• Published 30th Jan 2013
  • 18,223 Views, 331 Comments

Second at Best - Wages of Sin



At her father's funeral Twilight snaps, finally showing how she feels about her so-called family and friends.

  • ...
66
 331
 18,223

Revelations IV

Most of the present guard was thrown against the walls, a lucky few were tossed right back out the door they tried to enter, but even those who were able to stay on their feet quickly realized that their interaction would be more of a liability than an aid in the fight that had just erupted.

The petitioner had seemed on edge through most of the hearing, not an unusual reaction to being in the presence of the monarch, but this individual put every pony in the room on edge, and apparently with good reason.

The explosion in the throne room was accompanied by the petitioner's disguise burning away to reveal a white coat, blazing white eyes, and a fiery mane and tail.

The petitioner's change was instantaneous and all encompassing, but what truly made the guard decide to retreat was their monarch's transformation. Not as flashy or dramatic, Celestia's transformation was no less terrifying.

The Solar Alicorn stood up as the remaining guard looked on in horror. Her always positive expression was replaced by anger. The mask the princess wore for hundreds of years at a time was removed, and the guards that witnessed this once in a lifetime event wished they hadn't.

"Whoever you are, leave now. You are not welcome in the palace." the tone of the monarch's words left no room for misinterpretation. She was not requesting; she was demanding.

"Not until I have some answers!" the fiery mare screeched.

"You do not require nor deserve any answers, my word is law." Celestia rose into the air as she charged her horn with energy to the point electricity arced around it and the smell of ozone to fill the room.

A deep light began to surround the fiery mare's horn in turn.

Celestia loosed her spell at the same time as her opponent, but no shot came at her in return, instead the mare had summoned a scroll.

The realization struck her too late, as the magic impacted the vulnerable mare, knocking her hard enough to be sent right through the massive wooden throne room doors.

As Celestia attempted to fly over to the fallen mare, but another entered the room through one of the smashed windows and beat her to the struck mare.

It was Luna.

"The eruption woke me up. I came to see-" she spotted the fallen unicorn and the marks of Celestia's blow "What... You'd really... I..."

The dark alicorn looked to her sister, shock and pain in her features. She landed in between Twilight and Celestia.

The ivory alicorn, shocked by the revelation of the mare's identity, continued toward her student but was stopped by Luna's flared wings.

"Sister, what are you doing? Allow me to my student. "

"You would so quickly turn on even your student? I can't believe..."

"She was- I thought she was attacking me!" Celestia replied, recoiling from the accusation, "What would you have me do!" the words seemed fine in theory, but when spoken they were hollow.

"Yes sister, I would expect you to hear your student out!"

"She was disguised!"

"I could detect Twilight's aura from my room in the tower! Are you saying you couldn't tell this was your student!"

"She- She is obviously under a spell! Can't you see? There is dark magic and anger tinting her magic, that is why..." Celestia asked. She looked down at her student amongst the remains of the doors.

"Under a spell you say?" Luna asked.

"Of course! Why else would Twilight act this way!"

"Sister, before they left the castle, Twilight's friends expressed their concern about Twilight, they feared for her, but since you told them not to worry, they left it to you. Even though I bore a personal desire to help one whom I would call a friend, I left it to you and went to sleep. As I slept though, a dream of great urgency called upon me. ...But before I get to that, let me tell you a story:

"Upon my return from my banishment on the moon I was greatly saddened by your distance from me. You no longer looked at me the same way you used to, instead you looked to Twilight with the smile you once gave only to me.

"For a long while I was jealous, for I could see that you now shared a very special bond with your student. It looked like the bond we once shared all those many years ago. She was a capable mare, advanced beyond all compare in the ways of magic, and with power rival to our own.

"I was jealous, I thought Twilight had replaced me in your heart... I was so jealous... Until now that I see the truth...

"Your relationship with her is just like our relationship; she became the one that fought impossible odds saving Equestria while you sat on your flank. She became the one that worked so hard, and yet you got all the praise for. She became the one who felt so alone, so unappreciated while you continued to bask in the glory for accomplishments that were rightfully hers!

"She is the one who began to feel the disparity of the relationship, the same unhappiness I felt so long ago.

"When I entered her dream I saw and felt the same feelings I felt in my first days as Nightmare Moon, an overwhelming feeling of worthlessness and apathy towards life. She felt the same emotions that had caused me to fight you. I thought she would come to make up with you... But now I see how far this had progressed without my knowledge...

"In her dream I saw you brushing off her concerns and abandoning her to suffer alone... I thought she was just being unnecessarily worried. Now I realize that what I saw was not her pessimistic view of what might be, but her tormented memories of what already was! You abandoned her!

"I thought you regretted what you had done to me, but now I see you have learned nothing!"

Celestia recoiled.

"She came to you in her darkest hour, and once again you ignored the pleas of those closest to you!

"She did not replace me, SHE BECAME ME!

"History has repeated itself and you have not changed at all!"

"I- I-" the elder sister struggled for words.

"Save your excuses. Your hollow words only make our suffering worse." Luna glanced to the downed mare. "I pray for your sake, sister, that she doesn't follow my path, but I fear it may already be too late."

Luna touched a hoof to the body of the downed mare and teleported leaving Celestia alone in the ransacked throne room.

Celestia shook violently, to shocked to even move from her position. As she stood the scroll her student had teleported in caught her eye.

Author's Note:

"MOAR!" finally! Sorry about the crazy long wait, but life is crazy and I've barely had time to write recently. More so, it doesn't help that I got in way over my head with my other stories, both published and unpublished. It's been little over a month since I've updated this story, and I apologize profusely. I will try my best to keep this updating as frequently as "Canine Complications" and "Just an Everyday Princess" (that's about bi-weekly for those who do not follow those. (Which if don't you should check out here and here respectively.))

Anyway, just to get a feel for the audience: what do you think should happen next? Post speculation, ideas, and suggestions in the comments!