• Published 1st Dec 2012
  • 906 Views, 4 Comments

The Consequences of Time Travel - Xartis



I'm writing another story. I thought about this while watching 'It's about Time' Oh boy...

  • ...
 4
 906

Someone got the facts wrong

Twilight held the scroll out on the floor, she read the text as she stared at it blankly. She suddenly realised something.
"Hey! I have an idea, if I don't go back in time, I'll never have this miniature crisis and I won't try to prevent the disaster, which didn't actually happen!" She smiled broadly, Pinkie only gave a micro-smile in return.
"I'm not sure Twi, I'm no genius, but I'm pretty sure time works li..." She was rudely interrupted by Twilight, who starting bounding around the library.
"Trust me Pinkie, I know what I'm doing! I've read books about this sort of thing!" She stopped in front of Spike, who was starting to look a bit sick from eating several tubs of strawberry ice-cream.
He stomach gurgled as it tried to process the scoops of ice-cream that had been swallowed "Oh, I thought this would be future Spike's problem, but now I am future Spike." Twilight and Pinkie giggled, Twilight levitated Spike onto her back "Come on Spike." They left the library.

As the two ponies and dragon left the library, the earth around them seemed to shake. Twilight looked around with a worried expression on her face. Pinkie didn't look as worried, she looked like she was assessing the situation, then she realised something.
"The universe is destroying itself, every-pony for themselves!" Pinkie disappeared in a comical puff of pink dust, which Twilight was fairly sure wasn't natural. But then it hit her, what Pinkie had just said, the universe was destroying itself? Suddenly the entire castle seemed to distort, every single surface contorting itself into different shapes (Some of said shapes were four and five dimensional, unfortunately Twilight could jot perceive them, so they were just regular three-dimensional shapes). Twilight quickly thought of her tree-house library and executed her teleportation spell.

She appeared in her home and quickly looked around for something to fix this problem that had spontaneously occurred. She started at 'U' for Universe, 'D' for destroy, 'R' for rips, and so on. She couldn't find a single book relating to the situation. The tree-house shook.
"Oh now, it's here." She bit her bottom lip and tapped her hooves impatiently on the floor. She couldn't think of any way this could have happened, why would the universe destroy itself? Then she remembered what she had been stressing about for a few days.
"This is the disaster! Spike, get the book about disasters!"
"Okay, okay!" Spike quickly clambered up the flimsy wooden ladder, only holding up his weight out of pure enthusiasm (In-animate objects have emotion, that is an important fact of the universe, perhaps if they had communication, they wouldn't spend most of their lives in the agonising pain of being chopped up into different shapes for large equine creatures to stand, sit or something else uninteresting on). Spike slid down the ladder, holding the dusty book in his hand.
"Hey Twilight, why didn't you look in this before, isn't the universe ripping itself apart a disas..." Spike gripped his stomach as another jab of pain hit him "Oh, Past Spike should of thought more about Future Spike..."

Twilight levitated the book over to her as quickly as air resistance would let her (which was fairly fast, seeing as it was only a book and there wasn't that short a space to go anyway). She flipped through the pages quickly with her magic, a skill she had mastered as a filly, she reached a page that caught her eye. She leaned closer to the book to read the small words that covered to page, she read the title again 'Time Paradoxes', she thought hard about how to fix it as existence itself destroyed itself at an alarming rate outside (I'm not sure how fast alarming is, seeing as existence destroying itself at any speed would be alarming, whatever speed it's destroying itself at, I'm sure it is way to fast). Twilight suddenly realised something.
"Of course! If I went back in time to warn my self, I must of used the Time Travel spell, but since I didn't, I shouldn't have technically been in the library or have been worried about the disaster, but I was, which confused existence so it's now destroying itself!"

Twilight was proud of herself for figuring it out, but then her door was ripped off it's hinges into the world outside. Twilight quickly teleported to the Canterlot Castle Library, before the screaming death of the black hole forming outside got any nearer. Twilight dashed towards the exact position she had been in earlier, the spell was still there. Twilight smiled as she quickly read the scroll again, her horn lit up and she travelled back in time. The scene from earlier that week played out again, and of course, Twilight still returned before she could utter her important point. The universe seemed to have settled itself, the moon was no longer crashing down towards the earth that required a pony with a coat of green and a mane of yellow to stop it. The beaches of Devon from the human inhabited planet 'Earth' no longer floated through the clear sky. Mass didn't constantly change state from liquid to gas to solid constantly. Everything was normal.

Twilight sat down on the floor, gave out a sigh of relief and then slept, saving Equestria was hard work after all.



Pinkie bounded along the halls of the Safe Haven, that's what she called it anyway. It was actually a place between realities, between dimensions and between universes where cartoon characters who went to 'Broken Fourth Wall University' could come to at any time to converse and relax. Pinkie called it the Safe Haven because she liked to use it to escape reality, and of course, the destruction of reality. She turned to the viewer, as all graduates from Broken Fourth Wall University tended to do from time to time, she winked and continued to bounce along the endless halls of the Safe Haven...

The End

Comments ( 4 )

Wow time travel can do some freaky stuff. :twilightoops:

1716323
Indeed it can, time paradoxes are usually incredibly destructive and tend to destroy the fabric of space and time.
Still, I don't think I did a good job with this fan-fiction, I just watched the episode and the idea came to my head. Now I'm going to go back to the drawing board so I can wipe it clean, rotate it ninety degrees and use it as a dining table.

One of many reasons time travel confuses me.

Login or register to comment