• Published 18th Dec 2012
  • 16,102 Views, 1,469 Comments

My Little Dragon - Metal Pony Fan



Many years ago, shortly before the birth of one Twilight Sparkle, Celestia, ruler of Equestria, found a small item in a forest. That item? An egg. Around the same time, Celestia, ruler of Draconica found something small in a forest. A pony.

  • ...
48
 1,469
 16,102

PreviousChapters Next
Destiny

In the dark of the cave, Spike was nestled upside down in a cocoon of rough sisal ropes. He sighed around the cloth gag tied around his mouth. Around his horn, Bard’s strand of crystals wrapped around his horn and sapped his magic if he tried to use it. He was stuck in here until someone let him out. And, until that happened, Chrysalis was with Rarity and Twilight, masquerading as him.

The pony shut his eyes and screamed into the gag. His words were muffled, and he was pretty sure he couldn’t be heard beyond the cave. He groaned quietly in defeat. “I’m sorry, I couldn’t do anything.” Spike’s eyes snapped open. His gag was gone.

Rarity was standing above him, looking down at him with a smirk. “Didn’t we agree, no more apologies?” She touched a claw to the pony’s lips to silence his reply. She spoke to him as she worked to undo his bindings. “You didn’t have anything to do with happened out there, and as much as I dislike that Chrysalis creature, I can’t wish starvation on her.“

Once he was free of the ropes, Spike pulled himself to standing, stretching out muscles that were stiff from immobility. “You’re being a lot more understanding than I would be.”

“Don’t misunderstand, darling.” With a mischevious gleam in her eye, she rested a claw on her chest. “I made it quite clear what will happen, should something like this ever happen again.” She saw the crystals around Spike’s horn, and reached up to untie them. She smiled as she undid the knots in the string. “After all the times you’ve touched my horns, I’m just now getting to return the favor.”

Spike blushed and looked away. “I only did it to make sure you were ok.”

“I know that.” Rarity giggled. “Besides, I was the one who, I suppose you could say, initiated it.”

The pony scratched the side of his neck as he felt the crystals slip off his horn. “Say, Rarity, could I ask you something?” After a moment of waiting for a response, Spike looked over at her. She was sitting in front of him, looking down at the folded front claws she clutched to her chest “Rarity, are you ok?”

She jerked her head upright. ”I’m fine. I’m fine, Spike.” Her gaze drifted back to her claws. “It’s just…” She looked up slowly. “Spike, what do you think about destiny?”

“That’s an odd question.” The pony recalled the conversation he had with Celestia before leaving the capitol and sighed quietly. “I’ll do my best to answer it, but did you have something specific in mind?”

She nodded slowly. “Do you believe in it? Suppose you were told that something would happen, something that seems impossible. Then, you are told that something specific would follow that.”

Spike’s eyebrows pulled together. “You mean, like a prophecy?”

The dragoness shook her head. “Not quite, but I suppose that’s close enough.”

“Well, I’ve seen a lot of magic and a great deal of unexplainable things.” The pony scratched his neck. “I’m one of them.” He put a hoof on Rarity’s shoulder. “I can’t rule out the possibility of looking into the future, and there are countless ancient prophecies and predictions. But, even if there is a fate laid out for us, I don’t believe it controls us. We change our path going forward through our own strength and through the strength of those around us. We’re dragons, not even the future can rule over us, and that freedom is our greatest gift in this life. The prophecies can be true or not, but the most they can do is serve to guide us.” The pony chuckled. “Well, I’m not a dragon, but you get the point.”

Rarity smiled at him. “Of course you are, dear. You are a dragon in every way that matters.” She looked down at her claws, still held tight to her chest. “Thank you for answering me, Spike, but I’m sure you’ve been cooped up in this cave long enough. You can head out, and I’ll be right along.”

“Yeah.” The pony looked towards the mouth of the cave. “I’ve got a thing or two to say to those two.” He started to leave, but turned back after a few steps. “I hope you don’t mind me asking this, but do you believe in destiny?”

Rarity shook her head slowly. “I’m not sure, not anymore, Spike.”

“Oh,” Spike said to himself as he started walking again, “that’s probably why you asked.”

“No,” Rarity whispered. She unfolded her claws. In the dark of the cave, the sharp nail on each digit glowed with bright purple light, and the strand of crystals she held glowed green with the residue of the magic it was used to restrain. “It’s why I asked you.”

Author's Note:

Chapter Title

Destiny - by Unsun

PreviousChapters Next