• Published 16th Apr 2024
  • 192 Views, 3 Comments

Redemption's Shadow - Whooves235



Sombra has survived death yet again, and with the threat of imprisonment by the princess's has no choice but to seek reformation, and so Blue Crest the Night Guard General takes him in, learning there's more to him then there seems....

  • ...
3
 3
 192

Chapter 6: Dinner with a King

Ponyville - Blue's House

Sombra would take a few steps out of the shower, to dry himself off, absentmindedly brushing his mane from the mess they'd become. He was still new to the technology of the time, and these new automated showers were something that still confused him. He would notice Blue standing close to the door, and chime up "Do you... think I should do something with my mane?"

Blue smiled softly as he looked to the stallion "Hm...maybe...it depends on what you would wanna do with it."

"I... I don't know, but I suppose such a long mane isn't exactly fashion forward..." Sombra turned his head a bit, looking somewhat bothered by something. If Blue had to guess, he was feeling his age.

"Hm..." Blue hummed softly as he walked up to the stallion, brushing a bit of his wet mane to the side as he looked to him "I personally think...you look very handsome with a long mane" He said "But...if you wanna change it...I can help you choose some styles."

For a moment, Sombra said nothing, he wasn't used to the complements, especially one about him being handsome "I am not sure. The thought just crept on me after the walk back from the library. Maybe I just need a moment to think about it." Sombra smiled a bit, looking at the pegasus, laughing quietly. "You look like a baby bird."

Blue chuckled quietly as he blushed from the comment, acting quite bashful as he looked to the side "I-..I do?"

"Well, right now at least. Very fluffy."

"Our floof gets softer when the Winter season comes around...so it's extra soft this time around" He said smiling as he looked to Sombra, happy to see the stallion in a good mood.

"I shall go and put some clothes on, then we can depart" The stallion disappeared into his room, trimming his sideburns into a more neat form and wearing clothing a little less... attention gathering than his usual armor. He had been somewhat insistent on wool, remembering fondly the woolen, warm garments of his foalhood. A knit dark red sweater and a long black coat make him feel secure. And he had to admit, he quite enjoyed the look.

Blue on the otherhoof would be downstairs, in a rather casual outfit. A nice brown sweater with a Tanish scarf. Wearing some dark pants. He looked to Sombra smiling "You look really nice."

Sombra smiled a bit. "You as well. Lead the way then."

The stallion nodded as he walked out leading Sombra around town. It was lively to say the least, most ponies still doing their usual business. Blue smiled as he walked alongside Sombra. Eventually they made their way to the restaurant part of town, and Blue led Sombra to a building that slightly resembled Crystal Empire architecture.

Sombra stopped for a moment, taking in the architecture: "... well built. Solid. Is it new?"

Blue nodded "Ever since the Empire came back, Equestria and The Empire have been wanting to trade some culture...so some businesses were opened in Equestria. This is a restaurant that sells Crystal Empire delicacies."

"Is it... is it ran by a Crystal Pony?" Sombra looked worried.

"I don't think so, I think the Crystal ponies just helped to build it and organize it. The pony who runs it would be local."

"I see..." Sombra tapped his hoof to his chin: "...shame, the royal chef made some gorgeous dinners... if you discount the occasional poisoning." Sombra still looked nervous, and it was just barely visible in his eyes: he worried how the others would look at him, dining in a place that so clearly mirrored the empire he had usurped. "Have you visited it before?"

"Mhm, they had some good food" He said smiling, the stallion looking happy "I figured this would be a nice place to go too, and it might make you feel a bit nice to be surrounded by familiar things."

"It would, yes. It's been so long since I tasted Crystal Empire food." Sombra followed him inside, and tried to calm his paranoid self. "Do you need a reservation?"

"Only on a busy day, we should be fine for now" Blue said as he walked up to the host and smiled "Table for two please."

Sombra pretended not to notice the momentary pause in the restaurant's host gaze, but all in all, she was the very model of professionalism. They were led to a table a bit away from prying eyes and ears, which Sombra was relieved for.

Blue sat down and smiled as he quickly ordered some drinks "So uh...this place looks nice to you yea?" He asked.

Sombra nodded: "The colors are more modern, no way we could have achieved such brilliant colors with natural dyes, but... yes. It is familiar. Makes me wonder..." Sombra let his voice die down as his drink, an unsweetened tea was placed in front of him. "They've done their research well, though." Sombra took a sip of his drink, smiling a little. "I'm... a little surprised they had dandelion and grass tea."

Blue chuckled "Well I'm glad you're enjoying yourself" He said "So...if I could poke your mind a bit...what was the Empire like 1000 years ago? I've only ever read about it in history books."

"Well... depends on the angle you're looking at, I suppose." Another sip, "All in all, one could say that the empire was prosperous. The most recent war had been over for almost 100 years, and while food was still imported, especially grain, mostly... life was decent for most, even if there were still poor around and poor districts here and there." Sombra paused to pour a drink of the tea to Blue's cup: "... Dandelion and grass was considered a peasant... no, rather, a poor pony's drink."

Really?" He said, taking his cup and sipping from it "This tastes quite nice...what were the other options then?"

"Grass and dandelions were... well, all over, remarkably good at surviving, so it was easy to use even if you could barely afford anything else." Sombra took a sip: "...takes me back to my foalhood." There was a pause as the umbrum thought back: "For ponies who could afford it, spring spruce was fairly common, though even that was a peasant dish. And it was mostly available only during spring. Then, actual tea and coffee were popular with the gentry. I took a liking to coffee, I won't lie. If you were very rich, maybe with apple included, sometimes even just the apple flowers. Which is, honestly, a waste."

"Huh...coffee is a rather affordable drink now, and Ponyville is the home of the Apple Family so you can get free Apples almost all the time" He said smiling as he took a sip "If you're lucky enough you can even get some Zap Apples too."

"The empire didn't have enough warm climate to accumulate apple farming, so ours were imported into the city." Sombra chuckled to him: "...Miss Chestnut always made us peel our apples, the rare few when we got them. Magic or wax to preserve wasn't good for growing foals, she said."

Blue smiled softly as he listened to him speak "She sounds like a nice mare."

"She was." Sombra didn't continue for a while, focusing on his drink: "There were... certain injustices present, of course, but I suppose for an average crystal pony, life was good. Starving was rare."

Blue nodded softly "You know uh...when I went and studied to become a general I read a book about you."

Sombra's ears swiveled to attention, "You did? I thought Celestia had me removed from most history books. Though, I suppose military would be held to a different standard."

Blue chuckled "Oh she did...you just needed to know where to look" He said winking slightly.

"Hmm, what, did you seduce some lonely librarian?" Sombra teased back with a dry smile: "... what did it say?"

"Well...it was actually an interesting book tackling the Empires corrupt ideology at the time...it went over your take over but it didn't focus on your...injustices but rather the small improvements you attempted to make as well as your ideology going into it."

Sombra blushed a bit: "... I wish I could say it was because of some temporary altruism, but the truth is most of the improvements were for practicality."

"Even so...those things did actually help in the end...some ponies liked some of the things you did to help improve things, and they went on to improve upon them and put them into current society" Blue said taking a sip of his tea "For example, your studies on alchemical magic helped Unicorns produce food for the poor as well as make more materials for ponies who needed them."

Sombra blushed more, focusing intently on pouring himself another cup: "I was simply curious... And food production had to made more efficient for my goals." The stallion felt nice knowing some of the things he did had been useful, had been... made possible by him. "Do you know why the empire has the star-like pattern in its street design?"

He shook his head "Not really no, I always just thought it was like that."

Sombra seemed to perk up now even more: "Oh, no, no, initially the empire was a hodgepodge of houses in narrow streets and snaking roads. Besides being somewhat difficult to traverse with a cart and... well... occasional mugging here and there, I did make the street design more geometrical. After all, the ground had already been torn up to find the Umbrum prison, might as well, right? But I did something a little more. The entire city's main streets, Emerald Street in the north, Ruby in west, Sapphire in south and Diamond in east, was laid carefully over a natural magical leyline." The stallion paused, accepting their entrees: "Mmh, this is tasty... Anyway, with that and a couple runes in right places, the entire city became a magical siphon, with the trapped Crystal Heart in the highest tower acting as a focus point allowing me to cast that curse that made the empire disappear. Technically, I -or anyone else gifted in magic- could do it again."

"Wait so the reason it's called the 'Crystal' Empire is because of you? I always thought the Princess had made it look how it did now" He said as he began to eat as well, humming at how good the food was "That's really impressive...you have a really good taste in architecture."

"Oh, no, you misunderstand. Crystal has always been a construction material, it just never had much...zoning laws. The Empire got its start as an Earth pony kingdom somewhere around Grogar's time, at least that is what the prevalent theory was back then. Aside from the poorest districts, houses were made from crystal."

"Oh I see...but it sounds like you helped to greatly improve how it looked" He said.

Sombra blushed and smirked: "That 'I cast the largest spell in history' boast went completely past you, didn't it?" Sombra took a moment to focus on his food, and he had to say, aside from a few more modern techniques, the flavors were familiar and comforting.

Blue laughed softly "You don't have to try too hard to impress me you know Sombra... I'm already impressed of you as it is...honestly I love hearing you talk about all of your knowledge and experiences."

Sombra blushed a bit, and took another forkful of dinner: "It's... so strange being complimented like that. It's... not something I'm used to."

"Well...like my good friend Orion once told me. Have the courage to be kind, even to those who may seem like they don't want it" He said smiling "And...I think you deserve to have kindness given to you."

"...You would have been so strange in my time." the stallion muttered, smiling slightly. "...what else would you want to hear about the empire?"

"What was the culture like? Surely it would be different than it is now yes?"

Sombra paused as he struggled to explain the differences in something he remembered as being natural, no-need-to-explain things: "Well... We discussed food culture already. You probably know about Crystal Faire...Hmm...Oh, there is one thing that is vastly different. Culture around cutie marks."

"Oh really? I always assumed it was the same. How is it different?" He asked.

"Well, getting a cutie mark wasn't as widely celebrated in the Empire as it was in Equestria at the time, or now. It was... a proof of becoming an adult, in a way. While foals with cutie marks were still considered well, foals, could however, start to gain experience in their field of expertise as an apprentice. Magic schools at the time didn't even accept students with too far-off cutie marks, not to even speak of blank flanks." The stallion took a pause, his ears swiveling just a bit: "... I... have experience with that, unfortunately." Blank flanks -like I was thought to be-, were considered good for nothing. And I mean that literally. Blank flanks were good with nothing. If you had a family who could support you, you could find some manual labor work in a family farm or business, but if you lacked those safety nets..."

Another pause, as Sombra took a mouthful and swallowed: "I believe the Apple family's youngest was a blank flank for a long time? In her case, back in the Empire's hayday, she would have had her family support her by giving her some work to do in a farm. It wouldn't be important work, but it would be work to gain a small amount of bridles, maybe even bits to her name. But she likely wouldn't inherit much aside from a calculated allowance. An orphan however would have a lot tougher time. Not many places would want someone who would never amount to something as good as one with a cutie mark, especially educated fields. Some... some had to turn to ah... questionable means of procuring a living. Crime, usually."

"That...sounds rough..." Blue said, frowning as he thought it over, all those fillies and colts who grew up living like that "Why...would the Empire support that kind of behavior? It doesn't seem beneficial at all to the prosperity of the civilization."

"It... it is hard to change tradition, especially in one fell swoop. It just... was as it was." Sombra shook his head: "Either way, I am positively elated to hear that is hardly what happens today."

"Oh heavens no, if it did you would be shunned for even trying to act like it" He said "Thankfully I have yet to see anything like that happen."

"Mmh.Hmm... what else... Oh, there's some changes in magic usage and learning. I heard sorcerers are no longer a separate class."

"Oh yea, everypony can be whatever kind of sorcerer they wanna be" Blue said smiling softly.

"Ah, in the past sorcerer was the title of a magic practitioner with no formal education. An educated, learned mage was a wizard, while sorcerers usually were either self-studied -like myself- or under the tutelage of some other sorcerer." Sombra smiled a little: "Usually the distinction could be seen in how the magic was cast."

"So... theoretically what kind of sorcerer could you be classed as?" Blue asked curiously.

"Self-learned sorcerer, though I suppose if I were to classify my spell repertoire..." Sombra thought, curious: "Illusionist would be the closest call, I think, with some dabbling in ah... more forbidden spells, like Grogarian necromancy... Sorcerers were known for being less focused on specific schools of magic, and more whatever they happened to learn, if I were to put it simply. While somepony like say, Star Swirl has very clear repertoire of evocation and transfiguration."I don't know if it makes sense..."

"That makes alot of sense to me" He said "Given what I have read and also seen for myself, I can absolutely see why you'd be an illusionist."

"Even if I may have ah... met Star Swirl some weeks ago and almost decked him in the face." Sombra scoffed, annoyed. "I used to idolize him when I was young, I wanted to be just like him... didn't turn out that way, and the old codger is still alive, because of course he is! "Oh, illusions are just parlor tricks my ass.' I should have parlor tricked my hoof so far up his-" Sombra fumed, then remembered where they were. "Dinner's good. Very good. Moving on."

Blue smirked softly "Hay...its ok" Blue said holding his hoof "Star Swirl is an absolute cunt" He chuckled "You should have seen what he was like to Twilight after she saved his ass from the void."

"Mmhm, I can only imagine..." The stallion laughed a bit: "Let us not talk of old codgers any longer. Besides souring my appetite, I dread it might summon a fletchling princess..."

"Of course" Blue said nodding softly.

"...this dinner really is good." Sombra said smiling.

"Mhm! They have really good food here" He said, smiling as he ate some more of his food "They are rich with flavor. By the way...I don't think I ever got to ask. What kind of hobbies do you enjoy doing? I rarely see you doing anything at home other than sleeping."

"... The magic blocking spell leaves me somewhat exhausted, admittedly, more so than usual." Sombra nodded: "Hobbies? I... don't... Hm." The stallion paused for a while, then continued: "I don't suppose I have a 'hobby' per say. I enjoy reading and magic theory, spellcraft. But if you are asking if I knit scarves for 'fun', no, no I do not. I try to keep myself in shape, but that is hardly an enjoyable task."

"I see...I believe that I've seen you come back from the gym every now and then..." Blue said, tapping a hoof to his chin "Are you interested in any hobbies? Maybe you could pick one up! I know there are tons of things you could try" he said smiling.

Hm... well, fortune favors the bold, I suppose. What would you suggest?"

"Well...I know this is kinda a stereotype, but it's also kinda fun. I know there's a very popular culture in Crystal Collecting. Ponies who collect different crystals, observe them, label them, and then keep them on a shelf for others to see. I've been told it's quite soothing for somepony who likes to have control over stuff or wants to own something." Blue said "There's also drawing, book clubs, magic clubs, and I know that the town hall hosts different activities daily for ponies to try!"

"You are telling one of the best sorcerers in history that he should join a magic club?" The stallion leaned forward, waiting for the pegasus' reaction. Sombra allowed Blue's thought to catch up and then continued: "Perhaps something yes, eventually, but I am not entirely sold on crystal collecting. I did that for years, except they had four legs and half a brain."

Blue chuckled at the crystal remark, Blue wasn't 100% afraid to laugh at dark humor. The stallion looking to Sombra "Well...if those things don't work then maybe you could try more physical hobbies? I partake in fencing and boxing myself" he said smiling "I like to keep myself fit."

"I noticed~ And it looks good on you, all that lean muscle..." Sombra smiled with a surprisingly warm glint in his eyes. "maybe we can come up with something, but I have never been a craftspony."

"I'm always willing to help" He said, blushing at the compliments to his body that Sombra was making.

The stallion took a sip of his drink, a dry white mulberry wine. "Hmm... there is something I used to do as a foal, that, if it isn't too foalish, I might be interested in resuming."

"Oh? What would that be?" He asked, curious as he tilted his head.

"Small gardens of common crops were popular at the time and when my... health permitted it, I enjoyed spending time there. Reading, or taking care of the garden. I admit, I wasn't terribly good at it, but it... was nice." Sombra smiled to himself, reminiscing: "Even if the orphanage's matron made me upend my pockets of little critters before heading back inside."

Blue actually felt a warmth in his heart after hearing this, smiling genuinely as he looked to him "That...really sweet..." He said "You know...I think Ponyville has a public garden that ponies can go too, I think Applejack is in charge of it" He said "And...if you'd like I can make room in my yard for a small garden as well."

Sombra's smile faltered a little at the mention of the element of honesty. "Maybe I will, and maybe we can do that later in the yard. I am...rusty in all manner of agriculture, and I imagine the field has progressed somewhat in the thousand years. But...would..." Sombra bit his lip, blushing slightly: "Would you come with me? At least for the first time?"

Blue nodded "Of course I will" he said smiling "Id be happy to come with, delighted even" he said, the stallion looking to the blushing Sombra, it was actually really adorable, Blue really did find this umbrum a handsome and cute pony. Not that he'd admit it just yet.

"It... might keep me in check, and ponies might not feel so alarmed when you're present." Sombra huffed, "Now, I do not know about you, but I still have the stomach for dessert."

"Oh 100% yes. Dessert sounds amazing" He said "I'm actually curious as to what delicacies the Crystal Empire have" He said.

"Back then... aside from nobility, sugar was hard to come by so I would expect a lot of fresh fruit and berries instead. Cream and maybe butter."

"..have you not had any of the current-day desserts?" He asked, tilting his head.

Sombra shook his head: "I partake in sweets rarely. And the modern ones are just too sweet for my tongue."

"Are you...aware of what the current day desserts are?" He asked.

Sombra tilted his head with a questioning look but said nothing, motioning him to continue.

Blue would smile softly "I think you're going to enjoy what's coming" he said, before the waiter came back with two cups of Vinnila Ice Cream with Chocolate Syrup, a tray of brownies, and some rather tasty-looking chocolate strawberries.

Sombra looked surprised: "Hmm... They look good. Indulgent, even. And I admit.. I love to indulge on occasion~" The stallion smiled, picking up a strawberry. "Hmh...!"

"Oh trust me, you're going to absolutely melt in your seat once you try this stuff" he said, smiling as he was already eating up his ice cream.

Sombra took a bite out of the ice cream and Blue could see his expression shift: "Mmfh... it's cold? Wh...wh..."

"Mhm! It's called Ice Cream" he said smiling.

"The taste is good, but it's strange eating something this cold..." Sombra said.

"You get used to it, it's why some come with hot fudge, it's somewhat buried at the bottom of the cup" Blue said.

"I see... Well, it is decent, the brownie though. While I mean no offense to the chef, it is far too sweet for my palate."

"That's fair... it's pure chocolate after all" Blue chuckled.

"Mmhmm... overall a successful dessert."

"Indeed so" He said, licking his lips "You wanna take the long way back home? I know a trip through the park at night time is very calming" he said smiling.

Sombra nodded, eyes focusing for a moment on Blue's lips, but averted their gaze when the server approached.

The server would give the two their bill, to which Blue would put down some bits, and smile as he got up from his seat "Shall we?" Blue said, offering a hoof to Sombra.

Sombra didn't say anything, momentarily pausing with a slightly lopsided, dry smirk: "I am not so old to not be able to stand on my own."

Blue chuckled "It's just a form of being a gentlestallion goofball" He said, the stallion rolling his eyes playfully.

Sombra chuckled as he grabbed Blue's hoof, softly getting up as the two of them left the door to enter the night.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment