• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 834 Views, 9 Comments

Nightmares - FanofAwesomeness



First installment of the Nocturnal Series.

  • ...
0
 9
 834

Help

Twilight knew that there was only one pony that she could talk to about this. But she had to be carefuthat she didn't give away too much information. If she did, he would begin to fall into insanity as well. So she left for the only pegasus that knows magic. She went to Nightwolf's house.

As Twilight knocked on the door, she heard somepony inside hit something. As the door opened, Nightwolf said, "I was kinda buisy, you know. Now if you wouldn't mind," He looked up. "Oh. Sorry Twilight. What can I do for you?"

"I need some help with something," she said. "How much do you know about the last few ponies that went insane?"

"You're looking into the insanity of other ponies?" Nightwolf said, shocked. "That's probably not the best idea. Studying the insane can drive you insane."

"I know you're looking into it, too. Just tell me what you know," Twilight said, annoyed.

"I really don't want to," Nightwolf replied. "It hasn't exactly left me sleeping peacefully."

"What?!" Twilight said. "You've been having nightmares? Please dont tell me that it has a shadow-"

"That floats around wearing armor and Umbra Blades," Nightwolf finished. "Yeah. That's the one. He kills me in every one of them. But my mind doesnt react like it should. I've learned one thing from this. Don't spread the story."

"How'd you learn that?"

"By recieving the nightmares after seeing the story in the subconscious minds of the last three ponies. I was working on the fourth when you got here."

"We need to find a way to stop him."

"Him?" Nightwolf asked.

"Nocturne. That's his name," Twilight replied.

"How do you know this?" Nightwolf asked.

"I was the one who got the story. Princess Celestia sent it to me. The first victim must have snuck in and read it while I was asleep. That's when it all got started. Anypony who knows the story is at risk."

"And you need to get some help immediately!" Nightwolf screamed. "If you know his name, that could end up causing him to be stronger! I need to take a look at your subconscious. Now."

"What?" Twilight asked. "How are you going to do that? Is it going to hurt?"

"It'll be as painless as possible," Nightwolf said. And with that, he struck a match and began to light the candles.

After waiting for a good 23 minutes, Twilight felt something. It was strange. "Hello?" Nightwolf asked.

"I'm right in front of you," Twilight said. That's when she noticed that his eyes were closed and he didn't appear to be breathing. "Nightwolf?"

"I'm in your head right now," He replied. "My physical body isn't containing my spirit. It won't be working as it normally would."

"You should've told me that sooner."

"Sorry."

"Just do what you're in there to do."

"Alright," he said.

It's strange having another pony in my head, Twilight thought.

"I hope you realize that I can hear your thoughts," Nightwolf called out. "It's wierd being in here. It's so much more organized than most pony's minds."

"You heard what I thought?" Twilight asked.

"Yeah. Just don't think of ay deep, dark secret and we'll be fine. Now where is the subconscious hallway?"

She was stunned. If Nightwolf could heard whatever she said or thought right now, then she had better not think of anything specifically concerning Nocturne.

"Holy Celestia!" Nightwolf screamed. Twilight felt a searing pain in her head when he did.

"What?" Twilight asked. "What happened?"

"I'm trying to get out of here!" Nightwolf said, panting. "He's in here!" Twilight could hear and feel Nightwolf's hoofsteps and was wondering what exactly he was running from. Then she remembered Nocturne and connected it to what Nightwolf had said.

"Can't you just end the spell whenever you want?" Twilight suggested.

"Do you really think I wouldn't have tried that?" Nightwolf said. "The spell cuts off automatically at 10 minutes. He can't stop that. Unless he kills me."

"Won't that just send you back and wake you up?" Twilight asked.

"If this were my head, yes," Nightwolf said. "But the rules are different if you're in somepony else's head. If he kills me in here, then my mortal body will die and I'll be trapped in your head. Then you will end up involutarily letting me take over. Eventually, Neither one of us will survive because no two pony's can exist in the same body. Are you understanding what I'm saying?"

"That if Nocturne kills you while you're in my head, both of us will die."

"Exactly," Nightwolf said, panting. His hoofsteps had stopped. "You could help me hold him off by falling asleep. But don't do anything that will get you killed. That will just complicate things even more."

"Alright," Twilight said, laying down. "I'm coming in."

Once Twilight was asleep, she realized that she was in darkness. There was no light. Then she heard hoofsteps pounding on the floor and was crashed into by Nightwolf. "Good," he said. "You're here."

"Why is it so dark?" Twilight asked.

"Because he's the one controlling the environment," Nightwolf answered. "He doesn't control us, though. We have to keep moving. Once time is up, I'll wake you up, ok?"

"Sounds good," Twilight answered. "Just one question."

"Yeah?"

"Where is he?"

"Um," Nightwolf said. "I kinda lost track of him as soon as I paused."

"How do we avoid something that we don't know where it is?" Twilight asked.

"You don't," hissed Nocturne from behind them. Both of them screamed. Nighwolf grabbed Twilight and jumped into the air so he could fly away but was pushed down by sudden pressure. "I control this world. You two will bring me the town inexchange for your sanity and your lives."

"And if we refuse?" Nightwolf asked.

"Then you will both die slowly enough to regret your choice," Nocturne replied, circling them. "What is your choice?"

"I choose to fight," Twilight said. "I'm not going to hand over the town that houses my friends."

"And I'm not just going to sit by and watch you destroy my sistaer's home," Nightwolf agreed. "We fight."

"Unwise," Nocturne said, turning to face them.

"Twilight!" Nightwolf screamed. "Get down!" He raised his hoof as Twilight dropped to the floor. "Vidyudvadhisu!" A bolt of lightning flew out and struck Nocturne on the left side of his chest plate. "Come on!"

Twilight jumped up and followed Nightwolf through the labyrinth that was her mind. Every new twist and turn was unfamiliar. But this is my mind, thought Twilight. How do I not know this?

"Because you never took a trip throught your mind," Nightwolf answered. "I can still hear your thoughts."

As they rounded the corner, Nocturne emerged out of the wall and cut them off. "You are clever, pegasi," he said. "You remind me of another much longer ago."

"Well I do tend to bring balance to most things," Nightwolf said. "In this case, this fight between you and us."

"You are a Balancer," he said. "That is why you still survive. That is why you can do what you can. That is what gives you power."

"What's he talking about?" Twilight asked quietly.

"How the hay should I know?" Nightwolf answered. "You're the second one to call me that," he said to Nocturne. "What does that mean?"

"It means that you are stalling," Nocturne replied. He leaped into the air. Nightwolf just stood up straight and stayed there. Nocturne swung his blade down onto Nightwolf's head...

But instead hit the tile flooring. Nightwolf had disappeared. The spell had timed out. And any second, Nightwolf would be waking up Twilight.

"Twilight!" she heard him scream. "Twilight, wake up!" She squeezed her eyes shut and opened them.

But there were the same surroundings. She was trapped. "You cannot escape me so easily, fool," Nocturne said. "You will stay here until I let you go. You will-"

Twilight felt a shock in her chest and woke up with a start. "Thank Celestia you're alright," Nightwolf said.

"How did you wake me up?" Twilight asked, her heart trying to beat out of her chest.

"Electric restart," Nightwolf said. "I shocked you and jumpstarted your heart into waking you up."

Comments ( 4 )

The story's going a bit fast. Maybe it would help to slow down and explain things. Details would help with that. Even if the action is fast details can slow it down enough for the reader to comprehend what's happening. Otherwise this is really cool. :twilightsmile:

1408089 Thanks for the tip. The next chapter is details and explinations, though. But it's always helpful to have people who give honest critique.

Sir, *puts on a cowboy hat* i tip my hat to you. :ajsmug: The story is BOUSE! Though i must agree with Amethyst Hope, it's a bit fast. You know it would be nice if you somehow connected this story with Recovery, not just with characters. That would be quite the sweet thing to read.:pinkiehappy:

1896951 This is a different story that has almost nothing to do with my first storyline. This barely connects to the others. And it's the first of four stories, so look forward to the next three(whic will be a little slower paced). But thanks for the comment.

Login or register to comment