• Published 3rd Oct 2012
  • 1,334 Views, 17 Comments

Sixty seconds is all I need - thetrapezoid



Rainbow Dash has a minute to retrieve a lost chest of gems

  • ...
4
 17
 1,334

This is the only chapter

Sixty Seconds is all I need

It was a beautiful, sunny day in Equestria, but Rarity was too busy to notice or even care.

“Where is it? Where is it? I can’t find them ANYWHERE!” she shouted as she frantically ran around her room. “ANYWHERE.” She collapsed on the floor and placed her hoof atop her head in the usual dramatic fashion.

Her friend, Rainbow Dash, was sleeping on a nearby cloud when she heard the noise. She quickly flew down to Rarity’s window to hear what the fuss was about.

“Rarity, what’s wrong?” she asked.

“Oh, Rainbow Dash. It’s just horrible. HORRIBLE.” Rarity had flipped onto her back, still lying on the floor.

“What happened?”

“Well, last week, I was short on gemstones. RARE gemstones that can only be found in the caves beneath Canterlot. So I borrowed some from the local bank in order to finish a set of clothes for an important client. You see, this client is from across the sea in the Crystal Kingdom. I had to get the clothes shipped out before the export taxes increased due to the…”

“All right, get on with it.” Rainbow’s concerned expression was turning into a bored one.

“Well, I need to give the gemstones back to the bank today. I went to Canterlot to mine more, but on my way back, I left them on the train, and it is headed back toward Canterlot now. The banker will be arriving at the boutique in only a minute. If I don’t give him back the gemstones now, my perfect credit score will be ruined. FOREVER.”

“Rarity,” began the pegasus as she shook her head, “You’re talking to the fastest mare in Equestria. I’ll catch up to the train and get those gems for you before the banker gets here.”

“Rainbow Dash, you’d do that? Thank you so much, but can you really get them in only a minute?”

“Sixty seconds is all I need,” said the pegasus as she flew off toward Canterlot.
-----------------------------------------------------

00:05 – Rainbow Dash accelerates to mach speed. A rainbow is formed out of her flight path.

00:10 – She manages to spot the Friendship Express, at top speed toward Canterlot.

00:13 – Swooping down to get a closer look, Rainbow realizes she should have asked Rarity which car she was staying in.

00:15 – She slows down close to the speed of the train, and flies down toward a window at the back of the train.

00:18 – Rainbow flies alongside the train, peering through the windows as she tries to find a sign of her friend’s lost items.

00:32 – She comes a small chest which looks like Rarity’s in the second car. She spots an open window nearby in which she can enter the train. She doesn’t spot the approaching tunnel ahead.

00:33 – Rainbow Dash crashes head first on the side of the tunnel. The train zooms past her and disappears into the blackness.

00:42 – The injured Pegasus picks herself up. Realizing that the train isn’t going to pop out the other end for another hour, she decides to head back to Carousel Boutique, hoping maybe to stall the banker until the train emerges again.

00:48 – Rainbow Dash performs a sonic rainboom, once again reaching top speed.

00:55 – Rainbow Dash arrives back at the boutique. She sees the banker knocking on her door. 00:57 – She calls out to Rarity through her window, but Rarity is already gone.

00:60 – Realizing that she had failed to accomplish her goal in time; she vows to try again, with the help of a purple unicorn.
-------------------------------------------------------

“Twilight!” shouted Rainbow Dash as she crashed through her bedroom window. “Remember how you learned the rewind spell during your trip to the Canterlot archives?”

Twilight grudgingly turned to address the pony who had damaged her house, again. “Yeah, what about it?”

“I need you to use the spell on me, and rewind my life to a little more than a minute ago. If you don’t, Rarity’s credit score will be ruined.”

Twilight’s annoyance suddenly turned to anxiety. “Oh no! Not her precious credit score. How did it happen anyway?”

“No time to explain, just rewind me back to a little more than a minute ago.”

Twilight’s horn began to glow. Rainbow Dash disappeared and found herself hovering outside Carousel Boutique again.

“Sixty seconds is all I need,” she said.
------------------------------------------------------

00:06 – Previously dazed, Rainbow Dash realizes that the spell had worked, and that she was already behind her previous attempt. Rarity was trying to say something during this time, but Rainbow didn’t get the message.

00:11 – Rainbow Dash reaches top speed, as she heads toward the exact location of the train.

00:16 – She spots the train, and immediately dives down toward the second car.

00:20 – She manages to get into the car through the open window she saw last time.

00:22 – Rainbow Dash spots the chest and picks it up by the handle with her teeth.

00:24 – While trying to get out of the train, she bumps into another mare with an angry look in her eyes.

00:26 – The mare tells Rainbow that the chest belongs to her.

00:28 – Not having any time to argue, Rainbow pushes the mare out of the way and heads toward the open window.

00:29 – The mare, being a unicorn, magically grabs a hold of Rainbow’s hind leg, causing the pegasus to trip and fall over.

00:31 – Rainbow kicks the unicorn in the horn with her free leg, causing the magic around her leg to disperse.

00:33 – Rainbow picks herself up and grabs a hold of the chest again.

00:34 – The train enters the tunnel, and Rainbow Dash realizes that she can’t get out the way she came in.

00:35 – She opens the door to the next car, hoping to escape out the back.

00:45 – After plowing through many passengers and doors, Rainbow Dash escapes out the last car, with the chest still intact in her teeth.

00:50 – Rainbow escapes out the tunnel at mach speed.

00:57 – Rainbow Dash arrives back at the boutique and head straight for the front door where the banker is.

00:60 – She startles the banker so much that he jumps away from the door. Rarity opens the door to her boutique.
--------------------------------------------------------

“Mr. Banker. Rarity has the gems she promised she’d pay back,” said Rainbow Dash to the banker.

“Um, Rainbow…” began Rarity.

“No, no, no need to thank me. It was all in a day’s work,” said Rainbow, “Perhaps a minute’s work in this case.”

As she opened the chest to reveal the contents of the chest to the banker, her proud face turned to shock. The chest was filled with nothing but clothes and books.

“Is this some kind of joke?” asked the banker.

Rarity magically lifted Rainbow Dash into her boutique and slammed the door. “Rainbow, that isn’t my chest,” she said.

“Oh. Oops.”

“You didn’t ask me what my chest looks like. You just took off before I could finish describing it.”

“Sorry, I’ll remember to do that next time.”

“But there isn’t a next time. My credit score is RUINED.”

“Rarity, there is always a next time.”

Before Rarity could respond, Rainbow dash had bolted out the door and headed toward the library.

She attempted to break her way through the window like she did last time, only to crash on the surface of it and fall to the ground. A moment later, Twilight opened the door to greet her friend.

“Remember Rainbow, the rewind spell affects both the caster and the target, so I reinforced the window there so you wouldn’t break it again. I had a feeling you might want come back for another try.”

Rainbow Dash got up from the ground. “Twilight, I need you to use it again. I grabbed the wrong chest.”

“First explain to me the details of Rarity’s credit score.”

“No time to explain, just do it again.”

“Rainbow, the rewind spell works up to five minutes. You can spend the next three and a half telling me the details. I should have realized that the first time.”

Rainbow Dash quickly relayed the details of Rarity’s situation to Twilight.

“Hmm, alright,” said Twilight. “Let’s rewind time then.”

There was a flash of magic and Rainbow Dash found herself flying outside Rarity’s window again. “Sixty seconds is all I need,” she said.
----------------------------------------------------------

00:00 – Rainbow asks Rarity for the details of the gems’ location on the train.

00:08 – Rainbow flies off toward the train.

00:18 – Rainbow Dash arrives at the train and dives down toward the open window of the second car.

00:22 – Rainbow Dash gets inside the train and walks toward the first car.

00:28 – Rainbow arrives at the seat the Rarity said she was occupying. Expecting to see Rarity’s chest there, she instead finds nothing.

00:34 – After looking under the table and all around the car, she still can’t find her friend’s stuff. At this point the train has entered the tunnel.

00:36 – One of the conductors asks the frantic pegasus what she is looking for.

00:39 – Rainbow Dash describes the chest that belonged to Rarity.

00:42 – The conductor tells Rainbow he didn’t see any such thing the entire trip.

00:45 – Rainbow Dash sits down, utterly confused. She attempts to figure out what happened.

00:55 – Twilight teleports onto the train. Rainbow questions what she is doing here.

00:57 – Twilight says nothing and teleports teleports Rainbow and herself back to Carousel Boutique.

00:60 – Rainbow spots an open chest lying on the floor. It is filled with gems.
--------------------------------------------------------

Rainbow wasn’t too pleased with what she was seeing.

“You had the chest of gems the WHOLE TIME?”

“Yeah, I guess I did,” said Rarity completely embarrassed.

“I came over to Rarity’s after using the rewind spell,” said Twilight. “Turns out it was under her bed the whole time.”

“But… I wanted to be the hero who saves Rarity’s precious credit score. But I guess I’m completely worthless compared to Ms. Teleportation here.”

“Rainbow, the fact that you were willing to go so far as save my credit score shows that you’re still MY hero,” Rarity said.

“Thanks,” said Rainbow Dash.

There was some loud knocking coming from downstairs. “Hello?” shouted the banker.

“Ooh, that’s for me,” said Rarity.

Rarity went downstairs with the gems enveloped in her magic.

“So, how did you know that Rarity probably just misplaced the gems?” asked Rainbow.

“She tends to overdramatize things. I just teleported over here and helped her...”

Rarity came bursting through the door to the bedroom.

“Twilight. I accidentally insulted him. Use the rewind spell on me to restart our conversation.”

Twilight’s horn glowed as she targeted the rewind spell at Rarity.

“So how did you know that Rarity probably just misplaced the gems?” asked Rainbow, again.

Twilight tried to think of different response.

“I’m Psychic,” said Twilight.

“Really? Just like Pinkie Pie?”

“Pinkie Pie isn’t technically…”

Rarity burst into the room again.

“Twilight, I stuttered when I talked. Use the spell on me again.”

Twilight sighed and began to cast the spell again.

“Wow, and I thought I was self conscious,” said Rainbow Dash.

The End

Comments ( 17 )

...................This was........random to say the least

I shall read it later!!!

Hasbro if you're reading this please make this an episode in Season 3, this will be too funny! :rainbowlaugh:

Who's the real troll here, Twilight, Rarity, or RD? :trixieshiftright:

I like this! LOL!

I love this. Don't ask me why, but I do. :pinkiehappy:

Awesome Story. There should be a sequel to this.

An interesting style. Its a comedy and I lol'd, so this is a great fic as far as I'm concerned.

1380889
The writers do not read fanfiction, if you pay attention to the panel they had at bronycon, they mention not reading fanfiction, and the way they say so makes it seem like company policy. Or I'm just misinterpreting things, in which case, if there are any writers reading this, I second this.

I liked it. Kinda written in the style of that book... called something something 43rd dimension. I forget the name. :D

1381376 Wish they would, after all I've seen tons of fanfics that look like they would make great episodes. :ajsleepy: Not that the offical seasons aren't good enough, far from it. :twilightoops:

1380908
D, All of the above.

1381018
Yes. Yes there should be.

my god... this... this is amazing.

Just got back from work and... Wow. I'm surprised and pleased by the positive feedback this is getting, though I'm a bit worried about the lack of constructive criticism that I usually get. But thank you all for the kind words.

1381018
I have no idea how to make a sequel to this as it was meant to be a one-shot from the very beginning. :twilightoops:
I could do a story with a similar style of writing, but I don't feel like I can add anything more to this particular story. Unless someone else here has an idea.

Lulz. Nice that you picked two ponies who get little on-screen interaction for this one. I think Rainbow and Rarity actually spoke more words to each other in this fic than they have during the entirely of the show itself.

Just nit-picking, but I seem to recall Twilight saying that you can only go back in time once. But for this story, I'll give it a pass. :derpytongue2:

EVERY SECOND MATTERS! KEEP PUSHING! DON'T BLINK!

Login or register to comment