yeah, the fillies were with us by the way, but I guess she's still not a big fan of people fighting around her. I guess, in the end, it wasn't that funny a story after all? If Scoot was upset, I mean, that ruins it.

Awesome, I got a sick feeling in my stomach now. Way to go, Rainbow Dash. Scoot was really happy to see Princess Luna, though... for some reason. I gotta remember to ask her if they're, like, pen pals behind the scenes or something. Now THAT would be a funny story: 'I got a new friend, Mom! It's that alicorn that controls the moon! We talk about cartoons!'

Speaking of the Princess, Luna's gonna be helping us fight The Shadow, the military, and whoever else that asshole Wave Chill manages to turn against us. She's been acting as a spy the last few days, collecting pretty valuable intel. We know Saddle Arabia has been slandering Princess Celestia as the one who sent The Wonderbolts to Gymkhana and they're spreading their stupid propaganda all over the Eastern nations. Dragonspire and Griffon Peaks have both given Saddle Arabia their support, Luna says. As if we didn't have enough to freaking worry about! They're still in contact with Canterlot, but if The Shadow decides to act...

The last thing we need is for the East to rise up against us. My mouth is dry right now, just from writing that. It feels like Equestria and the rest of the world are about to go to war... ten days, Joey. Ten days it's been since the airshow. Not even two weeks ago my biggest worry in the whole wide universe next to Scoot's disorder was Soarin not liking me in that birds n' bees sort of way...

Anyways, Twi's been perfecting spells to make us all look like other ponies so that we're sorta safe when we go to Saddle Arabia to try to salvage this situation. Salvage it somehow. Dunno how. All we've ever freaking done is blast stuff with the Elements of Harmony and talk about the magic of friendship. Yep, world renowned heroes, us, a buncha hippies.

It makes me want to cry. But I don't cry, Joey. You know that well enough by now. I've come close a lot recently, but I don't let it happen anymore. Sometimes I feel on the verge of breaking down, especially when I think about Scootaloo. Her anxiety has been acting up ever since she found out about all of this. She spent nearly all of today in her room, writing in her diary. Scoot's scared and worried and I can't get begin figure out how to approach her and talk her through everything. Every single day, this 'Mom' thing is starting to sound harder and harder, but I'll never give up. I love her so much and I want to help her, but I don't know what to do. Her next therapy session is coming up and I'm probably not gonna live to see it! I'm the only pony in the entire world she has. What if something happens to me? She'll lose everything all over again! I want to quit this stupid destiny crap and just stay home with her forever, but without Loyalty, the Elements are useless.

If I die, who's going to take care of her? Will my friends survive? Fluttershy, Pinkie, Applejack, Rarity, Twilight... what if any of them get hurt and I have to lose someone else I love? If we all go, then there's nopony left to take care of Scoots. Who's going to be there to comfort her during her nightmares? To hug and hold her and tell her everything is going to be okay? I might never get to see the pride in her eyes when she gets her cutie mark. I'd never get to see her make her first solo flight attempt if her wings ever get strong enough. I might never get to see her grow up and fall in love. Her future kids will just know about me through bedtime stories... Scoot will never be able to say to them, 'let's go visit grandma'...

The pencil rolled out of her hooves and on to the sheets. Dash's chest was heaving and she had her arm pressed tightly against her face. Deep breath after deep breath filled her lungs and made her throat sore. Biting down hard on her lip, she rolled over and pressed her face into her pillow. She was falling apart at the seams.

It took Rainbow Dash nearly five minutes to regain control over herself. Her eyes felt puffy and irritated, but she was able to prevent the tears from spilling. Her nose felt dry and her lip was bleeding because of the strength of her bite. With a shaky whimper, she sat up straight and placed the little book against her knees again.

Sorry for the pause, Joey. I had to stop and calm myself before I ended up breaking down into tears. It's just... man. Long story short, this is two ways screwed out of three. This is going to be so dangerous. We're leaving for Saddle Arabia after the Summer Sun Celebration. Princess Luna wants to do another day or so of reconscience... recommission... what's the stupid word, Joey? Renaissance missions, I think. Or, ugh, reconnaissance? That doesn't even look like a freaking word. 'Renaissance' it is. I'm sure I've heard that word recently, so that must be it.

I'm meeting up with Soarin tomorrow. They were all staying in Canterlot until they were sure that The Shadow had left, but they're back in Cloudsdale now. Misty Fly was pretty anxious to see her family. I can't blame her... Spitfire's calling all members of the Wonderbolts Academy together tomorrow. She seems to be as much afraid of dying as I am, since she was talking about who would be running the academy... then again, she's actually seen the enemy in action. I guess she's got every right to be scared if she wants to be. I'm just a filly being afraid of creeping shadows on a bedroom wall. At least, that's what I feel like.

I should go see the girls tomorrow, too... I want to know how Applejack is doing. Pinkie's probably the only one of us who's really been able to hide her worry well. Rarity's confident in what Twilight says about the strength we all have together. I... I guess I am too? I mean, I gotta give my friendicorns some credit; we HAVE all been through a lot and have come out of it all unharmed. I feel like a jerk considering I haven't really spoken much to Fluttershy lately. She's my oldest friend and she's probably just as scared as I am. I should be there for her and maybe her company would do me good. Next to Pinkie, Twilight, Rarity, and everyone who isn't Applejack, Flutters is another one I don't give enough credit too. We're all strong. Well, usually. I sure don't feel so right now, Joey. I'm gonna wrap this up, I think. This entry is huge.

Quick recap: Me and Scootaloo fell asleep on the couch on Friday. That was when the Wonderbolts got back, met with Luna on the moon, that was pretty cool, learned about The Shadow... that following Monday, which was yesterday, is when we all met with Princess Celestia and Princess Luna in Canterlot, heard about Wave Chill being the world's biggest douchebag and decided what we're going to all do. The Summer Sun Celebration is on the twentieth. It'll take place at noon instead of dawn after the solstice... Last minute change, I suppose, so we're all rested up to depart from Baltimare the next day. From there... Saddle Arabia.

Cuddling up with Scoots tonight, methinks! I hope I'll get to write in you again, bro. Wish me luck, I'll try to come back alive...hopefully future entries will return to the usual format of me complaining about how Big Macintosh smells funny on warm days and why I think Mayor Mare deserves broken legs. Anyways, peace out!

~RD

Rainbow Dash closed her diary and leaned over the edge of the bed, thrusting it out of sight beneath it. She laid back down for a moment, her eyes fixed on that poster of Soarin up on her wall. What would she do if she lost him instead of her own life? Rainbow shook her head furiously, rubbing her hooves over her eyes.

'Don't think about that...' she thought, annoyed with herself. She tapped her hoof against her forehead and rolled over to stare at the wall, stomach churning.

What if the Elements of Harmony won this fight, but the six of them were still killed by any allies of The Shadow? If Soarin lived instead, then it was possible that he would be there for Scoots. Rainbow Dash remembered Scootaloo asking her if Soarin was her boyfriend now. Rainbow had denied it, but Scootaloo did seem to approve of the idea.

'Soarin would make a great dad, I think...' Rainbow Dash sighed heavily once more, whacking her still-throbbing hoof absentmindedly against the sheets. Why couldn't things go back to normal? 'This would all be so much better... if I didn't think we were gonna die.' She pondered ruefully. 'Stupid Spitfire put all of this crap into my head!' Dash felt her stomach squirm uncomfortably again.

Rainbow Dash eventually slipped off of her bed and left the bedroom for Scootaloo's. Pushing the filly's door open, Rainbow could see that Scootaloo was still sitting at her desk. She was idly balancing her pencil on top of it, staring off into space. Dash rapped her hoof on the door frame and Scoot looked over.

“Yikes!” Scoot exclaimed, pointing at Dash's bandaged hoof. “Well done, Rainbow Dash! Cut off your arm next time!”

“Brat!” Dash said, seizing a stuffed animal sitting by the doorway and chucking it across the room at her. Scootaloo caught it easily, giggling.

“Wow! You sure showed me!” Scoot teased, tossing the toy into the air and catching it again.

Dash rolled her eyes. “Yeah, yeah, zip it!” She sighed. “Do you wanna lie down and watch a movie with me?”

Scoot considered her for a moment, tapping her hoof against her chin. “Well... I suppose! You're gonna need my comfort after your terrible accident, Mo-, uh, moron!”

“You're quite the little angel this evening!” Rainbow said sarcastically, but still wondering at the same time if 'moron' was Scootaloo's original choice of wording. “C'mon, I'll let you pick the movie because you seem determined to bully me tonight! Perhaps feeding the beast will silence it?”

“Feeding as in food?” Scoot asked, wings perking up and buzzing.

“Feeding as in giving you your way and letting you pick the movie.” Dash corrected her. “I know that look on your face! No sweets tonight! I will, however, make popcorn... if you behave.”

Scootaloo frowned at her. “Tough choice, Sis! But fine, I'll only tease ya ten or eleven more times tonight!”

Scoot jumped up off of her stool and climbed onto her bed to examine a shelf of video tapes over it. Picking out one she liked, and bounded out of the room. Rainbow watched her zip into Rainbow's own bedroom and scramble on top of the bed, bouncing up and down on the mattress.

Feeling a lot more cheerful, Dash proceeded down the stairs to make the popcorn.

PreviousChapters Next