• Published 8th Apr 2022
  • 239 Views, 2 Comments

Shopping - KwirkyJ



Sunset meets with Wallflower on a mall date for some shopping.

  • ...
0
 2
 239

It's Spring (by Technicality)

Spring had sprung, and Sunset had jumped at the opportunity to break out her sundress for the season, with the stellar strap sandals to match. Unfortunately, spring had only just sprung, and the weather was overcast, clammy, blustery, and cold. She fought back chattering teeth as she waved at the worse-for-wear car that rattled all the way up to the curb in front of the mall.

The door opened and the last of a conversation inside wrapped up as Wallflower stepped out. "The schedule's in my case anyway, mom. Don't worry."

"The chicken will get cold if you miss it." The woman in the driver's seat – the hair and face were dead-ringers for Wallflower – leaned over. "Sunset, you take good care of her now, and don't let her miss her bus!"

"I can… right." Sunset shot Wallflower a sly, playfully judgemental glance, though Wallflower didn't take it. "Don't worry, Ms. B, she's safe with me."

"Sunset, please, it's Holly."

"Right… Holly," she said, a more than a little self-consciously. Transitioning to a first-name basis was a little scary.

"Love you, hun!" she called to Wallflower.

"Love you, mom," Wallflower said back. She gave a dutiful wave again and closed the door. Holly waved a last time then trundled off in the rattling – but on longer whining – sedan.

Wallflower turned to fully face Sunset, an unsure smile on her face. "Mall date?"

"Y-yeah," Sunset said, instantly hating the stutter. "Inside?"

Wallflower, unfortunately for Sunset, noticed. "Sunset? You're… you're freezing! How long have you been—"

"Not long," Sunset said, already stepping back towards the food court entrance. "Just… long enough?"

"Sunset! You could have waited inside! It's cold out here!"

"I said-d I'd wait for you outside."

"You're… really stubborn."

Sunset laughed through the shiver. "I really am!"

Just before the doors opened, Wallflower sped up and plowed into Sunset, arms in front of her own chest, like a shield, pressing herself against the back Sunset's shoulder in her special kind of hug. They stop walking. "And you're wearing… well, not much. Thanks for being stubborn. Did you choose to wear that to look cute for me?"

Sunset laid a hand over one of Wallflower's and tenderly turned around. "Well, I wanted to look cute, sure."

"Oh." Wallflower's eyes flickered with disappointment.

Sunset squeezed Wallflower's hand. "Yes, silly, to look cute for you!"

Wallflower brightened, and absently adjusted the purse strap over her shoulder. "Oh."


Sunset held up yet another skirt and blouse combo over an increasingly distressed Wallflower, her brow furrowed. "Wally, you are absolutely gorgeous and I would change nothing about you, but did you know that it's almost impossible to find colors that work with your skin? I almost want Rarity to be here to help, but on the other hand I'm afraid to inflict that kind of trauma… er, cognitive dissonance on her."

"Sunset, really, it's fine. You don't need to be doing any shopping for me."

"Wally," Sunset said, her eyes intense, "this has become a personal challenge. I am going to find something you look absolutely stunning in today, and you're going to love it."

Wallflower squirmed. "I…" Sighed. "Okay, Sunset Stubborn." Another flicker of pain crossed her brow, but Sunset was already back among the racks.



Forty minutes and two exhausted clerks later, Sunset finally had it narrowed down to two options.

"Sunset…"

"With this one, it really pulls all your colors together, and the texture is just… I could grope this stuff all day."

"Sunset, please…"

"But it's not going to work once things heat up. If you're actually going to be wearing something in the near future—"

Two hands firmly landed over Sunset's. "Sunset, stop."

Sunset jerked in surprise. "Wallflower?" The expression being given her finally registered. "What's up? You don't like them?"

"It's not that. Sunset… if I wanted to I still couldn't take these with me." She held up her purse. "I'm busy tonight, and I don't feel safe bringing any bags on the bus."

Sunset shook her head, confused. "I could give you a ride, you know. And what does your purse have to do with anything?"

Wallflower's lips pursed for an instant in a flicker of emotional pain. "It's orchestra rehearsal. Maybe you could give me a ride there, but you have work tonight… you couldn't stay to drive me home. Sunset, this isn't my purse, it's my clarinet case."

"Oh, o— Wait, did you say clarinet?"

"I've been wanting to tell you, but I'm not ready yet, okay? Please pretend I didn't say anything about it."

"I… Um, okay, Wally. I don't understand, but if it's important to you, sure. But back to the clothes, I could just hold onto them and give them to you later. Or drop them off at your house or something."

Wallflower squeezed Sunset's wrists gently, then moved them towards Sunset before releasing in a 'return to you' gesture. "Sunset… What I'm trying to say is… Look, they're really, really cute. They're also really expensive. There's no way I can afford these things."

"I could—"

"And before you say you could buy them for me, that's a bit much, don't you think?"

Sunset gave one of her sly smiles again. "Definitely. For now. But, the more important question, Wally… which one"

Wallflower blinked, appalled. "Sunset… Sunset, didn't you hear a word I just said? I can't."

Sunset laughed, bright and with no trace of malice. "Wally, you're missing the point! We're not buying! We're shopping!"

"What's the difference? You've been tearing through the racks for like an hour now… and you were never even planning on buying any of it? What was the point?"

"The point, Wally, is spending time with you amidst a sea of inspiration."

Wallflower took a moment to think that over, and Sunset gave her the time to do so, smiling gently.

"Oh. Um, in that case, definitely this one. I love the soft fabric."

"I know, right?"

Wallflower checked her phone. "We have another twenty minutes or so before we need to think about food before my bus. Is…" Her eyes raked over the racks, suddenly ravenous. "I wonder if there's anything else you'd look ravishing in."

Sunset grinned at her, wolfish. "That's the spirit."

Comments ( 2 )

This is very cute! :heart:

This was adorkable! :heart:

Login or register to comment