• Published 16th Dec 2012
  • 25,242 Views, 966 Comments

Becoming One With the Night - Spacecowboy



[NOW COMPLETE][Sequel Published] Twilight and Luna uncover some of Celestia's hidden secrets as they explore their budding relationship

  • ...
52
 966
 25,242

Chapter 8.5 - The Save

A soft surface greeted Twilight's senses as the world slowly began to come into focus. Her thoughts were scattered, her mind in the process of waking up. White swarmed her vision as her eyes slowly opened, sounds of the world around her muffled to her addled senses. I remember... falling. Where am I?

Further blinking brought clarity to her vision, as she slowly took in her surroundings. She was in a whitewashed room, laying in a bed. Raising her head she began to look around the room. Hospital equipment lay to one side against a wall, an intravenous drip was attached to her foreleg, and a steady beeping made itself known from a heart monitor as her hearing returned.

Before she had a chance to really think as to what all of this meant, a unicorn wearing medical scrubs walked into the room. He noticed her alertness and enthusiastically began talking. "Ah, Miss Sparkle! You're awake, wonderful!"

"W-Where am I? What happened? I remember falling..." Her addled mind managed to pull the words together. Her eyes slightly unfocused as she attempted to piece together the puzzle pieces her thoughts were yielding.

"You're in Ponyville General Hospital, Miss Sparkle. You received wounds after falling from a chariot during a storm some ways out of town. You're extremely lucky to be alive right now, honestly." He paused, flipping through some papers. "You suffered seven bruised ribs, a dislocated shoulder and a moderate concussion. Luckily, a weather mare that was off duty managed to reach you, otherwise we probably wouldn't be having this conversation right now." He set the documents down on a table.

"Oh, excuse me. I just realized that I haven't even given you my name yet. I'm Dr. Gauge, and I've been attending you for the last two days you've been here. Now, I need to check your vitals as well as a few other things. Once we do that, you’ll be evaluated to see if you’re good enough to be released.”

Doctor Gauge ran her through a quick series of tests, jotting words down on the paper after each one. Twilight kept quiet throughout the entire process, her clarity quickly coming to her. Wish I had managed to test the application of those wings! It would’ve been useful... Note to self, make that the first— no, second thing I do once I’m out of here. Friends first! Twilight refocused on Dr. Gauge when he stepped back. It looked like the tests were done.

“Well, Miss Sparkle, everything seems to be fine. You’ll need to take it easy for the next few days, but I see no reason for us to keep you here any longer than necessary. I need to step out and prepare your release papers. You have some friends waiting for you in the lobby; I’ll go give them the good news.”

A few moments after the doctor left the room, a new arrival made her entrance known with a knock on the door. “Is this Miss Twilight’s room?” A vibrant yellow head framed by a turquoise mane peeked into the room, looking around. Spotting Twilight, she widely smiled and walked inside. “Ah ha! It is! Good afternoon, Miss Twilight.”

As the pegasus entered the room, Twilight noticed her cutie mark was three raindrops. I’ve seen her a few times before, where at though... Oh, that’s where! “Raindrops, right? You work the weather team here?” Raindrops nodded in confirmation, moving to take a seat next to the bed. “What brings you around?”

“Well, I heard you were awake, so thought I’d sneak on over and come say hi! Plus, I figured you might want to know what happened.” The pegasus shuffled around, exposing her left wing, which was tightly bandaged to her side.

“Sure, I’d like to kn— What happened to your wing?” Twilight began, shifting her focus as she took in the bandaged appendage.

“That’s actually part of the story. It seems that some of the factory workers thought it’d be a great idea to see how quickly they could process the cloud deliveries and it somehow turned into a competition. All would’ve been just fine but... they never turned the machines off when they went on their lunch break. They had put all of the machines into overdrive, and, well... Lots of clouds.” The pegasus raised her hoof to her forehead as she brought it down to meet her hoof. “Stallions.”

Twilight looked up at Raindrops’ joke, and met her gaze. They both broke into easy laughter. Things calmed down quickly as Twilight spoke. “So, I’m guessing the storm we encountered was all the excess clouds?”

“Pretty much. I think they picked up some of the ones that had been put in place across the Ponyville fringes, but the majority came from the factory.” Raindrops paused for a moment, collecting her thoughts. “I was on the outskirts of town enjoying my day off when I noticed the storm. Figured I’d follow it until the emergency teams showed up to deal with it, but then I noticed a bright lavender flash in the middle of it.”

Twilight’s eyes lit up in recognition. “So, you’re the pony who saved me? Thank you very much, Raindrops.” She widely beamed at the pegasus.

Raindrops ran a hoof through her mane. “Eh... It was nothing much really, I just happened to be there... So, I flew in there, and managed to catch up to you and slow you down enough to keep anything from really breaking. I might’ve been able to avoid injuring us completely, but I strained the tendons in my wing as I was trying to pull us up at the end, so we went for a tumble instead.”

“Do you know what happened with the chariot guards? Breeze and Sentinel?”

“Oh, they’re just fine. Apparently they had a harness release lever, and once they realized you’d fallen, they dumped the carriage and tried to get to you. They brought us here, as well as your stuff. I think they left those with your friends.”

Any further conversation ground to a halt as Gauge arrived back in the room. “Well, Miss Sparkl—” He noticed the extra occupant in the room as he looked up from a clipboard. “Miss Raindrops... You could’ve just waited ten more minutes, just like everypony else in the lobby.” He sighed as Raindrops guiltily grinned as she left the room. Gauge shifted his focus back to Twilight. “Anyways, as I was saying, I just need your signature at the bottom of this form here, and you’ll be good to go. Make sure to stop by the pharmacy sometime today; I put in an order of mild painkillers for you in case your ribs hurt too much. The bruising should be gone within the next five days though.”

Twilight gently hopped down from the bed, only a slight twinge greeted her as hooves met the hard floor. She followed the doctor though the maze of corridors, winding and weaving through the halls. Opening the last door for her, Gauge flashed a brief smile in Twilight’s direction.

“I hope it’s a long time before we meet again, in a professional manner.”

Twilight couldn’t help but smile at his joke as she walked into the lobby, where her friends awaited her. She ran up to them, embracing the first one she could reach in a massive hug.

“Girls!”

Author's Note:

So... Decided not to keep you all in the dark as I sloshed through the next chapter, so I wrote this small segue for y'all. Hopefully you enjoy, it was only edited by me this time around, so if you note any errors, feel free to let me know so I can correct them. I'll be starting work on the next chapter in a few days, somehow got side tracked into working on a small project (small for now anyways), after some talking with Archonix and some artwork.

*Coughs* "Troll mode... On!"
Bet you all weren't expecting THIS to be how she was saved, huh? /End trollmode.