• Published 9th Dec 2012
  • 686 Views, 7 Comments

Hybridization - Pleiades



Luna's been experiencing memory loss. To recover it, she goes to see an old project of hers Celestia continued involving pony hybridization. However, forces to the far west threaten to overturn her plans.

  • ...
0
 7
 686

Capitulum III: A Quick Heart to Heart

Light...

That was all that went through the lunar princess' head as she slowly opened her tired eyes.

She blinked them. A high morning's sunbeam was poking its way through the blackout curtains, assaulting her sleepy face. Magnets will fix that... she thought to herself as she turned back around, but the damage had already been done.

Sleepy, Luna sat up in bed. She had slept really well, but, as to be expected of the princess of the night, she was not exactly a morning pony. "What time is it...?" she wondered, looking over at the nightstand.

On it was her Smart Monocle, which she had invented just before she became Nightmare Moon. A spark of solar magic, and it floated over to her face, affixing itself to her ear. The readout at the bottom read "10:34PM". She didn't normally wear it, seeing as the guards were fearful of it for some reason, but here, it didn't seem like that much of a problem.

Luna rolled out of bed, landing gracefully on her hooves two at a time. Almost on instinct, she went straight for the bathroom. She flicked on the lights, and instantly had to shield them. "Ugh..." she sighed as her eyes got used to the fluorescent light.

Once she was no longer blind, she lowered her hoof and examined the counter. On it was a rather thick toothbrush, and some sort of dispenser with "Toothpaste" printed on it. Picking the toothbrush up magically, she looked it over. It had a single button. Luna pressed it, causing the toothbrush's bristles to start vibrating, with a soft whirr. "Fascinating..." Luna muttered, turning it off.

She then looked over at the dispenser. Curious, she poked it magically. Toothpaste squeezed out, falling onto the counter. "Ohh..." she realized.

Poking it with her toothbrush, a pea-sized amount came out, evenly sitting on top of the toothbrush. "Why didn't I think of these earlier?" Luna wondered as she got to work.

A few minutes later, Luna came out, her teeth quite literally shining, and dressed in her famous blue dress. "They must use something stronger than fluoride..." she thought to herself as she trotted over to the kitchen.

She was about to open the fridge when there was a knock on the door. "Oh, coming!" Luna called, trotting over.

She opened the door to see Pink Ribbon standing there, a cart by her side, with the all-too-familiar covered plate on it. "Good morning, Your Majesty," Ribbon bowed, surprisingly sullen.

That did not go unnoticed by Luna. "Did something happen?" she asked as she stepped aside, letting Ribbon in.

"Yes..." Ribbon bowed as she wheeled the cart in. "... There was a break-in at Komodo."

"A break-in?" Luna's eyes widened.

Ribbon nodded. "Flash's office was robbed."

Perhaps even faster than Ribbon herself, Luna made her way for the window. "Keep that warm for me!" she instructed as she leapt out the window, grabbing the parka Concordia had sewn for her yesterday.

Spreading her night blue wings, Luna glided towards Komodo's campus. There were plenty of secret things Night Flash was responsible for. She simply hoped that Twinkle wasn't compromised.

Below her, a young, cloaked mare spotted Luna. With a hoof, she pulled out... a doll? It looked a lot like Princess Luna, but the doll's wings were red. "Is that... Luna?" she wondered out loud, and gave chase.

Luna was flying into the Komodo campus. The mare was about to make it through the gates, but was stopped by a white hoof. She looked up to see another mare, a pegacorn, as young as her. The white mare had a burning gaze... and a mace chained to her tail. "Who're you?" she demanded.

"A traveler," the cloaked mare explained. Under her cloak, she curled up two legs... two extra legs.

"New here?"

"... Yes."

"You know where the immigration office is?"

"Immigration?" the cloaked mare tilted her head in confusion.

"... You're moving here, right?"

"Oh, no... I'm just passing through," the cloaked mare lied.

Passing through in the frozen north?, the pegacorn wondered. "... You should go to the immigration office anyway," she finally said. "Go into the Administration Building, and head to the third floor."

"Thank you," the cloaked mare bowed, and walked off... but towards the Cadenza Center, where Luna had gone through the main doors.

The pegacorn, now downright alarmed, quietly followed.

"This is unbelievable! Outrageous!"

"Calm down, Flash," an authoritative stallion told the panicking scientist as Luna came up the hallway.

"I will not calm down!" Flash barked, pointing a hoof at him. "A level 20 file was stolen! Twenty! The thief has probably already left Komodo by now!"

Luna's eyes went wide. "Flash, listen, I know you're freaking out, but I doubt the thief has gone far. Most pegasi can't leave Komodo by air anyway, the winds are too strong," the stallion tried to calm Flash. "Her Majesty got in because we remotely calmed the winds to let her in."

"Excuse me..." Luna made her presence clear, making the stallion jump.

"Your Majesty!" the stallion bowed.

Flash clearly did not care about courtesy at the moment. "Larceny!" he cried out. "Your Majesty! That file Shooting Star told you about was stolen!"

Luna's eyes could not have gone wider. "Oh no..." Luna gasped.

She barged right by Flash to take a look inside his office. The first thing she noticed was that the sole filing cabinet in his room was slightly melted... but nothing else was out of place. "Has anything else been stolen?" Luna questioned.

"No, Your Majesty," Flash shook his head.

Luna took another look around. Her horn began to glow, and from it, a small beam of light emanated, shining onto the filing cabinet. From the melted lock, small tendrils of energy flittered around, bouncing around at sharp angles. "That's not a type of magic I've seen before..." Flash admitted.

"It's not solar magic..." Luna thought to herself. "Nor does it seem like lunar magic..."

Suddenly, Luna felt... tired. She blinked, but all that did was make her vision swim, everything fading out of focus. Luna felt her legs grow weak... but, for some reason, quickly snapped out of it. "Ugh..." she moaned, shaking her head.

"Is something wrong, Your Majesty?" Flash asked.

By now, the cloaked mare had arrived, poking her head through the door. Luna was the first thing she spotted... then the burned lock. "Only a haizum can do that..." she gasped.

Luna's and Flash's heads turned to her. "Who are you?" Flash growled. Luna could tell that Flash already suspected this mare.

"A-a traveler," she repeated, a little caught off by Flash's hostility.

"Some traveler you are!"

The cloaked mare jumped in surprise. Behind her was the same white pegacorn that stopped her at the gate. "I'm glad I followed you. You're stalking Her Majesty, aren't you?" she accused the cloaked mare of.

"Knockout Punch," Flash began. "Who is she?"

"Buck if I know," Knockout shook her head, not noticing a disapproving glare from Luna.

Suddenly, her horn began sparking with energy, turning everypony's heads. Luna simply looked up, cross-eyed, at her horn... which promptly materialized a scroll. She caught it as it fell to the ground, and opened it.

My dearest sister Luna,

I will be joining you in Komodo City, along with Twilight Sparkle, Spike, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie within a few hours. Two visitors came to the castle today. They were of a species of pony that I have never seen before; one identified herself as a haizum, while the other identified himself as a kelpie. They have requested my assistance in ending a cold war between their species and a third, whom they called the sleipnir. The haizum, Cream Puff, described the sleipnir as six-legged ponies with the strength to move mountains. Only the haizum know about Komodo City, but I was hoping to use Komodo as a forum so that the population of Equestria does not know about the warring ponies. How they found out, not even Cream Puff knows.

Tia

She looked back up at the cloaked mare. "... Did you mention something about haizum earlier?" she asked.

She got no reply. The cloaked mare took a step back... and ran. "Hey!" Knockout shouted, swinging the mace on her tail at her.

Artfully, the mare dodged it with a sidestep, as if she had been avoiding maces for all of her life.

Her cloaks were not so lucky.

They got caught on the mace's spikes, and with a loud rip, came right off her, exposing her for all eyes to see.

And they were all shocked.

The cloaked mare had six legs. She was one of the sleipnir Celestia mentioned! Realizing she was busted, she ran even faster, closing her eyes as she began to sprint. However... she felt no motion. Opening her eyes, she realized she was running on thin air, suspended by solar magic. And behind her, Luna, clearly not very happy. "You have a lot to tell us," she declared.

A few minutes' flight away from Komodo City, a large, almost limousine-like carriage was being pulled by a team of six black ops pegasi. Inside were Princess Celestia, Twilight Sparkle, her assistant Spike, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie, who had her face plastered to the window, as if looking for something, with a Cheshire Cat grin on her face. "... Okay, why did we bring Pinkie again?" Dash whispered into Twilight's ear.

"Because the Princess thought she would help out a lot with the peace talks," Twilight quietly answered. "You know, after our visit to Appleloosa?"

The two exchanged glances. Neither of them had the heart or courage to tell Princess Celestia that Pinkie's methods had backfired so badly it triggered the battle everypony was trying to avoid. It was fortunate that Princess Celestia wasn't looking; she had taken an interest in Pinkie. "What are you looking for, Pinkie Pie?" Celestia asked, looking over Pinkie's head.

Pinkie pried her face off the glass, stretching her nose until it came off with a cartoonish 'pop'. Shaking her head slightly, she replied with her usual grin, "I'm looking for the Crystal Empire! I can't wait to see it again!"

Celestia gave Pinkie a look of confusion. "I'm sorry?" she asked. "What is the Crystal Empire?"

"Wha-?" Pinkie asked. "It doesn't exist in this timeline either?"

"Timeline?" Celestia wondered, now hopelessly confused. "What are you talking about?"

All eyes were focused on the two now. "You don't remember the old timeline either?!" she gasped, shocked. "You sent us to the Crystal Empire in that timeline to save it from King Sombra!"

Celestia turned in her seat fully towards Pinkie. "I'm sorry, Pinkie Pie..." she apologized. "I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about."

Pinkie's jaw practically hit the floor. She tried to say something, but no words came out. "Princess..." Twilight tried to pipe up. "Pinkie claims that she's lived in an alternate timeline before."

Celestia looked back over at Pinkie Pie, who still stood there in shock. "... Pinkie Pie," Celestia began. "Perhaps you can tell me more about this alternate timeline of yours?"

"Sure!" Pinkie agreed, suddenly becoming bouncy again. "Back in the-"

There was a knock on the window, interrupting her. One of the guards had disconnected himself and was flying alongside the carriage. Celestia opened the window and stuck her head out. "ETA is five minutes to landing, Princess," the guard informed her.

"Thank you," Princess Celestia replied. "Landing site is Komodo University Airstrip."

The guard saluted, then quickly got back to his post. "Look!" Spike suddenly called.

All of the ponies moved over to look through the same window Spike was. Outside was the grand Komodo City. Twilight and Rainbow's jaws were on the floor. Cream, on the other hand, scooted back slightly, while Parhelion simply looked down with his usual curious look. "Ooh!" Pinkie nearly squealed. "Is that it?!"

"Yes, Pinkie Pie," Celestia confirmed. "Welcome to Komodo City."

The carriage began to descend as they approached the campus. Down there was a large black strip of asphalt. Ponies were scurrying around, turning on bright lights, which the guards aimed for. Everypony braced themselves, but came to a calm landing. "Whoa..." Twilight sighed. "Never had a landing this smooth."

"Tell me about it," Rainbow sighed.

The door opened, and Celestia let herself out, followed by the other ponies. Coming out of a nearby double door was Luna, who immediately spotted Cream and Parhelion. "Luna!" Celestia greeted, almost jovially, but maintaining her formal tone.

Luna didn't respond. She was still trying to process seeing the haizum and kelpie. "Luna?" Celestia repeated, snapping her out of her stunned state.

"Oh, um, Celestia," she blinked. "Are those two the haizum and kelpie you mentioned?"

"Yes," Celestia nodded.

She motioned for Cream and Parhelion to come over. "This is Cream Puff," she introduced as the haizum bowed deeply, almost shocked herself.

"And this is Parhelion," Celestia continued as the kelpie also bowed.

"It's a... pleasure to meet you both," Luna said.

"Your Holiness," Cream bowed even deeper.

Luna couldn't help but be surprised at Cream's level of politeness. For some reason, she began to feel light-headed again... "Luna?" Celestia asked, knocking her out of it.

Gasping quietly, Luna shook her head. "Sorry," she apologized. "I haven't been feeling well."

"Is it the cold?" Celestia smiled. "I warned you."

Luna nodded no. "We have something else we want to show you. This way."

Luna brought the group to the door of a medical office, with a one-way window. Knockout Punch was standing outside, at attention. "Your Majesty," she bowed, not even flinching at seeing Cream and Parhelion.

"At ease," Luna ordered.

Inside was the pink sleipnir, who had developed a severe cold. Cream put her hooves on the door to get a better look... and instantly went white. "What're they doing here?!" she gasped, stepping back.

"I have no idea," Luna admitted. "All I know is that she was following me. Then she got sick, and lost her voice."

"She should have it back by now, according to Shooting Star."

All heads turned to Flash, who had just recently arrived. "Princess Celestia," he bowed to her.

"And you are?" she asked.

"Night Flash, chief geneticist of Komodo University," he reintroduced himself. "We have spoken via letter."

"... I didn't expect you to be so young," Celestia admitted.

"Most ponies don't, Princess," he added. "I'd like to get us all up to speed on the situation."

"Yes," Celestia agreed.

She motioned for Cream and Parhelion to move forward. "This is Cream Puff and Parhelion," she introduced again.

Night Flash's eyes went wide at seeing the haizum and kelpie. "... What is your project ID?" he demanded.

"Project ID?" Parhelion asked, confused. "What's that?"

"They are not one of Komodo's many projects," Celestia stepped in before Cream could say anything. At least, it seemed like she was going to say something.

She wasn't.

With a loud heave, she sneezed, a huge blast of fire coming out of her mouth. Even though Flash didn't see it coming, he felt himself move faster than he could think. Instantly, a wall of ice formed between them, from Flash's horn, protecting him from the searing blaze. His eyes went wide, not just from surprise, but realization.

When the flames died down, having melted the wall of ice, Flash's burning gaze was centered on Cream. "You're the thief," was all he said.

"... I'm sorry?" Cream smiled uneasily.

Flash instantly lunged at Cream, horn sparking furiously. "I'LL SKIN YOU!" he shouted.

Cream, frightened, took a step back before charging up a fireball. "Stop it!" Celestia shouted, getting in the way of them both.

With a magic shield, Celestia took the brunt of both attacks, with Flash slamming into it with a blood-curdling crunch, making everypony except Celestia wince. He fell to the floor, dazed but clearly unharmed. "We have more pressing matters," Celestia declared to him. "I'm going in to talk with your visitor."

Still a little dazed from the impact, Flash lifted his badge with an arc of lunar magic, holding it by a black panel next to the door. Beeping, the door clicked open. "I love those, I swear," Luna admitted.

Celestia was about to enter when Cream quickly grabbed her hoof. "Your Holiness..." she implored. "Please don't go in. The sleipnir are the most violent ponies known to both realms. They will not think twice about killing you."

"Twenty-five years ago, the sleipnir lead a violent assault against the kelpies," Parhelion added in, floating over. "Seven hundred fatalities at minimum. We were very nearly wiped out."

Cream looked over at Refraction with fear, clearly realizing that the haizum weren't wrong about that. "... I think I can handle one," Celestia decided.

Pushing the door open, Celestia ducked down, squeezing through. These doors were more designed for Luna... she thought.

The pink sleipnir looked up, a small dribble of snot running out of her nose. "Hello," Celestia greeted, sitting in front of her. "What's your name?"

"A... aaa..." she opened her mouth, to try to speak.

Celestia leaned in a little, curious. "Aaaaa-" she gasped.

Her eyes widening, Celestia realized what was about to happen. "ACHOO!" the sleipnir sneezed.

Celestia threw up a barrier just in time. Something lethal flew out with her snot.

Lightning.

With a loud bang, it bounced off Celestia's barrier right into the ceiling, leaving a nasty looking scorch mark. Celestia was most definitely shocked, and lowered her barrier. "I'b sowwy..." the sleipnir apologized, her voice warped by her cold. "I can'b help but bischarge..."

"It's alright, my little pony," Celestia nodded, almost laying down to see eye-to-eye with her. "What is your name?"

"Sweeb Heawb..." she responded.

"Sweet Heart?" Celestia confirmed.

"Yeb, m'laby..." Sweet Heart nodded. "Bough mosb ponieb call be Aimee..."

"It's nice to meet you, Aimee," Celestia greeted again. "I am Princess Celestia, ruler of Equestria."

Aimee's eyes went wide at the mention of "princess". Quickly, she leapt off the table, landing at Celestia's feet with a deep bow. "No need for that, my little pony," she stroked her mane. "Where are you from?"

"De Stone Fowbwess..." she responded, clearly having missed the cue for her to stand back up.

"Stand up, Aimee," Celestia commanded. "I can't hear you."

Aimee quickly stood to attention. "The Stone Fowtwess, m'laby," she responded, trying to fight the cold's effect on her voice. "Faw to the west."

"What brings you here?"

"I followbed a haizum flyinb eabt," she explained. "On owbers fwom m'lord."

"A haizum flying east..." Celestia repeated, looking back to the door.

Though she couldn't see through the door, Luna could, and could clearly hear her. "Go on in, Cream Puff," she ordered.

"What?!" Cream breathed, shocked.

"Go in," Luna repeated, lowering to meet Cream's eye level. "Celestia will keep you safe."

Luna was no expert on emotion, but Cream was clearly quivering in her skin. "... Yes, Your Holiness," she finally said.

Cream slowly creaked the door open, catching Aimee's eyes. She froze in the door. "Is this the haizum you mentioned?" Celestia asked Aimee.

"... Chocolabe?" she asked. "Whab awe you doinb hewe?"

Cream blinked. "Chocolate? As in Chocolate Puff?"

"Yeb..." Aimee nodded. "You musb be Cweam Puff, wighb?"

"How do you know my sister?" she demanded, ignoring her question.

Aimee opened her mouth to answer... but stopped. "Aaa-... Aaaaah..." she began.

Celestia stood between Cream and Aimee, and just in the nick of time too. Up came Celestia's barrier, protecting them both, from another glob of snot and lightning bolt.

"EEP!"

Celestia looked down at Cream, who had stumbled over, trembling. The once brave and headstrong whistleblower had been reduced to a pile of quivering jelly by a lightning bolt. Celestia could tell from her eyes, her fearful eyes, that she had grown up and lived on the fear of sleipnir, and the hatred of kelpies. "I'b sowwy..." Aimee apologized, sniffling.

She wiped her nose with a nearby handkerchief. "Chocolabe Puff anb I meeb ofben, ab nighb," she began to explain. "She cabe to be one nighb, cwying bewwibly, anb bold be you had bebwayeb be haizum. I bold m'lord, who owbeweb me bo follow you."

Aimee paused for a second. "Be..." she finished. "Be wanbs peace."

Cream seemed to do an emotional 180. She quickly went from a quivering wreck to a pony of mass destruction. Blowing right by Celestia, she instantly rammed right into Aimee, who gasped in surprise. "He wants peace!" she shouted. "King Stoneheart, ruler of the violent and genocidal sleipnir, wants peace! I've heard crazier horseshit back home!"

She then began to shake the poor sleipnir violently. "What else are you lying about?" Cream demanded, her face burning with anger. "What have you done to Chocolate?!"

"Cream Puff!" Celestia shouted, but Cream wasn't listening.

"Nobing!" Aimee tried to defend herself. "Look!"

Aimee quickly pulled something out of a pouch on her clothes, which made Cream stop. It was a little doll of Luna, but with red wings... seemingly on fire. "She gabe bis bo be," Aimee hastily explained. "Be bould have burneb ib obewise!"

Cream froze. She reached out and took the doll with her hooves, propping herself against the table. She turned it over, quickly looking at the front left hoof, which had signs of being sucked on. Aimee was right about one thing, though; it was unscratched, apart from the hoof. "This IS Chocolate's..." she gasped to herself.

"Bhe's back ab be Holy Ciby..." Aimee explained. "Sabe and sownb."

Cream could only stare at it in disbelief. "I will let you rest," Celestia declared, picking up Cream magically and walking out with her.

Back outside, Celestia let Cream flop onto the floor. However, she accidentally let go in such a way that she tumbled onto her head, with an audible "bonk". "Ow!" she sighed, getting back up with a visible lump on her head. "What was that for?"

"I'm sorry, Cream," Celestia tried to force down a smirk.

"What happened in there?" Twilight asked. "All we could hear was the lightning that sleipnir fired off every time she sneezed."

"Like me and party favors!" Pinkie shot up in front of Twilight, making her jump.

"You sneeze into party favors?" Rainbow had to ask.

"It turns out she was following Cream Puff, not Luna," Celestia explained before Pinkie had a chance to start talking. "And it appears that she and her lord do not want to continue this war."

"I still think she's crazy," Cream shook her head.

Celestia glared at Cream, who instantly backed down. "Everypony get some rest," she commanded. "I have plans for our visitors tomorrow. Doctor Flash?"

"With all due respect, Princess, I lack a doctorate," Flash, who had just gotten back up, responded.

"Professor Flash," Celestia corrected herself. "Will you please come with me?"

"Yes, Princess," Flash bowed.

Celestia trotted off, with Flash following quickly. "Princess Luna?" Twilight asked the lunar princess. "I'm sorry, but... I still don't feel like I'm following everything. Not everything was explained to us on the way here."

Luna smiled. "I've only known you for about a year," she admitted, "but I know very well you are discontent with ignorance. Where do you want me to begin?"

"Allow me, Your Majesty," Knockout interrupted, saluting. "I know Komodo City the best out of anypony."

Luna looked over to her, and nodded. "Cream, Parhelion," she ordered. "I'd like you to remain with me."

With a quick nod, Knockout led the three ponies and dragon away. Luna looked back down at Cream and Parhelion. "Would you mind... telling me more about yourselves?" she asked. "Who you are, what you are? I'm very fascinated, and Princess Celestia didn't tell me much."

"Well..." Cream began, but an incessant thumping interrupted her.

The three remaining ponies looked over just in time to see a cobalt blur slam right into Cream, with a sickening crunch. "Thief!" it shouted.

Cream didn't hesitate to fight back. With a burst of fire a dragon would be proud of, she launched her attacker off her. A medium rare Comet landed on the floor with a pretty hard thud. He quickly got back up, stomping his hooves on the floor and leaving visible cracks in the linoleum. "What the hell were you thinking?!" he shouted.

"If you'll stop trying to kill me, I'll explain!" she shouted back.

"Explain to my hoof!" Comet retorted, again charging at her.

He was stopped by a sudden jolt of searing pain coming from his flank, and collapsed to the floor. Right next to him was Luna, with a sparking horn. "I quite like this... 'taser' spell," Luna admitted. "I should use it more often."

"Your Majesty..." Comet gasped, still in pain. "Who gave you that spell?"

"Your little sister Twinkle," Luna smiled.

"I'm going to rip her wings off..." Comet grumbled.

"Wings?" Cream asked, cogs turning in her head. "... Are you the brother of the alicorn?"

"Yeah, I am..." Comet hissed, clearly struggling to get back up. "You're after her, aren't you?"

"NO!" Cream snapped back. "I'm trying to keep her safe!"

Luna and Parhelion looked at each other. "We will leave you alone," Luna declared, trotting off with Parhelion in tow.

That just left the downed Comet and the apprehensive Cream in the middle of the abandoned hallway. "Look, I'm sorry I stole the file, but if I didn't, a bunch of haizum would have fried you and taken away your sister, you got that?" Cream rattled off at Comet. "Here's your Luna-damned file back!"

She took out the file from the front pouch of her apron and dropped it in front of Comet. "You haven't thrown it in a copy machine, have you?" he asked.

Cream tilted her head in confusion. "What's a copy machine?" she asked.

"Nevermind..." Comet grumbled.

Still in pain from the taser spell, Comet forced himself to his feet. "Why didn't you tell anypony?" Comet demanded, glaring at Cream.

"You think I could?" Cream glared back. "Three big burly soldiers chasing me. Doubt you'd stand a chance against them."

As if insulted, Comet smashed his hoof into the floor again, leaving a visible crater. Cream recoiled a bit. "... I wish I knew about you earlier," she backpedaled.

"You didn't?" Comet asked, confused.

"I don't even know your name," she added, "and look at that damned file. It only talks about your sister, not you. It doesn't even mention you! Doesn't even have her name!"

"... Alright..." he grumbled. "How the hell did you get in, anyway? Professor Flash hardly sleeps."

"Like this," Cream smirked.

Instantly, she went up in flames, promptly disappearing. Jaw dropping, Comet looked around. "What the buck just happened!?" he gasped.

"Boo."

The huge arion jumped, surprised. Cream was right behind him. "Teleportation," she explained. "Still not sure how it works."

"But... that's not possible..." Comet gasped. "You're not a unicorn. You're not even a unicorn variant!"

"We thought it was a gift given to us by Celestia... but she doesn't even know who we are," Cream admitted.

Then she realized something. "... We worship Celestia," she added.

"Oh," Comet's brain clicked.

"Anyway, do you know anywhere I can live?" Cream asked. "I've got no gold, no home, nothing but the clothes on my rump after keeping your sister safe."

Comet thought for a moment. "Let me talk to someone quickly."

Comet pulled out his cell phone, which Cream eyed with curiosity. Tapping a few keys on it, he turned away from Cream and held it up to his ear. "Hi, Mom," he said into it. "... I've got something to ask you. Mind if someone stays over for a few days? ... Well..."

Comet looked back over at Cream. "... It's the thief. Turns out she stole the file to keep it safe. ... I know. I already gave her a thrashing."

Comet's face twisted in grief and embarrassment from something his mother added. "Do not mention that again, Mom," he warned. "I'm not proud of that moment of my life."

He continued to listen into the phone. "... Okay," he nodded. "Alright."

Tapping the call end key on the phone, he put it away. "Right... You're coming with me," Comet said, glaring.

Cream blinked. "Huh?"

"Mom wants to see you for herself," Comet explained. "And she wants you to see the rest of the family too. You nearly killed my dad, you know?"

Cream blinked again. "What did I do this time?!" she groaned, exasperated.

"The whole family freaked out when we heard you stole that file," Comet continued. "He's got a heart condition, and you nearly sent him into cardiac arrest."

"What's cardiac arrest?"

Comet squinted. "You've never heard of a heart attack before?"

"Nope," Cream shook her head.

"When a pony's heart stops suddenly, while they're alive?"

"Look, I grew up in the Holy City," Cream retorted. "We don't exactly have slabs of stone that let us talk with others across cities!"

"It's not stone, it's plastic!" Comet fired back as they walked away.

"What's plastic?"

"Aaargh!"

Flash entered his office, with Celestia closing the door behind herself. As she did, though, a loud thump echoed through the building, causing the whole lab to shake. "What was that?" Celestia asked, concerned.

"Shooting Star, most likely," Night Flash responded coolly. "He and the other arions tend to do that when they're frustrated. We are lucky Concordia is extremely difficult to anger."

"Speaking about anger..." Celestia glared at Flash. "Why did you hide Project Apotheosis from me?"

"I intended to show it to you upon your next arrival, Princess," Flash stood up straight. "Comet took the time to introduce Apotheosis to Her Majesty Luna."

"You told me it existed, and yet you still hesitated to tell me then," Celestia retorted. "Magic mail is perfectly safe, and yet you refused to believe me!"

"Incorrect, Your Majesty," Flash responded.

"What do you mean, incorrect?" Celestia demanded.

"Over the past few years, Komodo City has had a rash of letter interceptions thanks to our increase in technology and the introduction of lunar magic," Flash explained.

He took out his cell phone, similar in model to Comet's. "That is why these were invented. Information is transmitted at the speed of sound, roughly 1125.50 feet per second, and they are already difficult enough to intercept. By contrast, solar magic travels at a measly 120 feet per second. I had already informed you in our correspondance. Do you not remember?"

"... Now I do," the solar princess admitted, realizing she had been outsmarted by a colt. "But why?"

"... why what, Princess?" Flash had to ask, his facial expression betraying no confusion.

"Why did you go and create another alicorn?" Celestia asked.

Flash suddenly tensed up, a motion Celestia did not miss. "Research, Princess," was Flash's quick answer. "All three princesses are off-limits for study, as you may imagine. It was hard enough acquiring a sample of your mane. I cannot thank you enough for that."

"And you went and cloned me!?" Celestia nearly shouted.

"No, Princess," Flash responded. "I only inserted 3% of your DNA into an unfertilized egg."

"She was born from an egg?" Celestia missed the point.

"No, Princess," Flash answered. "An egg is the female sex cell, one of two components necessary to create a foal. We are not talking about a chicken or dragon egg."

"But even still, it's a flimsy reason," Celestia switched back to the original subject. "Research? Why go that far simply for research? In the process of research, you gave a little child godlike power! This is too far even for Luna, and I know it is a line you will not cross without a very good reason."

She gave Night Flash a glare that would silence a dragon. "Now, tell me," she commanded.

From experience, she knew that simply glaring at a pony would make them submissive to her, instantly. But Flash... Flash didn't even flinch. He simply stared right back, silent. To an onlooker, they may as well be having a staring contest. Finally, though, he relented. "Debts," he responded, to her surprise. "I owe two ponies my life."

"And how does turning a foal into an alicorn pay those debts?" Celestia asked.

"I wish not to go into detail for personal reasons," Flash confessed. "Comet saved my life once, seven years ago. And even still, I feel as if I have not repaid him yet."

"So who is the other pony?"

"I wish not to reveal that," Flash repeated. "It was a moment in my life I will forever loathe myself for."

Celestia glared again, her upper lip stiff. "Intimidation will not work on me, Princess," Flash stated, his face still as flat as ever. "Even death fails to cow me."

"And why does it?" she demanded.

"I've stared it in the face."

Celestia stood there for a second. "... I will confess that I was shortsighted when I began Apotheosis," he finally admitted.

"You're getting away with a lot here."

Flash finally blinked. "... I'm sorry, Princess?" he asked.

"I will let you go, but do not do this again," she ordered. "Do not hide such things from me, no matter how much you fear the world knowing."

"... Yes, Princess," he bowed.

"But know this..." she smiled.

Flash looked up. "I'm glad you made another alicorn," she continued, her voice wavering slightly. "... It's been so long since an alicorn was born."

"... Are you fighting tears, Princess?" was Flash's only response.

Celestia stopped. "... Yes," she replied, her eyes twitching to stop her tears.

"The birth of the fourth alicorn has yet to be celebrated," he added. "And yet it still cannot be celebrated, knowing the danger she is in."

"I know," she finally straightened up. "I would have done similar to what you have, locking up her identity even to its owner."

She turned to go for the door. "I'm going to rest," she announced to him, on her way to trot out.

"Princess," Flash stopped her. "I have not had an opportunity to prepare lodging for you. I have only notified the Velvet Hotel of Her Majesty Luna's arrival."

She looked back, with a grin. "That won't be a problem."

Celestia trotted out, leaving behind a dumbfounded Night Flash.

"Are you sure about this, sister?"

Celestia trotted in behind Luna, into her penthouse. "Why yes, Luna!" she said, closing the door behind her. "Even with you back, we still spend too much time apart!"

"... Indeed we do," Luna admitted.

"This was just like when we were fillies, do you remember?" Celestia asked.

Luna's ears twitched in confusion, as she took her tiara off. "What do you mean?" Luna asked.

"When we would sleep together in a cute little ball?" Celestia's own ears twitched in concern.

Luna shook her head. "I wish."

"Aww," Celestia moaned. "... How is your memory, by the way?"

"We still don't know the cause," Luna admitted. "Comet told me that there's been a delay in my tests, the results should arrive tomorrow."

"Do you remember anything?"

"... Yes, actually," Luna nodded. "I remember... two things."

"Oh?" Celestia perked up. "What do you remember?"

"... Do you remember all the way back, when I first created lunar magic?" Luna asked.

"Oh, yes!" Celestia almost cheered. "There are days I still can't believe it. I'm glad you taught me a bit, otherwise Komodo would have been impossible."

"... I did?" Luna had to ask.

"Yes, you did," Celestia confirmed. "How did you do it again...?"

Celestia closed her eyes and began to focus. Her horn began to spark with purple lightning ever so briefly, but then stopped. "I never really got how you do it..." Celestia admitted. "Pulsing magic is so much harder than weaving it."

"It helps if you start slowly, the rhythm is more important than the speed," Luna suddenly blurted out.

In surprise, Luna covered her own mouth. "... Where did that come from?" she wondered.

Celestia only smiled. "You're remembering more," she realized.

Without warning, Celestia suddenly hugged Luna, taking her by surprise. Luna didn't return it, far too shocked.

The hug was the last thing on Luna's mind, though, when Celestia yet out a lion's yawn. "Oh dear..." she sighed, letting go. "It's getting late."

"It's only 10:12PM," Luna replied.

"Still a late sleeper?" Celestia grinned, taking off her dress.

"... Yes," Luna nodded.

Celestia kicked away her dress, and turned back to Luna. On her chest was a huge diagonal scar. Luna quickly looked away; she knew full well who caused that scar. Celestia caught the motion. "... Still worried about that?" she asked.

"I might hurt you in the night," Luna answered, wishing she never had to say that.

Celestia went and flopped onto the bed. "You know... I'm more likely to hurt you in the night," she responded. "Last pony that tried to sleep with me got a nasty hole in his flank."

Celestia raised her head, remembering something. "Oh, that's right... I was driving him out."

Luna couldn't help but let a smile out. "Come on, I don't think it's going to happen again," Celestia tried to encourage her.

Gingerly, Luna climbed into bed with her sister. "Just like the old days, isn't it?" Celestia snuggled up to Luna.

Luna opened her mouth to speak when suddenly there was a sharp crack.

And they fell.

The four-poster bed suddenly collapsed on the two, under the alicorns' weight. When the dust cleared, the two found themselves buried under the ruins of the bed. "Ouch..." Celestia moaned. "I thought these beds were tougher..."

"They weren't meant for two, Tia..." Luna responded.

The door suddenly burst open as a familiar pink blur charged in. "Your Majesties!" Pink Ribbon shouted, lifting the debris off them with some effort. "Are you alright?!"

"Yes... We're fine," Luna responded. "Thank you."

"Would you like me to get you some cots?" she asked. "The hotel went and ordered some arion-sized cots if those would work for you."

"No thank you," Celestia shook her head, dusting her mane off. "We'll just take the carpet."

"The carpet?" Ribbon had to ask.

"Yes," Celestia replied with a grin. "It's not like beds were invented when we were born."

Luna looked over at Celestia, with a look of apprehension. Luna was no idiot, but she could tell Celestia was planning something. "... Yes, Princess," Ribbon bowed. "I'll clean up the mess immediately."

"Leave it for tomorrow, you seem tired," Celestia ordered.

"Yes, Princess," Ribbon bowed.

Instantly, Ribbon disappeared in a blur of pink, dashing out the door and closing it behind her. Celestia, on the other hand, flopped onto the carpet. "Well, come on. It's about time you started sleeping early," she invited.

Luna, for the second time, gingerly snuggled up to her. As the two fell asleep, Celestia slowly curled herself around Luna. Not trusting herself, Luna curled up defensively, trying to minimize herself.

Comments ( 2 )

Hey man! It's me, Daniel Laikhter, your friend from school! I just wanted to let you know I'm very proud of you and your stories and we can be friends! Please come over some time and we can share stories and I've written a few of my own!

would you consider them to be PegaCorn O.C.s ?

Login or register to comment