• Published 16th Dec 2012
  • 25,242 Views, 966 Comments

Becoming One With the Night - Spacecowboy



[NOW COMPLETE][Sequel Published] Twilight and Luna uncover some of Celestia's hidden secrets as they explore their budding relationship

  • ...
52
 966
 25,242

Intermission 2 - Pinkie...Shy?

Pinkie was on her way back from Zecora's hut in the Everfree. Twilight and the rest of her friends had tried talking her into moving into Ponyville itself, but the zebra sage insisted on staying in the forest, as it was more convenient to gather herbs that way.

Pinkie bounced along the path, singing happily. In her pack were spices from Zecora. Oh, I can't wait to try these on vanilla cupcakes, the flavors should blend perfectly! Either that, or some rainbow sauce. Those could go well together! Pinkie paused and stopped her song, listening intently. A pained chirp from off the path reached her ears.

Cautiously straying off the path, the noise grew louder as she closed on the source. A robin laid in the roots of an old oak tree. One wing was flapping uselessly at its side at an awkward angle. The bird noticed her and fell silent, fearfully staring up at her.

"Oh, you poor thing! I know just the pony to take you to!" Pinkie exclaimed, slowly moving closer to the bird, who hopped away from her. "Hey now, stop that, silly! I'm going to take you to Fluttershy, she'll know how to fix you up!" At the pegasus' name, the bird looked at Pinkie, then turned its head in the direction of Fluttershy’s cottage. “Would you look at that? Even the birdies love Fluttershy.” She pointed at it accusingly. “But not as much as I do. You got that?” The bird chirped softly. “All right then. Let’s go.”

Pinkie carefully laid down next to the bird and helped it onto her back. After it was resting on her back, she went back to the path. A few minutes later, the trees thinned out as she exited the forest. Rather than starting towards Ponyville, Pinkie angled off towards Fluttershy’s.

After a few minutes, her destination was in sight. Outside there was a flurry of activity, with animals on the ground, in the surrounding trees, and on the roof. Fluttershy was flitting between them all, pausing briefly here and there to ‘talk’ with an animal for a few moments before moving on to another.

Pinkie paused to watch her work. She really has some sort of glow around her when she works with animals. I’m so happy that she passed her veterinary certifications last year. A sharp chirp broke her from her thoughts. “Oh, sorry there! Got caught up in my thoughts. Let’s get you to Flutters!”

Fluttershy noticed her arrival and smiled widely. Ever since Rarity had begun seeing Applejack, Fluttershy had ended up with a lot of free time that Pinkie had stepped in to fill.

She waved a hoof at the approaching mare. “Hi, what brings you by?” Pinkie carefully dipped her shoulder and revealed the injured bird on her back, making Fluttershy gasp. “Oh my, the poor thing! Pinkie, put him in on the table please. I need to go get the supplies.” She disappeared into the cottage.

Pinkie walked inside moments after the pegasus, the sounds of Fluttershy rooting through cabinets reached her ears. Walking next to the table, she carefully bent her knees to allow the robin to climb down to it. With her charge safely transferred, she stepped back as Fluttershy entered the room, medical supplies balanced on the top of each wing.

“What do you need me to do, Flutters?” Pinkie asked, staying out of her way.

Fluttershy placed the supplies on the table surface as she thought about what her friend could do. “Well, if you don’t mind, could you go fill up a small bowl with water and bring it here? After that, there’s a small feeder in the shed. Could you get that next?” She began inspecting the robin’s wing.

Pinkie walked to the kitchen, while Fluttershy soothed the bird. Opening a cabinet, she carefully grabbed a bowl with her mouth, holding it under the tap at the sink. She filled the bowl and brought it to the pegasus, then left outside for the feeder.

Weaving her way through the animals outside, Pinkie opened the shed doors and looked around for the feeder that Fluttershy had mentioned. Various foods for different animals were stored on the numerous shelves. A small freezer in the back held the little bit of meat that was occasionally required. She finally saw the feeders which were hanging from pegs in the back. Trying to not step on anything, she carefully picked her way across and grabbed one.

Pinkie walked back in as Fluttershy was splinting the wing, carefully holding a small piece of formed wood along the major bone running the length of it. Securing the splint to the wing with some bandages, she carefully wrapped it with gauze, then tied the wing to the robin’s side.

She watched in fascination as Fluttershy worked, enjoying seeing the pegasus in her comfort zone. She’s so amazing when she works! The way the sunlight highlights her mane, it’s beautiful, just like her... Beautiful? Fluttershy was quietly talking to the robin, her work mostly done as she set up the food and water for her newest charge. Yeah, I’d say that fits. Oh, I know! I should have a party, just her and me! It’d be so much fun!

“Pinkie, why are you smiling? Good thoughts?” Fluttershy giggled at Pinkie’s far off gaze as the mare was startled from her reverie.

Pinkie joined her in laughter, “Yes, it’s a very good thought. Party!” She grinned and wrapped a foreleg around Fluttershy’s shoulder. Leaning in, she quietly whispered in her friend’s ear, “I was thinking this. My party cannon, your cottage, the two of us, right now!”

Fluttershy let out a quiet ‘meep.’ “T-that’d be a good idea...” A faint blush crept across her cheeks.

Pinkie removed her leg and looked at her, with a gentle smile. “You know Flutters,” her blush intensified, “you look really cute when you blush!” Pinkie nuzzled her cheek in a more than friendly manner.

As she pulled back, Fluttershy’s mane fell in front of her eyes, hiding her from Pinkie. Oh, oh my... Did she just?

“Flutters?” Pinkie quietly asked, breaking her from her thoughts.

A hoof moved her mane from her eyes, Pinkie’s face filling her vision. Another ‘eeep’ escaped her. They stood there silently,the moment stretching on forever.

In a rare act of initiative, Fluttershy surprised Pinkie. She moved forward, bumping their noses together as their lips gently met. Pinkie’s eyes widened in surprise, then slowly closed as she leaned into the kiss.

Fluttershy suddenly pulled away and hopped back, crimson staining her yellow coat. “O-oh my... I’m sorry Pi—”

She cut her off with a hoof, gently resting it on the mare’s lips. “That’s okay, Flutters. I liked it! Now we really need to have a party!”

Finding some resolve, Fluttershy looked up into her eyes. “I’d like that.”

~{B}~{O}~{W}~{T}~{N}~

Author's Note:

Author’s Note - Have some backstory, that is meant to be more cute than anything I suppose. This pairing is extremely rare, the only story I can recall with it is Applejinx’s series (Mature rated, clopfic series that adds plot as it progresses). It does make for a rather cute pairing however.

Some backstory for how they came to be in here is in order, I suppose. As I was writing the first party scene (It’s been two months already? Wow, how time flies!) I was getting some input from one of my editors. I had planned to use the RareJack pairing already, however I was trying to come up with some background relations for Pinkie and Fluttershy. I mean, after all this time, everyone except perhaps Fluttershy should’ve had some history as far as love goes. He suggested putting them together, and thus the rare pairing came to be.

Hope you all enjoyed this, the next chapter is now in the works. Expect world building, to the line of what happened to Luna and Celestia’s parents. Also, some more Twilight and Luna time, the most important part!

Editor’s Note - Who else loves the meta? I love the meta. I’m out. *Not going to be wordy all the time.*