• Published 9th Sep 2022
  • 6,307 Views, 1,232 Comments

Approaching Apotheosis - KKSlider



When the days draw short and the nights grow long, the line between friend and foe becomes harder to see. The formerly-human King Phasma must stand strong with his friends against the encroaching dark.

  • ...
29
 1,232
 6,307

0- Genesis

“We have anywhere from six months to two years before the world ends.”

“That’s one Tartarus of an opener,” Celestia remarked as she took a swig of her whisky-infused coffee.

Everyone in the room stared at the changeling scientist as she gave her ultimatum. In various levels of dread, fear, and acceptance, the gathered heads of state took the news rather well.

King Phasma sighed, “Six months to two years? When I said ‘keep it short,’ I didn’t mean that short. Give us the slightly longer version.”

The changeling did as she was ordered, “Of course, Your Majesty. Your Highnesses,” she bowed to the other princes and princesses present. “We have determined that the spell holding back the Umbrum and the Nightmare King, King Sombra, will hold for a decent amount of time. How long is difficult to say– but we have confirmed which parts of the containment spell will fail first.”

The changeling pointed to a cork board behind her, where several maps and diagrams were pinned. One by one, the gathered royals took in the details. The pony Princesses– Celestia, Luna, and Cadence– conferred with each other quietly. The two changeling princes, Prince Thorax and Prince Pharynx, shared a look of unambiguous confusion.

“The spell is divided into two parts,” the scientist explained, pointing to one set of diagrams. “Both are projected from Panar’s Gift, the crown located in the throne room of the First Hive, Nisir. The first spell is a physical containment spell. The entire area that was once known as The Crystal Empire has been cordoned off. The second part of the spell is the temporal containment. The entire corralled area has been frozen in time. Preliminary analysis reveals that this temporal containment will fail first.”

“Do we have any estimates for when that will happen?” Celestia asked.

“It could take anywhere from months to years,” the changeling shook her head. “It already is showing signs of severe degradation. The spell’s effects are likely breaking down as we speak. This is a glacially slow process, thankfully, but we lack the knowledge or expertise to safely change the spell. Suffice to say, this spell was cast by a long-dead changeling monarch, and only he would know how to change any of it without the whole spell collapsing.”

“Then we must prepare defenses!” Luna declared.

“The physical cordon will continue to exist,” Phasma said. “Does that mean that we know where they’ll attack?”

The scientist pointed to a theoretical map of the spell’s extent, “Judging by what we’ve seen, there is one weak point in the spell’s physical barrier: Nisir itself. The Nightmares will attack the city with the intent of destroying the crown and its spell.”

“We have our battlefield, then,” Prince Pharynx grunted. “We will make Nisir into the greatest bastion Equus has ever seen. When the Nightmares come, we will throw them back.”

Celestia smiled, “We have the luxury of choosing the battlefield, yes. But we will do more than throw them back into the Crystal Empire: I want King Sombra destroyed and the Crystal Empire saved. If we destroy the Nightmares at Nisir, we might yet save everypony within the lost Empire.”

“We would have to lure them in,” Phasma pointed out. “Get them to fully commit to the assault. The presence of a changeling’s Weave, probably my own since Sombra and I have, err, ‘met,’ will do.”

Luna stood up, “If you must be there, so shall all of us! When this Nightmare horde arrives at the mountain of Nisir, they will be met with the greatest army the world has ever seen!”

Cadence agreed, “An alliance of changelings and ponies. Three alicorns and three changeling royals– four if we can get Chrysalis there.”

“Never before in recorded history have so many demigods gathered for one battle,” Celestia murmured. “Let’s try not to collapse the mountain down onto us. Do you hear me, Phasma?”

The changeling king waved a hoof, “Yes, yes. I get it. I promise I won’t detonate this underground city. It’s our city, after all. I want to keep it in one piece.”

“The Crystal Empire’s capital is a four-day journey by hoof from Nisir,” Celestia realized. “That means once the spell ends, we have some time before they come. We… don’t know if they can fly, gallop without stopping, or if anything would delay or speed their journey…”

Luna picked up where her sister left off, “Then we must assume that the siege will begin two days after the spell fails. Airships can make the journey from Canterlot to Nisir in one day. That gives us a whole day to dig in and prepare what defenses we already have. Phasma, would you permit a few divisions of Royal Guards to prepare the city?”

Phasma sighed, “I’m already allowing in pony scientists. I’ll have the drones there coordinate with the engineers to preserve what we can, and prepare the rest of the city. We’ll turn the place into a killbox.”

“Killbox,” Celestia repeated. “I suspect you can offer some insight on how to prepare this city, then. Urban warfare has been… unexplored in Equus’s history. By the time the fighting gets into the city, the battle is always already lost.”

Phasma nodded, “Sounds about right. Urban fighting has only been an extensive subject since about a hundred years before I… died. I’ll see what I can add to our plans and training. The changelings have already been trained in urban fighting, I’m sure they can help train the Equestrians, too.”

“Then we have a plan set,” Celestia announced. “King Phasma, have you determined who will be in charge of Nisir in your permanent absence?”

Phasma pointed to Prince Pharynx, “Since I will be living in Canterlot and potentially establishing a new city in the caves beneath, Prince Pharynx has agreed to prepare the city in my absence. For now. We have yet to come up with a long-term system– even though permanently putting Pharynx in charge would solve a lot of issues.”

“I’ve told you no,” Pharynx replied.

“Right,” Phasma sighed.

“In that case, I believe we are done here,” Celestia continued. “Luna, Phasma, please make whatever changes you must to get the E.U.P. working together and training for this war. I will begin the withdrawal from the borders of the Badlands and the restationing of the garrisons. The majority of our army at Nisir will be ponies. As for the rest of our soldiers…. If we fall in Nisir, I’m afraid there is little they could do. We will place a number of divisions outside the mountain to make sure that they do not try to bypass Nisir, but otherwise Equestria will scale back our deployment of guards.”

“We can only station so many in the city,” Cadence agreed. “Ironically, that sounds like a good idea.”

“What about me?” Thorax asked.

“You will be with me in Nisir’s command center when the fighting breaks out,” Phasma told him. “I’d prefer you not get involved in the fighting– but when you do, we will go together.”

Celestia ended the meeting, “This fight will determine the fate of Equus. The entire world is depending on us. We cannot fail. We will not fail!

“As it is woven, so it shall be,” Phasma entoned before stepping out of the meeting room.

Finding his way out onto a balcony, Phasma looked out over the city of Canterlot. The ponies around the Palace were waking up and attending to their morning rituals. Stores were opening up, friends were greeting each other, and the streets were beginning to fill.

Princess Luna walked up beside Phasma by the balcony’s railing.

“Do you think we’ll be ready?” Phasma asked.

“Do you?” Luna asked in turn.

“... It’s gonna be one of those ‘prepare as much as you can’ scenarios, I think. Very common in TV shows, movies, and books.”

Luna chuckled, “There is no dearth of those in Equestria, I am afraid. Regardless, we have faced insurmountable challenges before, and yet here we are. Both of us. King Sombra will be nothing more than another notch on our blades.”

Phasma smiled, though it didn’t reach his eyes, and looked back out over the city, “I wish I had your optimism. Unfortunately, I get the feeling that nothing will be that easy. Before this is all over, we’re going to be digging a lot of graves…”