• Published 9th Sep 2022
  • 6,288 Views, 1,231 Comments

Approaching Apotheosis - KKSlider



When the days draw short and the nights grow long, the line between friend and foe becomes harder to see. The formerly-human King Phasma must stand strong with his friends against the encroaching dark.

  • ...
29
 1,231
 6,288

18- Mandjet

A flash of cyan briefly paused our game of Mahjong. Luna and Cadance, after taking a second to observe the surroundings, made their way over to our table. We were sitting at a luxurious beach resort, enjoying some warm weather. The resort was one I cobbled together from bits of memories, both of hotels I stayed at and commercials of places I would never see.

“Sister,” Luna greeted.

“Sister,” Celestia returned. “Cadance.”

“Auntie,” Cadance returned. “Phasma.”

“Princess of Food,” I smiled.

Cadance rolled her eyes as Luna sat next to me. There was barely enough room for the both of us on my chair, and there were two empty chairs explicitly for the new arrivals, but Luna decided to squeeze in next to me all the same.

“Hey, Luna. I left two seats open for you and Food.”

“I much prefer this one! What are you playing?”

“A game from his world,” Celestia announced as Cadance took a seat.

“It seems…. complicated,” Cadance muttered, looking down at the large assortment of tiles in front of Celestia, myself, and the center of the table.

“It’s like poker, but more complicated,” I said.

Luna picked up a tile and examined it, “What is the appeal of it?”

“Despite its complexity, it's far more relaxed than poker,” Celestia explained. “I’m actually enjoying it, though I fear it will take me a long time to memorize the rules.”

“I would love to learn,” Luna told me. “Deal me in!”

I reshuffled the tiles and laid out four hooves of tiles, not-subtly motioning for Luna to take a real seat. She refused, forcing us to share a single side of the table. I spontaneously conjured up two extra rules sheets for the new arrivals.

“So, what was the business that could not be spoken of at the party?” Cadance asked as she scanned the sheet.

Celestia’s face darkened, “We’ve delayed it long enough. The time has come to put Chrysalis on trial for her crimes against Equestria.”

Cadance glanced at me, “A touchy subject. Why now? Why did you even wait?”

“There’s a lot that goes into this,” Celestia stared at the tiles on the table. “Gathering evidence and testimonies, deciding the best course of plan, picking a suitable time. In addition…”

I was used to relying on changeling’s innate abilities to sense emotions from ponies, but I felt none from Celestia. In the Dreamscape, none of my empathic abilities worked. The basic body language training I received from Chrysalis was of no aid when the Alicorn of the Sun chose to hide her emotions behind millennia of masks.

“It was….” Celestia resumed. “It is not an easy thing to do. Facing her after she killed my friends right in front of me. So much easier to lock her away and forget she existed.”

“That does seem to be your modus operandi,” I joked.

“It is a regressively simple and reliable method of dealing with powerful foes, but redemption clearly offers more rewards,” Celestia remarked, giving me a half-smile. “Chrysalis certainly has a long road if she is ever to… stand with us as equals.”

Luna scratched her chin, “And the secrecy?”

“Some of the things Celestia is suggesting might upset changelings and ponies alike,” I said.

Luna quirked an eyebrow, “Like what?”

Celestia flipped three matching tiles, “Pon. We’ve agreed on a panel of three judges. No jury. As for the judges, we’ve agreed on Coxa, Cadance, and Elder Vigilance.”

“Me?” Cadance pointed a hoof at herself. “Why me and not you three?”

“Phasma and I are far too emotionally involved to be unbiased,” Celestia sighed. “And Luna will also be biased against Chrysalis, as she spent much of her time after the initial invasion cleaning up and dealing with the aftermath of Chrysalis’s decisions. In addition, her closeness to Phasma means that she has been and always will be following his opinions on her.”

“I am more than capable of forming my own opinions!” Luna said, still glued to my side. “It just so happens that Phasma and I agree on this subject; Chrysalis sucks eggs!”

“Up top!” I cheered, high-fiving Luna.

“Alright, I guess that explains me,” Cadance said, playing some tiles hesitantly. “What about Coxa and Elder Vigilance?”

“I wanted Lacewing,” I said, “but Celestia wants a more… level-headed changeling on the panel. I trust Coxa, so ultimately, it’s fine with me. Better him than someone like Thorax, who would be way too soft on the bastard who nearly turned my brain into a piece of modern art.”

“Finally,” Celestia picked up, “Elder Vigilance is an excellent neutral party between our two kinds. Nominally pony-oriented, the thestral tips the scales slightly in Equestria’s favor when it comes to judgment. Given that Chrysalis’s crimes are against Equestria–”

“She’ll also be judged for crimes against drones,” I added.

Celestia paused, “Right, as Phasma said. However, most of the more… severe crimes she has committed were against ponies and Equestria as a whole. Overall, the panel is a fair representation of who she has wronged, filled with overall cool heads and reasonable people.”

“That sounds good to me,” Luna judged.

I shook my head, “There’s a problem that we’ve run into. The problem that would upset changelings, hence the secrecy. The biggest issue with all of this is that Panar directly intervened with our fight and saved Chrysalis’s life. That means that the Goddess has personally spared her and that any judgment rendered against her would be… controversial. The exception to this is if I passed the judgment myself, as I am the Pontiff and therefore Panarthropo’s representative on Equus.”

“Ugh, religion,” Luna groaned. “If I had a grain of sand for every conflict that was spurred by matters of faith, I would have my own shoreline.”

“We were brainstorming solutions right before you two finally arrived,” Celestia explained. “We’re currently stuck without a good enough solution.”

I nodded, “What she said. Also, Riichi.”

“What does that…?” Cadance mumbled, checking her sheet.

“It means I’m about to win. Any suggestions?”

“Already?” Celestia moaned.

“It’s a garbage hoof,” I chuckled. “The only solution I can think of is to have me on the panel, but for previously mentioned reasons, that’s a no-go.”

“So you have to be involved in the decision-making process,” Cadance said. “What if… what if you had some sort of veto?”

“I guess that could work,” I shrugged.

Celestia expanded upon the idea, “What if you had to approve or veto the punishments specifically? That way, we circumvent any issues of you personally being a judge, and you are still involved in the process.”

I frowned, “I’m surprised you want to give me that much power, considering I’m already being watched closely by Cadance.”

“You wouldn’t be choosing the punishments, just approving them,” Celestia explained. “Pon, Riichi. I think I’m getting the hang of this… The three judges would be coming up with the verdict and punishment, and you will have ultimate approval or denial, but you won’t be coming up with the decisions yourself.”

“... That would work,” I nodded slowly. “The changelings would certainly accept that. Would the ponies?”

Celestia sat back as she thought about the question, “... There will be ponies who will decry the trial as fixed with the mere presence of changelings. There’s no convincing them, not without resorting to locking the changelings out of everything to do with Equestria. Any reasonable pony would accept this as being fair. That’s the best we can ask for.”

Luna reached for a tile, “Pon. That’s three of a kind, right?” I nodded, and she continued, “Let us not waste our efforts on those who will never be convinced. We should proceed with this at once.”

The sisters and I looked at the last person present.

“... I’ll do it,” Cadance said. “I’ll sit on the panel. I have to say, though, it doesn’t seem necessary to hold this conversation in secret. I don’t think even the changelings would have cared that much.”

“Perhaps,” Celestia said. “Given the sensitivity of the subject at hoof, I didn’t want to step on Phasma’s tail. Religious affairs can be unexpectedly sensitive on matters that seem asinine to outsiders. At any rate, I also appreciate the opportunity to hang out with you three. Our schedules often pull us apart. I have some functions tomorrow that I’d rather procrastinate thinking about, and you all are an enjoyable distraction.”

Cadance stretched a wing across the corner of the table and wrapped it around Celestia.

“Aww, Auntie! I’ll happily play these grandma-games if it means hanging out with you!”

“Thank you, Cadance,” Celestia smiled.

Luna yawned, “While I would very much prefer to simply lounge around on that pleasant beach over there or even take a dip in the pool, I will play these games designed for senile gossipers if it pleases you all.”

“You can choose the game next time,” I smiled, kissing Luna on the cheek.

“Huzzah! We shall go for a relaxing game of axe-throwing! So, sister,” Luna switched subjects, “what is it that you are doing tomorrow? Something tedious and boring?”

Celestia smiled. But I was getting used to correlating the monarch’s body language with how she really felt. I could tell from experience that she had put just too much effort into the smile for it to be real.

Cadance and I frowned, but both of us stayed quiet.

“... Some ceremony,” she said simply. “As I said, I’d rather not think about it more than I have to. Phasma, have there been any more attacks from Division-P since they targeted that convoy two weeks ago?”

I shook my head, “Tripling the guards and forbidding any ‘random stops’ from the Royal Guard did the trick. There were a few instances where that ruffled feathers with local guard garrisons, but we seem to have thwarted any further attacks. There is a matter of a break-in at one of our Manehattan storehouses, but there’s no proof that it was Division-P.”

“You suspect them nonetheless?” Luna guessed.

“Why wouldn’t I?” I returned, shrugging. “It’s not paranoia if they’re actually out to get you. A number of crates have gone missing, but… With the basis of my little empire being as morally dubious as it is, this kind of stuff was to be expected. Our assets were initially very well guarded, but after moving everything to Canterlot and the Crystal Caves, security in many facilities has been lacking. Vetting trustworthy ponies to employ is a slow process.”

Luna chuckled, “Yet one the changelings must excel at, no?”

I sighed, “Still, whatever it is that Division-P is planning, I just wish they were doing it out in the open.”

“Better the demon I know,” Luna quoted back to me.


The weather was passable.

The sky was overcast, with a light scattering of snowflakes drifting downwards. Fall had been wrapped up and winter was beginning in earnest. The cold weather and light snowfall was the preamble to scheduled dustings later in the week.

Celestia wished it was raining.

Her armor didn’t fit. It was too small around the stomach and hips, too large around her shoulders and chest, and too alien from centuries of unuse. These details were being attended to in time, but time always seemed to run short when it mattered most. Celestia made a mental note to join in combat training with somepony. Whether it was with Luna, Phasma, or Cadance didn’t matter.

A Royal Guard’s armor clanked as he shifted on his hooves behind her.

‘Yes, yes. Time to get on with it.’

She gave Captain Shining Armor a single nod. The Captain stepped forward three paces, halting twenty hooves out from Celestia. He shouted his lines in a commanding tone.

Atten-tion! Swords of The Morning, present arms!”

Celestia held her emotions in check as she stood facing the Captain. She was standing alone in the small clearing between the rows of Royal Guards that lined the courtyard. When Luna and Phasma had heard about the ceremony, both had offered to be by her side. Celestia had refused.

“Swords of The Morning!” Captain Shining Armor called out again. “Present arms for relief!”

Celestia had stood through hundreds of these ceremonies in the past, almost entirely without issue. Never had it been so… cold. Normally, there were four Royal Guards, usually unicorns of esteemed war mage orders, by her side, presenting their golden swords for the Captain to bestow upon the next rotation.

Now, there were four white caskets, each had a plumed helmet colored pitch black and detailed in intricate gold filigree. A flag of Equestria lay smooth across each casket beneath each empty helmet.

The Captain held their four ceremonial gold spears by his side, not letting their gleaming tips touch the ground.

“Warrant Officer Moon Dust, present arms!” Shining barked.

Celestia swallowed bile, “Moon Dust fell in defense of Equestria in the line of duty. Her blade has fallen.”

‘Her skill with a brush was sublime. By the time she retired and honed her practice, I’m certain a piece of hers would have been on display here in the Palace. She fills no canvas now, just a box.’

“Warrant Officer Stitch ‘N Time, present arms!” The Captain ordered.

It wasn’t easier the second time, “Stitch ‘N Time fell in defense of Equestria in the line of duty. His blade has fallen.”

‘His cousin Fleur-De-Lis was as devastated as I was when I broke the news to her. The stallion went through so much heartache. At least his story has a glorious ending. But what use is glory to him now?’

Celestia stood still, waiting for the Captain to announce the name of the third pony who died by her side.

“Rolfor Strength fell in defense of Equestria. His blade has fallen,” she recited at her cue.

‘I’ve gained many new drinking partners, but none can replace him. To think, he dared to make such crass jokes in front of me… Ha, slide down the bar stool!’

She smiled a little bit at the punchline of his joke. The smile was gone by the time she had to announce her fourth failure.

“Green Hoof died in defense of Equestria. Her blade has fallen.”

‘I miss seeing her emerald eyes when I wake up in the morning. I miss the tea she would prepare for me, not knowing that it tasted like boiled mud. It was the thought that counted– but there are no more thoughts from her, now.’

Shining Armor turned to the four ponies behind him, “The Swords of The Morning have fallen! May Harmony welcome them. Who will take their blades, their shields, their duties?”

The first of the four stepped forward and returned the call to arms.

Celestia had dealt with death before. Even death inside the ranks of the Swords of The Morning. The last time was one hundred and thirty years ago when Sharp Tongue died of an aneurysm while Celestia and her guards were attending a festival in Las Pegasus. This was the first time any had fallen in combat, let alone all four at once.

‘Harmony willing, there won’t be a repeat of this ceremony after the fight with King Sombra.’


Luna lurched upright and blinked her eyes rapidly. A piece of paper slowly peeled itself off her face as she regained her bearings. A glance at the steadily-ticking grandfather clock showed the time as one in the morning.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

Luna groaned as she rubbed her head. She had fallen asleep at her desk, with her latest work scattered across its top. Yawning, she rearranged the scattered papers back into their proper order. At some point in the past hour, Phasma had wandered off and left Luna alone to continue their studies. Luna glanced across at the war hammer lying on the pedestal, slowly rotating in the pedestal’s magical grip.

She snorted and regarded their work; mapping every single organic leyline and surface of the half-soul housed within the weapon of war was an extremely tedious task, but the two had completed the duty. While there was not much meaningful progress gained from mapping out the structure of the soul, the process served as an excellent learning opportunity for the both of them. Soulmancy was a field of magic completely new to both of them, and there weren’t any tutors or other guides to pull knowledge from.

‘The price paid for this knowledge is far higher than what I would prefer. To think, I willingly give up what scant hours of sleep I am afforded just for this venture… But if we can somehow bring this Princess Procho back to the world of the living– or worst case, let her pass on peacefully, then it will all be worth it.’

Luna yawned, reclining in her chair as she shut her eyes.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

Her ears twitched at the sound. The monotonous clacks were far more preferable than complete silence, yet Luna still found herself becoming more and more aware of the fact that she was currently alone. It reminded her of the sound of her own heartbeat. That further reminded her of the eons she spent alone on the moon, in almost complete silence…

Luna blinked as she strode towards the double door leading out towards the main hall. Coming to a halt outside, she coughed awkwardly as the two Night Guards snapped to attention.

“I am… going to the kitchens to get something to eat,” she announced.

‘Why am I announcing this? I need nopony’s permission to go where I please in my own home. On second thought, I could very much use the company.’

“... One of you, accompany me,” Luna ordered.

The guards saluted and Luna started to walk away. After a moment, one of the two followed her.

‘Now, where did Phasma go? If I do not find him in the kitchens, then something else must have acquired his attention… Unless he is sprawled somewhere in my study and I missed him. Wherever he is, he had better not be retired to our chambers already. If he has sought the comfort of an actual bed and left me drooling on my desk, I will have his hide! Chitin! Same thing!’

When they finally arrived at the kitchens, Luna was frustrated to find out that the errant bug pony was not present. A quick conversation with the kitchen staff to procure a midnight snack revealed that Phasma had, in fact, stopped by to appropriate some ice cream from the kitchen’s freezers.

Now emboldened with the knowledge that Phasma had acquired ice cream and hadn’t shared any, Luna set out on his trail. With her loyal guard, of course. It wasn’t long before the pair of ponies managed to find the changeling; he was in the middle of a conversation in one of the Palace’s spare studies, specifically the one he had staked out to be his own when he wasn’t lounging around in Luna’s.

“So, what do you recommend we do, boss?”

“Get ready to infiltrate.” Luna recognized that voice as Phasma’s. “All of them. I’ll run it by Luna and get approval, don’t worry about that.”

‘Just who could he be talking to this late? I know he’s no morning pony, but nothing good happens after midnight…’

Luna signaled for the guard to stay as she slowly entered the room, catching the tail end of his conversation.

“And uh… I suppose we’re not doing things the same way we dealt with Double Dealings?”

“No,” Phasma said. “I’m still getting flak for all that. Let’s see if we can capture everyone, turn ‘em over to the fuzz, and get the assets as a finder’s fee. I’ll hash something out with Celestia about that. We may need to offer to return all stolen assets to those who can prove that they owned them, but the lion’s share can be retained.”

Luna now saw that Phasma’s back was to the door as he was speaking to a changeling in one of those magical portal-like communication devices. Luna didn’t recognize the changeling nor his voice, but he seemed to be in an office building. Beside the portal, a small container and a pair of stacked bowls lay forgotten.

Phasma continued, “And if you see anything that seems related to Division-P, go straight to Lacewing. With the raids on our transports, they might have a hoof in this, too.”

The drone nodded, “Straight to Lacewing, you got it, boss…”

Luna bristled at the mention of the zealots.

‘Those damned wretches. How could they even come to exist?! Equestria was supposed to be better than that!’

Phasma suddenly spun around and faced Luna. By his side, a pair of magical curved blades were conjured from thin air. His snarl froze and slipped away as he recognized Luna.

“It’s just you, Luna.” He sighed as he let his combat spell flicker away. “Ever heard of knocking?”

“Phasma. I awoke to find myself… alone in the study.”

He quickly moved to embrace Luna, “Oh, uh, sorry about that. I slipped away to try to get some ice cream for the both of us and, uh, got sidetracked. I didn’t mean to leave you alone.” He broke off the hug and gestured to the changeling patiently waiting on the other side of the magical portal, “Luna, this is Thripps. Thripps, this is Princess Luna. Thripps handles suppliers for the Fifth Hive.”

“Good evening, Thripps.” Luna greeted the drone. “Though I could not help but overhear you talking about something decidedly not related to selling spirits.”

“A pleasure to meet ya, Queen Luna,” Thripps bowed.

“I am a Princess, not a Queen,” Luna corrected, a bit confused.

The drone chuckled, “Not according to my niece. Even if you weren’t involved with the King, you’d still be held in high regard by any changeling, Princess Luna. Even Chrysalis’s supporters– what few still remain– respect you for your help.”

“Err, thank you, Thripps,” Luna frowned. “I am happy to help anypony in need. Now, about running something past me…?”

Phasma cleared his throat, “Thripps is handling Manehattan operations now that we’ve moved shop over here to Canterlot. At least until we can officially find someone to take over that duty. Today– or rather yesterday, something rather troubling happened. A few trespassers were caught breaking into one of our warehouses. Several crates had been hauled off before they were chased away. They had a turncoat on the inside that let them in. While these thieves got away, the turncoat didn’t.”

“And he’s been singing an interesting song,” Thripps chimed in.

Phasma glared at Thripps, “Seems like the other gangs in Manehattan aren’t content with the Fifth Hive monopolizing the alcohol industry, and are starting to make moves against us.”

“That is troubling news,” Luna rubbed her chin. “And you plan on infiltrating these criminal organizations?”

“Yep.”

Luna shrugged, “I see no reason why not. So long as– you have already addressed the Double Dealings incident, never mind. Now, when you say that this traitor was revealing information, did you…?”

Phasma frowned, “No. We didn’t torture the girl, Luna.”

“Just making sure,” Luna tried to placate him. “This is a very sensitive subject, and you have proven willing to use less than scrupulous means in the past.”

“Fine, fine,” Phasma accepted the answer. “That’ll be all, Thripps. Keep me up to date on anything important.”

The drone saluted, “You got it, boss! I’ll make sure Lace knows about anything real bad that I find.”

With that, the portal rapidly shrunk before fizzling out entirely.

Phasma gave Luna a small kiss on the cheek, “Sorry about letting you sleep on that chair. I can imagine that it wasn’t comfortable. And sorry for leaving you alone. I really thought I’d be back before you woke up.”

“It is alright, Phasma. Though, I will not object to a bribe,” Luna smiled.

Phasma hastily retrieved the bribe from the table, “Ice cream is a legal tender in Equestria, right?”

“It shall certainly suffice,” Luna said as Phasma hoofed over a bowl.

Author's Note:

I have a Ko-Fi if you want to support me!