• Published 27th Jan 2012
  • 672 Views, 1 Comments

Of Crows and Ponies - sage7

  • ...
 1
 672

Chapter one

Am I a brony? Well I'm writing a mlp:fim fic so I guess the answer's obvious. I blame TGWTG, CR specifically for getting my interest. I do not own MLP: FIM nor do I own any merchandise. Not that much of a brony... yet. Oh also Fluttershy forever.

“What did I do to deserve this?” thought the odd looking thing. He stood taller than any pony, had a round head with no mane, a wide hat and always moved on his hind hooves. The thing moved his front hooves to his right joint and pulled out a piece straw and put it in his mouth and chewed in thought. (ok for my sanity he's a scarecrow... with Alucard ish style.)

It had been half a year or so when he had woken up to see a white alicorn with a rainbow tail over him. “That you Sol?” he sat up slowly sucking in the fallen straw around himself. “My head. How long has it been since my self imposed exile began?”

“About one hundred years old friend. How much do you remember?” replied Celestria with a small smile.

He looked around his dark cell for a moment. “Defeating DisQord, the final 'fight' where he sent a surge towards Luna. The last thing I remember is you asking me how to stop a pony as strong as the two of you. After that... mostly blanks. Hundred years huh? Heh, so how ya been? And where's little Lu?”

“Good, good. I've taken a student. She shows great potential. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to teach her.” said Celestia.

“Which I assume is the reason you've woke me.” he dusted himself off and stood. “Might be interesting. Was getting bored. Crows and ravens are good conversationalists but I don't mind talking with you lot either so long as you aren't eating my insides.”

“That only happened twice...” Celestia pouted slightly before smiling. “Oh, where are my manners. Twilight Sparkle come in please. I have an old friend I’d like you to meet.”

After two small eeps the door opened showing a purple unicorn and a green and purple dragon riding on her back. “And what to my lair but a special young mare. Bonjour miss Sparkle and comrade.” the thing said with a bow.

“What's your name and what are you?” asked the dragon.

“Spike!”

“Curious lad perhaps quite rad. My name is Crow Scare. Or if you prefer Eracs Worc. But for short Crow if you please. And you, draky ewe?”

“Spike. Why do you talk funny?”

“Entertainment mostly. Spend enough time in one room, you tend to get bored.” Crow shrugged and took a bit of straw from the juncture of his arm and put it in his mouth.

“A golem made of hay?” asked Twilight.

“A relic made of hay actually. Had I a creator I never knew him or her, better off maybe else I'd be but a bur.”

Twilight blinked in confusion before backing slowly away. “Well, you two probably want to catch up so I'll just be in the library.” as she sped off, Spike flailed around trying to keep his balance.

“I see what you mean about potential. Though how you want me to help is rather obscure. Mayhap you have a cure?” asked Crow

“I know you've never understood unicorn magic but I need you to make sure she doesn't do anything that endangers herself or others.” responded Celestia nervously hoofing the ground.

Crow put his hand on her shoulder “Ease your fear ease your hate these eyes are more than pretty paint.” a tiny whirlwind formed in his free hand. “Your magic and mine go hand and hand. Cutie marks on the other I do not understand.”


For Six months he was the librarian and somewhat mentor for Twilight. Friendly if not friends. However as he stood now he had a date with the royal court filled with nobles. Nowhere near the level of the Galas, thankfully.

He sighed and opened the door catching the sight of everyone inside. Nobles to the left, Ambassadors who were nobles but the kind who weren't afraid to work to the right and Celestia in the middle next to an empty throne. He swore he saw one colt in the back with spiral glasses and a white lab coat but paid him no mind.

“You called me here for a reason Sol. Might I inquire as to the mission?” the nobles gasped at the indignation while Celestia's great something nephew gave him a camaraderie nod of respect.

“The longest day of the year is upon us. I need you to go with my student to make sure the preparations are coming along.” spoke Celestia with a smile.

“Surprises abound: and if the unexpected is found?” Crow asked, dusting his shoulder.

“Do what you feel necessary.”

“Princess! You can't trust this abomination! He'll turn on us. Don't let his evil arts confound you!.” one pudgy stallion shouted.

The air picked up and blew around the room with a scream. “Noble you forget your place. You who barely show your face. My loyalty is true. Can the same be said of you?” the silence was broken by barely perceivable clapping.

“No? Didn't think so. Forget cutie marks, what you see in these who call themselves noble but aren’t, that is something I will never understand.” he bowed to Celestia and turned on his heel and exited the room.

No one noticed the mad scientist cackle quietly to himself. Granted he did that often a day so it was common place.

As Crow walked, he thought. It was a hobby of his and it had served him well at times. Sometimes it was minimal things like, “Did I leave the oven on? Did Spike ever get indigestion? How does the letter get anywhere anyway?”

Other times it was deep questions he asked himself, or random passerby whichever really. “Where did I come from? Why am I here? How does Spike's fire work? Why am I able to create and direct the wind? Why do I enjoy chewing myself?”

Today it was the latter. 'Why does Sol change the subject whenever Lu is brought up? I doubt she died during my sleep. Unless she chose a successor. But then if that were true then Sol wouldn't raise the moon herself. And why do I feel apprehension and joy for the upcoming ceremony? If it were one or the other that would make sense.

Being filled with appetizer and surrounded by ponies is cause for apprehension, right? I know how pinatas feel, though that doesn't stop me from smashing the blasted things. I guess its a good thing I'm one of a kind then.

What was I thinking again? Ah, yes. Joy. Well, I am getting out of Canterlot. Been who knows how long since I’ve seen the rest of the world. And being away from the nobles would be joyful for me. I even get to take my favorite, if only, student and her assistant. And who knows, maybe get her to make friends. Or at least a pen pal. That pony's going to become an old bitter librarian at this rate. An old bitter full to the brim with power librarian, but still...'

He stopped and saw he was outside the library, the most likely place to find his horned student and her assistant when he noticed a painting to his right. It showed five remarkable mares and three fillies. One mare in particular had a pink mane and tail shaped oddly like cotton candy. The mare waved at him and the portrait disappeared.

After waving back he took out a bit of straw and looked at it. “Tree mother of log, what in the world have I been stuffing myself with?”.

He opened the door to his sanctuary in Canterlot. Walls covered with books, his desk off in a corner that was starting to gather dust, and Spike practicing his fire manipulation. Yeah, the drake wasn't exactly happy about the extra work but found it to be relaxing at times. Spike was able to make his normal fire into shapes now. But was still a ways from mastery.

“Yo. Not too shabby no wrinkles. Out of curiosity, you seen Sprinkles?”

Spike smirked and formed words with his flames. 'nah, she went outside to read. Haven't seen her for about half an hour.'

Crow nodded and made a checklist. “Books, check. Lesson plans, check. Missive from Sol so we can stay in the library as long as we may need... Yup that seems about it.”

Spike tilted his head before juggling his flame in balls. Through the door burst Twilight, saddle bags filled with books. She breathed slightly heavy but not as much as she would have a year ago.

“Spike! Help me look for a book on the Elements of Harmony.” She panted out while beginning her search, barely noticing Crow.

“A book on the what now?” Spike wondered while he looked.

“My my. Little Sprinkles, this is curious. Why look for something o so serious?” questioned Crow.

“Because if my theory is correct, then Nightmare Moon will be free from her thousand year prison.” Answered Twilight, seemingly looking through the right book.

“Who?” asked Crow tilting his head. Sometimes not having eyebrows was a burden.

“Nightmare Moon? The one responsible for bad dreams? Powerful ruler of the night? The one Princess Celestia banished one thousand years ago?”

“Not ringing any bells sorry. Besides the ruler of the night is...”

“Spike take a note: Dear Princess Celestia. It has come to my attention that we are on the precipice of disaster.”

“Preci... pre... huh?”

“We're about to be in trouble.”

“Gotcha.”

“My theories and studies for the last month have resulted in my theory that the longest day of the thousandth year is upon us. And that we should take precautions. Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.”

Spike finished jotting down the note and opened the window before breathing a green fire. Sending it on its way. Almost immediately he belched out a letter. “That was quick.”

'Too quick. What are you planning, Sol?'

Comments ( 1 )

All comments welcome. Critique, reviews, suggestions, outright flames, the occasional troll no more than three at a time please. i do this for fun and you won't get under my skin or make me mad. oh also, First:pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment