• Published 16th Dec 2012
  • 25,261 Views, 966 Comments

Becoming One With the Night - Spacecowboy



[NOW COMPLETE][Sequel Published] Twilight and Luna uncover some of Celestia's hidden secrets as they explore their budding relationship

  • ...
52
 966
 25,261

Chapter 2 - Back to the Flashes!

"—become my student."

Those three simple words lingered in the air, echoing within Twilight's mind. Realizing the grave error that had come to pass, she began to outwardly panic. Luna herself had yet to move, only further adding to her quickly rising levels of craziness.

"I-I will be back. N-need to think." Luna managed to stutter out as she turned and took wing to the sky, quickly leaving behind the unicorn that had admitted feelings for her not more than mere minutes ago. She was unsure as to what to do, her thoughts tumbling around in a manner that would have made Discord proud. She had been prepared for numerous situations: How to handle delicate gryphon relations, settle disputes in a nonviolent and fair manner, even how to handle the affairs of state should for some reason Celestia be unable to do so. However, nothing had prepared her for this.

Ever since her return five years ago, Luna had found herself slowly acclimating back into the pony society. Although a thousand years wasn't a large portion of her life, the radical changes that had occurred during her time away had left her rather imbalanced, and it had been quite the challenge to settle back in. However, she hadn't even begun to entertain the thought of a lover yet, not to mention that her last encounter had been around five hundred years prior to her banishment.

She found herself upon a random hill some distance between Canterlot and Ponyville as her hooves finally found contact with solid ground again. The moon was at its zenith, and she closed her eyes and focused herself upon her celestial body, thinking of how she felt of and for Twilight, who had played such a pivotal role in her life since her return. With only some stray fireflies, the stars and her moon as company, she thought back as the clock rewound.

Nightmare Night 3 Years Ago

Luna was most overjoyed at the prospect of this coming evening's activities. Just a year ago had been her first foray into society during her arrival at Ponyville's Nightmare Night, and although the night had started off rather sour, it quickly turned into one of the more memorable occasions of her post-return life so far. She had been coordinating with Twilight Sparkle for the last month to ensure everything went according to plan, on what would be her second visit to Ponyville. Twilight had even volunteered to help her scare the foals by posing as her minion for some of the night, which she looked forward to.

The chariot touched down outside of the Town Hall, and Luna proceeded inside. It was a courtesy to inform the official in charge of the area when visiting, if only to avoid a potential commotion when they found out one of their princesses was in town through word of mouth or rumor. After a brief visit with Mayor Mare, she took flight and made her way to the giant tree that housed the library.

Settling her hooves down on solid ground once more, she knocked soundly upon the door, finding it to be unlocked. She waited for a reply, and after receiving none for a minute, let herself into the building. She passed through the foyer and into the library proper, where a world's wealth of knowledge sat neatly organized and catalogued on shelves all around the room. Luna heard a voice muttering from somewhere upstairs and followed it to a staircase leading to the next floor.

"Twilight Sparkle, are you there?" Luna called out up the staircase, not wanting to surprise the unicorn too much. She had heard mention of some rather famous neurotic moments, and hoped to avoid any, lest they interfere with the evening activities planned ahead.

"Yes! Come on up!" Was the muffled reply, and the lunar mare made her way upstairs, where she found Twilight in what looked to be the mare's bedroom standing in front of a full length mirror, her horn aglow with a faint purple aura. She jumped up as Luna entered her view, letting go of her magic and focusing on the new arrival. "Hi Princess Luna, how are you today? I was just trying to get the last part of this illusion spell right, I kind of had some last minute inspiration. Here, let me show you!"

Twilight turned towards the mirror and focused on her magic, her horn shimmering yet again. Luna stood by as the mare that took her attention began to shift, her form changing as the illusion came together. Her coat became a deep royal purple in color, her cutie mark shifting into that of a solar eclipse. She next focused on her face as her pupils became serpentine, although they retained their lavender coloration. A pair of fangs appeared in her mouth slightly visible, adding to the look of Nightmare Moon's minion that she was striving for. The last thing she did with the illusion was to increase her height, bringing her almost up to Luna's level.

"So, what do you think of Nightmare Moon's accomplice for the night? Terrifying enough? I even read some books on horror to try to figure out the best way to approach scaring colts and fillies."

"You need not go through such hassle for my sake Twilight Sparkle. And please, I insist that you call me Luna. Although, for tonight, Nightmare Moon should suffice." Luna let out a small grin at her last words as she worked an illusion of her own, taking the form of her demented self that she was coming to accept as part of her past. "Minion, thy mistress commands thee to attend Us!"

Twilight stood there for a moment before comprehension dawned on her face as she formulated a reply. "Yes Mistress, thy minion stands ready to deprive the children of their candy. What is thy command?" She ended it with a mockery of a salute and a slight bow towards Luna.

"We prithee that thou taketh the ground and we shall command the skies! Our enemies shall not know what fate we doth bring upon them!" Luna replied, her face a mask of iron for a few more moments, before she broke down laughing, Twilight joining her not a moment later. They shared the humor for a good minute or so before finally letting the laughter dwindle down to die in the air.

"So P— Luna, I take it you approve of my disguise for tonight then? I was reading a book on the use of illusions in entertainment and thought of the idea last night. I kind of based it off of Nightmare Moon's appearance, and it is much better than what I originally had planned."

"Yes, I do indeed Twilight Sparkle; it shall work, of that I am most certain. Are there any other preparations for tonight's festivities required? Or shall we head out for the square now?"

"No, Luna, this was the last thing on my list to do. And oh, please, just call me Twilight." With that said, both mares left the library and made their way to the town square where the statue of Nightmare Moon was the centerpiece, a throng of ponies already gathered awaiting the start of the night. The two of them came to stop just outside the view of the crowd and began to make plans.

~{B}~{O}~{W}~{T}~{N}~

Luna and Twilight had recently finished interacting with Pinkie Pie and her entourage of foals. They had spent ten minutes chasing them around town, yells, screams and laughter echoing in the still evening air. After letting the group give them the slip, they decided to retire for a few minutes, and meandered their way to the outskirts of Ponyville to an open field where there were no other ponies in sight. There they sat down to relax.

“Ah, what fun that was! I must thank you, Twilight, for this night of enjoyment thus far. I still find it most odd that ponies would take pleasure in being chased around and frightened so, yet there were as many laughs as screams in the air tonight!” Luna was most overjoyed, a large smile adorning her face as she commented to her partner in crime.

“I remember last year we didn’t realize that they were doing it for fun, that was almost a disaster. It is a good thing we managed to get that cleared up before you left, and you even got some friends by the end of the night too. Seems like you’ll have even more admirers at the end of this night as well.”

“Indeed, it was nice to come away with friends that night. Speaking of that, how is Fluttershy? I did not see her tonight, does she still hide away in her cottage?”

“Yes, she is still too timid to come out on this night, we almost had her convinced, but... Pinkie scared her off last minute. Funny how she can stare down a dragon, yet still be afraid of large groups of ponies.” Twilight giggled slightly before continuing. “Still, she is slowly getting better, she was so timid and quiet when I first moved here.”

The two ponies simply laid there, bathed in the moonlit field, the quiet punctuated by an occasional shrill laugh. Twilight found her gaze settling upon the large orb that dominated the night sky as a thought rose unbidden from her mind.

“Luna...” She began, somewhat unsure of whether she should broach the subject or not. “If you don’t mind... What was it like, up there?”

The midnight alicorn stole a glance at Twilight before noticing the object of her sight, and let out a long winded sigh. “I... It is something that I do not wish to talk about. Maybe someday. Not tonight.” She lowered her gaze to the grass in front of her and focused on a sole blade, pensively thinking about the harsh memories that she could recall. “Please do not ask this of me again in the future.”

An uncomfortable silence permeated the space between them, Luna’s gaze still focused on the ground while Twilight’s vision rested on the Moon and stars filling the expansive void of the sky. The unicorn laid there, noticing her companion’s mood shifting to that of brooding, and came up with an idea of how to uplift it.

“The stars are amazing, aren’t they?” Luna jerked her head up towards Twilight. “On clear nights like this, I always enjoy setting up my telescope on the balcony, and just let myself become lost while stargazing. I’ve got countless books filled with star charts as a result of it too, I’d say that it’s my favorite thing to do at night. It is really easy to just get wrapped up in it, until the rising of Celestia’s sun heralds in a new day.” Twilight reached out a single hoof towards the night sky, as if trying to capture a star.

“When I first saw Celestia raise the sun as a filly, I thought to myself ‘I want to do that!’ It’s what got me so interested in magic in the first place. After I had been her student for about a year, she got me a telescope, and I started to spend most of my nights just looking at the stars, wondering to myself what it took to create them. The mystery behind it all captivated me, heart and soul. When I learned that it was you who had done so one night, I decided that I wanted to meet you and ask you so many questions.” Twilight let out a sigh and let her hoof rest on the ground once more.

“Of course, later on I learned that only you and your sister held the ability to manipulative the stars, although it didn’t keep me from trying to anyways!”

“That is... a most amusing thought, a filly trying to move my stars.” Luna let out a low rumbling chuckle. “It is nice to know that there are those who find such enjoyment in my night sky now. Back then... almost all ponies used the setting of the sun to end their day, and none bothered to look up before wrapping themselves in their sheets until they rose with the sun the next day.”

“If you would like, perhaps I could teach you more about the stars? I am sure that Celestia would be fine with me taking some time out occasionally, and seeing my few friends in Ponyville. She brings this quaint town up almost daily when we talk; she is very fond of it. However, do not let her know that I said that, I think she might become slightly embarrassed should such a thing get out.”

Luna’s simple question left Twilight speechless momentarily, not having expected to hear such an offer. As her brain caught up to the conversation, she quickly got up to her hooves in joy, glad to be able to have the chance to learn under the one pony who knew more than anyone else. “Yes! Yes! Yes! That would be amazing Luna! We could throw a small party with the girls in the library when you visited, spend some time together with everyone, and then do some stargazing afterwards.”

“Your enthusiasm is most welcome, Twilight, I’ll ask Celestia about it when I return to the castle then. Now come, it is time for us to continue our charade with the foals!” Luna rose to her hooves and walked back towards the center of town, Twilight close on her heels.

18 months ago

Luna had just arrived in Ponyville for her visit with Twilight. The sun was still a few hours from setting, as she had been somewhat bored and decided to leave Canterlot early. She raised a hoof and firmly knocked on the stout wooden door.

"Come in!" A muffled voice called out from somewhere inside. Luna found the door to be unlocked and simply walked into the tree, greeted by the voluminous amount of books lining the shelves of the bookcases all over the room. She meandered her way through the interior until she found Twilight hard at work at the kitchen table, numerous books, jewelry and gems strewn about the surface. She looked up at the sound of the hoofsteps and immediately shot up.

"Oh, hi, Luna! You're here rather early, just give me a minute to wrap this up." Twilight began to tidy the area, bookmarking her place in the volumes before closing and setting them in a neat stack on one edge of the table before moving on to putting the rest of the table’s contents in a box. Luna took note of some of the titles adorning the books, Enchanting and You Vol 2 : Binding Spells to Gems and The Magical Properties of Precious Metals sticking out the most.

“No problem at all, Twilight. I found myself rather bored after attending court today with Tia, and she suggested I take an early reprise and make my way over. What were you doing that I interrupted?”

“Oh, I’ve been reading up on how to imbue metal and gems with enchantments. Ever since Dash and I decided to give the two of us a shot, I’ve been spending a fair amount of time at her place. I’m getting rather tired of constantly casting the cloudwalking spell, so I decided to research alternative methods, and it seems enchanting is the best method to go with. I’m just having problems with where to draw a power source from. Anytime I use my magic, it simply cuts off as soon as I end the flow.”

“Ah, so you’re trying to replicate enchanting? It is a most difficult magic, and I can see why you are having problems with where to draw a power source from. Tell me Twilight, do you know how the Night Guards come to appear as they do while they wear their armor?”

“Enchantments, right? I haven’t looked in depth at the armor worn by either guard, but I know they do have illusions weaved into them, as well as some physical enhancements. Cloud walking should be child’s play compared to those, yet I cannot get it to hold!”

“Ah, yes, that particular enchantment is much easier than the strength augmentation that me and Tia use. However, the main reason why the enchantments remain upon the armor once we cut the flow of the spell is because of the source of the spell. Rather than drawing upon our internal magical pools, which would almost surely end in failure should we attempt the enchantment, we draw upon another source, that of the sun and moon. Each pony’s magic is unique and personal to that pony, and, as such, trying to leave it within another object is guaranteed to simply end in failure. However, the celestial bodies are for everypony, Tia and I simply act as the custodians, if you would.”

“So, if you need a power source that is external, since an internal one does not work... Hmm...” Twilight began rambling off concepts, theories, and thoughts at a pace that even the most talented unicorn scribe would have an issue keeping up with. Luna allowed herself to laugh at the antics of the librarian in front of her as a cascade of words continued to pour forth from her friend. There was something about these situations that she always took enjoyment from, the sheer enthusiasm exuding from the mare was nigh contagious.

Twilight continued on her monologue for another minute or so, until she raised her volume, her tone that of a foal that had just received a gift on their birthday that they had been pining for. "Ah ha! I've got it! Luna, you've read my friendship reports, right?" She asked the lunar alicorn, her undertones carrying a challenging hint among her words.

"Yes, I have read them all. Most fascinating things, they really helped me out early on, and some of the things you and your friends got into I almost couldn't believe. What of them?"

"Well, recall one report that had an incident concerning all of Ponyville, a doll, and a slightly forbidden spell that I accidentally cast? Well, looking at what I remember of that spell, it started out using me as the source and the doll as the target. However, once I cut off my magic, the spell continued on. I'm sure that the answer to sustaining an enchantment can be found in the skeins of that specific spell, which I should then be able to extrapolate and reproduce with cloud walking, as well as any other magic I might think of." Twilight exclaimed with the biggest grin on her face imaginable, still riding out the high of her brainstorm session combined with finding the answers needed to solve her questions.

"Indeed, you're on to something there Twilight. The spell was designed to do such a thing, and, you must not mention this to Tia, it was actually created by her. Back during the more... tumultuous times, before things settled down and peace reigned, this spell was heavily used against many races. In order to keep casualties at a minimum, she and I spent many a long nights trying to design spells meant to disrupt and cause disorder so that we could simply march in, and force a surrender while they were still attempting to recover." Twilight's eyes got larger than ever, intently focused on Luna as she told the origin of the spell that she had managed to turn a whole town upside down with.

"Well, that is when we first found out that the environment had ambient magic simply laying around, unused. By changing the spell slightly, we could use our personal supply as a jump start of sorts, that would then cause the spell to start pulling from the ambient source surrounding it. This allowed us to sustain spells, albeit smaller ones, without having to constantly focus or tax ourselves. I will admit, it was a most humorous sight when we first dropped an erotica novel enchanted with the Want-It Need-It spell among a force of our enemies. Even now Tia gets a laugh when I mention that to her!" Luna broke down laughing to herself while Twilight simply stared at her, dumbfounded.

"So... the first application of a brand new spell was on an erotica novel?" Twilight's left eye had a slight twitch to it as her brain finally caught back up and finished processing the information Luna had given it. "And... I'm looking to use part of that same spell for an item that will let me spend more time with Dash... Remind me not to let her know about that if I get this bracelet to work." She shuddered somewhat as the twitch in her eye began to fade away as she brought a single hoof up to her face in a sigh.

Luna had offered to point out the specific section of the spell that Twilight needed, however the unicorn was adamant that she wanted to find it for herself. The alicorn simply sat back and watched Twilight work for the next hour, answering the occasional question or confirming an inquiry that was directed her way. Eventually, a single bracelet of silver rested upon the table, a ruby magically inlaid in the center framed by an amethyst on either side.

"Congratulations Twilight, you have just achieved something that few unicorns have managed to accomplish in our history. I am sure my sister will be most proud to know of your accomplishments. Now come, it is time for me to raise the moon, and the stars await."

~{B}~{O}~{W}~{T}~{N}~

The radiance slowly faded from Luna's horn, the spell coming to an end with the conclusion of the memories it deemed relevant. How ironic that she should be shown that second scene, as it was another variation on the Want-It Need-It spell. She had wanted to replicate her niece's Love spell, and this was the closest she could come to replicating it. Its purpose was to draw out the memories related to the emotions of the target and let them relive those pivotal moments that the individual in question had with another potential pony.

Thinking back to what had been brought to the surface, Luna began to sort through it. Twilight had always impressed her from the start, after having saved her from the brink of madness, and even though her obligations had ended there, one time after another she kept going out of her way. That evening she had noticed the effect mentioning the exile had brought about, and almost immediately reversed the mood, something that Tia herself struggled to do during that time.

She was always so intuitive with magic; an expert at picking it apart and making something new from the parts. Only herself and Celestia could stand above the unicorn in those regards, and in all honesty Luna saw Twilight as more of an equal than that of her sister's pupil. The only distinguishing factor was that they were alicorns, and her a unicorn.

The warmth that she felt being around her friend was something that she treasured dearly, and held close to her, a comfort in such a changed world. Ever since they started corresponding with each other, the alicorn looked forward to each letter more than anything else.

Amazed at how something so complicated could be boiled down to such simple matters, it all became clear to her. At some point, Twilight had become more than a friend. It scared her, no doubt of that, yet at the same time it was exhilarating to know. She was also amazed at how she hadn't seen the signs that had been left for her. It seemed that the unicorn had been crushing on her for quite some time; it had simply taken copious amounts of cider to finally have her bring it out into the open.

Her mind made up, Luna took flight into the night, noticing that roughly an hour had passed during her reflections. She hoped that Twilight had not worked herself into a worry, as she had been so taken aback that she had definitely not left on the best of terms for the sometimes fragile minded unicorn. The moon framed her silhouette as she flew at a quick pace back to the library, the return trip only taking half the time it had previously.

Lightly landing upon the balcony she had fled from earlier, she found the doors closed yet unlocked. Quietly opening them, the sight that greeted her tore at her heart slightly. Some of the star chart books appeared as if they had been thrown across the room as they sat upon the floor haphazardly. The telescope had been brought in, and rested in a corner of the room, and the unicorn that Luna now held much dearer to her was collapsed upon the floor, a lone damp pillow supporting her face. It seemed that at some point Twilight had let unconsciousness take her, and again Luna felt some guilt at the state she was in.

Luna called upon her magic to straighten up the room, levitating Twilight as gently as possible onto the mattress, and under the covers. She replaced the tear soaked pillow with a fresh one, and cleaned the room quickly, managing to not wake the mare up during the five minutes it took to ensure everything was in place.

Even though she wanted to let Twilight know her fears were unfounded, it was far too late to wake the unicorn now, and she was also beginning to feel the fatigue of an emotionally draining day and evening finally taking its toll upon her. Gently getting onto the bed next to Twilight, on top of the covers, she draped one wing across the blanketed body of the target of her newfound affection before whispering a few choice words.

"Goodnight, love..."

~{B}~{O}~{W}~{T}~{N}~

Author's Note:

Combined these chapters, but keeping the notes in 2 parts for now. Somewhat lengthy!

Author’s Note : My editors are probably going to hate me for this, but posting up the first half of this chapter now. Due to slamming my head against the brick wall that was this flashback, it ate into both my time and the Delete key a lot. I am still not completely happy with this scene, however for the sake of getting more content to y’all I am putting this up while I move on with the rest of what I had planned for this chapter. A big thanks as always to Peppy and Jekyll, and I also have a new editor on board, guy is like an English professor. Thefirewarde, he kindly offered his services, and expect some updated versions of what is currently up in the future thanks to his insight. All I got for y’all ladies and gents, till next time, and as always, I hoped you enjoyed this!

Editor’s Note : Your editors do hate you for this! Hate Hate Hate Hate Hat Hat Hat Cat... What was I saying? Oh yeah, posting before editing. It wasn’t bad, so all is well. I just have to wonder, are you running low on commas? I’ve got some to spare, here take a few. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
We good? Ok, q97randomguy out.

P.S. - Fuck Old English!

Part 2 (18 mo flashback to end) Notes

Author's Note : Well, flashbacks are now over, I hope that this one finds itself at a slightly higher quality than the previous, I did not encounter any brick walls this time around thankfully! D'awww mode has been activated, from here on out events should start picking up at a slightly faster pace now that I have laid out the majority of the groundwork I wanted to get out. Humor and some serious D'awwws should be expected next, as well as some actual TwiLuna progression! As always, comments and feedback are much appreciated, and a thanks yet again to my editors!

Editor's Notes:

Okay, done. Nothing to major on my end, just a few misspellings here and there. On to the story itself. We have some d’aw’s here, not to mention the setup for a deliciously awkward morning. That ends chapter 2, see you guys later. Jekyll, signing off.

Cheese and crackers. That is all. Also relationshipping. Better than UPS by far. Have fun! Peppy out~!

World building. World building is my addiction. This chapter had world building and I loved that.