• Published 18th Dec 2012
  • 16,094 Views, 1,469 Comments

My Little Dragon - Metal Pony Fan



Many years ago, shortly before the birth of one Twilight Sparkle, Celestia, ruler of Equestria, found a small item in a forest. That item? An egg. Around the same time, Celestia, ruler of Draconica found something small in a forest. A pony.

  • ...
48
 1,469
 16,094

PreviousChapters Next
The Dragon Lies Bleeding

Rarity smiled nervously as she fidgeted on one of the two small couches the Apple Family had installed for their smaller guests. To steal a phrase from a crime drama she had recently read, this was not how it was supposed to go down. She had a plan, a prepared script for this event, and it did not involve the pony seated next to her. Not that he was any better off. He was sweating, visibly so, and after their little trek through the wilderness, it wasn't doing any favors for his scent.

The two dragons seated on the couch across from them just stared, waiting for their daughter to speak. Every so often, one or the other would reach for their drink, a refreshing glass of iced apple tea, an obvious choice, given their hosts. They were calm, quiet, not wanting to rush Rarity, but as clueless to the discomfort their silence caused as a goldfish is to its sanitation conditions.

"So," Rarity started, straightening up, "I suppose it's best to be straightforward about this..." Rarity held her claw up, gesturing to the dragons across from them. "Spike, this is my father, Magnum, and my mother, Lapua."

Her father raised an eyebrow, and her mother tilted her head slightly, lowering her tea glass just so.

Before Rarity could continue with the carefully crafted speech that she was improvising, Spike blurted out, "I really like your daughter!"

Smooth.

Rarity choked and glared at Spike. But, her glare softened quickly. The pony was sitting stiffly, almost shaking from how tense he held himself. His body betrayed how nervous he must feel, but his eyes held only pure determination. Perhaps a little too much determination, he looked like was heading into battle, not conversation.

Rarity's father pursed his lips, putting on a stern face that made Spike gulp. What the pony didn't realize though, was that the drake was simply trying to keep himself from laughing. Rarity's mother was undergoing a similar situation, coughing lightly into a claw. She cleared her throat and spoke up, "Why?"

Spike looked over at Rarity, catching her eye for a moment. She held the gaze for a moment, and the corners of Spike's mouth pulled into a small smile. The dragoness looked away quickly, she liked the pony's smile, but that one was a little different from his usual goofy optimism. If she stared at that smile too long, she would probably start to blush. But, she glanced over with a little twitch of her ear. She still wanted to hear what he was going to say.

"I don't know."

Rarity blinked. What? She looked back at Spike, and he shrugged, still looking at her. Was that really all he had to say? Rarity groaned and brought a claw to her head.

"I've known hundreds of brave and honorable dragons, and Rarity is as brave and honorable as any of them." She pulled her claw away from her face as the pony continued, "She is as beautiful as any dragon can hope to be, and her unique strength and magical abilities are enviable at the very least. She will not hesitate to put herself on the line to defend what she cares about, and she shows a compassion that is as rare as her name implies." Spike slipped his hoof around one of Rarity's claws. "She works hard for Twilight's sake, and never puts herself first, and has not rejected me for what I am or am not. I feel at ease around her, at home in a way that I did not think I could feel." Rarity was blushing furiously by this point, but she didn't care. And she didn't really care that the pony's speech wasn't over. "I don't know which of these traits it is, or if it's any of them, but I...I love her."

Rarity's father didn't know if he should clap or cry. Her mother had decided on cry, and sniffed loudly. "That was like something out of a novel."

The drake shook his head and sighed. "It was certainly dramatic, I'll give you that. Now, I want to hear what my little girl has to say."

Rarity was still reeling, all the lines she had prepared were gone, and all she had left was her own confusion. She felt the same way, didn't she? She looked at Spike, but she couldn't put her feelings into words like he could. There was so much they had been through, how could he be distilled into a few words? His optimism pulled him forward and rubbed off on those around him. He was kind and helpful, had a sense of justice maybe? He was alone in this world but didn't show it?

No.

Rarity tightened her claw around his hoof. He wasn't alone. Not anymore, not if she had any say in it. She was going to sort out her feelings now. She straightened up and looked at her parents with what she hoped was the same look of determination Spike had. "First, I need to ask, how did you and mother know? When did you realize you were in love, that you wanted to spend your lives together?"

Rarity's father leaned back, laughing quietly. "We didn't."

"Huh?" Rarity shook her head, looking back and forth between her parents. "I don't understand. You didn't know when you loved each other?"

"No, dear." Rarity's mother shrugged and leaned back, letting her husband drape a claw around her shoulder. "We didn't love each other."

Spike and Rarity shared looks of confusion, prompting another laugh from her father. "I should probably explain."

"You think?" Rarity snapped. "How could you and mom not love each other? That's as preposterous as Spike sprouting wings." She looked over at Spike. "That is preposterous, right?"

"Me sprouting wings?" He asked. "I guess."

"Calm down, honey." Rarity's father leaned forward and grabbed his tea. "Your mother and I love each other very much. It just... wasn't always like that."

Rarity's mother nodded and grabbed her own glass. "We were friends, but..."


"But, nothing! Give it to me!" The young drake held out his claw.

"No, I changed my mind, Magnum." The young dragoness clutched her scroll tightly. She wasn't about to hand it over to any dragon. "I'm giving it to him without a proofreading pass. I'm not giving myself a chance to back out."

The drake sighed and plopped down on the rock next to her. "As long as you don't back out of proofreading mine. I won't chicken out, and I don't want any mistakes. Take no chances, need no excuses, Lapua."

The dragoness stretched out in the soft grass, absently reaching for a small flower nearby. "You always say that."

The royal gardens in Dragartha's caldera were empty except for the two young dragons, representatives of two rival clans from the contested regions of the southern oceans. Supposedly, their clans were at war right now, but these two were so far removed from it, that it didn't seem real.

How could it be? The official representatives, caretakers, and ambassadors from both sides interacted on a regular basis, negotiating peaceful agreements, discussing politics, and even meeting for grand banquets. Hell, the two of them had pretty much been raised together, attending the same schools and functions for the last several years.

"Hey, Lapua, good luck."

She rolled over and looked at her friend. Something was off about him today. The way he was staring at the sunny sky was a little off, no other dragon would notice it, but his eyebrows were doing that thing they did when he was uneasy, just slightly scrunching as he focused on random clouds.

"I thought you didn't believe in luck?"

He scoffed. "I don't." There was a pause, and he shrugged. "But you do, so good luck."

"What's wrong, Magnum?" She flicked the fluff off a dandelion in front of her. "And remember, you can't lie to me."

He swatted at the fuzz as it blew in his face. "I overheard the ambassador talking to Greyscale. Bandy's going to be reassigned next week."

"Reassigned how?"

Magnum shrugged. "I don't know the details, just that some dragon is being brought in to replace her."

"She's being sent back to Corith?" She sighed. No wonder he was upset. "You better give her that letter quickly then."

He shared the sigh. "That's not the problem."

She perked her head up. "But you said you loved her, how is that not a problem? I don't know how I'd feel if Tiro moved away, but you can bet it would be a huge problem for me."

"But, Tiro's a high ranking guard cadet, I bet his superiors are always discussing his future." Magnum sat up and stared at the stone below him. "I hate saying it like this, but Bandy's just an apprentice chef. The ambassador shouldn't even know she exists, much less be discussing her assignment with one of draconica's council members."

Lapua was starting to feel uneasy when he put it like that. "What are you getting at?"

He shook his head. "I hope it's nothing, but I have this weird feeling that she's being reassigned because of me."

"Because of your father?"

He nodded. "It's no secret that he doesn't like Greyscale, but why would Greyscale go through the trouble of getting the ambassador to reassign Bandy?"

"Maybe he doesn't want you courting her?" Lapua couldn't think of a reason why he wouldn't, but what other possibility was there? "Maybe he just wants you to be miserable."

"Greyscale may be a jerk, Lapua, but he doesn't do things that petty. He has to be planning something else."

A speck on the edge of the caldera caught Lapua's attention. "Magnum, did you tell any dragon we hang out up here?"

"Hmm?" He followed the dragoness' gaze. "Only Bandy. How about you?"

"I told Tiro, of course. I wanted to bring him up here to give him my letter." She shaded her eyes with a claw as she watched the speck grow. "You know, I think that's him."

"Who, Tiro?"

"Yeah." The speck grew into a recognizable shape, and Lapua stood up. "It is!"

Magnum stood up as well. "Why is he here? Isn't he supposed to be on duty?"

When the approaching dragon landed, it was clear he was on duty. His ceremonial sash and armor were on and neatly adjusted, and he walked tall and stiff, with purpose. Lapua didn't seem to notice. She ran up to him and threw herself around his neck in a hug, quite a feat given that he was a few scales over twice her size. "Tiro, what are you doing here?"

The guard cadet pulled her off gently and set her down. He looked down at her with a look that nearly broke her heart. Disgust, sadness, and worst of all, pity. He stepped back and composed himself. "The two of you are needed in Greyscale's office. The ambassadors from Corith and Iber are waiting."


Two hours later

The door to Greyscale's office squeaked open, one intentionally bent hinge alerting the room's occupants to the visitors. Tiro, leading the uneasy Lapua and Magnum, entered the room and stood at attention off to the side.

There were six dragons waiting in the room. The one Magnum recognized as Greyscale sat behind the desk in the center of the candlelit room, flanked by what appeared to be two personal guards. The ambassadors from Corith, Magnum's clan, and Iber, Lapua's, sat on either side of the desk. The last dragon in the room was waiting was hidden behind the bulk of Greyscale's bodyguard, but when she peeked out, Magnum saw her face.

"Bandy? What are you-" He tried walk over to her, but was blocked when a guard flicked his wing out like a wall between them. Magnum glared at Greyscale. "What's going on here?"

The aptly named council member laced his claws together and rested them on his desk. "I would prefer to let the ambassadors explain, but I would recommend you not associate with those below your station."

"Below my station?" Magnum growled. "I thought you were Draconican. There's no caste system here."

Greyscale scoffed, lifting a claw to dust at his shoulder. "That is correct, shame though it may be. However, both Corith and Iber's caste systems are alive and flourishing."

"Not when I take over," Magnum retorted. "Lapua won't put up with it either."

"Is that so?" Greyscale asked, eyebrow raised. "She at least had the sense to fall for a promising noble, instead of some pretty peasant."

"Get to the point!" Magnum shouted. He turned to the guard blocking him. He was at least twice Magnum's height, and mass. "And you, get out of my way."

The guards only response was to slip one claw behind his back. There was the snap of an undone latch, and the scrape of steel on leather. Magnum washed his own magic over his body as the guard produced a large spiked club.

Moving faster than the guard could react, he chomped down on the club, close to other dragon's grip on it. With a twist, he threw the dragon into a nearby shelf. The crack of wood and raining thuds of falling books spurred the other guard into action. He pounced at Magnum, drawing an identical club.

The smaller drake spun twice, swinging the club with his whole weight and enhanced strength. The first swing knocked the guard's weapon off target, and the next connected with his armored shoulder plate. Steel bent with a squeal like a wounded rabbit, and the guard crashed to the ground as Corith's ambassador ducked out of the way.

Greyscale chuckled. "As expected of Corith's warrior class, an impressive show."

One last sound of steel on leather, and Magnum spun to face it, raising his weapon at Tiro, who was bringing the stout blade of a traditional Iber dueling sword to ready.

Magnum shook his head. "Don't." If it had been any dragon else, there would be no hesitation, but he couldn't fight Tiro in front of Lapua. Forget the political ramifications of injuring an Iber, he would be hurting the dragon his best friend loved. "I don't want to hurt you."

Tiro stepped forward slowly, dead look in his eyes. He didn't care. He swung fast, slashing straight down at Magnum's head. It was an easy dodge, a simple hop back, and the heavy blade buried itself in the floor, splintering the oaken planks. Magnum launched himself up to attack the taller dragon. He swung wide, and their eyes met for less than a second. Tiro made no move to free his weapon from the floor, or even move out of the way.

Tiro closed his eyes as the club came down.

"No!" Lapua rushed forward

The crunch of bone sounded like the wet snap of a sapling tree, and the splatter of blood was sickeningly warm. Magnum dropped the club. Tiro fell to his knees, catching himself with his left claw. His right would never be able catch anything again. It had been far too late to stop the swing entirely, but Magnum somehow shifted it enough to miss his opponent's head.

"Your mercy is misplaced," Tiro forced out in a soft ragged voice. It was taking all his concentration to keep from passing out. His right shoulder was ruined, torn open down to the crushed bone. The arm hung limp, held only by sinew and what little remained of the muscle. "I did not think it possible to lose more than I already had."

Tiro shoved Lapua away when she reached him, and Magnum looked back at Bandy. She was staring at the floor silently. When he looked back at Tiro, he was doing the same thing, wordlessly watching his blood pool below him, as if willing himself to die from blood loss. "What's going on?" he demanded

"Magnum," Bandy spoke up for the first time since entering the room, "we've been banished."

"What?!" Magnum looked back at her. Tears were falling from her face. A quick glance showed him that Tiro was in the same condition, and not for his injuries.

Lapua dove for Tiro's sword. She had it pulled from the floorboards and at the closest ambassador's throat before he could even raise his claws. "Explain this!"

Moving slowly, the ambassador pointed to a pair of sealed scrolls on the desk next to him. A similar pair of scrolls sat next to the other ambassador. "The banishment orders, and a letter from your parents, explaining for each of you."

Greyscale cleared his throat. "I believe I can explain this simply." He pointed at Lapua. "You and your friend will be returning to your home nations, the cook and the guard will not. Once there, you two will take over for your parents as leaders of your clans... with one small change."

"What type of change?" Magnum reached for the scrolls, wary of what they may contain. "And why do our ambassadors allow you to speak for them?"

"I am merely acting as an impartial mediator between Iber and Corith." Greyscale shrugged. "And it really is a miniscule change, but you will be returning to one nation instead of two."

"One nation?" Lapua lowered her blade a little, and the ambassador scrambled away from her. "You can't mean-"

"That the two of you are to wed and unite your clans into a single empire?" Greyscale finished for her. "What else could I mean? That's why these distractions need to be dealt with."

Magnum took the sword from Lapua and pointed it over the desk at Greyscale. "Insult them one more time, and it's you who will be dealt with."

Greyscale smiled and leaned forward, looking at magnum down the point of the blade. "Are all of Corith's warriors so melodramatic? You've done far more to harm your so called loves than I could ever hope to." He slowly pushed the sword away. "Ignoring the obvious physical harm to poor Tiro, you just attacked a Draconican council member. Not only did you incapacitate two of my guards, but you threatened me directly. I could have you all banished from this land." He waved a claw in Lapua's direction. "You and she would be forced to go home, but these other two would have nowhere to go. Who knows, they may even be sent to Casull, in the northern wastes. A cripple and a baker," he laughed, "they may survive long enough to curse your names on their dying breaths."

"My father would never allow this," Magnum tried to protest.

Greyscale gestured to the scrolls. "It was his idea, and a wise decision. From what I understand, there is another clan trying to invade both Iber and Corith. Without putting up a unified opposition, one or both nations may fall." He gestured to the other scroll. "Iber's leaders agree, of course."

Magnum looked over at Lapua. There was no way out of this, was there? She caught the look, and nodded slowly. "What happens to Tiro and Bandy, if we agree?"

"They will be considered political refugees, and allowed to stay in Draconica. I will even call for the best of physicians to treat Tiro's wounds." Greyscale folded his claws in front of him. "Your choice."


Magnum sighed and stared into his tea glass. "I kissed Bandy goodbye, your mother kissed Tiro, and we never saw them again. In the morning we started our journey back home." He emptied the last of his drink, set it down, and wiped his mouth. "It was a mess after that. Both clans split into factions, either opposing or supporting unification, and while they were fighting, outside forces invaded without much of a fight. They then used our lands as a staging area to attack Draconica. The military response was swift and decisive."

Rarity's mother shrugged. "In the end, our lands were united, but as Draconican Territories instead of a sovereign empire. We sought refuge in Dragartha, but our ambassadors had committed suicide, and we were wanted in connection with the initial attack on Draconica. We were captured by a young tetrarch named Bluescale, but he released us a few days after hearing our story. We had nothing left, so we stuck together, traveling ever since, only settling down long enough to raise you and Sweetie Belle."

"You... You never told me any of this." Rarity covered her mouth with a claw. Her parents had never told her how they met. When she was youndger, any time she would ask about their past, they would laugh it off, or change the subject. She understood now why they wouldn't share such a terrible story until she grew older, but she couldn't help but feel something else as well. Anger. "How could you?"

Lapua leaned forward. "Please understand, dear, we only kept it from you because we didn't want you to feel we were only together out of obligation. It may have started that way, and after the collapse of our clans, all we had was each other. But, we could have gone our separate ways at any time. It was our choice to stay together, and somewhere along the way, we learned to love each other."

"No!" Both parents flinched from their sudden shout. "I understand that part just fine! What I don't understand, is how could you expect your own daughter to blindly follow a prophecy after what happened to you?"

Spike touched her shoulder. "Calm down."

She pulled away from him. "No, you don't get to tell me that. In fact, you need to just stay out of this before I change my mind."

"About what?" Spike asked innocently. A quick glare from Rarity made him put his hooves up in a placating gesture. "Never mind."

Rarity moved to stand up, but in the time she had been distracted, her mother had gotten up and moved over to her. Lapua caught her daughter as she came off the couch, pulling her to her chest and cradling her head close to the heart, as if she was a hatchling, and not a full-grown dragoness. "Please believe me," she whispered into her crest, "we never meant for you to follow it. It was an excuse, a convenient excuse. We just wanted to keep you safe, so that you would never know the helplessness and heartbreak we had to endure."

"Draconica is different from the nations we grew up in," Magnum explained, mostly to Spike. "A Dragon's value is based almost completely on their own power and talents. It's quite different from the Caste systems we were used to. Rarity's powers would have made her valuable to a dragon like Greyscale, or any dragon wishing to advance his position in life." He gestured to Spike's untouched tea. "May I?"

"Go ahead," Spike replied.

Magnum swept the glass up and downed half of it. Then set it down with a sigh, wishing it was something stronger. "It sounds so horrible to say it out loud, but we didn't want her forming connections. We didn't want her to become attached to anydragon in a way that could be used against her. We kept her isolated, like we did ourselves, traveling a gypsy's life through Draconica, just so we wouldn't get hurt." He scoffed. "What cowards we were. When she ran away from us and settled down here was the first time we ever really saw how misguided we were. But, misguided or not, we still want to protect her. Is there any way we can be sure you, or your family for that matter, won't use our little girl's power for your own personal gain?"

Spike bit back a smile. "I think so. I have no personal aspirations for power or glory, and would rather live a quiet life with good books and good friends. As for my family, I don't think my mother has anything to gain by accumulating more power than she already has."

Magnum shook his head. "Every dragon has something to gain. Your mother would have to be princess Celestia, or as apathetic as you claim to be, to not want more power."

Spike scratched his neck. "Um, yeah, about that... Wait, apathetic?"

Magnum held up his claw. "I understand, if you're that embarrassed to talk about it. I had an aunt who was the same way. She would just sleep on her little pile of gold, never wanting to expand it, never venturing out for anything but food."

"Um, not quite." Spike shrugged. "But, I guess it would be best for all of you to meet her, then you can decide for yourself."

Magnum nodded. "I would like that. We'll be in the area a while, so arrange it and we'll be here. Now, could we have a moment alone with our daughter?"

"Of course!" Spike answered quickly, and with far more energy than necessary. He noticed it, and dialed back a bit. "Um, I'll be outside if you need me." He stood up and edged his way towards the door. "It was nice meeting you," he said with a slight nod. "Your daughter really is a wonderful dragon, I'm lucky to even know her."

He slipped out the door and closed it behind him. He kept backing away until he hit the far wall, then collapsed against it, clutching at his racing heart. Hoo, wow, that was nerve-wracking. He had been through battles that were easier than that. He could only hope he made a good impression.

He took a few seconds to catch his breath before making his way down the hallway. It was interesting, this section of the house seemed too small for most of the dragons living here. It must have been built specifically for guests and the younger family members.

He took a set of stairs down to the ground level. Each section of the house was slightly different, both in architecture and materials. Most likely, the house was remodeled as needed to accommodate changes in the size of its occupants. The small section he was just in, and the stairs he walked, seemed to be the most recent additions. The cavernous room they linked to seemed much older.

At the base of the stairs, there was a small door, large enough for Spike, but not quite large enough for a dragon say, Grumble's size. Just a few meters over though, was a door that would easily fit Applejack. The rest of the room was on that same grand scale. Furniture the size of a smaller dragon's house was neatly arranged. A table, shelves, and even a clock carved out of fine-grained wood.

Spike pulled himself away from his study of the farmhouse and let himself out the small door. He wasn't sure where every dragon was, but they shouldn't be too hard to fi- Oh, wait. There they are.

The entire group, minus Rarity, who was still inside, was staring off in the direction of town. Most of them were silent, eyebrows pulled together in confusion. The younger dragons, Twilight and the Crusaders, had looks of wonder. As Spike started walking over, Applejack took off her hat and muttered, "Sweet jumpin' Apple Patties, where'd that come from?"

The pony rounded the corner of the farmhouse and saw what had captured their attention. "Is that a tree?"

It was more than just a tree. It certainly looked like a tree, but it was more of a mountain. The twisted towering trunk, topped by a lush crown of green and jewelled by glimmering golden beacons, towered over the forest on the other side of town. It cast a shadow that reached the edge of Dragonspire's residential district, and no doubt caused a few homeowners to wonder where the sun went.

"Ah ain't ever seen a tree like that." Big Mac turned and looked at his sister, a twinkle of wanderlust in his eye. "Ah'm gonna go check it out. Stay here with the hatchlin's."

"No way," Applejack shook her head and stepped forward defiantly, "Ah'm comin' with you."

Mac stepped towards her, and the two siblings butted heads. "Ya wanna leave Applebloom an' her friends unsupervised?" Mac pointed off at their target. "They'd be up the top a' that thing 'fore we even reach it."

"Oh, please," AJ pushed, and Mac pushed back. Despite the size difference, her brother, at the very least, had her matched for strength. "They cain't even make it ta town 'fore nightfall. And trust me, Appleboom's tried more 'n once. I blame those adventure stories ya tell at bedtime."

Mac rolled his eyes. "At least Ah read stories to her, not field guides fer common crop pests."

Applejack gasped, wounded by her brother's words. "What's wrong with knowin' yer enemy? Them pest guides are good tools. She also falls asleep faster when Ah read to her."

"Cause ya bore her to tears. She already knows the pest book inside and out. Ya need to change things around every once 'n a while."

Applejack sat down, raising a cloud of dust as she thumped on the ground. "And how do you suggest we go about that?"

"Um," Fluttershy raised a claw, seeking permission to speak, but unwilling to put herself between the two siblings. "Excuse me?"

"That's it!" Applejack shouted, pointing at the timid dragon. "Fluttershy can read to her!"

"Oh, um, ok. But, I was going to volunteer to watch the hatchlings. That way, both of you could go. Oh, and Spike too."

"That works too," AJ responded without missing a beat.

Mac shook his head at his sister, then glanced over at Fluttershy. Before speaking, he looked away. "Uh, thanks, Shy."

The yellow dragin looked away as well, blushing, and just happy to be speaking to the farmer. How long had it been since they even spoke this much? A year? More? "Oh, it's, um, it's nothing, really." She looked back at the red drake, awaiting a response like a wildflower waits for rain, shriveling slightly when none came. Was that it? The end of their interaction who knows how much longer? She didn't want it to end like that, couldn't let it end like that. She had to do something, say something. "I... I... I'm happy help?"

She tried.

She turned around stiffly, face turning bright red from embarrassment. She was Guardian of the forest, daughter of the Water Kingdom's Princess, and granddaughter of Draconica's highest ranking general. She had faced countless monsters in her relatively short lifetime, and wrought victory over all of them. Despite all that, she couldn't even get one sentence out properly when faced with a single red farmer, who was barely any taller than she.

"Whelp, what're we waitin' 'round for?" Applejack got up and dusted off. "Fluttershy, 'fore Ah forget, tell Rare's that Granny Smith wanted ta talk ta her."

Author's Note:

Chapter Title

The Dragon Lies Bleeding - Hammerfall

I think I'm finally getting used to the time management skills required when you're working three jobs. I haven't been on much the last few months, but I haven't stopped writing. I kept my little pad with me on breaks and lunches, and wrote when I could, and have enough content to post weekly for the next year! Not all of it is for MLD, but I will be uploading something every week. I will shoot for Wednesday or Thursday evenings after work.

Thanks for the patience, everyone.

PreviousChapters Next