• Published 16th Oct 2023
  • 328 Views, 2 Comments

In Victory, We Are the Losers - daOtterGuy



Even when he wins, Rockhoof still loses

  • ...
0
 2
 328

Advance

Captain Brick Wall stood resolute on the town ramparts. His city was to be assaulted by a monstrous pony, nearly the height of the walls. His second joined him, breathing heavily from racing across town after Brick had sent a messenger to fetch him.

“What are your orders, Sir?” his Second asked.

“... The walls will not hold,” Brick declared morosely. “Gather the entire garrison and charge at the beast in the field. We will stop him before he reaches us.”

“But what if we fail? The town will be unprotected!”

Brick Wall looked at his Second. Desperation and hopelessness clouded his expression. They were defeated. He knew that, his second now knew that. They did not go out to win. They went out to stall the monster to give the town time to flee.

“... I will gather the soldiers.” A salute, and his Second was gone.

He returned his focus to the monstrosity that approached them. A lumbering titan of jagged stone and scarred skin. Laurel entwined his braided mane and head in the shape of a crown. Arcs of magic raced across his body, spelling out glyphs of unknown origin. A small impish creature flitted about his head doing… something. Brick couldn’t discern its purpose or intentions.

They would all die. There was no doubt in Brick’s mind. They would act as the shields they were sworn to be and hopefully delay the inevitable advance of the sheer force of nature that had unfortunately cast its gaze upon them.

Reading his rites, he hefted his spear and made his way down the ramparts to join the assault from the front. Captain Brick Wall would die.

But he wouldn’t die without a fight.

Comments ( 1 )

Another good story. Funnily, even though it's horrific, Rockhoof's level ups have a satisfying feel to them, so that's a case of the characters and readers harmonizing.

Login or register to comment