• Published 18th Dec 2012
  • 16,101 Views, 1,469 Comments

My Little Dragon - Metal Pony Fan



Many years ago, shortly before the birth of one Twilight Sparkle, Celestia, ruler of Equestria, found a small item in a forest. That item? An egg. Around the same time, Celestia, ruler of Draconica found something small in a forest. A pony.

  • ...
48
 1,469
 16,101

PreviousChapters Next
Stage Select (Side Story)

"Stahl!"

"Stahl?"

Fire Flash crouched low in the shadows of the cave entrance. Two dragons were tromping around outside, calling for one named Stahl. The shorter of the two was pale, cream-white, and had smooth, snake-like scales. He was devoid of distinguishing features like horns, ears, or crest, and his large slitted eyes seemed out of place in daylight. Small cuts and scrapes explained the leather armor he wore over his weak hide. The other wore no armor, he didn't need it. The glint of his blue-grey scales in the mottled light gave his natural armor the appearance of faceted steel.

"I told you we were lost," the snakish one complained. "He's not here."

"Someone is," the metallic one countered, "I can smell them."

Fire Flash cursed under his breath. Derpy crawled up beside him and whispered, "What should we do?"

The red dragon looked over. His grey companion didn't get much sleep last night. What little she got was fitful and nightmare ridden, and it showed. She looked ragged, and the tracks of dried tears stained her face. She didn't look ready for a fight, and that might be the one thing that saves them. "When I call for you, walk out, but don't do anything. Just look at the ground the whole time."

He started to crawl forward, but the grey dragin grabbed his shoulder to stop him. "You can't."

Fire Flash grabbed the claw, and looked her in the eyes. "Trust me." He looked down at the claw intertwined with his. How long has it been since he was responsible for another's safety? And, why did she have to be so like her? "I'll get you home, to your daughter, but you have to trust me."

Her answer was silent, with a slight nod, she pulled her claw back.

Fire Flash squirmed out of the hole behind the two prowling dragons and let out a loud, exaggerated snort. "Boy, you guys are late."

Their shock showed when they spun to face him. White even stumbled and fell, and had to scramble back up. "Who are you?"

"I should ask the same thing." Fire Flash took a single step forward. He still had to find out if they were friend or foe. "Koro didn't mention anyone else."

"Really? He didn't even talk to us," Steel said in a low scraping voice, "had his lackey Stahl give us instructions. We were supposed to meet him and the other two somewhere around here."

Two more? "I dealt with Koro directly, is Stahl the weaponed weasel that follows him around?"

"Nah," Steel shook his head, "that's Bilk. He has a bad habit of talking back to Stahl and Koro, and they don't trust him. So, they they keep him close."

Easier to get rid of him that way. Fire Flash shrugged. Looks like this group wasn't exactly well-knit. "Did any of them tell you why we're attacking a little nothing town like Dragonspire?"

"N-no," White shook his head nervously, "You two may be attacking, but I'm a thief, I'm going after the hatchling and getting out."

Fire Flash blinked, then cursed silently hoping his momentary surprise didn't blow his cover. "This is the first I've heard of that. My job was to create chaos, cover for whatever else is going on."

"Me too," said steel. "I take it you're a firebreather?"

"Locals live in wooden buildings," Fire Flash said with a smirk, "this will be my easiest job in a long while."

"Slow down, hotshot, there's a few dragons that might make this hard on us, including their forest guardian. She's an Ice Mage that forced Koro into retreat during a fight a few years ago. Killing her is my job, preferably before she kills any of you, but no promises." The confident drake pointed to his skittish companion. "The other fighters are all supposed to take on specific dragons around the target, letting him slip in and take the hatchling Koro wants."

Fire flash winced as Derpy gasped. Both of the other dragons snapped their attention in that direction. Steel stepped sideways, keeping his attention on Flash. White took a step back, staring in the direction of the noise. "I thought you were alone."

Fire Flash tried to smile confidently. "Do I look like the type of guy who spends a cold night alone?" He looked over his shoulder. "Get out here!" He waited a few seconds. "Remember what I said! I keep my promises, girl."

White and Steel didn't understand the significance behind the red dragon's words, but Derpy did. She crawled out of the manticore den, and limped out into the open. She followed instruction, and kept her gaze firmly on the ground, but it was a death stare, as if she wanted to kill the ground, stuff it, and kill it a few more times.

Steel was the first to speak. "She doesn't look like a fighter, but with those eyes, I can't tell. Why is she here?"

"Entertainment." Fire Flash shrugged. "I'm done with her, so feel free to do whatever."

"Really?" Steel raised his eyebrows. "This job just gets better and better."

He started walking towards Derpy. White watched carefully, but took an absentminded step forward, then another. Fire Flash flexed his knuckles quietly. One... more..

White took that last step into striking range, and Fire Flash lashed out. His claws sliced through the pale dragon's throat like scissors through cloth, leaving three deep gashes all the way to the spine. If he wasn't dead now, it would only be a matter of seconds. Fire flash struck him hard on the side of the neck for good measure, and rewarded by a solid pop as vertebrae snapped.

As the body crashed to the ground, Fire Flash wondered if he even felt it happen. He didn't have time to dwell, though. Flash turned to face Steel just as the other dragon heard the drop of White's carcass.

The sound that rang out was a war cry, halfway between an anguished scream and a predatory growl. Neither drake had a chance to react, let alone move before it's source pounced. Derpy tackled the steel-colored dragon that had been approaching her. Her respectable mass caught him off balance, and her hard-earned strength let her over power him long enough to shove what looked like a black rubber ball down his throat.

Steel gagged, and tried to bite the limb Derpy was holding in place. Fire Flash ran to help her, but Derpy didn't need it. She closed her eyes, braced against the pain, and crushed the bubble she held in her claws.

A massive wind swept Fire Flash off balance. His ears rang from an unnaturally high-pitched hiss, and blasts of dry air and dirt stung his eyes. It was only a second before silence took hold again. Debris leaned against him, leaves, twigs, and broken branches, all piled up, but only from one side. He thrashed about, dislodging anything that might impede his mobility, and stood up.

The sight before him was one he had seen before. This fight was over. Everything loose had been blown away, leaving Derpy in the center of what looked like a crater, sitting atop her defeated opponent.

Steel still drew breath, but it was a labored, gurgling affair. His jaw was shattered, and he was bleeding from his ears, nose and eyes. The rest of his body seemed unhurt, but laid limp, unwilling, or unable, to move.

Fire Flash walked over as Derpy pulled herself off of him, nursing her bleeding right claw. He looked down at the defeated drake. The fear he saw was a familiar sight, but the helplessness that accompanied it was unnerving. The drake tried to speak, but nothing came out save a sputtering as blood foamed in his mouth. If left there, he would probably drown in his own vital fluids in a few moments.

Not a pleasant way to go.

Flash rolled the drake over. If he was ever in this position, he hoped his opponent would give him as much consideration. One stomp to the back of the steel drake's neck, and gurgling noises stopped.

Derpy closed her eyes and started to shiver as she headed towards an adrenaline crash. "He can't have her," she told Fire Flash. "I won't let Koro take Dinky away from me."

Fire Flash walked over to the snake-like thief he dispatched earlier. Attached to his armor were a variety of satchels and pouches. He tore off the one closest to the dead dragon's claws and dug through it. As expected, it was filled with maps and papers. One in particular described a high paying criminal job, enough treasure to live a long and comfortable life, even by dragon standards, for the kidnapping of a single hatchling. "I don't think they were after your daughter." Fire Flash flipped to the next page. "According to this, Koro is after a hatchling named Twilight Sparkle."

Author's Note:

The remaining titles will all reference the soundtrack to one of my favorite NES Games, Bucky O'hare. Next chapter, Green Planet.

Hastily Preserved Chain of Comments.



Badly Drawn Turtle
#3 · 10w, 15h ago · · ·

"He can't have her," she told Fire Flash. "I won't let Koro take Dinky away from me."

I have a feeling that they're after a bigger target… Yup, I was right. Still, epic mother-rage Derpy is a go. Did she just make a bubble bomb? And stuff it down another dragon's throat? You have to wonder what Koro is like if he could mess with her.

Who, exactly, would want Twilight? It can't be Koro; it sounds more like he's the type to only do things if there's a direct monetary reward involved, so he's probably been hired by somedragon else. Might Greyscale be trying to take Twilight because he knows Celestia is interested in her? Or is there yet a hidden player in this game?

Now that I'm caught up, I'll try to actually read chapters as they come out. But no guarantees.



Caliaponia
#2 · 11w, 3d ago · · ·

Hmm. Very interesting, I look forward to reading more.



Magical Trevor
#1 · 11w, 3d ago · · ·

Dun dun DUUUUUUUUUN!

PreviousChapters Next