• Published 31st Mar 2013
  • 2,844 Views, 36 Comments

In the Eyes of the Beholder - FangPrincess



Shining wings, glowing eyes. Is love not for the one who feeds upon it?

  • ...
1
 36
 2,844

Stories

|Chapter 6|

| ~ |

Stories

____________________________________________

The stories we tell can be quite convincing, such were the ones that Queen Emerald told her younger sister, the Princess of the Changelings. Whether or not the stories were true, Chrysalis believed her sister with all her might, her trust never failing, and her respect for the Queen even more firm.

She was told of how ponies were their own enemy, they destroyed themselves by falling into love's trap and were foolish for doing so. The only good that came of doing so was sustaining the Changeling population, but of course, nopony really knew that. They just lived in their little world, as Emerald said, concerning themselves with their own wants and desires.

Chrysalis asked what she'd looked like as a pony, just her curiousness peeking through in her young eyes. The Queen merely stated that it was not important to think of, and that a Princess of a superior species should concern herself with something other than the past. It was said with a noticeable coldness, and the Princess had thought that she might have seen a wisp of sadness from the words, and she said no more.

If her sister said that it was not of any importance, then it wasn't. But a new question came to mind; where had the sadness come from? She could easily place the coldness, as most changelings have that tone when talking of ponies. But sadness? She wanted to find out what was troubling her sister.

Maybe it was because the food supply was becoming harder and harder to restock?

It hadn't been noticeable at first, but the rate of collecting love from the ponies had been declining, slowly at first, but now considerably rapid.

And for another thing, it was getting colder.

A changeling can withstand extreme temperatures better than a pony, but even they were starting to notice that it was colder than it should be given that it was late Spring. There were light snow falls, icy roads, frosted plants, and chilling hearts.

Chrysalis saw that this was beginning to become a serious threat.

This had to be what her sister was worried about.

They had to do something! But... what?

For the first time that she could remember, the Princess of the Changeling Kingdom was afraid. Afraid for her kingdom, those living in it, her sister, and herself. But she would not ever show it, not on her own life.

She was soon called to the Queen, to speak to her sister. She was not surprised when the topic was the one of the growing cold and the disappearing love. What else could it have been?

"Sister, I fear that the cold will continue to become colder, creating an early winter," said the elder to her sister, "and I believe that this is what is causing the coming famine."

"I've been thinking that as well," Chrysalis spoke, careful to keep her words respectful; she knew this already! "What shall we do about this?" She looked to her sister, waiting for an answer, silently hoping that she had one. The Queen's face held no emotion, no sign of her expression giving way to hope or despair.

"The ponies will need to move soon," she began, the words sounding like a carefully practiced speech, each clear and confident, "The cold will only grow, for it is caused by an unnatural cause that we should not interfere with. If we wish to keep our food supply and our lives, we shall have to move the pony population away from this place,"

Now this was new to the princess. The winter was not natural? So it was not the pegasi's doing then.

"Excuse me for asking this, sister, but whatever do you mean by 'moving' the ponies?" she asked, clearly clueless as to what the older Changeling had meant.

"It will involve a complicated plan, one that will have to involve both you and I. We shall discuss it later on in a meeting that I shall call with a few other choice changelings," the answer still held an air of mystery, piking the princess's curiosity even more. She became eager to know of the plans, and felt a renewed sense of confidence. Her sister knew what to do!

"Can you tell me of Discord again, Emerald?" the question surprised even herself as the words left her mouth. Why would she ask that, given the circumstances?

The Queen only looked at Chrysalis, expression stony and cold. Her eyes closed, and with a great sigh she looked down ward at what had once been her hooves.

"Discord, my dear sister? Did you not meet him on your successful quest?"

"Yes, I did," she answered with a nod, "but the manner in which he appeared and spoke to me made me more curious." She paused a few moments, her real question coming to surface. "Why did he change you into a Changeling?"

She was met with silence as old memories were brought into the older sister's mind. Why had he done so?

"Our parents were loveless," she began, shakily at first as she searched for the right words, "and one of the things a pony craves is love. As I've told you before, it is like a curse. I strived for nothing else but our parents' love and affection, yet got none for they had none to give. That is all I concerned myself with, and the old Kingdom fell into chaos,"

Emerald looked to Chrysalis, seeing a face of wonder and surprise looking back at her. This caused a small smile to form on the Queen's face, and a short giggle to sound from her mouth.

"Yes, does it not sound silly?" she asked, smile still showing as she spoke, "But that is what it was, and chaos ensued. This soon caught the attention of Discord, the creature of which you met, and he came to me when I called for him. I explained to him my situation, and he freed me. He took away my constant desire for love, and made me a better creature,"

"Just like that?" she could not help but ask the Queen.

"Just like that."

But he'd seemed surprised that we enjoyed being changelings, and that we had grown powerful enough to create a kingdom! she thought to herself. Her sister wasn't telling her everything.

"Now go, Chrysalis. I shall call the meeting soon,"

But it would have to wait. It wasn't her top priority at the moment, however curious it may be.

Comments ( 9 )

well, I smell Windigos

please, bring this back. I liked it!

5889980

Fang left fimfiction, but she gave me permission to re-write this :)

I hope you'll read it >o<

6076452 Have you posted it?

6786009
not yet :twilightblush: i'm still occupied with a different story

6786034 Need some help or whatever?

6786068

well I'm always welcome to editors and proof readers! :twilightsmile:

6786074 got skype dionysiosbbbb

Login or register to comment