• Published 31st Mar 2013
  • 2,844 Views, 36 Comments

In the Eyes of the Beholder - FangPrincess



Shining wings, glowing eyes. Is love not for the one who feeds upon it?

  • ...
1
 36
 2,844

It Takes Two to Love

|Chapter 1|

| ~ |

It Takes Two to Love

____________________________________________

Have you ever thought that maybe love didn't exist? That is was just some feeling that people hoped to feel just once in their life? A feeling that no one had truly felt before?

When you live in a place like Equestria, your answer will more than likely be 'no'. This is a miracle to many a creature, and something that must be treasured for what it is. Not every creature has the pleasure of having many beings to love, to trust, and to hold dear. Many are surrounded by cold and unfeeling beings, unable to open up to one another.

It used to be like that for ponykind as well, you know. Have you ever heard of the Hearths Warming Eve story? That tall is a tad too long to tell now, but it shows the ponies of Equestria what they used to be. Unicorns, pegasus ponies, and earth ponies living in separate kingdoms, prejudices between the races. Love only existed in few places, and even then they were rarely genuine.

But even before that, there was a kingdom. A kingdom whose name has been lost in time, but its meaning has stayed all the same. This kingdom was ruled by a kind Queen, one the few who remember her and her land call the Queen of the Roses.

I shall simply call her Rose.

Rose was a beautiful Alicorn mare, with eyes as deep of a green as the greenest pine trees, and a mane as red as her namesake. Her fur was a simple creamy white color, one that made her eyes appear as sharp as a Roses thorn, though they were soothing all the same. Calculating, yet gentle. Searching, yet loving.

A mother's gaze.

For Queen Rose loved all her people, whether they be unicorn, pegasus, or earth pony. They were all her children, and they all loved her so.

One day, there was a regal pegasus stallion who loved Rose not as a mother, but as something... more. He loved her with such a burning passion, that he concocted up a clever type of potion, the first of its kind; a love potion.

Why did he, you ask? Simple; Rose had rejected his love. She hadn't loved any stallion before in that way, and she had believed that she never would. But instead of being heart broken, the stallion quietly left and went to work, set on tricking his one and only love.

A tuft of cloud.

A bright rainbow's glow.

The two ingredients he mixed together using a feather of his own, stirring in madness at the shred of hope that he was creating. Would she love him now? He would soon see.

Bottled and wrapped, the pegasus sent the potion as a gift to the Queen, himself serving as his messenger. They each took a sip, and that sip was their last thought as their minds slipped in to submission under lust's, not love's, iron grip.

They were inseparable, not able to work. The Queen did not rule, the pegasus did not do his job, and the land set into a churning chaos.

And neither of them cared.

This caught the attention of a young creature, chaos being his forte, and he was worried. Worried that these poor ponies would be the end of themselves. Worried that innocent creatures would be harmed. Worried that he'd be out done.

So off he went, to the castle of the 'lovers', to try and give them a sliver of reason. But they would not listen. His young eyes saw with dismay that they did not care, and that they had been consumed by selfishness. They did not love. They were not kind. They were greedy, and only wanted each other and no one else.

Anger the young creature did feel, and he left in a storming flash. He didn't want anything to do with creatures like this. If this was what love was like, he did not want any for himself.

Soon after, the couple had a single foal. She was an alicorn mare, just like her mother, beauty rivaling many others'. A name she was given, quite briefly at that. She was named Emerald, named for her eyes. Her teal mane from her father, and creamy white coat from her mother were the only things she was ever given from her parents.

Seeing the negligence of the young princess, a royal maid took much care of her, loving her as if Emerald had been her own.

But the Princess hungered for her true parents' love, wanting nothing else.

She did receive other things from her parents as she grew up; responsibilities, pressure, and a cold heart. There was no being in the whole wide world she loved, yet she wanted it so very bad. She looked for ways to obtain it, ways to make others love her, ways to be loved...

But all in all she failed.

Rose did not care, as Emerald did not care. Two alicorns, two rulers, but only one was competent enough to lead them. And she did not love the kingdom as her mother once had.

In her desperation, her kingdom was further cast into chaos, and yet she did not notice. She dealt with her ponies in a cruel way, a way in which they'd never been treated before. They pleaded for Rose to return, but she gave them no hope, no liberation, no kindness, no love...

Like a child calling for its mother, the ponies of the kingdom called for help, not caring who came to answer.

Infuriated by the Kingdom's foolishness, the chaotic creature returned once more, on request of the princess. He'd assumed that she needed his help to restore her ponies to their non-chaotic state, so he'd accepted. A chaotic kingdom not ruled by him was not something he'd needed on his conscience anyways. And he'd already decided he didn't want anything to do with these creatures.

But when he arrived, the princess asked him to make her mother and father love her like they should. She told him to give her what she deserved.

Shock followed by a seething anger slapped the creature, filled him to the top, and ran through him like fire.

"You selfish wretch!" he screamed at the mare, "I shall give you what you deserve; a life of hunger for love, feeding on its very essence. You will live until the end of your days, watching other ponies love, but you shall not feel any for yourself! You will be like a leech, sucking them dry to survive."

And with that, he punished Emerald, turning her innocent white fur into a piercing evil black. Her horn and legs were stretched out until the very material ripped in various places forming holes along her body. Her feathery wings were replaced with thin, hole filled bug-like wings, and her mane grew long and stringy.

Her transformation complete, the creature left, the poor mare's screams echoing throughout the castle.

The first changeling was made.

Not able to show herself, she left her kingdom, leaving it once again to her parents. Not being able to rule themselves, the kingdom broke into four sections;

The unicorns.

The pegasi.

The earth ponies.

And the few of the mixed race group who went to follow their princess, hoping for a better life.

Author's Note:

This is my first try at something like this, so beware :P