• Published 12th Jan 2013
  • 627 Views, 3 Comments

The Delta Dilemma - Sunka



Ten years after the beginning of a fruitless civil war the ponies of Equestria try to rebuild their country, their homes and their lives.

  • ...
2
 3
 627

Final Report

Apple Rhubarb set a bowl of vegetable soup on Yard's nightstand. There was a small plate of cornbread on the tray beside it along with a glass of milk. “Is there anything else you need?”

“Well, I need to report in. Can you get me my comm stuff?”

“Sure,” she turned to go get his quills.

While he waited he levitated spoonfuls of the soup over to him on his bead. The doctors had used their magic to set and strengthen his bones, but he was still bedridden for a few days.

Until then it seemed the mares were taking turns trying to out do each other in taking care of him. Toffee brought over a whole bunch of books, Apple was cooking all his favorites, Delta was, well, being Delta. She had taken to feeding off Apple for a while, until he got his strength back. It seemed to help bring a sense of closure she hadn't had before.

He washed down the heart burn with some of the milk as Apple came in carrying his quill set. “Here you go.”

“Thanks.” He waited until she left to help protect her. Finally he levitated a scroll and a quill in front of him.

Lt. Colonel Pageturner

Commander Special Projects

I am pleased to announce the successful completion of Phase I of Operation

Obsidian Arrow. The Fires of Friendship has been successfully summoned.

It leaves one temporarily blinded, however, so I suspect it's useless as an

offensive tool for anything other than the Wendigo, which is highly

susceptible. Should the winters continue to grow colder we will be ready.

It was able to save a life, but that used potential Elementals, so I'm uncertain

just how effective it could be in our MASH units. Further study should be

done as a lot of lives could be saved. Also, I am sad to report the loss of test subject

Delta. She was overly fed and was capable of turning into a dragon. The

dragon's rage led to a loss of control and her collar had to be detonated.

Please do not send a replacement subject. We got enough to know that

Project Sheepwool was also a complete success. Technical schemata

are to follow.

End Transmission

He turned to the rest of the set. A dragon incense burner flicked into a blue flame. He rolled up the scroll, sealing it then set it on fire.

He took a second scroll.

Dear Princess Celestia,

As per orders, observation of your sister continues. I am pleased to

report that she still shows no signs of any returns to her dark persona.

Her current plans are for the protection of Equestria from potential existential

threats and we're working on a way to save many lives. Though she disagreed

with you on the changelings her heart still remains compassionate.

Say “Hi,” to the Blue Haired Ninny for me.

Your faithful vassal, Yards McCanter, Observer, Lunari Guard

He looked over at the burner this time turning it's flame to a green before setting fire to the scroll. Snuggling in,, he realized his other report was late. He took a quick power nap while the soup cooled.

The dreamscape was a comforting scene on some farm his subconscious had come up with. It was part his dad's farm, part Sweet Apple with a bear selling sandwiches in a road side stand.

The Princess flew down from the night sky. Always a vision of feminine grace and beauty. Her mane flew in it's perpetual breeze. Her slender legs landed on the ground. He knelt before her beauty.

“I am sorry to hear of your loss.”

“Thank you, Princess. I am pleased to report that I may have found at least one potential Elemental. Once we learn where the Elements of Harmony are, we will be able to test further.”

She smiled. “How are your friends?”

He sighed, “Well, I really used them. I'm not sure I could call them friends.”

“You falsified paperwork to protect one, you risked your life to protect them all. They are your friends. You need to forgive yourself, Yards. You're using your clinical skills to build shells to protect your wounds. Until you can start empathizing with them, you're going to continue to use those that want to help you. You can do so much more.” She put her hoof under his chin. He felt himself swoon.

“Princess?”

“Yes?”

“Delta, what was her real name?”

She turned to look over he shoulder. “I'm needed elsewhere. Trust in yourself, Yards. You are worthy of their love.” She took to the sky, disappearing into the moon's face. Yards looked on, deciding that a nap would be all the adventure he'd be interested in today.

Comments ( 2 )

OK, so I haven't read this and, in all honesty, I'm probably not going to. It is just not my type of story. But I still feel like I should offer you some advice and no one has commented yet. So here. Whether or not you want it, take it.
It is generally a bad idea to post all of a 14k word story at once, especially when said story is 11 chapters long. You want to start by posting one, two at most, chapters to get your first readers. Add each following chapter between three and ten days after if you have already written them. By posting such a large amount at one time you are scaring away potential readers. Most people only have time for a few thousand words at any given time. When you have more watchers you may be able to get away with posting large amounts at one time but it is not for new writers.
Other than that I don't have much to say. I'd read it but I'm not a romantic and I just do not like changelings.

Best of luck to you.

Wow, is this woefully under-appreciated! -probably because of everything Silver Moon already mentioned... Very nice story! You don't go directly to explaining everything, bogging stuff down--a very easy mistake that can really drag a story down in quality. You're writing is very fluid, too; you often skip mentioning who is speaking what, but your characters are so clear and unique that it's easy to tell without anyway! There are a couple small mistakes, but who doesn't make those every now and again?

Skills: you have 'em.

Login or register to comment