• Published 16th Dec 2012
  • 25,242 Views, 966 Comments

Becoming One With the Night - Spacecowboy



[NOW COMPLETE][Sequel Published] Twilight and Luna uncover some of Celestia's hidden secrets as they explore their budding relationship

  • ...
52
 966
 25,242

Chapter 13 - Party Time

Celestia and Luna sat down inside the living room on the second floor of the library, coffee cups being placed on a table in front of them as Twilight joined the sisters. "So, welcome to Ponyville again?" Twilight jokingly asked, unsure of where to start the conversation.

They both giggled slightly at the joke, Celestia bringing the cup of coffee under her nose and inhaling deeply. "Ah, medium roasted blend of imported Gryphonia brew, if you were only able to recall one thing during my visit, this would be it... Wait, and the cake recipe you learned from Pinkie Pie. Mustn't forget that!"

This time is was Twilight's turn to laugh at her former mentor. Even now, she still knows how to calm me down when I'm nervous. "So, Luna, Celestia, as you know, tonight we're just going to have a small get together here at the library. The girls and Spike will be joining us in a few to go ahead and set up for it."

"That sounds wonderful, Twilight. It is always a pleasure to spend time with our friends when we visit Ponyville. I am most gladdened that we can now do so more often." Luna warmly said, a sad look beginning to come into her eye. "Now, if only we could escape living where we work. The nobles are most annoying, and Tia still won't let me deal with them in my own way. It would be most nice to not have to put up with them at all hours."

Celestia gave her sister a knowing smile while the three of them simply sat together, enjoying the freshly brewed coffee. "So, Luna," Twilight began after a slight lull in the conversation, "I was reading one of the entries in your journal on dream magic you lent me. It had a large note protruding from a certain page, so I couldn't help but be drawn to it." Twilight playfully claimed.

Luna's face was one of confusion at first, however it was quickly replaced by a look of dawning horror. "What is it, Luna?" Celestia asked her curiously.

"Sister," Luna began, a pregnant pause hung in the air before she continued, "do you recall when I first tried looking in on your dreams?" Celestia pursed her lips in thought for a few moments, recalling the specific memory. A look of dawning comprehension bloomed across her face, with a mix of pity thrown in. "Indeed, it was that specific dream. To think, your actions nearly made me want to outlaw carnival clown ponies."

Twilight kept bouncing between looking at Luna and Celestia before deciding what to say. "I thought that you were joking when you mentioned that, Luna!" She paused for a moment, her eyes lighting up. "So, did you write down Pinkie's dream too? I couldn't find it anywhere in that book and thought maybe you had another for after your return."

Both sisters snorted, coffee threatening to vacate through their noses. Celestia beat her sister to talking. "Nay, Twilight. When she informed me of what occurred, we both decided it was best that such things never made their way to paper. We didn't think anypony could read it and keep their sanity intact. Any mortal pony would've lost their mind."

Twilight simply laughed at her reply, a certain memory coming to the forefront of her mind. "That reminds me of when I attempted to figure out her 'Pinkie Sense.' That poor machine was never the same." She finished off her coffee, letting out a satisfied sigh. "I was pretty neurotic that day, too, as a result of it all. Then again, I had a tendency to overreact and freak out over, well, anything then. I don't even recall how many times I had an... episode over thinking you'd send me back to magic kindergarten!"

They all shared a healthy laugh, then the conversation began once more, heading towards more mundane matters. Midway through discussing how well their new schedule was working out, Celestia snuck a glance towards her belongings, a certain box coming to mind. "Sister, do you mind if I borrow Twilight for a few? I have something that I would like to talk to her about."

Luna arched a brow for a moment, before nodding her reply. "Sure, Tia. I suppose that I could find my way to the cake while you converse with Twilight." She chuckled as Celestia's eyes bulged at the mention of Luna eating the cake. "I jest, do not worry about the cake. I'm certain I can find a book downstairs to entertain myself with for a short time." She stood up, quickly stretching her back.

A knock at the door echoed to the second floor as Luna was about to speak once more. "Oh, I completely forgot the time!" Twilight exclaimed, noticing that it was well after noon. "That's most likely Rarity and Applejack, they were going to come by early and bring the cider and help set up. Give me a minute, Celestia?" Twilight began to make for the door, her eyes set on her friend.

"The Apple's famous cider? I do believe I can wait on that, what I have to say can wait until later." She gave Luna a glance. "Care to have some fun, Lulu?" Celestia asked, a mischievous glint in her eye.

Luna rushed past Twilight, quickly getting in front of her. "Excuse me, Twilight, but I think Tia and I shall answer the door." She quickly shot a question to Celestia. "Annoying Nobles, or Hangover Payback?"

Celestia gave a chuckle as they got to the door and readied to open it. "Hangover Payback. Yes, definitely that one." They open the library door and saw Rarity and Applejack as they both took in a deep breath.

"GOOD AFTERNOON APPLEJACK AND RARITY! IT IS NICE TO SEE YOU TWO ONCE MORE!" Blasted the sisters, Twilight holding onto the nearest sturdy object as her feet swayed underneath her and the library shook.

"My... ears..." Were the first words Twilight heard from the two mares, Rarity being the one to talk. Applejack stood next to her, sitting on her haunches after being blasted by the two sisters use of the Royal Canterlot Voice. Applejack shook her head side to side, then rested her vision on Rarity.

"Rares," She began, laughing to herself, "I think you should be more concerned about your mane, sugarcube." She pointed her hoof at the mane in question as the two laughing sisters stopped for a moment to look at Rarity, before breaking out into laughter once again.

A nervous twitch developed in Rarity's right eye as she reached a hoof to touch the edge of her mane. Feeling that something was out of place, she bolted into the library without a word, making a beeline for the closest bathroom and mirror. Applejack and Twilight both joined the sisters in laughter as a door slammed shut inside.

"Ah, it truly is good to see you once more, Applejack. I hear you were bringing along some cider before setting up for a party?" Luna questioned, moving to the side so that Applejack could step inside.

"Ah sure am, it's right outside as a matter of fact." She turned to face Celestia, tilting her hat in respect. "And good afternoon to ya, Princess. It's real nice to see ya when we're not having to go running off willy nilly on some quest to save Equestria."

Celestia let out a laugh, "I can imagine, it's nice to be able to come to Ponyville to simply visit for once and take a break. It's something that I've neglected for far too long." Luna squealed as she noticed the cart that awaited unloading outside. Not only were there two casks of cider, but numerous covered trays of what could only be homecooked food lay in the cart.

"Sister, I do believe we must do some, quality checking? Yes, some quality checking of our dear friend Applejack's cooking! It would do no good to serve our guests food that we have yet to thoroughly vet ourselves, after all!" Luna exclaimed as she made for a covered tray. More laughter rang out from inside as Twilight moved between Luna and the food.

Luna's face fell as Twilight entered her vision, blocking the apple treats. "Not these, they're for the party, Luna." Twilight scoldingly said, taking Luna aback. "However," she began, a smile now on her face, "once you help me bring these inside, I have an apple pie that I picked up this morning for us to have for lunch."

Celestia and Applejack watched in amusement as Twilight expertly manipulated Luna into helping bring the food and ale inside. "To think, I never taught her the so-called 'game' of politics, yet she's an expert." She voiced her thoughts, curiousness evident in her tone. "I wonder, if we taught her, maybe she could put those annoying nobles in their places..."

Applejack took a moment to process what Celestia had said. "Well, even if ya did, Princess, ah doubt Twilight would want to leave Ponyville, and somethin tells me that them annoyin nobles wouldn't leave Canterlot for nothin." Celestia came out of her thought at Applejack's words, a chuckle making its way to her lips.

"So very, very true, Applejack. And I would never force her from such a place, either."

A door opening and closing heralded the return of Rarity, her recently disheveled mane proper once more. "I dare say, Princess, I would expect such a prank from Rainbow or Pinkie, but never from you or Princess Luna."

Celestia put on an expression of pain as she looked Rarity in the eye. "Why, your accusation that my sister and I are boring sting, whatever shall we do?" She gently laughed as Rarity began sputtering.

Luna and Twilight walked in, the last of the refreshments set aside for the upcoming evening. Between them a pie, already cut into sections, plates and silverware rested in their magic. "The cake is a lie, all you need is pie!" Luna exclaimed to her sister.

"The cake is not a lie, however, the calorie count is..." Celestia angrily muttered to herself before turning her attention to Luna. "Pie it is! It will be nice to have such fare fresh, our cooks still can't replicate the taste of fresh Apple Pie from your farm, Applejack."

The five mares all received a piece of pie and sat down in the living room, chatting about small things before moving on to start preparing for the evening's festivities.

~{B}~{O}~{W}~{T}~{N}~

A knock sounded out at the library door, taking Twilight by surprise. Rainbow Dash had been the last planned arrival, arriving not even ten minutes ago. The sun was low on the horizon, but the festivities hadn't kicked off just yet.

"Oh, Twilight. I believe I forgot to mention that I might have invited one or two ponies as a, hrmm, surprise, of sorts." Celestia spoke, leaving Twilight baffled as she walked to the door. After opening it, before she even had a chance to speak she was smothered by two ponies.

"Ah, our Twilight! Look how you've grown, an adult and all on your own now. We're so proud of you!"

"What your mother said, Twilight. It's nice to see you again young lady, we've been so busy lately I can't believe we couldn't make time before this to come by."

Celestia smiled as Twilight found herself speechless as she held the embrace with her parents. It's a shame they're always so busy, an astronomer and an archeologist. Still, not too busy when their bosses receive a letter from me, personally. She quietly snickered as she enjoyed the reunion.

Twilight eventually found her voice as she separated from her parents. "Mom, dad! Ohmygosh! It's so nice to see you two again!" Twilight felt her mind split in different directions as thoughts filled her head. Acting on the first one that made its way to the top of her head, she got the attention of her friends who were all watching already.

"Girls, meet my parents! My mom, Velvet Twilight, is an astronomer, and my dad, Crescent Dusk, is an archeologist!" Spike waved at her parents as all five mares stared, momentarily stunned at the meeting.

"Darling, I must say, this is not what I was expecting when we finally met your parents. I had expected, well..." Rarity trailed off, not able to voice her thought, although Twilight quickly picked up on it.

"What, you were expecting two bookish ponies, noses buried in literature all times of the day?" Twilight asked Rarity, laughing.

"I'm afraid you can blame her being a bibliophile on me. We used to take her to the library in the afternoons when she was still just a little foal. After she set her sights on being the best at magic, well, the first place she went to was the library, and that was all she wrote." Velvet spoke, smiling nostalgically. "Still, I think we did a good job of raising our filly, and once we started getting busy once she was older, Princess Celestia became somewhat of a second mother for her."

"Ah think you sure did a good job, Twilight is one of the best friends a pony could ask for!" Applejack chimed in, moving forward to greet Velvet.

Pinkie stood there, mouth wide open as greetings were about to be exchanged. Before anypony could speak, however, she let out a loud gasp. "OH MY GOSH!" Her traditional glint appeared in her eyes as she began to bounce in place. "Do you know what this calls for? A PARTY!"

Everypony was quiet for a moment, then laughter rang out through the library. "Pinkie, darling. I'm certain you've already noticed this, but, let me remind you that we're here for a party already." Rarity spoke, amusement evident in her voice as further laughter was exchanged.

"Oh, then I need to change the banner!" Pinkie disappeared for a brief moment, before reappearing in the exact same position and in the same pose. "There, alls done!"

"What, huh, what did–"

Twilight cut her father off. "Dad, we just chalk it up to being Pinkie Pie. Don't bother trying to figure it out, I spent weeks and weeks on it, and I still don't have an answer for it."

As Velvet moved forward to meet and greet the rest of Twilight's friends, Crescent remembered something and rested a hoof on Twilight's shoulder, quietly speaking to her. "Twilight, I just want to let you know just how proud your mom and I are of you. You've accomplished so much, and it seems that you've finally found those friends we always wanted you to have." They hugged tightly, her father continuing to speak. "I know we haven't been able to really visit or spend any time together like we should, and I'm truly sorry about that."

Twilight shushed her dad, a large smile on her face. "I know dad, I've been following all your reports. I asked Celestia to send me what you were sending in so I could read it as soon as possible. Plus, learning about Pre-Discordian artifacts is very interesting."

"I know, but still... it's my prerogative to feel guilty about it as a parent. I mean, it's taken us five years to meet these wonderful friends of yours." His smile turned serious as he took a quick look around. "Your mother and I will be visiting for today and tomorrow. We need to sit down and talk about your new relationship with this mystery pony, Twily."

"Dad! You know only Shiny can call me that!" She smiled, noticing her mom was thoroughly engaged in talking with her friends now. "And can we talk about that tomorrow? Please?"

"That's fine, we just need to have a sit down with you about it–" Crecent began to reply, cutting himself off as Rarity came up to them.

"Indeed, I do think I can make something better than this, Mrs. Velvet! I'm glad you talked him out of plaid today, I would've probably fainted at such an affront to fashion!" Rarity exclaimed, sizing Crecent up with her eyes. "Yes, even though more standard clothing isn't my normal fare, I can make an exception for any family of Twilight!"

Twilight backed away from Crescent, laughing with her mother as her father was subjected to Rarity's fashion episode. "He still wears those awful plaid shirts, mom?" Velvet nodded in reply, tears running down her cheeks as her husband was unable to get a single word to the fashionista.

Once she was assured she had the measurements right, Rarity backed off. "I'll have something made up tomorrow, Mrs. Velvet. I'm absolutely certain you'll love it!" She looked around at the gathered ponies who were still snickering to themselves. "Ah..." Rarity looked around nervously.

Pinkie saved her as she bounced further into the library. "It's party time! I gotta go change the banner though, my senses didn't pick up meeting parents!" She disappeared up the stairs, leaving everypony else behind. "Well, what are you all waiting for, come on upstairs!" Pinkie exclaimed from the doorway of the library entrance, causing all but Twilight and her friends to jump in surprise. Pinkie bounced back up the stairs.

"Before you go an ask, it's just Pinkie bein Pinkie, not much more ah can say about that." Applejack bluntly said, shrugging her shoulders and making her way to the stairs. Luna distinctly shuddered as the rest of the ponies began to move upstairs.

A knock at the door caused Twilight, who was the last one in line, to pause. "I'll get it, be up in a minute or two." She turned around and headed back for the door, checking for any signs of pink. Opening it, pink greeted her eyes. "Cadance!"

Once more, Twilight found herself grasped in an all-encompassing hug as her sister surrounded her with two hooves. Cadance whispered into her ears while they hugged. "I approve, Twilight. Good thing I never thought of her as auntie, huh?" She giggled into Twilight's ear as they pulled apart.

"It's good to see you, and– Shiny!" Twilight exclaimed, happy to see both her brother and sister once more.

"Ha, good to see that I still exist! For a moment there, I thought you were ignoring me, Twily." Shining held a hoof to his chest dramatically, widely smiling at Twilight.

Twilight shook her head, returning her brother's smile. "How could I ever forget about my BBBFF? But what are you two doing here, I thought you had business to take care of? Not that I'm complaining, mind!" She quickly added to the end.

They moved inside and closed the door. "Oh, we were supposed to cover a court session for Celestia, but, you know... A weekend visit to our sister is more important than some nobles having a chance to complain on a weekend. They can wait, it might do them some good." Shining said, chuckling.

Twilight gave Shining a quick hug, happiness plastered on her face. "Everypony just went upstairs just as you showed up, even mom and dad came to visit! Tonight is going to be so much fun!"

"Ha, lead the way, little sis." Cadance and Shining followed Twilight through the library to the stairs, where everypony else was already gathered.

~{B}~{O}~{W}~{T}~{N}~

Everypony was gathered upstairs in the living room, the majority of the furniture having found its way to various other rooms. A music player was in one corner, and against another wall was a table filled with refreshments. A keg of Applejack's cider sat tapped and ready to go next to the food, and everypony was currently sitting in a circle in the center of the room. A banner hung in one corner, exclaiming a welcome to the sisters, and added underneath it was a comment regarding Twilight's parents and Cadance and Shining Armor as well.

Twilight spoke first, everypony's attention on her. "Well, thank you everypony for coming tonight! This is the first of hopefully many chances that Celestia and Luna shall have to come and visit us!" She paused briefly, moving her gaze to rest on her former mentor. "Also, I would like to thank you, Celestia. Because of you, all of my family is here, together, for the first time in years now." She bowed her head in thanks as Celestia moved to gently nuzzle her in reply.

"I knew that you and your family would enjoy the chance. Plus, what's family like without some drunken stories to witness and tell to your foals one day?" She gently laughed as a weird look entered Twilight's eyes.

"Eww. Just, no. No foals. Not anytime soon." Twilight shook her head, dispelling the odd look. "Anyhoof, I just wanted to give my thanks to everypony here. I know we're here for a good time, and what I'm saying is something a little more serious, but... everypony here has played a large role in making me the pony I am today. Thank you."

Filled mugs of cider made their way in front of all the gathered ponies, Twilight having done so while all the attention had been on her. Speaking once more, she raised her mug in her hoof, bringing it towards the center of the gathered ponies. "I propose a toast. To friends, to family, to those who make us who we are."

Everypony else grasped their mugs in their hooves, some with misty eyes, and repeated the phrase with Twilight. Everypony took a sip of their cider following the toast, each individual taking a moment to contemplate on the words of the toast itself.

After a few seconds of silence, Pinkie shattered it with a hammer. "It's time to par-tay!" Music suddenly blared to life as confetti rained down upon the gathered ponies, and yet more streamers joined the ones already hung. The banner was suspended near the ceiling in the middle of the room, no longer in its spot in the corner. "Let's get to it!"

~{B}~{O}~{W}~{T}~{N}~

An hour into the party, everypony was thoroughly enjoying themselves, both with the party and to the cider. Twilight saw Luna making her way to the keg and nopony else nearby, so she moved to her marefriend. "Luna, I think it's a good time to tell them." She spoke, surprisingly clear for the amount of cider she had thus far consumed.

"Twilight, can we please wait?" Luna nearly begged, afraid of what Celestia would think when she was told of her newfound relationship with Twilight. "I know you want to tell everypony, or at least our friends, but..." She trailed off, unable to summon the words to voice her fears.

Twilight shook her head. "No, Luna, I don't want to keep them in the dark like this. Besides," Twilight quickly looked around them, "Spike's known since the beginning–" She cut off as Luna lowered an eyebrow at her. "Oh, come on. He's quiet when he wants to be. The morning we slept in, he walked in on us asleep. It was pretty obvious, even to him."

Twilight glanced around the room before continuing. "Rarity and Fluttershy also already know, I'm almost positive Pinkie is aware too, because, well, she's Pinkie. Not to mention Cadance... she has probably already figured it out, which could very well mean my brother knows too. There's just no reason to keep our friends and family in the dark. Plus," she quickly swept her hoof to cover the room, "everypony is here at once. This way, we only have to announce it once. I have no issue keeping it from the public, but not our friends and family."

Luna sighed, her nervousness beginning to show. "But, Twi–"

Twilight interrupted Luna as she straightened out and stood tall, then cast a quick spell. Fireworks shot from her horn, erupting with a wide spectrum of colors rather noisily. All attention quickly drew to her as she used her magic to turn down the music.

"Good evening, friends and family. I hope that everypony is enjoying themselves thoroughly! Just know, if that keg runs dry, we have another hidden away!"

Laughter rang out among her friends and family, and Pinkie was heard speaking. "Here here!"

Twilight continued talking, her tongue somewhat loosened by cider. Luna pleadingly looked at her, who pretended not to notice. "It's definitely something we need to do more often, I gotta say! I love you all, you know that?" She waved a hoof lazily across the room, a large smile smeared across her face. "Well, I got something to say that should hopefully make this night even better! I'm dating the night herself, Luna!"

Luna completely froze as Twilight put her on the spot. Oh, the moon is looking really appealing right now. She anxiously thought to herself, uncertain of the reactions of the gathered ponies, and, more importantly, her sister's.

It was so quiet that a pony could hear a needle drop, if one had a needle to be dropped. Celestia was the first to react, a large, booming laugh reaching Twilight's ears. "Oh, Luna! This is the best prank you've pulled!"

Twilight frowned as an idea came to her slightly inebriated mind. "This isn't a joke, I promise you." With her words spoken, she grabbed her frozen marefriend's face with her front hooves and brought her lips closer. Moving in, she kissed Luna with such force and vigor that it shook her from her stupor. She tried to pull back for but a moment, embarrassed at having their secret revealed and confirmed in such a manner, but then gave in to it.

Twilight held Luna there, their lips interlocking with one another as silence filled the air. Luna felt a tongue trying to gain entry to her mouth, and opened her lips to allow it access. The two of them stood there until they ran out of breath, at which point Twilight pulled back, breathing heavily. Only one thing came to Luna's mind, which she accidentally voiced.

"Wow..."

~{B}~{O}~{W}~{T}~{N}~

Author's Note:

Editor hasn't quite gotten to this yet, so I'll be putting up the edited version later. However, I felt living up to my promise of getting a chapter to y'all on Friday and Saturday is a bit more important this time around. Stay tuned, as tomorrow we'll see what all happens next!

As always, a thanks to readers, editors, and anyone else. Three chapters and an epilogue left to go!

P.S. Another plug for my editor. If you haven't yet, check out Paradise Sundered. Well worth the reading, and he's working on the ending of it now.