• Published 30th Dec 2012
  • 438 Views, 6 Comments

The Mark of Lightning - MostFaithfulDemonSlayer



The story behind my OC, Lightning Roller's, cutie mark. My first fanfic. Consider this a sort of prequel (I plan to write more of my OC) Rated teen for a little blood

  • ...
 6
 438

Destiny

I started off as a normal Pegasus pony living in Cloudsdale. I had the typical life of a flight school attendee. I loved the art of the Oriental Equestrians, and learned to draw them ever since I was nothing more than a filly. Everyone in flight school loved my art, and asked if I was going to live down in Ponyville to become an artist. Unfortunately, life decided to choose my fate for me…

One clear evening many nights ago, I flew down low to the edge of the Everfree Forest. Unlike most ponies, I wasn’t afraid to stand at the edge of this vast, dark green bushel of trees, vines, and other plant life. I came here to draw, and to clear my head sometimes of the drama of flight school. Anyways, a strong gust of wind blew my sketchbook into the forest, and, groaning, I flew in to get it. Luckily, it didn’t fly far, just off into a meadow. I dive bombed right on top of it, and that is when it happened.

All of a sudden, I hear a crack of thunder. A huge shock of electricity surges through the very core of my being. Not pain, but a tingling passes throughout my skin and fur. My feathered wings explode out in a jerking muscle contraction. My eyes bulge out; my mane stands on end. I feel no pain, but can see the lightning surge through my hooves, and I wonder:

Was this how my life will end?

I awoke from my unconsciousness. I realized I was bleeding from my hooves, covering them in dark red blood. My entire body tingled. My heart raced…somehow I was alive. My sketchbook, now complete ash, laid next to me. In fact, the entire clearing of the Everfree forest now laid in burning ash. Whatever hit me, lightning bolt or some other weather anomaly, affected this area. Regaining strength, I slowly exited the forest, wincing with each step. I managed to reach the edge of the forest before I fell, writhing from the now rushing pain of my open wounds. I cried. No one knew I was out here, and since everypony is afraid of this forest, no one would come get me. I closed my eyes and entered a deep sleep.

An angelic pony, glowing in its majesty, appeared in front of me. “Who are you?” I asked, scared to approach. A female voice, equally as angelic as the pony angel before me, answered,

“I am the eternal good within you, young Pegasus. Do not be afraid.

I walked towards her. “What happened to me? Why was I struck by lightning that should have killed me but didn’t?”

The angel, gently stroking her hoof on my face, answered, “It is your destiny, young Pegasus...

Ages ago, a Pegasus by the name of Bolt was born. Despite being a mere Pegasus himself, Bolt channeled magic not through a horn, but through his hooves and wings. It’s a rare occurrence where the DNA that makes us ponies either be Pegasi, Unicorns, or Earth Ponies doesn’t work right, and makes us a mix. Bolt suffered from a disease in his genes, but it seemed more like a gift that an ailment. When Princess Celestia noticed this rare genetic defect in Bolt…this gift…he was taken under her wing and, with the help of the Princess herself, would attend Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns: a seemingly impossible feat for a Pegasus of any social status. Not for Bolt! He graduated at the top of his class in the study of lightning magic, and would have soon set out to create lightning for the weather ponies in Cloudsdale, if Celestia didn’t have other plans.”

“What other plans?” I asked.

“Well, young Pegasus, Celestia needed a warrior to fight off the evil creatures that ascend from Tartarus to torment the citizens of Equestria. Changelings, vampires, werewolves, Cerberuses, demon ponies that represent the deadly sins, Slenderponies…anything evil that came from the dark pits of Tartarus had to be defeated. Bolt carried a unique gift, and that unique gift granted him his destiny…and now yours. It is your duty now, as a descendant of the strong, heartfelt,and heroic Pegasus, to defeat the demons of Tartarus and rid Equestria of evil.”

The angelic pony seemed pleased with her tale.

“How do I know this is true?” I wondered in suspicion.
“Look at your cutie mark.” she pointed with a hoof.

I looked towards my flank, and gasped. A red lightning bolt slashed across my original cutie mark, an anime eye. By studying it, I could see this was no ordinary mark.

“The mark of the Bolt has been placed upon your flank. You are blessed, and yet, cursed. Bolt suffered from a split personality. Your cutie mark shall tell you, young Pegasus, whether or not you will change into your evil side. The color will change into its polar…”

A pony that looked like me in every aspect except the eyes…the eyes…a teal blue…appeared before me. He was angry, insane, and cynical. There was a blood lust in his eye. His cutie mark looked, in every sense of the word, like mine except…his anime eye was red and the bolt was blue.

“Is this…?” I let the words trail off.

“Yes. This is your evil side incarnate. Careful about your emotions, for if you become him, you will lose complete control of your mind.” the angel warned me.

Suddenly, the evil me jumped on me and pummeled me with his hooves. He was ripping me apart, tearing at my wings and leaving me bloody and beaten. He laughed maniacally as his blood lust was being fulfilled. A distant scream was heard…

I awoke with a start, and got up. My hooves were miraculously healed; in fact, everything was healed. I flapped my wings, the feathers gleaming in the early sunrise. I was ready to fly the day away…until I looked at my flank.

“The mark from the dream…” I said in shock. I stroked it with a hoof, tracing the red bolt over the eye. In that moment, I understood. I must take on the task of Demon Slayer and abandon my old name and give myself a new one: Lightning Roller. I flew up towards Cloudsdale, smiling, but…worried. I wondered what adventures lie ahead in my newly destined life.

Comments ( 6 )

"Filly" refers to a young female equine.
Colt is the word you are looking for in the description.
Though rushed quite a bit, it was really good for a first!

:derpytongue2: oh, silly me. I knew that, but didn't realize the error. Thanks>>1874633

1874844
you are quite welcome. i'll drop a 'follow' to see where this heads. :scootangel:

Comment posted by IraqLobstah deleted Dec 30th, 2012

awesome story and awesome OC, dude! :D :pinkiehappy:

Some tense change errors, I believe, and the unnecessary use of underlining. Other that that, great! I haven't read the sequel, but I feel like a separate sequel is needed; maybe add on chapters to this instead (probably the former would be best).

Login or register to comment