• Published 26th Mar 2013
  • 1,656 Views, 71 Comments

The Kingdom and the Leviathan - beckoning devil



War has come to Equestria at the hands of the most vicious race they have ever encountered...

  • ...
12
 71
 1,656

Act II, Chapter V

Trenches inside Everfree forest
September 11th, 1851
Day 31 of the Invasion of Equestria

Tom and I were called to a briefing the next day. The rest of the regiment had arrived, taking positions about fifty or so feet to our flanks. We had heard the pony artillery too, and I had braced the men against the sides again. After another bombardment, I was told to report to the Lieutenant's office.

I stepped past the blue-coated soldiers on my way down the line, their heads turning to face me. They were bored, obviously, and seeing their Sergeant gave them the anticipation of orders.

I met with Tom outside the briefing room, which wasn't really a room, but a large pit dug into the side of the trench. It was damp, and very dark, so the Lieutenant had a couple of candles set up.

"Detail of Sergeants Carter and Wright requesting permission to enter."

"Permission granted."

We stepped inside, and we saw that there were easily as many maps as there were soldiers. Maps were strewn everywhere on the multiple tables that had been set up, and I truly got a sense of how large this war was.

"Please, be seated." The Lieutenant pointed to a pair of chairs, and we sat in them. I noticed Tom wiping dirt off of his, and then sitting down.

"Firstly, my name is Lieutenant Wilson. I know that I didn't give you, or the men, my name. Why? Because by the time we're relieved, you're going to wish that you hadn't given them yours. Don't think about that now, instead, focus on this." He pointed to a large map of Equestria, that had been stolen from some messenger, it seemed. If I squinted, I could've sworn there was blood...

"This, gentlemen, is Equestria. This is Canterlot, and this is where we are now." I noticed that Canterlot was in the middle of the map, and that all the railroads led to it. Our position was about 10 miles due east of it, or so, I couldn't really tell with the amount of light.

"Now, I trust that both of you remember the Battle of Canterlot?" I nodded, and Tom said, "We were there, sir."

Lieutenant Wilson nodded, and looked to the map again. "Well, that saves me some time. In the aftermath of the battle, Army Group B was nearly completely destroyed. The beauty of the Trident Plan was that we only risked about a third of our army. Army Group A is currently east of us, engaging a pony army near a city called Fillydelphia. Army Group C, west of us, is engaging a force of Pegasi-"

"Pardon me, sir, but what are Pegasi?"

Lieutenant Wilson looked over at Tom, and produced a picture of three different types of ponies. One had a horn, another had wings, and the last was just a normal one.

"I'm assuming you don't know what we call any of these, correct?"

"That's...right, sir."

"Ok then, the one with the horn, we call them Unicorns. They can fire beams of fire from their horns, which makes them their first choice for ranged combat. Watch out for them, they can decimate a unit quickly if left unchecked. These ponies with wings, though you may call them Banshees, are Pegasi, or Pegasus, singular. They are their scouts, messengers, and general quick strike force, so they are a rather dangerous foe. Lastly, we get to these Earth ponies, as they're called. They are the most deadly in melee combat, so fighting them requires a numerical advantage. Keep that in mind before you decide to fight them directly."

I nodded slowly, trying to process this information. Lieutenant Wilson then went back to the map. "So, as I was saying, Army Group C has been engaging a rather large force of Pegasi near a collection of stationary clouds, where the Pegasi can stand. Which leads us to Army Group B. Army Group B is but a fraction of what it was before, and in the event of a major offensive, we are well and truly screwed. Which is why there is so much emphasis on groups A and C moving, so that we don't get attacked. Every pony fighting them is one less over here."

At this point, Lieutenant Wilson switched maps, producing one of the local area, about 5 miles in every direction. "Now, as for the local force, we have ourselves of course, along with an artillery detachment from the 6th Artillery. They are about 1000 feet behind us, and they operate 24-pounder howitzers. Then, further back, is a force of cavalry. However, since they are cavalry, they will only engage the ponies in clear ground. This means that we must either withdraw towards a field, or draw the enemy into one."

I noticed the sound of our guns going off in the distance, and nearly jumped.

"Easy, Sergeant. In the coming days, we are expecting the ponies to mount an attack on our positions. This means that we hold this line, even if the ponies manage to cut us off. The artillery regiments also have orders to fire special-issue quicklime shells at captured areas. Before you ask, quicklime is a type of ordinance that burns the flesh, and eyes. It will blind an enemy after a few seconds, and burn their flesh after a minute. I don't need to tell you that this is a great weapon, but sadly the high command has decided to only use it in case of a breakthrough."

After a couple more briefings on various battlefield tactics, we were given permission to leave. I traveled back to my post, and since the sun was setting, went to sleep, lying back against the dirt wall. That night, I didn't dream, so I slept for a good 6 hours.

Comments ( 7 )

I wonder what Equestria looks like if America took over and spread the Idea of democracy and technological advances...

2334296

Isn't it the Grand Battery tactics that the colonel used by concentrating all artillery together so as to breach the enemy line?

I thought that General lee made similar attempt in the Battle of Gettysburg.

2334296
Isn’t this during the war of 1812? Frontlines weren’t even a thing then haven’t you ever played any paradox game?

Login or register to comment