• Published 23rd Mar 2022
  • 175 Views, 5 Comments

Next Gen - Cutie Mark stories - CharlieHazbin77



random mini stories on how the girls earned their marks

  • ...
 5
 175

Midnight's Cutie Mark Story

The sun was setting in Equestria. Princess Luna was getting ready for her night shifts.

"Midnight time for you and Flurry Heart to get to bed.. you have school tomorrow," Luna called from down the hall

"We can't sleep! We're too hyper Luna! plus I wanna stay up and watch the moon rise! and... maybe try that spell you showed me again"

Luna looked at her student with a soft smile and nodded

"One-hour alright Midnight"

"Two hours!"

"Don't push it"

"Alright, one hour it is."

"Flurry, you better go to bed."

"Fine." Flurry rolled her eyes slightly with a smile before running off to her room.


"Are you ready, my young pupil?"

"I'm ready!"

Midnight squeaked excitedly as her tiny horn started glowing.

"I could get it started for you-"

"No, you said I could do this by myself!"

"Okay, okay"

Luna stood back as she watched her young student try to raise the stars.

Suddenly the young filly ended up floating in the air. Instead of raising the stars, she raised herself.

"Huh... AAHHH!! LUNA! HELP!"

The princess of the night zoomed into the sky to catch the young pony mid-fall.

"It's alright Midnight... I got you... it's okay"

“Did I do it?" she asked, but Luna shook her head sadly

“you raised yourself instead of the stars”

“ugh! Moon rocks!” Midnight’s little ears flopped back in sadness

“I’m the last pony in my class to not have her cutie mark yet... Flurry got hers at the Crystal Fair last month! So did Cream when she was baking...”

“your mark will come to you Midnight... maybe now just isn’t the time... you-“

“can’t rush these things I realize... but everypony at school already has theirs. I wanna try this spell one more time!”

Midnight told her teacher in a determined voice as she made her horn glow a luminescent blue.

“I... can... do this!”

Luna observed as tiny lights appeared in the sky for a moment before disappearing

“OH COME ON!!!”

“I told you Midnight... your mark will come when it’s time for it to appear”

“But Luna, I want my mark NOW! Can't you magic one up?”

“afraid not little one”

“it doesn’t work that way I know...” Midnight sighed in frustration. “I’m just too impatient to be patient!”

“well I think you need some sleep, my little Star Gazer”

Midnight looked at her teacher with hopeful eyes.

“Star Gazing!”

“wait!-“

"The castle’s observatory!”

“Midnight, that’s not what-“

“I could get my mark in star gazing! Thanks, Luna!”

“Midnight,” Luna tried to stop her young pupil, but she had already runoff

“Ugh! That child takes after you, Meteor! Where are you when she needs you and Aqua the most?” Luna asked herself before she began her night duties.


The Next Day-

"Sister, have you seen Midnight? She wasn’t in class this morning and Flurry Heart hasn’t seen her all morning either...”

“Oh, my... how did the star raising go last night?” Tia asked Luna in a slightly concerned voice

“Not remarkably well... she was upset that she still didn't have her cutie mark yet... I called her my little star gazer, and she left”

“Didn’t Meteor call her that when she was born?”

“Sister, that isn’t the point... but yes... he called her that when she was born... We should know... We were there as foals”

“Have you checked the observatory? She could be there”

“Of course, sister! That's the first place I should’ve looked!”

Celestia saw her sister teleport to where young Midnight was hiding.

The young foal had fallen asleep whilst trying to stay up all night

"Oh, sweet Midnight... I tried telling you this would not work little one” Luna spoke to herself with a faint smile, looking at her young student asleep near the telescope.

“uh? Luna? Did I do it? Did I stay up all night? Have I got my cutie mark in stargazing?”

“no... that’s what I was trying to say, silly filly. "That's not the way to earn your cutie mark... you just need to be patient and your time will come plus you’re still young”

“But Flurry and Cream have theirs...”

“That may be so, but your time will come, my pupil... now let’s go. Flurry Heart is worried about you”

After a reluctant sigh, Midnight finally gave in to her teacher

“alright... I’m coming, Luna... I can’t believe I didn’t stay awake all night... apparently, there was supposed to be a meteor shower last night... or some sort of shooting star”

Midnight complained as her ears flopped back sadly

“Everypony’s gonna be talking about it and I missed it... and I still haven’t got my mark! This isn’t fair!”

“Midnight! That's enough! As your teacher, I’m asking you to get some sleep... you want to try that star spell again tonight, don’t you? So you can try to get your mark?”

“of course, I wanna try that spell again”

“So sleep... get plenty of rest and later you’ll be focused on what you want the stars to do, my pupil... do you understand?”

“Sleep next focus on stars... yup I know what to do”

"Good to go. I expect you to be well-rested for tonight.”

As Luna said this, she soon flew off to find her sister, leaving Midnight to go to her room and try to get some sleep.


dream sequence

"You don't have your cutie mark yet Midnight... we can’t be friends anymore... sorry blank flank!

"Wait... no Flurry, wait for me... I’m trying to get my mark! We can still be friends I swear!

"Flurry's right... We can't be friends with a blank flank who doesn't even have a family!"

"wha- Cream now you're being mean!... wait where am I? The orphanage! how did I get here?"

"ENOUGH!"

"huh?.... Luna! please don't send me back there!-"

"What... Midnight it's just a nightmare... of course, I won't send you back you silly filly... and your friends will love whether or not you have your mark..."

"A... A nightmare? But it seems real"

"Nightmares can often do that to ponies but believe me when I say Flurry Heart and Cream are worried about you my pupil... you don't need a mark for that, anyway it's almost time... remember focus on what you want the stars to do and the rest will happen..."

Midnight nodded at her teacher before eventually falling asleep again this time with no nightmares. Once she had woken from her nap later that evening she saw Luna waiting on the balcony for her patiently.

"Are you ready my student?"

"I'm ready Luna! I need to focus on what I want the stars to do!"

Luna watched with a proud smile as Midnight moved the stars around to form Luna's cutie mark in the sky. As the young foal concentrated, her horn glowed more and suddenly sent a shooting star zooming across the sky.

"Whoa! did... Did I just do that?" Midnight turned to Luna in surprise, who then pointed to her flank.

Midnight gasped in excitement, looking at what she saw on her once blank flank.

"I GOT MY CUTIE MARK!! What is it? A constellation? A Meteor?" Midnight asked as she twirled around in circles, quickly making herself dizzy.

"Whoo... is my mark giving dizziness to myself?"

With a faint chuckle Luna finally spoke after her student had quietened down "no Midnight, you created a rare sighting in the night sky... it's not very often we see shooting stars fly past Canterlot... as well as my own cutie mark to appear in the sky"

"Oh, I can change it back-"

"No need, I'm staying up for my duties anyway so... I'll change it back later meanwhile you go back to bed... you've had a busy and long night"

"Okay Luna, see you in the morning!"

Midnight ran off back to her room, more giggly than usual but her joy didn't last long as the tiredness finally kicked in, causing her to plop herself on the bed for the rest of the night.

Author's Note:

Whoohoo first cutie mark story is DONE!! let me know what you think! it may be Flurry's story next! Enjoy!

Please note I will change the order of the girls' marks, if you don't count the younger fillies Minight's is the last to be earned

Comments ( 5 )

Midnight is too adorable! Love the story

11189855
awww thanks so much! you'll learn more about her in the main story heh, honestly I'm having fun writing for her as a filly!

A nice little story that could have been in an actual episode.

11190078
awwww thank yoouu!! I was inspired by a CMC episode/their episodes, I cant wait to do the other girls!

nice can't wait for the next one.

Login or register to comment