• Published 16th Dec 2012
  • 25,257 Views, 966 Comments

Becoming One With the Night - Spacecowboy



[NOW COMPLETE][Sequel Published] Twilight and Luna uncover some of Celestia's hidden secrets as they explore their budding relationship

  • ...
52
 966
 25,257

Chapter 6 - Dreams Coming True

She was floating on Cloud Nine, overlooking the small town of Ponyville. The surface of the cloud was a foreign yet comfortable feel beneath her, soft and squishy, yet firm and only yielding slightly to her hooves. Walking to the edge, the orchards of Sweet Apple Acres spanned countless acres, the lush green leaves accentuated by bright red specks.

One hoof forward, and the bottom of the world fell out from underneath her. The sensation of wind rushing by caressed her every feature, no spot on her body left untouched. Details came into further clarity as the ground approached, eyes critically scanning left and right.

Mere moments from impact, something flared out and caught the air around her, bringing her parallel to the ground as her hooves scraped the earth. With a euphoric shout, she weaved and bobbed through the trees, creating an obstacle course with the vegetation. Adrenaline pumped through her body, causing each second to last an eternity as the unicorn cleared the orchard.

Raising further into the sky, the library and other prominent landmarks of Ponyville grew larger in the distance. The walk that would have taken a quarter hour turned into almost nothing as she cast a shadow onto the outlying houses of the small town. Coming to rest in the town square, her eyes closed as she simply hovered, taking in the warming rays of the afternoon sun.

With a deafening boom, she rocketed upwards. Climbing higher into the sky, nose pointed towards the bright orb above, her speed grew even faster. Reaching forward, a cone of air buffeted her, but could not deter her progress towards the sun. ith a final push, the cone fully formed, the air smoothed out, and she—

Twilight came awake with a gasp as she slingshotted into the conscious world. Her heart rapidly pounded in her chest, attempting to break free of its confines. Wow! It's been a long time since I had a dream about flying. She tried in vain to recapture the feeling. Maybe it's time to pick up my research into making real wings again. Moving the covers aside, she found purchase on the floor as she made her way to the bathroom.

The private bathroom was fancy, more so than the one she used when she last lived here. The shower, which was the focus of her attention, used a complex cloud system to deliver water instead of the traditional showerhead that relied on piping. Finding the controls for it, she turned it on, and soon after an even sheet of water began to fall from above. Finding the temperature to her liking, she hopped in and began washing in preparation for the day to come.

Twilight let out a sigh as she finished cleaning herself. She ended up taking a lot more time than had been planned for the shower, however she didn't regret taking the chance to enjoy herself. With the aid of magic, all of the moisture in her fur was wicked away and formed into a sphere of water, which promptly found its way to the drain. Taking a few minutes to ensure the rest of her morning activities were properly accomplished, she quietly left the room and nearly bumped into Luna.

"Ah, good morning Twilight. Now that you are up, would you care to join me on the way to breakfast? Sister has already made her way down, and is waiting with Rarity, I believe." The alicorn reached down and warmly nuzzled the neck of her love, taking in a deep breath of her freshly washed mane.

Twilight giggled, squirming slightly beneath Luna. "S-Stop that! It tickles!" As the offending nose left her mane, she managed to get the laughter that had been bubbling up back under control.

"Oh, I shall have to recall that for a later time then. I suppose I can acquiesce to your request... For now, since breakfast awaits." A smirk drew across her face, causing the unicorn to gulp out of fear.

"So, uh, breakfast you said? Let's get going, shall we?" Twilight stammered out, attempting to redirect the alicorn's attention from her. I really need to figure out how to make her forget that, sooner rather than later! She started towards the door, Luna beside her. The two walked in relative silence to the same room where dinner had been served, joining the other two occupants.

"—and you'll be meeting them after breakfast, they're there to help you get whatever materials you may need for the fitting this afternoon." Celestia took note of the new arrivals and shifted her attention towards them. "Good morning, Twilight, sister. Care to join us?"

"Good morning, Twilight, darling. And to you as well, Princess Luna." Rarity chimed in, looking alert despite the early hour. A tea cup rested on the table in front of her, its contents steaming.

They returned the greetings and found seats of their own to start breakfast. Twilight poured a cup of tea for both herself and Luna as they awaited the food to make its arrival. Before any conversation could take root, a waiter arrived carrying a tray filled with assorted fruits entered the room. He quietly left after carefully placing his charge at the mercy of the four occupants of the table.

"So, Princess Luna. Does today around lunchtime work for your fitting? I came up with some ideas last night and I am just dying to see how they will look on you!" Rarity exclaimed as she momentarily forgot about the arrival of the food. I finally get a chance to make something for her, and no Twilight to keep her away this time! Oh, the pile of ideas!

"Yes, Rarity, that sounds acceptable to me. I believe that my sister and Twilight shall be occupied with one another, leaving me free for some time. Consider myself under your care this afternoon. I look forward to seeing what your artistic talent has in mind."

Did she just... squee? Shaking off the oddity, Luna focused her attention towards a cored apple, pointedly ignoring the fashionista in favor of staving off her hunger.

Twilight afforded a small laugh at her lover's expense before biting into a piece of mango. She has no idea what she is in store for. If it weren't for this morning, I'd feel bad for her. Giggling some more, she looked towards her former mentor. "What did you want to do this morning, Celestia?"

"Well, I was thinking we could simply take a walk through the gardens to start with. From there, whatever you would like to do, Twilight."

"Okay, I'll think about it then. I've got an idea for what we can do, but you never know when something better might come to mind."

It wasn't much longer until the remainder of the meal made itself known in the form of pancakes with apple syrup. The mares dug in with gusto, foregoing everything else for that taste of paradise. Even Rarity's thoughts of fashion were temporarily put on hold as she savored each golden circle that adorned her plate.

When crumbs were all that remained, each mare finished their meal with another cup of tea. The morning sun had risen some distance into the sky, and Celestia thought it prudent to go ahead and get the day moving.

"Rarity, I believe that Luna will be showing you to the room to meet your helpers. I'm going to go ahead and steal Twilight for a walk. Luna, Rarity, I’ll see you two later, until then have a good morning."

Celestia and Twilight made their way out of the room and began their walk towards the gardens, Rarity and Luna close on their tails. They split up halfway to their destination, the only sounds that of guards saluting as they passed by. Turning a corner, they came to their destination.

The warm summer sun shone down upon the two mares as they entered the gardens of the castle. It was a quiet and tranquil place, the loudest sounds coming from the various animals that claimed it as their home. Even the guard presence was low in this location; it was one of the few retreats allowed to the sisters.

Twilight and Celestia walked the paths, letting their hooves rather than their minds choose the destination. The scent of blooming flowers constantly tickled their senses, the many colors of the garden pleasing to the eye.

The unicorn found that they had wandered into the statue section. One statue in particular caused her to stop. This creature had nearly shattered her world, and even now, years later, it was her most harrowing life experience. However, there was something that had been nagging at her, and she had been unable to voice it.

"Celestia..." Twilight trailed off, unsure of how to approach the subject that had been on the fringes of her mind for so long.

"Yes, Twilight?" The alicorn looked at her friend, Her drooping ears gave her away. She raised a hoof and set it upon her shoulder. “What’s bothering you?”

"Well, I've had this question in my head for some time now. I’ve just never known how to say it..." She still hesitated, unsure if it was the right time to bring such a thing up.

"You know you can ask me anything. I may not be able to provide an answer, even with my experiences I still don't know everything. However, I promise to answer to the fullest extent my knowledge will allow, Twilight. You need not fear any repercussions, that I swear as well."

"Well, when we used the Elements on Discord, it sealed him in stone. And when we used them on Nightmare Moon, it resulted in Luna being brought back. Why did it not restore whoever it was that Discord was born from?"

Celestia inwardly winced after the question was aired. Of all the questions to ask, it had to involve... that. "Well, it is a somewhat... complicated matter. You recall how it is believed that the Elements work by restoring an individual back to a state where they are in harmony with themselves?" Twilight nodded, having done her own extensive research over a weeklong period just last year in an attempt to further decipher any secrets that the Elements contained.

"Well," Celestia began, "Discord never had a point where he was in harmony with himself. He was literally born of the chaos of an... event that occurred sometime in the past. When the Elements were used on him, it actually didn't turn him to stone..." Celestia trailed off.

"What happened to him then? I am fairly certain that they don’t kill anypony, it was really the only rule I managed to find out. Plus, where did the statue come from if he wasn't turned to stone?"

Well, time to take the plunge. I can only blame myself; I opened this door. "Well, when the Elements struck him, it returned him back to where he came from since there was no harmonic state for them to fall back on. In essence, the chaotic energy that comprised his being simply... Dispersed. Discord as we knew him doesn't exist anymore, except as a memory. The statue is simply an empty shell, the energy animating it gone. He was too important to simply forget, which is why we brought it here, no matter how much I might want to..."

The mood in the air stagnated and became heavy, neither mare uttering a word as they both let silence reign. Twilight considered the truth that had been laid bare before her. Well, I suppose that it does make some sense when put that way. Does that mean we 'killed' Discord? And although she answered it, now it raises so many questions...

"Celestia, I think I've decided what we can do next." Twilight shattered the silence as she forced her hooves to carry her away from that awful statue. "I figured we could go to the castle archives."

"Oh, what might you want from that sea of books? Haven't you already read them all?" Twilight, you always try to pick me up when I falter, thank you...

"Well, you see, I had this dream last night..."

~{B}~{O}~{W}~{T}~{N}~

Luna found herself in a sitting room that had been turned into an impromptu fashion studio. Fabrics of all sorts were piled up neatly across three massive tables, and various implements and machines lined an additional two. A small circular stage had been placed in one corner of the room, with a chain of large rectangular mirrors placed against the wall lining up with the curvature of the platform. It is rather impressive that she put all this together in such a short time.

"Ah, good afternoon! Everything is prepared. If you could just please step up onto the platform when you are ready." Rarity was in full fashionista mode, determined to make the best use of every second she had available to her.

"Very well, where will we begin?" Luna queried. Well Twilight, time to see exactly what you always warned me about. She stepped onto the platform as Rarity began manipulating objects around the room in preparation for her work.

"First, I would like to try some color matches. You wouldn't happen to know if you'll have a date for the Gala, do you?" Rarity innocently asked Luna, bringing up a maroon fabric square to compare it against the alicorn's coat.

"Nay, I do not plan on having a date for the Gala, neither my sister nor myself have done so in years. I do not see why this one should be any different." She stated as a matter of fact, unwilling to divulge her secret that easily.

A number of colors danced across her flank as the fashionista continued her comparisons to find the specific material to use for the dress. "Are you certain, Princess Luna?" A new patch floated independently of the rest, coming to focus in front of the alicorn's face. "I would think this color would match your coat quite splendidly, don't you?" She asked deviously.

A lavender cloth sample rested in the center of her vision, its meaning obvious. She turned and focused her gaze upon the unicorn, indignant even as a blush began to betray her. "I do not know what you are playing at, but don't you think our friend Twilight would be mortified at your implications?"

"Oh, I don't know... I think she would possibly enjoy what was being referred to honestly. Ever since she got a taste of romance with Dash, she's just been waiting for the right stallion... or mare, to come sweep her off her hooves. It is a most romantic notion, is it not?" The cloth rejoined its companions as she continued with her task.

Luna's battle to fight back a blush was slowly being lost, the crimson advancing further with every heartbeat. "As romantic as that may sound to you, it is improper to tease your friends in such a manner. Surely you must know this. I ask that you cease these questions before I am forced to enquire as to your... bedroom activities. After all, a princess should know all of the details about her subjects, should she not?"

Rarity was caught off guard by the snarky comeback, memories of just last week coming into her mind as a blush crept across her features. "I must apologize, Princess. You see, I cornered Twilight the morning after your departure when she stopped by. I was able to infer from her good mood what had happened. I truly do wish you two the best, and your secret is safe with me. I Pinkie Promised Twilight."

Luna's jaw opened and closed, yet no words came out. Rarity took the chance to further add to the crimson adorning her victim's cheeks. "Oh, and as the first part of an apology from me, Princess, I have made something that I am most certain you will get a chance to enjoy... Tonight that is." She punctuated her sentence with a lusty tone that assaulted the alicorn's head with unbidden images of Twilight in compromising materials.

"I will ensure you that it is not the last time such a gift comes from me as well. You have my word as a lady on it that you will find yourself amazed time and time again by my... creations."

Luna's wings began to rise unbidden as she fought to control her emotions. This sly fashionista... She is good! "That is most... thoughtful of you Rarity. However, for now, I implore that you focus on the task at hoof. I do have a da- meeting with Twilight tonight that I cannot be late for."

"Very well, let's get down to it then, shall we?"

~{B}~{O}~{W}~{T}~{N}~

Celestia was greeted by a most enthusiastic fashionista as she entered the temporary setup that had been constructed that morning. "Good evening to you, Rarity. I put myself in your most capable hooves. I believe that I shall trust your judgement on every aspect of the design."

A glimmer appeared in the unicorn's eyes. "I must thank you yet again for this opportunity, Princess Celestia. If you could step up onto the platform over here please. I'll begin with finding colors to match you."

"Very well." She moved to step onto the platform, complying with every request made of her. For a while, silence reigned as the fashionista plied her trade, however she quickly became bored.

"Tell me Rarity, how have Ponyville and your friends been? It has been some time since I last visited, and I'm afraid I do not keep up with current events as well as I should."

"Well, let's see..." Rarity continued her work, having picked a piece of light red silk and was in the process of pinning it to Celestia's form. "Pinkie and Fluttershy began dating, oh, a few months ago I believe it was. It was actually rather sweet how they got together, apparently Pinkie had gotten it in her mind to find some new recipe ideas for cupcakes along the edge of the Everfree. She was near Fluttershy's house when she found an injured bird and brought it over to her right away. Neither of them will say a word, but after that it seems that they became an item."

"Oh? Kindness and Laughter together. Very fitting I must say, and I am glad for those two. What else?"

Rarity continued to place pins in various locations, picking up lengths of sky blue silk. "Well, really, Dash is the only single one of us at the moment, even Twilight has this- " Rarity cut herself off, slightly embarrassed at her slip up.

"Oh, Twilight has a special somepony? I would like to hear more on this subject." Celestia eagerly inquired of the fashionista, genuine interest underlying her words.

"Well, she is sort of wanting to keep it a secret, and I did Pinkie Promise, so I can’t tell you who the pony is! I just can’t do that to Twilight. Plus, I dread the day that Pinkie comes after me for accidentally breaking one of her promises..." Rarity shuddered as she recalled the last pony who had broken one of Pinkie's sacred promises. They had found the poor stallion curled up in the corner of his bathroom three days later muttering about a 'pink devil'.

"I understand, Rarity. I will not enquire anymore into the subject. I do like your choice of colors so far, I must say. Everypony seems to want to match my mane, yet you seem to be focusing more on my coat and other features so far."

"I've found that it is much more enjoyable to try and match to the pony as a whole, rather than specific details actually. It is much too narrow to try to choose just one feature, when all of them are equally important. The biggest challenge with you and your sister however, it incorporating something that blends the grace of the pegasi with the form of the unicorn horn." More silk floated into the air to be ran through with needles, the general shape of a dress finally coming together in the fashionista's eyes.

“That is a most interesting concept, but you make it sound so intuitive. I have no doubt that you will most likely find yourself at the head of the fashion industry in the near future. With your skills and outlook I doubt anypony will be able to touch you for years to come. I will enjoy bearing witness to that.”

Rarity fought back tears of joy at Celestia’s praise as she continued to work. Her magic created a whirlwind of activity as she furiously continued to bring the form of the dress into existence. It was only a matter of time until her masterpiece came together.

~{B}~{O}~{W}~{T}~{N}~

Author's Note:

Story Note: I am aware of Discord’s return due to the loveable devils known as the CMC. This was not addressed yet due to [SPOILERS], but will be brought up and explained at a later date.

Author's Note: Next Chapter: Night of the Second Day - 36 Hours Remaining

Next chapter will contain the big date, hopefully I do not fail to deliver! Beyond that, not much to say. I’ve loved writing Rarity’s character, for those who are curious I have pulled her character design from a combination of Four of Two by Ariamaki and Designing Intrigue by Cvbrony. She is quickly becoming my favorite pony behind Twilight and Luna.

Editor's Note: Oh goddesses, backstory. Backstory is my drug... Though that might be a tad bit obvious. DISCLAIMER - This story has nothing to do with the back story of Becoming One With The Night, it merely serves to act as a shameless plug!