• Published 4th Jun 2023
  • 313 Views, 2 Comments

High, Mom and Dad - Mike_Tubapun



Big Mac gets some closure she didn't know she needed

  • ...
11
 2
 313

It's Me

Big Mac’s mind almost shattered. She should’ve thought about this. Mom and Dad had been; she didn’t like the word, but, well; gone for almost a decade now. They had no way of knowing about her, why hadn’t she considered that they’d need to have the news broken to em.

“You okay, son?” Asked Bright Mac, the term tearing into her like a hot knife through so much emotional butter. Was the barn this red a moment ago?

“‘m fine pops....” she said quietly, struggling not to revert fully to the“Eeyup”s and “Nope”s she had hid behind for so long. “Just, a lot to tell about.” So much had happened since that night. She had to tell them about Applejack’s role in saving Equestria, the new Princess who lived in town, Pinkie being a new member of the family, Apple Bloom’s Cutie Mark Crusading. She had waited to tell the rest of her family about herself, she could wait a bit longer to tell her parents, right? She stepped a little clumsily over to the chair they had moved out for her (was the ground softer than usual?) and began to regale them with the stories that had flooded the town in their absence.

They were enthralled in her stories, often stopping Mac to ask questions or congratulate their son (the word causing a wince she hoped wasn’t audible each time) on his (even worse) bravery. He (please stop) had become such a good man (Celestia please make it stop) since they had left.

“I need some air,” Mac said as he, no she, stood up suddenly. She had made it as far as telling them about their youngest’s Cutie Mark, having conveniently skipped over the events of the preceding Sisterhooves Social. She still had a lot to tell her parents about, what with Sugar Belle and their relationship, before she got to, well, herself. But something was wrong. Each time her parents said something without knowing it hurt, it hurt so much. Why couldn’t she tell them, it should have been the first thing from her muzzle. They didn’t mean it, they wouldn’t, they loved Big Mac.

The place they were in had shifted. Gone were the cozy blankets and hay bales that had filled the barn, replaced with so much ash. The trees had gone fallow and Mac was once again glad she could not smell in her current state, rotten pears littering the ground. Her parents took no notice, she wondered how, wherever they were, they were perceiving the situation. They hadn’t registered any of Mac’s discomfort after all. Perhaps whatever they were kept them from noticing the bad? Mac had assumed they were spirits, angels even, but she couldn’t be sure. They could just as easily be hallucinations, her own subconscious attacking her.

She looked up to the sky, hoping to see stars, surely it was midnight by now with how long she had talked. What she received instead was a sky of flames and stone, seemingly descending, slowly, but enough to register and set her claustrophobia off. This wasn’t good. She had to fix this or get out of here. But she couldn’t leave her parents, they needed to know so much, they had such little time with their kids. They’d never gotten any time with her, not as her.

Mac tore her eyes away from the sky, and looked back to the barn. Her parents had concerned looks on their faces, Buttercup was approaching, a hoof outstretched as though to place it on her shoulder.

“Son?” she questioned, why did it have to be that. Big Mac backed up and bolted, but she couldn’t make it far. The ground had turned to quick sand beneath her, and she was being dragged in.

Her parents rushed to help her, grabbing onto her hooves as tight as they could, but under their strained exertion they kept saying it. Son. Each instance dragged her down deeper, she almost wished she would go under and this trip would be over. She looked to the sky once more, hoping to at least make this memory not associate with her beloved parents faces.

That’s when she saw her again.

“You have to tell them. It’s harshing your mellow, you have to let them know!!”

“We’ll save you son!!” Bright Mac said once more.

I’M NOT ANYONE’S SON!!” shouted Big Mac, and everything seemed to freeze.

“I am Big Macintosh. I always have been. But I am not a son. I am a woman, your daughter, sister to Applejack and Apple Bloom, beloved girlfriend to Sugar Belle, and the proudest mare in all of Ponyville!!”

Buttercup and Bright Mac froze for several seconds more, hooves still grabbing Big Mac’s. Then they looked at each other, smiled softly, then pulled once more, bringing their daughter out of the ground and into their arms, embracing yet again.

“We’re so sorry, girl,” Buttercup began, “We didn’t know, we should have asked, what with the hair and the confidence and,”

“I didn’t meant to cause you any pain,” added on Bright Mac, “I only wish we had been around to help you find yourself sooner.”

“It’s okay Ma, Pa. I should’ve told you at the start. I waited so long to tell everyone else, and I didn’t want to jump the biggest news on you first.”

Buttercup held her daughter’s face in her hooves. “We love you Mac. We’re so proud you made it this far. We wish we could see more of you like this. We’re so sorry.”

“I say we make the most of what time we have here. You mentioned a Sugar Belle? I always knew my girl would find a special somepony.”

Mac chuckled, relieved. She and her parents spent what felt like hours talking about life and how things were. The friends she’d made, the stories she’d heard and been a part of. She could have talked for hours more, but he approached the family once more.

“Big Mac, I think you’re starting to come down my friend.” said Stoney Pony. Mac could feel it of course, much as she’d love to deny it.

“Will I be able to see them again?” she asked the alicorn.

“I may govern the world of highs, but to be honest I, like, don’t even know dudette. I’ve yet to see a weed world repeat itself, but anything is possible.”

Big Mac turned to her parents and embraced them one last time. They didn’t say a word, they didn’t need to. They knew, even apart, they were a family. None of them knew how long it’d be, but they’d be together again some day.


Big Mac was back in her body, she could tell cause her head was sorer than that time she fell in a pit trying to marry her sister’s teacher. She looked over to check on her friend. This was supposed to have been a trans woman night out, but it was clearly sunrise already. Fluttershy was seemingly just coming to as well, her forming blush making it clear she had realized her mistake. Mac decided she’d let her off for it. The result hadn’t been half bad. Pinkie was getting a talking to though. But first, she had to let her sister’s know just how proud their folks were.

Author's Note:

and there we go!! a nice ending!! hope you like it, i spent way more time on this than any other writing i've ever done

Quick edit, I have changed the one time Stony Pony is referenced with gendered pronouns to be her proper gender!! Can't believe I never noticed that!!

Comments ( 2 )

Goofy premise but nicely wholesome core. Got me crying for a solid minute too as my own dad passed before I figured myself out. I know I wish I could talk to him again and tell him everything he missed and how much happier I am with myself. Thanks for writing this, I relate to trans big mac a lot.

11769914
This means the world to me. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! Thank you!! :eeyup::heart:

Login or register to comment