• Published 13th Feb 2013
  • 1,356 Views, 69 Comments

Pride and Prejudice and Ponies - arglefumph



Rarity reads her favorite romance novel, Pride and Prejudice, to her little sister Sweetie Belle.

  • ...
2
 69
 1,356

Chapter 25

Rarity was most astonished. Lady Chrysalis, it appeared, had traveled by carriage all the way to Ponyville, for the sole purpose of ending Rarity's supposed engagement with Mr. Darcy.

Rarity could not determine where the rumors of such an engagement had come from. True, she had kissed Mr. Darcy, but that was just to thank him. Perhaps the rumors arose because Darcy was the intimate friend of Big Macintosh, and the fact that Rarity was Fluttershy's sister was enough to supply the idea. After all, the expectation of one wedding made everypony eager for another.

In all the excitement of the engagement, Rarity had forgotten that the marriage of her sister would being her more frequently in contact with Mr. Darcy. She was unsure how to feel about this fact. While the situation between herself and Mr. Darcy had been mended, Rarity had to admit she was partial to the idea of not seeing him again, until Twilight's wedding. That would give her enough time to sort out her feelings for the stallion whom she previously hated.

As it turned out, Mr. Bennet had been gone that morning, on a trip to Sofas and Quills, which remained one of Ponyville's most popular stores, even though it only sells two things. He returned home with a letter in his hoof, an upholstered quill in his pack, and a smile on his face. "Rarity," said he. "I was going to look for you. Please, come with me to my study."

Rarity followed him there, and her curiosity to know what he had to tell her was heightened by the possibility of its being connected with the letter he held. Or could it have something to do with the unhappy visit of Lady Chrysalis? The two of them sat down and he began to speak.

"Today is a very happy day indeed. I knew that Fluttershy was engaged to Big Macintosh, but I did not know that I had a second daughter on the brink of matrimony. Let me congratulate you on a very important conquest."

"You...you have heard the rumors?" Rarity asked. The color now rushed into her cheeks in the instantaneous conviction that the letter had been from the nephew instead of the aunt. Rarity was undetermined whether to be pleased or offended that Mr. Darcy's letter was addressed to her father, not herself.

"So, you do not deny it outright!" Mr. Bennet said. "That shall make this all the more entertaining, for I intend to determine the identity of your admirer. Spike did not mention the lucky stallion by name."

"Spike?"

"He wrote me this letter. He begins with congratulations on the approaching nuptials of my eldest daughter. No doubt, he heard about it through Lady Luna or one of her acquaintances. He continues, 'now let me add a short hint on the subject of another happy event. Your daughter Rarity, it is presumed, will not long bear the name of Bennet after her elder sister has resigned it. I am told that a young gentlecolt is pursuing her with great effort, and he is blessed with everything the heart can desire: splendid property, noble kindred, and extensive patronage. Yet in spite of all these advantages, I feel it is my duty to warn you and Rarity of what evils you may incur by accepting his proposals too quickly. You see, I have reason to imagine that Lady Chrysalis de Bourgh does not look on the match with a friendly eye.'"

"I...I see," Rarity said. "So that is what ponies are saying."

"Shall I continue, or can I guess who it is now?"

"It must be Mr. Darcy," Rarity said.

"Splendid!" Mr. Bennet said. "So the two of you have mended your relationship, after that brief lovers' spat, have you? Darcy shall make a most excellent son-in-law. I congratulate you most heartily, Rarity!"

"Th-this is not humorous, Father!" Rarity said. "I recently had an unpleasant encounter with a pony who believed these false rumors were true."

"Doubtlessly, you refer to your mother," Mr. Bennet said. "I wonder how she will react, if I tell her that you made a secret trip to visit Darcy at Pemberly."

"H-how did you know?"

"After the incident with Pinkie Pie, I have made it my business to ensure that none of my daughters leaves town without my knowledge," said he impressively. In truth, it had been told to him by Mr. Macintosh, when he asked the father for permission to propose to Fluttershy. "What happened during your visit, to prompt rumors of engagement?"

"I merely thanked him for buying us the tickets to Ponyville, and for his role in Blueblood's arrest."

"Ah, so he was responsible for that? I thought it odd, at first, that Big Macintosh should be the hero of such legal drama."

"I also apologized for misjudging him, and I showed him a sign of my affection," Rarity said. "That is all. Nothing which could be misconstrued as a proposal."

"I see. What sort of affection did you display?"

"...I kissed him."

Mr. Bennet fell out of his chair, pretending to faint.

"On the cheek!" Rarity quickly said.

"Break out the champagne bottles!" Mr. Bennet cried. "My little baby's getting married! Soon there will be tiny white unicorns running around!"

"It's not funny!" Rarity said. "Did you know Lady Chrysalis came to visit this morning?"

"Lady—what? That crusty old bug?"

"She heard the rumors about her nephew proposing to me, and she was furious! She ordered me not to see him again, and—Father, stop laughing! I told you that it's not funny!"

"This is the best thing I've heard in weeks!" Mr. Bennet laughed. "She—ha ha ha—Mr. Darcy—ha ha! When is the wedding date?"

Rarity frowned deeply. Even when Spike was in Canterlot, he was causing problems for her.

"I expect—ha ha—your mother will—*ahem*—" Mr. Bennet cleared his throat and put on his "serious father" face. "In all honesty, how do you feel about Mr. Darcy? I highly doubt you would travel all the way to Pemberly just to visit a casual acquaintance."

"I...my dealings with him have been...complicated. I welcome the opportunity for us to have a fresh start with each other. However, I have no delusions about the difficulties of being romantically involved with him. We live in completely different towns."

"You are being very sensible," Mr. Bennet said. "And I cannot deny that Mr. Darcy is a much better suitor for you than either Spike or Blueblood. Should you choose to pursue him, I shall not interfere. Your mother, on the other hoof..."