• Published 24th Sep 2012
  • 3,041 Views, 248 Comments

The Recluse - Live Light



Lone Light, a pegasus hermit, is about to be brought back into the world of socializing.

  • ...
6
 248
 3,041

Chapter 10: Being Honest... eh. Part 2

Light blinked. "Err... what test, and why does Fluttershy need to leave?" He asked.

"'Cause Ah'm testin' yer honesty, that's why." Replied Applejack.

"Ah. Right. Because this is the second test I've had that's had to do with an element, and so far, you're the fourth one I've been tested on. Well, technically third, because the first one was really me speaking to Fluttershy. But anywa-2

"Can we jest get on with the test?"

"-Okay."

And so began Applejack's barrage of questions.

"Are you, or are ya not happy with bein' a hermit?"

"If you asked me that before this happened, I would have said yes. So right now... No."

"Ah see." I should say 'I see' like that. "Have you ever dreamed of bein' somepony important?"

"Even without being a hermit, I think attention like that is a bit much, so no."

"'kay. How're ya findin' this social restart thing so far?"

"I'm willing to continue, as I've relived great memories of being a party pony."

"Ya were?"

"Yeah, I was good friends with Pinkie, mostly because I got welcomed into Ponyville by her, which I hear she always does for everypony, and as a result, I helped plan parties with her."

"Ah see..." Stop that, it makes me wanna use that more... "Were th' two of you... close?"

...Now I'm a bit uncomfortable. Still, answer honestly. "...Not really."

"Did ya 'like' her?" ...Shush you.

"I...did... But don't tell anypony that, since I don't anymore, just as a friend." He replied with dim, unimpressed eyes.

"I won't, Light." Yay, honesty.

"Now... what's yer opinion of Rarity, seein' how you've yet t' meet th' others?"

"Well... Rarity seems okay, but her obsession with fashion and cleanliness-is-next-to-godliness is off-putting, and rather annoying."

"Have t' agree with ya there. We've had our differences, but things aren't as bad now. Anyway... what's yer opinion of Fluttershy?"

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

"Well," Light calmly began, "She's very kind, nice, and is very good with the animals."

"See, that's not so much opinion, it's more fact. What's yer opinion?

ARHGLEBARGLE!

"...Well... She -is- very kind and nice. I think she's probably the kindest anypony will find."

"Y'might be right. Anything else."

PLEASE LET ME GO HOME.

"Also the nicest anypony will find?"

"Aaaaand?"

...I bet she's thinking, 'U MAD?'

"Don't see why there'd be another answer."

Applejack's eyebrow raised. "Don't see why not."

Light's eye narrowed. "Why is that?"

"...No reason..." Worst. Liar. Ever.

"Just answer my question."

Applejack rolled her eyes. "Next question's th' best answer ya'll gonna get."

Light shrugged. "So let it be said... so let it be done." ...I should make that a catchphrase.

"Alright, here's the question... have y'had a Special Somepony before?"

"Next question." Light said immediately.

"We ain't doin' the next question 'till one'a my questions get answered." Applejack insisted.

"I'd like to." Light resisted.

"Well, too bad, answer th' question."

"No."

"Yeah."

"Nope, nope, nope."

"Consarn it, don't avoid th' question!"

"I'm happy enough doing that, thank you very much."

"Well, Ah'm not happy with it!"

"I'm not happy with the question."

"Why not?"

"It saddens me..."

"How can it sadden ya, it's just a mare, there's plenty ponies out there."

"That's what they all say, that she's just a mare. She was the world to me, alright?"

"So that's a yes to my question?"

"Pretty much. now stop BOTHERING me about it." Light almost yelled, putting emphasis on Bothering, almost violently.

"No need t'get hostile about i-"

"Sssshhhh."

"What!?"

"Sssshhhh. It's a more polite term for when one wants someone to shut up."

"You've done it n-"

Light was no longer having it. "Oh, SHUT UP. YOU MAY NOT REALIZE THIS, BUT SOME PEOPLE HAVE ENCOUNTERED THINGS THEY FOUND TRAUMATIC, YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE MARE IN QUESTION!? NO, YOU DON'T, AND YOU DON'T DESERVE TO. BUT WHAT YOU DO NEED TO KNOW, IS THAT IT'S THE REASON I DIDN'T WANT TO SHOW MY FACE TO ANYONE AT ALL, THEN YOUR SISTER AND HER FRIENDS DESTROYED MY HOUSE, BUT NOW THAT I'M RECEIVING HELP FROM YOU PEOPLE, I'D LIKE TO LEAVE THE PAST BEHIND, AND IT'D BE BUCKING BRILLIANT IF YOU WERE LESS INTRUSIVE ABOUT THESE MATTERS, BECAUSE IT DOESN'T HELP ME! YOU GOT THAT!?"

After that, Applejack was speechless, and just looking at the ground. Light, after seeing this, immediately felt like he'd done the stupidest thing in his life so far. He'd just yelled at the pony who was trying to help him (Rather intrusive about his bad memories, but surely there's a good reason), and that pony happened to be a friend of Fluttershy's. What would she think? You... bucking disgrace... Light put his hoof to his mouth, trying to think of the best thing to say... Say something besides 'I'm sorry.' That's not much to say after you've probably broken somepony's spirit. THINK.

"I-i'm sorry."

Idiot.

"'s okay..." Came Applejack's reply.

Now I'm just surprised.

"I-i know I might've been intrudin' on personal memories... 's just, I need t'know I can trust ya. Only just met you, and, let's just say, between you'n me... Rarity and Rainbow don' really trust ya yet."

"Oh okay." Light simply said.

"Err... d'you think y'could answer one more question? This one'll be taken off th' record."

"...Sure?" If off the record means she isn't mentioning it... sure. ...Well, already agreed to it anyway so... let's hope it is.

Applejack walked a bit closer, and whispered, "D'you 'like' Fluttersh'ah?"

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- ...*Ahem* Buck it, might as well.

Light sighed in defeat. "...Most likely..."

Applejack's eyes looked left and right, checking if anypony was listening. To be honest, she probably should've checked before asking, but to be fair, she did just recover from being yelled at. Applejack seems satisfied nopony's around.

"Alright... I won' tell nopony about it..."

"Thank you... why'd you want to know, though?"

"She's real delicate, y'know that, right? If you two're gonna end up t'gether, I jus' wanna know she'll be safe, 'kay?"

"Well... sure... but how do you know if we'll end up together or not? I don't know if she likes me back, or not."

"Ah don't. Ah just think you'd be right for'er."

"Really?" Light was somewhat confused, yet seemed almost happy.

"Eeyup."

Light smiled. "Thanks, Applejack. Lesson over?"

Applejack nodded. "Less'n over. Fluttersh'ah! You c'n come back now!"

Fluttershy came out of the barn about 10 seconds later.

"I-is everything alright? I-i heard y-yelling. Where did i-it come from?

There was a moment of awkward silence. Then Light spoke,

"Well... I have no idea. But I wish to forget that happened."

"Me too." Applejack agreed.

"O-okay... umm... so are you finished?"

"Ah huh." Light responded. I think I used to respond like that before. I dunno. "Shall we go back then?"

Fluttershy nodded. "O-okay. Bye, Applejack."

"See ya, Fluttersh'ah."

Fluttershy and Light made their way to Flutters' cottage. Apple Bloom came out of the barn to speak to Applejack.

"AJ, what was that yellin' all about?" She asked.

"Ah'll tell ya later, Sugarcube." Applejack responded.

"Okay." She said, apparently dropping the issue.























"What's a 'demonspawn'?"








AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hm. I think that went well. As said before, I'm running out of ideas. Please let me know what Rainbow Dash should do for the upcoming test. Otherwise, I might give you something that you don't want, or something you do want, but was done wrong. Until next time, meanwhile, I'm gonna take this kebab, and walk into a bathroom for old time's sake.

...Okay, maybe not. I'm just gonna run now after clarifying a few things...

1. I do not look like that.

2. I do not eat kebabs, nor do I take them into toilets.

3. The Howie Scream, as presented here, is my favourite recycled cinematic scream. I call it recycled because it means it's been used in other movies sounding the same. Like the Wilhelm scream. But anyway.

Bye bye.