• Published 17th Apr 2023
  • 190 Views, 0 Comments

Tales of Equestria: Griffon Wings - Noratcat



Eight years after Rainbow Dash makes an important decision, her adopted son attempts to deal with the knowledge of his origins

  • ...
 0
 190

Chapter 3

Rainbow Dash didn’t know what to expect the next morning. She supposed she should remain optimistic for as the old saying went “Tomorrow is another day”. But even then, Rainbow Dash was at least realistic, she knew her son wouldn’t get over this so easily. Her morning routine went by in a gray monotone. She wasn’t her usual confident self, that much was clear. The same could be said for young Gale.

The mother and son pair had their usual routine down to the finest detail. Every move was so entwined they would appear to be choreographed. That was the definition of their bond. From the day Rainbow Dash first held Gale within her hooves, the bond was there. But now, that bond was gone, or rather broken, and almost anything could be repaired. That’s what Rainbow Dash hoped as she prepared Gale’s breakfast.

Sizzling pans and strong smells filled the air of the household. Since Twilight’s reign had begun, new advancements in food had been introduced. With new creatures coming to Equestria, it soon became apparent that their rather unique diets could not be ignored. Not every creature in the world was vegetarian, some loved meat. Even dragons partook in it. Gems may have been a staple of their diet, at times they were known to eat something else, even if it was the flesh was freshly caught prey. That wasn’t to say they were savages. Compromises were made and that’s when somecreature got the bright idea to introduce a substitute. It wasn’t tofu, but rather a fake meat of sorts made from plants. There were differences to be sure, but the taste was almost identical, one couldn’t tell the difference. It was enough that ponies could see what the fuss was about with meat products, fake notwithstanding.


“Hey,” Gale’s tiny voice spurred a gasp from Rainbow Dash.

The mare turned around and noticed her son taking his usual seat at the table. A broad smile crossed Rainbow Dash’s face and she quickly made up the breakfast plate.

“Good morning son! Hungry?” Rainbow Dash placed the plate on the table, “We got eggs, pony-safe bacon, and toast!” Sure enough, the plate was filled with a standard balanced breakfast, “Even got your grapefruit and your juice!”

Rainbow Dash certainly had pulled out all the stops for her precious baby boy, but Gale hardly shared the sentiment. His beaked face momentarily broadened in surprise, before falling back into a frown.

“Gee...thanks,” Gale numbly ate away at his breakfast.

Rainbow Dash’s face fell but soon joined her son. The mare’s chewing was just as numb as her son’s, but it didn’t make the meal taste worse.

“So...we’re practicing some new maneuvres today,” Rainbow Dash mentioned, of course referring to her duties with the Wonderbolts.

Commuting to the Wonderbolts Academy from Ponyville wasn’t a hard tribe. Gale was used to it and in the past always knew his mother made it home in time. Not to say Rainbow Dash didn’t teach him independence. He had been left home alone plenty of times, but longer trips always warranted a babysitter.

“That’s nice,” Gale responded.

Staring at the young griffon's eyes, Rainbow Dash caught a flicker of light. It might have been a trick of the peering sunlight, but she took the chance.

“Yeah your old Ma here is going to do some killer loops, I swear next show we are going to blow them out of the water!”

Gale briefly looked up, interest shining in his eyes, “Really?”

“You bet kiddo..., if you wanted, I could ask Spitfire if I could give you and a friend front row seats,” The Wonderbolts knew Gale, and top row seats wasn’t anything he wasn’t used to, but the offer had never been extended to a friend, “If you want?”

Gale turned his head away and said, “I’ll...think about it.

This prompted a smile on Rainbow Dash’s face. She was getting somewhere at least, “Good...good,” Her eyes quickly darted to the clock on the wall, “Okay bud, hurry up with breakfast, you have school.”

“Right,” Gale responded, quickly scarfing down his food and darting for the door without so much as a word.

“I love-” Rainbow Dash didn’t get a chance to finish her sentence as Gale exited their home.

Hanging her head down, Rainbow Dash muttered a small, “You.”




XXX




Gale’s trek to school was a routine long engrained into him. It was so much that he could walk the path to school blindfolded. When one lived in Ponyville for their young life, it wasn’t such a hard trek. Gale soon made it to the front door alongside several other colored flanks. Stepping into the schoolhouse, he spied his usual seat. He grabbed his chair, the legs making a small scratching noise as it slid against the wood floor.

He was just about to sit down when-, “Hey Birdie!”

Gale froze and he felt his back feathers rise; he knew that voice, and it made him scowl. Turning towards the door he noticed a crimson-red Pegasus pony colt stride in. His mane was a dark black, with a pair of white wings upon his flank.

Crimson Streak, his number one tormentor and rival. Gale scowled as Crimson trotted to his seat, right next to him. The young colt glared at him with a confident smirk.

“So Birdie, how’s things with your so-called mom?”

Gale tightened his position in his seat, “That’s none of your business!”

“Oooh touchy eh? Well, I guess it’s not too important, it isn’t like she’s your ‘real’ mom!” Crimson added with a snicker.

Gale scratched against his desk. As he removed it, he noticed tiny claw marks etched onto the wood. He swiftly hid his claws and waited for class to start, hiding his embarrassment to the best he could, but he couldn’t help his feathers puffing up.

“Okay, class please settle down,” Cheerilie’s voice spoke up against the combined chorus of the children’s voices.

Every creature quieted obediently as they diverted all of their attention towards their teacher. Cheerilie was still going strong in the teaching game. It was her calling and talent, and one that served many students on their paths to adulthood. She had taken many students in her life, Gale being her first griffon one. As Gale noticed his teacher beginning her lesson, he wondered if perhaps she had known the truth. Of course, she knew, that thought alone made Gale banish the silly question from his mind. Cheerilie wasn’t dumb, even she could have seen the obvious truth while looking at him and Rainbow Dash.


“Now, before we start today’s lesson, we have a new student joining us today.”

Cheerilie’s words spurred murmurs among the class, even more so when they noticed whom Cheerilie was motioning into the classroom. Everyone had expected the trot of pony hooves but instead found the clacking of claws. A creature entered, on two legs instead of four, arms huddled around each other as they stood next to Cheerilie.

“Everyone, I’d like you to meet Dodger,” Cheerilie announced, “Dodger, why don’t you introduce yourself to the class?

The aforementioned Dodger was a black and white colored creature, covered head to toe in fur. He had a long snout and a tail, and it was clear as day he wasn’t a pony: he was a diamond dog. To Gale, however, he wasn’t just any diamond dog, he was the same diamond dog he had seen moving into Ponyville.

Dodger scratched his claws against the floor, his tail hanging limply behind him, “Um...hi, I’m D-D-Dodger...my parents and I moved here from A-A-Abb-b-b-is-s-s-ssia.”

A couple of snickers sounded out as the diamond dog pup did his darndest to pronounce his words, but a quick disapproving glare from Ms. Cheerilie silenced them.

“Abbyssia? Isn’t that the place with all of those cats?” Crimson Streak bluntly inquired.

Dodger glanced over at the appropriately named colt and said, “Y-Y-Yes?”

Crimson Streak pondered a moment, “But, you aren’t a cat.”

Glancing away, Dodger responded, “Yeah, b-b-b-but my p-p-p-parents are.”

“What kind of dog has cats for parents!?” Crimson blurted out.

“That’s enough Crimson, Dodger why don’t you take a seat over there?” Cheerilie halted any potential teasing by squashing it before it could begin.

Dodger obeyed and scurried his way through the hoard of desks before finding one that he wanted: right next to Gale.

Gale observed the diamond dog for a moment, before returning his gaze to the front of the class.

Cheerilie’s lesson went on until it was time for recess. As soon as the bell rang, everycreature piled outside enjoying the freedom from the bonds of learning. Gale felt the wind breathe against his wings as he spread them momentarily. It was nice to get a break and he almost took to the skies, but kept those desires silent. To be honest, he didn’t very much feel like flying the more he thought about it. But he did want to play, and the playground had enough to keep a child entertained.

So many choices presented themselves, but Gale’s eyes were directed towards the commotion going on by the merry-go-round. He noticed a large group of foals surrounding the spinning equipment, but one voice spoke out amongst the group.

“So where’s your real parents doggy?”

Gale frowned as he recognized it as Crimson Streak. It always seemed whenever a kid mob formed, Crimson was at the head of it.

“B-B-B-but I have real parents.”

The stutter indicated it was Dodger. A break formed within the group of colts and fillies allowing Gale to finally see the frightened canine.

“You’re a dog, they’re cats, they aren’t your real parents!” Crimson declared, a haughty tone creeping into his voice, “So did they throw you in the trash or something? Or was it a litter box?”

Dodger curled himself up, hugging his body. Even from the distance he was standing, Gale could tell the onset of tears coming on. He supposed that came from being part eagle.

“Hey!” Gale spoke loud and clear as everypony stopped to turn and look at him.

The group dispersed leaving Crimson alone to face Gale, as the two boys stared each other down. Taking several strides towards one another, Gale and Crimson stood face to face.

“What do you want Birdie?” Crimson made certain to put extra emphasis on the word ‘Birdie’.

Gale took the verbal hit, shrugging it off as he shook and letting the venomous words sink into his blood, “I’ll keep it simple, leave the new kid alone!”

“Why? You his buddy or something?” Crimson dared.

“Just leave him alone okay? Don’t you have anything better to do?”

Crimson continued to stare at Gale before giving a scoffing laugh, “Whatever, I guess you two could hang out since you both have fake moms.”

Once more, Gale took the hit as the arrogant pony trotted off leaving the pair behind. Digging his talons into the dirt for the moment, Gale released his grasp, but staring down at the ground, he noticed clear marks. He just hoped the groundskeeper wouldn’t mind.

“T-T-T-Thank you.”

Gale shot his head up and observed Dodger uncurling himself. The diamond dog pup’s tail wagged for a brief moment, ending as Gale’s eyes glanced at him.

“Don’t mention it,” Gale replied.

Getting back on his feet Dodger licked his lips, not out of hunger, however, “I-I-I-I didn’t k-k-k-know there were other c-c-c-creatures at this school.”

“I was the only one, but the School of Friendship has way more,” Gale had visited the School of Friendship several times. Rainbow Dash did some teaching there now and then, barring her duties to the Wonderbolts.

“I’ve heard of that p-p-p-place,” Dodger stuttered, “It was m-m-m-made by a princess, right?”

“Yeah, Princess Twilight, she’s friends with my mo-the pony I live with,” Gale quickly switched out words.

Dodger’s ears rose and his tail wagged even further, “Wow, I n-n-n-never met anyone who k-k-k-knew a princess!”

“Eh princesses are just like anypony else...cept all royal and stuff,” Gale responded with a shrug.

“S-S-S-Still it’s s-s-s-so cool!” Dodger replied, his tale wagging before coming to a stop, “Say, what’s y-y-y-your name?”

“I’m Gale,” was the griffon’s quick response.

“Hey Gale, d-d-d-do you want to p-p-p-play together?”

A tiny whine accompanied Dodger’s speech pattern, and almost on instinct, Gale found himself saying, “Sure.”

The minute Gale said that Dodger’s tail went into a full-on wag, and for a moment, Gale couldn’t help but feel happy as well. At least he could say he may have made a new friend today.

Author's Note:

Surprised to see a chapter of this eh? I haven't been inspired lately tbh. Let's see if I can change that.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment