• Published 5th Feb 2013
  • 959 Views, 18 Comments

Showing Your True Colors - Nyan_Cat



Do Alicorns always possess wings and horns? Or are they born 'normal', like the others? Are they really normal, anyways?

  • ...
0
 18
 959

Chapter 1 - Lightweight

Celestia grimaced against the harsh wind blowing snow against her face. Part of her wished she was back at home with Luna, Cadence, and mother, but she sighed and continued her trek. Hearths Warming Eve. Luna's favorite time of the year, next to the Winter Solstice. Cadence preferred Hearts and Hooves Day. Many ponies did, actually. Cadence had a passion for it, though.

The wind teased the filly's light pink mane into knots, falling against her sides. Celestia didn't pack a hairbrush with her, though, so there wasn't much she could do. Unicorns seemed to have the upper hoof in that sort of aspect. Celestia, however, was just an earth pony. She remembered laying on her bed at night, where she would dream about soaring through the sky with the birds, like a pegasus, or being able to stay in one place and get something to read, rather than not having to wish for your book to somehow come over to you from across the room.

Celestia wondered how Luna was doing. Usually when the earth pony family went on trips, it was together. But now, it was only Celestia and Mr. Squiggles. A light smile came to her face, and Celestia reached into her saddle bags and brought out a little doll. It was based off of a phoenix, the flaming birds of legend. This one, however, was bought only five days ago, as a parting gift from her mother.

Celestia gripped Squig in her mouth, and continued walking. Why had mother sent her on this trip? And where was she going to go? Her first priority, however, was finding a place to sleep for the night. She knew the tent she packed wasn't going to cover much and keep her very safe. Squig couldn't even do that. A heavy gust of air hit Celestia, and she groaned as a heap of wet snow hit her in the muzzle. It was going to be a long trip.

A flash of light in the distance caught Celestia's attention. It wasn't white, or something normal, but blue, like the ocean, or the sky. Celestia did a sneeze around Squig, and began stumbling towards the light. It was an odd thing to see, especially out in a storm like this.

Shorty, she began to see the silhouettes of trees somewhat far away. It looked like a whole forest was out there. Celestia recognized it as Palomino Pines, an old park that her family would camp in for a month every year.

"Who's there?"

Celestia jumped at the startling voice, and whipped her head around, trying to find the speaker. She looked to her left and saw an older mare with a light brown coat and mane that was two colors, dark brown in the middle and light on the sides. She recognized the mare as a unicorn. The unicorn had a light blue bubble surrounding her, which explained her lack of shivering and snow on her coat.

"Well, are you going to answer me, dear? What are you doing out in this dreadful storm?" the unicorn asked, then undid her bubble for a moment. "Come here, it's no good to be cold like that."

Celestia gingerly stepped forward so she was standing directly beside the mare. The unicorn created her bubble again, and Celestia immediately felt warmer. This was obviously a skilled and practiced unicorn; she had to act the same way.

"Come, young filly. Let's get back to my cottage, and you can tell me what you're doing," the mare said with a wink. "By the way, my name is Looking Glass. What's your name?"

"Celestia..." the filly responded, feeling suddenly shy. She realized she had dropped Squig and put him away in her bag. Oh, stop, Celestia. You aren't going to get anywhere acting like that, she told herself. "Yes, my name is Celestia," she said, smiling up at the aged pony.

"Celestia, hm? That's a good name. Fitting for a pony with such bright mane like yours," Looking Glass remarked. "Well, let's get going. Stay inside, don't venture out."

And with that, the odd pair trudged through the snow towards the forest.

----------

Celestia sat upon the old oaken floor in front of an equally-as-aged table, silently sipping a cup of peppermint tea. The kind unicorn even offered to make her something to eat, but she refused, saying she had something to eat in her pack. The truth was, she didn't, but she didn't want to make the mare have to do any more work for her. She had done enough already.

"So, little Celestia," Looking Glass said. She sat across the table from the filly. "Why don't you tell me what you were doing out in that storm?"

"Well, Missus Looking Glass-"

"Oh dear, please do just call me 'Lou'. There's no reason to say all that," Looking Glass said with a chuckle and a grin.

Celestia returned the smile. 'Lou' here was a very nice mare... she was glad that they found each other. "Well, Lou, I was um... adventuring, I guess."

"Adventuring? For what purpose?"

"My mom sent me out to find something. It was called the... uh... Holey Evict?"

"I think you mean 'Holy Edict'. That's strange. I wonder why she sent just a filly out to get it. Do you know what she needs it for, Celestia?"

"Well, no... Not really. And you can call me Celly, by the way." Celestia smiled.

And so the conversation continued between the two mares until little Celestia got tired. Lou then took the small filly up to her room and laid her on the bed, telling her that she could sleep there for the night. Lou settled for sleeping down on a couch on the lower level of the house. Thus, the two slept soundly until morning.

Author's Note:

I hope I did okay on this... Adventure stories are new for me.

Anyways, tell me how I did? :D

Comments ( 18 )

Strawberry Pancake, I'm coming for you!

2080432
I uh... uh... what? :rainbowderp: You're so random, dude. :derpytongue2:

So the Gods had to go on a certain quest to obtain their godhoods? THAT's AWESOME!!! Can you do one for each God/Goddess, Celestia, Luna, Discord and Cadence? I love this idea, very well thought of my friend:ajsmug:

2080480
YOU THERE. STOP LOOKING IN MY BRAIN. I was already thinking that stuff. They were all going to go on adventures. :rainbowlaugh:

ANYways, thanks! :yay:

2080502 NEVER!!!!!!!:derpytongue2:

And never a problem, hope you like my own stories if you ever have a chance to look them over:twilightsmile:

Celesita born an Earth Pony? Well you got my attention, I look forward to seeing where you got with this

2080553
The idea just popped in my head randomly the other day. But anyways, glad to have some other people watching this. :trollestia:

2080544
I suppose I'll have to do that. :pinkiehappy: Some of them look really interesting!

2080710
Nothing wrong with that, I'm always interested in seeing how others think the Sisters ascended. Plus it is not all that often we see Celestia as a Earth Pony.

2080710 :rainbowlaugh: You don't have to but it would mean a lot to a fellow author friend like me:twilightsmile: And I'm honestly hoping you'll like them, some are a bit dark but I can't do rainbow and sunshine, not my area of writing:facehoof: And thank you very much for the Watch:yay:

I gotta say, the premise is very interesting to me. I like it a lot.

I didn't see any obvious flaws with spelling or grammar, either. It was pretty well-written, so congrats on that part.

There were 2 things I wasn't a fan of. The first was the beginning. The way the chapter started, it felt like a continuing chapter, not the beginning of a story. At least, that's how I felt about it. You just need a better opening "hook" to grab a reader's attention better. The second thing was the last paragraph. I feel a little more could have been done. You know, "show, don't tell." Not necessarily the conversation, but the ending part, where Celly is tired, and Lou takes her to bed. Always better to see the interaction, than to be told it happened.

But besides those 2 things, it was a good starting to this story of yours. Keep up the good work! :pinkiehappy:

btw, told you I'd provide feedback.

Is this your first story ever? if so, bravo! well, bravo anyway but that's not the point. well written, interesting premise, i'd like to see what you can do with this! best of luck!:heart::pinkiehappy::heart:

I heard the call and went in to take a look. The idea is nice to have the 2 Regal Sisters, plus Cadence as a sister as well, as not only regular ponies, but as Earth Ponies. The idea sounds intriguing to say the least, liked the idea that you gave a doll to Celestia that's shaped as a phoenix, quite the foreshadowing of her upcoming indeed. I'll be looking forward to see the information about 'Holy Edict'.

Besides the introduction and ending of the prologue, the chapter is pretty nice, nice job Nyan_Cat:pinkiesmile:

First pass: really well done, especially in the middle.

*Looks at date* 9 weeks, huh? any plans to continue this?

2437090
Dear Celestia, it's been 9 weeks since an update? :pinkiegasp:

Jeez.

I, uh... guess I need to hurry up on that. :twilightoops:

Pretty short so far, obviously, but not a bad start.

My one quibble is that Cadence isn't meant to be Luna and Celestia's sister. The scenes of Twilight's childhood memories together show that Cadence really isn't very old, probably the same age as Shining Armor.

Login or register to comment