• Published 13th Feb 2013
  • 1,362 Views, 69 Comments

Pride and Prejudice and Ponies - arglefumph



Rarity reads her favorite romance novel, Pride and Prejudice, to her little sister Sweetie Belle.

  • ...
2
 69
 1,362

Chapter 14

The envelope contained a sheet of elegant, little, hot-pressed paper, covered with Big Macintosh's large handwriting. Mr. Bennet read it aloud, although he did omit a sentence or two which contained elements of a private nature between Big Mac and Fluttershy.

"Urgent business summoned me back home, and there is a high probability this means I am leaving Ponyville forever," Mr. Bennet read. "The family's business at Sweet Apple Acres is finished, and the earliest we can possibly return is late spring. I am sorry I won't see you again before the train leaves, but it really cannot be helped. Know that I will always think fondly of our time together in Ponyville."

"I'll never see him again!" Fluttershy wailed.

"How could they have moved away so quickly? We saw them at Netherfield last night!" Pinkie Pie asked.

"I'll see if I can track them down," Rainbow Dash said. She flew away at top speed, heading for the train station.

"The only stallion who every liked me is gone!" Fluttershy cried.

"This is the greatest tragedy of modern times!" Mrs. Bennet cried, hugging her daughter and sobbing with equal fervor.

"Hopefully they took Mr. Darcy with them..." Rarity muttered.

Fluttershy was inconsolable, and no pony could blame her for it. Even Rarity, who was not prone to fits of matchmaking like her mother, had to agree that Fluttershy and Big Macintosh were an excellent pair, whose calm demeanor, modesty and love of animals had brought them closer together. These past few weeks were the happiest the eldest daughter had ever been.

Any normal pony would be gravely offended by what happened, and her affection would soon be poisoned into the opposite. But Fluttershy's legendary kindness soon arose, and she found that she could not hate Big Macintosh for what happened.

"He told me he'll love me forever..." she said. "Maybe it's just a misunderstanding..."

"Maybe he was replaced by a changeling!" Sweetie Belle said.

"Or he got a head injury and now he thinks everything backwardsly!" Pinkie Pie said. "Or maybe his sister Applejack teamed up with Mr. Darcy to ruin your relationship, because they don't like you very much!"

"Nonsense. You said things were getting better with Applejack, right?" Mrs. Bennet asked.

"I...I think she likes me," Fluttershy said. "She can be kind of rough but...that's just what makes her unique."

"I highly doubt that Mr. Macintosh is being bossed around by his little sister," Mr. Bennet said. "In any case, I believe the next step is clear. You must write back to him and politely request a fuller explanation."

"Polite, nothing! You DEMAND an explanation!" Mrs. Bennet yelled. "Tell him if he doesn't have A GOOD REASON for abandoning you, I'm marching write over there and tattooing the words 'UNTRUSTWORTHY STALLION: ALL MARES STAY AWAY' on his forehead!"

"That might be a bit too much," Mr. Bennet said.

"Um...um..." Fluttershy moaned.

"What's wrong?" Rarity asked.

"Icasendressho," Fluttershy mumbled.

"What was that?"

"I can't send him a letter, because I...I don't know his new address..." Fluttershy said.

"...That's not good," Mr. Bennet said.


Rainbow Dash returned, with the news that Sweet Apple Acres was completely emptied out, and some renters were poised to move it. Mr. Bennet and Rainbow Dash went to speak with these ponies, in hopes of learning the new address of the Bingleys.

The momentous events of the day were not over yet, however. No less than three hours later, there was a loud slamming against the front door. "RARITY! RARITY! RARITY! OPEN UP!" a voice screamed.

"Isn't that...?" Mrs. Bennet began to ask.

The second Rarity opened the door, Twilight Sparkle burst into the room. "Rarity! Rarity! I have the best news ever!"

"Whoa, Twilight, calm down," Rarity said to her friend, who was practically bouncing around the room. "What is it?"

"It's great! I, Twilight Sparkle, have..." Twilight stopped, when she saw the family gathered around a morose Fluttershy. "What's wrong?"

Rarity quickly and quietly explained the situation to her friend.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, Fluttershy," Twilight said. "I can't believe that happened!"

"Thank you, Twilight," Fluttershy said. She sniffed, and with a forced smile, said, "What is your good news? I could use some cheering up."

"Okay!" Twilight said. She took a deep breath. "I...Twilight Sparkle...am going to be married!"

"What?"

"Who?"

"How?"

"Spike proposed to me!" Twilight said, squealing with happiness. "He came by my house today, and he asked me to marry him!"

"WHAT?" Rarity shouted.

"I know! Isn't it romantic? He said he had his eye on me, ever since he came here! Remember that song he sang at Netherfield? He said it was for me!"

"I...I don't believe it!" Rarity said. I reject Spike, and he immediately proposes to my best friend?!

"You have to be my mare of honor!" Twilight said. "And you can design my wedding dress! It's going to be so much fun!"

"But...but...of course..." Rarity said, putting on a smile which was faker than her eyelashes. "I...I wish you every conceivable happiness, darling."

The compliment was obviously false, but either Twilight Sparkle didn't notice, or she was too polite to mention it. She wrapped Rarity up in a huge hug. "Isn't this wonderful? It's all I ever dreamed of!"

On the other side of the room, Rainbow Dash looked at her mother. "Do...should we tell her the truth?"

"No, that would be too cruel," Mrs. Bennet said, shaking her head.

"Wait a minute..." Pinkie Pie said. "If Spike and Twilight get married and have foals, doesn't that mean they inherit our property, not us?"

Mrs. Bennet started cursing loudly.