• Published 13th Feb 2013
  • 1,356 Views, 69 Comments

Pride and Prejudice and Ponies - arglefumph



Rarity reads her favorite romance novel, Pride and Prejudice, to her little sister Sweetie Belle.

  • ...
2
 69
 1,356

Chapter 26

Since both Spike and Lady Chrysalis had heard and believed rumors of the engagement, it could hardly be expected otherwise that Darcy himself should arrive before many days had passed. As his aunt did before, he invited Rarity to walk with him, so they might talk in private.

Rarity's family watched in confusion as the two ponies left with each other. "What possible business could he have with Rarity?" Mrs. Bennet asked. "I thought he was incredibly rude to her."

"He probably wants to talk about their upcoming wedding," Mr. Bennet commented. "According to Spike, Darcy plans on proposing to her."

"WHAT?" Mrs. Bennet, of course.

"Daddy's just joking," Sweetie Belle said. "Mr. Darcy's not gonna propose again, 'cause Rarity yelled at him the last time he did."

"Really? Great. Now I'm the only one who hasn't been proposed to yet," Rainbow Dash complained.

"What happened in Canterlot?" Mrs. Bennet screeched.


"What brings you all the way to Ponyville, Mr. Darcy?" Rarity asked.

"I came to congratulate my friend, Big Macintosh, on his recent engagement. Since I was in the neighborhood, I thought it would be advantageous to visit your family and offer them my congratulations as well."

"I see," Rarity said. "And I suppose your aunt had nothing to do with your visit?"

"Lady Chrysalis...does not know I am here," Darcy confessed. "But I had a most illuminating conversation with her recently, which, in part, helped prompt my visit. She says that she came here to speak with you the other day."

"That she did."

"There is no delicate way to put this. I heard that you outright refused to respect her and follow her demands to avoid me."

"Of course I did not," Rarity said. "I am not going to let some complete stranger order my affairs, just because she happens to be a Lady."

"And that is why I admire you, Miss Rarity. Like myself, you are strong-willed and unhesitant to speak your mind. It is a refreshing change from the women I encounter in Canterlot, who see me as little more than a talking wallet, to be appeased and gratified for the sake of a possible match."

"Such as your cousin Trixie, no doubt."

"The less said about my aunt's designs for Trixie, the better. More to the point, I understand that Lady Chrysalis asked if you would ever accept a marriage proposal from myself, and you...did not answer in the negative."

"I...yes, well...I said that if you ever decided to court me, I would decide for myself how favorably I should accept it."

"This has taught me to hope, as I had scarcely ever allowed myself to hope before," said he. "I know enough of your disposition to be certain that, if you are absolutely, irrevocably decided against me, you would have acknowledged it to Lady Chyrsalis frankly and openly."

Rarity colored. "After I abused you so abominably to your face, you mean to say, I should have no scruple in abusing you to your relations."

Mr. Darcy shook his head, unwilling to blame her for the disastrous events at Rosings. "What did you say of me, that I did not deserve? For, though your accusations were ill-founded, formed on mistaken premises, my behavior towards you at the time had merited the severest reproof. It was unpardonable. I cannot think of it without abhorrence."

"I disagree, but we will not argue over who deserves the greater share of blame for that evening," Rarity said. "The conduct of neither, if strictly examined, will be irreproachable."

"You taught me a great lesson that evening," Mr. Darcy said. "I have heard ponies speak of me as selfish and overbearing, but by you, I was properly humbled. I could see how insufficient all my pretensions were, and my pride was duly deflated."

"I cannot agree, either with your assessment of myself as virtue's helper, or yourself as virtue's helped," Rarity said. "I think the truth is that you have always been a good pony, but you prefer to hide it from the world at large, as you have done recently through anonymous acts."

"I firmly disagree, Miss Bennet. I was raised to be like my family members, spoiled by fortune and favor, unable to control their tempers or to have concern for others outside of their social circles. You have shown me the error of my ways, and I am a much better pony for it. I cannot thank you enough."

"Your...you are too kind."

"As I believe I said earlier, I cannot ignore the promptings of my heart. I honestly and earnestly admire you," Mr. Darcy said. "Though it may be foolish, I must ask you again. Will you do me the honor of allowing me to court you?"

"Oh, Mr. Darcy!"

"Yes, Rarity?"

Rarity gazed into his eyes as their heads moved closer together. "You have something in your teeth," said she.

"Oh, COME ON!" a voice from the bushes shouted.

"MAKE OUT ALREADY!" another voice shouted.

"I knew it!" Rarity said furiously, turning on her sisters. "Sweetie Belle! Pinkie! Stop spying on me!"

Mr. Darcy paled, as Rarity chased her sisters away. "Is it too late to rescind my offer?" he asked.

"Yes. Now, come. If you're going to court me, you have to do it proper," Rarity smiled, "which means being introduced to my parents first."

Mr. Darcy gulped, but steeled himself in the knowledge that if Big Macintosh could do it, he could too.


To his credit, Mr. Bennet was able to maintain an attitude of seriousness during the entire meeting with Mr. Darcy. He broke out into fits of laughter afterwards, along with Pinkie Pie. Rarity angrily informed Pinkie Pie to show more respect to the stallion who had saved her from a lifetime of unhappiness with Mr. Blueblood Wickham.

Fluttershy was the most supportive of Rarity's pursuit of Mr. Darcy, as she was too kind to believe that he had ever done anything bad. Big Macintosh took all the credit for introducing the happy couple, and he dropped hints that a double wedding would be appreciated. The Apple sisters were mostly indifferent to the match, besides for saying "I told you her liked her".

Rainbow Dash did not particularly approve of Mr. Darcy, as she still thought he was prejudiced against non-unicorns. She went into a minor depression in the following month, which did not end until the yearly May Day celebration, where she caught the attention of all the town's stallions by being crowned May Queen.

Pinkie Pie felt that the incident with Blueblood was partially her fault, and she pledged to be more mature in the future. "Now I'm an adult, so I gotta act like it!" was her new motto. As proof of her new desires, she got a job as a secretary at City Hall. She wanted to quit within three days, but she stuck with the job.

Sweetie Belle eventually got her cutie mark in not bothering her old sister with pointless distractions while she was busy with work. That is a very good cutie mark to have, and all young fillies who hear this story should aspire to getting one of their own.

Mrs. Bennet quickly went from Mr. Darcy's harshest critic to one of his most ardent supporters. She insisted on cooking a humongous meal, made with all of Mr. Darcy's favorites, as an attempt to make sure he would never be too far distant. After Darcy went to the hospital with food poisoning, Mrs. Bennet wisely decided to take a less active role in the relationship.

Lady Chrysalis and Trixie were furious when they learned what Mr. Darcy had done, and they refused to talk to him ever again. Mr. Darcy seemed a bit sad about this, for the sake of his younger sister, but he told Rarity in confidence that he was much pleased that he did not have to hear his relatives' voices again. Colonel Fancy said he had no objections whatsoever, though he did find family gatherings a tad awkward afterwards.

Twilight and Spike (mostly Twilight) were happy for the new couple. She was especially pleased, when Mr. Darcy chose their wedding to be the place where he proposed to Rarity. Rarity accepted to the applause of the entire party, and everypony was greatly amused afterwards, when Rarity caught the bouquet.

As for Rarity and Mr. Darcy, what more needs to be said? It should be quite obvious to the readers that the two of them lived comfortably and contentedly in wedded bliss for the rest of their lives. Given their respective personalities, it was impossible for them to avoid the many arguments which arose over the years, but never did they have a fight so great as to intrude on their happiness. As Rarity remarked to her sisters, their lives would be boring without the occasional disagreement.

The End